PDA

View Full Version : Following a Maiden Voyage! (469)

Serebii
28th September 2006, 2:38 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/469.jpgFollowing a Maiden Voyage!

In the land of Sinnoh, Dawn has turned the age of 10 and is to meet Professor Rowan in Sandgem Town in order to receive her first Pokémon. Dreaming of partaking in Super Contests, she manages to get lost before getting to the lab. However once she gets there the Pokémon are fighting and escape the laboratory. Will she be able to faciliate the return of Turtwig, Chimchar and Piplup? Where is Ash in all of this?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/shinou/469.shtml)

Discuss

CyberCubed
28th September 2006, 11:17 PM
Well...I've seen the pics.

If this episode is anything to go by, we're in for more of the same. Hikari is cute, but her mother is HORRIBLE! Jesus Christ, her mother looks deformed and with a horrible hair-do to boot. Where is her father? Is Hikari an only child like Ash?

Kabuto
28th September 2006, 11:20 PM
Once again he discusses the episode before seeing it...

S.Suikun
28th September 2006, 11:52 PM
Hikari's mom is no Caroline, that's for sure.

Mukkuru's final form sure looks weird. Glad they used Ariados instead of Beedrill for a change, though I'd prefer to see one of the new bugs.

Looks like Ash IS in the episode, but only the last minute.

ghost master
28th September 2006, 11:54 PM
Having seen pics I'll base it off those but its not exactly perfect because I haven't seen the episode and dialogue would be important.

Anyway the epi starts of with Hikari waking up and getting ready. She passes by her Mother's collection of awards and trophies and looks at those. Her mother is the champion for the Supercontests. Then hikari pets and talks to her mother's 4th gen cat pokemon(cant remember its name sorry). Her and her mother are their eating breakfast and talking. She recieves direction to the lab to pick up her starter pokemon. She instantly gets excited and imagines different costumes and ways of using each starter in super contests. Hikari gets packed and comes out to the porch to her mother. Unfortunately Hikari packed a large suitcase full of clothes and whatnot. Her mother helps her re-pack and has it all in that little backpack she's been seen wearing. Hikari's mom hands her a ribbon. I'm not sure what it signifies though. Hikari waves goodbye to her mother as she begins to start her new adventure. The house reminds me of a rich country house with the porch and furniture. I assume she would have a lot of money since the mother was the champion and all.

Hikari gets lost in the town though and is going around the town trying to figure out where to go until she bumps into the proffesor. She goes to the lab and is introduced to the starters. There is also a Mukkuru and Mukkuhawk. They all seem to be eating away at the food. It appears that Hikozaru takes some food from pocchama and there is none left. Pocchama tears a tiny bit and is angry. She blasts Hikozaru with a bubble. Fire monkey and hawk escape and runaway. Hikari volunteers to find them and pocchama comes along. Naetoru is there clueless and continues eating. Hikari goes out and they show off a couple of D/P pokemon. There you see Hikozaru and Pocchama is mad at it and chases after it trying to blast it with bubble. She chases it until Pocchamma gets stuckin an ariados web along with random pokemon (including gasp dunsparce). Hikari saves it and Pocchama is happy then realizes it is with Hikari and gets back into its same spunky attittude. Hikari tries talking to it and swaying it over with some food. It rejects the food and then a bunch of ariados' attack with web shot and poison sting. Hikari tries to save Pocchama and herself but gets hit. Pocchama saves them both and stops the Ariados from attacking anymore. Hikari carries it to the lab and gives it to some food. Hikozaru gets saved by Mukkuhawk.

Then it is up to Hikari to chose her starter. Naturally she picks Pocchama who is doing a pose. Got to admit that Pocchama has alot of spunk. Then there is a quick scene with Ash, pika and aipom on the ship and he has a little conversation with oak and tracey over the computer. TR attack and get blasted off and blah blah blah.

Munchlax 357
29th September 2006, 12:42 AM
can someone plz post a vid :(

DANdotW
29th September 2006, 12:45 AM
After seeing only the pictures, I can't base a proper opinion, but I think it looks amazing.

Hikari's ideas of her appeals looked awesome, as did Mukkuhawk. I'm loving the animation of it, and...well I'm in love with the idea of Satoshi ending up with that.

Hmm...I prefer the Pikachu scenes to those of AG. Haruka suddenly deciding to help Satoshi is like, nothing compared to Hikari finding him and taking him back. Shinji...looks brilliant. Slightly dark and arrogant, which I love.

Takeshi's new clothes are looking better, and the Truck Girl who gave him a lift is hot. I'm hoping now, we can see the group ignoring him and talking over him when he goes crazy for a girl. If Hikari pulls his ear, then I'll begin to dislike her :/ That was Kasumi's thing, not Masato's.

Masukippa for Kojiro...not too bad. Reminds me of Victreebel a lot, and I miss him.

Iota

Weav-vile
29th September 2006, 12:58 AM
Having seen pics I'll base it off those but its not exactly perfect because I haven't seen the episode and dialogue would be important.

Anyway the epi starts of with Hikari waking up and getting ready. She passes by her Mother's collection of awards and trophies and looks at those. Her mother is the champion for the Supercontests. Then hikari pets and talks to her mother's 4th gen cat pokemon(cant remember its name sorry). Her and her mother are their eating breakfast and talking. She recieves direction to the lab to pick up her starter pokemon. She instantly gets excited and imagines different costumes and ways of using each starter in super contests. Hikari gets packed and comes out to the porch to her mother. Unfortunately Hikari packed a large suitcase full of clothes and whatnot. Her mother helps her re-pack and has it all in that little backpack she's been seen wearing. Hikari's mom hands her a ribbon. I'm not sure what it signifies though. Hikari waves goodbye to her mother as she begins to start her new adventure. The house reminds me of a rich country house with the porch and furniture. I assume she would have a lot of money since the mother was the champion and all.

Hikari gets lost in the town though and is going around the town trying to figure out where to go until she bumps into the proffesor. She goes to the lab and is introduced to the starters. There is also a Mukkuru and Mukkuhawk. They all seem to be eating away at the food. It appears that Hikozaru takes some food from pocchama and there is none left. Pocchama tears a tiny bit and is angry. She blasts Hikozaru with a bubble. Fire monkey and hawk escape and runaway. Hikari volunteers to find them and pocchama comes along. Naetoru is there clueless and continues eating. Hikari goes out and they show off a couple of D/P pokemon. There you see Hikozaru and Pocchama is mad at it and chases after it trying to blast it with bubble. She chases it until Pocchamma gets stuckin an ariados web along with random pokemon (including gasp dunsparce). Hikari saves it and Pocchama is happy then realizes it is with Hikari and gets back into its same spunky attittude. Hikari tries talking to it and swaying it over with some food. It rejects the food and then a bunch of ariados' attack with web shot and poison sting. Hikari tries to save Pocchama and herself but gets hit. Pocchama saves them both and stops the Ariados from attacking anymore. Hikari carries it to the lab and gives it to some food. Hikozaru gets saved by Mukkuhawk.

Then it is up to Hikari to chose her starter. Naturally she picks Pocchama who is doing a pose. Got to admit that Pocchama has alot of spunk. Then there is a quick scene with Ash, pika and aipom on the ship and he has a little conversation with oak and tracey over the computer. TR attack and get blasted off and blah blah blah.

You did the entire resume... That's exactly that, and I love it!!! :D
Hikari rox, new pokés rox... I'm so excited about the new series, and I disagree about what CyberCubed did say...
But well, everyone's got an opinion. :)

Zoramon089
29th September 2006, 3:55 AM
Where'd u guys see pics?

Korobooshi Kojiro
29th September 2006, 4:41 AM
Hey, Pochamma beat 3 Ariados!

Sound fammiliar? Lol.....XD

S.Suikun
29th September 2006, 4:49 AM
Yeah...the writers must really hate Ariados.

CyberCubed
29th September 2006, 5:07 AM
Hey, Pochamma beat 3 Ariados!

Sound fammiliar? Lol.....XD

LOL. I did think the Ariados in this episode was pretty random.

I wonder what Yamato-San will have to say when he sees this...

MugenKeiji
29th September 2006, 5:35 AM
Hikari's mother looks younger than Hanako...she'd almost pass for her sister.

Although now I associate the hairstyle with Dr. Girlfriend. Sometimes Rukia Kuchiki...sometimes.

PokemonFan_Samuel
29th September 2006, 12:24 PM
Where'd u guys see pics?

Same question!
We'd like to see the pics.

The Big Al
29th September 2006, 4:21 PM
Oh great, Hikari's mom was a coordinator. Well, I guess it gives her a reason to want to be a coordinator in her own right. And it seems wearing costumes in contests is a tradition in Shinou.

Anyway, I agree with everyone who says Pochama is a brat. Though it makes it the opposite of the spineless Torchic. Watch as it turns into a big softy when it evolves.

AcethePuma
29th September 2006, 4:30 PM
http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=153376&page=18

here are links to the pics

Blazing Charmander
29th September 2006, 6:01 PM
I saw a 5 minute clip of the episode on Youtube and this episode looks like a cool start to the D/P series.

Does anyone know what attack Pocchama used to defeat those Ariados? It was a huge burst of blinding light energy. A bit strong for a new starter?

Another thing to note from the clip was that when Hikari got to a lake, one of that legendary Psychic trio graced her presence, in a similar manner to how Suicune did at the start of Johto.

ghost master
29th September 2006, 6:34 PM
Does anyone know what attack Pocchama used to defeat those Ariados? It was a huge burst of blinding light energy. A bit strong for a new starter? Don't know looking at the moves Pocchama can learn it could be bide maybe. The pics didnt show the legendary trio so thanx for mentioning that.

Blazing Charmander
29th September 2006, 6:42 PM
Oh, and especially for Gravy, making an appearance after so many episodes is...

... Dunsparce!!!

Yes, that's right. Don't think that your eyes decieve you. It is caught up in Ariados' web with a few other Pokemon, like Pidgey and Rattata.

So, how many episodes was that without Dunsparce appearing, Gravy?

ghost master
29th September 2006, 7:39 PM
yeah I noticed that and LOL'd. Anyway yeah the attack is definitly bide that Pocchamma uses against the Ariados. They havent used bide in the anime before have they or its been a long time at least.

thanx for the link to youtube BC, I like the music when the legendary is revealling itself to Hikari and Pocchama.

DIZZI
29th September 2006, 8:13 PM
hmm a new series with a girl as the main character sounds different but looks like its got some potential.

CyberCubed
29th September 2006, 8:14 PM
hmm a new series with a girl as the main character sounds different but looks like its got some potential.

Sounds different? It's about exactly the same as AG without a little brother.

DIZZI
29th September 2006, 8:24 PM
no no i mean the series started with a girl right off the bat not a girl joining a group of trainers

Bliksem
29th September 2006, 8:40 PM
yeah I noticed that and LOL'd. Anyway yeah the attack is definitly bide that Pocchamma uses against the Ariados. They havent used bide in the anime before have they or its been a long time at least.

thanx for the link to youtube BC, I like the music when the legendary is revealling itself to Hikari and Pocchama.
There was a Youtube link? Please show me.

Rapiido
29th September 2006, 9:26 PM
The episode pictures aren't working for me.... TT Says "This page does not exist"

Dreamcoat
29th September 2006, 10:44 PM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/Dreamcoat/ZOMG111.png

OMG! DUNSPARCE'S ALIVE?!

Pika Hikari KT
29th September 2006, 10:58 PM
Rattata's also in that web, and I still insist the little guy deserves an episode to itself. It really does.

There was a Youtube link? Please show me.
I don't think we're allowed, sorry. I did watch the clip though. Pocchama's one stubborn little birdie!:p

Umi Mizuno
30th September 2006, 4:27 AM
Hikari's mom is... freaky. Oo

Hikari's voice ok but a bit too high and girly, but I've withstood tons so I'll get use to it.

Yay for Ariados showing up, long needed screentime. :<

Sailor Universe
30th September 2006, 11:47 AM
Well, I've seen the pictures, and it looks like the Shinou saga will be highly entertaining.

Hikari seems like a sweet little girl with lots of personality. The only thing that bugs me is that the producers immidiately made her a Haruka clone by giving her the ambition of being a Coordinator. Seriously, why does the female protagonist always get an ambition like that? :<

And Dunsparce gets some screentime! Yay!! Even if it just appears in a few seconds, I'm happy.

Flamez
30th September 2006, 12:28 PM
Saw the episode. The start is excellent, Hikari and Poochama are great.
Hikari wants to take a whoe suitcase of clothes with her but her mom persuades her not to. lol
I loved the music.
Poochama is such a brat but at the same time its really cute. I love its personality. Poochama uses Bide against the Ariados to protect Hikari. The way they see the legendary reminds me of Ash seeing Suicune for the first time.
Hikari is pretty smart, she doesnt look at pokemon and say "whats that?" all the freakin time.
Ash is my favorite character and all but it was nice to see this episode concentrate on Hikari and Poochama.
Overall IMO, a perfect start.
Going to watch the second episode right now. Peace.

The Benmeister
30th September 2006, 12:29 PM
The reaction Pocchama has upon being teased by Hikozaru is hilarious in my opinion.

Kabuto
30th September 2006, 3:43 PM
LMAO, this episode was great. DP 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>AG 1

tangelax
30th September 2006, 4:02 PM
heres a link to the clip http://youtube.com/watch?v=kItajmeR2Bk, I think it its bind that pochama uses.

BattleFranky~40
30th September 2006, 4:30 PM
Hikari's definatly an idiot, but a lovable one.

