PDA

View Full Version : Different Strokes For Different Blokes! (474)

Serebii
27th October 2006, 1:42 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/474.jpgDifferent Strokes For Different Blokes!

In a forest during their trvaels, Ash & Co, unexpectadly meet up with Paul. Ash is eager for a rematch and challenges him with his newly captured Turtwig. However during the battle, Team Rocket interrupts and Ash ends up lost in the forest with Shinji. Will Ash & Paul get out of the Forest and will they have a rematch?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/shinou/474.shtml)

Discuss

Celebitwo
27th October 2006, 1:58 PM
Didn't Shinji catch and release a Stantler and an Ursaring? its not in his bio

Wind Waker
27th October 2006, 2:13 PM
Tops on the animation there, best for a while.
Well, besides the animation being a plus, i really enjoyed both battles among all the another stuff. They were all over the place and i really liked it.
Good question though, did he end up releasing Stantler and Ursaring?

Celebitwo
27th October 2006, 2:24 PM
Its hard to tell because of the time gap between pics but on one you can see stantler walking away just after Shinji examined it on his Pokedex. It was a similar situation with Ursaring.

Update his Bio

Cherimu Dude
27th October 2006, 2:37 PM
i've seen the episode on youtube, but it missed the middle part out. He doesnt release Ursaring...i'm sure of that; he examines the pokeball with his dex and then stores the ball.

vaporeon89
27th October 2006, 4:34 PM
Can anyone psot here the new attacks?

;134;89

PokemonFan_Samuel
27th October 2006, 4:34 PM
It's a strange episode to me, I can't really understand the plots by just looking at the pics. I'm now waiting for the full guide.
So, Ash didn't win Shinji once until now, right? I hope Ash wins one day!!! Just, was that ember that Hikozaru did? It wasn't like EMBER though...
It's also strange to me that you can examine the Pokeball by the Pokedex.
Anyway, I'm still not familiar with D/P.

Go for the Pics!!! Episode Pics (http://serebii.net/anime/pictures/shinou/474.shtml)

sCiZoR_2006
27th October 2006, 5:16 PM
Hikozaru used Dig, which I haven't seen from it before, as well as a defensive move that stopped Naetoru from attacking it. Also looked like Hikozaru used Fury Swipes, but it could've been a really hyped up Scratch attack. Naetoru connected with its Bite attack, which isn't shown much in the anime. What I want to know is that rejuvination attack Naetoru uses to restore its energy during battle.

Anyway, I've got some points/questions to make. When the four (Ash, Shinji and their respective starters) fell off the cliff, Shinji/Hikozaru managed to jump gracefully from ledges and branches to the ground, while Ash and Naetoru bulleted into the river below.

Ash loosing the 2nd match was what is needed...after all, fire attacks are strong against grass-types AND Shinji's Hikozaru is more experienced thus far. We also see that Shinji has adapted himself to be agile like Hikozaru.

I'm also wondering why Naetoru was hesitating to dodge attacks in Ash's initial rematch against Shinji (which was the focal point for this episode).

And yes, Shinji does keep Ursaring. I think after examining the Pokeball, he saw that it was strong enough (and had good attacks) that were worth keeping around. He might have said that Stantler's attack array was only limited to Tackle and Hypnosis.

Celebitwo
27th October 2006, 5:51 PM
I thought he would keep Ursaring I wasnt 100% sure he released it. Still his bio needs updating

cassius335
27th October 2006, 6:54 PM
I thought he would keep Ursaring I wasnt 100% sure he released it. Still his bio needs updating

Give Serebii a chance, would ya?

dannyphantomhott
27th October 2006, 7:06 PM
Well from what I could tell of the pictures I enjoyed the episode. Of course I've been enjoying Shinji/Ash episodes thus far which is two but still. Yes the animation was ok, and I loved the battles. Hopefully one day Ash will win agasint Shinji. I still think Shinji may be apart of Team Galxy but will see, doesn't mean I don't like the guy, he's become one of my favorite characters.

Ashy Boy
27th October 2006, 9:04 PM
What sort of trash talk did Shinji give to Ash & Co this time? As for the episode itself, it was quite predicatable at least at the beginning with one of the main characters having a battle with a rival only to be interupted by Team Rocket.

Larvitar
27th October 2006, 9:31 PM
Judging from the pictures only, it seemed like a great episode! Shinji catches A LOT of Pokémon O_O His team is so much stronger with an Ursaring!

Korobooshi Kojiro
27th October 2006, 9:46 PM
Shinji's hair gives him the power to defy gravity....

Also, the song that played during the Ursaring Battle rules. It's Satoshi's New Theme, and is on the CD.

Silent Conversation
27th October 2006, 10:08 PM
Just saw the ep pics... though can't really tell if he realeased a Stantler and Ursaring.

FlameTrainer
27th October 2006, 10:10 PM
I think he released Stantler, and he kept Ursaring.

Kthleen
27th October 2006, 10:18 PM
Did anyone else find it interesting that Shinji says, "Monster ball, attack"?

I think he released Stantler, and he kept Ursaring.Yes, he did those.

Also looked like Hikozaru used Fury Swipes, but it could've been a really hyped up Scratch attack.

What I want to know is that rejuvination attack Naetoru uses to restore its energy during battle.It's just scratch (hikkaku).

It was Synthesis (kougousei).

Also, the song that played during the Ursaring Battle rules. It's Satoshi's New Theme, and is on the CD.Really? Huh. It's rather pretty.

BattleFranky~40
27th October 2006, 10:21 PM
Great episode.

And Shinji seems to have stolen Satoshi's superpowers.

KuwabaraTheMan
27th October 2006, 10:47 PM
Good episode.

We get an Instrumental Advance Adventure, Shinji beats Satoshi and stays badass, AND Haruka is shown during Ookido-Hakase's Pokemon Lecture.

Naetoru gets more personality here, too. While he's no Kimori/Juptile/Jukain yet, he's still pretty entertaining.

Poor Mukkuru was the only Pokemon of the entire group's parties that didn't show up this time, though. Hope Mukkuru getting the shaft doesn't become a trend.

Geodude
27th October 2006, 11:04 PM
I like how they added development to Naetle by revealing that it didn't quite understand the concept of dodging attacks and unhesitatingly listening to a trainer. It can dodge just fine now, figured out how when it battled that Ursaring, but it still hesitated once in the last battle. Still, that problem should be resolved quickly, since Naetle does have an aptitude for battling.

el buitron
27th October 2006, 11:20 PM
hey what that guy shinji do when the capture new pokemon? the take the pokeball and scaning with...the pokedex? why he scaning it?

BattleFranky~40
27th October 2006, 11:23 PM
hey wha that guy shinji do when the capture newe pokemon? the take the pokeball and scaning with...the pokedex? why he scaning it?

He checks out moves.

el buitron
27th October 2006, 11:26 PM
ohhh, that is cool, but, since what time the pokedex can do that? or maybe ash don,t notice it becaused he is a little fool?

Sushi
28th October 2006, 12:55 AM
Ash wouldn't use the feature anyway, believe me ^^"

Anyway, coolest D/P episode so far, and not only because of Iwane. Come to think of it, his art had several flaws regarding anatomy this time, as Hikari's legs or arms were sometimes too thin and weirdly positioned, while Ash's legs seemed way too short in some scenes. On the other hand, I shouldn't start complaining about him when the majority of other art directors ultimately fail in comparison ~_~

Erm...yeah. Of course I loved the fact that Shinji made his second appearance so shortly after his first, and I liked him even more this time. He not only managed to tick Ash off even more than last time, but also gained Hikari's and Brock's disrespect in no time. And the best of it all - he seems to be truly enjoying it. The guy's simply awesome. Lots'a cookies for him.

Ash was amusing. Despite being warned of the Stantlers by Shinji, he just looked in amazement when he encountered one, wondering what those illusions the PokéDex mentioned were about. And the funniest moment was when he rechecked the 'dex at his third meeting with Stantler(s), finally figured out that he wouldn't get tricked if he just didn't look at the glowing horns, but then realized that he had already done so and was all, "Oops...too late o.o". Not to mention, seeing him "swim" in the sky (and later on the ground) was hilarious.

Next, Naetoru. That creature is too adorable. While being more on the feisty side, he's also quite generous, and tries pretty much anything to make others not worry about him. That scene where he shoved the apple into Ash's mouth was very cute. And the sequence right after that, when he and Ash see another Stantler and run away...I just thought the way Naetoru looked while desperately trying to cover his eyes with his shorter-than-short hands was pretty funny.

Lol at Stantler just standing there, sweatdropping. Either because its victims were able to flee before it could do anything, or because they were hysterical about nothing.

Just realized I said nothing about the battle. Meh, happens to me all the time, especially in episodes where the battle takes the center stage. Erm...anyway.

Naetoru losing was predictable, understandable and inevitable. It did put up a very good fight though. I felt a little sorry for Hikozaru when it was scolded at for cheering because it won, but on the other hand, it adds to Shinji's uniqueness as a character.

As a last note, I was pleased to see TR get a very small role in this episode, but in return entertain more than usual.

Shinji: Ember!
Jessie: Ember!
Jessie and James: ...Ember?

BattleFranky~40
28th October 2006, 1:03 AM
Yeah, Satoshi tripping out and thinking he was flying was hilarious.

I wish Pokemon could stay this good consistantly, but unforunatly, that will never happen.

Ash6K
28th October 2006, 1:17 AM
Wow...Shinji keeping the Ursaring..surprising! But anyway, I really like this episode. Ash being confused by the Stantler, Naetle's personality throughout the episode....I thought the episode was pretty good.

Pokemon Fan
28th October 2006, 3:32 AM
I felt a little sorry for Hikozaru when it was scolded at for cheering because it won, but on the other hand, it adds to Shinji's uniqueness as a character.
I'm curious if it was scolded merely for cheering or because Shinji thought it had nothing worth cheering about, i.e. he was telling it it should have had no trouble defeating a Grass type and thus was disappointed in it (we do know he can be disappointed in his pokemon even when they win).

gamefreak5034
28th October 2006, 3:32 AM
so what the hecks up with stantler? it was hard to see what he did with it from just the pics
it was also hard to tell what he did with ursaring, i know he scanned it and since it wasnt in the rest of the ep im guessing he thought it was good and kept it
dam although being a beginner, shinji is soo much freakin better than ash in every way possible specifically in battling

Pokemon Fan
28th October 2006, 3:44 AM
so what the hecks up with stantler? it was hard to see what he did with it from just the pics
it was also hard to tell what he did with ursaring, i know he scanned it and since it wasnt in the rest of the ep im guessing he thought it was good and kept it
dam although being a beginner, shinji is soo much freakin better than ash in every way possible specifically in battling
Do we actually know that he's a beginner? Seemed to me from his previous appearence that his Hikozaru was not his starter since he apparently remarked that it was still too weak to use after it lost to Aipom. If anything his Elekid is his starter and he's been training for a while, though clearly not for that long.

