PDA

View Full Version : Gen. 3 compatibility? [BATTLEs only]

~*Pearl*~
17th September 2006, 4:34 AM
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3672/02bi9.jpg http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/9014/03md9.jpg

The first video that we got showed us a battle between FireRed and LeafGreen. But since this is an Alpha shot, I'm not relying on it. Not that we need 3rd Gen. Battle hosting, since Wii plays XD:GoD, and supports GCN-GBA, but still I can account how this can work:
- Power up Wii and DS, start PBR.
- Navigate to the VS mode of PBR, and select 3rd Gen. battle (say it existed).
- DS Download Play, with 3rd Gen. Game Pak in.
- PBR downloads the battle system, and reads your team and copis it to the /temp/ from R/S/FR/LG/E.
- It transmits all the commands selected to the Wii wirelessly.
This way it could work. Discuss.
This would help a lot in tourneys when there are people who don't have a DS.

Dragonking
17th September 2006, 7:57 AM
I don't know seems like a lot of work, but maybe.

halloweenghost
17th September 2006, 8:29 AM
It probably will not be compatible to the third gen games... probably only to Diamond and pearl..if you want to use older gens's you'll just have to get the national dex and trade them to diamond and pearl... but hey it could still be possible since it shows the other trainers from the older gen games.. but thats also like the alpha/beta build things can change.. so who knows lol

"O"
18th September 2006, 1:45 AM
They probobly just used those characters to give us a glimpse of the graphics.

AerialAce!
20th September 2006, 2:07 AM
Heck, why not plug the GBA in via GBA-GCN link cable? Wii does support old controllers.

Jiggy37
20th September 2006, 2:21 AM
They probobly just used those characters to give us a glimpse of the graphics.The only problem with that, though, is then why would they bother to create and show off a brand new animation for the girl? (Her pointing to command her Pokemon to use an attack.)

danburite
20th September 2006, 9:08 AM
My theory is that there'll be unlockable avatars of old characters (and other random trainers) for use in online battles. Think Secret Bases. ;)

I mean, it seems unlikely that they'd allow GBA linkage, since pretty much only Pokemon would have a use for it.

Pokemaníaco Desesperado
20th September 2006, 3:09 PM
Meh, I think it will just read the GBA slot when D/P is used to link to PBR. Of course, there must have a 3rd gen battling mode.

Heck, why not plug the GBA in via GBA-GCN link cable? Wii does support old controllers.

Just for NGC games. You can't use a NGC controller for virtual console games, for instance.

Pamizard
20th September 2006, 4:02 PM
I just hope that you can use the GBA Link cable. Aren't there ports for Gamecube controllers?

FreelancerV1
20th September 2006, 6:32 PM
Just for NGC games.

Not true, the controller can be used for Wii games, Super Smash Bros: Brawl for example.

exocet
20th September 2006, 7:40 PM
I think they will be compatible, at least to transfer old pokémon to the Wii game.
A few facts to support my opinion:
-D/P can transfer old pokémon, this means Gamefreak actually wants to allow us to use the old pokés. Wii could do this exactly like D/P do.
-The Wii has 4 GCN controller ports, and it's confirmed to work like one of the other Wii controllers announced (the "Classic" controller, a copy of GCN controller but wireless).
-Wii will have every function the GCN has, this technical information is official (Wii BIOS is built on top of GCN BIOS, after all).
-It's been also announced that all GCN peripherals are compatible with Wii. This includes from the DK Bongos (just a weird controller) to memory cards (2 GCN slots in the Wii), and of course the GBA/GCN cable (just another official peripheral).

Of course I don't think we can trade new data (new pokémon, attacks, etc) so it will most likely work like DS data transfer. By the way, there isn't any problem (theorically speaking) with battling. Handheld games don't need to know the data for what they're fighting against, just damage and some effects (poisoned, asleep etc) to show them in the handheld screen; Wii will calculate everything.

EmberStar the Blaziken
20th September 2006, 11:03 PM
I think it will read the GBA cart in the DS.

Waterup
21st September 2006, 1:26 AM
Character picking, all I'm saying.

AerialAce!
21st September 2006, 3:31 PM
Meh, I think it will just read the GBA slot when D/P is used to link to PBR. Of course, there must have a 3rd gen battling mode.

Just for NGC games. You can't use a NGC controller for virtual console games, for instance.

Not necessarily. It WAS confirmed that Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be able to use the old GCN controller if you want it to. They didn't want to confuse everyone with the new controls.

DragonessKim
23rd September 2006, 6:39 PM
Since the game mechanics haven't changed much from R/S/E/FR/LG to D/P, they could probally manage to handle battles from 3rd gen to 4th gen. The biggest change would be how moves are considered physical or energy, wouldn't it? That doesn't depend on actual pokemon stats. The only catch being, D/P has a big advantage, since they have access to more. More pokemon, more moves. There's a good reason transfer is only one way.

I think they'd most likely just use the DS still if you can use 3rd gen pokemon. It's not like you would need D/P to link up. Colloseum downloaded a small program to the GBA to let you battle, and I bet Battle Revolution will do the same thing.

Chi's Finest
24th September 2006, 9:14 AM
Smash Bros isn't using the Wii cntroller at all, I thought.

I doubt it will be compatible with 3rd gneration. The main thing is that we cna't battle or trade with 3rd gen from DP, so that's all the evidence you need right there.