PDA

View Full Version : Need a new Manga Series...

mugen33
20th September 2006, 2:33 AM
Well i just finished Rurouni Kenshin and it was really great. I already have a bunch of titles (Hunter X Hunter, Eyeshield, Ruro-ken, Shaman King, One Piece) and my friend has some other titles (Monster, Berserk, Death Note, Dragon Ball) so i dont want to get those until much later (its like i have them).

So can anyone help me with Manga reccomendations? Ive had my eye on Battle Royale and Chrono Crusade lately, are those any good? If you havent read those, could you please reccomend me some titles? Thanks a lot.

HK
20th September 2006, 4:17 AM
Well i just finished Rurouni Kenshin and it was really great. I already have a bunch of titles (Hunter X Hunter, Eyeshield, Ruro-ken, Shaman King, One Piece) and my friend has some other titles (Monster, Berserk, Death Note, Dragon Ball) so i dont want to get those until much later (its like i have them).

I'd recommend checking out the four that your friend has. Berserk and Monster are truly excellent manga and two of the most popular seinen titles out there (both are rather contrasting as Monster is a psychological thriller while Berserk is an epic fantasy), and are two of the better manga seeing release over here in North America. For Death Note I fully recommend the first seven volumes, or rather up until chapter sixty-one or so as the story is essentially divided into two parts -- the second part is exceptionally lacking that includes a thrown-together ending while the first half comes off as one of greatest works that I've seen a shounen manga accomplish. Dragon Ball (the first sixteen volumes, at the very least) is quite a fun adventure, and I would recommend checking to make sure that your friend has the first printings as recent printings have certain scenes from the manga editted.

So can anyone help me with Manga reccomendations? Ive had my eye on Battle Royale and Chrono Crusade lately, are those any good? If you havent read those, could you please reccomend me some titles? Thanks a lot.

I can't tell you much on Chrono Crusade (though I have read Moriyama's most recent work, World Embryo, and it seems to have a fair bit of potential in addition to be outright enjoyable), but TSC has given me a fair bit of praise about it. I wouldn't recommend checking out the Battle Royale manga by Tokyopop as the English adaption was mauled over by Keith Griffen; however I do encourage you to check out the novel which both the manga and live-action movie are based on, which is licensed and has been put out by Viz.

If you're wanting to have any further recommendations from me, I can only ask what you're looking for and some of your interests.

mugen33
20th September 2006, 4:55 AM
Im sorry, but what i meant was ive read all of my friends manga, and its like i own it. Sorry for the misundertstanding! Thanks for the detailed descripitons though.

I am interesting in Gintama, but i dont know when (or if) it comes out in America. I am going to buy GTO soon, but thats the only series i am for sure getting (ive read the first 2 volumes and loved it). I like all kinds of manga except for shojo, because ive never really read any of it. Some of my favorite series are Dragon Ball, Eyeshield, Monster, DN, HXH, Ruroken, Akira, Lone Wolf and Cub, and One Piece. EDIT: Also Bleach, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Bobobo (ive only read the preview volume but it was one of the funniest things ive ever read). Do you have any favorite series that you could share with me, that you think i might like? Thanks alot.

Silver Dragonair
20th September 2006, 9:50 AM
Why dont you try, bleach? That's pretty good. Yu Yu Hakusho, is nice too, but the completed series (it's completed in japan) is not out in america yet. The dark tournament however, is almost completed. I reccomend, the anime of YYH over the manga itself. Seeing, that is completed. You could PM me, and I could tell you where to get it. The drawing, is actually not that good, but it is old. (1990 to be exact)

(BTW: Ignore, ALL FANGIRLS of the yu yu hakusho series. They give it a bad name, stay away from it's fanfiction too ;))

Tenjou Tenge is alright, it's got good fighting scenes. It has a so-so story though. At least, they start some serious fighting in like, the first chapter. It's more for action, than for story.

Tim the turtle
20th September 2006, 9:07 PM
Although I can't comment o the Chrono Crusade manga, I have seen the first five volues of the anime. It's pretty damn good so you may want to check out the manga.

My personal reccomendations would be Ikki Tousen/Battle Vixens, 'cause it's awesome, due to the obscene amounts of fanservice (hey I like it ok), the awesome fight scenes and the all round cool characters. A much more mature and serious manga however would be chobits, which has a very nice storyline and good artwork.