My favorite part was the fact that Naetoru just sat there eating his food while hell was going on in the lab.

Akaba
30th September 2006, 7:07 PM
That was a pretty solid episode. Instead of haming a famous GYM LEADER parent, she had a famous COORDINATOR PARENT!

OH.

Now THAT is original.

And easily, seriously - the best part was the Hiko owning Poochama by taking it's food...

And Naetoru just eating.

Just eating.

Doin' nothing.

And I really do like Mukkuhawk. Really good desgin.

Chatsy
30th September 2006, 7:24 PM
Seems people are way too caught up in the D/P hype to see that this is more of the same.
Seems some people are way too caught up in irrelevant details to make a generic conclusion which has no hold in the big picture.

Giving D/P a chance my rear end! You're already pointing and screaming "JOHTO" like a muslim would've yelled "JIHAD" at the writers. That's so... sad.

Gravy
30th September 2006, 7:26 PM
Am I the only one who found it incredibly stupid that both Peck and Fury Swipes now have to be animated with that awful white glow shoved on top of them? Methinks someone behind this show has a fetish for this sort of thing. I bet shining a light on a mirror really turns them on~

And hey! Bubblebeam has, once again, been altered for absolutely no reason at all! :D

Also, I'd like to add that Hikozaru was freaking adorable. I loved it's 'Uki, Uki!' cry.
And Mukuhawk sounded like an early-morning rooster. Shweet.

The only real entertaining part of this episode was Poochama and Hikari fighting with each other.

The rest of the episode was fairly poor. Seems people are way too caught up in the D/P hype to see that this is more of the same.

It would be great if the good writing from AG/Battle Frontier could continue this saga, but so far they're setting themselves up for the johto syndrome.
AG 1 was pretty lame, looking back at it. All it happened to be was another mushy Ash and Pikachu episode, with Haruka's introduction kinda thrown in on the side for good measure. DP 1 wasn't exactly the best episode ever either, but at least this time around the writers actually made an iota of an attempt to do something different, resulting in something pretty enjoyable. The new character got (almost) all the focus, and some decent interaction with her pokémon, which was supplied with a decent personallity in the process. And the entire lab scene made me smile, so they're obviously doing something right.

CyberCubed
30th September 2006, 7:35 PM
AG 1 was pretty lame, looking back at it. All it happened to be was another mushy Ash and Pikachu episode, with Haruka's introduction kinda thrown in on the side for good measure.

I watched AG1 yesterday in order to compare it to D/P #1, and while obviously May had far less spotlight than Hikari did, her introduction wasn't as sidelined as you remember it.

After May was introduced, she went to Birch's lab to look for him, then saw him on the field, then tried to help him with Mudkip and only got sprayed in the face, and then worked with Birch to rescue Ash/Pikachu out of danger.

D/P #2 focuses on Pikachu getting stolen/lost/whatever and found just like Ag1 did, so what's the difference? All they did was push the Pikachu story to the last half and continue into the second episode.

I also much preffered how Ash and May got to travel alone for a while before Max/Brock showed up. In D/P, we never get to see Ash and Hikari play off each other solo.

And for god sakes, seeing Ash with his AG clothes in D/P bugs the HELL out of me. He looks so out of place.

All they're doing this time is mixing the same story around. Hikari tries to capture her first Pokemon quickly, but May waits until AG2.

I also don't appreciate it that Hikari is another energetic girly girl, but that has more to do with her character in general rather than D/P #1.

S_P
30th September 2006, 7:58 PM
Some people are too AG or Haruka biased to notice that there were several components that never been used before. Though we're all biased, since I tend to like episodes that have multiple events that occured sequentially.

Regardless of how you look at it, Hikari's debut different than Haruka's debut. If there weren't similar components, then it could have strayed too far from the original concept. I thought it was good in a completely different perspective. It also presented a different approach.

It also contained the strength of pokemon incorporating.

It looked like the D/P animation system is different in the context that they tried several new things. Emphasis on being lost was shown in mere seconds instead of an entire episode. Most of those facial expressions were almost never used either. The sliding of the pan I also don't recall was used often either. Also, since when did they have those square split shot sort of things? They've done split shots a million times in say battles, but the way they displayed that format was never done before. It felt nothing like AG.

Mishiro Town was so peaceful that there were no pokemon to pokemon conflicts. However, in Masago Town it seemed like by simple nature there was conflict. If D/P is really considered that much similar than AG, then congratulations since some believe AG was the best season, yay you keep the best format! But no that's false because the best part of AG was actually Haruka. I mean, the more similar it is to AG, the further it gets from things like Jouto syndrome. Isn't that a good thing?

I will say that the episode had plenty of exaggeration though. Some exaggerations were a bit much, but some were fitting in some ways.

I was satisfied throughout the episode. I liked the context, and the implementation of Hikari was definitely interesting.

CyberCubed
30th September 2006, 8:19 PM
If D/P is really considered that much similar than AG, then congratulations since some believe AG was the best season, yay you keep the best format!

It generally is the same format, (Gyms/Contests, Brock, fillers, etc.), but the problem is its more of the same. The only real huge advantage D/P has so far is Ash's rivals, (Shinji and Gary)

But since they already piled two rivals on Ash, it makes me fear that Hikari won't get any at all. Are they really going to have three recurring rivals in the same saga?

I mean, the more similar it is to AG, the further it gets from things like Jouto syndrome. Isn't that a good thing?

Not if its too similar. Hikari was definitely written differently during her introduction and attitude toward Pokemon, but when you think of the future, there's the strong chance she'll revert to the same way May was in mid-Hoenn. She'll be competent, but still a bit clueless, and as such, we have a repeat of many of the same things May's character went through.

At that point Hikari will just seem like another energetic girly coordinator who is learning from the older trainers, Ash/Brock. It's far too similar a dynamic to AG, and Hikari doesn't get the benefit to her personality that May did, who had to look after a younger sibling.

I would enjoy Hikari more if she wasn't going to go down the same road May did, (Contests), because aside from the dancing, I don't see the writers treating the Contest eps any differently. Hikari will meet her coordinator friends, learn from them, etc., win a ribbon, move on. It's May's quest in a redux, and Hikari being girly doesn't help matters either.

Alfonso
30th September 2006, 8:23 PM
Just watched and done the guide for the episode... Joe should be uploading it soon. Some good and bad points to the episode:

Good:

-Naetoru doing nothing. The thing just didn't give a DAMN about ANYTHING that was going on around it. Now that's just awesome, and it's made me decide to want to choose one for my starter. : D

-Hikari is an alright character. I'll probably end up hating her somewhat as time goes on, and she mistreats some minor character I like, or rival coordinator. :< I loved those little facial expressions that came up as she was dashing around town.

-Ariados. : D

-Dunsparce : D

-Tracey appearing, and the return of Oak's lecture.

Bad points:

-Hikari's mother is a DOG. After the sexyness of Delia, Lola and Caroline, she's a huge, ugly step back. Her figure looks like an horrible deformed stick, and how she became a Top Coordinator is beyond me.

-Hikari's mother looking disapprovingly at the short dress Hikari was going to take along. STFU. D:

-The same judges. I'm hoping that there will be different judges this time around, despite what the first episode showed. During Kanto it was fine, because the Houen one was probably not taking place for another year, but it should be back on right about now, not to mention the Johto Contests.

-Ash at the end. It would have been perfect for him to not be in the episode, but NO, he has to be in every damn one. :<

-Meowth and Jessie bickering causes them to fail when they would have got away.

-Hikari's complete lack of chest.

That's all, really. Tracey didn't say anything at all, which annoyed me. He just stood there, like a cardboard cutout.

Crimsonmon
30th September 2006, 8:32 PM
Am I the only one who found it incredibly stupid that both Peck and Fury Swipes now have to be animated with that awful white glow shoved on top of them? Methinks someone behind this show has a fetish for this sort of thing. I bet shining a light on a mirror really turns them on~

Not only that, but literally every attack apart from peck now causes an explosion. (Where as in the BF it was about 3/4 of the attacks)

Korobooshi Kojiro
30th September 2006, 8:34 PM
OMGWTF!?

Oak Lecture's were bacK? PICS!

diablohuman
30th September 2006, 8:34 PM
I think this was a great start to the new series, I look forward to Hikari's charecter development.

Crimsonmon
30th September 2006, 9:03 PM
OMGWTF!?

Oak Lecture's were bacK? PICS!

You're lucky that I don't have anything better to do with my life.

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/8255/dpoak01vt3.jpg

Korobooshi Kojiro
30th September 2006, 9:06 PM
Oak better get beat up by Hoenn and Shinou Pokemon in the upcoming weeks!

Dreamer
30th September 2006, 9:08 PM
interesting start.

what I liked:

Hikari: I like Hikari, I think she might even grow to like her more then Misty.

Pochama: that attitude and those tantrums give it a great personality.

Naetoru: all that chaos, and neatoru just kept on eating like nothing happened...gotta love that :)

Ash: he was in this episode after all :). being an Ash-fan for a long time, I was happy he was in this episode, even though I liked it theyy focused on Hikari, she deserved a proper introduction.

what I didn't like:

Hikari's mother: compared to other mothers like Delia and Caroline she looks...well, let's just say she doesn't impress me at all.

Pochama's Bide: it seemed a bit unbelievable a pochama with almost no battle experience was able to defeat all of those ariados.

I'd give it a 8/10. a great start

Squirtle_007
30th September 2006, 9:31 PM
OK, saw the episode and here´s my thoughts:
* Hikari´s mother looks like a lollipop
* Hikari is just "meh" for me, nothing out of this world
* Hikari´s contest fantasy just confirms the fact that Super Contests won´t have any difference with ordinary Contests apart from the dressing part (a part that Musashi did in Hoenn and Kanto anyway)
* I prefer Pocchama over Torchic but not over Combusken, I hope it never evolves
* Naetoru doing nothing but eat in all that chaos was great
* I hope Hikozaru won´t end in Takeshi´s team, it´s a very energetic Pokémon to be rotting in it´s pokéball under a mediocre trainer´s command
* Hikari´s Ranma ˝ style jumps to dodge attacks we´re very ... unrealistic I mean ... even Satoshi had some travelling time before he could climb Team Rocket´s mechas
* The same judges makes me fear that there won´t be Haruka´s Johto arc I mean ... I don´t think they will travel between Johto and Shinou every time
* Prof. Namakado sending Hikari to bring Pocchama and Hikozaru back to the lab looked very irresponsible from him I mean ... if all the lab crew couldn´t control them, what makes him think that a girl without Pokémon would do the job?
* I missed Beedrill swarm :D
* Am I the only one who thinks Hikari´s legs are overdeveloped?

S.Suikun
1st October 2006, 12:51 AM
Finally saw the episode. Apparently I've been pronouncing Hikari's name totally wrong. Naetle is my God. The world is falling apart and it just keeps eating, completely oblivious to the chaos. It doesn't even take note of the glass shattering or the Professor and Hikari entering the room, for crying out loud. Quite possibly the dumbest living thing since Brock's Lotad, but it also gains a heapload of respect in my book.

The rest of the ep was kinda boring. If anything, things were far more of a rehash of the very first episode of Pokemon rather than the first episode of AG. Pokemon not obeying at first. Spearow attack = Ariados attack. Pikachu saving trainer = Pochama saving trainer. Ash seeing Ho-oh = Hikari seeing...one of those psychic trio things.

The animation wasn't too great, but at least the music was different.

BattleFranky~40
1st October 2006, 12:56 AM
I found it odd that Hikari, for a split second, seemed to have superhuman speed while dodging that Bubble attack.

CyberCubed
1st October 2006, 12:58 AM
All Pokemon characters have duex ex moments.

How do you think a beginning Poochama took down the fully evolved Ariados?

Weav-vile
1st October 2006, 1:04 AM
Just watched and done the guide for the episode... Joe should be uploading it soon. Some good and bad points to the episode:

Good:

-Naetoru doing nothing. The thing just didn't give a DAMN about ANYTHING that was going on around it. Now that's just awesome, and it's made me decide to want to choose one for my starter. : D

-Hikari is an alright character. I'll probably end up hating her somewhat as time goes on, and she mistreats some minor character I like, or rival coordinator. :< I loved those little facial expressions that came up as she was dashing around town.

-Ariados. : D

-Dunsparce : D

-Tracey appearing, and the return of Oak's lecture.

Bad points:

-Hikari's mother is a DOG. After the sexyness of Delia, Lola and Caroline, she's a huge, ugly step back. Her figure looks like an horrible deformed stick, and how she became a Top Coordinator is beyond me.

-Hikari's mother looking disapprovingly at the short dress Hikari was going to take along. STFU. D:

-The same judges. I'm hoping that there will be different judges this time around, despite what the first episode showed. During Kanto it was fine, because the Houen one was probably not taking place for another year, but it should be back on right about now, not to mention the Johto Contests.

-Ash at the end. It would have been perfect for him to not be in the episode, but NO, he has to be in every damn one. :<

-Meowth and Jessie bickering causes them to fail when they would have got away.

-Hikari's complete lack of chest.

That's all, really. Tracey didn't say anything at all, which annoyed me. He just stood there, like a cardboard cutout.

I actually love Hikari's mum. And I think I'm the only one till now, hahaha!!!
C'mon, she has style! *_*
Awwwwwww, and you forgot to mention here the part in which Hikari and her Pocchama see that new legendary thing... I simply LOVE that part, it was awesome... That thing seems REALLY lovely and CUTE! \o\
And thanks so much for the epi. guide!!! ^^

Akaba
1st October 2006, 1:18 AM
Hikari seriously showed Rock Lee skills by dodging that attack.

