PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, but I think this is kinda disrespectful

Mykas0
3rd October 2006, 11:17 PM
First of all, two of my topics in the past seem to have been erased.
The first was about me trying to discuss if people (like myself) liked to see what kind of "fake pokemon" people created, in D/P.
The second was posted when D/P was released, and it was about the wireless functions in D/P, where I posted a link to a post in my personal blog on japanese gaming, since I was in a hurry, that day.

Both topics were erased, and a new one (which I just submitted a few minutes ago) was moderated, a topic where I was trying to ask some questions about where to get certain pokemons and evolution items, behind some more stuff. I was told that *perhaps* I was supposed to post in the Help Thread or something, but I saw no rule stating that thing, and I doubt this last topic was "pointless, repeats or spam".

Now, what I find kinda bad is that moderators don't even warn us of why the topic was erased. Fair enough, the reason could be obvious in some cases (like kids asking for roms or anything), but in this case it isn't, and the moderator I contacted had no clue on why would these 3 topics be erased, since there was no logical reason for it.
I was mostly trying to contribute to this board, mostly with the first and second topics, and seeking help in the third one, and having it erased AND not even getting any kind of warning or reason about it is just bad. In case you people don't want me here, there's no problem, I'll simply go back to Gamefaqs, but I think that all this wasn't very nice...

In case someone can give some proper answers on all this, I would be happy to hear, please.

EDIT:
After this post, the topic which had been moderated before *mysteriously* appeared. -_-

indigestible_wad
4th October 2006, 12:15 AM
Well discussing Fake pokemon would lead to useless spam similar to the stuff that used to clog up the DP forum. There was probably a help topic on the wireless thing. Or else there's not enough information to keep a proper discussion on the topic. As for finding new pokemon and items, if there is already a way to find it, you should be doing that rather than just making help topics about it because it saves space.

Mykas0
4th October 2006, 12:19 AM
My topic was mostly for moderators to answer, but ok. For the "fake pokemon", we weren't discussing it, but talking about if people like to see them or not.
About the wireless thing, there wasn't anything at that moment.
And if there is a way to do it, maybe YOU should tell me where to capture the jigglypuff and the ditto... :P

Wolf Goddess
4th October 2006, 12:54 AM
What's the first one supposed to consist of?

"I made a Steeleon and I liked it."

I was supposed to post in the Help Thread or something, but I saw no rule stating that thing, and I doubt this last topic was "pointless, repeats or spam".

Because making a help thread when we have an official Help thread isn't repeating.

Your other thread was essentially an advertisement.

Kreis
4th October 2006, 12:57 AM
i made a thread to and it mysteriously disapeared and it wasnt spammy either could you explain?

WiiRevolution1
4th October 2006, 1:10 AM
The Fake Pokemon thread IDK.

But the Help threads were deleted because there was already a Official Help Thread ;) so no need to create duplicates. ;)

Locke Yggdrasill
4th October 2006, 2:24 AM
I like how all of the newbs complain here. :<

Your topics were useless. :)

Kreis
4th October 2006, 2:25 AM
me not a noob my thread was a good thread and it was quite serious not like "omg i want feebas"

pokemonster2191
4th October 2006, 2:42 AM
EDIT:
After this post, the topic which had been moderated before *mysteriously* appeared. -_-

hmmm. maybe because it was so pointless that nobody posted in it so it moved back to a different page and then some noob like yourself decided to post in it and bumped it back to the front page? lol locke its funny cus its true. all the newbs complain. its probably cus no one knows the rules (which are all stickiee by the way. theyre right at the top. its not hard to read them.) and then they spam up the forums. then other ppl who have read the rules get mad and the noobs cry. its what makes the world go round. :/

pokemonster2191
4th October 2006, 2:44 AM
EDIT:

hmmm. maybe because it was so pointless that nobody posted in it so it moved back to a different page and then some noob like yourself decided to post in it and bumped it back to the front page? lol locke its funny cus its true. all the newbs complain. its probably cus no one knows the rules (which are all stickiee by the way. theyre right at the top. its not hard to read them.) and then they spam up the forums. then other ppl who have read the rules get mad and the noobs cry. its what makes the world go round. :/

Locke Yggdrasill
4th October 2006, 2:47 AM
EDIT:
I guess the mods decided that, since your opinion matters to them and all that they'd repost it because you're awesome like that. :D

GibborEtAdon
4th October 2006, 4:34 AM
Pokemonster, you have proved that you are a noob by double posting. Its one of the core attributes of pure noobage.

