PDA

View Full Version : Like It Or Lup It! (475)

Serebii
2nd November 2006, 9:22 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/475.jpgLike It Or Lup It!

While training for her Super Contests, Piplup accidentally gets lost and muddled up in some Wild Water Pokémon that are feuding nearby. However Team Rocket have their eyes set on these Pokémon's food and the Pokémon themselves. Can Piplup stop them and can Dawn find Piplup?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/shinou/475.shtml)

Discuss

Munchlax66
2nd November 2006, 10:38 PM
Some interesting episode it seems to be. And Team Rocket wins a battle for once

BattleFranky~40
2nd November 2006, 10:42 PM
And even more prejudice against the mexican Ludicolos.

Decent episode.

Korobooshi Kojiro
2nd November 2006, 10:46 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the part with the Robo-Remoraid was like in Kingdom Hearts Two?

Golduck stole the show in this, seriously. It even got BRUTALLY DEVOURED by the Mus Kippa.

dannyphantomhott
2nd November 2006, 10:47 PM
I found the episode good, I loved the ending ^_^

S.Suikun
2nd November 2006, 11:04 PM
While this looks like an utterly pointless filler that doesn't even feature any new debuts (Only the 7th DP episode, 3rd in a row without a new debut, and 4th overall without one? That doesn't seem right.), this looks worth seeing just for the animation and the comical value.

XD, it's Sakaki's Paradise!

Shigeru-kun
2nd November 2006, 11:15 PM
Eh, not a bad episode, but definitely not great. The expressions in this episode were pretty cute and I loved all the interaction between Pochama and the water pokes. The only things that annoyed me though were;

A- Lack of Hikari (you'd think with all the pochama action she'd get more screen time than she did).

and, the most annoying IMO

B- The high pitched Runpapa. Just...ugh! If anyone doesn't know which one I'm talking about, it's the only one going "Runpa! Runpapa!" when Musashi-tachi see them behind the grass. Heaven knows I just wanted to kill that thing when I heard it. x-x;

BattleFranky~40
2nd November 2006, 11:20 PM
B- The high pitched Runpapa. Just...ugh! If anyone doesn't know which one I'm talking about, it's the only one going "Runpa! Runpapa!" when Musashi-tachi see them behind the grass. Heaven knows I just wanted to kill that thing when I heard it. x-x;
Killing a Ludicolo? Why, that's impossible. These Ludicolos are immortal.

S.Suikun
3rd November 2006, 5:38 AM
Quick fire review time! (When did I last do one of these, anyways?)

- Yay for Hikari's Theme instrumental.
- I think I want a Pochama bobblehead now.
- Why does every Golduck in this series ****ing OWN?
- 3 Ludicolo...as if Brock standing there with Bonsly in the intro wasn't a big enough slap in the face to Brock.
- Any time now, these Ludicolo are going to start singing La Bamba.
- I wonder if 4Kids would have edited these Mexican references for being "too foreign".
- Giovanni's Richard Simmons rotuine...dear God.
- Who needs Takeshi's Paradise when you have Sakaki's Paradise?
- Golduck only has three fingers. He's only holding up his middle finger at the Ludicolo. It's official - This Golduck pwns the Orange Islands Golduck.
- Haha, Mime Jr. is priceless in that TR grinning pose.
- This animation director seriously needs to be used more often. Seriously.
- TR is only targetting the Ludicolo for their cheap labor.
- Watch out, Pochama! Those Ludicolo will make you into a taco!
- Pochama's boobies have slammed into TR's sub cam. James is obviously freaked out. He's afraid of human boobies, for crying out loud.
- Heat-seeking mechanized Remoraid missiles FTW.
- Okay, blasting parallel to a lake for 10 seconds and then suddenly rocketing upward is illogical even by TR standards.

Funny how one of the most Goddamn pointless episodes of all time turns out to be far and away the most entertaining episode of the saga so far. (In fact, it's the only DP ep I've really, really liked thus far)

eonteam123456
3rd November 2006, 7:36 AM
This episode wasn't the best ever, but I still don't understand: why did all the pokemon's eyes glow white?

Korobooshi Kojiro
3rd November 2006, 11:06 AM
They were mad, obviously.

cassius335
3rd November 2006, 2:15 PM
While training for her Super Contests,

*raises eyebrow*

CyberCubed
3rd November 2006, 5:53 PM
Serebii....they're just normal Contests. -_-

Geodude
3rd November 2006, 11:40 PM
Really fun, entertaining episode. This has got to be the episode containing the most facial expressions, emotions, and comical body language since the Claydol/Lombre/Mawile episodes.

