PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of a New Era (472)

Serebii
5th October 2006, 10:08 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/472.jpgDawn of a New Era

After popping Team Rocket's Balloon, Ash & Dawn argue about Hikari's experience. Dawn is eager to show her worth as a trainer and challenges a trainer who has the Pokémon Budew. It is Dawn's first battle with her new Pokémon, will Piplup be able to defeat Budew despite the type disadvantage?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/shinou/472.shtml)

Discuss

Serebii
5th October 2006, 11:19 PM
Pics are now up on Serebii.net

http://www.serebii.net/472.jpg (http://www.serebii.net/anime/pictures/shinou/472.shtml)

S.Suikun
5th October 2006, 11:33 PM
Pochama's evolution is smaller than I thought it would be. Masukippa looks to be Victreebel all over again. Meh.

LMAO @ Roselia getting KOd immediately after it just evolved. Can't be good for the thing's self-esteem...

MidnightScott
5th October 2006, 11:44 PM
I havent seen the episode yet because it hasnt been released...but lets just say that I already knew Ash would get a Naetle ;X

Gravy
5th October 2006, 11:45 PM
OH. MY. HOLY.SOCK. BASKET!
Pottashi looks freaking AWESOME! Oh GOD, it's like Combusken mrk. 2 or something! Jebus effing christ, Hikari's penguin needs to grow up and evolve in that water 'shamo ASAP! So freakin' adorable! ~^.^~

That was easily the best part of this episode.

Masukippa can try to be Victreebel, but without the ear-splitting scream, it'll never come close.

charizardfan
6th October 2006, 12:01 AM
Pottashi looks freaking AWESOME! Oh GOD, it's like Combusken mrk. 2 or something! Jebus effing christ, Hikari's penguin needs to grow up and evolve in that water 'shamo ASAP! So freakin' adorable! ~^.^~

That was easily the best part of this episode.

Masukippa can try to be Victreebel, but without the ear-splitting scream, it'll never come close.

Good, I hated Victreebel...

Thores
6th October 2006, 12:01 AM
So it appears that Subomi uses some attacks that are new to the 4th Gen... can anybody tell what they are and perhaps what they do?

spacefissure
6th October 2006, 12:09 AM
Finally! Pikachu wins its first official battle in Shinou. I feel so proud. I didn't expect to see Pottashi though. That was a nice bonus. Although I was a bit dissapointed at how predictable this episode was, with Pochama losing and all.

CyberCubed
6th October 2006, 12:11 AM
Hikari and Ash getting into a fight complete with Brock telling them to knock it off reminds me of Misty.

Hikari, hello? You're the girl who wanted to travel with Ash/Brock in the first place, if you can't stand Ash already, why not travel by yourself like you were originally planning on doing? Hikari traveling with them in the first place makes little sense, unlike May, who basically needed to learn from Ash to get anywhere.

The rest of the episode looks fairly good, but the D/P saga so far does give me an AG vibe. At least the D/P saga isn't any worse than AG, but it's certainly not any better either. It's a consistent quality but it needs some originality.

I guess this basically proves that the D/P saga will stick to the same formula we had for years, ah well.

ghost master
6th October 2006, 12:20 AM
Having seen the episode...
So it appears that Hikari is trying to catch the bunny poke again. Ash tries to get involved and somehow when Hikari is throwing the pokeball it winds up hitting Ash. they are argueing. Pocchama is upset that the bunny runs away. They are still argueing and then Brock yells at both of them and the light gives way to subomi. They meet up with Naoshi. Hikari and Naoshi battle, Hikari loses. They are walking back and Brock introduces Bonsly and tells them that its his only pokemon. They meet up at the pokemon center. It isnt clear from pics but it appears Hikari looks at Brock's book to see a bunch of Nurse Joy pics and then Brock runs up and does his usual thing. Hikari talks to mom and Ash registers for the Shinou league. Random Pottashi cameo and Hikari dexes it. Naoshi actually looks like a pretty cool character. As well as an original design. He drops Subomi off at poke center. TR does some lame antic that fails miserably and Masukippa always stays attached to the side of James head. The crew and Naoshi go to a campfire. All these random pokemon appear as he plays a song. They are talking and Ash tells them about his Ho-oh sighting at the beggining of his journey and I believe Hikari recalls her emerito sighting. Pikachu battles Subomi and they are both fighting well. Subomi then evolves to Roselia. Roselia gets KO's with iron tail.

Brock seemed to have more attention than normal in AG. It may just be the beggining episodes though.

Thriller
6th October 2006, 12:22 AM
Hikari and Ash getting into a fight complete with Brock telling them to knock it off reminds me of Misty.

Hikari, hello? You're the girl who wanted to travel with Ash/Brock in the first place, if you can't stand Ash already, why not travel by yourself like you were originally planning on doing? Hikari traveling with them in the first place makes little sense, unlike May, who basically needed to learn from Ash to get anywhere.

The rest of the episode looks fairly good, but the D/P saga so far does give me an AG vibe. At least the D/P saga isn't any worse than AG, but it's certainly not any better either. It's a consistent quality but it needs some originality.

I guess this basically proves that the D/P saga will stick to the same formula we had for years, ah well.

Hey, its something different unlike everything else rehashed. Be happy with what you got.

CyberCubed
6th October 2006, 12:23 AM
It was a good episode, but nothing we haven't seen in this show before.

dannyphantomhott
6th October 2006, 12:43 AM
From what I saw I enjoyed the Hikari/Ash fighting, it did remind me of Misty/Ash a little, they faught about every thing from what it seemed from the pictures. I enjoyed it though, can't wait for next week's, why did Brock only bring one freakin Pokemon if he knows about Team Rocket? LOL.

CyberCubed
6th October 2006, 12:48 AM
why did Brock only bring one freakin Pokemon if he knows about Team Rocket? LOL.

Because Brock likes to purposely handicap himself so the heroes, (either Ash and May or Ash and Hikari) do all the battling.

Why do you think Brock always stands there like a statue as the others face off against Team Rocket instead of helping them?

The writers only having Brock bring Bonsly pretty much proves the writers consider him to be nothing more than a third wheel.

Jze0
6th October 2006, 1:36 AM
Just saw the episode and from what I saw it was ok, though it seemed a little boring. I thought the part in the begin where Hikari threw the pokeball at Ash was pretty funny, this eventually lead to them to fight for the rest of the episode. Later now they argued about where to go first, contest or gym. Not a great way to start a new relationship I have to say. Can't wait for the next.

Misawa Kaitou
6th October 2006, 2:11 AM
Hooray! Seviper, Cacnea and Dustox are in the (okay) opening!

They are staying!

Anyway, the episode was okay. All I saw was more of the same. Hopefully that will change with the coming of more episodes.

Firemaker
6th October 2006, 2:13 AM
I like the new pokedex.

After popping Team Rocket's Balloon, Ash 7 Hikari argue about Hikari's experience. HIkari is eager to show her worth as a trainer and challenges a trainer who has the Pokémon Subomi. It is Hikari's first battle with her new Pokémon, will Pochama be able to defeat Subomi despite the type disadvantage?Is the bolded part correct? The part with Team Rocket is very stupid. They can see the freaking R!!! Well, thats all my comments.

Korobooshi Kojiro
6th October 2006, 2:25 AM
Their is that wascly wabbit again!

Kabuto
6th October 2006, 2:40 AM
Decent episode but nothing special. At least we got a good battle. I miss Sceptile :(.

Korobooshi Kojiro
6th October 2006, 2:41 AM
OH!

And.....KOROBOOSHI(S)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Almighty Zard
6th October 2006, 2:44 AM
At least we got a good battle.

The only complaint i have about the battle is Mukkuru should've been the one fighting to TAKE VENGENCE FOR TAILOW LOOSING TO ROSELIA LONG AGO!!!!!!!

Funny thing is i expected this episode to focus on Hikari more, which didn't happen, heck Ash's battle was longer than hers it seems, and at least unlike Nicholai we got to see the battle end.

Bliksem
6th October 2006, 3:03 AM
I dislike that Ash basically came in at the end and randomly beats the Roselia. It's kinda like saying "Haha, Hikari, you suck!" I swear, she's lost so much in these first few matches. Oh well. Seeing the pictures, I can't say anything special about this. I pray that the attack Subomi used was either Absorb, Mega Drain or Giga Drain. It'd be the first time the attack was seen. Pikachu's use here was unnecessary. It's still not battling up to par. At least Mukkuru got some screentime. But eh, this seemed like a boring filler. I'll watch it, but the most entertaining thing is the new opening. THAT is kickbutt. I hope Ash is the one to catch Buoysel, as that thing is just beyond cute.

Final thoughts: Good animation from what I see so far, but rather boring. You'd think after a few seasons, Ash would've learned about Team Rocket's disguises. I hate to think he's that dumb.

Kabuto
6th October 2006, 3:05 AM
Well she is a beginner while Ash is experienced.

CyberCubed
6th October 2006, 3:06 AM
I dislike that Ash basically came in at the end and randomly beats the Roselia. It's kinda like saying "Haha, Hikari, you suck!" I swear, she's lost so much in these first few matches.

Considering she's a newbie and she fights with Ash in this ep because of her inflated ego, it makes much more sense for her to lose.

I like the fact that Hikari thinks she knows what she's doing but she's still incompetent, it makes watching her losses a lot of fun. Reminds me of watching May's learning curves and all her blunders in early Hoenn.

Newbie trainers are always fun to watch, (a main reason people prefer Kanto Ash over Ash now), and I'm glad to see Hikari have some major losses and screw ups.

Here's hoping Hikari loses her first Contest too, but if her rival debuts in that ep, than her loss is a given anyway.