And here comes my opinion. The staff on this site are a bit over the edge in their spam control. A topic about fake pokemone is in no way spam. If there are multiple ACTIVE topics about that subject, THEN posting another would be spam.

As staff you need to be a bit more proffesional. In that sense warn someone of why their post was wrong by posting in it and locking it. THEN after a few days, (giving them the chance to see why you think it was wrong) you can delete the topic.

It leaves for less talk about it, and less complaining from people. Be a bit more sensable about the situations. Instead of the way you handle it.

Mykas0,
I am sorry your posts were deleted, I am sure they did not deserve to be. Also, make sure before thinking they are deleted that you check on the second page of posts. Sometimes the forum is so active that in a day an unanswered topic will easily be pushed to a second page.

I'm out, don't take my post as a bash on staff, but more of some helpful advice.

RaZoR LeAf
4th October 2006, 11:13 AM
Double posting can be accidental, and if you close the topic afterwards you have no way of knowing. The posts are indentical, meaning that's probably the case. had they been different, then you may call comment.

Now, lets take a look at your deleted topic. First point of the day, it's title:

good??......

There have been numerous warnings about making titles that do not give an idea of what the topic is about. This is a good example of what not to name a topic.

The main page once talked about the transfering pokemon thing so any way the balls have 100% capture rate and it also said that the harder the encounter rate was for a pokemon the longer it would take for you to find in the park but does that include shinies they are super rare would that make them even harder to find in the park then?

Sounds like you needed help with the game. As WolfGoddess already said. There's a help thread already.

Chris
4th October 2006, 11:51 AM
First of all, two of my topics in the past seem to have been erased.
The first was about me trying to discuss if people (like myself) liked to see what kind of "fake pokemon" people created, in D/P.
That's what FAN ART is for. It holds no place in Diamond/Pearl. Especially not when we've had dozens of fake artwork turn up and people assumed they were legit.

The second was posted when D/P was released, and it was about the wireless functions in D/P, where I posted a link to a post in my personal blog on japanese gaming, since I was in a hurry, that day.
Protip: If you're in a hurry and making a topic, DON'T POST UNTIL YOU HAVE THE TIME TO DO SO. There's no excuse to make a rush topic. Considering you posted just to post a link to your personal blog, you're basically advertising. That's two problems there.

Both topics were erased, and a new one (which I just submitted a few minutes ago) was moderated, a topic where I was trying to ask some questions about where to get certain pokemons and evolution items, behind some more stuff. I was told that *perhaps* I was supposed to post in the Help Thread or something, but I saw no rule stating that thing, and I doubt this last topic was "pointless, repeats or spam".
All topics in D/P are being moderated if they're new. We're fed up with the amount of repeat and useless topics being created. We also have a Help Thread for a reason. There IS a rule against what you did. If we have a thread for it, POST IN IT. Just because you have a question does not make you any more special than anyone else. You're to ask in the same thread like everyone else.

Now, what I find kinda bad is that moderators don't even warn us of why the topic was erased. Fair enough, the reason could be obvious in some cases (like kids asking for roms or anything), but in this case it isn't, and the moderator I contacted had no clue on why would these 3 topics be erased, since there was no logical reason for it.
Sounds pretty obvious to me. And I didn't even need to look at your threads.

I was mostly trying to contribute to this board, mostly with the first and second topics, and seeking help in the third one, and having it erased AND not even getting any kind of warning or reason about it is just bad. In case you people don't want me here, there's no problem, I'll simply go back to Gamefaqs, but I think that all this wasn't very nice...
What isn't nice is trying to race to be the first with info. No one likes it when people make repeat topics or useless ones. The first topic contributed nothing as you asked what kind of fakes people made. Second was advertising. That's what a sig is for. Again, contributes nothing.

