PDA

View Full Version : Gettin' Twiggy With It (473)

Serebii
20th October 2006, 7:58 AM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/473.jpgGettin' Twiggy With It

After the usual battle with Team Rocket, Pikachu goes missing. When finding him, Ash meets up with a Turtwig that helps out the Wild Pokémon from fighting. However Team Rocket re-appear and have their eyes set on this powerful yet helpful Pokémon. Can Ash protect it?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/shinou/473.shtml)

Discuss

Korobooshi Kojiro
20th October 2006, 11:07 AM
Masukippa is seriously awesome, but it seems the animators have trouble deciding on what the hell it should look like.

It's size and it's head changes every scene, it is pretty freaky.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
20th October 2006, 11:46 AM
Naetoru resembles Bulbasaur in appearance and movepool. Now it resembles it in personality?

?*V Tsun*?
The 8th Champion

TeddiUrsa
20th October 2006, 12:02 PM
What? no asking like "what happened in this episode?" or "I want to see it!!" in this thread? I´m stunned!

anyway, i really enjoyed this episode due to Naetle.

I never really liked the naetle-line. naetle in particular, but this one really grow on me very fast. I like its bulky battle style.
Kojiro´s VA seems to to its voice, am I correct?

It was a nice suprise that Hikari tried to catch naetle right after seeng it.
I guess she really wants to catch some pokemon ^^

Brock once again showed some breeder skills when he nursed the linoone. Maybe his dream should be changed into "pokemon nurse"? a good way to meet lots of joys

masukippa should have a catfight with cacnea for james´ love...that would be cute.

Geodude
20th October 2006, 12:51 PM
Before anyone asks, Naetle knows Razor Leaf, Bite, Tackle, and Synthesis.

saar15
20th October 2006, 1:35 PM
where can i see that ep did it came out?

Steffrox
20th October 2006, 2:11 PM
that old womans appearnce kinda reminds me of another charcter but i cna't put my finger on who

S.Suikun
20th October 2006, 3:03 PM
that old womans appearnce kinda reminds me of another charcter but i cna't put my finger on who
Every other old lady that has appeared in the series? I have to say, though, she looked kinda creepy in a few scenes.

saar15
20th October 2006, 3:15 PM

where can i see the ep?!?!?!?

Pokemon Fan
20th October 2006, 6:01 PM
Firstly, learn some proper grammar.

Secondly, it is against forum rules to post links to such info. You can pm people for info or find it yourself quite easily.

Thirdly, of course the episode has come out, how else could people talk about what happened in it?

Lastly, quoting yourself and adding almost the exact same thing because no one answered your question for a couple of hours is not an attractive posting habit.

<><><>

On the episode itself, I loved Naetle's shocked and then guilt-ridden expressions when it realized Ash was Pikachu's trainer and friend. The poor thing looked positively adorable with the tears in its eyes and "I hate myself!" expression.

It is like Bulbasaur but at least it battles somewhat differently, and its personality is more aggressive and good natured rather than Bulbasaur's wise toughness. I do think its funny how it is willing to beat up pokemon to get them to accept its help. Its a good deal more hyper and careless than Ash's Bulbasaur so I think its a good enough difference.

I found the Linoone to be incredibly random. Just what on earth beat it up so badly? It did look neat though seeing Ash and Brock holding it, given how used I am to seeing them hold only small pokemon.

CyberCubed
20th October 2006, 6:08 PM
It is like Bulbasaur but at least it battles somewhat differently, and its personality is more aggressive and good natured rather than Bulbasaur's wise toughness. I do think its funny how it is willing to beat up pokemon to get them to accept its help. Its a good deal more hyper and careless than Ash's Bulbasaur so I think its a good enough difference.

In other words, they gave it a few different "quirks" but its still essentially the same Pokemon, like Jessie's Arbok/Seviper, James' three grass Pokemon, or Hikari being a coordinator.

The good thing about it is when it evolves it turns into a tank, so it'll be completely different than his other grass types by then. But right now, it's just a poor man's version of Bulbasaur that can heal itself.

dannyphantomhott
20th October 2006, 6:20 PM
Well I saw the episode pictures and enjoyed it, Team Rocket seem to be getting def more violent as episodes go on, guess there getting more and more annoyed with Ash LOL. The animation looked decent, I'm liking the new grass Pokemon for Ash too, funny how it tried to eat Ash hat too, poor kid can't catch a break with that LOL. Well err um yah I enjoyed it. Really can't wait for next week's episode.

Flame-lord#01
20th October 2006, 6:37 PM
I would give the episode an 8/10 these are two things that interested me more than others
-Team rocket actually tried to drown ash i must say they really are getting lower
-Naetoru repeatively tries to bite/eat ash's hat very similar to masukippa and james but at least it's not gonna do it whenever it is called out (hopefully)

Bliksem
20th October 2006, 7:10 PM
From the pictures, this episode looks entertaining. Sadly, though, the moment I saw Naetle, I knew it was similar in personality. I'm glad, though, that it has its own defining characteristics.

And Ash's Pokemon seem in love with his hat...

Almighty Zard
20th October 2006, 7:15 PM
The good thing about it is when it evolves it turns into a tank, so it'll be completely different than his other grass types by then. But right now, it's just a poor man's version of Bulbasaur that can heal itself.

that alone seperates Neatoru from the rest of Ash's grass types, and most of his pokemon in general, cause this is the first pokemon Ash has ever capture that can heal itself, and from my point of veiw the only grass stater that Ash has that doesn't stand out at all is Bayleef, the others have something that makes them unique Bayleef doesn't.

I hope it continues to bite Ash i love it when he gets hurt by his own pokemon.

masukippa
20th October 2006, 7:17 PM
In other words, they gave it a few different "quirks" but its still essentially the same Pokemon, like Jessie's Arbok/Seviper, James' three grass Pokemon...

Cacnea is nothing like the other 2

Ashy Boy
20th October 2006, 7:43 PM
The episode wasn't too bad. Glad to see the Magikarp submarine again.