And we can't exactly say he's better than Ash in battling, given that their two battles consisted of Ash's newly caught bird being beaten, his more experienced Aipom winning, and Pikachu (though getting knocked out) knocking out Elekid even though it basically only managed to get one hit in and unintentionally powered Elekid up, and lastly Ash losing when at a type disadvantage with a newly caught pokemon.

Shinji is badass yes, but I don't think we've yet seen just how good of a trainer he is compared to Ash as Ash has yet to battle him at remotely full strength (Snorlax or Sceptile might be able to handle his full team alone, except maybe Ursaring).

S.Suikun
28th October 2006, 3:54 AM
Anyone else think it felt really weird hearing Advance Adventure in DP? I mean, I know they've used older songs in the past, but that was the #1 theme symbolic of AG. (*envisions CC replying to the above with "because the writers are trying to make DP as much of a rehash of AG as they can."*)

I'm glad Naetle at least put up somewhat of a fight in spite of the type advantage, so it wasn't completely embarrassing like Pikachu vs. Elekible. Obviously Naetle still has some trust issues to work out with Ash, though. Naetle, as one of Ash's Pokemon, you're going to be told to do some crazy stuff that doesn't make a whole lot of sense at first. Just get used to it.

SOS! Its Not Healthy..
28th October 2006, 4:14 AM
Do we actually know that he's a beginner? Seemed to me from his previous appearence that his Hikozaru was not his starter since he apparently remarked that it was still too weak to use after it lost to Aipom. If anything his Elekid is his starter and he's been training for a while, though clearly not for that long.

And we can't exactly say he's better than Ash in battling, given that their two battles consisted of Ash's newly caught bird being beaten, his more experienced Aipom winning, and Pikachu (though getting knocked out) knocking out Elekid even though it basically only managed to get one hit in and unintentionally powered Elekid up, and lastly Ash losing when at a type disadvantage with a newly caught pokemon.

Shinji is badass yes, but I don't think we've yet seen just how good of a trainer he is compared to Ash as Ash has yet to battle him at remotely full strength (Snorlax or Sceptile might be able to handle his full team alone, except maybe Ursaring).

I agree with you about Shinji, I not too convinced Shinji being overall better trainer than Ash since so far the Pokemon Ash is using his newest ones which he and the Pokemon aren't familiar with each other. Also as well a fact he is a beginner trainer either since that Elekid looks experienced and rare for a really inexperienced trainer to use it so well.

But I do admit the battles were really entertaining, and I really like Shinji's dark personality which gets my attention.

I saw this episode in motion, and it had it comedic moments and the same time, enrage moments. Ash in this episode was so funny, i busted out laughing how he was hypnotized I would say the third or fourth time and he's swimming through fantasy blue land and enjoying it, and as Shinji shows up, I bet he was like, "Deat Lord" in his mind. I also like the fact Ash and Naetoru got chased by Beedrills and an Ursanring, and it started by a curious little Stanler. Then also when Team Rocket showed up, it looked like they didn't know them, funny intro. And also, I was surprised Shinji said "shut up" in Japanese when Ash was panicking.

Naetoru is so cute and reminds me of Spike from Land Before Time, don't know why but it really does to me. But I saw how it hestitated on its first time around when battled. To me, I don't think Naetoru had enough trust on Ash yet, since it did whatever it wanted. Then after getting known each other, the overall performance was better, but being inexperienced battler and type disadvantage not surprised Ash lost. And I knew it before the battle started.

I'm really liking how the writers are going with Diamond and Pearl, they gave more uses in the Pokedex, and it is not anything I seen from the three other sagas. Shinji obviously uses it for status, Ash and Hikari for Poke info, and I think it looked like you could look up attacks they have without even owning it, might be wrong since Ash scanned the Stanler what attacks I think they have.

I got one question, what did Shinji say to tick off Ash, Brock, Hikari, and the Pokemon as well? Did he call them pathehic, weak or something? I was like whoa, and I think he likes to be hater to people.

BattleFranky~40
28th October 2006, 4:45 AM
If Shinji wasn't a beginning trainer, his Elekid would have evolved by now, as I doubt Shinji is an idiot who doesn't let his pokemon get to their fullest potential like Satoshi.

So, he is a beginner.

Geodude
28th October 2006, 6:12 AM
I got one question, what did Shinji say to tick off Ash, Brock, Hikari, and the Pokemon as well? Did he call them pathehic, weak or something? I was like whoa, and I think he likes to be hater to people.
He said that if someone is useless, they will always be useless.

and I think it looked like you could look up attacks they have without even owning it, might be wrong since Ash scanned the Stanler what attacks I think they have.
No, a capture is required before scanning for attacks. Why else do you think Shinji captures first, then scans? The reason Ash checked the Pokedex the second time was just a double-check. It didn't go through the whole entry, he was just kind of re-reading what it said the first time (the scene mentioned above where he checked the Pokedex and realized that he could avoid the hypnotism if he didn't look at the horns).

He released Stantler. He figured Ursaring was "not bad", and kept it.

Pretty sure Hikozaru was indeed his starter. If it was able to battle a tough Ursaring long enough so Shinji could capture it, no doubt it did the same thing with Elekid.

TheBuddyBud
28th October 2006, 6:32 AM
im beginning to hate ash now

why cant he catch pokemon like shinji?

CyberCubed
28th October 2006, 6:33 AM
Oh noes, Ash didn't catch an Ursaring, let's hate him now!

Uh-huh. They did the same thing with Gary catching tons of Pokemon back in Kanto, why are you complaining now?

Geodude
28th October 2006, 6:56 AM
why cant he catch pokemon like shinji?
That's not who he is, which you should know by now after 9 years or so of the anime. -_-

SOS! Its Not Healthy..
28th October 2006, 7:06 AM
He said that if someone is useless, they will always be useless.

Really, he said that, wow, I would never thought he would say that, but thats Shinji. I would be mad as well if someone said that to me.

No, a capture is required before scanning for attacks. Why else do you think Shinji captures first, then scans? The reason Ash checked the Pokedex the second time was just a double-check. It didn't go through the whole entry, he was just kind of re-reading what it said the first time (the scene mentioned above where he checked the Pokedex and realized that he could avoid the hypnotism if he didn't look at the horns).

Ah, okay, I wasn't sure since I could pick a little bit of Japanese, and it made me think that he would know the attacks. But thats what happens if there is not a guide there for me. Thanks so much!

Satoshi
28th October 2006, 7:27 AM
I just finished watching the episode a while ago.

Seems that at the beginning, Pocchama got into a little b*tch fight with Aipom because she wouldn't give it that fruit she picked from the trees to it. So when Aipom bumps it's head on the tree - dropping the fruit towards Pocchama, Pocchama ate it and then they got into the b*tch fight (lol it doesn't seem to get along well with monkeys. o.o), of course Naetle calms them down with it's Razor Leaf/Leaf Cutter (but not before it gets smacked into a tree). Hilarious. ^^ We really do need more Pokemon interaction like that more often.

Wait, you mean you people noticed Shinji uses the Zukan to scan his captured Pokemon just now? I thought everybody noticed that he scanned the Mukkuru he captured way back in DP003...o_O

Thanks to Shinji's badass-ness, Rocket Gang was only in the episode for 5 minutes (Hinoko!?!). =D The battle was good (partly because it was animated by Iwane). I guess the only reason Satoshi lost that battle to Shinji, was because of obvious type advantage and that it was a little hesistant at dodging attacks (also because Satoshi just recently caught it). Shinji's last line to Satoshi-tachi made me like his character even more.

And Satoshi getting struck by the illusions caused by Odoshishi's Hypnosis was priceless. I haven't laughed that hard since Harley.

Geodude
28th October 2006, 7:48 AM
Wait, you mean you people noticed Shinji uses the Zukan to scan his captured Pokemon just now? I thought everybody noticed that he scanned the Mukkuru he captured way back in DP003...o_O
People have very short memories for some reason when it comes to Japanese episodes. That or they look at pics and go to threads for some eps and not others, then wonder why they're confused about things. -_-

dabattousai
28th October 2006, 8:50 AM
Shinji called Ash useless at the end? That is great XD I knew one day he will get a rival like that.

Anyways, great episode, can't wait to learn more about Shinji, he is by far the best rival we had and a hard one at that.

HoennMaster
28th October 2006, 9:15 AM
Wait, you mean you people noticed Shinji uses the Zukan to scan his captured Pokemon just now? I thought everybody noticed that he scanned the Mukkuru he captured way back in DP003...o_Os

You consider three episodes a go a long time ago? In D/P003 he didn't scan the PokéBalls like he did in this episode which is why people are asking what he was doing.

FlameTrainer
28th October 2006, 10:44 AM
Why do i have the feeling that at the end of the D/P Saga, Shinji will have a really long list of Pokemon he has had in his Character Bio?

I don't see what's wrong about Stantler, they can be pretty good.

I think Ursaring won't stay for too long, however. It seems pretty unfair when he's fighting Ash, Ash has got four non-evolved Pokemon, and he has a super-powerful Elekid (is it just me, or do the writers make each encountered Elekid way overpowered?), and a pretty strong Hikozaru, and then he has an Ursaring. Kinda upsets the balance.

Gravy
28th October 2006, 11:59 AM
This is currently the best D/P ep imo. Plenty of funny moments and a lot of development going on, which is always good~

Wow, looks like the writers are going all-out in an attempt to make Naetle as different from Bulbasaur as possible. They've even given it's Razor Leaf attack a new twist; Now it seems the leaves themselves are coated in plastic explosive (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/dynamite.jpg). Remind me to give them more credit in the future!

In all seriousness however: I'm not a big fan of Naetle at all, but Ash's capture is pretty likeable, I must admit. I found it much more enjoyable to watch this time around, as opposed to last weeks episode.
Hell, even Ash managed to be a lot more entertaining this time around. Between the bizzare antler-induced hallucinations, running into trees whilst covering his eyes and the token bonding scene with his new pokéfriend, I actually gained a smidge of hope that he'll be able to keep the interest of this particular non-fangirl during DP~

I think it's rather interesting that Hikozaru seemed to be having so much fun with that battle. The constant smirk of joy slapped across it's face, tormenting it's turtloid oppenent as it popped out of the holes Whack-A-Mole style. I hope they build upon that aspect of it's personallity in future episodes. It would be nice to see a pokémon of Shinji's that isn't just battle-fodder, and thus far Hiko seems like the best candidate. I guess when you're stuck with a trainer like Shinji, fighting against other pokémon is the only real chance at amusement you're going to get, so you may as well go with the flow.
And speaking of the battle, I really liked it. Excellent animation aside, Shinji's elaborate strategies were quite cool. Using the holes in the battlefield to his advantage whenever possible ie. dragging Naetle into the hole and then using Flame Wheel underground...kinda dissapointing we didn't actually get to see that first hand actually. In any case, this really holds a lot of promise for Shinji becoming one of Ash's most interesting challengers in the future. I'm looking forward to seeing how he utilises pokémon like Murkrow for example.

