View Full Version : MTG COTD: Fire Whip

~RaikouRider243~
25th September 2006, 5:08 AM
http://resources.wizards.com/Magic/Cards/TSB/en-us/Card108877.jpg

FIRE WHIP

Weatherlight common, Time Spiral "Timeshifted" reprint

1U: Enchantment - Aura

Enchant creature you control

Enchanted creature has "T: This creature deals 1 damage to target creature or player."

Sacrifice Fire Whip: Fire Whip deals 1 damage to target creature or player.

-------

This card is meh. In a straight red deck it's pretty nice, but I'd rather play Hypervolt Grasp if I can possibly splash blue in. It suffers the weakness of many Enchant Creature cards, but it's decent. 2 mana to turn something into a pinger is pretty nice.

2/5

The_Darkness_Incarnate
25th September 2006, 6:25 AM
At worst this says 1R, tap a creature, Shock. At best it can kill off many 1/1s and keep decks such as Ghazi Glare and White Weenie at bay. I don't see anything bad with it, but I personally would rather run sudden shock or something of that nature.

3/5

klducks
25th September 2006, 6:43 AM
id rather have viashino fangtail or something.

atleast that has a body, a fairly averagebig one aswell (3/3)

The_Darkness_Incarnate
25th September 2006, 7:21 AM
id rather have viashino fangtail or something.

atleast that has a body, a fairly averagebig one aswell (3/3)

Costs about 3 more though.

And the thing that makes whip somewhat worthy of a reprint(not as much as other cards, like say... Firestorm, or whatever the shock on a stick is called), is the fact that it sacks for 1 damage, which turns it into a shock in a worst case scenario. You don't have that option with Fangtail. If it's toughness is more than 1 with fangtail, tough. With this one you have a lot more flexibility. And not to mention again that it's something like 4 turns faster(summoning sickness).

Felix Feral Fezirix
26th September 2006, 1:03 PM
Not bad. It's a flexible Shock. What more could you ask for?

Okay, other than the pinging mage Goblin that can search for copies of itself when played.

3/5.

klducks
27th September 2006, 12:28 AM
Costs about 3 more though.

And the thing that makes whip somewhat worthy of a reprint(not as much as other cards, like say... Firestorm, or whatever the shock on a stick is called), is the fact that it sacks for 1 damage, which turns it into a shock in a worst case scenario. You don't have that option with Fangtail. If it's toughness is more than 1 with fangtail, tough. With this one you have a lot more flexibility. And not to mention again that it's something like 4 turns faster(summoning sickness).
First of all, it costs 2 mana more. Not three.

Second, it doesnt need to be "good" to be worthy of a reprint. It just needs to go along with the flavor of being in an old set. Why do you think squire is in the set?

Third, you may not have the option of turning fangtail into a shock. However, it can turn into a nonevasive char, block, damage to stack, *ping*. And instead, losing the creature instead of 2 life.

Fourth, this is an AURA. It must be a bad creature for just putting an aura on it to ping 1 damage at end of turn. Who wants a bad creature in your deck?

It's a fine card in limited, but if was an option of running this and fangtail, id run fangtail as i can actually win with the card faster with a 3 powered swing then an aura that does nothing more than the fangtail itself.

The_Darkness_Incarnate
27th September 2006, 4:58 AM
First of all, it costs 2 mana more. Not three.

Second, it doesnt need to be "good" to be worthy of a reprint. It just needs to go along with the flavor of being in an old set. Why do you think squire is in the set?

Third, you may not have the option of turning fangtail into a shock. However, it can turn into a nonevasive char, block, damage to stack, *ping*. And instead, losing the creature instead of 2 life.

Fourth, this is an AURA. It must be a bad creature for just putting an aura on it to ping 1 damage at end of turn. Who wants a bad creature in your deck?

It's a fine card in limited, but if was an option of running this and fangtail, id run fangtail as i can actually win with the card faster with a 3 powered swing then an aura that does nothing more than the fangtail itself.