Pokemon Fan
20th October 2006, 8:21 PM
-Naetoru repeatively tries to bite/eat ash's hat very similar to masukippa and james but at least it's not gonna do it whenever it is called out (hopefully)
Given how it also tried to bite the old lady I was thinking that giving a playful "love" bite to show its affection was what it was doing, not trying to eat his hat.

Korobooshi Kojiro
20th October 2006, 8:54 PM
Seeing Pikachu bash Naetle into the ground while running around crazily made the episode.

BattleFranky~40
20th October 2006, 9:17 PM
Magikarp Sub + Evil Tortoise + Satoshi carrying a giant Ferret= good episode.

raticatelover
20th October 2006, 9:20 PM
one word:synthesis

That by far makes Naetoru own! That and add some parts of Bulbasaur with a playful violent Corphish feeling, and you get a cool pokemon.

Jessie and James aren't playing that dirty, are they? They just believed that Ash would let go instead of staying in there and drowning.

Almighty Zard
20th October 2006, 9:35 PM
one word:synthesis

That by far makes Naetoru own! That and add some parts of Bulbasaur with a playful violent Corphish feeling, and you get a cool pokemon.

Being able to heal himself does make him unique among the other grass starters but it doesn't make him invincible, and also add in totodiles biting too.

Jessie and James aren't playing that dirty, are they? They just believed that Ash would let go instead of staying in there and drowning.

I don't know they have been getting more violent lately since they came to shinou, almost wonder why they didn't start earlier.

The pictures look good, I love that in order to settle the dispute between that Mankey and geodude. I think this Neatoru is gonna' kick major but, then evolve to it's final form and be a true Powerhouse.

I hope it does as that would help further seperate it from the grass starters, and plus if it was around the 8th gym it would be perfect.

SuperShadow
20th October 2006, 9:35 PM
The pictures look good, I love what he did in order to settle the dispute between that Mankey and Geodude(Ko'ed them both). I think this Neatoru is gonna' kick major but, then evolve to it's final form and be a true Powerhouse.

BattleFranky~40
20th October 2006, 9:43 PM

I don't see why they shouldn't.

Kill the trainer, take the pokemon.

CyberCubed
20th October 2006, 9:44 PM
Considering the writers seem to be ignoring Team Galaxy and don't even want to introduce them, they have to make JJ&M a tad more violent than usual to make it seem like they're under a real threat.

SuperShadow
20th October 2006, 9:50 PM

True, But's what's next,noose,machine gun,Smufs with guns,Porygon!?

Jesse:Go porygon!

Ash starts having seisure.
Yes I know porygon didn't cause the seisures so please don't bash me for that.

Pokemon Fan
20th October 2006, 10:09 PM

Considering the writers seem to be ignoring Team Galaxy and don't even want to introduce them, they have to make JJ&M a tad more violent than usual to make it seem like they're under a real threat.

I'm really not seeing where people are getting the idea they are being more violent. They haven't done anything in Shinuo that they haven't done before.

Besides, its their very character that they are not a real threat. The series has gone to great pains to show they are desperate bumblers with ultimately good hearts. They certainly don't want to kill anyone, heck they've saved Ash's life on several occasions just as he's saved them.

Jessie and James and Meowth were never real villains (they were pretty much jokes even in their first apeparence in the series, Ash remarking on how nothing they said made sense) and they never will be. And there is no need for them to be. People need to accept that and stop expecting them to be something they're not.

Geodude
20th October 2006, 10:28 PM
Ash: "You wanna help?"
James: "Of course!"
Jessie: "We don't want the world destroyed!"
James: "Besides, even if we survived..."
Jessie: "...we'd have no one left..."
James: "...to steal from! We'd be out of work!"
Jessie: "Come to think of it, when was the last time we had a vacation?"
Meowth: "We'll be on a poimanent vacation if we don't get to dat island! Let's do it!"

From Pokemon the Movie 2000 of course. So yeah TR isn't more violent now, nor were they ever really...except maybe for their first appearance. Ash and Pocchama were hanging on, and TR wanted to get away, so what was the best option? Dive underwater and hope they let go.

Korobooshi Kojiro
20th October 2006, 11:16 PM
I liked how, even know Ash talked perfectly underwater, they remembered he had to breathe.

Ash6K
20th October 2006, 11:48 PM
Wow this episode was amazing...Naetle knowing Synthesis is pretty cool too. Let's just hope we see it have more original grass type attacks in the future (Leaf Storm for example).

SuperShadow
20th October 2006, 11:52 PM
Ash: "You wanna help?"
James: "Of course!"
Jessie: "We don't want the world destroyed!"
James: "Besides, even if we survived..."
Jessie: "...we'd have no one left..."
James: "...to steal from! We'd be out of work!"
Jessie: "Come to think of it, when was the last time we had a vacation?"
Meowth: "We'll be on a poimanent vacation if we don't get to dat island! Let's do it!"

From Pokemon the Movie 2000 of course. So yeah TR isn't more violent now, nor were they ever really...except maybe for their first appearance. Ash and Pocchama were hanging on, and TR wanted to get away, so what was the best option? Dive underwater and hope they let go.

True. Not to mention that Ash has saved them before.

Edit: Is it just me or is the the Magikarp sumbarine back baby.

raticatelover
21st October 2006, 1:35 AM
I liked how, even know Ash talked perfectly underwater, they remembered he had to breathe.

That's just one of the many powers of SuperAsh!
He is also able to leap 50 feet in the air when trying to get on Team Rocket's Air Balloon

Take the strongest attacks in the world Like Mewtwo!

Has super strength to lift giant logs!

Cant think of anymore of his powers, but SuperAsh will live on forever!
*seriously he died what 2 times? nothing can kill him!*

Dark Star
21st October 2006, 3:08 AM
that alone seperates Neatoru from the rest of Ash's grass types, and most of his pokemon in general, cause this is the first pokemon Ash has ever capture that can heal itself, and from my point of veiw the only grass stater that Ash has that doesn't stand out at all is Bayleef, the others have something that makes them unique Bayleef doesn't.