Almighty Zard
6th October 2006, 3:08 AM
I hope Ash is the one to catch Buoysel, as that thing is just beyond cute.

getting off topic for a moment i don't think you have to worry about that, Buoysel is the only water type other than poochama this gen that can fight on land, guess what that means.

You'd think after a few seasons, Ash would've learned about Team Rocket's disguises. I hate to think he's that dumb.

He is only dumb because the writers made him that way, of course everytime he goes into battle he get's his game face on and kicks butt, except when ghosts come his way>_>

Geodude
6th October 2006, 3:15 AM
I pray that the attack Subomi used was either Absorb, Mega Drain or Giga Drain. It'd be the first time the attack was seen.
It was indeed the LONG-awaited debut of Mega Drain. Roselia also used Sunny Day. First time we've seen that too.

Korobooshi Kojiro
6th October 2006, 3:25 AM
Too bad we won't get to see this in action...............

C.J. Ray
6th October 2006, 4:23 AM
It was indeed the LONG-awaited debut of Mega Drain. Roselia also used Sunny Day. First time we've seen that too.

Actually, Sunkern used that in the episode "Moving Pictures", way back in Johto. This is the second time Sunny Day is used in the anime.

MidnightScott
6th October 2006, 4:42 AM
Considering she's a newbie and she fights with Ash in this ep because of her inflated ego, it makes much more sense for her to lose.

I like the fact that Hikari thinks she knows what she's doing but she's still incompetent, it makes watching her losses a lot of fun. Reminds me of watching May's learning curves and all her blunders in early Hoenn.

Newbie trainers are always fun to watch, (a main reason people prefer Kanto Ash over Ash now), and I'm glad to see Hikari have some major losses and screw ups.

Here's hoping Hikari loses her first Contest too, but if her rival debuts in that ep, than her loss is a given anyway.

I have a feeling that May will always be your girl then, xD - I'll edit my post after I watch the episode so :D

Bliksem
6th October 2006, 5:02 AM

I don't have a problem with Hikari's losing. By all means, have her lose six more times. Seeing Pocchama faint is amusing. But Pikachu honestly did not need to fight. Mukkuru needs some redemption; at least Pidgeotto got to beat up a Weedle before its first loss.

Magical Needle Smash
6th October 2006, 6:40 AM
They were arguing due to what happened during Hikari's botched attempt at a capture, but that was only at the beginning. After they got to the Pokemon Center and ran into Naoshi, Nurse Joy told them how he was conflicted about whether to go for the Shinou League or the Grand Festival, because he had an interest in both.

Naturally, Satoshi thought he should challenge Gyms, and Hikari thought he should go for Contests. They each decided to try and convince him, so they went off to search for him. In the end, after the battle with Pikachu, Naoshi said he decided to go for both challenges. If the writers end up liking him enough, we may see him in the future.

Also, I could see Hkari's loss happening just as easily to Satoshi if the writers wanted it that way. She lost because she didn't take Sunny Day's effects into account and chose to dash in while she thought Solar Beam was charging. Of course, Sunny Day shortens its charge time, so she was caught completely off-guard.

Bliksem
6th October 2006, 7:24 AM
I hope we see him again. That guy was REALLY cute.

Anyways, did anyone notice Mukkuru's expression? It looks really down! First a loss, then a failure to find someone? At least Tailow had some time out of his ball, but Mukkuru's just having a bad time.

EDIT: OH FOR GOD'S SAKE!! THE 'R' IS SHOWING!! THE 'R' IS SHOWING!!! Honestly, anime characters are so BLIND!

EDIT2: That Mega Drain was INCREDIBLE!! Even better than I visualized.

The Flat World
6th October 2006, 7:31 AM
I thought it was kinda funny that he was wearing all that cool cape and hat while having that mysterious aura around him, when all he had was a mere, cutesy-looking Subomi. You'd think a guy looking like that would at least have a Dusclops or an Absol.

Crimsonmon
6th October 2006, 2:28 PM
So it appears that Subomi uses some attacks that are new to the 4th Gen... can anybody tell what they are and perhaps what they do?

There wasn't any new ones. Subomi used Bullet Seed, Solar Beam and Mega Drain. Then Sunny Day after it evolved.

tee tee
6th October 2006, 4:48 PM
is it on youtube yet?

Ashy Boy
6th October 2006, 7:04 PM
The reason why Ash was arrogant towards Hikari was probably because he was reeling from the insults that Shinji said about him in the last ep.

Weav-vile
6th October 2006, 7:32 PM
Awesome episode... Only thing I didn't like is Brock being total speechless in that moment they are talking about the legendaries they've seen. :/
I mean, what's his porpose in this new series? He's so useless... -_-

FireHead Hank
6th October 2006, 7:44 PM
I dont like those episodes at the beginning of a saga(except Gym Battles), because there are kind of boring. But seeing Subomi evolve was nice.

Weav-vile
6th October 2006, 7:47 PM
Actually Subomi's Mega Drain was even better... :p
Just my opinion, of course...

diablohuman
6th October 2006, 8:15 PM
How does Ash still fail to reconise team rocket still? How many talking meouths are there? And you could see the "r" logo. Great effect's in the fight though, poor roselia losing as soon as it's evolved. lol.

Weav-vile
6th October 2006, 8:18 PM
Yeah, it was really ridiculous Ash don't reconising TR AGAIN. They could at least use better clothes to fool Ash and co.! :p

S.Suikun
6th October 2006, 9:14 PM
It's kinda depressing when I'm more interested in the background music than the plot itself. We got a mix of what I believe was the DP gym battle theme, in addition to the regular battle theme.

But now having a Roselia means almost nothing when it comes to possibly seeing this guy again.

Tamerwoody
6th October 2006, 9:18 PM
good episode! I loved it. (as you can see in my sig).
I enjoyed the new opening, and its still kind of weird not having Ash as #1. you know?

Yoko
6th October 2006, 9:35 PM
Probably the weakest of the first four episodes, but still pretty good. I love the rich colours and the animations. I havent actually seen Pokemon since the Kanto season so it's all very refreshing to me.

The opening theme song is so-so.

Ash6K
6th October 2006, 9:40 PM
That Mega Drain was awesome to see. I liked this episode. It's not a favorite of mine but I still liked seeing it. Sad thing that Ash couldn't recongnize TR...again!

CyberCubed
6th October 2006, 10:12 PM
Well, it's pretty obvious that Poochama will evolve sometime in the future after watching this ep.

I hope it doesn't for a while though, Poochama is hella cute and unlike Torchic, it can actually battle.

Although as Gravy noted, they sure aren't going to hide the fact that its evolved form will probably turn into a Water-Combusken durng battle. With how similiar her starter is, thank god she didn't capture a bug type as her second.

Sushi
6th October 2006, 10:21 PM
Not a bad episode, if only for the good dialogue and the music, rather than plot and animation.

Although I kinda like Naoshi too. His voice sounds so peaceful~ And seeing someone being torn between competing in Gyms and entering Contests was interesting - I liked how Hikari and Ash tried to convert him to follow their respective quests.

Speaking of which, I liked the fighting between Ash and Hikari. While the thing about Ash copying the other one's lines in a mocking way is the same he did with May, their fighting is different as it's divided into small periods where they bicker a little, while in case with Ash and May, they both took it to the extreme by expressing their hate for each other for nearly the entire episode. Meh, I guess that's because they barely ever fought and Ash and Hikari will probably do that more often, seeing how the bickering bit is even mentioned in Hikari's Bio on TV Tokyo's site.

The art style was ...odd. Not necessarily bad the entire time, but there were several sequences where the characters just looked downright off. Roselia's pumpkin-shaped head freaked me out, for instance.

CyberCubed
6th October 2006, 10:27 PM
And seeing someone being torn between competing in Gyms and entering Contests was interesting - I liked how Hikari and Ash tried to convert him to follow their respective quests.

Ugh, this is the kind of episode where you're hit with the realization that May would have done the exact same thing. May would have surely tried to convince the guy to do Contests just like Hikari.

This filler could have been set in Hoenn or Battle Frontier and you'd basically have the same outcome. (aside from the D/P Pokes, of course)

Zoramon089
6th October 2006, 10:40 PM
The next episode looks awesome though

Geodude
6th October 2006, 10:57 PM
I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet, but when Brock said that he'd left all his Pokemon except Bonsly back home, Ash explained to Hikari that Brock used to be the Gym Leader in Pewter City, and Hikari was pretty impressed. :)

Lee-san
6th October 2006, 11:01 PM
Well, I'm glad Pikachu wiped the floor with Roselia, needed that after tieing with Elekid ;p
Otherwise, the episode was pretty much standard, nothing to get excited about.

Ash6K
6th October 2006, 11:07 PM
I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet, but when Brock said that he'd left all his Pokemon except Bonsly back home, Ash explained to Hikari that Brock used to be the Gym Leader in Pewter City, and Hikari was pretty impressed. :)

If this episode referenced Brock's status as former gym leader, then I wonder how Hikari will react to Misty, Gary, and May if Ash mentions them to her (or at least Hikari seeing Misty and Gary in person)?

I need to mention how the Mega Drain in this episode looks awesome. I just love it and hope that Ash could teach it to one of his grass types.

Geodude
6th October 2006, 11:20 PM
And if Mega Drain looks that good, Giga Drain would probably look even better.