It's called following the basic internet rules. This is common sense we're dealing with here. I'll tell you what isn't very nice. Making two threads that have NOTHING to do with the forum you were posting in, making a new thread asking for help when there's already an OFFICIAL help topic and then complaining to us for doing our job.

Seriously now. Do I have to say more?

GibborEtAdon
4th October 2006, 7:02 PM
Double posting can be accidental, and if you close the topic afterwards you have no way of knowing. The posts are indentical, meaning that's probably the case. had they been different, then you may call comment.

By any chance could you re-word this sentence? I don't quite understand what you are trying to say. Thank you =D

Kreis
4th October 2006, 7:06 PM

Now, lets take a look at your deleted topic. First point of the day, it's title:

There have been numerous warnings about making titles that do not give an idea of what the topic is about. This is a good example of what not to name a topic.

Sounds like you needed help with the game. As WolfGoddess already said. There's a help thread already.

o.k thanks. i agree the title should have had more meaning instead of good??

Mykas0
4th October 2006, 7:10 PM
Sorry for the delay in my answer, but I was posting a huge one and then the forum went into maintenance. -_- Anyway, you seem to have missed the point; while I made this post, what I find to be kinda disrespectful is that moderators do whatever they want, without even providing reasons or warning us of what they did with our topics. For example, the "third" topic, which I posted yesterday, was first "moderated" (as in "rejected for posting in D/P board"), then accepted AND, some hours later, compiled in some other topic, and if it wasn't for me getting a whole bunch of notification e-mails (mea culpa, I admit it, but I like to know when people answer my topics), I couldn't even have noticed it. Do whatever you want, but at least warn users that their posts were moved/deleted/whatever.
Anyway, on to answering the important posts...

First of all, be respectful towards me, please. Just because I don't come here to post 100 messages and I've just registered in here recently doesn't mean that I'm a "noob". Besides, I suggest you to read the "User ranks do not mean anything" rule.
Also, that didn't happened, and I NEVER bumped any topics here. Oh, and yes, I actually read the rules, and (for example) I've just posted this topic because everyone (as in "the moderators") failed to give me a proper explanation.

That's what FAN ART is for. It holds no place in Diamond/Pearl. Especially not when we've had dozens of fake artwork turn up and people assumed they were legit.

The topic, as far as I recall, was of me trying to ask people what they thought about the D/P fake pokemons, the ones shown in Serebii's very own site, and wheter or not they like to see it. Such post was made after Serebii's decision not to post any more fakes, something that was stated in the main site.
You could obviously state that it didn't belong in the D/P section of the forum, but then I would have to ask:
- If so, why were those fake pokemon posted on Serebii.net news as part of D/P news, saying that they weren't real?
- If so, why did people only removed the topic after it had a good amount of replies?

Protip: If you're in a hurry and making a topic, DON'T POST UNTIL YOU HAVE THE TIME TO DO SO. There's no excuse to make a rush topic. Considering you posted just to post a link to your personal blog, you're basically advertising. That's two problems there.

I have to agree with your protip, but not with the rest of your answer. Basically, what you're telling me is that if I post "There's a post in (insert link here) about new functions on D/P" it will be OK (you can't deny it, I've seen it tons of times in these boards before), but if I post "There's a post in my blog (insert DIRECT LINK here) about new functions in D/P", that's not allowed?
So, it gets deleted just for stating that a site/blog/whatever is mine, is that it? In the spam rule of this very own board, it says "Please make sure that you have something important to say", well, news that Serebii hadn't posted before aren't important? If it was a simple link to my blog, I would understand the "advertising" reason, but it was a simple link to some yet-unpublished stuff I had found about the game, something that is allowed and fulfilled all the rules available in http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=64468 .

All topics in D/P are being moderated if they're new. We're fed up with the amount of repeat and useless topics being created. We also have a Help Thread for a reason. There IS a rule against what you did. If we have a thread for it, POST IN IT. Just because you have a question does not make you any more special than anyone else. You're to ask in the same thread like everyone else.