It wasn't like a small dodge, she TOTALLY jumped back like a ninja.

Weav-vile
1st October 2006, 1:24 AM
Hikari seriously showed Rock Lee skills by dodging that attack.

It wasn't like a small dodge, she TOTALLY jumped back like a ninja.

Hikari's my everything in only PERFECT one! <3

Akeji
1st October 2006, 3:03 AM
I LOL at anyone bothering to complain about the Pokemon anime. It's like people don't realize that it's the same generic, formulaic plot just about every single episode, with a broader, just as generic and just as similar plot for each season/series.

With that said, this was a surprisingly uncrappy episode (probably just because it doesn't follow the generic episodic plot that most episodes do, because this one is a starting episode). Hikari seems fun, and I officially <3 Pocchama. It's such a ***** but it's really cute and fun. Its voice is really good too.

Squirtle85
1st October 2006, 3:52 AM
Finish watching DP1, WAY BETTER THAN AG. finally some action and Pokemon acting like the natural animals they are and not like Pieces of advertising. Just like Kanto all over again and I love it. Her Mom looks more sucesfful than May's parents.

DP 1 pwns AG 1. I'm very odjective when it comes to the media.. I just feel like watching more episodes something I haven't felt in a LONG TIME. My love for Pokemon has been reborned..

Korobooshi Kojiro
1st October 2006, 3:54 AM
Am I the only one who like's Ms. Hikari?

Her hair is alot like mine, oddly enough.

S_P
1st October 2006, 4:17 AM
The dodging concept was rather interesting. Not necessarily realistic, but a nice ability. I forgot if she could super jump too (various characters have done some form of a large leap, particularly gym leaders).

Another thing about the dodging was that she looked like she was ready to dodge. It's like huh an attack? *dodges* Nothing like omg run away!

And yeah, I don't want to think too much about the contest component. So far it's nice that it was derived by family success, but it does have the weakness on how the actual contest will be formatted. No matter how differently it is presented, some sort of component has to be similar (aka obviously there's some "performance", and there's also some "judging". The policies or rules may be different and all, but those two things are most likely definite). The contests should be coming about soon enough, but it hasn't occured so we'll have to see what happens and how it works out.

Can anyone put a wild guess on what that Naetoru's personality was? I can't seem to put a single word for that description. Ignorant of blowing winds and unusual circumstances, but fearful of the professor that doesn't seem to show much emotion. It's posing to Hikari was also a mere yawn. I really don't know what kind of personality it has (and thinking it's ignorant/lazy/fearful-of-professor doesn't sound right either)

Well, since Hikari was basically the lead for the episode, it was a nice different perspective. However, if she gets fully implemented with Satoshi, I am not sure what problems can arise, since there are a lot of potential difficulties along those lines.

This episode did exaggerate many things though. Even Bide looked exaggerated even though the concept was correct. It was also funny how Hikari and Pochama interacted as complete strangers. It's not exactly disobeying since Hikari didn't even own it until after the Ariados rampage.

It seems like Hikari has technical preparation, but imperfect execution. No running or walking weakness, but certainly a directional weakness. She had strategy though. I believe directing a pokemon to aim at you to achieve another goal (in this case, destruction of spider web) was quite rare. I only recall Satoshi doing this while Pikachu was controlled over 350 episodes earlier (other characters doing this include Kenta, but that was a taunt). I don't think that was much of an initial AG mechanic at all. But seriously, the evasion was quite nice. What I wonder is, where did Hikari get that from? On the other hand I find it a definite plus since it's a new interesting component.

Well, it's a nice innate ability regardless. Super legs or something, to be able to bike at ridiculous speeds and to dodge that fast. I don't even think Hikari got TIRED doing all of that. Shock, surprise, whatever ... I don't recall exhaustion by Hikari. A lot of different emotions were presented, but things like the laboratory disaster she didn't look one bit shocked.

Does she have some kind of threshold that prevents her from being surprised/shocked from unusual circumstance yet so ready that in some ways she knows exactly what to do? However, she's also flawed enough to have blunders here and there. She also can know what to do but doesn't do it the most efficient way (ex: Proper resources such as map, but didn't route towards there correctly. Knowing what she wanted to do but being inefficient in carrying supplies. Not watching the road and hitting a rock. Still not watching the road and sliding down a small hill.) Well I guess that's the display of being ditsy, which I was expecting out of her character, so that was done successfully.

Of course I find this all interesting so I'm very well satisfied with the first episode. I think it was a great first impression, and right now I cannot really predict the next sequence of events (aside from the common get the bird, get a starter, go to a contest, and probably showcase a pokemon or two).

Er, doesn't being ditsy kind of contradict the ninja-like evasion? I thought you needed terrific balance and dexterity to mobilise that without flaw. Direction isn't perfect but she doesn't seem to have flaws correlated to actual movement and thus can run quite a bit and dodge quite a bit.

Squirtle_007
1st October 2006, 4:41 AM
Her Mom looks more sucesfful than May's parents.

ALL the people in Hoenn knows who Senri is, how could you say that if you just saw one episode and nobody identified Hikari like "Ayako´s daughter"?

Senri >>>>>>>>>>>>> Ayako

CyberCubed
1st October 2006, 5:31 AM
Wow, Alfonso is going to grill you when he sees that. Be careful. ;)

BattleFranky~40
1st October 2006, 5:32 AM
Am I the only one who like's Ms. Hikari?

Her hair is alot like mine, oddly enough.

I like her. Lolipop shaped women intrigue me.

Cobalt_Latios
1st October 2006, 7:41 AM
I managed to find this episode on YouTube(not really, ive subscribed to the guy who uploaded this episode). My first comment: why is it that every time a new trainer gets the main role, they always wake up late. Im not entirely sure about May, so someone should correct me. Also, is it just me or are the contest judges immortal. You see a picture of Hikari's mother and the judges, and the judges look exactly the same as if time has not affected them at all.
Also, this episode somewhat reminds me of that of Ash's first day, the few differences being a)it's a girl, and b)she's a coordinator instead of a trainer(in her short dream sequences, the pokeball looks odd. the hatch thing looks way to small. The animators really had a blank mind on that, lol). When she pulls the suitcase out of the door, how the hell is she supposed to carry that? Her bike is way too small for something of that size.(on a personnal note, i do not know why, but Hikari strangely resembles my sister, personnality wise.) LOL, her mother then shows her a backpack, roughly 1/4 the size of. At least that explains how she's gonna carry everything.

LOL again, she gets to the town enters a restaurant thinking it's the lab. Her postcard apparently isnt serving much use. She's worse than Brock at reading maps!(which made me think, remember how Misty scolded Brock everytime they got lost, now Brock has someone else to blame if they get lost).

Wow, Hikozaru is sure one pain in the... well... you know where. Funny, after that whole incident, you'd think Hikari would take Naetoru since it's the only one left. Of course, you have to give her a choice otherwise it wouldnt be following the game now would it. Lol, the professor doesnt change facial expressions.
That scene where Hikari is looking around for the other 2 pokemon reminds me of a scene from a fairy tale, y'know with rabbits and birds and rodents?

Just wondering, what attack was Ariados using? I keep thinking Sludge Bomb.

After seeing how Pocchama is behaving with Hikari, i am now officially convinced that Hikari is truly a female version of Ash with a different dream.

God, that scene with P and H's facial expression right after they see the Ariados is priceless!

Also, was Pocchama using Protect?

That's it here's the best way to describe this episode: Imagine Ash's first day. Replace Ash with Hikari, Pikachu with Pocchama and Spearow with Ariados. And funny thing is, I didnt realise this till after Pocchama used that attack.
(Oh god, she got a pink pokedex, just like the Pink DS Lite)

Finally, which of the three legendaries did Hikari and Pocchama see?

OH PLEASE JUST, OH PLEASE. Why in god's name did Team Rocket have to copy what they did in Hoenn. Well, the only difference this time is that it's a lot shorter. But why.
WHERE IN GOD'S NAME DID TEAM ROCKET GET THEIR MEOWTH BALLON?!?!?!
Also, why did Meowth suddenly start fury swipping Wobbuffet for no apparent reason(yeah i know they said it, but unfortunately i dont speak japanese). God, and they just got Pikachu. Something always screws up.

~C_L~

NES
1st October 2006, 8:58 AM
Besides comment the looks of Hikari, i would like to talk about the episode :P, i think it was good,i liked the Ariados part mostly, and the stuborn penguin.Other good part is where Hikari is completely lost in town, fun.

Hikari's voice is good (not drilling in my head like most Japanese voice thing, so it's fine), and her mother looks so.... weird, well whatever.

Overall it was fun.

S_P
1st October 2006, 9:20 AM
why is it that every time a new trainer gets the main role, they always wake up late. Im not entirely sure about May, so someone should correct me. Also, is it just me or are the contest judges immortal. You see a picture of Hikari's mother and the judges, and the judges look exactly the same as if time has not affected them at all.
Also, this episode somewhat reminds me of that of Ash's first day, the few differences being a)it's a girl, and b)she's a coordinator instead of a trainer(in her short dream sequences, the pokeball looks odd. the hatch thing looks way to small.

Just wondering, what attack was Ariados using? I keep thinking Sludge Bomb.

After seeing how Pocchama is behaving with Hikari, i am now officially convinced that Hikari is truly a female version of Ash with a different dream.

God, that scene with P and H's facial expression right after they see the Ariados is priceless!

Also, was Pocchama using Protect?

~C_L~

-Hikari was in no condition to be late. Actually, she was the first to receive a pokemon out of that set. ... Also Hikari actually woke up normally. Usually when a character is late to an appointment, he or she runs at top speed frantically in some way or another.

-Judges could be factored by mass relatives and another generation. If they didn't look like they aged, neither did the mother.

-You have to be a trainer to be a coordinator. Wanting to be a coordinator and being a coordinator are different. Until coordinating is established, she's a trainer. She even says she's a pokemon trainer.

-Ariados kept using Sludge Bomb. What else could that have been? It doesn't even learn Sludge if I recall correctly.

-The behaviour between Hikari and Pochama is not analogous to Satoshi and Pikachu when they first met. Pikachu was completely disobediant.

-Mamoru doesn't reflect damage (despite being an excellent if not perfect defense to Volt Tackle). It's Bide.

I personally had no problems with the mother or how her design was, or whatever. Looks closer to the GSC mother, haha (compared to Hanako or Mitsuko, that would seem marginally true). However, I must admit that I never expected the mother until I had seen that screen where Hikari waves back after getting on the bike prior to the airing.

Tapatio
1st October 2006, 10:08 AM
About the episode:

Hikari's Mom, Ayako - It seems to be a good character, but I really don't like her character design, not by the hair, she just looks like the Popeye's Olivia.

Hikari's Package - Silly girl, really you thought that you could take that big suitcase in your bike. And what with your luggage? That was lingerie? Good moment ^^.

Hikari's Orientation - To enter a place with the eyes closed and to demand something is not a good idea. The expressions of Hikari when she didn't find the correct way was the best thing of the episode along with Naetle.

Pocchama - Little penguin, I hope you never evolve.

Naetle - If the Satoshi's Naetle has a personality like the one of this one, I will be happy.

The Ariados Issue - It was good to see again a pokemon being aggressive with the humans. I also become surprised by the agility of Hikari. I imagine that she has lost herse;f so many times that her legs have become strong by the walks.

Satoshi's Arrival - I liked to see Satoshi at least a little at the end of the episode. Also with this they solved the doubt about happened with the Aipom's pokeball.

Team Rocket Routine - The scene was a little dumb but I liked when Meowth scratched Wobuffet... I like when they hurt to Wobuffet.

Torkoal Stu
1st October 2006, 10:43 AM
I just thank the lord it wasn't Beedrill, yay Aridos.

Pocchama is so godly cute @_@

And i'm glad how Hikari pushed Ash out of centre stage in this episode, it was, refreshing I guess.

Ashu Quester
1st October 2006, 1:05 PM
I won't say this was a revolutionary episode, because you can draw quite a few parallels between Hikari and Haruka's debut (to put it gently), but it was refreshing to see an episode dedicated almost completely to Hikari. In sharp contrast with Haruka, Hikari was eager to begin her journey with Pokémon, rather than considering them a burden. She's also more competent in working with Pokémon, while still inexperienced. They're similar characters, but the differences are great enough to hold my interest.

The best part of the episode was Hikozaru's antics and Pocchama's response to them, as well as the appearance of Mukkuhawk!

SudovVoOdO
1st October 2006, 1:44 PM
Where does hikari see emuritto? When pochama is being hit by spider webs? I see something purple but is that a pokémon? Does someone have a clearer picture?;466;

Ashu Quester
1st October 2006, 2:07 PM
Emuritto Apparition (http://img253.imageshack.us/my.php?image=emurittoapparitionps8.jpg)

It appears as an insubstantial apparition over the lake after the Ariados attack.

ghost master
1st October 2006, 3:30 PM
-Ariados kept using Sludge Bomb. What else could that have been? It doesn't even learn Sludge if I recall correctly. The only other thing I think it could be is acid. Since everytime it hit the ground fire came up.

Geodude
1st October 2006, 9:54 PM
My first comment: why is it that every time a new trainer gets the main role, they always wake up late.
Hikari didn't wake up late, she was late because she got lost/read the map wrong.

Satoshi
1st October 2006, 11:46 PM
A little late for reviewing the episode, but meh.