That Scary Clefairy
21st September 2006, 12:15 AM
Chrono Crusade is ok. Not fantastic, but I'm sure you'll like it. It does, however, have a great ending.

Gintama isn't out yet in USA but I believe it did get liscense by viz.

GTO is great. recommend you reading it and then read Shonan Junai Gumi, which is the Prequel.

As for Tenjo Tenge, i recommend you downloading the manga instead since the CMX one is hacked and ruined. not just editing but even diologue.

anothers for you to check, Eden: It's an Endless World- If you like Akira for it's post apocolypse genre, you'll gonna love this. very very realistic.

mugen33
21st September 2006, 12:32 AM
I might check out Chobits because my friend was raving about it the other day, and maybe Battle Vixens too. It that sort of like Negima? Ill probably get Eden, it looks like there are 14 volumes. Its out in America right?

Ill probably just get the first volume of Chrono Crusade from the library and go from there. I love GTO so im definately getting that one. And if we hear any news on Gintama ill post it here.

One last thing anybody read Sexy Voice and Robo? Heard that was good but i never read it. Thanks for the reccomendations everyone. If anybody has anymore they want to share with me in this thread, go ahead, im always looking for a good manga.

HK
21st September 2006, 5:01 AM
Im sorry, but what i meant was ive read all of my friends manga, and its like i own it. Sorry for the misundertstanding! Thanks for the detailed descripitons though.

Ah, no problem.

I am interesting in Gintama, but i dont know when (or if) it comes out in America.

If I recall correctly, Gintama is supposed to be the next manga series in the monthly releases of Shonen Jump, but I'm uncertain of the details. Like TSC mention, Viz does hold the license to it.

I am going to buy GTO soon, but thats the only series i am for sure getting (ive read the first 2 volumes and loved it).

I plan on eventually checking GTO out, though I'm still deciding whether or not I want to invest that much money in a twenty-five volume series which is primarily comedy.

I like all kinds of manga except for shojo, because ive never really read any of it.

I myself am still much a "virgin" when it comes to shoujo manga, so I can't recommend any offhand, though TSC has told me some good things about Angel Sanctuary, and Nana is a title being released by Viz that seems to be worthy of its praise.

Do you have any favorite series that you could share with me, that you think i might like? Thanks alot.

Me spewing out my favorite manga? Kid, do you have any idea what you have unleashed?

Put on your seatbelt and ready yourself against the cushions, cuz it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

You seem to have a growing interest, and the fact that you apparently like Akira, Lone Wolf and Cub, Monster, etc. seems to indicate that you're willing to delve into mature manga. So, as a result, I'm going to go off here.

If you enjoyed Akira, then I FULLY recommend checking out Domu: A Child's Dream, also done by Otomo. It is a one-shot (in meaning only one volume), and it has many elements that he in turned used for Akira a few years down the line. Domu is one of the most surrealistic, calmly destructive (you'll see what I mean when you read it), and visually profound (I've always been fond of Otomo's art style since I saw the movie version of Akira, and his use of expressions has always been wonderous) manga that you'll come across. Also, since you mentioned Lone Wolf and Cub, check out Koike's other work released by Dark Horse (who also put out Akira and Domu) such as Samurai Executioner, Lady Snowblood, Path of the Assassin, and Crying Freeman.

For Monster, while Urasawa's other works haven't been published in English (or else aren't readily available), I implore you to check out 20th Century Boys and Pluto either through scans or waiting for their releases over here in North America (20th Century Boys will be released after all eighteen volumes of Monster have been released by Viz, as requested by Naoki Urasawa himself). While 20th Century Boys does lag a bit at times, I consider it to be much better handled and written than Monster is (I still favor Monster as it is finished, had an excellent ending, and also dealt with subject matter that interests me more than 20th Century Boys). Pluto is, like its namesake, downright cold and harsh, drawing you in on conspiracy right from the start of the story.

