PDA

View Full Version : Developed by Genius Sonority!

~*Pearl*~
28th September 2006, 2:30 PM
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/9121/gsyo2.png

Now, we can almost be sure it's an RPG!

Tony_Weavile
28th September 2006, 2:36 PM
this really stinks. v_v
shadow pokemon got boring after the first game.
If it is another shadow pokemon game, i'll be sure to NOT pick it up at the store.
:)

Nidoking Nate
28th September 2006, 7:03 PM
Ah damn it. Genius Sorority cannot make a good game, let alone a good Pokemon game. Nintendo should develop this in house, or let the guys from Stadium do it.

fenix287
28th September 2006, 7:05 PM
or let the guys from Stadium do it.
I totally agree the coloseum (sp?) games IMO sucked..... i thought the stadium games were 100 times better.

Mli
28th September 2006, 7:48 PM
um...well i'll like it if its a RPG, although i dont know how you could be "almost sure" about it :/

yeah sure call me an idiot... :p

Silent orange L.V.12
28th September 2006, 11:34 PM
damnit,i hate genius sonority...they arent exactly genusis. I hope they make the game good,I hate the shadow pokemon plots.

Wandering Rhythmical Phoenix
29th September 2006, 12:00 AM
oh would you all shut upabout the shadow plot being boring?
I pointed this out yesterday or so in the orginal thread abot the new info, and I totaly called this! I can only hope thisll have the same spark as GoDwith the darkness of Colo.

Also, if you look , it looks like Pochama is fighting on an arena in Pheanic

ShinyManafi
29th September 2006, 12:10 AM
I actually like the RPGs
IMO, I thought Stadium was boring cause the rental Pokemon I thought had crappy movesets

Shin Ura Yuuki
29th September 2006, 12:24 AM
Sigh. I can hear my heart breaking.

At least they improved the graphics. I'll give them one last chance. Please follow in the footsteps of HAL correctly, GS. =(

Silverevilchao
29th September 2006, 4:35 AM
Stadium > Colosseum

Two words: Rental Poke'mon.

Hey, GS, PUT FREAKING RENTAL POKE'MON IN THERE OR ELSE I'M NOT BUYING THIS GAME.

Raine
29th September 2006, 5:00 AM
I hated useing rental Pokemon.
At least if it's an rpg you might be able to transfer Pokemon from this game, into your Ds.

Spriteman
29th September 2006, 6:00 AM
YES! I love the RPGs! Lets hope there are more wild pokemon in this, and I think the starters will be the grass/ice eeveelutions :D And the stadium games got boring, I like to train pokemon, not just pick pokemon with preselected everything and battle with those.

Seiryu
29th September 2006, 7:35 AM
Well, this is certainly a bit of good news!

In my opinion, Colosseum and Gale of Darkness were a little bit better than the Stadium games. Oh sure, the mini-games were lots of fun, but unlike some other people, I didn't exactly have any friends within walking distance who would've been willing to play Stadium or Stadium 2 with me. I tend to gain most of my fun from a game's single-player experience, and since I didn't have one of those game adapters to use my personal teams in the game itself--which meant being limited almost exclusively to the horrible rentals--I found that aspect of the Stadium games sorely lacking.

Besides, I'll take something with a plot over something without one any day, and I happened to like the Shadow Pokemon-related storylines of Colo and GoD. Oh, and shame on you who call the Shadow Pokemon plots boring; I suppose you think that the "get starter pokemon, beat gyms, oust evil teams, and become league champion all before lunchtime" plots of the game boy games are sooooo much better, even though they're the basis of nearly every Pokemon Game Boy game?

Diaruga_Ex
29th September 2006, 8:37 AM
I thought Colloseum was ok. Not really as fun as the actual pokemon games. Anyways the reason i'm going to get this will mainly be to just battle my friends with my favorite pokemon in 3-D. That was my reason for getting colloseum too. The story mode was just an added feature.

BluekiKatana
29th September 2006, 8:46 AM
*Sigh*, well they better at least try to live up to the name revolution. I liked Colosseum and XD, but I agree that the shadow Pokemon are getting old.

pajama
29th September 2006, 12:03 PM
The shadow pokemon are getting old no doubt about that but we don't know what the wii can do so maybe we will have a complete pokemon rpg with wild pokemon and stuff like that. Or they are going to turn it into a stadium like game.

Alecat
29th September 2006, 12:59 PM
I'd like an RPG, but please, not the Shadows... I never felt it was really right. In fact, I'm not entirely sure that they really could translate across Pokemon into a 3D environment that would feel right...

The return of minigames and rental pokemon would be greatly appreciated. I spent many nights enjoying the minigames, and rental pokemon is good for battles with friends.

fosterfossil
29th September 2006, 2:54 PM
ok collo and xd fixed the problem with every game having the same plot so don't knock it at least Genius Sonority had the balls to make an original pokemon game

Pokemaníaco Desesperado
29th September 2006, 3:35 PM
And people loathe originality.
Meh, now they have three games under their belt, they MUST be better (and in fact, they improved a lot from the first to the second). You can't be the best developer with your first game.
Rental pokémon are overrrated, they aren't even good. They were good just for multiplayer, and GS can easily put a random pokémon multiplayer mode in the battle mode.

Bliksem
29th September 2006, 7:41 PM

In my opinion, Colosseum and Gale of Darkness were a little bit better than the Stadium games. Oh sure, the mini-games were lots of fun, but unlike some other people, I didn't exactly have any friends within walking distance who would've been willing to play Stadium or Stadium 2 with me. I tend to gain most of my fun from a game's single-player experience, and since I didn't have one of those game adapters to use my personal teams in the game itself--which meant being limited almost exclusively to the horrible rentals--I found that aspect of the Stadium games sorely lacking.

