PDA

View Full Version : Good Mangas

/\One Piece/\
24th October 2006, 4:57 AM
Just need a list of a few good ones, getting tired of waiting for a new one piece chapter every week...I want to pick up Death Note, But are there any other worth While Mangas? Thanks much!!!

BattleFranky~40
24th October 2006, 5:09 AM
Hunter x Hunter
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Eyeshield 21
Berserk
20th Century Boys
Happy
Monster
Pluto
1st Arc of Death Note
Hajime no Ippo
Akira
Fruits Basket
Yotsuba&!
Azumanga Daioh
Rurouni Kenshin
Great Teacher Onizuka
Maison Ikkoku
Ranma 1/2
Urusei Yatsura
Blade of the Immortal
Lone Wolf and Cub
NANA
Genshiken
Welcome to the NHK
Honey and Clover
Hellsing
Chrono Crusade
SaiKano
Slam Dunk
Bitter Virgin
Chobits
Fullmetal Alchemist
Homunculus
Ghost in the Shell (with some exceptions)
Hikaru no Go
Kare Kano
Hot Gimmick
Gantz
Flame of Recca
Mushishi
Negima
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Ouran High School Host Club
Saint Seiya
School Rumble
Suzuka
Parfait Tic
Cardcaptor Sakura
Excel Saga
Fist of the North Star
Slayers

Catalyst
24th October 2006, 5:19 AM
lol @ first arc of Death Note.

Read Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, it is god. But yeah, Battle Franky sucked the potential out of this topic with his massive list. XD

/\One Piece/\
24th October 2006, 5:27 AM
lol guess i should of said at max list 3 good mangas.. but thanks anyway Battlefranky :P

BattleFranky~40
24th October 2006, 5:30 AM
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Berserk
20th Century Boys

Focus on those three, then.

That Scary Clefairy
24th October 2006, 5:52 AM
lol @ first arc of Death Note.

Read Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, it is god. But yeah, Battle Franky sucked the potential out of this topic with his massive list. XD

nah he had alot more to go though i disagree with some of his choices.

here's some others:

Eden:It's an Endless World.
Trigun Maximum
Crying Freedman
Old Boy
Koroshiya 1(it's very sick though)
MPD Psycho
Levithian
Blame!
Golgo 13
damn i could go on and on

/\One Piece/\
24th October 2006, 6:24 AM
Is Death Note Finished or is there new ones every week

Catalyst
24th October 2006, 6:46 AM
It finished in like... May, a total of 114 chapters... I think.

SamsGFX
24th October 2006, 9:56 AM
Demon Diaries
King Of Hell
.hack//LoTB
Kingdom Hearts

Neko Godot
24th October 2006, 8:47 PM
Negima, Zatch Bell, and Bo^7 are pretty good.

zonic the hedgehog
24th October 2006, 9:27 PM
Hmm, Franky's list lacks two of my favorite mangas, BECK and Narutaru, so I'll go ahead and recommend those to you. :P

BECK [mongolian chop squad] is about a kid who learns to play guitar and eventually joins a band that becomes very popular. It's worth reading because the characters are very unique, and black people don't get the short of the stick for once (as in, they don't randomly show up and do nothing).

Narutaru is harder to describe, because I kinda couldn't tell just what the hell was going on at times, but the main story is about creatures called 'Dragonets'/'Dragons' which can have an attachment to the people they meet.
Emotional drama and disturbing things occur after Shiina (main character) encounters one of these dragons (who she names Hoshimaru), which results in death, violence, and tragedy for people around her and into her own life.

I can't think of anymore than that, since Franky listed all the ones I was going to say. :F

Ridley-X4
24th October 2006, 11:04 PM
Kingdom Hearts

You're kidding, right?

Jojo's bizzare adventure

WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Anyhow, chose Neon Genesis Evangelion or Azumanga Daioh.

BattleFranky~40
24th October 2006, 11:36 PM
Hmm, Franky's list lacks two of my favorite mangas, BECK and Narutaru, so I'll go ahead and recommend those to you. :P
I knew I forgot something

Trigun Maximum
Trigun. Trigun Maximum. Meh, same difference.