I hope it continues to bite Ash i love it when he gets hurt by his own pokemon.

His Snorlax can heal itself with Rest.

Anyway, I hope it doesn't lose its personality as time progresses. But if it evolves, I don't see it biting anything anymore.

Geodude
21st October 2006, 3:53 AM
His Snorlax can heal itself with Rest.
Only since recently.

SuperShadow
21st October 2006, 4:02 AM
That's just one of the many powers of SuperAsh!
He is also able to leap 50 feet in the air when trying to get on Team Rocket's Air Balloon

Take the strongest attacks in the world Like Mewtwo!

Has super strength to lift giant logs!

Cant think of anymore of his powers, but SuperAsh will live on forever!
*seriously he died what 2 times? nothing can kill him!*

I've counted at least 3(one for the rat). I don't know how he writers could have did it logicly(then again, since when has this show been very logical.

Jonessodaco.Chris
21st October 2006, 5:51 AM
ok i have a question... ok when i saw the pics today i was like omg naetoru evolves because it was glowing, but then nothing happened. K my question is was that the move Synthesis or like did it try to evolve but fail???

raticatelover
21st October 2006, 6:29 AM
ok i have a question... ok when i saw the pics today i was like omg naetoru evolves because it was glowing, but then nothing happened. K my question is was that the move Synthesis or like did it try to evolve but fail???

Yea it was synthesis.

NewBrock
21st October 2006, 6:35 AM
Not to sound like a complete idjit, but where are all the pictures everyone is looking at? I went to the episode page and there are no pictures and no synopsis yet posted.

Pika Hikari KT
21st October 2006, 6:36 AM
Edit: Is it just me or is the the Magikarp sumbarine back baby.
Yep, Magikarp Sub made a cameo.^_^

Almighty Zard
21st October 2006, 8:06 AM
Not to sound like a complete idjit, but where are all the pictures everyone is looking at? I went to the episode page and there are no pictures and no synopsis yet posted.

should be on the main page

Dreamcoat
21st October 2006, 9:05 AM

http://www.serebii.net/anime/pictures/shinou/473.shtml

The Big Al
21st October 2006, 12:43 PM
Is it just me or did the old woman's face not look right. Maybe it's because it was the still pictures.

Beware of the hyperactive snapping turtle. We'll have to see how it turns out.

saar15
21st October 2006, 1:46 PM
Is it just me or did the old woman's face not look right. Maybe it's because it was the still pictures.

Beware of the hyperactive snapping turtle. We'll have to see how it turns out.

she look like the grandmother of james

Gravy
21st October 2006, 1:57 PM

It was just the way her mouth was positioned methinks. Way too close to her chin, and the odd 'wrinkle' at the side didn't really help matters. It looked like the poor old girl had dislocated her jaw or something.

This best part of this episode was when Naetle's Tackle attack managed to send Maskippa flying into Team Rocket, resulting in an explosion, of all things. I was expecting Naetle to make the first move, with Pikachu finishing the gang with some random electric assault. But the non-sensical strangeness of a small turtle causing such a reaction by simply charging into the foe rocked~

Otherwise, I thought this episode was as bland as hell, barring one or two expressions and the whole 'latch onto Pika's tail' thing. Though to be fair, it's not like Bulbasaur, Chikorita or Treeko had it any better.

Juputoru
21st October 2006, 2:12 PM
This best part of this episode was when Naetle's Tackle attack managed to send Maskippa flying into Team Rocket, resulting in an explosion, of all things. I was expecting Naetle to make the first move, with Pikachu finishing the gang with some random electric assault. But the non-sensical strangeness of a small turtle causing such a reaction by simply charging into the foe rocked~
And to those who have been paying attention since, oh, the Weavile episode, the fact that such a thing creates an explosion is no surprise at all. I'm fully expecting TR's balloon to explode just because Ash shouts at them any day now.

Haven't actually seen the episode in any form other than pictures, I can safely say these things:
A)Naetle's awesome once you push the "BULBASAUR CLONE" bit out of your head.
B)If Naetle keeps its "HEEEEEEeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEELLLLLLP" voice from its first appearence, that will be all too appropriate. Think about it for a moment.
C)The fact that they've made two starters(one I already like, one I was ambivalent about) highly amusing(whether it LASTS or not, though...) gives me high hopes for the starter I'm not all that fond of - Hikozaru. Okay, we've seen the thing twice, once in the lab and once with Shinji, but I'm sure beneath its first forgettable appearences(Sure, it had a hand in destroying the lab, but that's only because Reckless Warrior Pocchama started firing Explosionbubble Beams at it) lies a Pokemon that can still catch my interest with some personality or another.

At any rate, this ep is excellent fodder for one of my sumamry things that you people like for some reason. Oh yes.

Korobooshi Kojiro
21st October 2006, 2:14 PM
It was because everyone knows Masukippa is filled with dangerous fumes, and shaking them up cause explosions.

pikachu146
21st October 2006, 3:10 PM
Well,Ash finally got a D/P starter.This Naetoru looks like a strong pokemon,and it can heal itself.

Satoshi
21st October 2006, 6:17 PM
where can i see the ep?!?!?!?
...In Japan. :\

Anyway, watched the episode yesterday. And I was adequately pleased with it.

Naetle was so damn adorable. It seemed to project a wide range of emotions - being tough when trying to protect Pikachu from Rocket Gang, showing guilt when he finds out that Satoshi is Pikachu's trainer (it beat the crap out of him when he was trying to get Pikachu back...), and showed its appreciation by biting Satoshi's head...in appreciation! ;P I admit that this episode seemed to remind me alot of the episode where Satoshi caught Fushigidane (maybe because it's a grass type starter, and it originally belonged to someone else?), though. But really, personality-wise, he's actually nothing like Fushigidane (Fushigidane was protrayed as a tough protector of orphaned Pokemon when it was introduced. Naetle is more of an energetic, emotional, "I'll act tough because I want to" kind of Pokemon). I guess I liked the battle at the end (Naetle seems to be a good and capable fighter. I think it's kind of interesting that Satoshi has a Pokemon that knows a recovery move, Synthesis, in his party now).