I really loved this episode. Maybe because I began to love Hikari's personality just as she began to show it (and from what I seen, not a Haruka clone). It was funny how she entered the restaurant thinking it was Nanakomado-hakase's laboratory and kept on getting lost in the city (along with her cute facial expressions). I absolutely cracked up at how Naetle was EATING while Pocchama and Hikozaru were causing chaos in the lab (the aids' facial expressions (http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/1863/vlcsnap47783sf2.png) of when the proffessor entered were priceless :D). What I loved best was that the episode (the first episode of Dimond and Pearl) focused more on Hikari than Satoshi, it was refreshing. Of course, he appeared at the end with Rocket Gang trying to steal Pikachu.

(And on the note of why the judges in the photo didn't have an age difference appearence-wise, it's because Hikari's mom won the Grand Festival (http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/6463/vlcsnap50753nk4.png)as an adult)

Also, I didn't think Hikari and Pocchama's relationship was that similar to Satoshi and Pikachu's relationship at the beginning (partly because Pocchama wasn't that disobedient as Pikachu in the beginning. That, and Satoshi and Pikachu don't get into many...fist fights). And oh my...a Densetsu no Pokemon (http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/9454/vlcsnap129018zu1.png) sighting at the end (I know that made this episode seem similar to the first episode of Pocket Monsters, but in my opinion, it was fitting). :0 ....Did I also mention that the split (http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/310/vlcsnap56707sx7.png) screen (http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/7565/vlcsnap56803ye9.png) is (http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/2014/vlcsnap56877zh4.png) friggin (http://img436.imageshack.us/img436/615/vlcsnap56921vt3.png) smexy (http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6346/vlcsnap57060ux9.png) at the end. XD

Along with the other two episodes, I love how Dimond and Pearl is turning out.

EDIT: Is it just me, or does Hikari say daijoubu (all right) a little too much? XD

Pokemon Fan
2nd October 2006, 12:10 AM
EDIT: Is it just me, or does Hikari say daijoubu (all right) a little too much? XD
Perhaps it is going to be her catchphrase like May's "kamo"?

Satoshi
2nd October 2006, 12:17 AM
Perhaps it is going to be her catchphrase like May's "kamo"?
Maybe. Difference is, Haruka's "kamo" was a sentence ending particle while daijoubu is an actual word.

PerappuPal
2nd October 2006, 12:37 AM
i found the whole ep:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=innQ_W4-2RM<-part1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM0S4Hhvivw<-part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-T2UMmLG-8 <- part 3

Icicle
2nd October 2006, 12:43 AM
Now I saw the episode.. and read the little summary. So hopefully I got what was going on. Damn for me not knowing Japanese. I for one love Hikari and am joining the "OMGSHE'SSOCUTE!" bandwagon. I think she's a great character so far.

For everyone going "Super contests are just like Hoenn's! Except you dress up!!". All you saw was dream sequences, wait until she actually does a contest first. Then say that. O.o;

I love Pochama.. it's so cute. And has such a cute little bratty personality. I love it. It definetly shows some room to grow and get stronger, which I hope it does.

I also didn't mind seeing Ash at the end.. but.. they should have just cut him out of the episode, he wasn't on all that long =/. Maybe it was just too keep current fanboys/girls into the show by showing everyone's favorite trainer? :\

I think I covered everything O.o;

Satoshi
2nd October 2006, 12:51 AM
i found the whole ep:[illegal crap]<-part1[illegal crap]<-part 2 [illegal crap] <- part 3
Gosh, you people love to ignore the rules, don't you?

S_P
2nd October 2006, 1:16 AM
Maybe. Difference is, Haruka's "kamo" was a sentence ending particle while daijoubu is an actual word.

Also the -kamo was done not necessarily under a context that maybe would fall under (ex: Sugoi-kamo!)

However, regardless of how many daijoubu's there were, the ones I recall (only about two right now) were under proper context. One was after sliding down the hill saying that the coast is clear (or something like we should be fine here, or nothing to worry about here ... or something like that). Also when they were trying to run away from the second round of Ariados was another scenario where Hikari definitely said "I'm fine". And then I'm sure there's another that implied "are you okay?" I'm also sure there was another that meant don't worry somewhere in the episode.

Judging by Hikari's high energy being prone to being frantic (or exerting a lot of energy by surprise/shock/wonder/panic), as well as her assertion that she's so confident in a plan (rerouting, detours, etc), all the daijoubu's seem to make sense. I mean it does range from 'are you okay' to 'don't worry' to 'I'm fine' ... and I'm not sure what else.

I think she might have said gomen more often (about thrice).

I thought Ayako's achievements were all done in her younger days. You win the GF, then you settle down ... not settle down then win the GF. With that many trophies it also seemed like successive victories.

I never thought about Ariados using Acid. Despite explosions, the 'first' acid produced 'something' on the ground (or it might just be shade). Technically Sludge Bomb was presented as multiple pieces of sludge consecutively, but I'm thinking of the Jouto version. I guess it's easy to think Sludge Bomb because it's a 'bomb' and 'bombs explode'.

Are you sure Hikari was late to the laboratory? I guess she was late to the intended time, but I consider arriving with the professor not necessarily late (unless when she bumped into him, he was leaving, but that doesn't sound right due to going in the same direction).

Too bad Hikari didn't have idiosyncratic speech. XD I wanted some kind of speech format (obviously not -kamo or that just ends up as sheer biting.)

At least the inexperience makes sense. How can you be experienced as a rookie? This isn't even like a rookie analogy of a professional league since that most likely contains prior experience from amateur leagues. Starting from zero has to be inexperience. So I don't have any problem with that flaw of hers (as she's also the most "prepared" beginning trainer). I would think she has a clear execution flaw, but that's not true in terms of deriving set plans.

The suitcase showed basically everything she would have carried, but after her mom switched it to that little yellow bag ... I have no idea what's even in the bag. (Obviously the pokeballs and zukan are there and all, but that's AFTER receiving those items. What was in the bag initially? ... aside from the pokemon food, nothing comes out of the top of my head.)

Medea
2nd October 2006, 2:49 AM
Okay, okay...Not a bad episode if I do say so myself. Hikari is such a cuttie and I can't wait to start seeing her in contests in the future. Nextly, it was a little weird with this episode and by this I mean it felt a lot like the 1st episode of Kanto (but it was refreshing to have it be a swarm of Ariados and not Beedrill or Spearow) and it also felt like the the first episode of Johto (well at one point at the end) and the relationship between Hikari and Pochama reminded me of the first episode of Hoenn (meaning when May wanted Mudkip to do a water gun attack...or at least it did to me).

Well tis' all...Oh and of course...

*spazspazspaz*...OMG! 1 SECOND OF TRACEY...*spazspazspaz*

Darkness Angel
2nd October 2006, 3:38 AM
wasn't that bad of an eppy.

Bliksem
2nd October 2006, 8:20 AM
Hey, what was up with that Naetle? He seemed kinda... startled when the Professor looked at him. What happened?

Magical Needle Smash
3rd October 2006, 10:46 AM
Bliksem-- I think it was just intimidated by the professor's gaze. He has kind of a gruff, overwhelming aura about him, but he's surprisingly nice, according to Hikari (after he showed her the way to the lab).

Also, why did Meowth suddenly start fury swipping Wobbuffet for no apparent reason

He wanted to go back to the boss, but, from what I remember, Musashi wanted to stay and look around Shinou because they'd never been there before. They argued until he went to attack, and she asked Wobbuffet to "Take care of this, please."

pokeboy sarab
3rd October 2006, 10:57 AM
well thepisode pics were good and the guide was nice and i like the ending the best. overall a nice start to the new season

FullMasta
4th October 2006, 12:20 AM
This episode had some of the best animation a Pocket Monsters episode has recieved in a long time. I guess the animators have gotten over their lazy phase.

SOS! Its Not Healthy..
4th October 2006, 6:27 AM
Late as usual, but OMG Hikari is so adorable. I always thought for some reason before she even mentioned that they'll have a trainer who loves to dress and ta da we got one.

I really liked how the writer went on a different direction with Hikari, at least she gets a full episode to herself and get to know her. The background music had a really nice touch to it. But of course there were the similarites that happened in the past beginning region episodes, but it was different how it was played.

Poochamo is so darn cute, I loved its attitude around "Curious George" (meaning the fire monkey) how it getting all petty about food, and it shows lots of personality. (NOw wonder if the writers do with ASh's and Brock's Pokemon) My favorite part of the episode was when the Pokemon escape.

And of course Ash and Team Rocket get a little screentime at the end when Pikachu is stolen, but I can't complain. I can't wait what the writers have in store with Hikari.

A side note, if anyone seen the episode yet, did anyone catch on how it says "Hikari Project" at the end of the credits. Sorry its on episode 3, but I'm just curious if anyone else caught on it. This really proves they are going a different direction with the series.

Goukazaru_Rox
4th October 2006, 9:33 PM
hi weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Juputoru
6th October 2006, 4:15 AM
Damn this took me long enough. DX

