16th December 2006, 1:02 AM
Idea for a water type team for Ruby.

Swampert
Relaxed Nature
Surf
Ice Beam
Earthquake
Rest

Ludicolo (Rain Dish) (will trade from my FAKE Emerald :()
Calm Nature
Dive/Surf
Toxic
Rain Dance
Ice Beam

Gyarados
Adamant Nature
Return
HP Physical
Earthquake
Dragon Dance

Azumarill (Huge Power)
Brave Nature
Surf
Return/Double Edge
Focus Punch
Substitute

Starmie (Natural Cure)
Modest/Timid
Surf
Psychic
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam

Gorebyss
Quiet Nature
Surf
Agility
Baton Pass
Amnesia/Iron Defense

I have access to any Fire Red pokemon as well. Please amke suggestions as to good alternatives.

The Mighty Wurmple
16th December 2006, 1:06 AM
I suppose the nature for the Gorebyss is OK, seeming you can't really trade for another one without another Deep Sea Scale.
Do you know exactly what type Gyarados' Hidden Power is?

The sets look good. For Starmie though you can try Recover over Psychic.

Mii
16th December 2006, 1:08 AM
Lanturn>Azumarill

Kingdra could be there too since it has one weakness.

You could also use Walrien since it nearly almost never faints, but that's pushing it.

BigCharizard
16th December 2006, 1:12 AM
This is just an idea for a team. Nothing is set in stone yet. I just wrote what I thought would be the best. I don't have access to Emerald tutors until I get a real one (apparently fakes cut out after the E4, don't really feel like testing that out), and I have to share any FR/LG tutor moves with my FR team. If you think one of the natures is bad, please correct me. I just want some feedback before I build my team.

[Kingdra]
16th December 2006, 1:56 AM
Swampert
Relaxed Nature@Leftovers
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Rest

Ludicolo@Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Synthesis/Rest
- Toxic
- Leech Seed
- Ice Beam/Surf

Gyarados@Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Return
- HP (Flying)
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Azumarill@Leftovers
Brave Nature/Lonely Nature
- Surf
- Return/HP (Ghost)
- Focus Punch
- Substitute

Starmie@Leftovers
Modest
- Surf
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Gorebyss@Leftovers
Quiet Nature
- Surf
- Agility
- Baton Pass
- Amnesia

DON'T THINK ABOUT REPLACING AZUMARILL!!!

Chomper
16th December 2006, 3:08 AM
Ludicolo @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
-Surf
-Toxic
-Leech Seed
-Synthesis

Ludicolo wants Surf.

BigCharizard
16th December 2006, 5:09 AM
Is there a good Ludicolo set w/o Leech Seed (or breeding)?

Sniper123
16th December 2006, 6:16 AM
Ludicolo with Synthesis? Waters like rain so its recovery power goes down.

[Kingdra]
16th December 2006, 6:59 AM
You don't put Rain Dance on Ludicolo...

EDIT: W00T NEW RANK!!!!!

Timmy73
16th December 2006, 7:14 AM
Water Team with only 1 Rain Dancer and only 2 Swift Swimmers? Not Good.

I suggest removing Gyarados since he doesn't really fit well with a Water Team with lack of Swift Swim. Also remove Azumarill, it doesn't really use the rain to its benefit either. Azumarill is really a Subpuncher than needing Rain Dance Reliance.

With Azumarill and Gyarados out, I suggest adding a Lightningrod Pokemon. Preferably Manectric or Marowak. And then the remaining space with Another Swift Swimmer. Kingdra and Huntail are good choices.

Baton Passing Gorebyss should also have a Bold Nature. Otherwise use Modest.

If this is just a single battle. Instead of Manectric or Marowak, use Jolteon to absorb Electric attacks with its Volt Absorb. So once you see an electric attack coming (By prediction), switch to Jolteon and it would recover HP from the electric attack and saving an electric vulnerable water pokemon.

Also...

Single Battle Ludicolo Alternate Set

Calm/Modest
-Rain Dance
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Giga Drain/Leech Seed

Double Battle Set
Modest
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Leech Seed
-Fake Out (Block one enemy so that your ally rain dancer will not have to risk getting hit twice)

BigCharizard
16th December 2006, 7:19 AM
Wiggity-wow. The theme was supposed to be a Water Pokemon team. If I was REALLY worried about electric types, I'd use a Lanturn with Volt Absorb. But then again, I have Swampert, who is IMMUNE to electric. Also, I'm not going to be relying on Rain Dance for anything other than Ludicolo's Rain Dish.

Oh damn! I just beat Cue Ball Jamal in FR. That has got to be the greatest trainer name EVER!!

SapphireL
16th December 2006, 7:20 AM
Swampert (Brave/Sassy Nature)
-Curse
-Rest
-Ice Beam/Surf (IB is better)
-EQ

You don't really need a Relaxed nature since Curse will be adding to its Defense.

