PDA

View Full Version : What manga does your school/public library carry?

zonic the hedgehog
25th September 2006, 9:27 PM
I'm curious to see what people may have in their libraries, since I'm looking for different series around my area by going through different local libraries (including my school library).

My Highschool just started getting manga this year, so there's only two series- Kingdom Hearts and Fruits Basket. ~_~

I haven't read Furuba before though, so I checked-out the first three volumes for myself. At the moment, my school library has 7 volumes of Fruits Basket and 3 volumes of Kingdom Hearts.

Back in 8th grade, In Junior High, my other school had more manga than this, however. Just a few of the series I can name off the top of my head:

Magical Pokemon Journey (only place I've ever found the manga)
Pokemon Adventures
Dragonball 1-7
Dragonball Z 1-2
Slam Dunk (not sure of how many volumes)
Cardcaptor Sakura, Master of the Clow (almost every library I've been to has this manga)

That's all I can remember. I'm sure there may have been more, but I never really bothered to read them.

Edit: Oh, I suppose I should talk a bit about the public libraries that carry some manga as well.

Much to my surprise, in the Main and Gulf Beach branch, I've found several volumes of Love Hina. XD
I still find is odd how it's in the "Young Adult" section, since it's abit more mature, but whatever.

The Main library in my area carries quite a few series, actually. Some stuff I didn't even expect, like Initial D, Petshop of Horrors, Lupin the III, and of course, Love Hina. XP

BattleFranky~40
26th September 2006, 12:58 AM
No, they don't, and I don't see why they would.

That Scary Clefairy
26th September 2006, 2:29 AM
Elfen Lied (not sure of how many volumes)

How could they carried Elfin Lied manga when it's not even liscensed and out in US? I doubt your library would carry the japanese ones.

zonic the hedgehog
26th September 2006, 2:45 AM
How could they carried Elfin Lied manga when it's not even liscensed and out in US? I doubt your library would carry the japanese ones.

Yeah, I noticed that a few hours ago. I had it mistaken for another series.

I'll be editing the post now...

No, they don't, and I don't see why they would.DAAAAYUUUUM YOU BE LIVIN' IN DA GETTO, BEEYOTCH!

Funny ebonics aside, I'm sure there would be quite a few libraries carrying manga now. Checking out manga in the library is a hell of a lot better than paying $10 every for every one volume. :X

Crystal Clair
26th September 2006, 3:55 AM
Last time I checked, the only manga left (most of them were stolen) was Hellsing.
They may have more this year though. Haven't had the time to go down there yet.

Aquarelle
26th September 2006, 6:37 AM
Well I went into my school library for the first time ever last week, and it doesn't really have a large variety of mangas...

It has some Naruto, Crescent Moon, a few volumes of One Piece, and like two InuYasha volumes.

I didn't really take a close look at the shelf though, so it probably has more.

~Aquarelle

Aewyne
27th September 2006, 10:17 PM
My high school library only has a few copies of Inuyasha.

However, there's a rumor that on the 3rd floor of my school, there's someone's locker with with manga that anyone can take, provided that they donate some manga of their own. I haven't seen it myself, but a classmate of mine last year told me that she uses it all the time.

Kimori
28th September 2006, 12:03 AM
I saw a Magical Pokemon Journey (Vol. 3) and some random Digimon manga at my library once. Other than that, I don't they carry any others. XD I live in a really small town, so we don't have many selections. D:

hollynoel
28th September 2006, 12:55 AM
My school Library has a bit of manga volume 1 of Bleach, two random Rave Master Volumes, GTO, Inuyasha (6-8), Ranma 1/2, (1-3). I'm sure of these. There may be more.

Konosuke
28th September 2006, 3:07 AM
my school have manga? My librarian is head of the christian club at my school, not a chance in hell will there be manga! XD

Kira Yamato
29th September 2006, 1:06 AM
My school library has an excess of Inuyasha, Naruto, Fruits Basket, Initial D, Prince of Tennis, and this one title I can't remember. They also have the first two volumes of Full Metal Alchemist and Full Metal Panic! (nice coincidence XD), a few volumes of Negima and xxxHOLiC, and a bunch of obscure manga. The only volume of Love Hina I spotted went missing quite some time ago.

As for the public library, I haven't visited it in nearly three years, so I wouldn't know if it does carry manga.

Mimori Kiryu
3rd October 2006, 8:53 PM
My school doesn't have any. >>; They don't like anime/japanese anything here. oO; Though at my public library, they have Inuyasha, Naruto, Gundam SEED and Hellsing. :>

SamsGFX
3rd October 2006, 9:52 PM
King Of Hell - Volume 1
Demon Diaries - Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 [I think]
We have more, but strangely they buy volume 2, but not the first :s, so I don't bother reading it unless they have a V. 1

Hakuryuu
3rd October 2006, 11:05 PM
Absolutely none. =[

Miss Kanna
4th October 2006, 10:44 PM
At the public library,any manga licensed in the U.S =] [except for a few]

My school library only has Orphen and Tokyo Mew Mew ;o

Frankie-chan
5th October 2006, 5:06 AM
Public Library:
Eh, the public library has quite a large manga section, so I can't really remember all the names of each manga, but whatever.