Tokyopop mainly puts out generic and/or tireless series, but three amazing pieces that I would not hesitate to mention are Planetes, Blame!, and Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad. Planetes runs at five volumes (four for the original publication, but length of the fourth volume had TP release it in two "halves"), and it is one of the most humane and realistic manga that I've ever come across. It is hard sci-fi and doesn't lower itself to anything less, while also dealing a lot with humanity, its role and consequences for their actions in space, and also with one another. Blame! is one of the more unique manga in that it relies little on dialogue but rather its backgrounds to tell its story. Coming off a little rough but still effective, it is a very slow developing manga that I give no doubt to put forth if you have any interest in sci-fi. Beck is the tale of the band by the same name, and while there is no sound, you can still connect to each of their characters' love for music and their dedication to it. Put in some nice humor and good interactions, and you got shelf worthy manga that you'd love to go over and over again. I should also mention that the lone manga that I have, Priest, is interesting to check out and, despite being something of a guilty pleasure, it an entertaining read with the mix of Christianity and spaghetti-westerns.

Del Rey has only got me sold for Eternal Sabbath so far, which is a very good psychological drama that is thriller-esque. An interesting concept that is set up and executed quite well, not to mention some very interesting characters and development to accompany it. However, they have gotten me interested with them licensing Mushishi and Kiseiju (known as Parasyte over here and was previously licensed by Tokyopop). Mushishi is something I've yet to check out (both the anime and manga), but I've heard it be referred to as a masterpiece for its atmosphere and storytelling, and with Parasyte it seems to be an obscure but still quite telling manga worth getting into to.

Dark Horse has provided me a lot of good times, really; it's thanks to them that I got introduced the more deeper and mature aspects of the medium. If you enjoyed Berserk and could handle its visceral style, then I also ask you to check out Eden - It's an Endless World!, which you seemed to show some interest in. Personally I consider it, along with Blade of the Immortal (which I deeply recommend as it has some of the most gritty yet believable characters that you'll find, along with having some downright AMAZING art work), to be one of the best handled manga put out by any North American company. Oh My Goddess!, Trigun/Trigun Maximum, and Hellsing are somewhat standard fare, but each one holds its own and rises above other in their respective genres. Oh My Goddess! is, for all intents and purposes, the original "romantic comedy with harem implications," and it does what so many of its predecessors fail to do: have genuine heart, avoid tripping on its own feet with clichés and badly developed stereotypes, and giving truly entertaining stories. Trigun Maximum (not a sequel to Trigun but rather a continuation) starts out slow and has awkward action scenes, but Nightow eventually steps it up to a reasonable and a slight poetic level starting in volumes six and seven, not to mention that his art has improved by MILES since he first began Trigun. Hellsing is an action manga through and through, so if you're expecting amazingly done characters, intricate plots, and very complex themes, then you're looking for the wrong series. If you are, however, looking around for one where truly awe-inspiring action scenes reign supreme, bad-a*s yet interestingly developed characters go off page after page, and an art style that is so unqiue and can be compared to little else, then you're in the right place.

... Aye, I think I'll stop there for now. I'll come back later (either editting this post or putting up a new one) to finish off some more recommendations I have. Believe me, if you do follow what I've just suggested so far, then you'll be reading for a good long time; if you follow what I'm going to suggest in addition to that, then you'll be wondering how the hell you're going to get some money quickly. ;D

anothers for you to check, Eden: It's an Endless World- If you like Akira for it's post apocolypse genre, you'll gonna love this. very very realistic.

You seem to be really taken to the manga -- a good thing considering that it just keeps on getting better and better after every volume that I've read.

Edit: I was going to mention this with my recommendations for Viz, but I figure that I'd do it now.

One last thing anybody read Sexy Voice and Robo? Heard that was good but i never read it.

Sexy Voice and Robo is a masterpiece that was cut too short, sadly. It is one of the most original manga (both in art and execution) that I've come across, and I'm glad that Viz licensed and it put the two volumes into one. Sadly, because it was cut short, we're left with untapped potential to be cut short of the aforementioned excellence. From diverse characters to a string of seemingly unconnected plot threads we see the world of Sexy Voice and Robo take shape, and there are certain individual manga chapters from it that I would recommend in a heart beat over the majority of manga that is being licensed and translated over here.

Thanks for the reccomendations everyone. If anybody has anymore they want to share with me in this thread, go ahead, im always looking for a good manga.

I hope the above is what you're wanting, and be on the lookout tomorrow for more recommendations by yours truly.

mugen33
22nd September 2006, 1:08 AM
Ah, no problem.

If I recall correctly, Gintama is supposed to be the next manga series in the monthly releases of Shonen Jump, but I'm uncertain of the details. Like TSC mention, Viz does hold the license to it.