Besides, I'll take something with a plot over something without one any day, and I happened to like the Shadow Pokemon-related storylines of Colo and GoD. Oh, and shame on you who call the Shadow Pokemon plots boring; I suppose you think that the "get starter pokemon, beat gyms, oust evil teams, and become league champion all before lunchtime" plots of the game boy games are sooooo much better, even though they're the basis of nearly every Pokemon Game Boy game?
Here's the thing. The handheld Pokemon games, not the spin-offs, aren't really played for the plot. They're played for the Pokemon, something that Colosseum sorely lacked. Stadium was also there for its graphics, and they looked BEAUTIFUL for the time-period. Still do, too. But Colosseum's graphics were... boring. Most of the attacks looked the same or uninspired with the exception of a few. I put Hyper Beam on almost all of my Pokemon, not because it was a good move, but because it LOOKED good. That and I have a beam fetish... *coughs* Anyways, Gale of Darkness made up for that with beautiful graphics in the attacks. And that's all I play Pokemon for. The Pokemon and the attacks. Stadium gave me that. Colosseum didn't.

Mirage.Mew
29th September 2006, 11:40 PM
I don't know why people don't like Collosseum/XD. =/ I thought they were amazing. It was a great storyline with a beautiful landscape for Orre. However, I hope it takes place in a new region with a new storyline. =D

Dragonfree
30th September 2006, 12:56 AM
Personally, I never got what was so awesomely wonderful about rental Pokémon and minigames. :/

But I need to point out a couple of things.

1. NOBODY SAYS GENIUS SONORITY = SHADOW POKÉMON. Do you see any Shadow Pokémon in Trozei? Thought not. Hmm, I wonder why XD had Shadow Pokémon like Colosseum... Maybe because, like... it's a sequel? -_- There is nothing that says Pokémon Battle Revolution will involve Shadow Pokémon, period. Nobody says it's set in Orre either, although I personally actually hope so because Orre rocked. Nobody says it won't have wild Pokémon, nobody says it won't have rental Pokémon, nobody says it will be anything at all like Colosseum and XD.
2. Seriously, do you not like what you're seeing? The graphics look damn smooth. It has full contact. The battles seem to be a great deal more fast-paced. So far, it looks like they've got everything right that we've observed at all. I don't see what you're complaining about, because it's already quite obvious that this is not just a clone of Colosseum and XD on the Wii.

Malachite Treecko
1st October 2006, 10:37 AM
I hope there will be Gym Leaders and the Elite Four, I've always wanted that for a non-handheld-console-game. But I suppose it will be the same old Shadow Pokémon and Team Snaggem and Cipher and Orre... :(

Pokemaníaco Desesperado
1st October 2006, 11:34 AM
Why do you say 'old Shadow pokémon' when Gym Leaders and E4 are twice as old?

Managar
1st October 2006, 1:53 PM
OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NO MORE GENIUS SONORITY GAMES! I will steer clear of this game and buy something better, like Prime 3.

Razor
1st October 2006, 2:02 PM
just because genius sonority made it doesn't exactly mean it will be a Shadow pokemon RPG, genius could try and make a stadium type game, or perhaps even a fully fledged Pokemon RPG like ruby and all, but that is unlikely

Prince_PJ
1st October 2006, 3:15 PM
Oh wow, you guys call yourselves fans?

"Genius Sonority, ****, I'm not buying this. It's a good thing I don't have any friends to battle so that it's not important :("

When I first got Colloseum I thought it was excellent. After awhile, it got boring. So in my mind

Stadium > Colloseum

But XD is so many steps above Colloseum, where the only decline is the depressing amount of Battle Mode options.

XD > Stadium

All I really want in BR is a better Battle Mode, but I'm not sure if I'd want them to sacrifice a good RPG for it.

Oh, and remake all the 3D Pokemon, amen (They still need to get Charizard/Moltres right)

Xanatos
1st October 2006, 3:32 PM
Yeah, I can tell that they Re-cycled, the 150 pokemon's graphics, from stadium, so Machamp for example would look like he would on Stadium on the N64.

Infinite Master Sceptile
2nd October 2006, 12:29 AM
No matter what form it takes, I'll buy it. It's number two on my list of reasons to get a Wii.
Plus, I really want to see Elecable rendered in that style. <3

"L"
2nd October 2006, 12:49 AM
I hope that its mostly a stadium-like game. I loved all the tournaments and Gymleader Castle. I dont mind if its an RPG, I just hope it has a good stadium aspect to it

Bitsy
2nd October 2006, 1:12 AM
If this one takes place in orre, im sure there will be a lot more wild pokemon. there were no wilds in colloseum (according to XD) because the lanscape was bad, but there are pokemon returning to orre in XD (hence the small amount of wilds) if PBR takes place in orre, chances are it takes place sometime after XD, which means there should be LOADS of wild pokemon, if not quite a bit more than XD

Lkr
2nd October 2006, 2:38 AM
This is bad news. Colloseum and XD=Suckage

Bull
2nd October 2006, 4:12 AM
Wait. We have to give Genius Sonority the benefit of the doubt. I enjoyed the Colloseum but got bored after a while because the game plot didn't suit me, but it doesn't mean that the game is bad. I enjoyed a lot the aspects of Stadium of the gym battles but especially the cups.

However Colloseum had something of that. At the same time I can see how GS can combine both things. Instead of having the Mountain with 100 trainers they could have it with the gym leaders of the 1, 2, 3 and 4 generations and trainers in between them to add up to 100 and I think it would be cool. The rpg is very good, I just hope they do not recycle the same idea again. I think they could do a very good rpg without using the same idea over.

The thing I would enjoy is that in the mode outside the rpg mode they insert more cups to the stadium that resemble like the little cups that were before not just only Lv. 50 and Lv. 100 and that they have the Game Boy option, because it was a lot of fun playing at a high speed and to play your game in the tv, and not have to get Pokemon Box.

I just hope that the best is the graphics, they have to redefine some of them because they have been using them since Stadium. Also bring back the narrator and have an option of silencing him, and that when a pokemon is released from its pokeball it moves and does something and not only appears standing there like in Colloseum.

