PDA

View Full Version : What's More Popular?

Phatkav
9th December 2006, 1:52 AM
This question has been bothering me for a while now so I decided to post it here.
Which is more popular in the West here (mainly USA and Canda) Manga like Naruto, FMA or Amercian Comics like Marvel and DC?

Sorry if this question has been asked many times or is it in the wrong place. If there is already a thread about this subject, can you please link it to me.

BattleFranky~40
9th December 2006, 2:00 AM
American comics.

Manga will most likely never have as much success as American comics in America.

Phatkav
9th December 2006, 2:11 AM
Is there some sorta of an article for the reasons or comparing the sales of both manga and american comics? I kinda find it hard to believe that American comics are more popular than manga in here becuase in my school, all what I see is people reading manga. Never seen someone reading a comic before in my school.

+Rhapsody+
9th December 2006, 3:14 AM
Manga's popularity is on the rise, so I imagine that it might overtake the sales of comics one of these days.

Titles like FMA, Naruto, and most shounen are what make up the majority of manga sales, it seems. I believe that FMA was voted #1 in popularity. Surprising, since I see so many Naruto fans.

Super-Staff
9th December 2006, 4:17 AM
Even with manga's popularity, it's still not as recognizable here as Superman or Batman or X-Men. The superheroes are American icons, Superman especially. Even the tweenage girls that watch The CW know about Clark Kent through Smallville.

undisputed_seraphim
9th December 2006, 5:42 AM
Which I feel isn't fair, because manga characters have the appropriate balance between character developments and storyline. I'm sick of those retcons Marvel/DC has to spout because they introduce a new characters out of the blue or they needd to patch up some anomalies they have in their stories.

Phatkav
9th December 2006, 5:46 AM
I never get why people don't get bored from these Marvel/Dc characters. They have been around for like 20 years. I wonder if there is a manga witht he samething.

That Scary Clefairy
9th December 2006, 8:08 AM
I never get why people don't get bored from these Marvel/Dc characters. They have been around for like 20 years. I wonder if there is a manga witht he samething.

Golgo 13 is one of em. Doremon is another. been around since the 60's and still continuing.

BattleFranky~40
9th December 2006, 5:06 PM
Doraemon has been around since 69. Golgo 13 since 69 as well. Kochikame since 76. Hajime no Ippo since 90. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure since 87.

Doraemon is currently at 45 volumes and still going. Golgo 13 is at 138 volumes and still going. Kochikame is at over 151 volumes and still going. Ippo is at 78 volumes and still going. Jojo is at 90 volumes and still going.

If people don't get bored with them after all these years, people won't get bored with comic characters they know and love.

Goth_Guy
9th December 2006, 11:31 PM
Anerican comics get turned into major hollywood films, but there are not too many manga movies in US and Canada.

That Scary Clefairy
9th December 2006, 11:36 PM
Doraemon has been around since 69. Golgo 13 since 69 as well. Kochikame since 76. Hajime no Ippo since 90. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure since 87.

Doraemon is currently at 45 volumes and still going. Golgo 13 is at 138 volumes and still going. Kochikame is at over 151 volumes and still going. Ippo is at 78 volumes and still going. Jojo is at 90 volumes and still going.

If people don't get bored with them after all these years, people won't get bored with comic characters they know and love.

JoJo stopped. It's Steel ball Runner the spinoff that's continuing

HK
11th December 2006, 1:55 AM
Which is more popular in the West here (mainly USA and Canda) Manga like Naruto, FMA or Amercian Comics like Marvel and DC?

While the whole of North American (and European comics) is doing far better than the majority of manga out in the U.S. right now, certain serial manga, specifically Naruto, are pretty much skyrocketing and are bringing in more sales than comics. In fact, I think it is the eleventh volume of Naruto which is the top selling graphic novel this year, and it's safe to say it will be come the end of 2006.

Manga will most likely never have as much success as American comics in America.

I'm afraid I have to disagree here, Franky.

Considering that certain series are launching more awareness of manga and consistently positioning them to be in the top sales for graphic novels, let alone all types of books, and that companies are becoming more and more aware that there is a market out there for mature titles, thus the comic crowd is taking notice (considering that Vertical is having plenty of success with Buddha and Ode to Kirihito), I have to say that manga will come to pass on equal footing with comics here.

Now, quality for both mediums are another discussion...

Which I feel isn't fair, because manga characters have the appropriate balance between character developments and storyline.

And comics don't do that? Come to think of it, have you even checked out, let alone read a comic that isn't under the superhero genre?

I'm sick of those retcons Marvel/DC has to spout because they introduce a new characters out of the blue or they needd to patch up some anomalies they have in their stories.

They have long-running fans. Deal.

Also, the crap that is abundant in U.S. comics is about on par with the amount of crap in manga, so don't try to make one medium to be better than the other.

Anerican comics get turned into major hollywood films, but there are not too many manga movies in US and Canada.

And that's a fair comparison how? Traditional comics over here have been around FOR DECADES. Manga has been on the rise in popularity for only a decade, if even that.