I know they're overdone at this point, but I really like random Ursaring attacks. They always seem so much more entertainingl than the Beedrill swarms lurking in the bushes. I think it's mainly due to the fact that Ursaring seems to be constantly vexxed about absolutely nothing. You've gotta love pokémon in serious need of anger management y'know :p

Satoshi
28th October 2006, 6:26 PM
You consider three episodes a go a long time ago?
No, I don't. The "way back..." thing was an exaggeration at how bad people's memory spans are. --;

In D/P003 he didn't scan the PokéBalls like he did in this episode which is why people are asking what he was doing.
What's the difference? He was scanning the Mukkuru to see which one was good enough to be in his team and he scanned the Monster Balls to see if Odoshishi and Ringuma were good enough to be on his team. HARDLY a mystery there. If he was scanning the Mukkuru in DP003, then he's obviously scanning the Monster Balls in this episode.

And even if they did only see the episode pictures, there was context clues (Shinji letting Odoshishi go after he scanned it's Monster Ball, Shinji keeping Ringuma after he scanned it's Monster Ball).

tee tee
28th October 2006, 7:51 PM
This is currently the best D/P ep imo. Plenty of funny moments and a lot of development going on, which is always good~

I think it's rather interesting that Hikozaru seemed to be having so much fun with that battle. The constant smirk of joy slapped across it's face, tormenting it's turtloid oppenent as it popped out of the holes Whack-A-Mole style. I hope they build upon that aspect of it's personallity in future episodes. It would be nice to see a pokémon of Shinji's that isn't just battle-fodder, and thus far Hiko seems like the best candidate. I guess when you're stuck with a trainer like Shinji, fighting against other pokémon is the only real chance at amusement you're going to get, so you may as well go with the flow.
And speaking of the battle, I really liked it. Excellent animation aside, Shinji's elaborate strategies were quite cool. Using the holes in the battlefield to his advantage whenever possible ie. dragging Naetle into the hole and then using Flame Wheel underground...kinda dissapointing we didn't actually get to see that first hand actually. In any case, this really holds a lot of promise for Shinji becoming one of Ash's most interesting challengers in the future. I'm looking forward to seeing how he utilises pokémon like Murkrow for example.

i like hikozaru even more now since i saw it. i will be definitley be picking it in the game. i hope its pesonality doesn't change when it evolves either. i cant wait to see his murkrow in action i wonder what its attacks will be?

Brinstar
28th October 2006, 8:01 PM
This episode was hilarious. When the swarm of Beedrill that were chasing Ash caught sight of Ursaring and high tailed it, I actually laughed out loud. Definitely the funniest episode so far.

Does anyone know what Shinji told Hikozaru before he recalled it? Because it stopped dancing and put its head down in shame right before it was put back into its Pokeball. I'm guessing Shinji's Pokemon aren't allowed to have fun either?

Also I like Naetle quite a bit... aside from the fact that I'm planning on using one myself when I get Pearl, I just found it pretty fun to watch. It feels "hardier" than Bulbasaur, and it kind of reminds me of a dog in someways... I dunno hard to explain. I have to wonder how it holds apples with those elephant feet it has though :P

Chatsy
28th October 2006, 10:47 PM
This episode = Comedy gold.
Not silver, not bronze, not even the cheap crap your grandmother's jewelry are made of, nuh uh. Gold.

Shinji was one little SOB. Or BOB. Or BOS. Or OBS. Or all of them!

Either way, I've predicted a future episode:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/42126213/

Who needs words?

The whole;
"Aaaahh, Stantler!"
*covers eyes*
*bonk*
"D:?!"
*flee*
Had me laugh out loud. Or when Team Rocket interrupted Ash and Shinji's battle and how they reacted when they noticed Shinji and how they didn't capture Pikachu and James began to weep when trying to introduce themselves.

GOLD, I SAY!

BattleFranky~40
28th October 2006, 10:50 PM
Does anyone know what Shinji told Hikozaru before he recalled it? Because it stopped dancing and put its head down in shame right before it was put back into its Pokeball. I'm guessing Shinji's Pokemon aren't allowed to have fun either?
Shinji was disappointed in Hiko's performance.

dannyphantomhott
28th October 2006, 11:07 PM
This episode = Comedy gold.
Not silver, not bronze, not even the cheap crap your grandmother's jewelry are made of, nuh uh. Gold.

Shinji was one little SOB. Or BOB. Or BOS. Or OBS. Or all of them!

Either way, I've predicted a future episode:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/42126213/

Who needs words?

The whole;
"Aaaahh, Stantler!"
*covers eyes*
*bonk*
"D:?!"
*flee*
Had me laugh out loud. Or when Team Rocket interrupted Ash and Shinji's battle and how they reacted when they noticed Shinji and how they didn't capture Pikachu and James began to weep when trying to introduce themselves.

GOLD, I SAY!

Yah I agree it def was funniest episode so far. Man I can't wait for the next appearnce of Shinji. Team Rockets reaction to Shinji was too funny LOL, I can tell yah by the next time he comes back hey'll think Team Rocket isn't worth his time. Might think that already but it sure would be funny if he said that to Team Rockets face.

Geodude
29th October 2006, 5:22 AM
Yeah it was so funny when TR is doing the motto and all of a sudden:
Shinji: "Hinoko!" ("Ember!")
Jessie: "Hinoko!"
Jessie and James: "Hinoko?"

Shinji was disappointed in Hiko's performance.
Yeah I think his attitude was that due to the type advantage, the battle should have been over much sooner, therefore Hikozaru didn't battle well enough and had no reason to celebrate. Or something like that.

pikachu146
29th October 2006, 10:24 AM
Too bad Ash's Naetoru lost against Shinji's monkey. I hope Naetoru will get stronger.Ash will be able to win Shinji one day.

And,did Shinji catch the Stantler and Ursaring?Well,since he did,why didn't serebii update his character bio?

Gravy
29th October 2006, 12:24 PM
Yeah it was so funny when TR is doing the motto and all of a sudden:
Shinji: "Hinoko!" ("Ember!")
Jessie: "Hinoko!"
Jessie and James: "Hinoko?"

While that was pretty funny, my personal favourite skit had to be:

*Maskippa launches a Bullet Seed towards Shinji*
Ash: SHINJI! LOOK OUT!!
Shinji: Shut up.
Ash: Uhh... :/

Korobooshi Kojiro
29th October 2006, 2:31 PM
Masukippa sounded odd when it did that though, very shrill....

Crimsonmon
29th October 2006, 2:47 PM
ohhh, that is cool, but, since what time the pokedex can do that? or maybe ash don,t notice it becaused he is a little fool?

Since forever? Even back in Kanto, Ash and Misty checked the Pokedex to see what moves their new Pokemon/evolution could use.

Geodude
29th October 2006, 2:48 PM
And,did Shinji catch the Stantler and Ursaring?Well,since he did,why didn't serebii update his character bio?
As has been mentioned several times in either this thread or the preview thread, he caught Ursaring but released Stantler. And the bio hasn't been updated yet because...it hasn't.

Flamez
29th October 2006, 4:48 PM
Saw the episode and it was just excellent. Had plenty of comedy as mentioned before by others.
We've seen Super Ash before and now we got to see Super Shinji when he and Hikozaru fall down from the cliff.
Loved the part where Ash thinks he's flying.lol
Then Ash running away from stantler and hitting a tree. Very amusing.

Naetoru is friggin awesome. I think they've done a wonderful job with it so far. Its quite different from bulbasaur. Bite hitting again in a battle=great.

Shinji was even more bada**. Felt sorry for hikozaru when its cheering was interrupted by Shinji. But as ~Geodude~ said Shinji was probably disappointed about the match being dragged on and not ending quickly.
Overall the battle was great, nice to see Naetoru dodging attacks at the end since in the beginning of the episode it wouldn't move out of the way.

What did Hikari say to Ash at the end? When Shinji walks away and Ash is holding naetoru. Her and Brock were pi**ed at Shinji.

Gravy
29th October 2006, 5:43 PM
Masukippa sounded odd when it did that though, very shrill....

I thought so too. Though to be quite honest, I think Maskippa's voice has been pretty odd from the begining. In it's first episode it was kinda deep, in it's next appearence the voice was somewhat lighter (Kiii! Kiii!), then in the following episode it switched to a combination of both that and a sort of hissing sound, and now this. It's like whoever is voicing the thing can't decide what to do with it.

Korobooshi Kojiro
29th October 2006, 5:59 PM
Neither can they decide how to animate it either....

Oh well, the things crazy.

BattleFranky~40
29th October 2006, 6:15 PM
Masukippa is psycho, and therefore has multiple personalities which manifest themselves into different voices and designs.

Satoshi
29th October 2006, 6:16 PM
What did Hikari say to Ash at the end? When Shinji walks away and Ash is holding naetoru. Her and Brock were pi**ed at Shinji.I don't know what Hikari said exactly, but I think Takeshi said "Ore mo dokan da", which I THINK is along the lines of him agreeing that Satoshi should win next time (after that, Satoshi agrees, saying that he's sure to not lose against Shinji, so I'm guessing Hikari said something about taking down Shinji in their next encounter).

Shinji: Something that's useless, will always be useless. I have no need for that.
Satoshi: What?!
[Shinji walks away]
Satoshi: Wait!
Hikari: (I'm not sure exactly, but I think she said: "Satoshi, best to take care of that fool".)
Takeshi: I also say you should turn the tables next time.
Satoshi: Ah, I better not lose. Next time, I will not lose...!

^ lol Do not absolutely trust the above. ;\

Korobooshi Kojiro
29th October 2006, 8:03 PM
Masukippa is psycho, and therefore has multiple personalities which manifest themselves into different voices and designs.

Masukippa ate the Millenium Puzzle, and switches to his "Yami" side unnoticed, thus making him bigger and his voice deeper.

That needs to be made a pic now!