Linkdarkside
2nd October 2006, 4:35 AM
well it would be awesome if it was a mix betwin Collosium and stadium

Bliksem
2nd October 2006, 5:54 AM
Personally, I never got what was so awesomely wonderful about rental Pokémon and minigames. :/
Do you have friends? Do you have friends that like Pokemon a lot? Do you have friends that want to play on your games? Do you realize that Rental Pokemon and Minigames allow your friends to play even when they don't own a gameboy? Stadium was multiplayer, and VERY easy to use. Even if you only had one transfer Pack, you could put all your Pokemon onto the game. And if your Pokemon weren't strong enough, you could use Rental Pokemon. This allowed for two to four people to play the game at the same time, even if they had nothing.

Do that with Colosseum or XD. You can't. You MUST have a Gameboy Advance/SP. You MUST have a copy of RSEFRLG. And you MUST have the proper name of advance cables. It is about as conductive to multiplayer as Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. If you don't have the equipment, you can't play, and that's that. Stadium wasn't like this and THAT'S why we think it's wonderful.

Hellsbell
2nd October 2006, 6:10 AM
as long as PBR has an oak's lab sort of feature, ill definately get it

zonic the hedgehog
2nd October 2006, 6:31 AM
I'm not sure of whether to be sad by this or emo.

I think I'll be the foremost, because I don't want to cut myself over a videogame. o_<

God, I hope this game doesn't suck like the former...

[aka]
2nd October 2006, 7:09 AM
i think that even though genius(or not) seniority is developing it, it could still be like stadium.

swellowsoul1
2nd October 2006, 8:03 AM
i haven't played colo but own xd, and i love it. I lile the plot and the pokemon available. I hope in BR they make more pokemon obtainable, instead of only 9 wild pokemon like xd.

Swellow will speed his way to victory...

danburite
2nd October 2006, 9:24 AM
You know what's even more boring than Shadow Pokemon? The "beat-the-8-gyms-and-elite-4-while-bringing-down-the-local-evil-team" quest.

Sure, Shadow Pokemon have been in a whopping two games, but the Elite 4 quest has been done FOURTEEN times: Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire, Fire Red, Leaf Green, Emerald, Diamond AND Pearl.
If Genius Sonority decides to go with the Shadow Pokemon quest again, i'll welcome it with open arms.

Bliksem
2nd October 2006, 10:01 AM
You know what's even more boring than Shadow Pokemon? The "beat-the-8-gyms-and-elite-4-while-bringing-down-the-local-evil-team" quest.

Sure, Shadow Pokemon have been in a whopping two games, but the Elite 4 quest has been done FOURTEEN times: Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire, Fire Red, Leaf Green, Emerald, Diamond AND Pearl.
If Genius Sonority decides to go with the Shadow Pokemon quest again, i'll welcome it with open arms.
My God, when will people understand that opponents of Shadow Pokemon don't care about the plot it was centered around. It was the fact that the Pokemon were LIMITED, which is something unlike the handheld games. With Shadow Pokemon, we are limited STRICTLY to the natures and movesets of those Pokemon; if I wanted my Starmie to know Surf or Hydro Pump in XD, I couldn't teach them either move. Because Starmie doesn't learn Hydro Pump and Surf doesn't exist as an HM. The ONLY water move Walrein learns is Water Gun, so unless you use your Water Pulse TM (TM 03), you have nothing useful. The movesets are basically static, and the new moves that Shadow Pokemon had (GoD only) where oft times not good enough. Why do I care if my Electrode has Refresh? People don't use status against it. Charm, Heal Bell, Refresh, were basically all the moves Shadow Pokemon offered, and it wasn't enough. Heal Bell didn't make Mightyena useful.

Cooltrainer Nick
2nd October 2006, 11:41 PM
First,I like GS's RPG's...it's just that...the storyline..just ultimatly sucks.When it comes down to it we all just don't like Shadow Pokemon period.I think they should sit down and rething this Shadow thing and come up with a whole new storyline.But,if they don't do that they need to figure some complex Shadow Pokemon storyline.REally,in my opinion the storyline for the shadow pokemon was too linear and simple,I just think we need more freedom and a more complex story,if they do Shadow PKMN again.

ArrEmmDee
3rd October 2006, 12:18 AM
My God, when will people understand that opponents of Shadow Pokemon don't care about the plot it was centered around. It was the fact that the Pokemon were LIMITED, which is something unlike the handheld games.Yeah, which for many people meant they had to start using Pokemon they weren't used to and probably would not have used otherwise-- oh god. Pokémon usually appearing late in the RPGs arrived fairly early in Colosseum, and so you got to use them a bit earlier too if you liked.

By limited availability, you had to make the best of your resources, and ultimately people ended up using and finding out how ridiculous they were for not using Pokémon they didn't normally use-- or found out just how right they were. Pokédex fillers became prized party members.

Or we could just keep getting shoved useless pidgeons and rodents early in-game and keep going with that dull repetitive formula.

(PS Pokémon XD was a terrible mess because in many cases it ended up doing the exact opposite of what I just described-- it also had terrible plot development, but ok.)

Dragonfree
3rd October 2006, 2:14 AM
Do you have friends?
Yes.

Do you have friends that like Pokemon a lot?
Hell no.

Do you have friends that want to play on your games?
Nope.

Do you realize that Rental Pokemon and Minigames allow your friends to play even when they don't own a gameboy? Stadium was multiplayer, and VERY easy to use. Even if you only had one transfer Pack, you could put all your Pokemon onto the game. And if your Pokemon weren't strong enough, you could use Rental Pokemon. This allowed for two to four people to play the game at the same time, even if they had nothing.
See, I'd rather have a game that's a little bit of fun while I'm alone playing it, too. And really, frankly, I hardly see any fun in battling with rental Pokémon. To me, the fun of Pokémon is raising, as I've said somewhere before. To me the whole point is my Pokémon that I raised which have my movesets. Sure, having them is nice, but I don't see any reason to break down and hate the game just for not having them. Colosseum and XD had a different emphasis than Stadium and Stadium 2; deal with it. We don't know how the emphasis on Pokémon Battle Revolution will be, unlike some people here who seem to think that Genius Sonority = a game that's exactly like Colosseum and XD.