[Kingdra]
16th December 2006, 7:21 AM
Or a Whiscash,Swampert, or Quagsire...Those take care of Electrics.You don't need Rain Dancers and Swimmers for a good team.You need Sweepers...

BigCharizard
16th December 2006, 7:27 AM
I think I'm going to use my starter Mudkip as my Swampert, so no Cursing for me. I'll save that for my Emerald team.

BTW, which Poke can breed Curse to Mudkip besides Slowpoke?

[Kingdra]
16th December 2006, 7:29 AM
Nothing =/ I need a Slowpoke so I can do that..

BigCharizard
16th December 2006, 7:32 AM
Looks like I'll be needing Leaf Green.

ShinyManafi
16th December 2006, 7:33 AM
Torkoal -> Rhyhorn -> Mudkip, you could do it this way,

BigCharizard
16th December 2006, 7:35 AM
Torkoal -> Rhyhorn -> Mudkip, you could do it this way,

Thanks a bunch for the advice. I can easily catch a Torkoal, and I have a female Rhydon in my Fire Red team.

tyranofreak
16th December 2006, 7:35 AM
Swampert@Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
Surf/Rock Slide/Ice Beam
Rest
Earthquake
Curse

Ludicolo@Leftovers
Calm Nature
Rain Dance
Ice Beam
Surf/Hydro Pump
Leech Seed/HP Grass

Gyarados@Leftovers
Adamant Nature
Dragon Dance
Earthquake
HP Flying
Taunt

Azumarill@Leftovers
Brave Nature
Substitute
Focus Punch
HP Ghost
Surf /Sing /Frustration /Iron Tail /Encore

Starmie@
Modest/Timid
Surf
Rapid Spin
Thunderbolt/Ice Beam
Recover

Gorebyss@Leftovers
Quiet Nature
Rain Dance
Surf/Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
HP Grass/HP Electric

[Kingdra]
16th December 2006, 7:36 AM
You can? I'm saved! Yeah, then you should do that.

aragornbird
16th December 2006, 7:42 AM
@tyranofreak: Nice job suggesting competitive movesets for an IN-GAME team. Rapid Spin is useless since no one uses Spikes and good Hidden Powers are almost impossible to get. Really, think logically before posting.

[Kingdra]
16th December 2006, 7:44 AM
*looks at aragorn's post* *looks at tyranofreak's post* LOL! Yeah, believe it or not some of those don't work In-Game...

mHMM
16th December 2006, 8:06 AM
Swampert (Brave/Sassy Nature)
-Curse
-Rest
-Ice Beam/Surf (IB is better)
-EQ

You don't really need a Relaxed nature since Curse will be adding to its Defense.

why is curse so popular on swampert??
personally, i think his speed is too bad to drop anymore, and why waste a space for that when you could have ice beam AND surf without it??
its an uncommon move so people just kind of assume its good and throw it on everything that can learn it.

Timmy73
16th December 2006, 8:18 AM
Since Swampert's Speed is bad, you don't need to worry about dropping it further. Swampert can't really out run any sweepers anyway.

Mello
16th December 2006, 8:45 AM
Let's see... Firstly, I would NEVER reccomend a team with all Pokemon of the same type, you'll just have some weaknesses. I'll try and help though =D.

Swampert I like the choice of Swapert. Electricity doesn't affect him, and that's great as you're trying an all water team.
Relaxed Nature This is an okay nature. Swampert's defence isn't usually that good, so the + in defence is useful, but as for the reduction in speed, that isn't really good: Swampert is already pretty slow

Surf: Love this choice! Surf > Hydro Pump anyday!

Ice Beam: This is good. Flyers, Ground Types and Dragons aren't going to like this very much :P.

Earthquake: Good. It puts a rest to those electric types!

Rest: OKAY. This isn't a bad move, but it could waste time. Say a grass type (Who Swampert is double weak to) decides to go with Solar Beam, they get a free turn to suck in the sunlight, and another free turn to send it at you. It'll probably leave you dead, even if you do rest. I'd probably just give Swampert Leftovers and replace this with maybe Substitute, if you're concerened for HP.

Ludicolo (Rain Dish) (will trade from my FAKE Emerald ) Fair choice, doesn't have a full advantage against Ground/Fire types that Water should have, but not bad. Ludicolo has great movepool.
Calm Nature Not bad. It minuses from the Attack skill, but you have no physical moves listed, and Ludicolo can't learn many, so that doesn't matter much. As for your boost in Special Defence, that's good, but now that Fire is out of the game, your main foes would be Flying/Ground types I'd say. They're both physical, so you'd be better off with a Defence boost.

Dive/Surf I'd say Dive over surf. Dive gives you a free turn, and is best placed on Ludicolo of all water types, because he is part grass making him strong against water (In case of someone using surf while you're underwater). I'd definately use Dive, then there's no need for a HM Slave =D.