S_P
30th October 2006, 5:35 AM
At first I thought the Razor Leafs were indeed explosive, but then I thought it just may be due to cancelling out with Ember, and then Embers were the ones that exploded, which in turn destroys the Razor Leaf (aka Ember used to stop the incoming Razor Leaf). Unfortunately that's a little contradictory to the regard that we've seen Razor Leafs completely burned down by fire (in which in this case I assume Ember functions very similar to Bullet Seed, acting as pellets rather than a flaming source ... like minor bombs or something)

Is it just me or did they make Naetoru a really big tank? I never seen a one on one battle go that ended (not to mention had two different parts without additional rest to a large degree). Neither pokemon even showed exhaustion states nor injury states either (not to mention Naetoru not once was even burned).

And er, although it was obvious Naetoru would lose, did it even have a counter against Flame Wheel? Take Down was like, the least efficient attack, Razor Leaf was both dodged and cancelled out, and then the only successful attack was actually Bite (which in turn made Flame Wheel more efficient underground ironically.) Well, this is far better than Achamo getting OHKO'd by Mizugorou.

Speaking of Take Down, didn't Satoshi learn from Phanpy using Rollout against a Flame Wheel (back in like, the Silver Conference lol) already display that a "physical charging tackle" will lose to a "flaming charging tackle"? I'm pretty sure that the anime basically made "flaming physical charges" automatically superiour to "physical charges" ... which is also why I want to see Pikachu's Volt Tackle go against a Flame Wheel (or a Flare Drive, I guess) to see what happens (can't be a cancel out because that makes no sense, and even though an explosion is most likely, it would have to be one of those double knockouts, if it also weren't for the fact that the fire and electrical circular components are also somewhat defenses ... well less of the case for Volt Tackle I guess)

On second thought that might have just been Tackle (which would be even worse since it is presented to have less power than a Take Down anyways).

It seems like Naetoru's most efficient component against Hikozaru specifically was ... enduring the hits, haha. None of its attacks seem to specifically stop Flame Wheel (not only that, but Naetoru has no "big" attacks, like Aipom's Focus Punch). Razor Leaf doesn't help either. Ember seemed to cancel out Razor Leaf, but I don't think it goes the other way around (unless it truly does explode now).

Ironically I find that Bide would have been insanely useful had Naetoru had it.

Though more props to Shinji for coming up with consistent counters to every new tactic. Usually most, if not all opponents, have had some sort of surprise or shock factour from battling Satoshi (which ironically is a source for a lot of his wins), but Shinji doesn't even flinch.

I definitely liked the TR efficiency. They do what they normally do, but the way they're interrupted or stopped is much faster, much more funny, and far more concise. And of course, Shinji does what every other character *should* do when TR enters, which is to interrupt them midway by attacking them (not only that, but it also prevents Soonansu and Manene from coming out as well).

The only advantage I see Satoshi having over Shinji is ... pokemon experience (and I don't mean the trainer regard, but the pokemon's specific experience). Simply overpower with "higher levelled" or "more experienced" pokemon. Otherwise, if the grounds were completely even, as of now, doesn't look like Satoshi has a single advantage.

They made Shinji way too athletic. A fast recovery is one thing, but to fall correctly from a large height and land on a branch normally is highly awkward (ironically such a characteristic is what I wanted on Hikari), though I guess that's just terrain recognition.

So far episodes with Shinji don't seem to fail at all. It fills what other episodes could have as holes. You get an antagonist, a battle perspective, a catching perspective, and heck, a learning perspective (or rather what not to do when seeing Odoshishi). Of course when you have Shinji, you have less focus on Hikari and contests (which isn't even bad considering what he brings to the table), but otherwise it seems to fill every component that can be good in an episode without taking away anything either.

And since when did the group actually set up the table? Usually it's preset or instant, but this time you actually see them set it up (or maybe it's just very rare).

Well, these episodes also seem to improve Satoshi tremendously too. Who won and who lost was somewhat predictable, but the concept of the battle wasn't disappointing (it was not an overrun, nor a one shot. Though it also was the worst video game component: stalling. Haha, too long and extended, since Satoshi didn't have a successful offensive method besides that Bite that ended up countered even worse, despite being the only attack that seemingly connected.). Satoshi's "wins" against any of Shinji's pokemon were "powerful hits that connected". Otherwise, absolutely no standard attack really worked all that well.

Due to the Ookido section at the end, it seems like the first time I saw Haruka in any D/P episode (despite it being essentially a replay instead of a cameo).

CyberCubed
30th October 2006, 6:13 AM
Heh, finally saw this ep.

You just gotta love the way the anime handles Ursaring. Rampaging giant bears who are ****** off for no reason was one of the GOOD things they established in the Johto saga. I'm glad one of the good elements of Johto continues nowadays. I really hope we see Shinji use the thing in the future instead of it never being shown again though.

Hearing the AG music in D/P IS odd. It's almost depressing too, for some strange reason. Maybe because we know all the female characters in this show are expendable and we never get to see them achieve what they set out to do? Yeah, that's it.

Great episode overall. I really want to see Hikari battle Shinji, just to see how Poochama does against the fire chimp.

Geodude
30th October 2006, 12:37 PM
On second thought that might have just been Tackle (which would be even worse since it is presented to have less power than a Take Down anyways).
tai tari = Tackle
tosshin = Take Down

Naetle's attack was Tackle.

lucariolover
30th October 2006, 6:49 PM
ahs vs shinji.....what a great rival does ash have
naetoru was not owned i think becouse of his type weakness
but it would have been good for ash if he had won this battle

i hope shinji got ursaring but stantler.....i don't like him

Flamez
30th October 2006, 8:23 PM
i hope shinji got ursaring but stantler.....i don't like him
You dont have to worry about that because Shinji released Stantler right after he caught it. He kept Ursaring.

satoshiANZU
30th October 2006, 8:30 PM
Its so sad that Shinji always releases his pokemon (ex: Mukkuru-tachi, and the Stanlter)

shinigami13
30th October 2006, 9:48 PM
Even if he does keep Stantler and Ursaring he probably won't keep them in his party

Kabuto
31st October 2006, 2:58 AM
It seems Stantler was released and Ursaring was kept. It was a decent episode showing shinjis strength and once again, releasing pokemon he thought were weak after scanning them. The battle with hikozaru was pretty cool, I liked how its like the first rival battle from the games. So yeah, decent episode. I want to know what shinji said to ash that p*ssed him off so much at the end.

Satoshi
31st October 2006, 3:06 AM
I want to know what shinji said to ash that p*ssed him off so much at the end.
Something along the lines of "things that are useless will remain being useless".

CyberCubed
31st October 2006, 7:01 PM
LOL, I remember all the bashing Harley got when he first debuted because he was "mean" to May.

Is Shinji now going to be bashed because he's "mean" to Ash and he releases his Pokemon?

LMAO. You think people would prefer rivals who aren't nice guys for once.

Geodude
31st October 2006, 11:14 PM
If that were to happen, Cyber, it would've happened already. Mostly it's just people repeatedly asking the same questions about him that have already been answered multiple times in the thread.

dannyphantomhott
1st November 2006, 3:27 AM
LOL, I remember all the bashing Harley got when he first debuted because he was "mean" to May.

Is Shinji now going to be bashed because he's "mean" to Ash and he releases his Pokemon?

LMAO. You think people would prefer rivals who aren't nice guys for once.

Well I don't like it when Shinji is mean to Ash but I still think his character is cool and ship him with Ash too but that's a whole nother topic. Any ways I personally have been a fan of Ash and like the guy becuase of his heroic ways. But that doesn't mean I don't like Shinji either, did you like Harley?

BattleFranky~40
1st November 2006, 3:30 AM
Well I don't like it when Shinji is mean to Ash but I still think his character is cool and ship him with Ash too but that's a whole nother topic. Any ways I personally have been a fan of Ash and like the guy becuase of his heroic ways. But that doesn't mean I don't like Shinji either, did you like Harley?
You ship them together even though they clearly don't like, boardline hate, each other? Sounds fun.

Dreamcoat
1st November 2006, 3:30 PM
Gary was mean to Ash when they started their journey. Where's the bashing of Gary?

Jo-Jo
1st November 2006, 8:57 PM
You ship them together even though they clearly don't like, boardline hate, each other? Sounds fun.
Yes. Hateships own. See: Tensionshipping.

dannyphantomhott
1st November 2006, 9:05 PM
Gary was mean to Ash when they started their journey. Where's the bashing of Gary?

I wasn't bashing Shinji but I didn't exacly like Gary being mean to Ash either but I didn't mind him much too. And yes Hate Ships rule!

BattleFranky~40
1st November 2006, 9:07 PM
I wasn't bashing Shinji but I didn't exacly like Gary being mean to Ash either but I didn't mind him much too. And yes Hate Ships rule!

What's the point of shipping two characters who hate each other when the definition of shipping is the love between two characters.

Jo-Jo
1st November 2006, 9:09 PM
Because hate/love dynamics are interesting. Why do you care, anyway?

BattleFranky~40
1st November 2006, 9:16 PM
Because hate/love dynamics are interesting. Why do you care, anyway?

I don't care, really.

Flamez
2nd November 2006, 12:18 AM
I don't care, really.
No offense but why are you picking on the topic then, just ignore it.

I dont understand why some people are complaining about shinji catching pokemon and releasing them. Whats the big deal? He just wants a pokemon with a good moveset. Im sure that's how most people play the games, if they find a dugtrio at level 30 and another one at level 35 they will most likely take the one who's level 35. We finally have a character in the anime who reflects our play style of the games, and IMO that's friggin awesome.
SHINJI RULES!

gamefreak5034
2nd November 2006, 4:07 AM

I dont understand why some people are complaining about shinji catching pokemon and releasing them. Whats the big deal? He just wants a pokemon with a good moveset. Im sure that's how most people play the games, if they find a dugtrio at level 30 and another one at level 35 they will most likely take the one who's level 35. We finally have a character in the anime who reflects our play style of the games, and IMO that's friggin awesome.
SHINJI RULES!

thank you finally someone who doesnt bash shinji for being different and much better of a trainer that ash'll ever be not to mention has a better look

Alexdaman65
4th November 2006, 12:14 AM
were can i find this episode what do i type in youtube or what site do i go 2

BattleFranky~40
4th November 2006, 12:28 AM
were can i find this episode what do i type in youtube or what site do i go 2

There's this thing.

It's called a television. You watch it on there.

Geodude
4th November 2006, 12:33 AM
Or else use some common sense and not ask a question that's obviously against the rules of any respectable site.

Railith
4th November 2006, 4:21 AM
Shinji should be the main character of the show. He's cool, calculated, and remorseless which is how older folks play the pokemon games.

CyberCubed
4th November 2006, 4:49 AM
Shinji should be the main character of the show. He's cool, calculated, and remorseless which is how older folks play the pokemon games.

