PDA

View Full Version : close

Water master
16th October 2006, 3:32 AM
I would just like to say that I find it rude that the mods close threads without telling the people posting there why they are doing it.

indigestible_wad
16th October 2006, 3:39 AM
While every once in a while a mod will close a thread without posting and it's completely inobvious why, usually it is very obvious why they close a thread. Just take a look at some of the posts in the thread. Usually it's the first post though that is breaking the rules. It's generally a common sense thing.

Also sometimes they don't post so that they can keep their post count low regardless of whether it's obvious or not.

chester
16th October 2006, 7:11 AM
Also, they sometimes skip over that. Like, you can't do everything

AJ Flibble
16th October 2006, 9:09 AM
I would just like to say that I find it rude that the mods close threads without telling the people posting there why they are doing it.

...most of the time they do. When they don't it's obvious as to why, most of the time.

Chris
16th October 2006, 9:11 AM
As far as I can see, you asked something that could have easily been solved by using Google.

nashie1
16th October 2006, 10:11 AM
If you read the rules you'd probably know why a thread was closed.

JoshYEAH
16th October 2006, 10:24 AM
As far as I can see, you asked something that could have easily been solved by using Google.
Apparentley so. (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=why+do+mods+sometimes+not+post+a+reason+f or+closing+threads%3F&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8)

Usually if a reason isn't given it's because the reason should be painfully obvious, and isn't even nessesary to post. :\ And for the record, no mods on this forum are actually obliged to post a reason for closure. You might think it's rude, but to be fair, what's more rude? The fact that a mod didn't give a reason, or the fact that you or whoever else didn't read the rules?

Answer that and stay fashionable :)

-Josh

Ninjit
16th October 2006, 10:29 AM
I usually try and get a reason in for most of my closures, but if it's way too obvious and not worth explaining, I probably won't.

Chris
16th October 2006, 10:39 AM
Apparentley so. (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=why+do+mods+sometimes+not+post+a+reason+f or+closing+threads%3F&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8)
I was talking about the topic that was closed, dork. :P

He asked for pictures of the Burger King toys from the first Pokemon movie. A simple search in Google images can do wonders.

JoshYEAH
16th October 2006, 10:42 AM
I was talking about the topic that was closed, dork. :P

He asked for pictures of the Burger King toys from the first Pokemon movie. A simple search in Google images can do wonders.
:(

Well now I just feel violated. I went through all of the trouble of typing a long sentence in google for the convenience of us all, and all I got was... WRONG.

My post was good otherwise imo :(

-Josh

chester
16th October 2006, 10:42 AM
Oh, thats what you were talking about. I thought you'd gone mad with all the CLosed topics...

Kirby
16th October 2006, 10:47 AM
I will say that I have close one topic without posting why.

http://serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=159663

Now, I'd like to see you all try and tell me why I should have posted an explanation. I think the reason I closed it was painfully obvious, but I want to see what you all can come up with =)

chester
16th October 2006, 11:10 AM
Could it perhaps be something in the first post. I'm a bit hazy. Perhaps the

I ****ING GOT NOTHING FOR MY BIRTHDAY!!! NO Wii MONEY!!! I GOT 1 OLD DS GAME I ALREADY HAD!!!! AND NO PRESENT FROM DAD!! ALL I ****ING WANTED WAS Wii MONEY!! BUT I GET NOTHING! THEY CAN SPEND $250 ON MY 8 YEAR OLD God Brother ON HIS BIRTHDAY TO GET HIM A PSP BUT NOT THEIR OWN SON WHO GOT ALL A's **** EVERYTHING **** THEM!

Bit is it. All those Asterisks...

Chris
16th October 2006, 4:57 PM
Could it perhaps be something in the first post. I'm a bit hazy. Perhaps the

Bit is it. All those Asterisks...

Which was a topic made by Caliongeo, not the topic creator of this thread.

doomgamer
16th October 2006, 6:44 PM
This is their work...

Fiery Blaziken
18th October 2006, 1:15 AM
I will say that I have close one topic without posting why.

http://serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=159663

Now, I'd like to see you all try and tell me why I should have posted an explanation. I think the reason I closed it was painfully obvious, but I want to see what you all can come up with =)

But still, it's helpful. On other forums that might have not counted as a bad topic. Different forums have different guidelines on what "good" topics are.

So it would be helpful just to leave a simple sentence why it's closed. :/

shirika2436
18th October 2006, 1:30 AM
while it should be painfully obvious why a thread was closed in such a case, youll always find someone who will detest you for it. but then again, who really cares?

XDbonsly
18th October 2006, 11:55 AM
OH MY GOD! I have never seen so many mods post in 1 thread, please dont close this thread until serebii has posted, then this will be figured out.

Amadeus
18th October 2006, 12:11 PM
OH MY GOD! I have never seen so many mods post in 1 thread, please dont close this thread until serebii has posted, then this will be figured out.
Between this and "inobvious" earlier in the thread, I feel like I'm recovering from a lobotomy. Figure out what, exactly? They just posted why they may not give a reason: it's obvious in its disregard for the rules and point of having different sections. What more do you want, exactly?