Gravy
6th October 2006, 11:24 PM
Although as Gravy noted, they sure aren't going to hide the fact that its evolved form will probably turn into a Water-Combusken durng battle. With how similiar her starter is, thank god she didn't capture a bug type as her second.
That's not what I was getting at at all. The similarities are only evident in their appearence, and even then it's pretty vague. Like how both pokémon have this constant scowl and those strong looking upper appendages.
Otherwise, their body structures are much too different for them to be duplicates battle-wise. Potashi looks like more of a brute-strength fighter able to throw it's weight around, as opposed to Combusken, who relied on a more fleet-of-foot fighting style.
I guess one has to be a Combusken fanboy to truely understand these things ^^;

Pika Hikari KT
6th October 2006, 11:28 PM
I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet, but when Brock said that he'd left all his Pokemon except Bonsly back home, Ash explained to Hikari that Brock used to be the Gym Leader in Pewter City, and Hikari was pretty impressed.
You know, upon seeing the episode, I WAS going to mention it...leave it to you to beat us to the punch.:p

And Brock should've spoken up in the Legendary discussion--remember when they saw Suicune at the start of Johto? That would've made for a pretty redone scene.^^

Tapatio
7th October 2006, 12:37 AM
Imagine if Satoshi had deepened more in the subject of the legendary ones:

Satoshi: "Yeah, I saw to Ho-oh the first time I left my town... Oh yeah, I met with Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Rayquaza, Manaphy, I was killed by Mewtwo, I mounted Lugia to save the world of Moltres, Zapdos and Articuno, Latias falled in love with me, I battled Regirock, Registeel, Regice and Articuno, defeating the last two, and... I think that's all ^^"

Hikari: O_o

Blaziken Trainer
7th October 2006, 12:40 AM

Satoshi: "Yeah, I saw to Ho-oh the first time I left my town... Oh yeah, I met with Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Rayquaza, Manaphy, I was killed by Mewtwo, I mounted Lugia to save the world of Moltres, Zapdos and Articuno, Latias falled in love with me, I battled Regirock, Registeel, Regice and Articuno, defeating the last two, and... I think that's all ^^"

That would be very funny. I would have loved to see that.

CyberCubed
7th October 2006, 12:59 AM

LOL! That would be hilarious.

Ah, thanks for the laugh, man, I needed that. :D

GreenKirby
7th October 2006, 1:58 AM
That was one cool episode. Hikari keeps getting better and better.

Weav-vile
7th October 2006, 3:13 AM

LMAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOO! >D
I think they need you on ther team... :p

Umi Mizuno
7th October 2006, 3:38 AM
Who the hell were the animators for this epsiode? O_o Everything was all freaky, almost worst then the the first 3 eps.

Well anyway, it was a pretty ok episode, the only part I really payed attention to is this one:

http://i12.*******.com/4dzcjma.gif

Freakin win, but what's up with the pokeball hitting everyone's head? First Mukkuru now Ash?

psy455
7th October 2006, 5:22 AM
Who the hell were the animators for this epsiode? O_o Everything was all freaky, almost worst then the the first 3 eps.

Well anyway, it was a pretty ok episode, the only part I really payed attention to is this one:

Freakin win, but what's up with the pokeball hitting everyone's head? First Mukkuru now Ash?

I love that one too *saved* *_*

Cobalt_Latios
7th October 2006, 5:46 AM
Why do i feel as if the writers for this season actually decided to check up on the metagame before writing some of these episodes? Well, Sunnybeaming anyone?

It seems that all the new trainers find it hard to believe that all the Joy's look exactly the same. Although to add comedy, they only give Brock the blatant ability to tell them apart. What a concept.(And why is that Brock has that damn picture of all the Joys? More importantly, where did he get it??)

And Hikari is still quite shocked of Brock's main ability. A very annoying one at that. I sincerely hope that somewhere along this series, Hikari will start to take over Misty's role.

Yeah, Ash get's instated to the Shinou League. And yet also get our first look at Pocchama's evloved form, Pottashi(forgot the name until Hikari blurted it out).

Here we go again ;rolleyes; the contest/battle scuffle between May and Ash gets repeated... this time at a much, much earlier time.

You know Ash and co. are dumb when all it takes is a small coat and glasses to fool them. Also, wouldnt they suspect anything with Meowth?? Oh, wait, this is Pokemon. I suppose after 9 seasons you'd expect them to be fooled a little less easily.

LOL, supreme backfire on Team Rocket's part. And when the facade fell, it was in CG. After trying out the english version of the new motto in time with the japanese one, i cant help but think they reverted to their older one.

Also, funny how Masukippa attacks James long enough for it to be scanned.

Ouch, all it takes is a Bullet Seed attack to send them flying. Guess they must of lost a lot of weight!

They really are playing the music from the eighth movie alot in this new season. I wonder what's up with that?

Korobooshi makes its first appearance. Lol, crickets chirping at night.

I wonder, how come Ash get's to see Ho-oh, and Hikari gets to see Emuritto. There must be some form of great significance there.

I just noticed this, the guys harp/lyre looks like a Mew!

OMG, we actually get to see what Mega Drain looks like for the first time! I always wondered wha that attack would of looked like. And why is it that for some reason, almost everytime Ash battles someone, that there is a good chance that one of their pokemon will evolve. It's also very easy to predict when the use of Iron Tail will be.

Not a bad episode. It's turning out pretty good. I really want Hikari to do that 'ear pulling' thing soon. Then again, Max didnt do it till after he say Misty try it. Who knows...

The Benmeister
7th October 2006, 10:38 AM
Meh, this episode lacked something in my opinion. Animation didn't do it much glory, either. It was okay, I suppose, but it's one of those episodes where nothing much happened. At least Pikachu redeemed itself.

gamefreak5034
7th October 2006, 11:47 AM
I HAVE NEVER SEEN WORSE ANIMATION IN ANY OTHER FREAKIN EPISODE, indigo league was much better, what the hell happened? How the animeall of a sudden look worse than it did many years ago

The Big Al
7th October 2006, 12:02 PM
That clip reminds me of the clip headbutting incident at the world cup that circulated the internet.

So, no one pulled on Brock's ear, they just let him do his thing.

Cherimu Dude
7th October 2006, 12:03 PM
boring episode,
some ugly guy with a harp wooo
Hikari and Ash fight
TR make a cameo appearance
Brock fell in love again...grr thats annoying
there wasnt much plot development except registering for league/contest

Hikari didnt even catch the Mini-Rabbit thing, but its obvious she does in a later episode coz the pokemons in the title song, her rival looks amazing btw.

Didnt even realise the harp was a Mew (doh!)

EDIT: do nurse joys always have different coloured hats? never noticed

Gravy
7th October 2006, 12:08 PM
I HAVE NEVER SEEN WORSE ANIMATION IN ANY OTHER FREAKIN EPISODE
You really haven't been paying much attention, have you?

Wind Waker
7th October 2006, 12:58 PM
Ash's eyes were a bit off but i really liked the way subomi/roselia/mega drain were animated.

It didn't feel like a filler to me. I'm still in that sort of "new things excited mood". So it was a basic episode looking back but that doesn't mean it was enjoyable. I hope that guy returns, for a rematch with Hikari.

gamefreak5034
7th October 2006, 1:56 PM
You really haven't been paying much attention, have you?

If you mean have i paid any attention to other episodes i have, what i said was exaggeration

If you meant did i pay attention to other posts on the animation, then no i didnt read them

Jo-Jo
7th October 2006, 1:57 PM
That Roselia had a really sucky voice.

I MISS DREW. ;_;

That aside, this ep was... okay-ish, not that gripping. I have no enthusiasm for the prospect of Ash and Hikari bickering all the time, which is strange because I normally like that kind of thing. Maybe it's because by the time we'd reached the third round of "GYM-O!" "CONTEST-O!" I wanted to bang their heads together. May and Drew's sparring matches were so much more sophisticated... and Ash and Misty's were funnier, too. Though that could be because I could understand what they were saying. ;)

Hikari smacking Ash in the face with a Poke-ball was teh win, though.

Did Naori decide to go in for both gyms and contests in the end? Wow, he's going to be busy.

Crystal Mewtwo
7th October 2006, 3:07 PM
Hikari is a May's clone. Look at her; she acts a lot like May, she isn't original and she even has similar voice. She is a clone! When I look at her, I see May! They could do more original character, someone who is shy and calm, someone who would be like that dude with Subomi, but nooo... they put next May to the show =.= I won't miss May, she still is in the anime, only in new body :p

The battle between Subomi and Pikachu was cool. Pikachu won, and I'm glad. Ash isn't bad battler only is little obsessed XD

Nice ending and opening. Hikari is in the center XD but I don't see her as the greatest. Like I said, she isn't original.

Flamez
7th October 2006, 4:09 PM
Seen the episode. It was pretty good.
Hikari throwing the pokeball at Ash was definitely the highlight. :)

Hikari lost (not surprised) but she did know what she was doing. I think she mentions that since Subomi is a grass type, Peck attack will give her an advantage and thats why she starts off with that. Its good to see that She has Poochama jump out of the way when Subomi uses bulletseed. She needs to improve but she knows more then what Ash and May knew.

Pikachu's battle was good. Mega Drain was friggin nice.
Naoshi was a pretty good character I wouldn't mind seeing him again.
The animation was not the greatest but overall a good episode.

TheMoonman
7th October 2006, 4:24 PM
If you don't mind me asking, where are you all watching this episode?

CyberCubed
7th October 2006, 5:19 PM
On the tube, of course!

I think the animation killed the episode. Hikari's body looked warped in a number of shots.

Eh, I don't really like the direction we're going with Hikari's character. She thinks she knows better than Ash and fights with him...but...SHE was the one who wanted to travel with Ash in the first place! Why doesn't she just strike out on her own like she originally planned to if she doesn't get along with Ash?

Not only are the writers contradicting themselves from the end of AG, (why would Hikari pay any less attention to Ash's battle skills than May did?), but Hikari is just repeating the same exact arguments May went through.

The Big Al
7th October 2006, 5:44 PM
Perhaps it's all an act. And besides, strength in numbers.

Satoshi
7th October 2006, 8:35 PM
I finally got around to seeing the episode.