After Ash beats him in the Shinou league, he should join the group and replace Brock for the next saga.

Writers, put Brock out of his misery. It's really, really time.

Geodude
4th November 2006, 5:36 AM

And that's exactly why he will never be in the main group.

Ashy Boy
4th November 2006, 1:32 PM

And you think remorseless is a good thing?

BattleFranky~40
4th November 2006, 3:22 PM

And you think uniqueness is a bad thing?

Railith
4th November 2006, 6:37 PM

Of course it is.

In the anime there are basically two different kinds of trainers, ones that care for and befriend all of their pokemon and ones that use their pokemon. Most latter trainers are reletivly imcompetent and usually lose to the trainer that has the most friendship. Shinji is awesome because he is cool calculated. He knows exactly what he needs to do to win and doesn't take any crap to do it, and so far he is extremely successful by defeating a pokemon trainer of Ash's experence. He does things like compare pokemon he caught and cuts the dead weight without a lengthy and unessery goodbye crying monologue.

I hope they don't eventually make him lose to "friendship" even though the formula of pokemon episodes demands that he does. Shinji could have been a breath of fresh air for the show and taken it in an entirely new direction which is why I really like his character.

Celebitwo
12th November 2006, 9:29 PM
thank you finally someone who doesnt bash shinji for being different and much better of a trainer that ash'll ever be not to mention has a better look

I never said Shinji was bad, in fact there are many reasons why i dont like ash

1) Every time he meets someone new he says: 'Hi Im Ash from Pallet Town'. He sounds so stupid saying this all the time

2) He hardly ever catches Pokemon, more often than not he is just stopping Team Rocket from catching Pokemon. For Example, those 3 Seedot in early Hoenn. He really had no right to stop Team Rocket from taking them. They were wild and TR had every right to catch them

3) He is really uneducated at Pokemon battling, in Johto he put his Phany up against Pyrces Dewgong. The idiot!

Shinji is cool because...well he just is

Dreamcoat
12th November 2006, 9:50 PM
I never said Shinji was bad, in fact there are many reasons why i dont like ash

1) Every time he meets someone new he says: 'Hi Im Ash from Pallet Town'. He sounds so stupid saying this all the time

2) He hardly ever catches Pokemon, more often than not he is just stopping Team Rocket from catching Pokemon. For Example, those 3 Seedot in early Hoenn. He really had no right to stop Team Rocket from taking them. They were wild and TR had every right to catch them

3) He is really uneducated at Pokemon battling, in Johto he put his Phany up against Pyrces Dewgong. The idiot!

Shinji is cool because...well he just is

Because his amazing hair allows him to defy gravity!

The Big Al
13th November 2006, 11:32 AM
Shinji is a jerk but he's what this series had needed, a consistant jerk. Gary was blah, Drew wasn't really there in the brain department, and Harley was an absolute farce outside of one episode. Now we have Shinji who cares about one thing and that's power and won't take on weak Pokemon. And in the Pokemon world, wanting Pokemon only for power is considered heartless.

Geodude
13th November 2006, 12:36 PM
This is not a character-bashing thread, and you're pretty much doing that right now, but I'll respond to this much. TR could legally catch them in Pokeballs, yes. If they were doing that, then you'd have a reason to complain. But they always use nets or mechas or whatever, methods that are obviously illegal. Plus there's the fact that TR are the "bad guys", so why would the "good guys" just stand there while the bad guys bolster their ranks?

Akivara
16th November 2006, 12:01 PM

SHINJI RULES!

Ummm. It's not Shinji releasing the Pokemon I have a problem with, it's other stuff, but, just had to correct this, in my eyes, glaring error:

Stats of a wild level 30 Dugtrio caught and trained to level 35 > Stats of a wild level 35 Dugtrio. Common knowledge.

*desperate attempt to be on-topic* From the episode pictures, parts of this episode seemed pretty funny.

Celebitwo
20th November 2006, 10:44 PM
I just read the Episode Guide

So Shinji thinks Ash is a weak trainer. lets see what he has to say when his Hikozaru, Elekid and Ursaring get their butts kicked by Ash Charizard in the Sinnoh/Shinou league

The Benmeister
20th November 2006, 10:49 PM
So Shinji thinks Ash is a weak trainer. lets see what he has to say when his Hikozaru, Elekid and Ursaring get their butts kicked by Ash Charizard in the Sinnoh/Shinou league

Gaah! The C word must not be spoken of in these parts!

Let's just substitute 'Charizard' with 'Kingler' and we'll all be on our merry way.

Super-Staff
21st November 2006, 6:23 AM
After Ash beats him in the Shinou league, he should join the group and replace Brock for the next saga.

Writers, put Brock out of his misery. It's really, really time.

Yes. He definitely should replace Brock, no doubt about that. He is so pointless and it's almost painful to watch him go through the same tired gags over and over again. Why do the writers (or whoever is in charge of deciding which characters stay/go) believe that he's actually popular with the fans? Or that it would cause an uproar of some sort? I recently cruised through some Japanese websites and even they don't seem to give a **** about the guy. I've seen more art dedicated to one-shot characters than of Brock.

Though, if Shinji 'learns his lesson' and treats Pokemon with more respect, I hope he doesn't lose his bad attitude. I mean, I've seen heroes in other media who retain their badass personalities despite doing good.

...But, meh. I don't trust the anime writers to do that. What a shame.

Ashy Boy
21st November 2006, 10:57 PM
So Shinji thinks Ash is a weak trainer.
Why am I not surprised about Shinji considering Ash as somewhat worthless? I should have figured that someone like Shinji would have little or no tolerance to silly things.

squirtleboy12
11th December 2006, 1:08 PM
shinji i think he hasd a bad attitude and hes really stuburn and annoyng

7/10

pikachu146
16th December 2006, 10:22 AM
Shinji caught an Ursaring.THis makes it unfair.Ash has 4 unevolved Pokemon,Shinji has a super powerful elekid,a quite powerful Hikozaru, and a newly caught strong Ursaring. I hope Ash will win Shinji in the future.After Naetoru becomes Dotatios,it can win Hikozaru's evo.

Anonymous Trainer
5th January 2007, 11:06 AM
It's quite obvious that Ash will win in the future since Shinji is sucking in all his glory now.

Squirtle85
9th January 2007, 3:00 PM
I saw this episode a few days ago... the only interesting thing about this episode was the battle. Naetle fought hard and almost got the victory. I'm still wondering why in the world would ash chose Naetle a Grass type against the fire monkey whatever is called.

Shinji reminds me of Kanto gary... Overall 5/10 gets this ep for me

Geodude
9th January 2007, 11:13 PM
As I said before, the point of the battle wasn't necessarily to beat Shinji. Shinji insulted Naetle, so what would be the point of Ash beating Shinji with another Pokemon? That would prove absolutely nothing.

That said, Ash did say to himself at the end that he won't lose next time.

Squirtle85
9th January 2007, 11:17 PM
As I said before, the point of the battle wasn't necessarily to beat Shinji. Shinji insulted Naetle, so what would be the point of Ash beating Shinji with another Pokemon? That would prove absolutely nothing.

That said, Ash did say to himself at the end that he won't lose next time.

I din't know he insulted Naetle. Since I dont understand %90 of the Japanese language and I haven't readed the guide yet. but still.. the battle was the best thing of all the episode. the episode overall felt flat for me

Anonymous Trainer
10th January 2007, 5:23 AM
The worst part to me was how Shinji acted after he defeated Ash. Right now, my current opinion is the reason why he won is because he had the type advantage. I am SO waiting for the big Shinji thrashing.

Maestro Kinético
10th January 2007, 9:06 PM
This episode was total filler. The plot was meh.

PokeDouglas
16th February 2007, 4:31 PM
Shinji doesn't care about his Pokémon at all. Trust me, he'll release that Ursaring in no time at all.

Korobooshi Kojiro
13th June 2007, 1:52 AM
Sweet, they kept the full version of Ash's New Theme. :P

Yeah, this episode is still my favorite one of DP (although many, many have come close...)

WaterDragon trainer
13th June 2007, 2:01 AM
This episode was great. Figures TR would ruin the battle. I must admit I like Paul’s attitude towards TR. It was good to see an Ekans despite its random appearance. It was kinda cool to see a Stantler again. I found it funny when Ash tried NOT to look at the Stantler antlers as well as Paul seeing Ash swimming around on the ground. The real battle between Ash and Paul was awesome.

Mandi.
13th June 2007, 2:08 AM
Shinji is just awesome.

I was so happy that he beat Satoshi at the end. If they tied or something, I would have been so ticked off. Satoshi wins too much. D:

But the whole Stantler confusion thing towards Satoshi and Turwig rocked. Very funny.

I enjoyed this episode. So great. <33 Espeically Shinji. Hell yeah!

Juputoru
13th June 2007, 2:59 AM
I have a love/hate relationship with how our heroes lump all of Shinji's behavior into a blob of "THAT IS BAD." What exactly is the problem with letting unsatisfactory Pokemon go back into the wild, as opposed to cramming them into an airtight plastic ball and forcing to fight other Pokemon to the death/KO? Then again, the series in general pretends that all Pokemon are equally strong if you raise them with RUV and CAIR(tip for the kiddies:they're actually not).

I do wonder why Shinji bothers helping Ash out when he clearly hates him. It's probably a sign that he's Not Pure Evil and will be Redeemed. D:

Dax
13th June 2007, 3:08 AM
Finally the good episodes of D/P. I enjoyed and rather liked Turtwig which is weird. Paul still awesome and now I'm officially a Chimchar fan.

Darkness Angel
13th June 2007, 3:25 AM
Shinji's still an annoying pest at least he got rid of TR quick.

G4Pokefan
13th June 2007, 4:07 AM
Although I'm not feelin' these early episodes of this new season, i kinda like this one because of:

1) The battle-style animation (Nice that they're still keeping the same kind of animation that i always like this time around)

2) Several appearances from severally forgotten Pokemon (Ekans, Stantler)

3) Paul ( I'm callin' this kid "unique) I don't recall a trainer with this bad a attitude on the anime before. It is kinda interesting

But then, there's the dialogue that still annoys me. Ever since Battle Frontier. The conversations and the things they say just don't seem to make since to me! Just like in several other anime shows I've seen.

Usually each episode introduces one or two new Pokemon from a generation. So far, I've seen the same ones from the early eps this season, plus past pokemon. Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup, Starly, Glameow Carnivine and Buneary. I've only seen Staraptor, Budew, and Burmy once. And next week's previews looks like it's going to be the same thing!