There IS? So, can I see it, please? I've seen none in http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=64468 . You could state "Do not make similar topics or post information that already exists" rule from the main ones, but in the IRC channel I was previously told to post it here, in a new topic, since I had several questions about different areas of the game.
If there is indeed such rule, why do certain topics don't fall under such category, like this one -> http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=155265 ? Magic?
But, now, I really wanna know it: if you can tell me, why was it moderated (in the sense of "rejected for posting in the section"), then accepted and a few hours later, compiled in another topic, where they make no sense whatsoever, with you guys not even warning me? Isn't that weird? In my opinion, it is, and it shows that the forum is perhaps getting weird, in the sense of moderators being allowed to do whatever they want, without any reasons at all.

What isn't nice is trying to race to be the first with info. No one likes it when people make repeat topics or useless ones. The first topic contributed nothing as you asked what kind of fakes people made. Second was advertising. That's what a sig is for. Again, contributes nothing.

I NEVER asked what kind of fakes people made, the reasoning behind that topic was already stated.
Second COULD be advertising (if you wanna go by that, despite what I've said above), but it ALSO CONTAINED NEW INFORMATION ON THE GAME, and therefore contributes.

It's called following the basic internet rules. This is common sense we're dealing with here. I'll tell you what isn't very nice. Making two threads that have NOTHING to do with the forum you were posting in, making a new thread asking for help when there's already an OFFICIAL help topic and then complaining to us for doing our job.

Seriously now. Do I have to say more?

Two threads? I could go 1 for the fakes one (according to YOUR reasoning), but what would be the second one?
Oh, and if that's OFFICIAL in something more than a mere word, why isn't it stickied? Why isn't there a explicit rule to post in there?
And, if you're doing your job, why was I told that a certain moderator just randomly erases topics when he/she (I don't wanna disclose on who told me this, or who the person I am talking about is, for obvious reasons) feels like it?
If that's your job, why weren't the offtopic posts in this very same topic erased, or something? Maybe because there are no rules here, and you, moderators, just seem to do whatever you want?! Sorry to tell it like that, but that's exactly how I feel about it!

GibborEtAdon
4th October 2006, 7:33 PM
Maybe because there are no rules here, and you, moderators, just seem to do whatever you want?! Sorry to tell it like that, but that's exactly how I feel about it!

Agreed.

I have nothing against any individual on this site. And nothing against the personality of the individual moderators. I enjoy everyone here, and like the environment of the site. BUT Most moderators that I have observed in the last few days moderate with no reason to do so. There have been locked topics that don't need to be locked, and there are problems like this that do not need to exist.

Thanks for the post Mykas0. I personally enjoyed reading your opinion on the staff of these forums. I hope that they do not see it as an attack and that they see whatever constructive critism we have to be helpful to becoming better moderators.

Cipher 2008
4th October 2006, 8:53 PM
Most moderators that I have observed in the last few days moderate with no reason to do so.Are you surprised, with all the DP crap floating about the forums recently? It's not as worse as it was before, but it's still bas.

There have been locked topics that don't need to be locked, and there are problems like this that do not need to exist.If a Moderator feels a topic needs to be locked, they will lock it. If it is a repeat of another topic, if it's pointless, if it's just plain dumb, they'll lock it. Mods won't lock a topic unless it's against the rules or pointless.

Locke Yggdrasill
4th October 2006, 9:18 PM
Maybe because there are no rules here, and you, moderators, just seem to do whatever you want?! Sorry to tell it like that, but that's exactly how I feel about it!

Agreed.
If it's such a ruthless site, then why don't you go use your time elsewhere? We don't want you here if you're going to ***** and complain at the mods, kiddies.

Find me a few examples of your "observation" in which the moderators of this forum moderate outside of the given boundaries of the rules.

GibborEtAdon
4th October 2006, 10:37 PM
To say we are complaining about the staff is at most a misunderstanding. For no reason was I complaining or whining about the way the staff is acting. I only pointed out flaws in the integrity of their practices. Not because they annoy me,but simply because the way they do things is wrong, and simply that. Let me even say something about that, when I say "they" I mean the select few moderators who I have noticed. There are plenty of good ones, so don't think I am generalizing the lot of them.