-This ep lets us know it's DIFFERENT right off the bat by showing a bunch of Mukkuru in flight against a background of a CGI-looking cliff giving way to an ocean view with the obligatory mountainous background. In said ocean is a Magikarp and a Mantine(and by extension a Remoraid), on the land we see two Bippaevo(whatever it's techinically called) and a Subomi, and then...we see where the humans reside.
-SHINY NEW LOGO. Well, the part that doesn't say "Poketto Monsutaa" anyway.
-The camera swivels its view to show a house. An alarm beeps. The scene shifts to a grey cat with a loopy tail laying on a heater as cats are apt to do. Pan of a room with several trophies in it. MUKKURUCLOCK. Finally, we see a tangiable sign that people are here...a hand. With a pink garment on what little arm is showing. Zoom out, and...it's a girl. But it's not Misty or May or Marina or Mary Sue, yes it's a brand new girl...one with dark blue hair, who defies the calling of her alarm by going under her bedsheets so she doesn't see the sun, which is also signaling that Girl needs to get her lazy *** out of bed.
-The narrator narrates about things WE know already but the 5 people who are just getting into Pokemon for the first time with this ep don't, and...
-Girl makes a happy gaps, which...sounds different from May's gasps, anyway.
-Yes, she's in a generic small town with all houses and not a single business in sight, thus continuing the paradox of how this places exist(commuting?). Then the narrator kindly gives us a better name for Girl than Girl...Hikari.
-Shiny new title screen. Juputoru approved! :D Oh, and Hikari speaks for the first time(hopefully not for the first time in her life!)...decent voice, but then again it's hard to judge voices from a language you don't know well very accurately. And yes, she's discernably different from May in her vocal tone.
-Hikari's primping herself for the day ahead when her mom comes knocking on her door. The door opens and GOOD LORD! The mother looks good, aside from one fatal flaw:Hair. Yes, her hair is a monstrosity to us all, being like a hair-gelled afro sculpted into a near-perfect circle. But looking aside from The Hair for a moment, note that Hikari and her mother are wearing slippers like all good Japanese people do when they go into their houses, or so generic stereotypes(redundancy?) claim.
-Hikari greets the cat(AFTER greeting her mom), but the cat doesn't care about her...it cares about the warm bed she left behind! Ah, accurate portrayals of felines. Gotta love 'em.
-Hikarimutter has prepared a breakfast of a green blob, a red blob, a yellow circle, and some vaugely sandwhich-like objects for them, along with some coffee...wait a damn minute, Hikari's TEN. TOO DAMN YOUNG FOR COFFEE DAMMIT.
-Hikarimutter and Hikari talk about Hikari going to the lab to get her first Pokemon(although Hikari hasn't decided which one yet), and the conversation leads itself to mentions of Hikarimutter's accomplishements - top coordinator, and they mentioned something about a breeder. Well, what Pokemon Breeders and Coordinators do IS rather similar(aside from Breeders assumedly not having any flashy shows of skill), so I suppose it makes sense...
-Fantasy sequence time!
-Hikari's in an UGLY DRESS, and sends out Hikozaru to do a contest appeal(the monkey doesn't sound too bad...yet?), which involves what appears to be a Flame Wheel of sorts that lets Hikozaru defy gravity(good to see that old traditions are still here). Not the most impressive thing but hey. And eh, Monkey Thing's voice is decent.
-Apparently Hikari was daydreaming while her real self was talking and moving to the dream. Hikarimutter sweatdrops and says something about her food.
-Time for the fantasy with Pocchama, and...this time Hikari's outfit is MUCH better. Still a dress, but far less ugly. And...Pocchama sounds adorable but if its tone is always like that it could get hella annoying...the appeal is a generic Bubblebeam Thing.
-Repeat of last Hikarimutter reaction, still trying to get Hikari to eat her breakfast. And it appears that the Green Blob food is some sort of lettuce.
-Hikari continues to ignore food in favor of Contest daydreams, and it's Naetle's turn. Hikari's wardrobe this time is a tux(wait, so the purple tuxedo DOESN'T go with the blue penguin, and the green dress doesn't go with the green and brown turtle?), and...DEAR LORD NAETLE'S VOICE! XD It's a riot! ahem...anyway, Razor Leaf is the appeal and that's that.
-And now Hikari decides to either eat her breakfast or go get her Pokemon. Don't ask ME which one it is.
-Hikari's about to set off, but her mom notices the LARGE PINK SUITCASE she's rolling along with her, and...holy crap, lookit all them clothes and rings and bottley things! Hikarimutter has more sense than to let her daughter go on a journey with all THAT, so she prepares a much smaller yellow backpack of stuff, which disappoints Hikari but I'm sure she'll secretly thank her mom later when she sees how much walking/biking she'll be doing. ...how WAS she going to travel with a giant suitcase anyway?
-Hikarimutter also gives her offspring the very first ribbon she won(which is now dirty...doesn't she ever CLEAN those things?). There's SO going to be an ep where Hikari loses that/finds it stolen from her.
-Hikari sets off, map in hand, but bumps into a small rock which sends her bike wobbling along for a bit. Hmm.
-...a ROUTE SIGN. And it's in an ACTUAL LANGUAGE. Gasp!
-Hikari finds the lab and enters it, but...it's a restraunt. Oops.
-Hikari can't find the lab. Damn she sucks at maps. XD ...oh, and the facial expressions here are made of win and giant candy bars.
-Hikari keeps trying to find the lab(...wouldn't it be easier to ASK SOMEONE? >> I'd imagine most of the townspeople know where the lab is), but bumps into an old man in a suit. ASK HIM WHERE THE LAB IS, HIKARI. >:
-Oh hey he's the professor imagine that. And his voice rocks. But he seriously needs to change facial expressions.
-At the lab(it has a windmill. Is that a required power source for Pokemon labs or what?) the DP starters are eating their PokemonKibble while some aids cart in a Mukkuru and a Mukuhawk(gotta showcase those Pokemon!) and the other aids comment on them, and...MUKKRURU IS MADE OUT OF CUTENESS AND CINNAMON ROLLS.
-Hikozaru finshed what was in its bowl, but...it has the gall to steal the last five or so kibble from Pocchama! Pocchama starts beeyotching at it, but Hikozaru simply does the Eyelid-And-Buttshake Manuveur, which only serves to make things worse. Pocchama fires off a Bubblebeam which makes an explosion(TRADITION.), as it does a dance that's oddly Totodile-like aside from the fact that while Totodile did its dance out of its joy for EVERYTHING, Pocchama's doing it because it's ****** off.
-Naetle keeps eating.
-More BubbleBeamSplosions are fired at Hikozaru, which jumps on NAetles shell and then to the tray where the Mukkus are.
-Naetle keeps eating.
-A BBS hits the Mukkus which sends THEM flying around the room.
-Naetle keeps eating.
-Mukkuhawk whips up quite the wind which blows everything the size of a book or smaller flying...and knocks over a plant...and a trash can...and a stool...and breaks a window...which The Hawk, the Kuru, the Monkey, and the Penguin use to make their escapes.
-Naetle keeps eating.
-The aides go to get the Pokemon back before the Professor and New Traienr arrive, but...oh look, they came right as the aides were running out.
-Hey, I just noticed there's a woman in there. Yay gender equality!
-Naetle keeps eating.
-The Blue Haired Aide explains what happen, but points out that Naetle's still there.
-Naetle stops eating.
-Nanakamodo displays his ability to scare small turtles with just a glance and a "hm."
-Hikari says something about the starters and NAnakamodo goes into a minispeech while an instrumental of Hikari's Theme plays in the background. Damn that music be spiffy.
-The new eyecatchers are spiffy as well. And Hikari's the only one in them...FOR NOW.
-Hikari finds Hikozaru and Pocchama within a second of each other, but...Pocchama's still angry at the monkey! When Hikari tries to calm it, she gets nary but an Exploding Bubblebeam as a reply.
-The Pokemon run off, and Hikari gives chase.
-Hikari hears Pocchama, and it's stuck in a web, along with...with...WITH...
-DUNSPARCE.
-And some other things but nobody cares about them.
-Right then an Ariados uses an Exploding Brown Liquid attack as some DP battle music plays in the background.
-Hikari cleverly positions herself so that the EBL tears apart the web, which frees Pocchama, which is of course prevented from falling on the ground by Hikari. Pengu's not amused that it had to be freed via explosion, but Hikari apologizes.
-After a brief slide down a "cliff", Hikari tries to be friendly towards Pengu, but...it hates her guts! ...how can Cybercubed see this thing as being anything like Torchic aside from it being avian, again?
-But even with all its angry POCCHA POCCHA POCCHA's, even Pengu gets hungry, causing Hikari to make an "uh-huh, I see. *smug*" face and putting Pengu into denial. Hikari just so happens to have Pokekibble, but...Pengu don't want it! It even sticks its tongue out at Hikari(god I love this penguin XD). And...ZOMG ARIADOS!
-...THE EXPRESSIONS IN THIS EP ARE MADE OUT OF WIN, LOVE, AND MUFFINS.
-Ohshit, there's a LOT of Ariados! And they (indirectly) trap Hikari and Pengu with their webs.
-Hikari forms a plan based on the (oddly true) fact that Ariados are weird enough to eat food you throw at them while they're busy trying to kill you.
-Pocchama does its part by exploding part of the web with Bubblebeam, but...one of The Spiders' stringshots gets Hikari around the ankle. Well, crap.
-Pocchama's like "GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE >(" and Hikari's like "I CAN'T SO *YOU* GET OUT OF HERE" and then the Ariados are like "*sludge bomb* and *poison sting* at Hikari".
-Pocchama strikes a pose and......AWESOMEINCREDIBLEGREAT BACKGROUND MUSIC STARTS. ...well, it sounded really cool when it was starting but it's just Hikari's theme again, I think.
-Pocchama has a lot of endurance for a little penguin thing, as it holds out against all those Ariados attacks.
-...wait, was that BIDE? 8O!
-Hikari's duly impressed by this.
-Later on at Shinji(seriously, it's called that) lake, Pocchama's still hungry so Hikari gives it the remaining three pieces of Pokekibble she has. When she looks up, it turns out that The Hawk has caught Hikozaru(which looks appropriately mortified), so it's obviously time to head back(unless Naetle escaped in the meanwhile, once it was done eating)...hey look at that a random wind and stuff happening on the lake. Something's making a noise! Pocchama and Hikari are startled! People throw vegetables at me for overusing exclaimation points! Then the form of one of the DP legend trio(the one with the little things not the monsterious time and space warping things) appears translucently almost as quickly as it vanishes.
-Back at the lab, Hikari gets a pink!Pokedex and some notpink!Pokeballs, courtesy of Nanakamodo and the green-haired lab aide whose hair color really needs to be more prevailent.
-It's time for Hikari's choice. The Pokemon go with little (obviously pre-rehearsed) actions(Naetle's is a simple yawn!), and Hikari picks...
-NAETLE!
-No, she actually gets Pocchama. Were you actually dense enough to think she'd pick the turtle at this point? Well, Hikozaru was dense enough to think she'd pick IT, so hey who knows...
-Well, the ep's over, Hikari's bike is still intact somehow, undoubtedly because we haven't seen Ash ye...
-Wait, there he is, on that boat from before...in the same place and position we last saw him in...Ash says some generic "I'LL DO MY BEST IN THIS REGION!" crap, and...TR pops up from the stairwell area!
-Ash talks to Oak on the picturephone, and Oak doesn't seem too shocked as to where Aipom went(is the monkey THAT predictable?), and as Ash wraps up the converstation, TR's balloon looms above(how'd they sneak THAT on the boat...especially since they were clinging to the side of the boat last ep...), and James aims a grabbing deivce at Pikachu, which grabs the Chu, causing Ash to run away from the phone and Oak to almost mash his face into the screen as he wonders what's going on. Pikachu shocks its containment device for good measure, but it doesn't work. TR makes with what sounds like a motto but doesn't get the whole schtick of one as Ash gives chase.
-Up in the balloon, Jessie and Meowth get into an arguement culmunating in Meowth trying to scratch up Jessie, who simply uses Wobby as a shield...whose Counter attack BLOWS UP THE BALLOON. I shouldn't be surprised at what can cause explosions by now, but DAMN...
-TR blasts off while Pikachu lands in a random area of forest. Uh-oh.
-...OMG OAK'S LECTURE? O_O ...wait, this seems to be some random questions about the next ep? O_o ...a preview I guess? ...THERE IS AN OAK LECTURE! 8D
-The lecture of the day is about the Shinou starters. Well, duh. Sadly, Oak doesn't get attacked by ANYTHING. D: Blasphemy, I say. We do get a haiku, though.

S_P
9th October 2006, 4:31 AM
That was an entertaining summary to read. XD

Come to think of it, if Hikari did pick Naetle, that would have been great for a plot twist and humour (except it would be too awkward, even if the concept could be monkey you cause too much trouble and penguin you lose your temper too fast and cause lots of destruction but saved my life so yeah.)

I did wonder if the professor scare was either implying "why didn't you escape with them?" or "why are you taking so long to eat?" Well, we know this professor doesn't react in great energy to a destroyed laboratory room and escaped pokemon (as opposed to Ookido-hakase, who would put a great deal of emphasis like Nanakomodo's aides).

Wait, where was the evidence that Hikari's mother was named Ayako? I forgot where that was derived from, because I don't recall hearing her name in the episode, but it seemed like there was already an official name.

This also makes me wonder what the heck would happen if Pochama did actually listen to Hikari, ran out of the spider web, and left her with her leg trapped by that web. O_o

Yes! Pochama going against pure listening has an advantage! (Then again virtually all pokemon presented like that would have gotten in the way of the attack using some defensive attack or just blocking it or taking the hits since that is simply the nature of it to do so.)

And yeah, I didn't think about the balloon transporting thing either o_O Of course, Rocket Gang have large amounts of hammerspace and essentially infinite number of ballons. Like you said, tradition (except the ballon was a little less conventional than things like explosion exaggerations)

legendmaster1202
10th October 2006, 6:44 PM
I didn't mind Hikari being the new female character. I just was concerned about if she was taking over the main character role.

GoGoPokemom
12th October 2006, 11:51 AM
So Brock still carried his Marshstomp to Shinou and Ash will get another Grass Starter ( that Snapping Turtle and Ankylosaur hybrid ) again , am I right ?

TeddiUrsa
12th October 2006, 1:46 PM
So Brock still carried his Marshstomp to Shinou and Ash will get another Grass Starter ( that Snapping Turtle and Ankylosaur hybrid ) again , am I right ?

No. 1 is wrong, Brock has only bonsly with him

No. 2 is right.

*Badabing*

GoGoPokemom
12th October 2006, 6:33 PM
Damn , it would be great if he carried Marshstomp into shinou . Cause I think his marshstomp gonna evolve into Swampert sooner or later ...

His Pokemon at the Gym :

Steelix
Golem
Geodude
Ludicolo
Crobat
Marshstomp

As you can see , majority of his pokemon is ground type .

Anyway , I guess his bro will help to train his Marshstomp , just like what he did with Onix which turn into Steelix .

It was pretty sucky that the fire monkey pokemon was given to a rival .

thunder pichu
12th October 2006, 11:10 PM
that blue hair girl is nice if ash beat her in an pokemon battle that will be fun the blue hair mom i cute i say if brock fell in love with her that will be nice welll until next time see ya

JONNO.FRESH
17th October 2006, 12:32 PM
It was good to have an epi without Ash. The starters where kool. Hiko was awesome,Pocha was cute but Naetoru was abit plain. Oh well cant have everything