AshfanGirl20
13th June 2007, 5:04 AM
Ash was crazy in the episode, him seeing things when they weren't there was too funny LOL. Ash new voice did a good job in the episode, Shinji/Paul is still a jerk but that's what I like about his character, its different. I just hope Ash beats Paul one of these days. He needs to make Paul look bad, like I want Paul to see Ash win a gym battle agianst one he didn't get to win. Now that would be sweet pay back, than Ash could be all happy about it and Paul would be all ticked off and get more angry about it. Anyways I loved the episode the battle ruled, even though Paul won. But I just know Ash will win agianst Paul soon just like he did agaisnt Gary. And what's this a May fan complaing about Ash winning too much? When May won way too much just for being a newbie contest person. At least Ash has a reason, he's been in the leauges since season one, May just began with Ash, awe well. Anyways can't wait for the next episode.

Kuroshi
13th June 2007, 5:44 AM
Paul is reallly a great character, and he is the best thing to happen to Ash's plot since Gary.

Both of the battles against Paul were very cool, I like how there was some development between Turtwig and Ash.

The comedy was great, Team Rocket didn't get to do much, though.

Overall, this is one of the top episodes in early Sinnoh.

Blaziryu
13th June 2007, 7:22 AM
Ash is just pathetic. This guy has been a trainer longer than Shinji has yet he get his ***** wipe by wild PKMN, not knowing his surroundings as he's traveling & sending out his Grass-type to battle a Fire-type. I mean c'mon, Ash is not a rookie or the underdog anymore. He shouldn't be acting like a complete idiot or losing to rookie like Shinji. I was so happy when Shinji was talking down on him & his retarded Turtwig because they really deserve it. But yeah, this episode was good.

Geodude
13th June 2007, 7:25 AM
sending out his Grass-type to battle a Fire-type.
And you're complaining about this why exactly? I dealt with this once already on this very same page, go back and read it. Post #105.

DarkWobbuffet
13th June 2007, 9:01 AM

And Shinji offically becomes the "Shadow the Hedgehog" of the Pokemon anime.

The main thing I enjoyed about this episode is Ash's reaction to PAUL at the end. The whole episode Ash seemed to be trying to make friends with PAUL and have a nice freindly rivaly, but it didn't work out as he had hoped, quite the opposite actully. Ash now knows this PAUL guy isn't going to be a friend, he's become more of an enemy.

It's war now.

Geodude
13th June 2007, 1:31 PM
Dawn: "Wow! Ursaring just got caught!"
Ash: "Yeah. We'll see for how long."

Heh.

Zabi
13th June 2007, 1:34 PM
Dawn: "Wow! Ursaring just got caught!"
Ash: "Yeah. We'll see for how long."

Heh.

I laughed at that part. Probably best part of episode...

Paul is Tarzan! Jumping on rocks like that and flipping around trees. He is the King of the Forest. o___O Sorry...

PANCAKE
13th June 2007, 2:10 PM
I really enjoyed this episode. The dialogue was pretty good (though Ash's V.A. needs to put more ephasis into his laugh, insted of reading "haha" off the script). I'm also a new fan of Chimchar. I loved it's little victory dance after it's battle with Turtwig. The fire chimp want's to be on Ash's squad too! As for Paul, a little too much saturation of the word "pathetic", but besides that a pretty solid intro rival.

Solid 10 from me on this one.

Scarlet
13th June 2007, 2:30 PM
I liked Paul's cruelty towards Ash, since Ash needs to take that advice. The battle was pretty intense too and the fact that Ash lost adds to the pressure.
I wish I could battle Paul =(

Wynaut?
13th June 2007, 3:52 PM
Cool episode. Paul's so different to many of the other trainers and rivals Ash meets, it adds freshness to the anime. Another great battle between the two, and it was a nice change to not give Team Rocket much screen time.

I also liked how they distorted the music during the alternate reality scenes, it added a cool touch.

9/10.

Paradise Sky
13th June 2007, 8:45 PM
I now officially love Paul. This episode was good.

But Paul uses the word 'pathetic' too much. And either that's his catchphrase or he just says 'Are we done yet/Are you done yet?' waaaay too much.

spongeaud
13th June 2007, 8:54 PM
Paul is good but is kinda a jerk but your right Ash does need someone to talk to him like that and it looks like battles are more intense in this season which makes the show cooler

Hikozaru390
13th June 2007, 9:09 PM
This episode was good, but the music edits were terrible. How much was kept, two pieces?

At least they played the Advance Adventure instrumentals. Best. BGM. Evar.

Pearl's Perap
14th June 2007, 12:36 PM
At least they played the Advance Adventure instrumentals. Best. BGM. Evar.

Exactly.

Great episode, in my eyes, Paul kicked *** and did it with his usual negative attitude, which has made me fall in love with his character, though he does seem to say 'pathetic' a little TOO much...

The whole Stantler thing was entertaining also, though a little repetetive.

9/10

Rex Kamex
14th June 2007, 3:49 PM
-I loved the way Paul made it down the cliff.

-Ash and Turtwig didn't run into Brock and Dawn when they walked back?

-I also loved the way the Beedrill flew away when Ursaring appeared.

-Stantler's hypnosis attacks weren't good enough for Paul? What are they, moves that weren't authorized by the Pokemon league or something?

-Paul calls Chimchar his "friend" and then says that friends are useless? Must be a dub thing.

-When I was watching this episode, I thought, wouldn't it be interesting if Gary showed up one time Paul started insulting Ash and tell Paul what a great trainer Ash was? Yeah.

Venusaur Master
14th June 2007, 5:16 PM
A excellent episode. With great battles and more into how the anime uses the pokedex in different ways.

Dogasu
14th June 2007, 7:29 PM
This episode was good, but the music edits were terrible. How much was kept, two pieces?

They kept five.

Korobooshi Kojiro
14th June 2007, 7:41 PM
Lesse...

Ash's New Theme (YES!)
Advanced Adventure Instrumental (YES!)
Team Rocket Motto (basically a given)
And I think two pieces of DP Battle music.

Sushi Bunny
15th June 2007, 6:52 AM
This has to be one of my favorite episodes of Pokemon. I find Paul/ Shinji (can't make up mind as to what to call him) More comical then mean. Every time he said the word "pathetic" I would die laughing. I counted him saying it five times! Must be his favorite word, along with loser and Lame.

I liked it when James was giving the "Twerp of a different color" His education lesson about Team Rocket.

Ash seeing illusions was hysterical! When he was flying, all I could here in my head was, "Ashy in the sky with diamonds". And even more funny was the fact that Shinji/Paul saw him!

And Ash just couldn't resist giving an Ursaring a hug (well that's what it looked like). When they were running away from Ursaring and they came across Paul/Shinji, I thought it was weird when he said "look out", it seemed more like he should have said "move it" instead.

And every time Brock and Hikari/Dawn appeared, I expected them to say, "I think this line is mostly filler".

Well after that Shinji is becoming one of my favorite characters, Just because he's so terrifying. He's Mr. Grump Puss.

-Paul calls Chimchar his "friend" and then says that friends are useless? Must be a dub thing.

O.o My sister said the exact same thing.

Desert Flower
15th June 2007, 7:45 AM
The animation just keeps getting better. I don't mean the cgi, although it's fairly nice. I'm more impressed with the new battle animations though. Flame wheel was quite nice to watch, and I like the way Chimchar's cheeks puff with each Ember.

I'm also liking Shinji more and more. I think they're trying a bit too hard with the dialogue to make him sound full of himself, but I like his style of training. Not that I completely agree with it, it's just nice to see something different.

R_N
15th June 2007, 8:11 AM
I liked the episode itself. It was fun, it was nice seeing more Paul, more CHimchar(I love his little vicotry dance it did...jsut to get shut down by Paul :(), and really lovin' Turtiwig.

What I DIDN't care for, was Ash's voice. ALright, I'll admit it, I like Brock, Jessie, and Meowth's new voices. They grew on me. James still needs work, but its tolerable. It jsut sounded so...emotionless, and was really painful to hear. It's like the VA is trying to hard to sound like a guy. And that really messes up a few things, like the aforementioned laugh, but also things like yelling. Ugh. I mean, come on, she has been working with the voice for a while now, shouldn't she be getting into a nice groove by now?

Oh well, the episode was still enjoyable(someone needs to loop the Chimchar dance! It'll be the next internet phenomenon(do do dododo)!)

.Bright Side.
15th June 2007, 8:33 AM
I'd laugh so hard if Shinji continues to beat Ash every time, but ofcourse, the main charcter can not lose to the antagonist character every time. hinji will probably lose by a fluke or another Pikachu KO'ing Onix battle. I.E:Turtwig defeating Ursaring.(like hell that would happen)

Overall, Shinji pwns, Ash once again loses to Shinji(YAY), and Dawn nor Brock did anything the entire episode.

Ashy Boy
16th June 2007, 12:52 PM
he does seem to say 'pathetic' a little TOO much...

What else would you expect from an arrogant yet formidable trainer who doesn't care about anything let alone his pokemon?

BTW, what sort of trash talk did Paul give to Ash?

Kabuto
16th June 2007, 8:48 PM
The dub did a really great job with this episode.

Ashy Boy
19th June 2007, 4:42 PM
Besides the word "pathetic", what else did Paul say throughout the entire episode?

Snorkle
19th June 2007, 7:31 PM
For a 'filler' this episode was a rather good one, actually. The combination of Shinji, Chimchar, and the whole Stantler-mirages all shlepped together made it pretty darn funny at some points.

Firstly, Chimchar. By god I officially love that little flaming ape now. Just looking at it, you know that its just desperate to have some real fun. The whole Whac-a-mole thing when it was battling Turtwig was cute, and its voice is adorable. It's so interesting that they gave Shinji a Pokemon with a personality completely opposite to him, and I think they did a nice job of having it keep its lovable side, while at the same time delivering combos that are just Shinji-signature. Awesome~

The Stantler mirages were interesting, mainly what they did to the background music, gave it a 'distorted' feel and all that. And some of Ash's comments were just plain random, that you had to laugh. Like:the second time Ash gets confused by a Stantler, he says in this really dazed, dense voice: "A desert...in a forest?" (You gotta hear it to enjoy it.)
And the time he was surrounded by the whole hoard of them, he was reading something off the PokeDex and said, "That's it! Don't look at the antlers!" and as soon as he looks up, he sees all of their antlers. And just before he drifts off into La-la land, he says in this really expressionless voice, "...I looked!"

Shinji was plain nasty in this one, which I love. The Voice Actor really nailed his voice; a good mix of arrogance, cockiness, and indifference. He did say 'pathetic' a bit too much for my taste, but that's probably his catch phrase or something so its not that big of a deal.

Besides the word "pathetic", what else did Paul say throughout the entire episode?