Jiggy37
3rd October 2006, 5:46 AM
I couldn't be happier to think that Genius Sonority is having a hand in this. Unlike the Stadium games, Colosseum and XD handed out Pokemon with egg moves, TM moves, and moves they'd never had before like candy, plus completely exclusive stuff.

That and the Battle CDs were one of the coolest ideas the series had, basically a refinement of the Academy from Stadium 2. I'd love to see that return with even more wacky new battle situations.

danburite
3rd October 2006, 6:37 AM
...by limited availability, you had to make the best of your resources, and ultimately people ended up using and finding out how ridiculous they were for not using Pokémon they didn't normally use-- or found out just how right they were. Pokédex fillers became prized party members...

Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

MugenKeiji
3rd October 2006, 7:55 AM
If you make games like Dragon Quest/Warrior and Earthbound/Mother, you have to be doing SOMETHING right.

I can't believe you guys are judging how the game experience will be based on the last two GameCube games when you can see these vast improvements.

-Genius Sonority makes BETTER graphical and programming usage of the Wii's hardware, as we see impressive looking Pokemon and some background physics worked into the game
-Even the developer knows when to "reinvent the wheel" when something doesn't work, Yuke's needed to look at Aki's games when taking over WWE games, Konami knows their old buddies at Treasure should help them out with Gradius V, Brownie Brown took a step away from the previous Mother games to make Mother 3 a more fast paced and more fun RPG in terms of the battle system and yes, Genius Sonority as part of Nintendo knows that part of making a game better is to either make it faster paced or to make it more fun. As developers, they know there's code they need to rewrite rather than reuse.

What I'm getting at is the battle system. It is NOT a 3D take on the portables. There's no battle windows for anything but commands. What we do see is an "On the Fly" HP and battle description interface. If that's an indication of things to come, I'd say Battle Revolution is a step in a better direction than before. Not necessarily the RIGHT direction per se, as there's no tangible copy to review properly.

PBR does certainly have the potential to be the Pokemon Stadium follow-up we've been waiting for ever since the GameCube launched. Already we see potential in the graphics and battle system. On a Dual-Layered Wii disc, we can have all Pokemon, moves, Stadium modes and a full fledged RPG to boot. More than enough disc space to go around I may add.

Yeah, Colosseum and XD were slight disappointments, and yes even I wanted HAL to come back on developing the Pokemon Battle games. Still, Battle Revolution took me by surprise.

The first was the graphics. Both GameCube games while better than on N64, still had misrepresented graphics for the system. While hearing news of how Wii's GPU isn't all that grand compared to the likes of its competition I was disheartened, especially after E3....then I saw Pokemon. I knew it wasn't pre-rendered footage because Iwata described it as a "Soft Movie" or "Software Demo" when eliminate the "Engrish", and for Pokemon...no, Genius Sonority to pull off those graphics that made me say "Wow" for the Wii, that's a feat in on itself.

Second, the battle system seemed more 'active' and fast paced. All those who remember playing the GCN titles know you could practically fall asleep whilst playing. What with the recycled Stadium animations and uninspired moves. Well I suppose one should learn to cut their teeth, no matter how crude. Leave it to Nintendo to strengthen the links in their development chain, as Genius Sonority's programmers know that game development is a process where you constantly learn on the job.

Point I'm trying to make is this. The developers have burned us before, but remember: 3rd times the charm.

FlygonXS
3rd October 2006, 8:29 AM
I've posted these pics long ago, they're old >_>
There is a Naetoru Picture too

Dragonfree
3rd October 2006, 9:36 AM
Uh, FlygonXS, the point is not the pics. The point is the red-circled "Developed by Genius Sonority inc.", which some people apparently think means the game is doomed to being awful.

What I'm getting at is the battle system. It is NOT a 3D take on the portables. There's no battle windows for anything but commands. What we do see is an "On the Fly" HP and battle description interface. If that's an indication of things to come, I'd say Battle Revolution is a step in a better direction than before. Not necessarily the RIGHT direction per se, as there's no tangible copy to review properly.

PBR does certainly have the potential to be the Pokemon Stadium follow-up we've been waiting for ever since the GameCube launched. Already we see potential in the graphics and battle system. On a Dual-Layered Wii disc, we can have all Pokemon, moves, Stadium modes and a full fledged RPG to boot. More than enough disc space to go around I may add.

Yeah, Colosseum and XD were slight disappointments, and yes even I wanted HAL to come back on developing the Pokemon Battle games. Still, Battle Revolution took me by surprise.

The first was the graphics. Both GameCube games while better than on N64, still had misrepresented graphics for the system. While hearing news of how Wii's GPU isn't all that grand compared to the likes of its competition I was disheartened, especially after E3....then I saw Pokemon. I knew it wasn't pre-rendered footage because Iwata described it as a "Soft Movie" or "Software Demo" when eliminate the "Engrish", and for Pokemon...no, Genius Sonority to pull off those graphics that made me say "Wow" for the Wii, that's a feat in on itself.

Second, the battle system seemed more 'active' and fast paced. All those who remember playing the GCN titles know you could practically fall asleep whilst playing. What with the recycled Stadium animations and uninspired moves. Well I suppose one should learn to cut their teeth, no matter how crude. Leave it to Nintendo to strengthen the links in their development chain, as Genius Sonority's programmers know that game development is a process where you constantly learn on the job.

Point I'm trying to make is this. The developers have burned us before, but remember: 3rd times the charm.
Exactly my point. Pokémon Battle Revolution has vastly improved everything we've seen any of so far. I don't get why we have any reason to think this somehow means all the rest of the game will be some sort of Colosseum/XD duplicate. As far as we can see, they're getting things just right here. Give them a chance, will you?

yutss
4th October 2006, 5:23 AM
We're all going to Die!...We're all going to Die!