Heh, it seems so long since we have had two characters have an arguement with each other (the first one since, "Tag Battle! Satoshi VS. Haruka!?"?), or any kind of entertaining/ammusing interaction between two human characters, in my opinion. Unfortunately though, it looks like it will only last for this episode...

Seems that in the second episode, we know that Hikari knows what to do, but being inexperienced - she still manages to make slip-ups (it would be boring if she was a perfect trainer if you take that into consideration, really). She also lost the battle due to inexperience, even though she knew what she was doing (she used Peck, knowing that Peck had a type advantage over Subomi, making it effective. We NEVER saw that when Satoshi and Haruka were beginning trainers). Of course, Satoshi comes in at the end and defeats Naoshi (the Mega Drain Subomi used against Pikachu looks pretty cool in this episode).

The Monster Ball being thrown at Satoshi's face was a winner. :D

Well, we see Subomi evolve into a Roselia, the first evolution we see in the new series. I hope we see Naoshi again, I liked his character: calm, cool, and collected (also note: he had a Mew harp). I hope he wasn't just a filler character in a non-filler episode (Samurai was...we never saw him again unfortunately ;;).

I personally found it funny that Hikari wasn't all that suprised when Satoshi mentions that he saw Houou (maybe because she saw a legendary Pokemon, Emuritto, at the beginning of her journey? But still...She should've been a little suprised), but when he mentions that Takeshi used to be the Nibi Gym Leader, she was all like "OMGZ!SUGOI!11". :P

Now, I'm just wondering when Hikari will catch Mimirol, since she failed to catch one in this episode. Overall, pretty decent episode.

Not only are the writers contradicting themselves from the end of AG, (why would Hikari pay any less attention to Ash's battle skills than May did?), but Hikari is just repeating the same exact arguments May went through.???

If I remember corectly, Haruka hardly argued with Satoshi about those kinds of things when she was starting out (heck, Satoshi hardly argued with Haruka almost all of AG, sans the biggest arguement they had, which was in "Tag Battle! Satoshi vs. Haruka!?)". Unless you were getting at something else and I misunderstood.

Hikari is a May's clone.
Because she does Contests! How dare she!

Look at her; she acts a lot like May,
Um, how? The only thing that's remotely similar about Hikari and Haruka is that they're both somewhat girly-girl and that they both want to be Top Coordinator. Hikari, unlike Haruka, is a lot more peppy and enthusiastic.

she isn't original
Well, almost all the characters in the anime aren't original, because they're all based on game characters. :0

and she even has similar voice.
Let's compare a seiyuu's protrayal of a character in a language we hardly even know!

She is a clone! When I look at her, I see May! They could do more original character, someone who is shy and calm, someone who would be like that dude with Subomi, but nooo... they put next May to the show =.= I won't miss May, she still is in the anime, only in new bodyUgh, I'm not even gonna bother, that whole last portion didn't make any sense....

I HAVE NEVER SEEN WORSE ANIMATION IN ANY OTHER FREAKIN EPISODEYou really haven't been paying much attention, have you?
Winnar. :P

ghost master
7th October 2006, 8:56 PM
Heh, it seems so long since we have had two characters have an arguement with each other (the first one since, "Tag Battle! Satoshi VS. Haruka!?"?), or any kind of entertaining/ammusing interaction between two human characters, in my opinion. Unfortunately though, it looks like it will only last for this episode... Actually in her bio at the TVTokyo site it mentions the fact that she bickers with Ash according to Sushi. So its likely she still will have more disagreements with Ash but probally not as many as Misty did.

I hope he wasn't just a filler character in a non-filler episode (Samurai was...we never saw him again unfortunately ;;).

I hope so too. He was pretty cool. He reminded me very much of the 2nd gym leader especially because his star pokemon is a grass type just like the 2nd gym leaders type. I wouldnt be suprised if they made him have a relation to the 2nd gym leader.

Zoramon089
8th October 2006, 1:47 AM
Samurai was much cooler though. Metapod vs Metapod FTW!

TheBuddyBud
8th October 2006, 2:54 AM
wow, pikachu beat roselia soo easily

SOS! Its Not Healthy..
8th October 2006, 5:15 AM
I saw the episode recently, and its a bit different what I expected, but it was all right. Weakest of the DP episodes so far.

What I picked up it was more like contests vs. gym battles. Which is better? I didn't really get what the caped guy was saying about them, but what I get the idea what the episode was about. Too much dialogue.

But as I know, Hikari is stubborn just like Ash, who gonna fight that she is RIGHT! Funny how she knows but can't physically do it. But as others mentioned,

"clip of the week": Hikari throwing the Poke Ball right on Ash, and knockin him down! LOL That was funny! Hope she does that again!

ハルカ and ゴンベ
8th October 2006, 5:50 AM
I saw the episode recently, and its a bit different what I expected, but it was all right. Weakest of the DP episodes so far.

Are you absolutly insane? This had to have been one of the best episodes I have ever seen!

I think everything about this episode was great, But, My favorite scene was the campfire scene with all the musical pokemon, I couldn't help but smile when I saw that. Takeshi shows us that Usohachi is in fact alive! Pocchama gets beat down by Solar Beam. Pikachu gets hit by what I believe is the first Mega Drain in the anime (and it's animation was AWESOME), Subomi's evolution, and Pikachu getting it's first Shinou win.Satoshi getting smacked in the fact with a Monster Ball, What is not to like about this episode?

It gets a 10/10 from me.

EDIT: Did anyone else notice that in the beginning Satoshi sounds like he's going through puberty? His voice is all squeaky...>>

KuwabaraTheMan
8th October 2006, 8:46 AM
Good episode. Naoshi was a cool character, in my opinion. Having Kazuya Nakai voicing him certainly helped.

Hikari is getting interesting, and are those the worst ever Rocket Gang disguises or what? You could still see their uniforms completely with the "R"s in plain view!

S_P
8th October 2006, 9:25 AM
Hm, well I would say this episode was subpar to the debut. Usually only the debut seems to be good, then there's a dropoff, then there are bypassable episodes, with a select few good to watch inbetween.

+ Mega Drain. Monster ball hit. Bickering. Pokemon incorporation.

- Distorted figures. Character incorporation. Several oddities.

Naoshi as filler was interesting (or maybe he'll be recurring). As a non-main character, there was good incorporation and no significant imbalance. He wasn't cheesy either.

Even though Hikari was smart enough to figure out that peck would be super effective on grass types, in the anime it is a terrible choice because it forces the user to charge into the opponent. (This was different than Nagi using peck, which was done after the distance was closed, and after Oosubame lost flight control). Seriously, going with bubblekousen would have been much better. Unless they suddenly throw in grass types absorbing the water or something, explosive bubbles seem the way to start the battle.

Then again with Pikachu winning with Iron Tail (and Thunderbolt being really effective in terms of net damage), it further applies that "level" or "experience" or "strength" probably is much better than a peck that forces a melee condition (and peck is also weak offensively that it probably never finishes the opponent either). Obviously both steel and electric attacks are not very effective, but no it was really useful if not too useful.

So so far, Pikachu is imbalanced in the sense that Iron Tail is one hit KOing things (particularly baby classified pokemon). (Okay fine, it one hit KO'd Pochama with Thunderbolt)

If Mega Drain was that good (it's not straightforward, doesn't look dodgeable, fires quickly, recovers a lot, and looks like it's homing too!) ... then Giga Drain is like more flashing (note in-game animation) with 1.5x power ... but what makes me interested is how Absorb would be half as good xP (and it's terrible in-game).

The bickering was at a fair level. Though, D/P tends to have lots of exaggerations to things. It's a nice concept but also rather pointless. And yes, bickering with Haruka in AG was actually less frequent by a large amount since Haruka is not one that even has a tendency to argue (and it's not preferences either. Haruka's context of arguments were more of personal tastes, but Hikari's seems to be of flaws or something different)

Hikari going straight for the Grand Festival doesn't make sense. It explains the contest intent, but it doesn't explain the decision to not go for gyms. Seriously, go dual! Obviously dual will never happen with a main character due to role specialisation, but at least Hikari has more battle intent than Haruka. If Hikari doesn't implement some kind of kickass system to contests that is new and tasteful, then her route would indeed be a disappointment. Unfortunately contests is also the component that can break her character. With components of this episode, concern should arise.

Pochama having that super low move pool of three attacks is quite limiting. Hikari really needs a secondary pokemon.

And yes I'd agree that Hikari's condition to join travelling wasn't really 100% sure thing. Then again, that occured for both Kasumi and Haruka, so thinking that makes it less bothersome. And no, Haruka did not need Satoshi. Travelling with Satoshi simply makes travelling more convenient and results in new possibilities in what can be learned during travels.

Pokemon still are being incorporated well. Though, obviously this was not a showcasing episode. Since that has not started to brew, I am not bothered by it yet. So, D/P has yet to have the giant flaw that both mid-Jouto and mid-Houen had. To avoid D/P having excess amounts of that, throw in TG XD

Distorted figures only applies to sometimes weird drawings in the sense that the characters look out of proportion.

Obviously Hikari has components that could be considered similar enough to Haruka and Kasumi, but never enough effect to be specifically a rehash of either. An obvious difference is calling the professor or mom, which the other girls I believe did not really do (and if they did, not that often).

The group effect didn't seem that strong either. Takeshi being support is normal, Satoshi being Satoshi is normal. However, aside from the bickering, having the characters around at the same time doesn't seem very meaningful.

A lot of context in the episode also felt somewhat redundant.

Pokemon using their pokemon cry (or saying their name) I don't recall occured that often while being returned (under something disappointing like a loss or a failure to find something). It's like they're speaking while being returned, sort of like an interruption, haha. Kind of depressing (but good in the sense that you do sense the sadness, I guess)

I also guess that the only way to make Hikari flawed is either by indirect "nerfing" or just mistake prone. Haruka's flaw in battle was being blank. Shrug, I prefer a flaw that's more creative (I can't recall all the Kantou Satoshi flaws though, but some of those were better).