Ooh, lots. Let me recall some good moments:
-----------------
(when James asks Carivine to fire off a Bullet Seed at Paul and Chimchar...)
ASH: Quick, Paul! Get out of the way!
SHINJI: (very forcefully) Be quiet!
ASH: ...er...

---------
(sometime later...)
ASH: ...since we're both stuck in the forest, why don't we all try and get out together?
SHINJI: That sounds stupid.
ASH: What's so stupid about helping each other out?
SHINJI: I don't need help from a little kid like you!

Not too sure about the last line...don't remember completely. He says something along those lines, though...
He's so abrupt and sarcastic.....what a jerk....
....I love it~
------------
(after catching a Stantler, he's checking the Pokedex data on it)

SHINJI: Come on! This Stantler only knows a simple Tackle attack? What a waste of time! (tosses Pokeball). Get out.
ASH: I thought that Stantler just wanted to make friends!
SHINJI: (while walking away) Friends are just....useless.
---------

SHINJI: (during second battle vs. Ash in the eppy) C'mon. When will this end?
ASH: We end when I WIN!

... after battle...

SHINJI: (smirk) We end when I win.
(Chimchar is celebrating cutely)
SHINJI: (To Chimchar) Being pathetic is nothing to celebrate about.
(Chimchar looks rejected. Awww...)

Pretty decent episode overall. Worth my time, just for the laughs and for Shinji~
Can't wait to see him again at Oreburgh now ^.^

Ashy Boy
20th June 2007, 11:31 AM
(when James asks Carivine to fire off a Bullet Seed at Paul and Chimchar...)
ASH: Quick, Paul! Get out of the way!
SHINJI: (very forcefully) Be quiet!
ASH: ...er...

---------
(sometime later...)
ASH: ...since we're both stuck in the forest, why don't we all try and get out together?
SHINJI: That sounds stupid.
ASH: What's so stupid about helping each other out?
SHINJI: I don't need help from a little kid like you!

Not too sure about the last line...don't remember completely. He says something along those lines, though...
He's so abrupt and sarcastic.....what a jerk....
....I love it~
------------
(after catching a Stantler, he's checking the Pokedex data on it)

SHINJI: Come on! This Stantler only knows a simple Tackle attack? What a waste of time! (tosses Pokeball). Get out.
ASH: I thought that Stantler just wanted to make friends!
SHINJI: (while walking away) Friends are just....useless.
---------

SHINJI: (during second battle vs. Ash in the eppy) C'mon. When will this end?
ASH: We end when I WIN!

... after battle...

SHINJI: (smirk) We end when I win.
(Chimchar is celebrating cutely)
SHINJI: (To Chimchar) Being pathetic is nothing to celebrate about.
(Chimchar looks rejected. Awww...)

Pretty decent episode overall. Worth my time, just for the laughs and for Shinji~
Can't wait to see him again at Oreburgh now ^.^

I'm not too surprised that Paul said all that. Besides I've heard worse from Seto Kaiba Yu-Gi-Oh! where he would always treat Joey like dirt.

What else did Paul say?

Rex Kamex
20th June 2007, 10:50 PM
In my honest opinion, Paul seems like the generic bad-attitude type of guy, but since "Fat Man Masamune" is missing in action, Gary turned good, Ritchie was too nice to be a threat (although I really really liked him), and everybody else seemed boring to me, I think that Paul will do more than just fine as Ash's new rival.

Ashy Boy
21st June 2007, 11:51 AM
In my honest opinion, Paul seems like the generic bad-attitude type of guy, but since "Fat Man Masamune" is missing in action, Gary turned good, Ritchie was too nice to be a threat (although I really really liked him), and everybody else seemed boring to me, I think that Paul will do more than just fine as Ash's new rival.

I can understand that Richie is somewhat of a "goody-two shoes" rival, but Gary still has his cockiness, so I can't really say that Gary has actually turned good.

As for Paul, even he's the first rival to treat his pokemon as badly as Ash, I don't think he's the very first character to have a complete disrespect for Pokemon. I'm certain that there have been a few minor characters throughout the past years that might have had a disregard for Pokemon (sorry if I'm being dramatic).

Medea
22nd June 2007, 11:59 AM
Finally saw the episode on youtube because I fell asleep when it aired on Cartoon Network.

I wasn't really happy with this episode. To put in another sense, I didn't like this episode that much. It's mostly because I'm not a fan of Shinji/Paul at all. But in a sense, I noticed some strange similarities to one of my favorite episodes of Hoenn (Who, What, Where, When, Wynaut), well mostly having to do with being lost in a strange place with someone you don't really get along with (most likely a rival). And another thing I had to mention was when Ash and Turtwig were halucinating into swimming and Paul sees them on the ground, I couldn't help but laugh at that.

Ashy Boy
23rd June 2007, 3:43 PM
What was the last thing Paul said to Ash before he left?

09Murphym
23rd June 2007, 4:04 PM
How he didnt have time to talk to a loser like ash. Seriously, that's what he said.

09Murphym
23rd June 2007, 4:07 PM
i thought paul was kind of harsh when ash said he didnt know about the forest they where in. I mean, ash wasnt born in sinnoh so he wouldnt really know about the different places.

Ashy Boy
24th June 2007, 2:44 PM
How he didnt have time to talk to a loser like ash. Seriously, that's what he said.

I've heard Gary said the exact thing once before.

flyboy1308
4th July 2007, 7:19 AM
THe eppy was good, but the Stanler/mirage/desert/stuff thing was pointless.

npdargy312
18th July 2007, 9:59 AM
Haven't seen it yet.

Rebeccag
30th October 2007, 10:41 PM
this episode was ok im starting to like the character of paul though i cant wait to see him again

Smite92
18th November 2007, 6:35 AM
I liked the bit where Turtwig used Bite on Chimchar's head! Lol!!!

Alf Tuggy
26th March 2008, 8:49 PM
Another of my favorite D and P episodes,Turtwig(Tuggy)gave a good fight to Chimchar and he was really nice with Ash and Ash with him.

Charizard_Trainer88
26th March 2008, 9:04 PM
is it just me or did Ash look and act more mature in Hoenn and then looked less mature in Sinnoh? with the clothes i mean

wobbanut
17th August 2008, 11:43 PM
So many episodes later with Paul, I'm still not completely sure how I feel about Paul. He's a real jerk to his pokemon and to other people, but at the same time he's an interesting character. It makes me wonder if he'll end up like Gary (going from evil to a nice guy) down the line.

Anyway, this episode was the first one I really enjoyed from the season. I liked how the stantlers kept making Ash and Turtwig hallucinate, and how by the third time Ash totally forgot he was in an illusion. LOL It's also interesting that Ash actually remembered what he'd learned before about stantlers, probably in response to fans always complaining that he never remembers pokemon he's seen before. Too bad Turtwig lost its battle against Paul, though.

wobbanut
17th August 2008, 11:44 PM
So many episodes later with Paul, I'm still not completely sure how I feel about Paul. He's a real jerk to his pokemon and to other people, but at the same time he's an interesting character. It makes me wonder if he'll end up like Gary (going from evil to a nice guy) down the line.

Anyway, this episode was the first one I really enjoyed from the season. I liked how the stantlers kept making Ash and Turtwig hallucinate, and how by the third time Ash totally forgot he was in an illusion. LOL It's also interesting that Ash actually remembered what he'd learned before about stantlers, probably in response to fans always complaining that he never remembers pokemon he's seen before. Too bad Turtwig lost its battle against Paul, though.

(s.i.e)
11th March 2009, 1:04 PM
hm, that paul guy is such a strange guy if you ask me, anyway this episode was really nice though those "people are getting lost" episodes are getting standard.

Littlemyuu
27th April 2009, 4:23 PM
It was a ok episode, Paul was careless for his Pokemon or for Ash..he will learn someday

Void
27th April 2009, 4:32 PM
THe eppy was good, but the Stanler/mirage/desert/stuff thing was pointless.

The 'Stanler/mirage/desert/stuff thing' was just Nintendo not knowing what else to put in the episode.

S.Suikun
10th May 2009, 2:16 AM
What the heck, I'm gonna cram another episode in today to wash the bad taste of DP005 outta my mouth. So here's Day 6...except a day early.

We were not used to rival treatment like this. Back in the day, we would see a rival maybe once every 30 episodes if we were lucky. Just look at Shigeru, for instance. This constant focus combined with Shinji's character in general really makes things feel refreshing in Diamond & Pearl on the rival front. Shinji had already been established as a prick to his Pokemon from Day One, and here we not only see how much of a stat elitist he is with Pokemon captures, but how heartless he is to other trainers. Moments like when Shinji totally blows off TR mid-motto or ditches Satoshi in the woods really made him an instant favorite when it aired, and in retrospect, it holds up as the easily most solid DP episode up to this point.

The battle between Naetle and Hikozaru is great; one hell of a lot better than the Shinji battle three episodes beforehand. It's certainly the most complex battle in the saga's first six episodes. The fact that this one doesn't end in a draw only fuels Satoshi's humiliation in the eyes of Shinji. The animation is excellent, and we even get some great bits of humor sprinkled throughout the episode, namely the illusion scenes and the whole Ursaring chase. Really, I have a hard time finding gripes about this episode other than that I would like to have seen a Sinnoh Pokemon debut here since it was still so early in the game. Holds up well today.

A-

Torpoleon
12th May 2009, 4:01 PM
Man, Paul is still mean! I liked the battle, but I wish Ash had won. The dream Ash and Turtwig had of flying the sky was funny but weird. Also, it was nice to see a Johto Pokemon in Sinnoh so early.

STICKTOPIA
11th July 2009, 2:13 AM
paul is always 1 step ahead of ash. using razor leaf in the holes was smart. also using the holes to dodge and then biting chimchar's head was smart, but paul was a step ahead by telling chimchar to go in the hole(with turtwig still biting it)and using flame wheel. ash really needs to get on the defensive side with his pokemon.

catzisconfus
16th August 2009, 10:15 PM
the music when ash was hipnotized was funny, also paul is stupid -.-

Ash-kid
18th December 2009, 1:43 PM
Too bad that Ash lost to Paul, it was awful.

Turtwig was not ready enough, Chimchar was much stronger.

9/10

Lorde
23rd December 2009, 12:56 AM
Yeah a battle between Paul and Ash.

I loved that this episode focuses on more character development, especially for Paul. I'm glad that Ash and Paul spent some time together in the forest.

There was also some character development for Turtwig, but it still seems bland to me :/
I give this one a 4/10, just because early Sinnoh was boring.

STICKTOPIA
27th December 2009, 3:13 AM
Yeah a battle between Paul and Ash.