No one here was starting an angry arguement, so please don't make this in to one.

Oh, and I am glad someone 4 years younger then me feels the need to call me kiddie. Hah.

LugiaRules
4th October 2006, 11:02 PM
I hate it when that happens. Just forget about it and move on with your life.

~;249-d; Rules

Locke Yggdrasill
5th October 2006, 3:58 AM
To say we are complaining about the staff is at most a misunderstanding. For no reason was I complaining or whining about the way the staff is acting. I only pointed out flaws in the integrity of their practices. Not because they annoy me,but simply because the way they do things is wrong, and simply that. Let me even say something about that, when I say "they" I mean the select few moderators who I have noticed. There are plenty of good ones, so don't think I am generalizing the lot of them.

No one here was starting an angry arguement, so please don't make this in to one.
I fail to see evidence of you people's claims.

Oh, and I am glad someone 4 years younger then me feels the need to call me kiddie. Hah.
Me too. :D

Jinchuuriki Hunter
5th October 2006, 4:34 AM
Mykas, calm down. I understand that you're upset and all and you have a good reason to be. But please, just calm down.

Mods don't usually do whatever they want. That'd be abusing power.
And if they do abuse power, just remember this, you are not the only one who suffered.

Everything happens for a reason. Your threads were deleted because you probably did something wrong. Try to find out what it is. If you can't find it, just let bygones be bygones and get on with your life.

Chris
5th October 2006, 5:01 AM
The topic, as far as I recall, was of me trying to ask people what they thought about the D/P fake pokemons, the ones shown in Serebii's very own site, and wheter or not they like to see it. Such post was made after Serebii's decision not to post any more fakes, something that was stated in the main site.
You could obviously state that it didn't belong in the D/P section of the forum, but then I would have to ask:
- If so, why were those fake pokemon posted on Serebii.net news as part of D/P news, saying that they weren't real?
- If so, why did people only removed the topic after it had a good amount of replies?
The fake Pokemon are not part of Diamond/Pearl, therefore, there's no reason to post fakes in a section about a real game. We've already made it a point not to discuss fakes there because people spread them around as being real. We have enough dimwits on this forum who don't have common sense.

I have to agree with your protip, but not with the rest of your answer. Basically, what you're telling me is that if I post "There's a post in (insert link here) about new functions on D/P" it will be OK (you can't deny it, I've seen it tons of times in these boards before), but if I post "There's a post in my blog (insert DIRECT LINK here) about new functions in D/P", that's not allowed?
Uh, no. If all you're doing is posting a link and saying "THERE'S INFO HERE!" with nothing to contribute, then it's still advertising. Way to overlook it.

So, it gets deleted just for stating that a site/blog/whatever is mine, is that it? In the spam rule of this very own board, it says "Please make sure that you have something important to say", well, news that Serebii hadn't posted before aren't important?
Most of the time, people who think they're posting something new are just reposting things that have already been said. We have discovery threads for a reason.

If it was a simple link to my blog, I would understand the "advertising" reason, but it was a simple link to some yet-unpublished stuff I had found about the game, something that is allowed and fulfilled all the rules available in http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=64468.
Discovery thread.

There IS? So, can I see it, please? I've seen none in http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=64468 . You could state "Do not make similar topics or post information that already exists" rule from the main ones, but in the IRC channel I was previously told to post it here, in a new topic, since I had several questions about different areas of the game.
It's common sense, you nut. :| You don't make a repeat topic if one already exists. IRC channel? Why do you listen to the members of a chat that's riddled with people who can't even type properly? The staff have a better idea of how to handle things. Not regular members. Most of those members will tell you something, yet break rules quite easily in the next moment.