Since Hikari is running the group effect, you get less of the ditsy component, so this episode had like no chance of things like slipping off the road, sliding down a small hill, running over a rock, not watching the road, or ninja evasion.

Hikari also wasn't as physical as her debut, though I suppose only her debut could contain so much of it reasonably. There is almost no need to apply any anime faces, any Pochama bickering, or any rapid movement. Nearly all of Hikari's debut abilities are non-existant in episode four due to the group and group incorporation effect. This I find this a tremendous weakness.

Oh but the music is D/P is very nice! Opening I suppose was good, and the ending was really good (doesn't seem fitting for this episode though, but it was very fitting for the debut ... well the 3rd episode end of it). Music score within episode felt like a definite plus too.

Yes, the flaws of the implementation of Hikari start to brew. Her independent effect I thought was much, much better. Her group effect seems subpar to that of Kantou Kasumi. Haruka's implementation had more of a needs effect, but wasn't too much different.

Perhaps I'll look into a different episode when it comes out.

I do like how there are larger sequences of events. Even though the episode title was all about Hikari's first battle, it still incorporated several different things. Though, it wasn't as rapid fire as the debut.

D/P definitely has a different feel (until semi-reshashing events occur), but sometimes it feels really distorted too. It ignored quite a lot of things. It was like there's nicer music score and better incorporation of things, but there didn't seem to be a large strength in plot. It feels like a mix of many different things that did not necessarily correlate to one another.

Eh, currently the group effect seems awkward. That's what I think for the most part.

EDIT: Is it me, or has the rocket gang so far for the most part "self destruct"? In the debut, the ballon explosion was self caused. The mech destruction was also self caused. This time, the wind blew the cover off naturally, but it was not caused by the main characters. They've been blasted off for a total of like two times, but the ruining of their plan was never caused by their opposition.

Medea
8th October 2006, 11:59 AM
Saw the episode a couple of days ago and for the most part it was pretty good.

Seeing Ash and Hikari fight like that...Okay it kinda brought back some memories of the good old days of Ash/Misty/Brock in Kanto. Ash just can't seem to get along with any females that go with him on his journey. But somehow, I remember Ash was a little more considerate with May's Contests and I only remember one fight between Ash and May about if they should go to the gym or the contest. With Ash and Hikari, it just jumped right into things kinda early. Let's see, oh yeah, Subomi was just so adorable! Now when it evolved into Roselia...Well, I felt kinda strange at that point. Now the reason for that is because I'm so used to seeing Drew if I see Roselia and I do like Drew.

Well, tis' all for now!

terrova
8th October 2006, 7:15 PM
www.freewebs.com/lucariomaster/

all poke fans from lithuania go there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

raticatelover
8th October 2006, 11:39 PM
Good episode. Naoshi was a cool character, in my opinion. Having Kazuya Nakai voicing him certainly helped.

Hikari is getting interesting, and are those the worst ever Rocket Gang disguises or what? You could still see their uniforms completely with the "R"s in plain view!

Do be fair, it is fairly hard to tell if a person is a new character. They could just look extremely like them, even if they do have the R right there. Some examples are Jessebelle and Shinji.

Geodude
9th October 2006, 12:46 AM
Obviously both steel and electric attacks are not very effective, but no it was really useful if not too useful.
Gotta correct you there, Steel attacks do normal damage to both Grass and Poison types, so Iron Tail does normal damage to Roselia.

Satoshi
9th October 2006, 12:57 AM
Forgot to mention that Hikari's "Charm On!" (?) when she called out her Pokemon was pretty cute. Obviously her equivalent of "Stage On!".

S_P
9th October 2006, 3:12 AM
Gotta correct you there, Steel attacks do normal damage to both Grass and Poison types, so Iron Tail does normal damage to Roselia.

I'm getting extremely rusty then. I keep thinking "Steel not effective against every element prior to Ice value." Then I forget Grass doesn't apply, as it is not even an element. Poison I knew, but grass I definitely forgot. Yeah that makes sense, it was blank (N), x (F), x (W), x (E), blank (G, forgot), circle (I), x? (F), neutral to the rest but resist on steel and good on rock too? ... er man I forgot my weakness charts.

I probably don't use enough steel attacks in the game to remember the effectiveness on grass since I probably don't run into such circumstances.

Thanks for correcting me.

Though that still means that Iron Tail so far has been useful. :O Since the first gym leader seems to be Rock, that probably increases it's use further.

This episode also makes me wonder how do you dodge Mega Drain? When it fires, it's like a giant green swervy line (thus it's not that straightforward), and then it like is homing (well given that it is aimed at a target), it's also surprising because it was virtually never used, and then the amount it heals seems to be quite a plausible amount (whereas in the game, the return isn't good enough. Though the full recovery looked more like due to the level gap, that the sap rate of the technical hit was large in comparison ... except that in technical terms still wouldn't make sense due to higher special defense from a higher level.).

Since Mega Drain, although it's clearly a grass attack, isn't grass like, so it's not like fire appears to be able to burn it down (though I bet Mega Drain can clash with any offensive attack ... and then explode via cancel out). I can definitely see a steel type resisting it (maybe a poison one too due to the few ones that "shouldn't be absorbed" that can be applied anime-wise), but not so much a fire, flying, or bug type.

Come to think of it, this is one of the few times Satoshi actually had more of a clear cut experience or power gap. You could tell that Roselia/Subomi was at a "much lower level" than Pikachu.

I recall "Charm on!" too. What, does Hikari intend to reduce the opponent's attack by two levels? (Though, I don't remember Japanese attacks, so the charm attack name might be different than the word charm ... just like how ember was).

It's funny how the bickering was so much interesting than making up to one another. The bickering was long, extended, and frequent, but the making up was rather instantaneous (or at least much faster compared to the bickering). I didn't think Hikari's concentration could be affected so badly that she could completely reroute a monster ball throw and ending up hitting Satoshi right on the forehead (despite the fact that it seemed more of a comedic effect). Hikari still seems to have some ability contradictions, but I guess I could sum it up as a concentration or focusing weakness, being able to get sidetracked very easily and thus generate a flaw. Reasonable enough.

Doesn't look like we'll have split screens as much anymore either (or rather, multiple screens that can shift in and out).

Geodude
9th October 2006, 5:26 AM
Steel is weak offensively against only Fire, Water, Electric (the elements like you said), and Steel. It's strong offensively against Ice and Rock. Just visualize using a chisel to split apart a block of ice or a rock, and there you go.

Drew Andrews
9th October 2006, 5:38 AM
Forgot to mention that Hikari's "Charm On!" (?) when she called out her Pokemon was pretty cute. Obviously her equivalent of "Stage On!".

But May sounded better.

NES
9th October 2006, 9:46 PM
Good episode, still like a filler, but... it was alright, Hikari looks more secure about herself, and well, lost that battle because the type advantage of subomi and the xp it had (remember it evolves into Roselia after).

Hikari and Satoshi are fighting for gyms over contests?, or what will they do next?, i'm confused.

Nobody will take Takeshi away from the girls!! =O.

Geodude
9th October 2006, 10:18 PM
As has been mentioned already, they were fighting over whether the minstrel guy (name forgotten...Naoshi, was it?) should challenge the gyms or do the contests, since he had said he wasn't sure what he was going to do. In the end, he decided to do both.

PDL
9th October 2006, 11:40 PM
I thought Subomi was the most adorable thing I've ever seen, especially it's voice... too bad it evolved into a Roselia will a crap voice D:

It's only natural because both starters are one of the best starters ever.

CrimsonX
9th October 2006, 11:47 PM
yeah, if they like him enough (Naoshi I believe his name was) we might see him in future episodes.

Kreis
9th October 2006, 11:50 PM
what is that wierd move subomi used on poochama (the one that was green and swirly looking) not solar beam

[

CrimsonX
9th October 2006, 11:51 PM
uh, mega drain...

Geodude
10th October 2006, 12:11 AM
And we said that already too.

Do you people have something against reading the topic to see if your potentially obvious question was previously answered (especially now that 4 days have passed already) or what?

CrimsonX
10th October 2006, 12:12 AM
huh was that directed at me (just curious)

Kreis
10th October 2006, 12:15 AM
And we said that already too.

Do you people have something against reading the topic to see if your potentially obvious question was previously answered (especially now that 4 days have passed already) or what?

if that was directed to me then i would anwer to you by saying this
i really do have a life i really wont bother mysellf by reading every single post in this thread

Geodude
10th October 2006, 2:28 AM
huh was that directed at me (just curious)I hoped it clearly wasn't. Guess it wasn't clear...but it wasn't. (If that makes sense.) :p

if that was directed to me then i would anwer to you by saying this
i really do have a life i really wont bother mysellf by reading every single post in this thread
You and the handful of others that ask obvious questions that any use of common sense would tell you have already been answered, especially several days after the show's airing, and in a thread this size. As far as reading the thread is concerned, it would only take you several minutes at best. Not only that, you would probably find your answer even faster that way than waiting for someone to reply and potentially call you out for not bothering to read, which you should have done in the first place. Now, I'm not the mod of this forum, but I AM a mod, so understand that I'm telling you this for a reason, and that there's common sense behind it. Any more flack from you and there will be harsher consequences than a mere warning.

NES
10th October 2006, 8:28 AM
Chill out Geodude :D.

BattleFranky~40
10th October 2006, 4:32 PM
Decent episode, better than AG 4.

Also, it seems that Pochama made Peppy Hare proud, and did a barrel roll.