I loved that this episode focuses on more character development, especially for Paul. I'm glad that Ash and Paul spent some time together in the forest.

There was also some character development for Turtwig, but it still seems bland to me :/
I give this one a 4/10, just because early Sinnoh was boring.They spent so much time that Paul actually helped him out by having Chimchar use ember on the Stantler. That was the only time we saw Paul help Ash out though.

KGB13
14th January 2010, 7:30 PM
I hate that Team Rocket interrupted Paul and Ash's battle because it was getting really good. Turtwig is pretty tough for surviving all those fire attacks, although it lost in the end. I thought it was kinda funny how Ash was warned about the Stantler but still kept getting confused by their antlers. That Ursaring was pretty scary and now Paul has quite a powerhouse on his team. Good episode.

Ash-kid
14th January 2010, 7:34 PM
I hate that Team Rocket interrupted Paul and Ash's battle because it was getting really good. Turtwig is pretty tough for surviving all those fire attacks, although it lost in the end. I thought it was kinda funny how Ash was warned about the Stantler but still kept getting confused by their antlers. That Ursaring was pretty scary and now Paul has quite a powerhouse on his team. Good episode.

Yes, I did not understand how he managed to survive against all Chimchar's fire attacks, and in the first battle Turtwig was suposed to lose so this time TR help actually to Ash. too bad that it lost in the rematch but it was too hard.

KGB13
14th January 2010, 8:08 PM
Yes, I did not understand how he managed to survive against all Chimchar's fire attacks, and in the first battle Turtwig was suposed to lose so this time TR help actually to Ash. too bad that it lost in the rematch but it was too hard.

Yes, it's endurance was incredible. I thought it was going to win before TR showed up and I was a little disappointed that it lost in the end. But it's still a pretty tough pokemon and a great addition to Ash's team.

Willow's Tara
31st May 2010, 6:10 AM
Good episode, interesting that Turtwig kept ignoring Ash, I bet if he had listened that he could have won sort of.

I think that's the first time someone actually attacked TR during their motto, I always wondered why Ash and co didn't use that chance just to blast them off before they had a chance to do anything.
Of course Paul lands on his feet along with Chimchar, he is sure quick.

wind21
20th June 2010, 8:22 PM
I'm skipping straight from dp 4 to dp 6. The important plot point from dp 5 is resolved in dp 6, so....You're not really missing anything other than Ash capturing Turtwig in dp 5.

This episode builds upon Turtwig's stubborn nature that was shown in the last episode, as Turtwig doesn't listen to Ash at the beginning of this episode in his battle against Paul. It's just, personally, I never really got caught up in this aspect of the storyline, and so it's resolution midway through the episode is not something that particularly moved me. I think Ash has been around for too long and trained too many different pokemon personalities for me to be intrigued by that. But Turtwig's willingness to listen to Ash is not the selling pt of this episode; it most certainly is Ash vs Paul at the end of the episode. And again, it's a wonderful battle and one of the best that's occurred in Sinnoh. One thing, I think (well, hope-no way to know for sure until the Sinnoh league is over), to keep in mind about this rivalry is that neither guy is completely right. That's hard to see in this episode, as Paul comes off looking like a total jerk after his victory over Ash.

saar
7th July 2010, 6:08 PM
Good episode. I liked to see Paul two pokemon. His wild Ursaring was very strong compared to a wild one.
And I hoped for Ash's Turtwig to learn a new move...

~Platinum~
19th July 2010, 5:39 AM
Wow the writers didn't take long to bring Paul back into the picture. Like I said in the Episode 473 thread, the writers are trying to cram everything important into the first few episodes of the saga. In this episode Paul caught Ursaring which will be seen many times in the future. I liked Ash's strategy of having Turtwig jump in the hole. Ash has finally started using his brain and coming up with some strategies in these past few episodes. I wish you could use strategies like that in the games. Overall, a pretty good episode with some nice animation.

RickHoenn
17th October 2010, 10:02 PM
This was an amazing episode, I love Ash & Paul rivalry, aslo Paul got that beast Ursaring, that Stantler was WEAK! >_< Ash lost but waaah Turtwig has disadvantage!

Great ep 10/10

RickHoenn
17th October 2010, 10:10 PM
This was an amazing episode, I love Ash & Paul rivalry, aslo Paul got that beast Ursaring, that Stantler was WEAK! >_< Ash lost but waaah Turtwig has disadvantage!

Great ep 10/10

RickHoenn
17th October 2010, 10:12 PM

Great ep 10/10

Lance The Champ
28th November 2010, 10:28 AM
Felt sorry for Turtwig it battled really hard but Paul was too much for Ash

G50
27th April 2011, 5:46 AM
This episode was ok... Turtwig vs Chimchar was a very cool battle even with Turtwig at a disadvantage. Ash lost his 2nd battle vs Paul... It was surprising with Turtwig being at a disadvantage against Chimchar, and it was still new to Ash's team. As before, Paul caught a Pokemon, this time Stantler, decided it was too weak and released it. Interesting how Paul had to explain to Ash about Stantler, after having to save him.

30/100

wind21
30th May 2011, 3:39 AM
in retrospect, it holds up as the easily most solid DP episode up to this point.

I didn't quite feel this way when I watched this episode last year, but on this viewing, I agree. This episode is definitely the best of the episodes shown so far.

I made the mistake of saying that Turtwig's stubborness and the battle b/w Ash and Paul at the end of the episode were two different things. Not true at all. The moment in the battle where Ash asks Turtwig to jump back into the hole, after already getting burned by ember once, really brings the entire episode together. In fact, it feels like Ash puts Turtwig in that type of extreme trust situation on purpose, as he immediately picks up that Turtwig is hesitant to do so (Dawn is also questioning Ash, which is pretty normal for her this early in the region). It's one thing for obvious trust like dodging, and another for Turtwig to trust Ash on this seemingly stupid tactic. The moment is even more exciting b/c judging by the flow of the episode, all Ash's problem seemed to be was merely getting Turtwig to dodge attacks; there was no way to predict that Ash wanted more than that. So just when you think the plot point is resolved, it's taken to a whole new level. This episode really helps you to appreciate how much Ash's pokemon have to trust him, considering his really creative tactics and spur of the moment commands.

The sandwich
9th August 2011, 1:46 AM
The beginning was my favorite part.

Aipom: *smashes head on a branch and accidentally drops food into Piplup's mouth*
Piplup: *swallows it*
Aipom: *gets angry and starts beating up Piplup*
Turtwig:*tries to stop Aipom and gets attacked by Piplup and Aipom* *uses Razor Leaf on both of them*
Dawn: You can't treat my Piplup like that!
*everyone turns around and realizes Paul was watching the whole thing*
Paul: PATHETIC!

The battle was ok. It was good that Turtwig learned to dodge attacks instead of just standing there like an idiot. The battle was good and showed how strong Turtwig was against Fire types, but it still felt one-sided since Paul had a type advantage and had Chimchar for a long time, and Ash had just caught Turtwig in the last episode. I would have liked to see Turtwig battle Elekid instead, but I guess this was ok.

Caseydia
19th March 2012, 7:10 PM
This episode was nice. The battle was fantastic. I don't really know what people were complaining about. This is not the first time Ash had battled a Pokemon with a type advantage over his. I wish the writers could have kept that winning streak of battle like that today. I thought it was fun and that it meant Ash had to work twice as hard to win. I think that's good work. It had always impressed me.

Faker500
9th June 2012, 9:46 PM
I watched this episode yesterday and it was still my best DP episode. Alot of action all in one. I don't get people saying Ash isn't funny. He's growing up but he definetly has some humor still there.

BurningSociety12345543210
9th June 2012, 10:04 PM
That scene where Ash thought he and Trutwig were flying was epic. xD

And let the Chimchar spamming begin. -_-

Dawn+Serena Fan
25th August 2012, 12:31 AM
This episode was fantastic. The battle was just awesome, and it had some funny parts as well and you can feel the tension between Ash and Paul at the end of the episode after Ash lost.

I easily give this a 10/10.

Sinnoh Ash
28th September 2012, 8:01 AM
This episode is one of my favorites. Paul beating Ash was great. This is where the rivalry truly began. Awesome Episode.
9/10

PokemontrainerY
9th October 2013, 1:33 PM
Ash and Paul's second battle was pretty good. It's quite surprising that despite being a disadvantage against Paul's Chimchar, Ash's Turtwig survived all the fire attacks and put up good fight. Too bad Turtwig and lost the battle at the end.

I didn't like how Paul released his Stantler, that wasn't cool at all. Oh well, at least Turtwig got some character development in this episode.

phanpycross
15th June 2014, 11:42 PM
Not too crazy about turtwig losing against chimchar, but otherwise the episode was really good.

Turtwig is my favorite starter, so him and ash interacting was pretty neat, Paul was also pretty cool, but I hate chimchar, and knowing how much screentime he stole later angers me.

6/10

PokemonNation2000
15th June 2014, 11:43 PM
> That awful voice acting.
> Those awful lines of dialogue from Ash.
> That DP Rap intro.

Good News: The dub BGM was nice at least.

3/10

phanpycross
15th June 2014, 11:46 PM
> That awful voice acting.
> Those awful lines of dialogue from Ash.
> That DP Rap intro.

Good News: The dub BGM was nice at least.

3/10

Did you watch "getting twiggy with it", feel lucky about watching another, then feel stupid afterwards? ;)

PokemonNation2000
15th June 2014, 11:47 PM
Did you watch "getting twiggy with it", feel lucky about watching another, then feel stupid afterwards? ;)

No, I watched an episode of about the same quality English dub wise. ;)

phanpycross
15th June 2014, 11:50 PM
No, I watched an episode of about the same quality English dub wise. ;)

Thank god, that you dont need to share my pain :)

PokemonNation2000
15th June 2014, 11:51 PM
Thank god, that you dont need to share my pain :)

Oh, believe me, I feel your pain haha. xD.

pokepal123
19th June 2014, 10:51 AM
Seriously you hate this episode just because of the awful DUB. Seriously the actual content is more important than the actual DUB.

Lorde
23rd November 2014, 11:17 PM
I screamed when Aipom and Piplup started fighting, but I was glad that Turtwig settled things between them with Razor Leaf. Seeing Paul again was great and I was surprised by how agile he was when he and Ash fell down that cliff after Team Rocket's failed scheme. Those Stantler and their illusions irked me, but kudos to Paul for catching Ursaring.

Painkiller2001
11th December 2014, 2:40 AM
I loved some of the things Paul said in this episode:
"Wow, lame-o!"
"BE QUIET!"
"Yeah, WHATEVER!"

I guess it was more how he said them that I enjoyed.