PDA

View Full Version : Starmie or Gengar?

-Discord-
11th December 2006, 4:29 AM
Hmm, I'm torn between special sweepers. In a few weeks, I'll be getting FR/LG trades, so I'll definently get Gengar and Lax(maybe Bliss and aero too)

I'm thinking on who to choose for a special sweeper. So far, I'm thinking of Starmie for a few reasons.

- higher speed
- better defenses
- Special STABS!!!
- Great STAB'd moves
- stronger base power moves

but, gengar has

- more diversity
- 130 Base S.Atk
- more type coverage

but..

way less overall Base power
no special stabs(which sucks)

I see it like this.

The ElemPunches have 75 BP each.
Gengar's S.Atk = 394
75% of 394 = 295.5 ---> 295

Gengar has 295.5 S.Atk when using an ElemPunch
Gengar has 354 S.Atk when using Psychic
Gengar has 374 S.Atk when using T-Bolt
Gengar has 236 S.Atk when using Giga Drain

Starmie has 311 S.Atk when using T-Bolt
Starmie has 311 S.Atk when using I-Beam
Starmie has 442 S.Atk when using Psychic
Starmie has 465 S.Atk when using Surf

So, as you can see, I'm torn between Gengar and Starmie.(All of those values imply neutral effectiveness)

Starmie has less diversity but impressive STAB's, and overall power, and more speed.

Gengar has diversity with all of its options and even awesome support options. Also it owns Shedinja.

totallylost
11th December 2006, 4:30 AM
i like starmie but gengar is just cool

aragornbird
11th December 2006, 4:45 AM
i like starmie but gengar is just cool
Bravo, that's a really intelligent and detailed response. =\

It all depends on the rest of your team. Although I'm leaning towards Gengar. Starmie's main role is a Rapid Spinner, but since Spikes are virtually non-existant in-game, all it can do is special sweep.
And unless your bulky Water is Swampert, putting Starmie on your team basically designates it as THE Water type, whereas that role could go to something with better defenses to handle Mence/Ttar etc.

Gengar provides a useful Normal/Fighting immunity and handles Blissey/Snorlax who stops Starmie in its tracks. With moves like Explosion and Destiny Bond, you can ensure that it will take at least one Pokemon down

BigCharizard
11th December 2006, 4:56 AM
It is definitely a toss-up. Both are good choices, so, as was said above, it really depends on what you need. Gengar has a lot of physical resistances, so I'm leaning towards him.

Very detailed research though. I'm impressed.

The Mighty Wurmple
11th December 2006, 8:00 AM
That's Aragornbird for ya =O

It depends on personal preference. I like Gengar because of its 3 Resistances (Fighting,Normal,Ground) And also it is immune to Toxic.
30 more Base Sp. Atk can make up to a 76 point difference too, so choose Gengar if you want raw power.

Levski
11th December 2006, 11:55 AM
Gengar has a wider movepool and is far more diverse in terms of attacking. It doesn't get completely walled by Blissey/Snorlax which doesn't apply to Starmie, which is rendered useless by either one. There are so many possibilities for Gengar's moveset it's unbelievable.

Starmie, however, has Recover, which is one of it's advantages. Despite it's miniscule HP and subpar Defenses, it can still survive a hit, granted this is In-game.

I prefer Gengar.

-Discord-
11th December 2006, 12:42 PM
Okay, so I'll probably use Gengar.

Sirius
11th December 2006, 1:05 PM
Why don't you try both out? I mean, talking really doesn't get you as far as actually trying. Even though you got great theories and stuff, try both.

squirtleboy12
11th December 2006, 1:11 PM
both are good choices with wide movepool..i prefer gengar for type coverage

yazzel
11th December 2006, 5:06 PM
gengar
one thing give him a lot of speed and sp.attack ev's :)

Reno
11th December 2006, 5:23 PM
i personally prefer starmie, for then speed boost, and the fact it can learn boltbeam, surf ans psychic, allof which are high base pwoer mvoes. and it can recover itself.