Squirtle_007
11th October 2006, 3:38 AM
OK, watched the episode and here´s my thoughts:

* That Satoshi/Hikari argue was really ... bland, they even apologized each other after a while
* Mega Drain´s appearence was really cool
* Team Rocket used their worst costume ever
* Pocchama is gonna evolve, CURSE YOU, HIKARI!
* Takeshi as pathetic as always
* Was really neccesary to see God Satoshi and Thor Pikachu showing Hikari´s lack of skill?
* I wanted to like Pokémon Diamond/Pearl but ... it simply doesn´t attract me in any sense, nothing new, nothing special, nothing different, I´m thinking seriously to stop watching the series ... it simply stinks

BattleFranky~40
11th October 2006, 4:11 AM
I like how you base the entire region off of 4 episodes.

Guess what? The first episodes of AG sucked. These are actually good. Sorry that Haruka is no longer on the show, but deal with it. There is NOTHING that made the AG episodes better.

CyberCubed
11th October 2006, 4:16 AM
Guess what? The first episodes of AG sucked.

Your argument is flawed with that statement alone. While the first three episode of D/P were definitely very good, the beginning of AG hardly, "sucked."

They did a pretty good job introducing May, Max, May's parents, and introducing the concept of a clueless and incompetent female heroine. It's just completely different than Hikari's spotlight.

cassius335
11th October 2006, 6:11 PM
* Was really neccesary to see God Satoshi and Thor Pikachu showing Hikari´s lack of skill?

Yes. Yes it is.

Gravy
11th October 2006, 6:42 PM
Decent episode, better than AG 4.

AG 04; It had a decent amount of humour from pretty much every character in the main cast. It featured possibly the best wild pokémon battle to ever grace the series. There was a pokémon capture. Brock actually did something worthwhile. Torchic ran directly into a boulder. And last but not least, It was animated by Iwane.

And an episode that was basically Ash and Hikari yelling 'Contesto!' and 'Jimmu!' to each other in short bursts, with some mediocre battling thrown in was better? Guh?! :/

shinigami13
11th October 2006, 6:48 PM
Can anyone tell me the name of the trainer that Hikari challanged

Satoshi
11th October 2006, 6:50 PM
Can anyone tell me the name of the trainer that Hikari challanged
His name was Naoshi.

Pika Hikari KT
12th October 2006, 4:20 AM
AG 04; It had a decent amount of humour from pretty much every character in the main cast. It featured possibly the best wild pokémon battle to ever grace the series. There was a pokémon capture. Brock actually did something worthwhile. Torchic ran directly into a boulder. And last but not least, It was animated by Iwane.
All very fine points, Gravy. It's clear that Taillow's capture pretty much beats this episode single handedly.XD

But I must admit, I loved Naoshi's Mew harp. But then, I love Mew in general.:p

shac
12th October 2006, 10:25 AM
Well, we got to live with whatever they are showing us....;444;

FullMasta
13th October 2006, 8:10 PM
I know this is a tiny bit late but... Why were Hikari and Ash arguing. I know the episode was about her proving herself...or something but what were they arguing about?

CyberCubed
13th October 2006, 8:12 PM
I know this is a tiny bit late but... Why were Hikari and Ash arguing. I know the episode was about her proving herself...or something but what were they arguing about?

"Gym battles!"

"Contests!"

"Gym battles!"

"Contests!"

"Gym battles!"

"Contests!"

"Gym battles!"

"Contests!"

Rinse and repeat. All they were arguing about was which was better and which the Ministrel should do.

Hikari and May were perfectly interchangeable in this episode, and it showed.

FullMasta
13th October 2006, 8:31 PM
Oh. That's it huh. I found it kind of strange that Ash and Hikari were arguing with each other after just an episode and a half of being together.

I don't think May and Hikari are interchangable as you say they are Cyber. I believe they have significent differences. Ash and May rarely fought. Hikari reminds me of how Misty and Ash used to fight in the days of Kanto.

Pikafan
14th October 2006, 6:24 PM
So that trainers subomi knows sunny day and mega drain the first time I seen those attacks in the aniime.

S_P
14th October 2006, 10:05 PM
Guess what? The first episodes of AG sucked. These are actually good. Sorry that Haruka is no longer on the show, but deal with it. There is NOTHING that made the AG episodes better.

Actually I thought the first episodes of AG were the only good component of the series. Comparatively, the first episodes are not entirely analogous, especially when the character focus are different.

And yes, Haruka has the capacity to bicker, but she does not have the same rate of bickering. (Only that specific Tag Battle episode comes to mind. Otherwise, I find it rare or minour compared to this episode having it extremely obvious.) Actually I find it more likely for Haruka to stop arguing already knowing that installing something like that into Satoshi's head is not going to work, if in that exact same scenario and duration. However, if you factour a new character doing that, it may be redundant, but much more likely. Even if you had put Haruka in Hikari's place, the bickering could exist, but almost none of the context of the rest of the episode would have been accurate to any degree. Haruka may be more willing to battle than at the start of her journey, but it is still nothing compared to Hikari's willingness to battle.

Either way, the mechanics are different, regardless.

I'd rather question when Pochama will learn a new attack, since it is not very offensively versatile (then again all "starting pokemon" aren't very offensively versatile anyways).

And if the words were really "Contesto" and "Jimmu", then Satoshi actually didn't say "Gym Battles". He would have implied it, but never said battle, to be more concise. Technically both have battles anyways, it's just the environment/building is different along with the rules.

I still don't really get why Hikari is established as a coordinator though (or having a goal to be a GF champion). Sure there is the family history, sure there is the automated character implementation, but based solely on what is seen so far, it would seem like battling is much more correlated rather than the performance or finesse you display in a contest.

Though I will say that the end of episode three didn't feel like it flowed right into episode four all that well. How often did we have an episode where the heroes are stationary whilst travelling? (This is not like a beach episode, where you obviously stop travelling for the duration. Then again, an episode with/on a boat would fall into such a category.)

JONNO.FRESH
17th October 2006, 10:55 AM
Meh i thought the episode was alright. It could of been better. A great 1st epi for Subomi however

Darkness Angel
21st October 2006, 11:36 AM
actually liked this eppy.

squirtleboy12
11th December 2006, 12:09 PM
poor hikari she loose.but they teach her a lesson

9/10

CyberCubed
15th December 2006, 4:09 AM
Why did people want this Ministrel to come back in a Contest? He has a Roselia, do people want a Drew redux?

Geodude
15th December 2006, 4:11 AM
Won't be if a) he catches more/different Pokemon and b) Roselia evolves.

PokeDouglas
16th February 2007, 3:31 PM
I think Subomie's cute, but Roselia is ugly.

Alastor DMc
14th March 2007, 4:07 AM
Why did people want this Ministrel to come back in a Contest? He has a Roselia, do people want a Drew redux?

From the way Ministrel looked, I assume he'll be the top coordinator at the end of the season.

WaterDragon trainer
8th June 2007, 1:08 AM
This episode was pretty good. I thought it was funny when Ash and Dawn were arguing. It was neat to see a Budew. It was kinda cool to see the Sunny Day-Solar Beam combo again. It was kinda funny when Dawn commented on Brock’s behavior to Nurse Joy. It was really cool to see a Prinplup. The Team Rocket disguise was one of the worst. I mean, their Team Rocket uniforms are showing and Meowth practically walks up to them. It was good to see a Kricketot. It was cool to see a Mega Drain in the anime (not sure if it’s been done before), although it would’ve been cooler if it was Giga Drain. It was also cool to see Budew evolve into Roselia.

Tbone2356
8th June 2007, 1:11 AM
I loved the dub of it, some nice music in it too.

The only things that bothered me were
-The horrible animation! YUK! But, I got over it, I mean the guy doesn't animate ALL episodes (only a few).
-When Ash said to Dawn by the camp fire "I'm not always Mr.Nice"
-The whole Dawn's mother scene was a bit awkward "You're watching over MY Dawn." lol

I liked the refrences, the battles and overall, the arguments! It was a great episode despite the animation, which at some points had it's ups (Dawn looked REALLY fat at one point and Brock had a giant extendo arm).

Nando's voice fit him well.

The Big Al
8th June 2007, 2:41 AM
Okay, Nando (is that the guy's name?) is Pokemon's stab at Naginyo. All he needs to do now is show up randomly singing to the ladies. But that's okay, Pokemon has been spoofing other animes (and everything else for that matter) since it started.

And yes Dawn, they're clones.

Dax
8th June 2007, 3:43 AM
It was an alright episode, nothing impressive. I didn't watch this episode earlier so I'm kinda surprised that Dawn was so good in battle.

Nando was good and the animation wasn't *that* bad. It was ok.

Budew was cute and I liked how it used the Solarbeam.

R_N
8th June 2007, 4:17 AM
It was nice to see this episode in motion. The animation wasn't bad, and I had a feeling that Nando would sound the way he did. Overall, I liked it. Have I meniton how muc hI LOVE Dawn's voice? Cause I do.

I was also expecting SOMEONE to say "Spooney Bard".

RageKaiser
8th June 2007, 5:59 AM
I was also expecting SOMEONE to say "Spooney Bard".
Heh, I believe I said it when I watched it.

I liked Nando's accent, It fit him well, and I like what PUSA did with the forest song, They kept Kricketot's japanese voice. ^^

Knight_Ram
8th June 2007, 12:02 PM
Dawn annoys me already, I really need to give her time so I can get use to her. She blames ash for being a clumsy idiot. Cool battle with Ash and that Nando guy.

PANCAKE
8th June 2007, 1:07 PM
Ok then.
That Budew's voice was just awful. There was even a point where it's mouth moved and only silence spoke. Not to mention I'm really starting to wish Poochama kept it's Japanese name. Seeing little blue jumping up and down in the original version screaming "Poocha-Poocha" compaired to the annoying "Pip-lup-lup" makes me cringe. Now I see how people like S.Suikun get defensive over their beloved Japanese versions. I'm starting to hop on the band-wagon.