Rizadon
17th October 2006, 5:15 PM
you've probaly seen the theme pics, but have you seen the video for it?
This may be a tad off-topic but it has something to do with D&P ANIME!....
~~~~~~just click the link and stop thinking bad things about me~~~~~~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIMs8fowVgc

Darkness Angel
21st October 2006, 8:11 AM
never knew that Hikari saw Emuritto until just now.

CoolTrainerTerry
26th October 2006, 7:26 PM
Well, for a beginning episode, it wasn't bad.

Pochama is seriously going to be super awesome.

This episode actually made me laugh, especially Naetoru.

Hikari is better than May IMO.

Her mom's creepy afro hairdo...thing was...different.

The Prof. creeps me out for some reason.

Emuritto!!

And last but not least...DUNSPARCE.

auzzie latios
5th November 2006, 6:03 AM
the ep wasn't too bad but 1st one of the season is kinda crap in my opinion

squirtleboy12
11th December 2006, 1:09 PM
the first episode of new season yay!!!i like it

10/10

Mythic Mist
4th January 2007, 11:20 PM
My oh my. This episode seemed much more interesting when I could finally understand it, thanks to the subs ;)

TogeticTheRuler
14th January 2007, 9:29 PM
Now I finally realise how much better the original is soo much better than the dub, I liked Ash`s voice, but hated Oaks and Meowths, this episode was funny with Hikari being lost and that incident in the lab, I watched this on youtube :D

ekulemmer34
21st January 2007, 4:33 PM
I have found the english name for this episode: Turning over a New Twinleaf

Geodude
21st January 2007, 4:35 PM
Been there, done that. Source please? If not I'll assume you're lying.

Korobooshi Kojiro
21st January 2007, 4:36 PM
I doubt that.

~*Mudkip Fantastic*~
21st January 2007, 5:37 PM
Even though it is the sort of name PUSA would chuck out, without a source it is safe to assume that you are lying

Uchiha Madara
5th March 2007, 1:04 PM
Argh, the English one is coming in Summer. I DON'T WANT TO WAIT.

Yamato-san
15th March 2007, 9:16 PM
LOL. I did think the Ariados in this episode was pretty random.

I wonder what Yamato-San will have to say when he sees this...

sorry for the late reply... yeah, it does seem like the writers have seriously got something against Ariados. However, I'm not all THAT peeved about it. It particularly irritated me with Harley because he was shown to be a pretty decent coordinator (and he's meant to be Haruka's RIVAL, not a comic relief villian that always loses, as he had already done two times in a row previously), Haruka was only at her first contest in the region (a win that's very easily expendible), and her piece of crap turtle still didn't seem like a very competent fighter, even when it suddenly pulled that Ice Beam out of its *** (hell, if anything, I was expecting that to be the only thing it'd get out of the two-parter, not that AND a win -_-).

In this situation, however, we're dealing with wild Ariados, and Pochama isn't a god damn crybaby suddenly turned competent. He's clearly had an attitude right from the start. The attacked used to beat them wasn't terribly unrealistic, neither (though, how he could endure that long for Bide to work is beyond me... but then, he is stubborn). And while Harley's Ariados seriously got the shaft (a very humiliating defeat, falling behind Haruka's Zenigame a second time when it appealed, not to mention that Fire Spin incident), and the guys were pretty much used as nothing but fodder in this situation, I think Pokemon Hunter J's Ariados greatly makes up for it in a later episode (episodes, hopefully).

Inkan1969
24th March 2007, 12:31 AM
I have found the english name for this episode: Turning over a New Twinleaf

Actually, according to theCartoon Network Website (http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/pokemon/index.html) the new title is "Following a Maiden's Voyage".

So now we know that Dawn is a maiden...;)

Missingno2
2nd April 2007, 11:51 AM
Well, if Hikari has the good luck ribbon, and her mom gets worried about her when Hikari says she is fine, then I'm confused!

Iran
11th April 2007, 7:56 PM
Does any one know when it hits the screen in europe

bubblybubbly-bubba
11th April 2007, 8:42 PM
This is a great episode to introduce the series and Hikari.

Jeff Zero
12th April 2007, 12:33 AM
Actually, according to theCartoon Network Website (http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/pokemon/index.html) the new title is "Following a Maiden's Voyage".

So now we know that Dawn is a maiden...;)

Boy I should hope so, after all she's only 10. ;)

I think this episode mostly focusing on Hikari/Dawn is pretty neat, since we're meeting her for the first time and we've known Ash for 10 years so he needs no introduction, and we really don't need a whole episode of yet another Team Rocket scheme, we'll see plenty of those in the future. I like that she chose the Penguin Pokemon as her starter; I've always loved penguins and would probably choose it myself if I played the game.

Rex Kamex
21st April 2007, 2:27 AM
Well, even though I didn't think this episode was as entertaining as the first one or the first AG one, it was a good one to watch. It was nice to see Dawn have her own episode for her debut.

... But why'd she have to be a coordinator? (Don't after that.)

Korobooshi Kojiro
21st April 2007, 2:28 AM
I actually liked this better then Episode 1...

Cartoonami
21st April 2007, 2:31 AM
Tonight's the night... are we allowed to share our opinions on the episode in this thread?

WaterDragon trainer
21st April 2007, 2:31 AM
This episode was great. The theme song was pretty cool as well as seeing all the new Sinnoh pokemon (obviously too many to name). I thought Dawn had somewhat of a squeaky voice. It was kinda funny to see all the pokemon in the lab fight while Turtwig just sat there and ate. It was cool to see Piplup use Bide. It was also cool to see the first legendary Sinnoh pokemon, Mesprit(?). I thought it was hilarious when Wobbuffet countered against Meowth’s Fury Swipes.

Dax
21st April 2007, 2:37 AM
I hate Piplup's voice but Dawn's is good.

Waiting 2 Evolve
21st April 2007, 2:45 AM
I don't agree about Dawn's voice at all.

TogeticTheRuler
21st April 2007, 2:47 AM
Me neither , its a bit annoying like Max`s, but the most disappointing.. THEY TOOK OUT THE HAPPY MUSIC! T.T I hear mostly battle music in the dub.

Darkness Angel
21st April 2007, 4:30 AM
Thought Dawn's voice was pretty nice.

G4Pokefan
21st April 2007, 4:34 AM
This episode wasn't all that bad. Seein' Dawn being introduced throughout this whole episode is a nice new element 2 this season.

Pros:
-The intro of a lot of new Pokemon. I remember the first episode of Johto Journeys and Advanced only showed the starters and probably one more.
-Dawn seein' one of the three legendary psychic pokemon!

Cons
-Don't really like this season's opening title all that much!

7/10

ShinyManafi
21st April 2007, 5:18 AM
Wow, Dawn-chan had such a great dub voice, which makes me love her even more. :D
The episode was just as good the sub I watched. ;), but still good enough. I'm watching it again when there's a re-run.

Inkan1969
21st April 2007, 7:52 AM
Dawn's Mom is totally hot. Love that BIG hair. :D

Medea
21st April 2007, 12:09 PM
Okay, Dawn's mother's name is Johanna and the emcee for Sinnoh is Marion. At least that's what wonderful Closed Caption said. Yes I watch all of my shows with CC.

-Dawn's voice was pretty cool. Fits her in a way.
-Professor Rowan's voice fits as well.
-Piplup is a cuttie but it will take a while before I get used to saying Piplup since I've been so used to saying Pochema.
-I'll tell her later in her face-off but I thought about taitofan so much when I saw the Ariados. So glad to see that! I get so sick of the "OMG BEEDRILL" chase scene. Good grief. At least that was a different change of pace.
-Sweet baby Jesus there's a wonderful one second scene with my Tracey. And better yet, he didn't have to talk, so I didn't have to hear his new voice that sounds like nails on chalkboard, so I end up punching a whole in the wall next to the one where I punched when I heard it in the first place. *gasps for air*

Yeah, better seen not heard for the moment!

masukippa
21st April 2007, 12:54 PM
I hate living in the UK... is it possible to see this anywhere on the internet?

Dax
21st April 2007, 3:36 PM
Maybe you can check in Youtube or for an upload.

chosen_one386
21st April 2007, 5:28 PM
This was a great episode! The only complaint I had was that at first I didn't like Dawn's voice. But, as the episode progressed, I realized it fit her.

pochama_blue
22nd April 2007, 12:23 PM
Just seen the episode on Youtube
At first Dawn's voice sounded odd but then i grew to like it
Professor Rowan's voice was very weird
Dawns moms was ok but didn't really fit her
and Piplup's voice was cute but made it sound like a little girl which i didnt like cuz i think Piplup should be more loud and annoying

Crask
22nd April 2007, 1:58 PM
My favourite quote by Dawn: "I am so up!", it makes her sound enthusiastic.

By James: "When it comes to counter, the Wobsters the best!", I think thats what he says.

Snorkle
22nd April 2007, 4:00 PM
I honestly expected Dawn's voice to be more hyper and spaz-tic. But it didn't turn out that way and I'm glad. Her voice is a lot more believable than I thought they'd made it. Funnily enough, I actually like her better after hearing her Dub voice. Go figure.

Can't say the same for Piplup though. Compared to the adorable Pochama, Piplup was hurtful to listen to. There were a FEW places if sounded geniunely cute, but other than that it really was a disappointment. Especially when it uses Bubblebeam it would go "Piiip lup,lup,lup!" which got annoying...

Professor Rowan has a good voice; I like it! I could've sworn that when Dawn first ran into him, he said "Ello" but maybe I'm just going crazy 0_o

Don't see why they had to change Hikozaru's voice, though, since its Jap voice only makes the occasional 'Chi!' sound. Same for Mukuhawk, who's 'Muku, muku' sounded so much like a bird anyway, nobody would've really noticed it.
Dawn's mom sounds too happy...her voice reminds me a bit of the newly-dubbed Joy's voice.

Eh, overall the Episode was okay. It had its pluses and minuses like any episode. Not too shabby for DP 1.

Rapiido
22nd April 2007, 6:54 PM
I liked the ep. I actually like Dawn's dub voice... but I can't figure out whether her voice actor is the actor who did Flannery, or the one who did Molly Hale... or they're the same person...

Jorah
22nd April 2007, 9:43 PM
At first I found Dawn's voice annoying, but now I like it. This was a better episode than the first ep for AG anyway.

WaterKrystal
22nd April 2007, 10:12 PM
This was a really good episode, and funny.
My thoughts

-The song isn't really my favorite, but it's ok.
- Dawn's voice, when I first heard it, I thought it was kinda annoying, but as the show went on, I got to liking it and it sounds like it fits her.
- Piplup is cool, I like it's attitude, especially with Dawn.
- Professor Rowan is interesting, he seemed to scare poor Turtwig, lol.
- Oak was funny putting his face in the screen wanting to know what was going on when Ash ran.

I really do like it so far, after seeing the first 3 episodes.

Jeff Zero
24th April 2007, 10:13 AM
I liked the ep. I actually like Dawn's dub voice... but I can't figure out whether her voice actor is the actor who did Flannery, or the one who did Molly Hale... or they're the same person...
If you mean the Japanese voice actors, I can't help you, I don't know. But if you mean the dub voices, highly unlikely. Flannery and Molly Hale both appeared during the time 4Kids dubbed the show, and only a same handfull of VAs who worked on the 4kids version work on the PUSA version now. Having seen a clip of the first episode, I do agree that Dawn's dub voice has a strong similarity to one or more of Lisa Ortiz's characters (I'm especially reminded of Sandra, Savannah's daughter), but I find myself pleasantly surprised with Dawn's voice-It's not what I expected, but I think it's cute, and her ability to act and deliver lines is decent.

[Edit] also, new dub opening, not a fan. I notice PUSA just doesn't want to show Team Rocket in thier openings (the Battle Frontier dub opening marks the first time TR didn't appear on the opening in EITHER version of the show). I find it's just not the same if they're not on there.

C.J. Ray
24th April 2007, 6:42 PM
(Serebii Joe, if you know the dates when this episode and the two after it after being aired in June, PM me. I'm trying to avoid rewatching them so I can start my taping right at "Dawn of a New Era.")

My review of this "part"(since I taped the three episodes in the preview:

I liked how CN did what Japan did, airing the three-episode mashup special instead of making us wait until June and airing the edited episodes instead. It really makes taping easier and it did have a "cartoon movie" feel to it.

After burying May and Max's cold lifeless corpses into the dank earth(figuratively, of course!) and mourning for the month between "Start Is Where The Home Is" air time and this, I debated on taping this, but I did.

Dawn is an excellent new female lead, and it's nice the anime introduces us with her own episode, similar to how Team Rocket didn't bust out their debut in the first episode of the entire anime. While the Ariados/Bide thing reminded me of how Pikachu saved Ash from being torn to pieces by those Spearows, it was nice to see Dawn scream in terror realistically - if I were Ash, I would no have made a monologue at the Spearows, I would have cringed and howled, hoping to shield my face from their beaks! :D

I really liked the Chimchar, too. It had an attitude similar to Ash's Corphish at the episode when May's Torchic evolved when it stole Piplup's food. Then it got caught by the Staraptor and got a "oh crap" look. And when Dawn chose Piplup, it tried to impress her and facefaulted. Serves you right, crackmonkey. :rolleyes:

Anyways, it looks like Dawn and Piplup are sort of like Ash and Pikachu - except that Piplup will stay in its ball. I'd like to see Piplup be like Pikachu, riding in Dawn's arms all the time, but since it might evolve, that would be a bit difficult to pull off, so I can see the writer's reasoning.

Rating: 5 out of 5.

wobbanut
29th April 2007, 9:48 PM
I liked the introduction to Dawn, especially the part where she was imagining being in the contests with each one of the Sinnoh starters. I liked how her mother kept trying to convince her to sit down and eat before she left. LOL It's too bad this episode was so short on good quotes, I couldn't find one until Team Rocket and Ash finally showed up (and geez, it took forever for them to show up. Good thing I saw the pictures way back when, or I'd think Ash wasn't even in this episode). But at least Dawn was cute. Also, I loved that Wobbuffet got to do a now-rare counter in this episode too. :)

I liked the Sinnoh starters, though I'm still not very fond of chimchar. I did like the part where it was finally carried back to the lab by staraptor looking sheepish, though I can't remember if that was part one or part two. It's funny how turtwig kept on eating while chimchar and piplup were fighting. It's funny how piplup didn't seem to like Dawn at first, but it grew to like her, kind of like Pikachu with Ash.

Overall, it was a good episode, but I still can't believe it took Ash and Team Rocket almost the entire episode to show up. I know it's not the first time it took Team Rocket forever to show up ("Charmander the Stray Pokemon" and "The Joy of Pokemon" come to mind), but that's definitely a first for Ash.

3/5

Dojorkan
4th May 2007, 3:57 AM
This has to be one of my favorite episodes ever. Pretty much no Ash and Jessie and James.
I'd actually concider watching the anime again if the whole series was Only Dawn and no TR and no Ash.