...AND I'VE HAD IT WITH THESE F*CKING RANDOM EXPLOSIONS. ;_;

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/784/vlcsnap39123pp1.png http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/4976/vlcsnap39222um0.png

:\

CyberCubed
22nd October 2006, 2:48 AM
A)Naetle's awesome once you push the "BULBASAUR CLONE" bit out of your head.

It's fairly depressing when we have to force ourselves to push the "clone" mentality out of our heads while watching the D/P series.

Between Aipom's crush on Ash being a rehash of Bayleef, Naetoru being somewhat like Bulbasaur, (although he'll be different when it evolves), Hikari basically being May with a new coat of paint, and Maskippa being another Victreebel, it's gotten really dire.

What's even more depressing is the amount of psychotic Misty fans "rising from the grave" to praise this series because this girl did not replace their precious Misty. After making fools of themselves for all of AG, they only embarrass themselves further when they show their faces nowadays.

Was a good episode though, at any rate.

Korobooshi Kojiro
22nd October 2006, 3:47 AM
I hate how Brock is a rehash of Tracey.

Blaziryu
22nd October 2006, 4:35 PM
After seeing the pics of this episode, I can tell that the show's writers have really lost it. Naetoru is just a fake as# Bulbasaur.

ghost master
22nd October 2006, 4:57 PM
After seeing the pics of this episode, I can tell that the show's writers have really lost it. Naetoru is just a fake as# Bulbasaur.How? Because it can solve a dispute by tackling pokemon causing them to faint. It's personality isnt much like Bulbasaur's. The only similarity between it is it knows how to solve a dispute just like alot of Ash's pokemon are capable of doing. Its' moveset is fairly different and has very non-bulbasaur quirks to it.

This best part of this episode was when Naetle's Tackle attack managed to send Maskippa flying into Team Rocket, resulting in an explosion, of all things. I dont know ever since the start of D/P random things have happened. Pocchama's bubblebeams cause smoke and explosions, Ariados' sludge when it hit the ground caused fire to erupt, Pocchama flew a tiny bit above the ground shooting bubblebeams at Seviper, Cacnea and Dustox and that somehow caused them to get damaged heavily.

Considering the writers seem to be ignoring Team Galaxy and don't even want to introduce them, they have to make JJ&M a tad more violent than usual to make it seem like they're under a real threat. To be fair TG doesnt appear till after the first gym badge and then in nearly every town. If appear in a blue moon and they only show up about as often as TM/TA did then I'd say ignoring them. Also TR isnt being more violent at all remember the Kanto days. Remember all the times when they'd throw bombs at Ash & co. Remember Squirtle's episode when the Squirtle Squad betrayed TR and TR dropped bombs down at Squirtle and it couldnt get up so Super Ash had to run back and save it.

Silent Conversation
22nd October 2006, 5:26 PM
So it looks like Ash is getting pokemon one after the another again. Interesting.

CyberCubed
22nd October 2006, 5:27 PM
He won't be making another capture for a long time, so get used to this team of 4.

MidnightScott
22nd October 2006, 9:46 PM
Aww - I love Naetle, lol. I think I may pick him as my starter on Diamond and Pochama on Pearl.

LOL - there's that Team Rocket in a Magikarp ship again, lol..I was wondering when that was going to return. (I wonder when Team Galaxy will ever be brought in to the series...what exactly are their "evil" plans?)

Aww - Ash immediately ran to the Linoone, he showed Hikari how he cares for Wild Pokémon :D

This was a good episode - even though I already knew Ash was going to get Naetle from the opening ~ it's sorta Cliche, but atleast Naetle doesn't act stuckup like Treecko did.

~Scott;229;

Pika Hikari KT
23rd October 2006, 9:04 PM
Aw, I think Naetle's pretty cool. It's clear he doesn't trust Ash at first(I think he thought Ash was wth TR. That, or he didn't really trust humans.), but once he convinces Naetle that Pikachu is his Pokémon, he 'Naetle's what is pretty much Poké-speak for "gomennasai...;_;". Kawaii~ ^^ He also seems to have a bit of a justice issue, as the dispute with Geodude and Mankey showed.XD

Poor Ash, he temporarily forgets twice that he's in the water in order to tell Pikachu to Thunderbolt and Iron Tail.XD Also, he's gonna have a Psyduck-sized headache if Naetle keeps biting him on the head like that!:p

CyberCubed
24th October 2006, 5:43 AM
Jesus, upon watching this episode again, Hikari and Brock were awfully bland in this episode.

Hikari is acting like May at the worst point of her run, when she was somewhat bland in the fillers of BF. Jeez, it isn't a good sign when we're only 5 episodes in and Hikari reminds you of the blandness of Johto Misty and filler episode May.

She showed a lot of spunk and promise in D/P #1-3, what the hell happened to it?

lucario 1993
24th October 2006, 7:26 PM
cant ash catch another starter other then grass type thats always unknown

MrKornWallas
25th October 2006, 6:08 AM
When doese Pokemon Diamond and pearl come out in Australia or New Zealand?

lucario 1993
25th October 2006, 9:57 AM
probobly late 2007

gamefreak5034
26th October 2006, 2:53 AM
...In Japan. :\

Anyway, watched the episode yesterday. And I was adequately pleased with it.

Naetle was so damn adorable. It seemed to project a wide range of emotions - being tough when trying to protect Pikachu from Rocket Gang, showing guilt when he finds out that Satoshi is Pikachu's trainer (it beat the crap out of him when he was trying to get Pikachu back...), and showed its appreciation by biting Satoshi's head...in appreciation! ;P I admit that this episode seemed to remind me alot of the episode where Satoshi caught Fushigidane (maybe because it's a grass type starter, and it originally belonged to someone else?), though. But really, personality-wise, he's actually nothing like Fushigidane (Fushigidane was protrayed as a tough protector of orphaned Pokemon when it was introduced. Naetle is more of an energetic, emotional, "I'll act tough because I want to" kind of Pokemon). I guess I liked the battle at the end (Naetle seems to be a good and capable fighter. I think it's kind of interesting that Satoshi has a Pokemon that knows a recovery move, Synthesis, in his party now).