Calm down. They may change The whole Shadow Poke plan.

tehbesto
4th October 2006, 7:31 AM
I don't care, I just love battling in 3D. The graphics for PBR look damn good from what I've seen, and it's enough to convince a rapid pokemon fan like me to pre-order when it's about to come out. I'll be even more grateful if Nintendo decides to have another pre-order bonus, like Jirachi for Colosseum.

Turtloopa
5th October 2006, 4:01 PM
Wtf. A crap random RPG with those Emo Pokémon again?

Nobody. NOBODY wants some RPG Emo crap into their home console Pokémon games. This MUST be like Stadium. It's about battling with trained/rented pokémon, not about running around with a retarded-looking character stealing Emo pokémon and spending forever to Anti-Emo it.

Yamato-san
5th October 2006, 4:45 PM
I'm in agreeance with Mugen Keiji and Dragonfree. After seeing the demos at this point, what the f***'s it even matter to hear who developed it now? Besides, Genius Sonority greatly improved between Colloseum and XD, so it's no surprise to see them accomplish what they're doing with Battle Revolution. And like Dragonfree, I too am mainly a solo gamer, so I wanna get some enjoyment out of a single-player game, which an RPG mode accomplishes quite nicely. Given, the Wi-fi could help out gamers who don't have anyone else to play with, but I'd still prefer having an RPG. Also, I just have to say that rental Pokemon are way too friggin' over-rated.

Nidoking Nate
5th October 2006, 8:12 PM
The thing about Colosseum was that it didn't feel like the other Pokemon RPG's. Meaning that when you began, you had two level 30's you didnt catch/recieve and raise yourself, and the character you played was already established.

What's so unique about the Handheld games is the fact that the adventure is yours. It is a very personal thing, and the way the games pan out (ie from the very beginning to the very end) makes it YOUR story. Colosseum did not have this. You began in the middle of someone elses story.

All the Pokemon you got were someone elses which you stole, not ones you carefully raised yourself. Genius Sonority removed the one thing that makes Pokemon special..... the fact that the tale is yours from the start, and your adventure is unique to you. That's what keeps the Poke games fresh. This is why Colosseum was poor (other than the undeniable fact the game mechanics were very sloppy).

Yamato-san
6th October 2006, 8:52 AM
actually, the portable games had very little to the storyline if anything. All you do is collect badges, enter a league, tangle with a rival a few times, and uncovering an evil organization's plot (which is really more of a side task that's greatly overshadowed by entering the league)... the game basically does the simple task of setting the player up to be the best trainer there is, and little focus on any kind of complex save-the-world plot or character depth or whatever. The games certainly accomplish what they needed to do: allowing players to tame and raise wild creatures, and to do that, they made the scenario set-up very simple so that pretty much anybody could get into it (which especially goes with Nintendo's recent goals of trying to expand their market). But as a result, people often deem the storylines themselves to be very poor, especially for an RPG (which tends to be the most story-driven genre out there). You can say it's "your" story, but the fact of the matter is, there barely even is a story, and you're just left using your imagination most of the time to forge your own characters and plot (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but most people prefer to read other people's scenarios rather than to bother making up their own). Gamefreak should just be thankful people don't play these games for the cinema.

In my opinion, Colloseum and XD had very nice set-ups: more serious plots involving Dark Pokemon and Snatch Dan/Shadow, without a vs. tournament plot overshadowing it, and with an established main character instead of just putting the player into the unnamed avatar's shoes. They just fell a little flat in length and execution, however. If nothing else, they automatically get points just for breaking away from the typical tournament plot.

TyraniRay
6th October 2006, 10:04 AM
Genius Sonority seems to be making huge steps in development in each game. I only play XD for the first time in a tourney a while ago, and every single attack was much improved, and a lot of models clearly looked like they'd been redone. And now there's the new game, which so far looks like they're practically perfected the battl engine. Of course in the trailer they'd cut tiny bits out, but it looked fast paced anyway.

GS's real problem is that it's storyline/single player, although kinda have a good idea, are very lackluster. I'd like to see them implement HMs in, and have a longer game. By the loks of things, DP has the highest levels (Lv66 top) for the first run through of the E4 so far, but in DP you start at level 5. In Colloseum you start at level 26/7, and only go up to the low 60's with Evice. The thing is, without going out of your way to train extra your Pokemon will reach only 45. With a bit of Mt. Battle and extra colloseums I reached 50. I did beat him, but they needed more to the storyline to make up that difference. I'll take a guess they may have taken out some random trainers to reduce the time you're battling, as that takes bloody ages in colo, but a 15 level difference, when you're battling someone with a bloody Salamence and a Skill Swap combo for a Slaking, it gets mighty annoying. It's not that I'm underleveling, I battled every trainer, all colloseums at least once and up to about 60 in Mt. Battle. All they need is faster paced battles that's in a single player that's much longer.

That being said the graphics and physics for PBR look awesome, now only if they take the best parts of collo, improve them greatly, and add everything from Stadium 2 that it doesn't have. That game would be a masterpiece.

Bliksem
6th October 2006, 10:26 AM
Yeah, which for many people meant they had to start using Pokemon they weren't used to and probably would not have used otherwise-- oh god. Pokémon usually appearing late in the RPGs arrived fairly early in Colosseum, and so you got to use them a bit earlier too if you liked.

By limited availability, you had to make the best of your resources, and ultimately people ended up using and finding out how ridiculous they were for not using Pokémon they didn't normally use-- or found out just how right they were. Pokédex fillers became prized party members.

Or we could just keep getting shoved useless pidgeons and rodents early in-game and keep going with that dull repetitive formula.