Korobooshi Kojiro
4th November 2006, 1:05 AM
GOlducks rule!

I mean, the OI one, the Oscar one, the Hoenn League one, and this one all own.

Ashy Boy
4th November 2006, 8:58 AM
That episode wasn't too bad. Although it was predictable to see Team Rocket cause trouble.

Gravy
4th November 2006, 10:42 AM
GOlducks rule!

I mean, the OI one, the Oscar one, the Hoenn League one, and this one all own.
Now that you mention it, Golduck has been a pretty awesome character in almost all of it's appearences.
...Screw it, that guy is going on my favourites list.

The high pitched Runpapa. Just...ugh! If anyone doesn't know which one I'm talking about, it's the only one going "Runpa! Runpapa!" when Musashi-tachi see them behind the grass. Heaven knows I just wanted to kill that thing when I heard it. x-x;
...You've got it all wrong Shigeru-kun, all wrong. The one you mentioned was easily the best of the three, while the worst happened to be the rather duck-esque sounding one. The poor thing sounded like it had a bicycle horn shoved down it's throat.

This was one of the most entertaining episodes in a long while. And when I look back at last week's thumbs-up material, as well as next week's bucket o' froggy fun, it seems like the DP series is finally gearing itself up to be just as good as early AG was. I'll admit, the likes of the Subomi ep and Naetle's capture had me a little worried, but now I can see that those fears will have (hopefully) been nothing to get flustered about.

-As an animation director, Shinjo is definitely one of my favourites now. And dare I say it's, he's almost on the same level with the almighty Tokuda infact. I love how expressive the characters are under his guidance, and the very cartoony squash and stretch animation is really something to savour once you realise you have crap like Shimura around the bend. I found myself re-watching numerous parts of this episode, just to catch some to those really funky movements that were going on. A personal favourite of mine being when Team Rocket all dive into the Magikarp sub when Pika tries to sic a Thunderbolt on 'em, with Wobbuffet slamming the fin/hatch down being the cherry on the cake xp Ahh, hell. Pretty much everything Team Rocket did was gold. From biting themselves in the arm, to sinister group shots of utter disturbance, to wacky boss fantasies that would never, ever happen: It was all good.
And don't even get me started on Golduck, because I'd be blabbing for hours about how that thing completely owned, pwned and all other internet jargon that denotes superiority over another.

-I like the fact that Team Rocket actually did get something out of all this. Y'know, other than their inevitable defeat at the hands of the usual shock treatment and flying through the air to unimaginable heights via jets of water. THEY GOTS TO EAT DAT FOOD STUFFS!. And in the end, isn't that all they really wanted? To stuff their faces with food they found lying on the ground in a dirty, dirty, DIRTY marsh area?

-God, Hikari is boring the absolute faecal matter out of me. When the hell is the girl going to do something that isn't about as dull as a stripe less Kecleon in a room painted grey? All she ever seems to do is gasp like a goon, give ~The Obligatory Speech o' Confidence~ and shout out 'Pochama!' or 'Satoshi!' in times of dread. The fact that her own pokémon seems to have more of a character in it's steely eyed gaze than she does in her entire body is pretty dern awkward in this humble Gravy's opinion.

-And speak of the devil: Pochama is an awesome pokémon for sure. I rather like Pottaishi and Empelt, and look forward to the day we see them worm their way onto the show. But for now, I'm hoping Pochama sticks as it's delightfully ickle self, and remains a little blighter that thinks it can do anything for a long while to come. It's not the sort of formula I'd like them to mess with too soon, as it's far too entertaining to waste. And this episode just went to prove that. For example, when Pocha was attacking the Ludicolo with it's rather futile glowy peck attack. After being swatted away by the likes of growl (lol) and water gun, you had to love it's look of embarrassment when it realised it was still being watched by it's comrades, only to quickly rush into that pompous pose of snootiness. Ahh Pochama, don't ever change.

-And as a note, I'd like to add how much I love Pochama's signature 'POCHAMAAA!' screech whenever it uses Bubblebeam. It's like a cry of victory for all poncho wearing aquatic fowl everywhere.

-For today's obligatory fanboy comment: Jessie looked drop-dead sexy (if not a little too melodramatic :p) during the motto. Seriously, just watch the damn thing and see for yourself. Lord knows this world needs more moderately sane Jessie fanboys...

eonteam123456
4th November 2006, 1:59 PM
How could Pochama get confused after using Bubble? It actually Paralyzes the opponent,not confuse the user.
EDIT: The Remoraid were cool, when Pochama was with them, and they just went past him.