...AND I'VE HAD IT WITH THESE F*CKING RANDOM EXPLOSIONS. ;_;

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/784/vlcsnap39123pp1.png http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/4976/vlcsnap39222um0.png

:\

Thank you that was by far the lamest freakin excuse for an explosion in the history of the anime

i thought that the use was synthesis was cool though considering its a first for ash

hate how they totally copied bulbasaurs capture shows they're running out of ideas plus the fact that pikachu seemed completely helpless in the beginning sucked 2

BattleFranky~40
26th October 2006, 2:55 AM
hate how they totally copied bulbasaurs capture shows they're running out of ideas

And you didn't notice this before?

gamefreak5034
26th October 2006, 2:57 AM
i did, but i dont think they were as obvious as this one

CyberCubed
26th October 2006, 2:58 AM
Naetle will be cool when it evolves, but right now, its nothing but a poor mans Bulbasaur.

And I see Ash's flying type keeps up the tradition of having zero personality. Jesus Christ, and its already going to pop TR's balloon.

Thank god that thing evolves twice.

BattleFranky~40
26th October 2006, 3:00 AM
Mukkuru actually showed some emotion in this episode. Which is more than I can say for the other birds.

Also, I never remember Bulbasaur having Bite.

Gravy
26th October 2006, 6:37 PM
Mukkuru actually showed some emotion in this episode. Which is more than I can say for the other birds.
All the birds have had that 'OSNAP!' expression of surprisitude before, so it's not like our little drain-bamaged fowl is faring any better than Ash's other feathered friends thus far. Try saying that 5 times fast!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to GET NAETORU!™

Pokemon Fan
28th October 2006, 2:19 AM
And I see Ash's flying type keeps up the tradition of having zero personality. Jesus Christ, and its already going to pop TR's balloon.
What ever happened to Swellow being spoken of as having been treated best out of Ash's birds in terms of battle time and personality?

CyberCubed
28th October 2006, 10:39 PM
I don't recall people ever claiming that Swellow had a great personality. Just that it was an excellent battler and was actually treated as a strong Pokemon unlike Pidgeot and Noctowl.

lucario 1993
29th October 2006, 1:54 PM
man doesnt hikari have anger issues or what?????

Kabuto
31st October 2006, 1:56 AM
Pretty standard capture episode, I liked the iron tail on the tree in the battle even though I expected it, it still looked damn cool. I am glad Naetoru has the ability to be the next Sceptile.

eonteam123456
3rd November 2006, 7:50 AM
I liked the part with the Naetoru in it. It looked so cool and munchy (whatever that means.)

futuramagirl
3rd November 2006, 8:25 AM
I wondering if Naetoru will
not evolve(Bulbasaur)
evolve once(Bayleef)
evolve twice(Sceptile)
I hope he doesn't evolve because I don't like his family much

eonteam123456
4th November 2006, 2:04 PM
I liked this bit: Geodude left, Mankey right, Naetoru middle.

Pacman
21st November 2006, 5:15 AM
Naetoru is awesome. Ash seems to like the Grass Type Starters.

Knight_Ram
2nd December 2006, 10:43 PM
Im sick of Ash and his damn grass starters! He need to get a water one! And get it fully evolved, because he doesnt have one yet! He better get that Naetoru to its final form or hes just straight up, an idiot! Im so sick of him getting those ones... Jezzzzz

Maestro Kinético
3rd December 2006, 3:12 PM
Boring and a clone of Bulbasur's episode. I like Naetle though.

squirtleboy12
11th December 2006, 12:07 PM
i didnt wanted him to get naetoru as his starter...

8/10

Ice-Shard
19th January 2007, 4:15 PM
I think Ash is going to stick to Grass starters for a long time I think the creators think that grass types suits his stlye of battleing

Anonymous Trainer
28th January 2007, 2:39 PM
I think Ash is going to stick to Grass starters for a long time I think the creators think that grass types suits his stlye of battleing

Yeah if they want to lose most of their fans and the series to fall downhill. I get where you're going though. I just think they did not get the idea that Ash getting every grass starter created so far is boring everyone. -.-

Spoinked Ursaring
9th February 2007, 12:16 AM
Naetouru is a tutle Pokemon like Torkoal, Squirtle, Wartorte, and Blastoise.XD

Spoinked Ursaring
Naetouru is a tutle Pokemon like Torkoal, Squirtle, Wartorte, and Blastoise.XD

Korobooshi Kojiro
Despite the fact Torkoal is more of a tortoise...

cradily
11th February 2007, 8:49 AM
i wonder when i can watch that episode it doesn't even have shinou serise where i live

CyberCubed
13th February 2007, 5:16 AM
Jeez, the title of this thread threw me for a loop.

Can you imagine Ash saying, "Turtwig, use Razor leaf!" with his PUSA voice? lol.

Mythic Mist
13th February 2007, 6:05 AM
Yes, I can, actually. However, I can't imagine Shinji saying "Chimchar".

>_O *twitch*

Korobooshi Kojiro
13th February 2007, 11:10 AM
G-R-E-A-T..

Now the Japanese Name I Don't Even Know The Meaning Of Crowd will complain since the name has been changed.

Lishus13
14th February 2007, 1:11 AM
God, what is going to be the name of this episode in English?

"Turtwiggin' out"

>_>

Korobooshi Kojiro
14th February 2007, 1:23 AM
It's "Tor-twig" not "Tort-wig".

Dax
14th February 2007, 1:35 AM
I need to watch this episode...:( Turtwig? It's funny...

flyboy1308
14th February 2007, 1:43 AM
I would give the episode an 8/10 these are two things that interested me more than others
-Team rocket actually tried to drown ash i must say they really are getting lower

They did that before in Pokemon Papparazzi
They are mean! ;:-!