I plan on eventually checking GTO out, though I'm still deciding whether or not I want to invest that much money in a twenty-five volume series which is primarily comedy.

I myself am still much a "virgin" when it comes to shoujo manga, so I can't recommend any offhand, though TSC has told me some good things about Angel Sanctuary, and Nana is a title being released by Viz that seems to be worthy of its praise.

Me spewing out my favorite manga? Kid, do you have any idea what you have unleashed?

Put on your seatbelt and ready yourself against the cushions, cuz it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

You seem to have a growing interest, and the fact that you apparently like Akira, Lone Wolf and Cub, Monster, etc. seems to indicate that you're willing to delve into mature manga. So, as a result, I'm going to go off here.

If you enjoyed Akira, then I FULLY recommend checking out Domu: A Child's Dream, also done by Otomo. It is a one-shot (in meaning only one volume), and it has many elements that he in turned used for Akira a few years down the line. Domu is one of the most surrealistic, calmly destructive (you'll see what I mean when you read it), and visually profound (I've always been fond of Otomo's art style since I saw the movie version of Akira, and his use of expressions has always been wonderous) manga that you'll come across. Also, since you mentioned Lone Wolf and Cub, check out Koike's other work released by Dark Horse (who also put out Akira and Domu) such as Samurai Executioner, Lady Snowblood, Path of the Assassin, and Crying Freeman.

For Monster, while Urasawa's other works haven't been published in English (or else aren't readily available), I implore you to check out 20th Century Boys and Pluto either through scans or waiting for their releases over here in North America (20th Century Boys will be released after all eighteen volumes of Monster have been released by Viz, as requested by Naoki Urasawa himself). While 20th Century Boys does lag a bit at times, I consider it to be much better handled and written than Monster is (I still favor Monster as it is finished, had an excellent ending, and also dealt with subject matter that interests me more than 20th Century Boys). Pluto is, like its namesake, downright cold and harsh, drawing you in on conspiracy right from the start of the story.

Tokyopop mainly puts out generic and/or tireless series, but three amazing pieces that I would not hesitate to mention are Planetes, Blame!, and Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad. Planetes runs at five volumes (four for the original publication, but length of the fourth volume had TP release it in two "halves"), and it is one of the most humane and realistic manga that I've ever come across. It is hard sci-fi and doesn't lower itself to anything less, while also dealing a lot with humanity, its role and consequences for their actions in space, and also with one another. Blame! is one of the more unique manga in that it relies little on dialogue but rather its backgrounds to tell its story. Coming off a little rough but still effective, it is a very slow developing manga that I give no doubt to put forth if you have any interest in sci-fi. Beck is the tale of the band by the same name, and while there is no sound, you can still connect to each of their characters' love for music and their dedication to it. Put in some nice humor and good interactions, and you got shelf worthy manga that you'd love to go over and over again. I should also mention that the lone manga that I have, Priest, is interesting to check out and, despite being something of a guilty pleasure, it an entertaining read with the mix of Christianity and spaghetti-westerns.

Del Rey has only got me sold for Eternal Sabbath so far, which is a very good psychological drama that is thriller-esque. An interesting concept that is set up and executed quite well, not to mention some very interesting characters and development to accompany it. However, they have gotten me interested with them licensing Mushishi and Kiseiju (known as Parasyte over here and was previously licensed by Tokyopop). Mushishi is something I've yet to check out (both the anime and manga), but I've heard it be referred to as a masterpiece for its atmosphere and storytelling, and with Parasyte it seems to be an obscure but still quite telling manga worth getting into to.