Gravy
4th November 2006, 2:02 PM
Uhh...It got dizzy after spinning around in mid-air. It's not rocket science.
And since when the hell did Bubble cause paralysis?

Satoshi
4th November 2006, 8:10 PM
And since when the hell did Bubble cause paralysis?Ever since Bubblebeam caused explosions.

Heh, I'd say this episode was entertaining and cute. I loved how the episode went crazy with the facial expressions (Makoto Shinjo is definately in my "Animation Directors That Don't Suck" list now) and the Pokemon interaction was greatly entertaining, makes the episode even much more rewatchable (WE NEED MORE POKEMON INTERACTION AND GOLDUCK).

My favorite part was when Pocchama was trying to take out Rocket Gang's Koiking submarine with Peck all by itself without even making a stratch on it. The cute, courageous little...<3

Geodude
4th November 2006, 11:12 PM
Pochama's attack is Bubblebeam, NOT BUBBLE. Get it straight, people. I see it called Bubble repeatedly, when it isn't.

auzzie latios
5th November 2006, 4:58 AM
they're just normal Contests. -_-

Not technically , there contests with different parts of the contest . e.g. battling

CyberCubed
6th November 2006, 5:36 AM
Ah, this was a good episode, but you can tell they really used a lot of extra padding toward the end of it. Team Rocket could have gotten blasted off for good by either the whirlpool or by Pikachu, but they kept coming back. They must have had extra time to fill in this episode and they didn't know what to do with it.

The preview made this ep look like a Hikari themed ep, but it really was mostly a Team Rocket-esque episode with some development for Pochama thrown in.

Is it just me, or is Pochama's appeal a little TOO perfect at the end? That appeals looks more impressive than most of May's appeals, and considering this is coming from a newbie who hasn't even entered a Contest yet, this is a little Mary Sue-ish. May's screwed up with appeals a ton and all her early ones were rather basic, yet Pochama has a winner already? A bit too perfect for my tastes.

I hate to gripe about Hikari again, but I have to agree with Gravy on Hikari's personality. She really is kinda bland, pretty much making the same girly squeals and concerns that May did over her run. But worst of all, Hikari seems like May during the worst part of her run, mid Battle Frontier May when she started to become somewhat stale.

Why is Hikari getting so much praise when her Pochama has more personality than she has? And speaking of Pochama, that thing ROCKS. One of the best Pokemon personalities in years, too bad its trainer isn't terribly interesting herself.

Ugh, here's hoping she'll be more exciting when her Contest arc starts, because being dull this early into her run is NOT a good thing. :/

Satoshi
6th November 2006, 5:39 AM
To be fair, none of the main characters were very entertaining and interesting in this episodes - it was mostly the Pokemon and the Rocket Gang that were interesting.

CyberCubed
6th November 2006, 5:42 AM
To be fair, none of the main characters were very entertaining and interesting in this episodes - it was mostly the Pokemon and the Rocket Gang that were interesting.

Indeed, but one could argue that Ash and Brock have been stale for a long time now, since they're such old characters.

Hikari was awesome in D/P # 1-3, but she seems to have lost it in all the following episodes. What happened to that awesome spunk from the original three-parter? In the following episodes the writers are pretty much writing her as if May were still here, and hell, I'm not even looking for the similarities anymore but the way she acts and talks is pretty much the same.

I really hope her rival spices things up a bit, or she goes back to the way her personality was in D/P #1-3, because that's LOADS better than the way she is now.

They made Pochama friggin AWESOME, that means they should be capable of doing the same with Hikari.

Crystal Mewtwo
6th November 2006, 7:55 AM
OMG, how adorable babish episode. I can't belive, some people at my age still watch it XD

MidnightScott
6th November 2006, 8:22 AM
Were they looking up her skirt? xD

It was an interesting episode, total cliche of May's Squirtle (but you cant really help that can you) - I was surprised how amazing Pochama already is after only 6 episodes, wow xD

~Scott;229;

The Big Al
6th November 2006, 10:18 AM
At least Pochama has a bad attitude which makes it up for the uberness. And at least it's practicing. Unike the terrible turtle that pulled Ice Beam out of its hind end.

Geodude
6th November 2006, 11:45 AM
Well, one thing we do know about Hikari is that she's a dreamer. We see again in this episode how she likes to fantasize about being in contests.