RGdude
18th October 2006, 12:37 PM
according to me, mods usually dont tell the reason for closing threads because the question has already been asked or there is a thread already there to answer that question.
What annoys me is that I leav a post asking a questiona expecting an answer next day but when I see it next day after school, th thread is closed because its in a wrong section, why dont you move threads in wrong places?

Kirby
18th October 2006, 12:51 PM
But still, it's helpful. On other forums that might have not counted as a bad topic. Different forums have different guidelines on what "good" topics are.

So it would be helpful just to leave a simple sentence why it's closed. :/

Sorry but I am not required to give a reason when the reason is painfully obvious. Please, I am willing to listen, how could that example I posted not be spam?

RGdude, instead of expecting us to move topics that are posted in the wrong section, why don't you post them in the right section in the first place e_e;

RGdude
18th October 2006, 1:01 PM
Sometimes, I mistakingly or sometimes when I dont know where exactly to post the message, I get in the wrong board. And atleast I dont deliberately post it in the wrong section.
I fear you people XD so I'll mention that I am not arguing.

Kirby
18th October 2006, 2:15 PM
Sometimes, I mistakingly or sometimes when I dont know where exactly to post the message, I get in the wrong board. And atleast I dont deliberately post it in the wrong section.
I fear you people XD so I'll mention that I am not arguing.

Sometimes, when a thread is made in the wrong area, the same thread was made in the right area, so instead of moving it, it just gets closed.

That is when a mod should say "I would move this to the right area, but there is already a similar topic", then close and provide a link. If it happens, then you should PM a mod of that section asking why it was closed, if it's not obvious as to why it was. Most mods are pretty nice about it. If a topic in the sections I mod is closed without an explanation, and it's not obvious why, then the topic creator is always welcome to PM me and ask, and I'll look it up for you. Just remember to provide a link :x

And you shouldn't fear us XD Well...don't fear me at least, I'm not fearful :P

JoshYEAH
18th October 2006, 2:52 PM
Fiery Blaziken is just being pedantic >_>

Nine times out of ten, if a topic is closed without a mod post, then the explanation is obvious. Just open your eyes a bit, and don't suddenly jump to a conclusion that omg we're abusing our power by not telling you why, when you should know the rules and should be able to determine it yourself.

Though, I almost always post a reason for closure :O

-Josh

Kinslayer
18th October 2006, 3:17 PM
When I was a mod, Joe-ebii said that we HAD to ALWAYS post reasons for closure...But I see he's not posted in THIS thread.

Anyways, bottom line: Don't be stupid, as you can, 98% of the time, tell why a thread was closed without someone holding your hand and babying you.

Kirby
18th October 2006, 3:27 PM
When I was a mod, Joe-ebii said that we HAD to ALWAYS post reasons for closure...But I see he's not posted in THIS thread.

Anyways, bottom line: Don't be stupid, as you can, 98% of the time, tell why a thread was closed without someone holding your hand and babying you.

I guess the rules have changed D:

<Aipom> Hey Joe, if a thread is obvious spam, like "BDHDBHJBHDBHJDBHJDBHD" in it, do we have to post a reason upon closing it :/?
<Serebii> no

I asked in the chat XD

...And...

I'm too excited to sleep 8D!

Amaranth
18th October 2006, 4:06 PM
I guess the rules have changed D:

<Aipom> Hey Joe, if a thread is obvious spam, like "BDHDBHJBHDBHJDBHJDBHD" in it, do we have to post a reason upon closing it :/?
<Serebii> no

I asked in the chat XD

...And...

I'm too excited to sleep 8D!

Lol kirby you are an aipom i swear
and why should mods waste time anyway

Kirby
18th October 2006, 7:00 PM
Lol kirby you are an aipom i swear
and why should mods waste time anyway

I honestly don't know whether to take that as an insult or a compliment...

Amaranth
18th October 2006, 7:54 PM
kirby a complement ofcourse who cant love the aipom

Fiery Blaziken
18th October 2006, 10:42 PM
If it's painfully obvious and you don't know why, it's a indication that you don't know the rules well enough. While I'm not saying you should remember word for word what the rules say, one thing we stress around here is spam, so we at least like that drilled in every member's mind what it is.

Now if it's something more vague, maybe. But also, not pertaining to that topic, when people go "this thread is blah blah blah" and they're right, do we need an explanation to close it?

"What he/she/they said" + close, ;)

LugiaRules
18th October 2006, 10:48 PM
This guy might just be a n00b making dumb threads a doesn't realize it. (Talkin to the maker of this thread.)

Ludicolo Master
20th October 2006, 6:24 AM
isn't this the guy who posted like a month ago? did he get another account?

it got locked up by Jess or serebii.I think this one will too. or another hacker?

Well to tell you got 1 reffral about sig size. so, i thought "man da*n.but lets move on" but you didn't.

I think the thread was called "why do mods lock threads and ban people?"
I think the guy's username was ra----

Francesc
20th October 2006, 2:42 PM

Well, that's their job...

Sharpedo Boy
20th October 2006, 4:18 PM
They dont want people to know.They dont post because it's breaking the rules.Sometimes they do post.