Neko Godot
25th October 2006, 12:27 AM
Kingdom Hearts
lol Kingdumb Hearts

Why not just play the game, it must be much more fun and exciting than reading the manga.

/\One Piece/\
25th October 2006, 6:20 AM
I picked up death note and love it

BattleFranky~40
25th October 2006, 6:29 AM
I picked up death note and love it

Now, just stop reading around mid-volume 7, and it'll be all right.

Catalyst
25th October 2006, 7:22 AM
So I heard L's name was... Lawliet

/\One Piece/\
25th October 2006, 7:25 AM
Whats so wrong? does the stroy Change alot or something>

Catalyst
25th October 2006, 7:34 AM
Seriously, I'll tell you in spoilers, but be warned, it's a plot twist and such, so it sort of kills the "OMFGWTF" ness, here... I'll give you a hint and say it includes the much loved "L". Don't read any further if you don't want to be spoiled, I'm not getting hated. ">___>

L dies.

That Scary Clefairy
25th October 2006, 8:33 AM
So I heard L's name was... Lawliet

what kind of japanese has the name Lawliet?!?!? LOL

SamsGFX
25th October 2006, 10:07 AM
You're kidding, right?

No jokes, the KH manga is good in my opinion

com_gwp
25th October 2006, 5:39 PM
You're kidding, right?

No jokes, the KH manga is good in my opinion

They are decent, just not...good in any sense. The game proves to be a much better experience like kagome said.

And i find death note's second arc just as good as the first arc was, just that....

L's death really took a lot of fun out of the book. Sure, near's pretty cool himself, but the magic of the first half just seemed lost after that

zonic the hedgehog
25th October 2006, 8:38 PM
And i find death note's second arc just as good as the first arc was, just that....

L's death really took a lot of fun out of the book. Sure, near's pretty cool himself, but the magic of the first half just seemed lost after that

That's not the only thing people hate about the second arc/ending.

If you start reading after Volume 9, they start repeating too many things they said in other chapters except maybe elaborating further, which requires big damn amount of reading that screws up your brain and gets you confused (I started speed-reading by Volume 8, and I kinda forgot some character names in the process).

Aside from that, the ending sucks.

Ryuk kills Light with the Death Note and somehow contradicts what he said in the first few chapters about Heaven and Hell existing.

In other words, the main character doesn't win. The manga would've been better if he did, because it would be one of the off-times that a villain would have won, which would have been cool... >_>

I suggest watching the anime instead for that last arc (when the anime gets there), since the episodes will be a lot more condensed and more worth your time than sitting and reading that keeps repeating itself.

Unless, of course, the anime producers don't animate the second arc or change the storyline for the anime...

That Scary Clefairy
25th October 2006, 11:30 PM
Ryuk kills Light with the Death Note and somehow contradicts what he said in the first few chapters about Heaven and Hell existing.

In other words, the main character doesn't win. The manga would've been better if he did, because it would be one of the off-times that a villain would have won, which would have been cool... >_>

I personally hate Light so i'm happy he got killed anyway. serve that bastard. Even if it contradicted the beginning.

BattleFranky~40
25th October 2006, 11:32 PM
I hate Light as well.

However, my hate of the character doesn't justify the ending in my eyes.

Neko Godot
25th October 2006, 11:43 PM
They are decent, just not...good in any sense. The game proves to be a much better experience like kagome said.
Teh name's Kagome Lover, or KL, NOT Kagome!

I read a random volume of Ranma 1/2 before (there was an imposter Ranma) and it was quite good.

BattleFranky~40
25th October 2006, 11:51 PM
Teh name's Kagome Lover, or KL, NOT Kagome!

Don't be picky. I'm called by about 5 different names, only one of which I prefer being called.

Now, more manga.

Bad Company
The Early Years
Nausicań of the Valley of the Wind
xxxHolic
Angel Sanctuary
Fushigi Yugi
Battle Angel Alita
Marmalade Boy
Adolf
Emma
Glass Mask
Touch
Vagabond
Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko
Planetes

That Scary Clefairy
26th October 2006, 3:05 AM
Don't be picky. I'm called by about 5 different names, only one of which I prefer being called.