CyberCubed
6th November 2006, 6:19 PM
At least Pochama has a bad attitude which makes it up for the uberness. And at least it's practicing. Unike the terrible turtle that pulled Ice Beam out of its hind end.

True, although it doesn't help matters that her second capture, the bunny, knows Ice beam in the wild before Hikari even catches it.

I think the writers are going to hand her the TM moves easily just like they did with May, while only Ash will have to struggle and train to teach his Pokemon new moves.

As awesome as Pochama is, I do really hope she loses her first Contest. Her appeals are already a billion times better than May's was in early Hoenn, and winning her first Contest would make her look too much like a Mary Sue.

Thankfully if her rival debuts there, it would be a given she loses.

Korobooshi Kojiro
6th November 2006, 9:04 PM
I'd like to mention Masukippa now hisses "Su-Ki!", and entire head is now bigger then Golduck.

Pikafan
6th November 2006, 9:08 PM
Hikari's pokemon practice performance was great I can't wait to see her in action pretty soon in her first contest!

Gravy
6th November 2006, 9:14 PM
To be fair Cyber, it's not like spinning around and launching a few non-Corphish-orange-Bubblebeam-Bubbles is that difficult a performance. I thought getting over the dizziness (which was the only problem it had anyways) in a single episode was perfectly acceptable. Pochama hasn't really done anything ground breakingly astounding with the move. Thus far, at least :P

Well, one thing we do know about Hikari is that she's a dreamer. We see again in this episode how she likes to fantasize about being in contests.
Thats the one thing about Hikari that really caught my attention. If they could just incorperate her blissfully silly dreams into her regular speech and personallity, then they'd have something to go by. As it stands, I'm once again left crossing my fingers tightly to the point of snapping. It would really help boost her character out of the duldrums.

I'd like to mention Masukippa now hisses "Su-Ki!", and entire head is now bigger then Golduck.
Whoever is voicing the thing must be having a hell of a lot of fun, that's for sure. I know the "Su-Ki" hiss was still different and all, but I'm starting to see an overall voice slowly coming together. I guess Maskippa just has a ton of different cries it can use~

And while we're mentioning Maskippa, I'd like to point out that he looks a lot like Mayor Cheesburger. Which, naturally, is beyond cool.
There's also the fact that it's ALWAYS smiling. Like the spawn of Koffing and Victreebel.

Korobooshi Kojiro
6th November 2006, 9:17 PM
Who is the "Mayor Cheeseburger" you speak up? Surely you jest at the notion Sir Kippa is somekind of promotional ad for a restaurant of some sorts?

Gravy
6th November 2006, 9:21 PM
Who is the "Mayor Cheeseburger" you speak up? Surely you jest at the notion Sir Kippa is somekind of promotional ad for a restaurant of some sorts?

Well, you know what they say Koji: To get to the top, you've got to start from the bottom. Though if it's any consolation, starting as the Mayor of meat products in a bun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayor_McCheese)is pretty damn sweet.

BattleFranky~40
6th November 2006, 9:22 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cb/Mayor_McCheese.jpg
This sexy dude.

See the resemblence?

Edit: Dammit Gravy

Tapatio
6th November 2006, 9:38 PM
OMG! Masukippa is like a vegetarian version of that "Mayor Cheseeburger" guy!

Icicle
7th November 2006, 10:45 PM
I only saw part of this episode.

But all I have to say is. Pochama wins at life. And it needs to be made into a bobble head doll >___>;

Also, Golduck is pretty badass.

CyberCubed
7th November 2006, 11:17 PM
When Pochama evolves I shall cry, because its about a billion times more amusing than that fat penguin we saw in D/P #4.

SOS! Its Not Healthy..
11th November 2006, 4:40 AM
I seen this a week ago, and when I seen the pics at first, I thought it was stupid. But when I seen it on motion, it is the most funniest episode I seen in a while. Pochama officially rocks now, I just love that little penguin, and same here I'm gonna cry when it evolves.

This was actually one of the best Team Rocket episodes and a Pokemon one as well. Its a first that the Ash and Brock were much on the spotlight which it is a start. But the expression owns it all. Awesome eppie!