Dawn as also my favorite human character since Melody from Pokemon 2000. Dawn is adorable.

Dattebayo
4th May 2007, 4:01 AM
I can't believe they showed Dawn's barefeet at the very beginning. They're so beautiful than May's barefeet.

Cobalt_Latios
5th May 2007, 9:51 PM
I am pretty shocked that YTV actually got the episodes. Of course this means we're getting them so I'm quite happy.

Now i watched the episodes from torrents and it seems like CN really screwed it up. The way YTV aired them was nicely smooth and didnt feel strange with all these stops and such. Almost seems like YTV got the better half of the deal(hurrah to the Canadians). What I'm getting at is that in this one, they had the episode titiles, the ending thing with the narrator for each episode, and finally proper ending music with the instrumental of the intro theme.

Cartoon Network seemed to have condensed everything, whilst YTV actually let the episodes breath. At least, that's the impression I got from the downloaded episodes, can someone confirm this?

~C_L~

TotodileCharizard
6th May 2007, 1:07 AM
I thought it was great. Turtwig was a bit intimidated by Professor Rowan was funny, as was the Ariados appearance. I heart Johto Pokemon! Anyway, overall it was pretty good.

Jeff Zero
3rd June 2007, 12:34 AM
I am pretty shocked that YTV actually got the episodes. Of course this means we're getting them so I'm quite happy.

Now i watched the episodes from torrents and it seems like CN really screwed it up. The way YTV aired them was nicely smooth and didnt feel strange with all these stops and such. Almost seems like YTV got the better half of the deal(hurrah to the Canadians). What I'm getting at is that in this one, they had the episode titiles, the ending thing with the narrator for each episode, and finally proper ending music with the instrumental of the intro theme.

Cartoon Network seemed to have condensed everything, whilst YTV actually let the episodes breath. At least, that's the impression I got from the downloaded episodes, can someone confirm this?

~C_L~

As a Canucklehead, I was really happy that YTV showed the three epsiodes (this was during what they called "Pokemon April" where they showed two new episodes followed by a movie on Saturday afternoon, this particular week they replaced the movie with the first three episodes of Diamond/Pearl so in effect they were showing FIVE new episodes that week (new for them, that is). These days they show one, which is what they've been doing most of the time since Season 6.

I watched the three episodes that way, and as near as I can tell, they were not cut for time, though they were formatted as a special (theme song, end credits, title card, ect). Most notable was Paul's introduction. I read on Doguso's comparison that because the CN version cut off the "24"-like end splitscrenes at the end of the episode, US viewers didn't see Paul's teaser appearance at the end of episode 2. However, having watched the episodes on YTV (I still have them on tape so I could go back and look through them at any time to check for any odd differances) Paul did indeed appear at the end as did the split-screening. Keep in mind I YTV had just finished showing, I think it was "Tactics Theatrics" or "On Olden Pond" so they were skipping WAY ahead. I gotta imagine there are some Canadian viewers who havn't been reading up on the show online and so are completely confused. "What happend to May and Max? When Did Ash get an Aipom?!"

Cobalt_Latios
4th June 2007, 7:31 PM
^Although next this coming weekend we get: Queen of the Serpentine. Hoping we get to finish BF soon enough.

Good episode by the way. Too bad I can't find torrents of the Canadian version, I would have liked that...

~C_L~

charizardpal
11th June 2007, 8:03 AM
I also agree that Cartoon Network is comparable to Kids WB. Actually they're cheaper and cut the intro...

Moving on, I'm getting the impression that more people (like the poster before me) are watching subtitled pokemon episodes via torrent than they did during Kids WB. Is this so?

Reign G
11th June 2007, 8:39 AM
Cartoon Network didn't cut the itnro, TAJ Inc. did. Just because CN airs it doesn't mean they edit things. It's TAJ now.

Pearl's Perap
14th June 2007, 12:50 PM
I always love the intro thing that accompanies the movies and what not, so that was a really nice touch, introducing us to Sinnoh, as it were.

This episode was really good in my opinion, it introduced us to quite a lot of people and pokémon and brought back good pokémon from older generations, c'mon, I'm sure EVERYONE was quite happy by the Ariados appearence.

The starters were great, especially when they began to cause uproar with the Starly and Staraptor, which in itself was a nice touch, being shown Staraptor, one of my favourite Sinnoh pokémon, so early on in the series, I really am hoping Ash gets one and it is actually given some real purpose bar scouting ahead for things.

Overall, this episode made me smile, especially Dawn and Piplup building their first bonds, it's always enjoyable seeing the new girl getting acquainted with her pokémon. I also enjoy it when the episode is centered around someone bar Ash, so that was another good thing.

8/10

Yamato-san
14th June 2007, 12:59 PM
for those who aren't aware, my parody sub for this episode was finally released after two months of delay. I was, and still am, planning to do the whole premiere special, so expect more later this year. Hopefully, this should tide you over for the time being.

Cobalt_Latios
20th June 2007, 7:50 AM
for those who aren't aware, my parody sub for this episode was finally released after two months of delay. I was, and still am, planning to do the whole premiere special, so expect more later this year. Hopefully, this should tide you over for the time being.
I for one, have watched this and must say, it is one of the funniest things i have ever seen. I shall spoiler-fy this segment as to not go off topic :
It seemed to fit so perfectly and I was simply waiting for every moment for a great sub, which came. I have some favorite lines, but what cracked me up the most was the "THE PRICE IS HIKARI" thing during the commercial, and the thing with the "Dawn" dish detergent(was brutally waiting for someone to do something like that). I also loved how you treated the entire episode as though it was some kind of advertising gimmick. And best of all, the credits, where you put random sponsors that actually had great merit to them.
Secondly, I am quite pleased that you're making the other two and cannot wait to see them, and I'll let my friend know about this, as he's seen this too and enjoyed it.

~C_L~

Jeff Zero
14th July 2007, 11:31 AM
c'mon, I'm sure EVERYONE was quite happy by the Ariados appearence.
I know I was. I love Ariados, and dislike how the anime typecasts him and Spinarak as "the Pokemon who spin webs" who can't really do anything else. That always "bugged" me. (pardon the bad pun)

npdargy312
18th July 2007, 9:48 AM
I really liked this episode

Jeff Zero
25th July 2007, 4:49 AM
Yaknow, I always meant to take back what I said about the new TR motto. When I first heard it I said it wasn't very memorable and the music didn't fit as well as the old themes did. I find with a lot of songs, theme songs, (especially in anime) and in this case the TR motto, it takes time before something becomes "catchy" for you. These days I say with full honesty the new motto gets stuck in my head all the time, and the music is probably one of the most inspiring and dramatic pieces of music I've heard lately. If the dub didn't use it the new motto would very much suck.

Rebeccag
28th October 2007, 11:44 PM
Good first episode. I liked how they mainly focused it on Dawn and picking her first pokemon then showed ash at the end . Also it showed professor rowan and the three new starters and i just love pipup ^_^

Wobuffet fan
14th January 2008, 2:09 AM
I really liked this episode. I thought the writers for PUSA were real smart in not revealing Team Rocket's names. That would allow all of the little kids to get into the anime as though nothing special happened. On that note, HOW can a counter for a scratch attack make the balloon explode? The most it should have done was deflating it. I guess the writers don't want Team Rocket to ever really win.

I liked Dawn's mother a lot. She wasn't so eerily cheery unlike some other moms, and she was realistic about what she wanted her daughter to wear. I also liked Dawn too, she's easy to like and doesn't sound so bad. I am really fallling in love with the Gym Leader Music, though.

Gravy
5th February 2008, 6:53 PM
I watched the first 10 or so minutes of this this morning, and good lord, does Staraptor sound awful. That was a voice-cast of Grovyle proportions, and the sad part of it is, the whole damn evolution chain sounds like that. Massive failure imo.

Contribute? Add a positive opinion? Not make an inane complaint? ME?!

Ludi-Kero!
10th February 2008, 7:02 AM
Premiered in Mexico today =P

Well, I really like this episode. I've been waiting the beginning of DP in Mexico time ago, and I'm not disappointed. The voices of Dawn and Rowan are very nice in my opinion and I like them.

This episode was a great way to introduce the Sinnoh region. The way Dawn is portrayed is nice, and I like how she acts here, with all her mistakes and all. The interaction with Piplup, the inability to read a map =P and how she thinks she got the "necessary" things for her journey. And it's a plus that almost all the episode focused on Dawn and Ash was only there for a minute.

I also liked the Dunsparce cameo =P That thing needs to appear more, in other situations. Not ready to be eaten.

palkia1
19th February 2008, 11:49 AM
Well i just saw this yesterday for the first time, and i must say that it was a very good opening to a hopefully great season.

I didn't like the fact of another co-ordinator, even though contests in anime are exciting though crap in games. I knew Dawn would get Piplup because every co-ordinator has to have a water Pokemon with bubble/bubblebeam (May and Squirtle are prime abusers).

I am a bit annoyed that all Piplup does in this episode and the second one is use Bubblebeam though. A different attack once in a while would be nice.

I liked how Pikachu finally got blasted away from Ash. If only it was permanent. The three starters in Rowan's lab were cool as well, especially the constantly eating Turtwig. Very good opening episode.

bhrettzerda053
26th March 2008, 4:00 AM
Hikari(Dawn) has a good appearance(for the first time). She is the same character in Diamond/Pearl. At first, Pochama(Piplup) attacked her somewhere after or before battling Ariados. Plus, I knew she'd spot Emuritto(Mesprit) in Lake Verity. This part looks difficult for others to see this legendary pokemon since it's cloudy out there. You can't wait for that part when the stowaway Aipom rode with Ash in the boat going to Sinnoh and the part when Team Rocket blasted off again, for the first time-in Sinnoh! Too bad Ash's Pikachu got involved in the blast.

piplup911
10th April 2008, 1:51 AM
this is the episode I fell in love with piplup in!

he is now my favorite pokemon!

aquajet16
2nd May 2008, 3:37 AM
Though I only watched the subtitled version, I will place my comment about the episode.
I find it good that Dawn, my most favorite character, had an episode of her own because it only focused on her.

I just love the Piplup and Dawn scenes, they were pretty funny too,XD.

dman_dustin
3rd May 2008, 4:50 PM
As this episode aired again, I noticed how absent-minded Dawn was in this first episode.

After Professor Rowan told Dawn she may have seen a legendary, she said "Awesome" and had the most absent-minded look on her face. And she also said "wow" with the same absent-minded look.

(s.i.e)
18th July 2008, 7:50 PM
i finally watched this eopisode and i must say that i'm very satisfied about it, i'll give it a 10/10.

Shiny qwilfish of doom
14th November 2008, 9:41 AM
i watched this episode when sinnoh first started,10/10.

Torpoleon
15th November 2008, 12:28 AM
This episode rocked it starts a new region!Man when will Team Rocket give it a rest?

gtab x3
4th December 2008, 4:49 AM
Loved this episode when it first aired, best part was hearing th music from the games, (when you go throgh route 201). it was funny that dawn got confused on where to go. i always will believe that prof. rowan is the meanist looking professor there is.

TurtwigFan1
10th December 2008, 8:11 PM
Loved this episode! Piplup was so adorable and cute, I could just pick her up and hug her. Dawn was really cute too.

#1-Icelandic-Pokemon-Fan
17th January 2009, 2:54 PM
What!!! Is Piplup a girl i always thought it was a boy:D

Igottapoo
21st January 2009, 11:17 AM
This was a great start to the Diamond and Pearl series. Dawn and Piplup were so cute together. I'm glad this episode was hardly focused on Ash. And Staraptor carrying Chimchar back was funny lol.

milenadrg
21st January 2009, 2:03 PM
Not an Piplup lover, but this episode was exelent. Dawn was totally new character and it was glad seeing someone new alone without Ash:)

S.Suikun
7th May 2009, 1:48 AM
Holy cow, I can't believe it's been nearly three years since I posted in this thread. So why am I again, you ask? Well, summer is just around the corner for me, and upon impulse, I have decided that one of my summer hobbies will be rewatching episodes of Pokemon DP, since I haven't really rewatched Pokemon regularly since the Orange Islands. The reviews I will be giving will be more professional than the ones you usually get from me (i.e. no crazy side remarks about brain damage...okay, maybe just a few), and I'm gonna be giving letter grades like the AV Club. As a warning, I am difficult to please. Note that for new episodes, I'll still do whatever I please. It's just nice to have a different take on some past episodes in a retrospective.

With that...

This is a great kick-off to Diamond & Pearl. I would dare say that this certainly exceeds the beginning of AG, thanks to nearly the entire focus of the episode centering around the new lead protagonist. Dragging Satoshi's plot over the next three episodes really does establish this saga nicely, but when speaking of this episode in particular, we get a great glimpse of both Hikari's and Pochama's personalities. Back when this episode first aired, some were still getting over the Haruka similarities, but even then, you can see some differences stick out from the very start. Professor Rowan is a nice reprieve from the kookier professors of the past, and Pochama's eventual market domination was solidified from Day One thanks to its bratty quirks.

The direction that Hikari and Pochama's relationship takes from the lab escape scene draws some similarities to Satoshi and Pikachu first meeting, though this may have been a purposeful intent of the writers. I've never been a big fan of Hikari's mother as a character, but the fact that they established her background early on at least gives her some depth. Instead of Ariados, I would rather some flashy new regional jerk Pokemon be shown off given how we anticipated these new creatures so much. Granted, the development between the two would become more gradual and fleshed-out, and this is overall a nice set-up for the next episode. However, these first three episodes are clearly meant to be viewed together.

B+

Littlemyuu
13th June 2009, 12:55 AM
A great episode! i remember when i first saw it...good memories from Piplup...lol 10/10

catzisconfus
16th August 2009, 9:21 PM
of course the first episode is always good ^^

catzisconfus
16th August 2009, 9:23 PM
of course the first episode is always good ^^

No. 1 Machop Fan
11th November 2009, 12:35 AM
Take a look at page 4 of the pictures on Serebii's site. In one of them, you see under Dawn's skirt while she's riding her bike!

Ragingmaiden
17th November 2009, 3:47 AM
I think dawn's a cuter girl
since I am Dawn

Lorde