School Library:
MegaTokyo 1-3
Naruto 1-9
Yu-gi-oh 1-2

Kyoto-chan
5th October 2006, 6:32 AM
My school library has zilch when it comes to manga. But when it comes time for book fairs, they'll sell a few volumes of various series. (That's how I got my copy of the first volume of Yotsuba&!. :D)

My public library, though? ...too many to count. XD They basically have every US licensed manga in that system...THEN there's the Chinese manga section. @_@; So yeah, there's a LOT of manga. XD

>_>
5th October 2006, 7:26 AM
My school library has none. The librarian doesn't even know what they are.

The public library have started to get some in, thankfully :

Yotsuba&! (1-3)
Yu-Gi-Oh (1-7)
Genshiken (1-2)
Dragon Ball (1-7, 9-11)

mugen33
6th October 2006, 12:18 AM
Whoa i guess im lucky. My public library has

akira, hellsing, scryed, chobits, plantetes, kenshin, DB + DBZ, Vagabond, Blade of the immortal, FMA, Chrono Crusade, Ranma 1/2, Inuyasha, Cromartie, Bleach, Baruto, Death Note, Monster, Naruto, One Piece, GITS, Lone wolf and cub, black jack, yu yu hakusho, GTO, Rave master, boys be, and a ton of others. pretty good.

~Meitantei Starlight*~
6th October 2006, 12:42 AM
The middle school library carries volumes of Alice 19th.

In the high school library I saw volume two of Cowboy Bebop and a volume or two of Ah! My Goddess (I THINK it was that series).

The public library carries volumes of Inuyasha, Tokyo Mew Mew, One Piece, Yu Yu Hakusho, Ranma 1/2, Initial D, Ah! My Goddess, and others I cant remember. Most of the series they have are out of order though. -___- I wish they'd get Pokemon...I have to request for that one. =/

Umi Mizuno
6th October 2006, 5:53 AM
I go to different libraries. The closest library near my house has only Dragonball Z volumes 9-14 and Mars [I forgot how many volumes they had in the library].

At the Chinatown library I go to more often then I do then the one near my house, they have:

Evangelion: 1-9
Kare Kano: 3-7. 14-20
Love Hina: 1-5
Inuyasha: [Random issues, about 10 volumes of them]
xxxHolic: 1 and 2
Cowboy Bebop: 1 and 3
Wish: 1-4

There's more but I forgot them.

shinigami13
10th October 2006, 12:21 AM
My school only has Inuyasha (wich I like)

Staryu
10th October 2006, 10:39 PM
School: Never looked
Public: Crap. If they have a series, its only book 1.

TheTriss
12th October 2006, 4:42 PM
Of course, mine only carries...Naruto...*hisses*

Vycksta
13th October 2006, 8:37 PM
Where I live there are no manga in public places or schools whatsoever. If I want to buy manga I have to take a 150 mile trip... 75 miles each way... to get my manga.

littlestchristian13
14th October 2006, 1:18 AM
Our school doesn't carry manga. at ALL. and I never go to the library...so how should I know?

Sailor Merury
14th October 2006, 5:31 AM
My library has almost everything. I'm lucky.

Hao Kaiser
14th October 2006, 6:23 AM
Eh, I think I saw something in my School's library, but it was some random Tokyopop crap (Not to insult anyone by that or anything).

But I visit two librarys... one in my town, and then one in a larger, neighboring town.

Home: Random Dragon Ball, a Pokemon Adventures book... some Inuyasha, Evangelon... Cowboy Bebop, Card Captor Sakura.. and I've not been there in a while, so I'm not to sure about their selection now.

Away: Random Dragon Ball, Astro Boy, Pokemon Adventures No. 2, Sailor Moon... and thats all I've seen.

Tomoyo Daidouji
15th October 2006, 9:41 AM
Public Library?

Oh, then it's Magical Pokemon Journey, Volume One.

School Library?

Unless you count Asterix, Tin Tin and Garfield as mangas, none.

Angelic Elf Ivy
15th October 2006, 3:35 PM
Erm... not entirely positive.
I know they have Inuyasha, FMA, Tokyo Mew Mew, and Fruits Basket.
Probably others too.

Spookz
15th October 2006, 5:27 PM
Last time I checked (which was a long time ago, mind you) all my school library had was a few random volumes of InuYasha, I think a Fruits Basket or two, but our manga collection is very limited.

I haven't been to a public library in forever. >_> Whenever I am there, I never think to look and see if there are any manga worth reading.