(PS Pokémon XD was a terrible mess because in many cases it ended up doing the exact opposite of what I just described-- it also had terrible plot development, but ok.)
You still aren't comprehending what I'm talking about. Well, I suppose it's understandable. You probably take your Pokemon at face value. I don't. I will sit in front of a Legend and restart until I get the right nature. I will hunt in the grass for as long as need be to get the Pokemon I want. Why would I use Pokemon I KNOW to be pathetic? Why would I use Murkrow? Why would I use Meganium? Would would I use the plethora of competitively-inept Pokemon that Colosseum gave us? With the exception of a select few, the Pokemon given to us by Colosseum would have terrible rankings in the competitive tiers. Mostly UU Pokemon like Mantine. And even the good Pokemon have a chance to be horrible. The Metagross I captured was Gentle nature. Horrible! The Legendary Pokemon were just handed to us, and the reason for that is because so many other Pokemon were useless. If I don't use a Pokemon, it's because I know it's crap.

And for the record, GoD was a much better game than Colosseum, on all points. It's plot was more enjoyable, its graphics were improved exponentially, and most importantly, the selection of Pokemon was greatly improved. However, it still limited what Pokemon you were able to capture.

Yes.

Hell no.

Nope.

See, I'd rather have a game that's a little bit of fun while I'm alone playing it, too. And really, frankly, I hardly see any fun in battling with rental Pokémon. To me, the fun of Pokémon is raising, as I've said somewhere before. To me the whole point is my Pokémon that I raised which have my movesets. Sure, having them is nice, but I don't see any reason to break down and hate the game just for not having them. Colosseum and XD had a different emphasis than Stadium and Stadium 2; deal with it. We don't know how the emphasis on Pokémon Battle Revolution will be, unlike some people here who seem to think that Genius Sonority = a game that's exactly like Colosseum and XD.
Well, see, here's the thing. 1) Colosseum didn't have enough TMs to allow you to create your own movesets; at least, movesets that would be viable in a competitive field. 2) Stadium allowed you, and encouraged you, to use your own games. However, they had an option FOR THOSE THAT DIDN'T POSSESS HANDHELDS. You may have RSEFRLGDP, but someone out there doesn't. Stadium at least allowed them access to a full library of ready-made Pokemon so that they could enjoy the game to the fullest. Colosseum gave crap. GoD was better, but for a game completely designed to be an RPG, it was rather poor at that.

OMFGrhombus
6th October 2006, 3:42 PM
I am probably the only sentient being in the universe who didn't get bored of the shadow thing. I was probably blinded by all the hype. Anyway, I really hope it isn't a shadow Pokemon RPG, BUT AN ACTUAL POKEMON RPG!! Eh, Eh?

EDIT: When XD first came out, I spent a lot of time gazing at the elaborate graphics. Maybe that's where the storyline went? But I'd like both if I could have 'em.

[AceAussie]
6th October 2006, 3:54 PM
RPG = The Best
Stadium got old fast i mean what do you do other them play mini games and battle mean those games were nice but lame..colo might of been bad but atleast fans were finally able to get Ho-Oh and some johto pokemon which was real good...

Dragonfree
6th October 2006, 4:25 PM
Well, see, here's the thing. 1) Colosseum didn't have enough TMs to allow you to create your own movesets; at least, movesets that would be viable in a competitive field.
Who ever mentioned "in a competitive field"? I'm not doing competitive battling with these Pokémon; I have no friends that play Pokémon, remember? I just give them some lousy in-game movesets, and I love them for it. There are few things in my history of playing Pokémon that I regret more than attempting to improve the n00bish all-damage movesets of my Yellow version Pokémon once I somewhat knew what I was doing.

2) Stadium allowed you, and encouraged you, to use your own games. However, they had an option FOR THOSE THAT DIDN'T POSSESS HANDHELDS. You may have RSEFRLGDP, but someone out there doesn't. Stadium at least allowed them access to a full library of ready-made Pokemon so that they could enjoy the game to the fullest.
See, the way I look at it, they could not enjoy the game to the fullest. They were given some premade Pokémon with crappy movesets and told "Okay, battle with this." Nowhere NEAR the experience of using your own Pokémon. I'm not saying rental Pokémon aren't nice to have anyway, but I don't see how they're so terribly important that games without them suck.

Don Knotts
6th October 2006, 10:45 PM
If they expand the explorable areas, make them truly vast and detailed, ditch the music for a more classical style like the GBA games, ditch the horridly tedious purification system, and give the option to speed up or skip battle animations, then this could end up being the greatest Pokemon game ever.

If not, it will just be another "take the good with the bad" Pokemon Gaiden game, like Ranger and Mystery Dungeon.

zapdoszapdosrulzandpwns
7th October 2006, 12:59 AM
For those people complaining about a limited selection, what if they made it so every basic pokemon was shadow? Might take a while to make it, but it would shut up the haters.

Topaz Archer
7th October 2006, 2:04 AM
Who ever mentioned "in a competitive field"? I'm not doing competitive battling with these Pokémon; I have no friends that play Pokémon, remember? I just give them some lousy in-game movesets, and I love them for it. There are few things in my history of playing Pokémon that I regret more than attempting to improve the n00bish all-damage movesets of my Yellow version Pokémon once I somewhat knew what I was doing.

See, the way I look at it, they could not enjoy the game to the fullest. They were given some premade Pokémon with crappy movesets and told "Okay, battle with this." Nowhere NEAR the experience of using your own Pokémon. I'm not saying rental Pokémon aren't nice to have anyway, but I don't see how they're so terribly important that games without them suck.

GAH. That made the most since i have ever heard. this is exacttly what i think of XD and Colloseum.

Wes
7th October 2006, 3:50 AM
ditch the music for a more classical style like the GBA games,

Excuse me? In my personal opinion I would rather take the music from the console games then the repetitive sounds from the handhelds. Miror. B's XD theme just plained kicked ***! Ahem...

No offense but when the handhelds do the same things over and over again but with improvements they are appreciated but when Colosseum came out it was loathed because of it trying to be new and incorporate some major new gameplay styles into the Pokemon series.

Stadium games? They has two (okay three-one being in Japan but whatever) well known N64 games and were praised yet.... they were just improvements! Nothing major! Still the same old battling only *GASP* 3D! Sure they added minigames but honestly what well known videogame series doesn't eventually get minigames one way or another?