Now, more manga.

Bad Company
The Early Years
Nausicań of the Valley of the Wind
xxxHolic
Angel Sanctuary
Fushigi Yugi
Battle Angel Alita
Marmalade Boy
Adolf
Emma
Glass Mask
Touch
Vagabond
Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko
Planetes

i love yokohama Kaidashi Kiko. nice peaceful calm...good stuff.

Oh, btw, it's called Shonen Junai Gumi. Bad Company is actaully a small chapter from SJG. I was taken out when they re did the 15 volume collection and made in to it's own "one shot" volume. Even tough it's suppose to take place before SJG in SJG it was a flashback scene.

Korobooshi Kojiro
26th October 2006, 3:10 AM
No Keroro Gunsou (Sgt. Frog)?

Kero-kero-go pick it up!

Neko Godot
26th October 2006, 3:14 AM
Gonna suggest Shaman King, the volume I read was pretty good.

teal
26th October 2006, 3:20 AM
Rurouni Kenshin, if not already suggested, is honestly the greatest Manga ever produced. The ending to the Kyoto Arc is so completely brilliant, and the story would be complete if ending there, I don't know about the Revenge Arc to much, but the past stuff is quite good.

But still, Shishio is one of the greatest villains in all of Japanese Literature.

That Scary Clefairy
26th October 2006, 3:31 AM
Rurouni Kenshin, if not already suggested, is honestly the greatest Manga ever produced. The ending to the Kyoto Arc is so completely brilliant, and the story would be complete if ending there, I don't know about the Revenge Arc to much, but the past stuff is quite good.

But still, Shishio is one of the greatest villains in all of Japanese Literature.

as much as I like RK i don't consider it the greatest ever nor do i consider Shishio the greatest villian ever.

I've seen better ones out there.

BattleFranky~40
26th October 2006, 3:48 AM
as much as I like RK i don't consider it the greatest ever nor do i consider Shishio the greatest villian ever.

I've seen better ones out there.
Hell, IMO there are better villians in RK itself than Shishio.

Catalyst
26th October 2006, 5:29 AM
Gonna suggest Shaman King, the volume I read was pretty good.
Yes, let us all pick up Shaman King the series which has an ending which doesn't really end.

That Scary Clefairy
26th October 2006, 6:31 AM
Hell, IMO there are better villians in RK itself than Shishio.

Like Jin'e Udou. too bad he is underated. only other villian besides Saito to bring out Battosai from Kenshin. Shinsengumi ftw.

HK
27th October 2006, 4:06 AM
Damn it, Franky, you make me feel so damn useless! Though I will have to disagree with what little I've checked out of Negima and Hot Gimmick. An Akamatsu work (Lova Hina made me lose brain cells, and I am *almost* certain of that) for the former and the definition of a melodrama for the latter? Ugh, no thanks. Oh, and pretty much anything past the first three volumes of Sadamoto's manga adaption of Evangelion is contrived and mishandled bullsh*t (yet I keep up with the scans just out of curiosity for how he is going to end it soon).

Oh, and uh, the second half of Death Note was awful because the writing was redundant and very poor, not because of what happened to THAT CHARACTER.

Anyway, uh, to list some manga that hasn't actually been said yet:

Abandon the Old in Tokyo
Bakune Young
Benkei in New York
Black & White
Blue
Blue Spring
Claymore
D.Gray-man
Dance Till Tomorrow
Doing Time
Domu: A Child's Dream
Dragon Head
The Drifting Classroom
Eternal Sabbath
Hotel Harbour View
Love Roma
Nodame Cantabile
Phoenix
Priest [Manwha]
The Push Man and Other Stories
Secret Comics Japan
Sexy Voice and Robo
Short Cuts
Smuggler
The Times of Botchan
Voyeur
The Walking Man
Who Fighter with Heart of Darkness
Yakitate!! Japan

Claymore and D.Gray-man are guilty pleasures of shounen manga for me, and Priest is the only manwha that I like for its action art, so "feh" on those who don't like 'em.