Meh episode for me. But hell, it's just the start of the adventure, so patience is a vurtue I guess.

4 outta 10 from me

-PANCAKE-

Poke'T<3
8th June 2007, 1:15 PM
I thought it was an ok episode i was glad ash won he needs to win more often he should have enough knowledge of pokemon by now how i mean how long has he been at it... and i dont like the piplup name either they should have kept poochama...
Nando also shouldnt have had that budew it was cute but Drew already had one they should show somthing different...

Jorah
8th June 2007, 11:30 PM
The horrible animation! YUK! But, I got over it, I mean the guy doesn't animate ALL episodes (only a few).

I noticed that too, their faces looked wierd in places and Dawn looked really tall, then Ash would, then they look be normal...

I thought it was funny when Dawn thought she saw a Ho-Oh. I've been wondering if that filler person who battled Ash and Dawn is actually a filler person (where they say they will see them again but never do) or whether he might actually make another appearance

scissorX
8th June 2007, 11:39 PM
Nope, Nando does indeed make an apperance again.

He sounded different to how I expected. Like, he didn't sound natural, as if he was trying too hard to be all 'at one'.

However this was a cool episode, bit tedious what with Ash and Brock constantly reminding the audience of everything, but thats expected at the beginning of a season.

Medea
8th June 2007, 11:45 PM
Well...

-*sighs* Another boy vs girl fight. This does bring back so many memories! (i.e. beginning episodes of Indigo and The Bicker The Better in Hoenn)
-Budew is so cool and cute and I do like the voice.
-Nando...HE SOUNDED LIKE WANDISIMO FROM THE FAIRLY ODD PARENTS!!! I'm sorry, he just did.
-Seeing a Roselia that isn't Drew's...it just doesn't seem right.
-Dawn's first battle...I do agree with Nando at that she did pretty good considering she was up against a grass type. And now that I think about it, May had it pretty rough in her first battle (i.e. Torchic vs Mudkip).

And that's all I want to comment on for now!

S.Suikun
9th June 2007, 4:02 AM
Now I see how people like S.Suikun get defensive over their beloved Japanese versions.
I do? 0_o
As adorable as Pochama's voice is, I actually think Piplup's voice is perfectly suitable and does the original justice. The tone is pretty similar, and the key difference is the name spoken. If you don't like the name, I'd probably blame NOA well before I blamed the VA.

I also noticed that part where Budew's mouth moved and nothing came out, but I figured I just wasn't hearing things right.

A few of these early DP episodes are kinda boring, this one included.

Neo Mario
9th June 2007, 4:37 AM
If he dose both then maybe we'll see him in the Grand Festival and Pokemon League

EDIT New Rank

CyberCubed
9th June 2007, 6:07 AM
I liked Nando's dub voice, nice to have a unique voice for a character who will reappear.

Surreal
9th June 2007, 7:34 AM
Anyone else think the animation team for this episode was crap?

Anyway, I really liked this episode. Nothing much really happened but it was enjoyable. Nando has a good dub voice. It is soft and mysterious. I just wish that Ash would of used another pokemon other then Pikachu in the battle against Budew.

King Wulfharth
9th June 2007, 7:38 AM
I enjoyed this episode it wasn't graphically amazing but good.

Nando voice was Odd but I liked it
Dawn did exceptionally well for her first battle
I the forest song part
ash's pikachu pwned that budew

uber gon
9th June 2007, 9:38 AM
Anyone find it weird how Nando always asked Budew/Roselia to do its attacks?

AshfanGirl20
10th June 2007, 4:54 AM
Dawn annoys me already, I really need to give her time so I can get use to her. She blames ash for being a clumsy idiot. Cool battle with Ash and that Nando guy.

Yah that part annoyed me, I mean who blames a person they just barley started to travel with for there newbish skills. But at least she said she was sorry I suppose. I did enjoy the episode, the fighting was cute and the animation was nice. Team Rockets disguise was horrible LOL. Anyways I enjoyed it. I give it a 9/9

WaterKrystal
10th June 2007, 5:10 AM
This was an alright episode.
Dawn hitting Ash with the pokeball rocked, and Nando was pretty cool, and polite. I wonder how he is doing now that he has like 12 or 13 things to get on his journey. TR's disguise was stupid, and I know that Ash and the group have fallen for them so many times (and it kinda shocks me that Pikachu can't smell their scent or realise that is them by their voices, but whatever), but with that big R, sometimes they do surprise me, how they don't see it. I don't really have much to say on their arguing , except for it was nice to see some arguing in the group, kinda reminded me of A/M fighting.

Snorkle
11th June 2007, 1:49 AM
Anyone else think the animation team for this episode was crap?

I second that. Ugh, it was painful on the eyes in some places...

Meh, I found this episode average. I really didn't enjoy it that much, and overall it came across as 'boring' except maybe for Nando's voice. It was rather fitting for him, IMO. And when Dawn hit Ash with the Pokeball I admit I did chuckle at that.

The fighting didn't seem as 'fighting-like' (all time vocab-low ^^;) as it should have been...like in 'The Bicker the Better' but then again in that episode the issues were a lot more...personal. This one is when they first start travelling so they don't have much to fight about anyway ^^;

And compared to the first actual episode in Hoenn (for D/P I count the first three episodes as one whole thing since they were coupled together in the 'Premiere' and all that...). In Hoenn I believe the first one was where they introduced Magma for the first time. And that made it interesting because people wanted to know what this whole team was about.

This one lacked that 'excitement' but I think it was a nice, simple easy-going way to kick things off. Quite the contrary to Hoenn and all, but I like that contrast.

God, I just realized I contradicted myself so many times in this post <_<

Reign G
11th June 2007, 4:54 AM
Nando has a pretty awesome voice, and the fight between Ash and Dawn reminded me of the Ash and Misty fights early on. Ah, the not-so-good old days...

My one complaint is what it seems everyone is ranting about. TR has had some pretty bad disguises over the years, but this was the worst. I mean, the big red 'R' was obvious right under those poncho-robe-things!

All in all, a good episode. Now, I'm looking forward to tomorrow's episode, Gettin' Twiggy With It. Yay for Turtwig!

Wynaut?
11th June 2007, 11:52 AM
Not too bad an episode really (I love torrents...), Dawn's first battle wasn't a bad one, and Nando was cool.

I also liked the bit with the forest singing.

Just a pity that Budew evolving was already spoiled by the preview picture on the main site. :(

Pearl's Perap
14th June 2007, 11:46 AM
This was a fairly good episode, in my eyes, the battles were cool, Nando was a good character, though his accent sorta got on my nerves during the end, he was tolerable and his Budew was adorable.

I find it a big shame that is evolved, this early on atleast, enough of the Roselia already...

The whole forest song thing was great, too, though it was a little strange how it only seemed to start when it was actually mentioned, rather than being there in the background from the start, the Kricketot's look great, I can't wait for them to get a proper showcasing...

7/10

Sushi Bunny
16th June 2007, 7:56 AM
Nando sounds like Mandy the astounding from the episode "Round one! Begin!" That kind of scared me... So I shall now call him Nando the astounding!

They really need to think up better disguises for team rocket... Where's James in a dress! Well I know why they didn't know it was team rocket this time, Ash was still suffering from the brain damage he recieved from Dawn/Hikari in the begining of the episode, Hikari/Dawn hasn't seen team rocket to much so she can get away with it (for now...), And Brock always has his eyes closed so he couldn't see their pathetic disguises (now I sound like shinji, pathetic), Pikachu on the other hand has no excuse, So this could prove that Pikachu is tired of trying to be captured by them so it just wants to give up and get it over with.

when they were in the forest and all the Pokemon started singing, I just found that annoying, it was interesting to hear, but I would be tossing and turning and probably screaming at the Pokemon if I had to listen to that all night. Although then again it sounds like the Pokemon must have off switches, since they completely stopped singing as soon as everyone else started talking.

Well anyway, it was ok episode.

Ashy Boy
16th June 2007, 12:05 PM
The dub episode wasn't at all bad, even though Team Rocket's new motto made them too obnoxious.

timonflower
9th August 2007, 7:52 PM
in the episode,wat was with the argument!The bikering between ash and dawn reaaally confused me!First about catching buneary,then Namoi(i think)entering contests or gym battles,etc.I mean,hakuna matata!

ellis10
28th August 2007, 5:58 PM
i hate this episode i watched it on you tube

Rebeccag
30th October 2007, 9:35 PM
nandos voice was weird but it suited him in a strange way
This episode was ok though

ash_1518
2nd February 2008, 3:35 PM
i saw dis episode bt i dnt know where to download the rest of them..... cn anyone pllllzzzz help me out?

wobbanut
17th August 2008, 10:24 PM
Please be patient with me, folks, as I catch up on fifteen months of Pokemon reviews due to being away from the forum with a cr*ppy Internet connection (thank the gods for High-speed!)

I have grown to like Nando with his subsequent appearances on the show. He's not as interesting as Zoey, Paul, Reggie, or Gardenia, but he's an interesting character. He's at least someone a bit different with a flair for the dramatic and for music. I find it interesting that he chooses to participate in both gym battles and contests, it makes one wonder how he'll pull it all off.

I also like the reaction Ash has when budew evolves into roselia, and Dawn's reaction to Brock hitting on Nurse Joy like Officer Jenny. :D

I wasn't sure about Brock bringing Bonsly to Sinnoh back when this episode first aired, since he had finer Pokemon he could have brought (especially Steelix), and Bonsly was annoying when it was young, but it's grown to be an amusing pokemon. It does make sense, though, in a way, because Bonsly was his least-experienced pokemon, as was Forretress when he brought it to Hoenn. At least Bonsly/Sudowoodo hasn't been rarely-seen like Forretress was.

dagon22
24th November 2008, 2:14 AM
With all the people on the show, it's nice to meet someone who isn't like everyone else, Nando. Poor Dawn, still unable to catch a pokemon, keep on trying. Even though Ash and Dawn founght, they got along in the end. I thought it was cool that Nandos budew evolved.

npdargy312
20th December 2008, 4:28 PM
I liked how Dawn AND Ash have the same Rival, even though we've barely seen him since...

gtab x3
26th December 2008, 6:36 PM
This episode's title is so confusing I always think, from the title, it is the first episode od the series.