And as others have mentioned companies such as Genius Sonority can learn from their mistakes as XD fixes many complaints from the original... well most at least. Plus at least the plot has some... flavor. With an interesting cast of characters from the grooving Miror. B or scientist girl that reminds me of some teenager or the pompous Snattle who wants to be governor of all things in Orre.

If not, it will just be another "take the good with the bad" Pokemon Gaiden game, like Ranger and Mystery Dungeon.

What does Pokemon Ranger or the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games have to do with this discussion?

Zeeko
7th October 2006, 4:16 AM
the only problem i had with shadows was hwo long it took to purify them in Colo which XD fixed with teh pourification chamber
Stadiums were boring - use these pokemon and fight with them
the game was entirely fighting

And the people that will get PBR will mostlikely have a handheld game - they were made for the people who needed to fill the national dex on their SP's

I want it to be somthing new - maybe your a gym leader and while defending your title you need to go to random places fo rthe material u need to make your badges

maybe your a baddie as you slowly work your way from a grunt to an admin and succed in your goal of raising aruseus or w/e

maybe you beocm a pokemon co-ordinator and top contesteer

all im saying is that XD and Colo. were good as they broke away from teh typical 8 gyms and E4 of teh handhelds

really wanna be a male Officer Jenny where you protect your city from the baddies and go on ranger like missions

aslong as they dont make it pure battling and let you put pokes onto your DS ill be happy

xenero
7th October 2006, 4:41 AM
There wer no rental pokes in Colosseums, my friend and I couldn't even enjoy a few quick battles, bring back the Stadiums.

Comray001
7th October 2006, 5:02 AM
Stadium was good, but Collo and XD was better. Sometimes I play my Stadium 2 and I look at the rentals and think "What the hell, who came up with these movesets?" At least the pokemon on XD (Quick Battle) had decent movesets.

News Lucario
7th October 2006, 6:53 AM

BOO!!!

1.Shadow Poke plots Stink
2.Stadium PWNS Colo and XD
3. ...STADIUM PWNS

PumpedAaron
7th October 2006, 10:59 AM
Err... the Shadow pokemon was unique and inovvataive.

I want them in the 4th gen...

Bliksem
7th October 2006, 6:57 PM

Well then, if you don't play competitively, you have no reason to complain about the 'lousy' movesets that rental Pokemon have. They're not good because they want you to use the more Powerful Pokemon in your handheld games. But for people who don't have the games, they want you to still be able to play it with the vast majority of Pokemon availible. In stadium, as long as your favorite Pokemon wasn't Mewtwo, you could battle with whoever you wanted. Even Mew. The makers of the game didn't go, 'Okay, battle with this.' They said, 'Oh, you don't have your own Pokemon? Well, here, rent these. They're not as good, but at least you can get through the game.'

With Colosseum, there were 48 Pokemon you could choose from. The majority of those 48 were not worth the energy to look at them. That left you with teams with VERY little variety.

No offense but when the handhelds do the same things over and over again but with improvements they are appreciated but when Colosseum came out it was loathed because of it trying to be new and incorporate some major new gameplay styles into the Pokemon series.
Colosseum was hated because it sucked. The graphics were boring. The Pokemon selection was terrible. And it was disappointing as the first console Pokemon RPG. It failed to vault over the raised bar of expectation. GoD is what Colosseum SHOULD have been.

-Buoysel-
7th October 2006, 7:21 PM
I hope it is an RPG without the Shadow concept...Stadium sucked IMO...

KingBoo1
7th October 2006, 8:56 PM
Colosseum was created to get things like Miltank and Croconaw. XD gave those without FR/LG a shot at Kanto legendaries and rare Safari Zone PKMN. Both gave chances at legendaries like Ho-oh and Lugia. Do you agree?
Could Battle Revolution actually be better than GS's previous offerings?

spinda lover
8th October 2006, 1:31 AM
on stadium pokemon made weird sounds when they came out of pokeballs and you couldnt see the trainers.in colosseum and xd pokemon made the sounds from the game boy games and the trainers werent invisible.

PumpedAaron
8th October 2006, 1:45 AM
I think Battle Revolution will be awesome, Even if it is an RPG it's still a 3D link up battling sim. too! *flex*

shirika2436
8th October 2006, 2:55 AM
damn!
genius sonority needs 2 butt out!

Yonowaaru
8th October 2006, 3:37 AM
Wtf. A crap random RPG with those Emo Pokémon again?

Nobody. NOBODY wants some RPG Emo crap into their home console Pokémon games. This MUST be like Stadium. It's about battling with trained/rented pokémon, not about running around with a retarded-looking character stealing Emo pokémon and spending forever to Anti-Emo it.

^^wtf? emo pokemon? emo isn't a label, it's a type of music. Jeesh.
And, you can tell this game is going to be awesome, just be the details and graphics.

Kikas123
8th October 2006, 4:05 AM
The game looks like it's shaping up to be something good, but I really hate the RPG parts, because they usually suck. I'd prefer the space used for Stadium like uses(Mini-Games, Specialty Battle etc)

Darkmaster Rannon
8th October 2006, 10:23 AM
omg I only Got Colos for the Beast Now I'm ******! now they're making another crappy RPG!

Don Knotts
8th October 2006, 10:31 PM
Excuse me? In my personal opinion I would rather take the music from the console games then the repetitive sounds from the handhelds. Miror. B's XD theme just plained kicked ***! Ahem...

Stadium games? They has two (okay three-one being in Japan but whatever) well known N64 games and were praised yet.... they were just improvements! Nothing major! Still the same old battling only *GASP* 3D! Sure they added minigames but honestly what well known videogame series doesn't eventually get minigames one way or another?

And as others have mentioned companies such as Genius Sonority can learn from their mistakes as XD fixes many complaints from the original... well most at least. Plus at least the plot has some... flavor. With an interesting cast of characters from the grooving Miror. B or scientist girl that reminds me of some teenager or the pompous Snattle who wants to be governor of all things in Orre.