For manga that I have yet to read but will eventually own/eventually read:

A Patch of Dreams
Awabi
Battle Angel Alita: Last Order
Buddha
Dolis
Gon
Kinderbook
Ode to Kirihito
Ohikkoshi
Tanpenshu
Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms

I'll be damned if I still have yet to see Fanfare/Ponent Mon put Takahama's Awabi up for availability.

All of the above is available stateside or else will soon become available stateside, thus the only issue here would be money and being able to find used copies of some of the rarer manga online.

So, yeah, if you want to immerse yourself in manga that is worthwhile (and the majority of them are mature and would sooner be read by the comic crowd than what the typical manga fan over here in North America would pick up), then just take your pick.

mugen33
28th October 2006, 4:00 AM
Like Jin'e Udou. too bad he is underated. only other villian besides Saito to bring out Battosai from Kenshin. Shinsengumi ftw.

Damn it man your the first guy i met that agrees with me! Jin-e is really underrated, no doubt.

And is Beck, Nausicaa, and Jojos Bizarre Adeventure really that good? Because ive been thinking of picking them up, but i dont know....Please people i need help.

That Scary Clefairy
28th October 2006, 4:15 AM
Damn it man your the first guy i met that agrees with me! Jin-e is really underrated, no doubt.

And is Beck, Nausicaa, and Jojos Bizarre Adeventure really that good? Because ive been thinking of picking them up, but i dont know....Please people i need help.

lol we agreed on a lot of things! Yea, Jin'e my fav and he also important character foreshadowing the future events. especially what he says befor dying. Plus he's Watsuki's favorite as he said in an interview.

How's Eden btw?

mugen33
28th October 2006, 4:24 AM
haha yea i know. I remember when Watsuki said it was his favorite guy too, and he also said he was in a sense the only guy to actually beat Kenshin, which is true.

Man it sucks i gotta order Eden online because all my local Borders has is volume 1! ill try Barnes and Noble this weekend though. Also does the story pick up after volume 1, because it really seems like it will. I mean the rest wont be as "boring" as the first chapter explaing the disease will it? But dont get me wrong im going to get the next volume, i was just wondering.

That Scary Clefairy
28th October 2006, 4:42 AM
yea sort of. it really picks up in volume 3. It gets really crazy by volume 5.

Neko Godot
28th October 2006, 5:26 AM
I'll also recommend Prince of Tennis, the volume I read was pretty decent, though some of the text was cut off. :(

KyonKyon
28th October 2006, 8:50 AM
chrno crusade was one of my favourites, i cant wait for moriyama sensei's next manga 'world embryo' - http://sanseido-ebina.hontsuna.net/image/world20embryo.bmp

Ugobama
28th October 2006, 3:58 PM
You should try Zatch Bell. Its awesome. You'll love it.

That Scary Clefairy
28th October 2006, 8:24 PM
chrno crusade was one of my favourites, i cant wait for moriyama sensei's next manga 'world embryo' - http://sanseido-ebina.hontsuna.net/image/world20embryo.bmp

there's a website where you download the volumes/chapters out so far. pm me if you want link

Neko Godot
28th October 2006, 10:22 PM
You should try Zatch Bell. Its awesome. You'll love it.
Yes, the manga is pretty good, I just wish they'd get to Victoream.

"Catch my heart, very melon!"

/\One Piece/\
29th October 2006, 5:51 AM
How about Whats your Favorite Manga lets try that ^^

Konosuke
29th October 2006, 6:43 AM
How about Whats your Favorite Manga lets try that ^^

My fave manga? The depends....i suppose.

Bleach,
Naruto,
One Piece,
Flame of Recca,
666 Satan,
Ruroni Kenshin,
Trigun series,
Fullmetal Alchemist,
Hajime no Ippo (Boxing),
Prince of Tennis,
Bowling King,
Hikaru no Go,
Penguin Brothers,
Love Hina,
Fruits Basket,
Ichigo 100%,
Battle Royale,
Elfen Lied,
Eternal Sabbath,
Death Note,
Monster,
Black Cat,
Yakitate!! Japan!,
MAR,
Mahou Sensei Negima,
Yu Yu Hakusho,
Pokemon Adventures/Special,
Beck,
Chobits,
Detective Conan.