Ryano Ra
14th February 2007, 3:04 AM
Overall, the episode was exceptionally good.

I'm glad that Ash caught a Turtwig, and the entire concept that for a second season, he didn't capture the entire team of starters (hint hint; the Kanto gang and the Johto tribe). I like Turtwig a lot and hopefully, it will evolve into that first-stage thingy. Hashiaygame or something. >.> But I liked it. Nice, fresh addition to his team.

corkhead87
19th February 2007, 1:42 AM
the episode was good but it was dissapointing on how naetoru talks. will they change it when it comes out in America?

RageKaiser
19th February 2007, 2:08 AM
the episode was good but it was dissapointing on how naetoru talks. will they change it when it comes out in America?

Considering that "Nao nao (or nae nae whatever)" sounds nothing like "Turtwig" then I'm guessing yes.

WaterDragon trainer
12th June 2007, 2:56 AM
This episode was good, although the episode title is kind of lame. I wonder if Ash chased after TR for while, why didn’t he send out Starly sooner. I like how helpful and friendly Turtwig is. You think since TR is in Sinnoh, they’d get a different shaped submarine. It was cool to see Synthesis in the anime. I like how Ash now has a biting Grass type pokemon just like James. I found it funny how Turtwig is such a little biter.

CyberCubed
12th June 2007, 3:25 AM
When this episode aired in Japan, I was a bit worried about the future of D/P.

Thankfully the series picks up right after this ep and is gold through the following weeks.

Dax
12th June 2007, 3:25 AM
I'm not a fan of Turtwig and I'm surprised that the little bit of personality he had is suddenly gone now. He doesn't bite Ash anymore and that was a detail that made him special.

It was good and for some reason I enjoy a lot the voice of the little turtle.

When this episode aired in Japan, I was a bit worried about the future of D/P.

Thankfully the series picks up right after this ep and is gold through the following weeks.

To be honest the beginnings of D/P were really boring and actually rather Johto-like which I didn't like at all. I agree with you that after this episode things finally started to get interesting and fun.

jolteonjak
12th June 2007, 3:37 AM
Meh, this was ok for me. Ash with yet another Grass type starter bugs me, but oh well.

Anyone else think Pikachu beat up Turtwig pretty badly before it was caught beside me?

Dax
12th June 2007, 3:39 AM
Anyone else think Pikachu beat up Turtwig pretty badly before it was caught beside me?
Every Ash pokemon has a disturbing nature this season. Staravia is brain-damaged, Turtwig is now brain-damaged. Ash's pokemon are in danger...

S.Suikun
12th June 2007, 3:40 AM
Ah, the infamous "Carnivine detonates" episode. (Did I mention how great Carnivine's dub voice is?) This episode always struck me as a weaker version of the Bulbasaur episode way back in Kanto. And the bug-eyed old lady is creepy as hell.

Surreal
12th June 2007, 4:11 AM
Ah, the infamous "Carnivine detonates" episode. (Did I mention how great Carnivine's dub voice is?) This episode always struck me as a weaker version of the Bulbasaur episode way back in Kanto. And the bug-eyed old lady is creepy as hell.

Ha, I love carnivines dub voice. And ya, this was just like the Baulbasaur episode.

Dax
12th June 2007, 4:13 AM
Ha, I love carnivines dub voice. And ya, this was just like the Baulbasaur episode.
Carnivine voice for me is the best one yet. It's crazy and it fits the pokemon perfectly plus is very unique.

Kuroshi
12th June 2007, 4:40 AM
As others have said, this episode was very similar to Bulbasaur's debut episode, right down to Turtwig battling Ash before going with him.
Turtwig was fun, it's too bad he kinda goes generic later in DP.

Team Rocket was really funny in this episode, and Carnivine's voice gives it super random explosion powers!

Medea
12th June 2007, 11:46 AM
Hmm...I kinda zoned out of the episode halfway through because it reminded me too much of the Bulbasaur episode way the hell back in the first season. But again, glad to see Ash got the grass type starter of this region.

*Bulbasaur
*Chikorita/Bayleef
*Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile
*Turtwig

Wynaut?
12th June 2007, 12:03 PM
Aw, this was a nice little episode. I like what they did with Turtwig personality-wise and seeing Pikachu trying to shake Turtwig off of it's tail was a laugh.

And yeah, I saw the similarities with Bulbasaur's episode too, but I wasn't complaining much :)

Geodude
12th June 2007, 12:33 PM
I liked the capture battle and the way Ash got the idea to have Pikachu use Iron Tail to slam Turtwig against the tree.

Korobooshi Kojiro
12th June 2007, 12:45 PM
The lack of Ash's New Theme in the dub made me sad, here's hoping tommoro doesn't cut out the full version.

scissorX
13th June 2007, 12:09 AM
I really disliked how they set Turtwig up to have some personality in this episode. But then again I really liked the personality that was shown.

Paradise Sky
13th June 2007, 7:40 PM
Am I the only one who found the old lady to be creepy and suspicious? She looked like she talked out of the corner of her mouth! Half the episode I was expecting her to tear of her costume, revealing her to be Jessie, and steal Pikachu!

RageKaiser
14th June 2007, 5:49 AM
This entire episode's music made me want to slam my head into a wall.
I am getting SO SICK of that crappy instrumental crap that PUSA is replacing ALL the music with. I counted maybe 2 original pieces of music in the episode. I may be off by one though.

Other than that, I like Turtwig's voice it is cute.
Still loving the TR motto except for the "In your ear" stuff x_x;

Pearl's Perap
14th June 2007, 11:39 AM
Turtwig made this episode for me, obviously, his voice is cute, his attitude towards well...people he likes is just adorable.

One thing about this episode that p*ssed me off, was Team Rocket, I'm sick of the new motto already, it really is terrible, especially Meowth's parts...the only good thing brought by T.R in this episode was Carnivine, who I am falling in love with each time it is shown...

Glad Ash caught Turtwig rather than one of the other starters OR all the starters, like with Kanto/Johto.