Celebitwo
12th November 2006, 8:41 PM
Ok i havent seen the episode in motion and hopefully it will turn out better than the pictures give an impression of.
Before reading the above post i was going to ask does anyone but me find this episode lame and pointless?

also i never liked Pochama 1st evo aswell. At first it put me off chosing Pochama as a starter but then I saw its final form whcih is slightly better

BattleFranky~40
12th November 2006, 8:47 PM
Ok i havent seen the episode in motion and hopefully it will turn out better than the pictures give an impression of.
Before reading the above post i was going to ask does anyone but me find this episode lame and pointless?

also i never liked Pochama 1st evo aswell. At first it put me off chosing Pochama as a starter but then I saw its final form whcih is slightly better

Don't triple post.

And this episode may be "pointless", but it is a hell of a lot more interesting than the episodes that came before it.

CyberCubed
12th November 2006, 8:51 PM
Pochama perfecting its appeal made the episode have an actual point, but the rest of it was fairly good as well.

roses_108
13th November 2006, 8:33 PM
I really liked this episode espcially the japanese version of the ludicolos it sounds so cool and it always cracks me up. However saying this i have seen better episodes of pokemon but still one of the funniest in a long time even if i can only understand it enough to get the jist of it. I also really liked the look on golducks face when he realised that it was team rocket that stole their food and not the ludicolos it was done really well.

Super-Staff
30th November 2006, 3:08 AM
I got to see this episode just a few days ago and it actually made me chuckle a few times. It's rather surprising to me that D/P wasn't as terrible as I initially thought it might be. Yeah, it's definitely not perfect, but there are some things in it that keep it from being awful as the Johto series. ...Well, at least, that's so far.

I am still crossing my fingers and hoping that the rest of the series keeps this sort of tone.

squirtleboy12
11th December 2006, 12:07 PM
seeing poor pochama try make me cry..really enjoyable episode

Squirtle85
9th January 2007, 2:08 PM
Beautiful episode! I loved Pochama interaction with the Pokemon and trying hard to save them all. I don't want Pochama to evolve it just looks so cute and innocent. I always love these types of episodes...

I'm catching up with all episodes I missed.. and I give this one 10/10

Rhonin the wizard
13th April 2007, 2:38 PM
Did Jessie say something about Manaphy when TR were flying over the lake?

WaterDragon trainer
14th June 2007, 1:21 AM
This episode was good. I like how Brock had the table over his head even when Piplup stopped his attack. Golduck’s new voice is terrible, although he was cool. Good to see another one of Meowth’s Boss Fantasies. I found it funny when Jessie bothered Golduck about finding his name on the berry as well as the Ludicolo spinning TR around. I thought it was kind of strange that Ash pokedexed Golduck despite him encountering some before. I thought it was kind of funny how Piplup clung and pecked on TR’s sub. I felt bad more Piplup getting pummeled by the Remoraid projectiles. It was cool how Piplup created the whirlpool to sink TR’s sub. I assume that since TR’s sub exploded, it won’t return. Piplup’s Bubble Beam technique was cool.

Korobooshi Kojiro
14th June 2007, 2:35 AM
The animation had alot of neat touches, such as Wobby pulling down the hatch...

And Golduck was awesome. :)

Dax
14th June 2007, 2:43 AM
The animation had alot of neat touches, such as Wobby pulling down the hatch...

And Golduck was awesome. :)

I agree. The animation was pretty neat in this episode. I loved how Golduck looked and it was pretty well drawn. The eyes looked awesome and I liked the voice it had.

The blasting off was really good too. It looked different and Piplup was awesome. I'm just getting use to Piplup's voice.

S.Suikun
14th June 2007, 4:09 AM
They replaced Hikari's Theme. Ugh.

Still one of DP's more entertaining episodes that teaches kids an important lesson about getting along with minority groups.

Surreal
14th June 2007, 4:18 AM
I love this episode. Very entertaining. It's funny when Giavonni is dancing.

Medea
14th June 2007, 10:48 AM
Well...

-Just seeing Dawn practice her performance with Piplup reminded me so much of May with Beautifly...and then I remind myself of Drew coming. Damn memories!
-*sighs* Another cartoon moron(s) in powdered wigs! You cannot beat the classics!
-You know! Ludicolo's voice sounds a lot like Butch's old voice and sounded more like it than Butch's new voice if you understand where I'm going with it.
-"Sweatin to the oldies"...LOL! Meowth's line when visioning the boss dancing!

And that's all I want to say on this episode. It really wasn't one of my favorites!