I have many favorite Series XD

Wild Cherry
29th October 2006, 10:14 AM
The best? hmm, I like all the mangas I have so far, but the best are:

Fruba
One Piece
Rave Master
Chobits
Black Cat

That Scary Clefairy
29th October 2006, 7:06 PM
My fave manga? The depends....i suppose.
Bowling King,

bowling King isn't a japanese manga. It's made in Taiwan. I guess it can be called a Manhua(chinese word for comic.)

GhostMaker
29th October 2006, 9:02 PM
Hellsing.

Vampires! Ceras Victoria! Action! Blood! Nazivampires! Did I mention Ceras Victoria?

BattleFranky~40
29th October 2006, 9:08 PM
Hellsing.

Vampires! Ceras Victoria! Action! Blood! Nazivampires! Did I mention Ceras Victoria?

Integra> Ceras

GhostMaker
29th October 2006, 9:13 PM
Integra> Ceras

*Twitch*

CerasXIntegra in that case.

That Scary Clefairy
30th October 2006, 1:09 AM
Rip Van Winkle > Ceras and Intergral....

BattleFranky~40
30th October 2006, 1:21 AM
Schr÷dinger> Ri-

Wait, no.

teal
30th October 2006, 1:28 AM

Haha Jin-E lacked any sort of motivation.

'Oh I'm a killer just for the hell of it'
'OMG! Battousai must come out or I'll dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee'

That Scary Clefairy
30th October 2006, 3:23 AM
Haha Jin-E lacked any sort of motivation.

'Oh I'm a killer just for the hell of it'
'OMG! Battousai must come out or I'll dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee'

Dude have you even READ RK??? His blood lust for killing was an after effect for killing so many in the revolution and 10+ years. Kenshin even mention have he kept on being a hitokiri, he would end up like Jin'e.

Jin'e important for showing the horror of being a hitokiri.

If you think Jin'e doesn't have much depth, neither does Aoshi, Shishio, Saito ETC. which all want Kenshin to RELEASE his HITOKIRI MODE!!!!!! OMFG!

Don't sprout **** you don't know.

HK
31st October 2006, 3:42 AM

I can't speak for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure as I haven't read it (and don't really have much of a desire to), but I can attest to Beck and Nausicań of the Valley of the Wind being worthy of collecting (so as long as you aren't put off by multi-volume on-going manga, which the former is). Beck is simply a very good manga with tight character development and also shows how people aspire to reach their dreams in things they love (way better than most of that shounen drivel). Nausicań of the Valley of the Wind is an epic fantasy masterpiece that is pretty much regarded as one of the greatest manga ever created, and deservedly so.

Man it sucks i gotta order Eden online because all my local Borders has is volume 1! ill try Barnes and Noble this weekend though. Also does the story pick up after volume 1, because it really seems like it will. I mean the rest wont be as "boring" as the first chapter explaing the disease will it? But dont get me wrong im going to get the next volume, i was just wondering.

Actually I found the first chapter to be very enjoyable in spite of the "God sucks" dialogue that sparsely came up. Given enough pages Endo can really make an excellent story, which is something to also be noted in the upcoming release of Tanpenshu. Contrastingly, the rest of volume one was lackluster and volume two didn't interest me that much. When Dark Horse released volume three it was than when I really became interested in the series and there were many elements that showed me Endo was not going to cater to the fans like many would want. Volume four keeps at it with arguably the one-on-one fight ever orchestrated in manga. Finally, I've read ahead with the scanlations to volume eleven, and can confirm that Eden is well worth keeping up with.

yea sort of. it really picks up in volume 3. It gets really crazy by volume 5.

Uh, wait, you've read volume five? Dark Horse hasn't put it out yet... so either you've read scans, or else I'm misinterpreting what you said.

That Scary Clefairy
31st October 2006, 4:47 AM
Uh, wait, you've read volume five? Dark Horse hasn't put it out yet... so either you've read scans, or else I'm misinterpreting what you said.