7/10

flyboy1308
4th July 2007, 6:16 AM
IT is a rip-off of the Bulbasode.

npdargy312
18th July 2007, 9:01 AM
seems a bit early 4 Ash 2 already have 4 pokemon but w/e

Rebeccag
11th February 2008, 11:37 AM
Ive only had the chance to see this episode this morning but I liked it ^_^. It did remind me a bit of the bulbasaur episode in Kanto but I do like Turtwig espically its voice ^_^
The old lady was a bit strange though but it made me laugh how it kept clamping down on Ashs hat and then Turtwig carried on doing that in the next episode ^_^
Overall a okish episode but a good capture episode

palkia1
22nd February 2008, 10:36 AM
Well i just saw this episode for the first time today and it so reminds me of the episode where Ash caught Bulbasaur. Just when Turtwig and Pikachu were on the battlefield, it seemed like Pikachu and Bulbasaur all over again.

That being said i liked this episode considerably better. Turtwig's voice is awesome and i love that Ash caught it (it being one of my fave Pokemon) even though i hate Ash. I loved seeing Turtwig get a main role in the show. Let's hope there's no Chimchar though i'm sure there will be (beside Paul's).

Carnivine's voice was also cool but it was also used in a previous episode. I just loved Turtwig in this episode. It was so awesome

Alf Tuggy
26th March 2008, 7:35 PM
One of my favorite D and P episodes,Turtwig(Tuggy)is one of my favorites.

bhrettzerda053
9th April 2008, 11:27 PM
Of course, Geodude was right. Turtwig's good at doing a Razor leaf since maybe all the grass-type starters could learn that move. Well, back to the episode, I think Ash obtained his first grass-type Pokemon in Sinnoh after catching Naetoru(Turtwig).

wobbanut
17th August 2008, 10:32 PM
I think they could have done without the rehash of Bulbasaur's original episode, but the whole thing with Turtwig's penchant for biting is pretty funny, even if we don't see it very often.

I liked that they started this epsiode a bit different than usual, with Team Rocket already having stolen Pikachu and the twerps pursuing them. I like the look on Turtwig's face too when Pikachu's tail lights up for an iron tail while it has its mouth clamped on the tail. LOL

Rommath
13th February 2009, 4:39 PM
The Bulbasaur re-hash wasn't needed, the writers should at least try something different.

The biting bit was funny but now that Turtwig's, well, no longer one, I doubt it could pull it off now, without possibly cracking Ash's skull.

Turtwig was a funny Pokemon in this episode and beyond though, I found.

Littlemyuu
6th March 2009, 3:35 PM
Nice episode, Turtwig is a cute grass Pokemon, funny how he is trowards Ash and co

Blue Snover
9th March 2009, 3:26 PM
I like Turtwig, i think it's cute how it bites onto Ash's head to show that it cares.

The way it looked after Pikachu, kind of reminded me of how Bulbasaur was the first time Ash met it.

(s.i.e)
10th March 2009, 1:37 PM
ah, this is one of my favorite episodes, like blue snover already mentioned it's cute but also funny to see how turtwig bites on to ash's head:P

Deicario
28th April 2009, 10:26 AM
It's a nice, little episode with interesting development and bearing less than expected similarity to the Bulbasuar episode. But who didn't just think that Turtwig would join Ash at the end?
7.5/10.

milenadrg
2nd May 2009, 11:17 AM
It was great episode! I really liked Turtwig's personality and how it bites Ash's head...

pokeLOVE
7th May 2009, 1:44 AM
I love turtwig he is sooo cute!!! and how he shared his food was sweet.

CyberCubed
9th May 2009, 3:54 AM
God, this episode was terrible.

Not only was it a blatant rehash of Bulbasaur's capture episode, it was a lot worse and a lot more mundane.

You know, I hate it when important episodes feel like bad fillers. Its because of this that you can't skip them when you do your rewatch of the show.

S.Suikun
9th May 2009, 6:42 PM
Here we are at Day 5, and I'll mix English and Japanese names as I damn well please. At times rewatching some of these is a pleasure; other times, it's a masochistic chore. Here's DP's first instance of the latter...

Naetle was a Pokemon often slandered for not having any disitnguishable personality, especially in comparison to Bulbasaur, Chikorita, and Treecko, all of which were very vibrant. Even its quirk of clamping Satoshi's head was dropped after only a few episodes. It is only fitting, then, that its capture episode feels about as Johto-esque as the Pokemon itself. I cannot think of a more formulaic capture episode. A) Satoshi meets territorial starter Pokemon. B) He attempts to befriend it because he wants to capture it. C) Insignificant COTD does nothing significant. D) TR steals Pokemon. E) Ash saves said Pokemon, thus gaining its trust. F) Pikachu battles Pokemon. G) Satoshi captures Pokemon.

Most capture episodes are indeed formulaic (though the Greggle one coming up is pretty fun), but this episode does not even pretend to do anything different than not only Bulbasaur's capture, but was about as mundane as what we used to see in Johto. The old lady was a very uninteresting character, but I do give this episode some minor points for Masukippa's explosion. Simply put, this episode's main problem was a decade worth of age in which the same thing time and again becomes incredibly stale. Talk about Pokemon being a repetitive show all you want; the story pieces are generally told differently, however. This was not, and was a bad omen for Naetle in the future, who continued to have the personality of Cyndaquil (i.e. None). This continues to be my least favorite capture episode of Sinnoh.

D+

Torpoleon
12th May 2009, 3:06 PM
Turtwig is cool and like how it bites Ashes head and us a leader.(like me lol) Woth the episode title, I think when they say it at the end of the song they should have said it cooler, with more pizzaz.(spelt right?)

Rainbowdashtheawesome
17th July 2009, 5:46 PM
The only thing I found annoying about this episode is that they never did find out what exactly had happened to that Linoone. It looked like it had just been attacked by something, yet they didn't even want to know what? What they should have done is leave Team Rocket out of this episode and have a big brawl between Turtwig and the pokemon that hurt Linoone; saying it was an Aggron, Tyranitar, or some other big brute like that.