Pika Hikari KT
14th June 2007, 11:32 AM
-"Sweatin to the oldies"...LOL! Meowth's line when visioning the boss dancing!
Meowth said that(I really didn't catch what he said)?! Damn Richard Simmons reference(re: so gay)...>_<;

-You know! Ludicolo's voice sounds a lot like Butch's old voice and sounded more like it than Butch's new voice if you understand where I'm going with it.
It's always sounded like Butch(sadly enough), but it seems to be a bit more peppy when they were dancing.^^

Wynaut?
14th June 2007, 12:34 PM
This was a nice one, lots of stuff returning that I've kinda missed, including a Meowth boss fantasy and a story revolving around a group of Pokémon. Plus the general interaction between these Pokémon.

Piplup's really growing on me, how it just keeps on trying. It's also really cute when Piplup and Dawn do their little poses. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/kevinoc/vlcsnap-102325.png) ^_^

Best quote - Dawn: We may have messed up, but we look great doing it!
8/10.

Soul Dew
14th June 2007, 2:32 PM
No, the best quote was "No matter what you think, I'm not a piece of fruit!"

Wynaut?
14th June 2007, 3:10 PM
Haha, I forgot about that one. Made me laugh too ^_^

S.Suikun
14th June 2007, 3:31 PM
I believe it went, "Carnivine, I'm not a piece of fruit, no matter what anybody says!" I admit, that got a laugh out of me, also.

Venusaur Master
14th June 2007, 4:12 PM
An ok filler episode.

asia_catdog_blue
14th June 2007, 6:38 PM
James is going to let Cacnea rot in the ball, isn't he?

King Wulfharth
14th June 2007, 6:42 PM
No, the best quote was "No matter what you think, I'm not a piece of fruit!"

thst made me lol piplup i'm still getting use to its still very annoying to me dawn too.

Soul Dew
14th June 2007, 8:06 PM
I believe it went, "Carnivine, I'm not a piece of fruit, no matter what anybody says!" I admit, that got a laugh out of me, also.

Pokemonopolis is going to get a kick out of that.

Desert Flower
14th June 2007, 9:05 PM
Golduck made me laugh in this one. The way it was animated was so comical, especially when Jesse was telling it that the berries didn't have its name on them.

scissorX
15th June 2007, 10:25 AM
This episode was pretty good, nice and relaxed.

I liked how their developing Piplup, rather than just make it a generically weak baby starter Pokémon (ala Torchic), they've given it this whole pride ordeal.

Pearl's Perap
15th June 2007, 12:30 PM
Wasn't really much for this episode, wasn't too interesting in my eyes...

I like how they are focusing on Piplup and Dawn moreso than anyone else so far, it makes a change that someone else has some well needed limelight. Each time I watch, I believe I've said already somewhere, I begin to like Piplup more and more, it has a great attitude and is always so determined, it and Dawn go well together.

Team Rocket actually made me laugh in this episode, they just began to dance every so often, when plotting to capture the Ludicolo, who made the episode for me, though all they did was sing, dance and talk in unison once or twice.

One thing I wanna know, why did they those water pokémon, out of all they have? Bit too much like recycling in my eyes, though I understand, a lot are water-bound and can't come on land, i'm sure there's still more about than just Kanto and Johto pokémon, with a few Hoenn...

Jessie's Hair + Water = Good

6/10

Geodude
15th June 2007, 12:35 PM
James is going to let Cacnea rot in the ball, isn't he?

No. He does start sending it out again after a while. Keep in mind that D/P advertisements get priority.

Ret46
18th June 2007, 10:44 PM
This episode especially shows how much of a bond Dawn & Piplup have.

uber gon
19th June 2007, 9:28 AM
Frankly TR obsessing over ONE basketful of berries when the already have a lot more surprises me.

Anyone 4 Buttons?
28th June 2007, 7:14 PM
Once again, a decent enough D/P saga episode, focusing on Dawn's relationship with Piplup, which is nice for a change. However, I'm still wondering why Ash didn't call on Aipom or Turtwig to do either Swift or Razor Leaf on those mechanical Remoraid, at least helping Piplup out.

Golduck did look a little small also, but that's something I've come to expect now, size-shifting pokés...

npdargy312
18th July 2007, 9:10 AM
another boring filler episode...

