PDA

View Full Version : how do you feel about SJ using dub names in Yu-Gi-Oh GX?

uncutpokemon
12th December 2006, 9:11 PM
last month Shonen Jump started translating the Yu-Gi-Oh GX manga for us. sad to say however they used dub names for all the charactors except for the ones exclusive to the manga. are you glad they did, or mad at them?

ShinyManafi
12th December 2006, 9:41 PM
Doesn't bother me either way

Rex Kamex
12th December 2006, 9:51 PM
I personally don't care too much (even though they used the original names in the original Yu-Gi-Oh! comic), but why did you make this a separate thread instead of put it in the Shonen Jump thread? Or is it because of the poll?

Erus Black Mage
13th December 2006, 9:48 PM
Hating a company just for using Dub Name is stupid imo.

Korobooshi Kojiro
13th December 2006, 10:05 PM
Considering everything else is translated really good, and the minor characters are keeping their names, and I can imagine better voices in my mind, it's not that big of a deal.

Chris
13th December 2006, 11:43 PM
I'd rather what's being done to GX than what was done to Dragon Ball (Z).

BattleFranky~40
13th December 2006, 11:45 PM
I'd rather what's being done to GX than what was done to Dragon Ball (Z).
What exactly happened in DBZ?

Erus Black Mage
13th December 2006, 11:58 PM

They cut down the 38 episodes in Season 1 to 26 Episodes.

BattleFranky~40
14th December 2006, 12:02 AM

And what does this have to do with dub names?

Catalyst
14th December 2006, 7:26 PM
Couldn't they take GX out and give us more Gintama? =/

BattleFranky~40
14th December 2006, 10:13 PM
Couldn't they take GX out and give us more Gintama? =/

Give us something good? Never.

K-flygon
14th December 2006, 10:40 PM
what do you mean when you say dub names??

BattleFranky~40
14th December 2006, 10:40 PM
what do you mean when you say dub names??

Could he possibly mean names used in the dub?

Ugobama
14th December 2006, 11:00 PM
I like the concept of dubbed names. Fo some odd reason, I just do.

Chris
15th December 2006, 12:45 AM
I was talking about the manga, you dolt. :| They fixed that with the Ultimate Uncut dubs.

Mr. Satan became Hercule and some kind of past history of being a professional ex-wrestler, as opposed to a martial artist.

Weapons pointed at people were edited out, such as #17 holding a gun to an old man's head was changed to him punching the guy.

Bulma's top being removed in front of Roshi to nose bleed on the Invisible Man was changed to just having her bra exposed. Even the Invisible Man's lips are edited out.

Vegetto became Vegerot.

Mr. Popo is now lipless.

Makankosappo (or Special Beam Cannon) turned into "Light of Death."

Artificial Humans (or Cyborgs) are refered to as Androids, despite them not being robots except for #16.

Majin Boo is now Djinn Boo or Boo the Djinn.

Satan City was edited to be Herculopolis.

Pretty much all major nudity is edited (yes, including Bulma during Dragon Ball) in the books featuring Viz's new logo.

#16's Hell Flash become Inferno Blast.

Middle fingers were edited out.

Some of the writing is also changed up to appear "cute," such as when Goku is hurled out of the ring by Giran, the original naration text wonders how Goku will make it, while the Viz one asks if Goku will make it and then stating "Well..how do you explain DRAGON BALL Z?!"

That's as far as I can remember. I'd have prefered them keeping the content and just using FUNi's terms if anything. Instead we have a mix of unedited content with, FUNi terms as well as Viz trying to be creative while also editing content. Funny how Dragon Ball received a T-rating while Z got an A (for All Readers).

Unfortunately, it seems the Dragon Ball writers may have slipped into the One Piece department, as a number of changes are being made there.