Ash-kid
12th August 2009, 5:16 PM
Turtwig was cool, like the last grass type of ash, it tackled ash...
And The battle with Pikachu was great

catzisconfus
16th August 2009, 9:12 PM
good episode, i like turtwig ^^

9/10

STICKTOPIA
19th September 2009, 2:32 AM
yay turtwig!

Surfer_Dude
25th October 2009, 9:34 AM
Turtwig is such a kind pokemon. He is really awesome! I am so happy that ash got him!

Lorde
19th November 2009, 3:21 AM
Turtwig reminded me too much of Bulbasaur and that's sort of bad. I didn't like this episode very much, because it was basically recycled from a similar Kanto episode about a Grass Starter. Still seemed to be quite Filler-y despite Turtwig being caught by Ash, which was something we pretty much all expected to happen. 3/10.

Shadow XD001
30th November 2009, 11:05 PM
This episode was pretty good, and I liked the episode title as well. Glad Ash caught Turtwig, now look at it.

KGB13
14th January 2010, 6:21 PM
I hate the episode title because it reminds me of that horrible Will Smith song lol. Turtwig reminded me of Bulbasaur...a lot, but I don't mind. Pretty good episode.

JohnLee
9th February 2010, 11:41 PM
I hate the episode title because it reminds me of that horrible Will Smith song lol. Turtwig reminded me of Bulbasaur...a lot, but I don't mind. Pretty good episode.

Haha me too! A Pokemon episodes should not remind me of Will Smith! I didn't really mind at all that turtwig was so much like bulbasaur. It reminded me of the good ole days and that suits me. I was hoping that Ash would get a turtwig!

TurtwigTurt
26th March 2010, 2:44 AM
I loved this episode ^^ Its great because I LOVE Turtwig!!!!

Willow's Tara
31st May 2010, 4:45 AM
It definitely did remind me of the Bulbasaur capture episode (Chimchar in a way was kind of similar to Charmander's episode but both were good). This episode wasn't that great really, it was okay however. They even had an Oddish in this episode much like the one in Bulbasaur's episode.

Turtwig biting Ash's head is funny, now he knows what James feels like when that happens, they should have kept it going when it evolved. And then evolved into Torterra, can you imagine a Torterra chasing Ash trying to bite on his head lol and Ash running away

saar
8th July 2010, 3:52 PM
This episode was cool... It reminded me the episodes with Treeck, Chikorita and Bulbasaur, and here too, the Grass pokemon defended the wild weak pokemon as Linoone and Geodude. But of course it was kind.:)

~Platinum~
19th July 2010, 4:23 AM
And then evolved into Torterra, can you imagine a Torterra chasing Ash trying to bite on his head lol and Ash running away[/Spoil]

Hahaha that would never get old.
So, five episodes into Sinnoh and Ash already has a party of four pokemon. In my Pearl version I didn't have four pokemon in my party until I reached the Eterna Forest. Seems like the writers are trying to cram everything important into these first few episodes. Well, Ash is continuing his catch-the-grass-type-starter-pokemon-from-each-generation streak. I like how in the Pikachu vs Turtwig battle Turtwig used Bite on Pikachu's tail and Pikachu Iron Tailed Turtwig into a tree. That was my favorite part. Also, Turtwig biting Ash's head was kind of cute.

RickHoenn
13th October 2010, 4:35 PM
Yup! Ash catch his 2nd Sinnoh poke, Turtwig, it was my 1st poke in Platinum! I love it! :D <333

Nice ep overall, it reminded me of Bulbasaur hidden village :( nostalgic!!!

9.5/10

Painkiller2001
6th November 2010, 12:03 AM
From the pictures, this episode looks entertaining. Sadly, though, the moment I saw Naetle, I knew it was similar in personality. I'm glad, though, that it has its own defining characteristics.

And Ash's Pokemon seem in love with his hat...

I was thinking the exact same thing!

At first I thought that Turtwig was only the second Pokemon Ash has caught this season (not including Pikachu, he's always with him). But I always forget that he has Aipom with him as well.

I think I'm the first one to point this out but, did anyone else find it adorable how Turtwig was sitting with Ash in that one scene?

Lance The Champ
28th November 2010, 9:19 AM
Ash's Turwig had more speed than an ordinary Turtwig

G50
27th April 2011, 4:39 AM
This episode was ok... It was cool to see Ash befriend Turtwig and then keep it. It was cool that Turtwig knows Synthesis. Finally 1 of Ash's Pokemon know their own healing move. It's cool and unexpected that Turtwig knows Bite attack. It's funny how Turtwig just loves to bite Ash's head for affection. Turtwig is one quick Pokemon.

43/100

BurningSociety12345543210
27th May 2011, 10:39 PM
Well....the episode was.......interesting......

I did like that Ash got Turtwig. n_n

The sandwich
9th August 2011, 12:29 AM
Ash catching Turtwig was ok.

TheSirPeras
7th January 2012, 11:55 AM
i miss the good fast powerful twiggy

legendarycharizard
8th January 2012, 6:04 AM
Magikrap + pikachu + turtwig =

Poketastic episode

BurningSociety12345543210
9th June 2012, 8:59 PM
Poor Turtwig (or Torterra). I really think he should have been the star of Sinnoh instead of Ugly Monkey. Oh well. This was a nice episode.

Dawn+Serena Fan
24th August 2012, 10:54 PM
I love this episode. Ash catches Turtwig, one of my favorite Pokemon in this series :D. The battle between Turtwig and Pikachu also kinda reminds me of Bulbasaur vs Pikachu back in the 1st season.
I give this a 9/10

PokemontrainerY
30th August 2013, 2:23 AM
It's cool too Turtwig defending those wild Pokémon, Turtwig reminded me of Bulbasaur and Treeko....who also protected wild Pokémon in their debut episodes.
I'm glad Ash got a Turtwig for his team, it's funny when Turtwig was playfully bit his head.