Dark Horse has provided me a lot of good times, really; it's thanks to them that I got introduced the more deeper and mature aspects of the medium. If you enjoyed Berserk and could handle its visceral style, then I also ask you to check out Eden - It's an Endless World!, which you seemed to show some interest in. Personally I consider it, along with Blade of the Immortal (which I deeply recommend as it has some of the most gritty yet believable characters that you'll find, along with having some downright AMAZING art work), to be one of the best handled manga put out by any North American company. Oh My Goddess!, Trigun/Trigun Maximum, and Hellsing are somewhat standard fare, but each one holds its own and rises above other in their respective genres. Oh My Goddess! is, for all intents and purposes, the original "romantic comedy with harem implications," and it does what so many of its predecessors fail to do: have genuine heart, avoid tripping on its own feet with clichés and badly developed stereotypes, and giving truly entertaining stories. Trigun Maximum (not a sequel to Trigun but rather a continuation) starts out slow and has awkward action scenes, but Nightow eventually steps it up to a reasonable and a slight poetic level starting in volumes six and seven, not to mention that his art has improved by MILES since he first began Trigun. Hellsing is an action manga through and through, so if you're expecting amazingly done characters, intricate plots, and very complex themes, then you're looking for the wrong series. If you are, however, looking around for one where truly awe-inspiring action scenes reign supreme, bad-a*s yet interestingly developed characters go off page after page, and an art style that is so unqiue and can be compared to little else, then you're in the right place.

... Aye, I think I'll stop there for now. I'll come back later (either editting this post or putting up a new one) to finish off some more recommendations I have. Believe me, if you do follow what I've just suggested so far, then you'll be reading for a good long time; if you follow what I'm going to suggest in addition to that, then you'll be wondering how the hell you're going to get some money quickly. ;D

You seem to be really taken to the manga -- a good thing considering that it just keeps on getting better and better after every volume that I've read.

Edit: I was going to mention this with my recommendations for Viz, but I figure that I'd do it now.

Sexy Voice and Robo is a masterpiece that was cut too short, sadly. It is one of the most original manga (both in art and execution) that I've come across, and I'm glad that Viz licensed and it put the two volumes into one. Sadly, because it was cut short, we're left with untapped potential to be cut short of the aforementioned excellence. From diverse characters to a string of seemingly unconnected plot threads we see the world of Sexy Voice and Robo take shape, and there are certain individual manga chapters from it that I would recommend in a heart beat over the majority of manga that is being licensed and translated over here.

I hope the above is what you're wanting, and be on the lookout tomorrow for more recommendations by yours truly.

Gintama looks good, and a bunch of people are talking about it, so i look forward to it.

If you like perverted comedy youll love GTO. Its definately one of the funniest things ive ever read, next to Cromartie and Bobobo. Buy the first 1 or 2 volumes and go from there. Some of the situatons Onizuka gets himself into (espically in the 2nd volume) are so crazy and out there you cant help but laugh. I dont know how the comedy or story goes in further volumes, but what i read of it was "great".

Heard that Nana was good, but havent heard about Angel Sanctuary. One of these days ill pick up some shojo from the library.

Wow. Thank you so much for all those. First, ill definately get Domu. It sounds very interesting and i did like Akira a lot, so i want to get that now. And yes, the Otomo's art is very good. One of my favorites. Ill check out a few of Koike's works that you mentioned; both me and my friend love Lone Wolf and Cub.

Ive heard about 20th Century Boys, and i want to get that, but ill just have to wait until Monster is over.

Luckily all the TP titles you mentioned are at my library, so ill definately get the first volume of all of them and see how it goes. Beck sounds interesting, and i want to read it. Also i read the first volume of Planetes, and it was pretty good. A little slow for me, but it was good. Also i love Monster and Death Note, so you think ill like Blame! ?

Ive heard a ton of people raving non-stop about the Mushishi anime, but i havent heard as much for the manga. Eternal Sabbath sounds great and so does Parasyte. I think i might pick up ES soon, the way you describe it makes it sound excellent.

I want to buy Eden and Blade of the Immortal now that you make them sound of awesome. I think ill like Eden a lot. Is Blade of the Immortal a little like Berserk? Ive read Hellsing, and Oh my Goddess and Trigun are also at my library, so im going to get those along with Priest, Beck, and Blame!. And so many people have been talking about Sexy Voice and Robo, so i decided im going to get it in my next manga buy.

I just have a one more question: Are any of the titles untranslated? Because sadly i cant read Japanese..but i do plan on taking it in college. Once again, thanks so much for all those reccomendations. You helped me out a ton, and i look forward to the Viz part.

That Scary Clefairy
22nd September 2006, 2:38 AM
20th century not out yet but you won't have to wait till Monster is over either. coming in 2007 i believe. As far as I can tell, all those named are in english so no worries, however, Domu might be harder for you to find since it's one of Dark Horse's older manga that not shelved in stores now. probably have to order it or see if a rare comic store holds them.