What does Pokemon Ranger or the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games have to do with this discussion?

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

The music in Colosseum was really awful. A better word for it would be corny. It was trying to be cool, and it really failed.

And I appreciate that GS tried to do something new. They just failed at it.

Tech 64
9th October 2006, 8:47 PM
All Genius Sonority means is that we're going to get a good looking 3D Game, plus I think it will be a fusion of Statium2 and Xd.

;435; Tech out ;157;

robotwind
9th October 2006, 9:06 PM
if it is like Stdium then the Rental pokemon better have moves picked by the player but, if it is an rpg then the multi player better be better

swellowsoul1
10th October 2006, 11:58 AM
xd has 93 or so pokemon available if u include wilds and rare pokemon trades with this guy. That's quite a bit. you can't blame GS for making a bad first pkmn RPG with Colo. It was a good start. And they vastly improved the mechanics and gameplay with xd. The legendaries in it were awesome. Even Swellow, my fave was obtainable!:P
So if they improved that much with xd, think of how much they'll improve with BR. Heaps. I am pretty certain that battle revolution will be the best console pokemon game. And its gonna come out in a couple months, i think. is it a launch title or not. im not sure... We all have to wait and see.

D-Boi
10th October 2006, 12:05 PM
xd has 93 or so pokemon available if u include wilds and rare pokemon trades with this guy. That's quite a bit. you can't blame GS for making a bad first pkmn RPG with Colo. It was a good start. And they vastly improved the mechanics and gameplay with xd. The legendaries in it were awesome. Even Swellow, my fave was obtainable!:P
So if they improved that much with xd, think of how much they'll improve with BR. Heaps. I am pretty certain that battle revolution will be the best console pokemon game. And its gonna come out in a couple months, i think. is it a launch title or not. im not sure... We all have to wait and see.

I agree. They had a lot of pokemon I liked in X.D. Especially Lugia. I've never tried Gale of Darkness yet. I really want a Lugia. And yes, PBR is going to be a Launch Title.

Milennin
10th October 2006, 9:54 PM
Geez, why do so many hate Genius Sonority, I think Colosseum was a pretty cool game. I liked the RPG with the shadow Pokémon, at least it was something different than the basic 'Pick your starter, get 8 Badges and beat the Elite Four' thing. The music was nice, and real quality. Graphics were decent, not fantastic, but that's not really important to me.
I can't wait for the new Pokémon console game, and hope the RPG-mode is going to kick even more *** than it did in Pokémon Colosseum.8-)

Taruta the Blue Mage
10th October 2006, 10:04 PM
I want this game to be part RPG with Mini-Games and Rental Pokemon. You know like in one part you need to beat a mini-game to get to another part and then you must battle someone with rental Pokemon and they'res a free mode so you can do all that outside story mode

twilight trainer
27th October 2006, 3:47 PM
i hope the event pokemon are the shadow pokemon

HERLS
27th October 2006, 7:25 PM
Yeah, which for many people meant they had to start using Pokemon they weren't used to and probably would not have used otherwise-- oh god. Pokémon usually appearing late in the RPGs arrived fairly early in Colosseum, and so you got to use them a bit earlier too if you liked.

Then let's just fill the Pokedex with UU (underused Pokemon). I actually wouldn't mind that, but Shadow Pokemon is kinda dead. Perhaps Genius Sonority will come out with a fresh take on the Pokemon series, no? Something completely different, like Coloseum was when first released. Because, After some of the ratings Pokemon Coloseum and XD:GOD got, I honestly can't see them using that forumula again. They'd have noticed their mistakes by now.

Back on the topic of "weak" Pokemon (UU ones). What if the whole game was populated by UU "weak" Pokemon? There could perhaps be an online set-up for UU's in online PBR battles - it would be putting weak Pokemon against each other which is perfectly fair, really. And it would give us a chance to use less used Pokemon without getting our asses whipped, too. Some of my favourites are weak Pokemon, but I could never use them in an online battle, or I'd not last two minutes.

SHUCKLE MAN
27th October 2006, 7:53 PM
Back on the topic of "weak" Pokemon (UU ones). What if the whole game was populated by UU "weak" Pokemon? There could perhaps be an online set-up for UU's in online PBR battles - it would be putting weak Pokemon against each other which is perfectly fair, really. And it would give us a chance to use less used Pokemon without getting our asses whipped, too. Some of my favourites are weak Pokemon, but I could never use them in an online battle, or I'd not last two minutes.

The already do this on NetBattle. They do it with NU (NeverUsed) Pokemon too.

Collo wasnt a bad game, it was just that Stadium and Stadium 2 were so frickin' awesome that Collo seemed really bad to most people who were expecting a Stadium 3. I want a Stadium 3, not that Ive seen what happens if we have an RPG in 3D. Especially since the Stadium series are a lot harder than the Collo series.

XDCOMPLETE
29th October 2006, 7:52 AM
Why don't they make a combination of Stadium and Collo? Everyone will be happy then!

tangelax
1st November 2006, 9:08 PM
Why don't they make a combination of Stadium and Collo? Everyone will be happy then!

thats what I want because Ive got stadium but ive never tried a 3d pokemon rpg

Pamizard
1st November 2006, 9:19 PM
I have both stadium games too. I love the sounds all teh Pokemon make. the sounds that are made when they faint. and the Announcer. AND I ESPICALLY LOVE the mini games

Pokefreak
1st November 2006, 9:31 PM
The Shadow Pkmn Plot isn't Boring IMO but I'd like Wild Pokemon.And Shadows are usually very rare Pkmn

revenge
1st November 2006, 9:39 PM
uh-oh, this could be good, or bad, shinis bieng wierd(bad) ITS A RPG (good)!!! shadow pkmn... (bad)!!

JazzJazz
1st November 2006, 9:50 PM

They could even go further and throw in some new features to attract some new fans of the console games...