I was giving out what YOU told me. Since I can trust your words on something I haven't read yet.

Dre
1st November 2006, 8:24 AM
Jin-e was one of the best, if not actually THE best RK villian in the story. He was REALLY good for showing what COULD have happened to Kenshin.

He gave a lot of info about what was to happen in the story, and he even made Kenshin snap. Even Sojiro (my personal favorite villian .. I'm a little ashamed, but I like him anyway) couldn't bring out the effed up Hitokiri in Kenshin.

And am I the only one who liked Shura (the pirate girl)? I know, I know ... still, for some reason, I just liked that character.

And as long as we're talking about "other" mangas, I really like Hikaru No Go. Number 8 is supposed to come out in November, right?

mugen33
4th November 2006, 5:16 AM
I can't speak for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure as I haven't read it (and don't really have much of a desire to), but I can attest to Beck and Nausicań of the Valley of the Wind being worthy of collecting (so as long as you aren't put off by multi-volume on-going manga, which the former is). Beck is simply a very good manga with tight character development and also shows how people aspire to reach their dreams in things they love (way better than most of that shounen drivel). Nausicań of the Valley of the Wind is an epic fantasy masterpiece that is pretty much regarded as one of the greatest manga ever created, and deservedly so.

Actually I found the first chapter to be very enjoyable in spite of the "God sucks" dialogue that sparsely came up. Given enough pages Endo can really make an excellent story, which is something to also be noted in the upcoming release of Tanpenshu. Contrastingly, the rest of volume one was lackluster and volume two didn't interest me that much. When Dark Horse released volume three it was than when I really became interested in the series and there were many elements that showed me Endo was not going to cater to the fans like many would want. Volume four keeps at it with arguably the one-on-one fight ever orchestrated in manga. Finally, I've read ahead with the scanlations to volume eleven, and can confirm that Eden is well worth keeping up with.

Sounds awesome, guess i have to get Nausicaa. Beck sounds good too, i flipped through a volume and i would probably know if i read it, but whats with the < (text) > things? Is that when they sing, or something like that? Thanks for the help Hellkorn.

That Scary Clefairy
4th November 2006, 7:02 AM
Sounds awesome, guess i have to get Nausicaa. Beck sounds good too, i flipped through a volume and i would probably know if i read it, but whats with the < (text) > things? Is that when they sing, or something like that? Thanks for the help Hellkorn.

I think that's the indication that they are speaking in english. Remember this manga is based on American rock music and culture. alot of englis is used and they used that to seperate it's self from when they are speaking in japanese in the translated english verison.

mugen33
5th November 2006, 2:22 AM
I think that's the indication that they are speaking in english. Remember this manga is based on American rock music and culture. alot of englis is used and they used that to seperate it's self from when they are speaking in japanese in the translated english verison.

Yeah i think youre right. I didnt know it was based on American rock music. How much of this have you read?

danburite
5th November 2006, 4:31 AM
High School Girls by Towa Oshima. It's hella funny, but it uses a lot of "chick humour", but it's still quite enjoyable. It's also a little bit dirty, mind you. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_School_Girls

That Scary Clefairy
5th November 2006, 7:51 AM
Yeah i think youre right. I didnt know it was based on American rock music. How much of this have you read?

only first volume but I know much more about it though.

HK
15th November 2006, 7:05 AM
I was giving out what YOU told me. Since I can trust your words on something I haven't read yet.

Well, it's out now, so unless your broke and have no free time (pfft, posting on forums), then you have no excuse not to read it. ;D

Sounds awesome, guess i have to get Nausicaa.

You'll be grateful that you did. I warn you that it is rather heavy, but it isn't something that you should read a volume of sparingly and just pick up the next one in a week or two (not like, say, Dance Till Tomorrow).

Beck sounds good too, i flipped through a volume and i would probably know if i read it, but whats with the < (text) > things? Is that when they sing, or something like that?

TSC already said it. Since there is already English in the translation, it is important to differentiate between the Japanese translated text to the actual spoken English in the original, so whenever someone is speaking English in the manga instead of Japanese, <insert text here> is used.