I'm not saying it has to be good to be a reprint either, but many of the cards were reprinted because they had a lot of versatality, so new people could see how the metagame looked like in old times. Squires there most probably for flavor reasons, but it lets you see the prerequisite to "Bear" cards. Fire Whip doesn't show you the prerequisites to much, as Prodigal shows you how pingers were born. So that means it has some versatality as a card, like things such as Thornscape Battlemage.

Eh, messed up the cost. Sorry. :X

In anything larger than a 1/1, blocking with a Whip enchanted creature achieves the same results, though card advantage may or may not be lost. In a 1/1, it's a makeshift Arc Lightning. Card advantage may be lost in both cases, but it still has more flexibilty than block, ping. I'm not saying it's perfect, but I'm saying Fangtail isn't hands-down better; in many situation in early game, Whip does its job faster and better than the Fangtail could hope. By turn for playing red, everything the Fangtail is useful for is nearly eliminated unless you're playing weenie. In late game though, I agree, I'd rather draw a Fangtail, as a fattie, than a Whip, but it depends on the situation a lot. But Fangtail is way to slow to do it's job as a pinger properly.

And an Aura like Whip doesn't neccesarily need to be enchanted on a crap creature; it gives a good creature a new job that can be potentially better. Such as, if I was playing goblins with a deck with Whip in it(pretend. I don't think it's ever going to happen), and I got a turn one Birds to their Lackey, and chanced upon a whip, the whip would allow me to turn the game heavily in my favor. Is Birds a crappy creature? Hell no. It does a job, and does it damn well. But in a race against a legion of 1/1s, would a rather have a pinger or a Birds? The answer is pretty obvious. I realize this is pretty situational, but it's the same against many weenie rush or sligh decks when using a combo or something similar; I want a pinger NOW more than a set up for a combo LATER, when I die before it can go off. If the pinger happens to be able to take down a Warchief in that game as well, so much the better. In that situation a Fangtail would come too late to stablilize well, such as before a rain of burn. The birds has potential to be burned as well, I see, but it takes down the lacky either way and hits an opponent for one as it goes; no card advantage lost. It's as good on a Hand of Honor as it is on a Fugitive Wizard; a card that has a chance of stablizing against a fast deck. Kind of a toolbox. AND I REALIZE OTHER CARDS CAN DO THIS BETTER. It's just an argument that it can be used and used well; not that it should be.

klducks
27th September 2006, 6:24 AM
I dont get how a legion of 1/1s, lets say around 4 (thats like, a beacon of creation) can pass a 3/3. They'll probs hit the field at the same time.

your opponent is on the offensive obviously

swing with 4 tokens
*declare blockers, response, ping*
take 2.

obviously, they dont swing again.

and unless you provide a reasonable situation with firewhip, ill ignore that situation. But sure, a lackey firewhip combo is pretty reasonable. However, thats for combo purposes.

For example, you would really only run careful study in a madness deck, or another deck that favors discard, when you have options like brainstorm.

Now, if i got that situation wrong, im sorry. (the situation of lackey with firewhip)

if it's lackey vs firewhip, i cant see how that works either.

Turn one Lackey, pass

Turn one Birds, pass

Turn two, swing with lackey.

Block with birds? oh there goes your creature to firewhip. Dont block? i guess the role firewhip was SUPPOSED to do didnt really fulfill his role.

Okay, now you might say the fangtail might not be helpful either. Atleast you dont have a dead card in your hand. Fangtail will effect the board much more then a 1 damage pinger. It may not be immediate, but it will.

Next, why would you give a good creature a new job? If it's a good creature, it's probably already occupied in doing it's role in the deck.

Yosei in Greater Gifts, it's probably used to sac before it'll ping anything.
Angel of Despair in Solarflare, it already killed a key card, and now probably swinging in for 5
Zoo and Heezy Street doesnt need pingers, bad tempo.
etc, this is just the decks off the top of my head.

and yes, firewhip may be versitile. However, the necessity of a creature just to be used... kinda makes the versitility halved in a way. Thats what makes auras.... well... bad.