SpongeBoblover
7th November 2007, 3:39 AM
My favorite part was Jessie telling Golduck about a name on a berry

Rebeccag
12th February 2008, 11:12 PM
This was an ok episode although i thought they focused on team rocket a bit too much. However I did like the idea of Piplup protecting the water pokemon and also the bit at the beginning with the contest. Overall an okish episode and concentrated on the relationship between Piplup and Dawn as well

octoboy
26th March 2008, 4:26 AM
Edit: Damn, I totally missed how old this thread was. Sorry for bringing this up, please don't get mad!

wobbanut
17th August 2008, 10:52 PM
The whole storyline with the golduck and the ludicolos is friggin' hilarious in this episode. :D I love the exaggerated animation when golduck panics because the berries are missing, and how it shrinks in size as Jessie the judge states her case. The reaction from the ludicolos when they're accused is hilarious too. Easily one of the better storylines of the early part of season 10.

I also like how Piplup keeps trying against all odds to make a dent in Team Rocket's sub, and the part at the beginning when Ash, Brock, and Pikachu were judging Dawn and Piplup's performance.

One of the best parts, though, was when Carnivine bites James and James tells him that he's not a piece of fruit- no matter what anyone else says. A nod to some pokemon fans' comments, perhaps? :)

dagon22
24th November 2008, 2:24 AM
I like how this episode focused on Dawn and Piplpup. Their pokemon contest move is so cool looking. Team Rocket could have gotten away with all the food, but no.

JunLeaf
24th November 2008, 6:04 PM
Woah, this was a very awesome Episode! A good story, with fun and seriously parts. Also the title is great chosen!

Igottapoo
21st January 2009, 10:28 AM
Good episode. I loved the lack of Ash & Co. But Piplup is starting to get a little too much attention ^_^;

Rommath
21st January 2009, 8:48 PM
Alright episode. Team Rocket Judges were funny, they could have gotten away with the berries if they tried. And another innuendo line which seemed to explain a lot...

(s.i.e)
11th March 2009, 10:51 AM
this episode was nicely focussed on dawn and piplup which was nice if you ask me,
i like those episodes where things get's more focussed on a certain person.

Littlemyuu
27th April 2009, 4:11 PM
A good episode, Piplup who get lost..glad it was back to dawn again

S.Suikun
10th May 2009, 6:31 PM
The fun thing about rewatching some of these episodes is that some age better than others. Here is one such example of the latter...

You know, I recall this episode being a lot funnier in 2006. Maybe it was the stellar off-the-wall animation or the fact that in my original post it seems I could not stop making racist references, but much of this episode is actually a chore to sit through. It is a testament to how much animation can make or break an episode, however, as it certainly spruces up what would otherwise be another mundane episode with Pokemon communicating with one another (Shinjo's wackiness has nowadays translated into Natsume goodness). Granted, those episodes are usually fun, and a psychotic Golduck helps here, but Team Rocket is actually a bit of a drag here. This also happens to be the point where Pochama begins to take the reigns of its semi-mascot status, but at least for now, the thing is quite entertaining.

Little touches prevent this episode from being too formulaic. Ludicolo is always a fun Pokemon who I still cannot stop smirking at today, we do get some vital contest practice that Haruka did not really receive at first, and Pochama's personality and not-well-thought-out leadership hits an early peak. Otherwise, it follows a very standard formula. We pointed out back then that it was the third consecutive episode not to have any new debut, and in a sense, this episode was a tad unnecessary this early in the game, but there even in Hoenn, we had early fillers that were worse than this. All-in-all, it's not as entertaining as I recall, but it's a cute episode regardless.

B-

catzisconfus
16th August 2009, 9:17 PM
i liked how golduck talks XD

Ash-kid
18th December 2009, 12:42 PM
I loved to see all those water type pokemon.

especially Ludicolo and Golduck. i was happy to see tham in the anime again.

And Piplup was funny...

8/10

Lorde
22nd December 2009, 11:53 PM
Funny. Team Rocket has to ruin everything, including the wild Pokemon's food supply. I was all for Piplup back when this aired. We all thought Piplup would be the star for a few more episodes. I liked that it became the hero in early Sinnoh as a result. I liked that Dawn got some practice for the Jubilife Contest too. A decent Sinnoh filler episode. 6/10.

Armaldo48
5th January 2010, 6:42 PM
I think this episode was hilarious, especially the part that team rocket dressed up like judges.

8/10

popcorn dragon
6th January 2010, 1:48 AM
This was a pretty sucky filler. I liked the judges part, but this episode also shows Piplup is a complete wimp. I'd say 5/10.

KGB13
14th January 2010, 6:33 PM
This episode cracked me up. The funniest part to me was Dawn's reaction when she found out Piplup volunteered to protect the other pokemon, hilarious. I was happy that Ludicolo and Golduck made appearances because I like them. Another great episode.