17th November 2009, 3:51 AM
Not all that exciting but that's to be expected from the first episode in a saga. Dawn got almost all the screentime to herself which is a first. Ash usually gets the screentime at the start of every saga so that was a nice little change of pace I support. Dawn and Piplup got a nice debut there so that's a notable part of this episode. 7/10.

pokezack101
12th December 2009, 6:21 PM
This espiode was a great way to start off the D/P saga.

Ash-kid
16th December 2009, 4:12 PM
The start of D/P was great. Dawn wasn't really ready for that.

And i loved that Ash got little screentime. great.

9/10

KGB13
14th January 2010, 7:10 PM
I loved this episode. Great start to a great series.

Mr. Joker
5th May 2010, 12:03 AM
I am re-watching the DP Series again so expect me to review most of the DP episodes :]

I thought that the episode was a very good way to start off the DP series, I think that the writers didn't rush it like a lot of the first DP episodes. I liked Piplup in this episode, it was cute. I loved when Staraptor was flying with Chimchar in its talons, it was a cute moment. I hated when Dawn asked Aridos to stop though, it's a Pokemon that is trying to kill you and eat you, YOU DON'T ASK IT TO STOP.

9/A-

Willow's Tara
31st May 2010, 4:18 AM
Mr. Joker- They always do that, Ash and co constantly tell TR to stop and act like that TR does not know what they are doing is wrong (Hello they are the bad guys, they don't care if that Pokemon belongs to someone, that's the point of stealing!).

Anyways not a bad start off with Sinnoh, I like how it was mostly centered around Dawn and she didn't met Ash until the third episode. It was funny how she walked into that building and was like "Here I am!" lol.

Rowan looked quite strict really. I felt sorry for that Turtwig, when Rowan's assissant announced that Chimchar and Piplup took off along with Starapator he gave Turtwig a glare what was that? He didn't do anything, I bet Turtwig was like "I should have gone with them".

Not a big fan of Johanna either, mostly because when Dawn lost (or won whichever) a contest of her own she was like "Don't come calling to me everytime you lost and won!" What was that? Not a very nice mother if she could care less if Dawn lost or won.

Dawn's and Piplup's relationship did start off like Ash, Dawn even imagined releasing each Pokemon like Ash had done (Only she didn't sleep in). It was nice for them to get along soon but Piplup is sure stubborn. The look on Chimchar's face when it was being carried by Staraptor was right.

Dawn was smart when she managed to trick Ariados, good episode.

wind21
20th June 2010, 6:12 PM
Ever since Dawn finished the Grand Festival, I've rewatched almost all of these episodes. Maybe for future reference or a laugh, I'll put down the things that really struck me.
Okay.

This episode is Dawn's intro. When I first watched this, I was pretty entertained seeing Dawn's background and then her rescue of Piplup from the Ariados. Now, not so much, since this episode has been referred to (as in, the Ariados attacking Dawn and Piplup using bide) twice later on in the diamond and pearl series.
One of the things about Dawn that I think writers have tried to balance is her being very similar to Ash vs. her being a starting coordinator, who has doubts about her ability and feels pressure (which, if Ash does feel that way, he doesn't show it too often- maybe he expresses it differently by being more reckless). This episode focuses more on her similarity to Ash in the way she goes alone into the forest, w/o any pokemon protection, to try to recover the runaway pokemon.

With serious analysis aside, there are 2 parts I particularly enjoy about this episode:
1) Dawn lost in the town, trying to find Professor Rowan
2)Team Rocket's blastoff in their balloon. Writers have to find some way to make it happen since Ash does not have a flying type Pokemon with him, and they do an okay job.

~Platinum~
18th July 2010, 5:44 AM
Now that the Sinnoh League has begun and BW is on the horizon, I have somehow managed to come and look back at the very first episode of DP. Not a bad episode for kicking off a whole new saga. Some parts such as Dawn getting lost on the way to Prof. Rowan's pokemon lab and the Mesprit were very nice and quite enjoyable. And I LOLed at how Turtwig just sat there eating while all that chaos was going on.

Hikari Paradise
18th August 2010, 9:57 PM
I truly enjoyed this episode. Seeing how similar Dawn's beginning was to Ash's made it feel special.

RickHoenn
13th October 2010, 4:17 PM
This was my least fav first episode of a region buhhh but it was nice still (almost all the ep. was dedicated to Dawn? o_O') then Ash appears at the tail-end and Pikachu got blasted off, always something happens to him at the start of a saga, hahaha! xD at it was cool Ash bri... Aipom followed him!

9/10 :)

Painkiller2001
5th November 2010, 1:26 AM
What is this mysterious land I'm apparently treading?

Who is this strange girl I've never seen before?

Who are these three monsters that I've never met?

I must have wondered into the wrong anime, somehow.
Might as well turn around and go ho-
Oh, hey, Ash! I was wondering when I'd see you again! I was beginning to think this was the wrong show I wandered into. But, nope, It's the right one.

Welcome to the Sinnoh region, everyone!
It's going to be a crazy good time! I can feel it!

Lance The Champ
28th November 2010, 10:28 AM
Sinnoh adventures would be the best.... I knew it when I saw this episode

G50
27th April 2011, 5:14 AM
This episode was ok... It was cool to see Dawn for the 1st time, and to have an early episode centering around her. Dawn's mother is really cool. It was great to see Turtwig, Chimchar, and Piplup for the 1st time. It was cool to see Glameow for the 1st time owned by her mother. It was great to see that Dawn will be traveling with a GL contest ribbon from her mother. Interesting how Dawn actually knows right away that she wants to do contests. Interesting that Turtwig stays and is unaware while Piplup and Chimchar escape. It was cool to see Bide for the 1st time, used by Piplup to save Dawn.

40/100

Miar
11th May 2011, 7:45 AM
This was a very different episode. Almost completely focused on Dawn, yet another new trainer, while Ash doesn't appear until the end.

Unlike May, Dawn was a more idealistic girl who already knew what she wanted to do. And she saved and sorta bonded with Piplup, so she also knew who she wanted to start with (not really so before that)

A nice start overall to a very good series.

wind21
13th May 2011, 4:06 AM
I rewatched this today after a pretty long while; and it was an amazing experience. When I reviewed this earlier, I was somewhat "bored"; it was Sinnoh League time, and I was well versed in all the nuances of this series, and the general trends of the region. But getting away from it (and into the BW universe) and coming back with a fresh mind....I see that I really didn't give this episode the credit it deserves. The way it refers to Ash's first episode is so subtle, that you don't catch that's what the writers are going for until about 2/3 of the way into the episode. It's really nice.

Ash's appearance at the end....I guess what I found so interesting about it is that, I can just imagine what someone, who's just started out Pokemon and using this as their first episode, would be thinking when that scene came: Who is this guy? That's the way Paul enters in the very next episode, the mystery rival. But the way Ash enters at the end of this episode...he really feels like the mystery hero, for the same reason. The irony of the episode, though, is that Dawn's adventure is complete retell of Ash's first adventure. So if a new viewer were to ask who is Ash, then a more seasoned viewer could say, "You just saw who he was. You just didn't know it." That's really cool.

CyberCubed
13th May 2011, 4:08 AM
It is odd that Ash didn't appear till the very end.

In the first BW episode, Iris only gets what...1 minute of screentime? And the rest is all Ash.

Although a good chunk of Hoenn's first ep was about May too, but not to the same degree as this.

Platinum fan.
13th May 2011, 4:44 AM
I was actually planning on rewatching DP again starting with this episode. When it first aired I was like, "it was okay" I was neutral towards it and Dawn/Piplup in general but I liked how she had the whole episode bar the tail end to herself. Looking at the series I don't think we'll ever get a episode like this again.

CyberCubed
13th May 2011, 5:40 AM
I was actually planning on rewatching DP again starting with this episode. When it first aired I was like, "it was okay" I was neutral towards it and Dawn/Piplup in general but I liked how she had the whole episode bar the tail end to herself. Looking at the series I don't think we'll ever get a episode like this again.

Depends if they ever do a co-star again, or not.

Anyway its pretty funny that at DP's start people thought Dawn was going to get more screentime than Ash because of eps like this.

TabiPianist
14th May 2011, 12:35 AM
I think it's great that Dawn had the whole episode. It was kind of annoying in the other first episodes because you knew little about them when they first met up with ash.

TheEpicGoomba
27th May 2011, 3:57 PM
It was nice to see alot of Sinnoh Pokemon in this episode(Duh). At this point I liked Dawn but near the middle of the series I started to HATE her soo much. Cool not to see Ash for a while though. Rowan sounds scary 0_0

7/10

manaphy72
4th June 2011, 3:30 AM
pokemon shows are sooo cool

The sandwich
6th August 2011, 8:04 PM
Dawn should have taken Turtwig.

Just kidding. After all THAT it was obvious she wanted Piplup. n_n

Dawn+Serena Fan
26th August 2011, 8:47 PM
I love this episode. I like how most of the episode was focused on Dawn while Ash only got a few minutes of screen time.

@cybercubed: Do you think there's any chance of any new female characters getting the co-star role like Dawn?

BurningSociety12345543210
4th September 2011, 4:38 AM
Didn't really like this episode. It focused too much on Dawn. Come on people, the main character is Ash! Not Dawn. I was afraid she was going to replace him as the main character. (okay not really, but still.) O_o

6/10

Banana Knight Arthur
17th January 2012, 5:18 AM
I just saw this episode a few days ago for the first time.

Subbed none the less.

I really enjoyed the change of pace that was Ash's absence for the larger part of the episode.

It would have been nice if this was testing the notion of replacing Ash, even though it didn't turn out that way/

Also highlights the refreshing change Hikari is from Haruka.

CyberCubed
17th January 2012, 5:23 AM
I just saw this episode a few days ago for the first time.

It took you this long to watch the first DP episode? This ep debuted back in 2006 for goodness sakes.

I really enjoyed the change of pace that was Ash's absence for the larger part of the episode.

It would have been nice if this was testing the notion of replacing Ash, even though it didn't turn out that way/

I doubt they had any plans of dropping Ash. It was done simply to show Dawn's higher level of importance than past travel companions.

Blessed
25th January 2012, 8:30 PM
I just saw this episode lol Dawn & Piplup are perfect for each other I love their friendship it's so cute! & how Dawn wanted to save it from the araidos.

OshyHikari
20th February 2012, 2:28 AM
I loved this episode cos it was Dawn, it's all about Dawn.

And I think she will forever be remembered as one of the most influential characters the series ever brought to us thanks to some Ash similarities.

FYI the Staraptor seen in this episode was shown to be around the size of Staravia.

Dawn and Piplup
4th March 2012, 6:01 PM
One of my favourite episodes!
I love Dawn and Piplup and it was cute how they eventually made friends and Piplup wanted to save her life.

Faker500
9th June 2012, 9:49 PM
I found myself bored with this episode. Maybe it's because of the whole starter non sense that didn't need to happen. I also wanted Dawn to wear some of those outfits in the contests instead of that same aweful pink dress that seems to never gets thrown out. Turtig could have been given to her as well but the cooler starters always go to the girls, don't they? 8/10

BurningSociety12345543210
9th June 2012, 9:52 PM
I found myself bored with this episode. Maybe it's because of the whole starter non sense that didn't need to happen. I also wanted Dawn to wear some of those outfits in the contests instead of that same aweful pink dress that seems to never gets thrown out. Turtig could have been given to her as well but the cooler starters always go to the girls, don't they? 8/10

Turtwig is the coolest starter, bro. Your statement is flawed. ;)

I was bored mainly because the entire episode was about Dawn and we only see Ash in the end.

Faker500
19th June 2012, 6:41 PM
Turtwig is the coolest starter, bro. Your statement is flawed. ;)

I was bored mainly because the entire episode was about Dawn and we only see Ash in the end.

Yeah but Piplup could have been Ash's then if it was so. I like all of the sinnoh starters. If Aipom wasn't here then I could have totally see Ash with Chimchar instead of waiting about 15 episodes ahead to then get it. But again, the writer do whatever they want.

32er
26th June 2012, 3:11 PM
I thought this episode was okay, not really amazing but nice to see Dawn for the ffirst time.
8.5/10

Dawn+Serena Fan
17th August 2012, 1:26 AM
I just rewatched this episode. I still love that most of the episode focuses on Dawn. Also this episode is awesome because 1 of the best characters in the anime debuts here :D
I give it a 10/10!

WhyHelloThere
2nd October 2012, 1:26 AM
The episode was alright. Not too great, but it's nice to see a new trainer who wasn't an idiot in the beginning. That's one of the things I liked about Dawn. Ash should have gotten more screentime though.

PokemontrainerY
11th August 2013, 4:30 PM
This is the episode that began the DP saga, and it was mostly focused on the new main female lead Dawn .... Who wants to become a top Coordinator like her mother, Johanna. It's interesting how the beginning of Dawn's journey was very similar to Ash's. The part when Dawn imagines about performing contests each of the three starter, was very similar too Ash's dream in the first episode. Dawn and Piplup's encounter with Ariados also reminded me of the very first Pokemon episode, where Ash and Pikachu encountered a folk of Beedrill.
And also, Dawn seeing Mesprit in this episode was similar to Ash seeing Ho-oh in the first episode.
When I watched this episode for the first time, I thought Dawn replaced Ash in the anime ...... Until he appeared at the last moment. Team Rocket, once again was trying to steal Pikachu ... But they blasted off and Pikachu got seperated from Ash. I thought It was suspenseful way to end this episode.

Painkiller2001
19th November 2014, 3:08 AM
If you're studying the evolution of a Pokemon, wouldn't it make sense to have all three of the same line? Meh, doesn't matter too much.
Neat little throwback to the very first episode with Dawn imagining entering contests with the three starters, like Ash and him starting his adventure with the three Kanto starters.

Lorde
23rd November 2014, 7:27 AM
I cackled when Dawn packed all her clothes in the beginning, and I thought it was cute that her mom gave her a ribbon; it was a symbolic gesture. I was really creeped out by that wild Ariados that had various wild Pokemon in its web, and I cackled since Dawn left them there and didn't save them. Lake Verity was pretty though and omg Mesprit.

Dawn+Serena Fan
12th December 2014, 8:33 PM
Pretty great episode and pretty much all of it focused on Dawn starting her journey with Piplup. Loved all the nice moments between Dawn and Piplup and it was nice that both got to see Mesprit. 10/10