If there is indeed such rule, why do certain topics don't fall under such category, like this one -> http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=155265 ? Magic?
But, now, I really wanna know it: if you can tell me, why was it moderated (in the sense of "rejected for posting in the section"), then accepted and a few hours later, compiled in another topic, where they make no sense whatsoever, with you guys not even warning me? Isn't that weird? In my opinion, it is, and it shows that the forum is perhaps getting weird, in the sense of moderators being allowed to do whatever they want, without any reasons at all.
Some mods do a few things that not all of them agree with or don't catch something that another mod would. In your case, we have existing threads that you could have simply posted in. We have a good amount of mods taking care of the section due to the amount of problematic topics and posts there. Some of them are just starting out with the section.

I NEVER asked what kind of fakes people made, the reasoning behind that topic was already stated.
Second COULD be advertising (if you wanna go by that, despite what I've said above), but it ALSO CONTAINED NEW INFORMATION ON THE GAME, and therefore contributes.
Which could have been posted in the many other threads we have regarding new info. There doesn't need to be a new topic for every little new thing found.

Oh, and if that's OFFICIAL in something more than a mere word, why isn't it stickied? Why isn't there a explicit rule to post in there?
We have enough stickies in the section. We don't have a rule because it's COMMON SENSE. There's no need for multiple threads for one specific topic.

And, if you're doing your job, why was I told that a certain moderator just randomly erases topics when he/she (I don't wanna disclose on who told me this, or who the person I am talking about is, for obvious reasons) feels like it?
Disrespectful members who have no idea what they're doing and assume they have every right to do what they want and then complain when they're confronted by staff. 8)

If that's your job, why weren't the offtopic posts in this very same topic erased, or something? Maybe because there are no rules here, and you, moderators, just seem to do whatever you want?! Sorry to tell it like that, but that's exactly how I feel about it!
I'm only one man. Can't expect me to handle the entire section by myself when I have to deal with the rest of the forum and have a life of my own, as well as a job outside of this house.

Moderate a forum of over 5,000 members who are all over the forum and try to deal with a good majority of them not knowing how to follow the rules or use common sense. Then you can speak on our behalf. Until then, you folks are just another group of people complaining about the way we handle the behavior of others.

Why do we allow other people do some of the things you've been dealt with about? We don't. There's simply too many members and over THOUSANDS of posts that occur by the hour. Not all of us are active at any hour to be able to take care of them.

yutss
5th October 2006, 5:55 AM
Dang, Ed El. Thats Alot of Replying!

Chris
5th October 2006, 6:11 AM
Dang, Ed El. Thats Alot of Replying!
You see what I mean, guys? We get posts like this that have absolutely NOTHING to contribute. :\ Imagine that but only every minute of the day.

Amadeus
5th October 2006, 9:23 AM
You see what I mean, guys? We get posts like this that have absolutely NOTHING to contribute. :\ Imagine that but only every minute of the day.
Really?

Kidding, I have more to say than that, and relevant stuff, too. I don't envy Ed's position, or any mod for that matter. There's so much to skim through, so much to put up with, so much to juggle at once, that I seriously would hate to see what'd happen if the mods even took a day off.

Rather than complaining as to why your thread was deleted, or that it was in the first place, just learn from it. Otherwise, you're just going to do it again, and they'll, gasp, delete or close it in much the same fashion.

chester
5th October 2006, 9:29 AM
Exactly, and then you get banned, for beind an annoying little behind-ish area

Chris
5th October 2006, 10:37 AM
Exactly, and then you get banned, for beind an annoying little behind-ish area
Thank you, Captain Obvious. Your words of wisdom have opened my eyes on how this works! O_O

GibborEtAdon
5th October 2006, 2:13 PM
Annoying little behindish area? lol So possibly someone could be a tailbone? an annoying tailbone. Or an annoying upper thigh? Lol just messing. I kinda just find it a funny way of saying it without saying it. Cheers.

All of your points are good E.E. I know how hard it is to moderate forums of this magnitude. I HAVE done it before. I also have my times where I am moderating 2 to 3 forums around half this size. Which still obviously poses a hard time. It's not a cake walk I hear you there.

It goes both ways with these threads boy'os. Members can learn from the staff, but the staff should also learn from its members. You can't take without giving, no?

EDIT: One piece ftw.