Willow's Tara
31st May 2010, 5:37 AM
It was an okay thought. The feud between Ludicolo and Golduck (And the other water types) weren't too bad. Piplup sure was trying to be a hero/leader in this episode much like the other episodes.

I liked how Jessie was kind of mocking Golduck when she was saying his name wasn't on the berry lol.

saar
8th July 2010, 2:40 PM
Piplup actually didn't do so much things in this episode. The focus was on Team Rocket.
Ludicolo and Golduck - It's good to see them again. I missed.

~Platinum~
20th July 2010, 2:49 AM
I liked this episode. The facial expressions were funny and we got to see Ludicolo and Golduck which is always a good time in the anime. But considering that the DP Saga is almost over I can't help but think that this was the first of many, many episodes centered around Piplup. And I was also disappointed that that technique never got used in a contest. Well, this was a fun episode and pretty good for a filler.

Lance The Champ
28th November 2010, 9:44 AM
Team Rocket as judges! To me that was one of their best disguises

G50
27th April 2011, 4:50 AM
This episode was ok... TR was definitely a pain in this episode... They stole the berries the Water Pokemon worked so hard to gather, which caused a feud between them and the Ludicolo. It was cool to see the 3 Ludicolo dancing. The Boss fantasy with the Richard Simmons routine was hilarious! It was cool for TR to be exposed and then the Water Pokemon blast them off themselves.

20/100

wind21
1st June 2011, 3:00 AM
Just want to add to this:

They are two nitpicks I have with this episode. The first one is a "minor" one, about the Remoraid machine things. That was definitely a not very creative way to force Piplup to have to use its contest bubblebeam. Remoraid was a nice choice, in terms of old pokemon showing up, I guess, so it's not all bad. The second thing would be the way Ash doesn't call out Starly or Turtwig or Aipom to help Piplup when it was struggling. So this whole scenario wasn't too well thought out.

But what I really liked was the way Ash, Brock, and Dawn observed what Piplup was doing, rather than intervene directly. I think that's the type of interaction that defines Sinnoh. You never get the sense that our heroes know exactly what the right thing to do is, and, really what exactly is the right thing to do isn't clear either. That's something I've always really liked about the Sinnoh episodes, b/c I believe real life is like that. Of course, many people don't prefer to observe and don't hesitate to just jump in there and take action, but I'm just not one of those people. So for me, I have an easier time relating to the Sinnoh episodes.

Every now and then, a topic will open up about the group dynamics of the Sinnoh group, and I think this epiosde was really good in showcasing the way it normally works. Though this is Dawn's home region, she's the "stranger" in this group. Ash and Brock have traveled together for so long and are pretty good friends. Dawn is also more hesitant to voice her opinion, mostly saying what she thinks in a questioning voice, b/c of her inexperience as a trainer compared to the relative experience of Ash and Brock. The differences in experience allow for variety in the storylines; Ash's storyline, in terms of the skill he has to show in order to overcome his obstacles in Sinnoh, is much more complex than Dawn's. You can see an example of that here. Last episode, Ash lost a very tough, tough match to Paul; here, Dawn gets character growth just by believing in Piplup. But to make up for that "simplicity," if you will, Dawn's journey is much more emotional; and it's fun to watch. I think one thing that's lacking next region is that all three characters of the group feel equal; they are the same, and there's no real variety, in terms of turmoil, of their journey (subjects are different, yet complexity of solutions and how the problems are solved feel similar).

The sandwich
9th August 2011, 12:50 AM
So THATS where the counter shield idea came from. :rolleyes:

Ash seems to be getting all his battle techniques from Dawn.

Dawn and Piplup
4th March 2012, 5:21 PM
It was adorable seeing Piplup try so hard throughout the episode and golduck was just hillarious!
One of my fav eps!

BurningSociety12345543210
9th June 2012, 9:13 PM
This episode wasn't as horrible as other people make it seem.

Piplup spinning while using a move sounds a lot like counter shield. Ash even stole that idea from her. >:O

At least Dawn is returning, so he can steal her ideas again and become less of a joke. Hanging around Iris so much has made him a little annoying.

And I laughed at "Carnivine I am not a peice of fruit, no matter what anybody said!!"

Bulba the Great!
14th June 2012, 7:20 AM
I feel so bad for Golduck when the TRio is interrogating it :(

Dawn+Serena Fan
25th August 2012, 12:24 AM
This episode was Hilarious, mostly because of Piplup. Also Piplup masters the spinning bubblebeam move, which I believe is the countershield move.
I give this episode an 8/10.