I really have nothing to say in this episode, really.... but it was so funny when Ash and Dawn ran out of the pokemon center and were searching for Nando, then Brock saud see what you did now we have to camp out. that was really stupid to me how can they run so far and say we can't go back or it will be morning.

the battling was alright, i liked how thay showed Budew, to be cute and powerful

Igottapoo
6th January 2009, 9:33 AM
Eh decent episode. Nice to see Dawns first battle and such.

Rommath
6th February 2009, 4:49 PM
Okay episode. Nice debut episode for Budew, and seeing it evolve into Roselia was nice. Nando's an alright character.

Littlemyuu
6th March 2009, 3:34 PM
Nice episode where Budew came into screen, same for Primplup he rocks ^_^

(s.i.e)
10th March 2009, 1:39 PM
budew is a very strange pokemon if you ask me but anyway i guess the episode was nice so it's just a minor detail^^

S.Suikun
8th May 2009, 6:33 PM
Day 4! Let's see how long I can remain consistent.

Ah, Naoshi. We haven't seen you in ages, and yet everybody continues to talk about you for whatever reason. I, for one, am hesitant to compare him to Casey, because Naoshi isn't irritable in the slightest; no, he's just a tad dull but had some potential to be interesting, what with his knowledge of the legends. Speaking of debuts, this is our introduction to one Kazue Kinoshita, and while she never became good, this probably remains her worst outing with the greatest number of "Anorexic Hikari" moments. Other than that, we get Hikari's first battle and some introductions to some of the more basic Sinnoh Pokemon.

But really, this is a very average episode. None of the battles are too exciting, falling for Team Rocket's scam here is hilarious in a very embarrassing way, and the whole dilemma for Naoshi about choosing between gyms and contests is not taken in any intriguing direction. Additionally, Hikari's novice battling skills are nothing we have not seen before. I did enjoy a Pokemon evolving in the middle of battle not winning for once, but overall, this was a pretty bland introduction to a character that is not a whole lot more interesting than the episode itself.

C

Torpoleon
12th May 2009, 3:03 PM
I liked the appearance of Budew and Nando is a nice character. It was cool to see the three starters next to each other although one was a Prinplup. I also liked how Budew evolved so Ash and Co. could know that Budew evolves into Roselia, then Roserade. Nando is kind of a Grass and Bug-Type freak if you ask me. ^_^;

catzisconfus
16th August 2009, 9:10 PM
pretty good episode but nothing special ...

Ash-kid
30th November 2009, 5:00 PM
It was great to see Nando in action, his Roselia was preety strong...

Shadow XD001
30th November 2009, 11:06 PM
This was episode was okay. Not the best, considering we don't really see Nando anymore, but nice to see his Roselia.

Lorde
5th December 2009, 2:15 AM
I liked Dawn's battle with Nando's Budew. Reminded me of May versus that Mudkip guy.

I enjoyed meeting Nando, he's so refreshing. Hope he appears again in the future.

7/10

JohnLee
9th February 2010, 11:43 PM
I liked Dawn's battle with Nando's Budew. Reminded me of May versus that Mudkip guy.

I enjoyed meeting Nando, he's so refreshing. Hope he appears again in the future.

7/10

I have a feeling that you'll see Nando again! :)
It took me a while to figure out what was on his harp and then it hit me that it was a MEW!

KGB13
6th March 2010, 4:38 PM
Nice episode. I like Nando and his battles against Ash and Dawn were good.

vipsoccermaster
6th March 2010, 8:24 PM
This episode was good, especially the battle between Dawn and Nando.

Willow's Tara
31st May 2010, 4:23 AM
Good episode, of course Dawn and Ash fights in the beginning (Does Ash fight more with the main female then he does with Brock, interesting).

Nando is okay I guess, not a favorite character really but the battle with Ash and Dawn was good.

wind21
20th June 2010, 6:09 PM
Wow, the introduction of Nando! Okay, S. Suikun is definitely right in that Nando isn't the most exciting of characters, although Nando's performance at the Grand Festival may have given him more popularity now, and thus this episode may be viewed in a better light. Maybe...

Let's see. This is a generic argument episode, this time between Ash and Dawn. I think the dubbing of the argument is pretty witty. Otherwise, not much to say on this part of the episode.

When I first watched this, I thought it was important that Ash beat Nando after Dawn had lost, as it established Ash as the more experienced trainer. Well, of course he is...Yeah, I know. At the time though, I was still under the impression that Ash had tied in the previous episode with a relatively inexperienced trainer (Paul) and so Ash's victory was important to reassert that he was indeed someone who has been at this for awhile.

saar
8th July 2010, 2:55 PM
I was disappointed from appearance of Nando. He should have used another pokemon, and his Roselia was pretty weak compared to Drew's Roselia.
I watched the part with Prinplup again, but it didn't talk.

~Platinum~
19th July 2010, 4:04 AM
In my opinion Nando should have just been a COTD. Hardly got any character development and had perhaps the worst league battle ever. Oh well. In this episode Dawn has her first battle, the twerps learn that TR has a Carnivine, and a character who hardly gets any development throughout the saga is introduced. Not the best episode. Seeing Prinplup was nice, especially considering Kenny wasn't introduced yet. Meh.

RickHoenn
13th October 2010, 3:57 PM
Great episode WOW! o_o Nando is calm I like it, Budew is so cute bwahaha and the twerps couldn't recognize Team Rocket's disguises that's a new low for them! XD

Brock only brought Bonsly with him and Dawn's first battle was a fail, then Ash beats Nando's Roselia.

9.5/10

I've been saying the trio interaction was bland most of the time but for this episode was actually nice, Ash discussing with Dawn and then Brock acting like the role model. :)

Painkiller2001
5th November 2010, 11:01 PM

That would have been sooo funny to hear!

I hope she didn't brain his damage!

Not much else to comment about on this episode. It was good, but not ultimately entertaining. Then again this season is still just starting out, so You got to give it time to get more exciting.

Lance The Champ
28th November 2010, 9:21 AM
Nando will be a strong rival for both Ash and Dawn

G50
27th April 2011, 4:34 AM
This episode was ok... It was cool to see Nando and his Budew for the 1st time. Budew is cute and strong for a small pre-evolved Pokemon. It was cool to see Budew evolve into Roselia. It was cool to see Prinplup for the 1st time. It was cool to see Bunneary for the 1st time, Bunneary is so cute! Once again Dawn fails to catch another wild Pokemon. The Pikachu vs Roselia battle was cool. It was great to see Pikachu use Iron Tail to defeat Roselia. It was cool to see Nando interested in both Contests and gym battles.

29/100

The sandwich
9th August 2011, 12:24 AM
How does Dawn go from saving Ash's Pikachu to acting like a fail? O_o

Nando was sort of creepy as well.......but the battles were ok.

Caseydia
16th March 2012, 1:10 AM
This episode was funny but I think there was no need for the fighting. Dawn was a beginner, so battling with her might have not been the smartest idea anyway. Piplup is stubby and trips alot.

BurningSociety12345543210
9th June 2012, 9:01 PM
Dawn completely sucked in that battle. Oh well, at least she has experience now.

Nano was one strange dude with an even stranger pokemon. I never liked Roselia all that much. :S

Nice to see he finally made up his mind on what his goal will be, but it was kind of obvious he was going to choose both.

Dawn+Serena Fan
24th August 2012, 7:27 PM
This episode was funny, I liked it alot. Dawn was acting so cute in this episode XD. The fighting between Ash and Dawn was quite funny and I liked both battles against Nando.

I give this episode a 10/10!

WhyHelloThere
6th October 2012, 9:35 PM
Never cared for Nando all that much. Maybe it's because he hardly got any screen time. As for the episode, it was annoying.

PokemontrainerY
28th August 2013, 8:13 AM
In the last episode, Dawn joined Ash in his Sinnoh journey and we got the confermation that she'll be Ash's travelling partner for the rest of the DP saga.
This episode starts with Dawn trying to get herself a Buneary, but she forgets to make her Pokéball bigger. After Ash reminded her about it, she makes it bigger and throws it.....but her hand slips and the Pokéball hits Ash instead of hitting Buneary. The wild Buneary runs away, so Ash and Dawn began to argue about it. Later they meet a trainer named Nando and Dawn decides to battle him for showing Ash how strong she is. She ended up losing the battle. Later Brock reveals that he brought only Blonsly with him and Dawn learns that he's the Pewter City Gym leader. In the Pokémon Center, Dawn thinks the Nurse Joy is the same Nurse Joy. Brock tells her that all Nurse Joy her related and then he tries to flirt with Nurse Joy by holding her hand. Also, Ash registers for the Sinnoh League.
Later Nando show up and Nurse Joy says that he's trying to decide whether to focus on winning Gym badges or focus on winning Contest ribbons. After Ash defeats Nando in a battle, he decides do both Contests and Gyms. Ash and Dawn apologize to each other and then they head to Jubilife City.

Overall this episode was pretty good, it's funny when Dawn forgot to make her Pokéball bigger and accidently threw it in Ash's head. Seeing Nando for first time was cool, sadly he didn't get much development throughout the DP saga. It's annoying to see Ash and Dawn were arguing over a stupid reason throughout the episode, but I'm glad they apologized at the end.