Toxic GOOD. This'll take care of the flying types no problamo. Poison is one of the best status conditions to give your opponents.

Rain Dance This'll help Dive, but it'll give Electric types the upper-hand (Thunder, which is SHOCKINGLY powerful, but has terrible accuracy NEVER misses in rain). It's okay, but perhaps unneccisary thanks to Rain Dish.

Ice Beam This is your second Ice-Beamer. You don't need anything else over Toxic to make those flying types go bye-bye, but there isn't anything actually WRONG with Ice Beam. For now it's okay, If I come across anything else, I'll let you know.

Gyarados Good, Good. Gyrados is powerful, but you need to watch out for the electric types >.>.
Adamant Nature Not the best nature. Gyarados already has great attack and crap Special Attack without this affecting it. Although, Special Attack doesn't really matter as I see that you've given no special attacks.

Return This is good as long as you love your Gyarados. Otherwise put Flamethrower here. Ice Types might try to pick on your flying side.

HP Physical ??? What's this?

Earthquake YES. This is WHAT YOU NEED. Electric types can now kiss your butt goodbye.

Dragon Dance As I was saying, Gyarados already has good attack, but now it's a powerhouse! Hopefully that's what you want, otherwise I'd give it Flamethrower, as to get rid of Ice Types who want to pick on your Flying side.

Azumarill (Huge Power) Sorry, in my opinion, Azumarill is a no-no, he doesn't have great stats, and is hard to manage. Huge Power is also confusing. I'd put something else here. Maybe Lantern, as you need dual types.

Starmie (Natural Cure) Great choice, almost no real weakness. I love Natural Cure, my Altaria knows it and it helps a lot! Especially when paralyzed (Which tends to happen a lot to this type)
Modest/Timid These are both good natures, I have nothing to say about them.

Surf OKAY, this is the second Pokemon for Surf, but that's okay. At least it's not Hydro Pump :P.

Psychic There go the Ground/Rock/Fighting/Flying types which can give Starmie a run for it's money, this works. Psychic is a great move.

Thunderbolt Hehe, other water types have got to know that you're the best of them all. This will take out all other Water types, and Flying types which don't die to psychic :p.

Ice Beam Dragons can die now :P. I personally that you've now got every type covered with Starmie. Oh, other than electric. Just use Swampert on those types.

Gorebyss Good Special Attack, making it powerful when it comes to Special moves (I don't think it can learn any non-speshie moves anyway)
Quiet Nature

Surf Another surfer eh? This is good, to get rid of Fire types and things. I'm really glad you're still using Surf over other moves =D.

Agility Your biggest wish is to out-speed the Electric Types, and we all know how hard that is. This works well here.

Baton Pass GOOD. If the Electicity is too strong for you, just Baton Pass and pray for Swampert :P.

Amnesia/Iron Defense Amnesia over Iron Defence. You beat most Normal Attack types, you need Special Defence to watch out for Grass and Electricity.

[Kingdra]
16th December 2006, 8:49 AM
If you want to be an RMTer use the correct format, and Special Attacks on Gyarados? Lol...Unless you are Crazystarwolf you shouldn't use Special attacks...

I hope at least someone get's it...

BigCharizard
16th December 2006, 8:54 AM
Wow, thanks for the commentary on EVERY LITTLE THING I POSTED.

BTW, Rain Dish only works when Rain Dance is in effect, which is why it's there.

EDIT: Read Growlie's post more thoroughly. All I have to say is: LOLOLOL!! Why would Ice types trouble Gyarados?

Mello
16th December 2006, 9:12 AM
Wow, thanks for the commentary on EVERY LITTLE THING I POSTED.
^^ Good thing or bad thing?

Flying is weak to Ice, and despite not looking the part, Gyarados is Flying >.>.

Scepgatr
16th December 2006, 9:16 AM
Flying is weak to Ice, and despite not looking the part, Gyarados is Flying >.>.
Gyarados maybe part flying, but since he is water, Ice types aren't super-effective. Nither do they do reduced damage, Ice attacks will just hit would do normal damage. Gyarados should only be afraid of Rock and Electric attacks.

Icosahedron
16th December 2006, 9:18 AM
Bad thing imo. Most people here know what the uses of moves are, and even if some don't, it's best to address everything in a paragraph at the end of the team rate, instead of analyzing each and every element separately. It makes your post a cluttered eyesore.

And Water is resistant to Ice, and despite not looking the part, Gyarados is Water. Meaning that Ice-type attacks will hit him for neutral damage. And since he has excellent Special Defense, he has nothing to fear from Ice-type attacks. Those same Ice-types, however, fear a DD'd Earthquake from Gyarados, since their Defense isn't that great.

BigCharizard
16th December 2006, 9:29 AM
She also doesn't recognize sarcasm.

Shiny Machamp Trainer "B"
16th December 2006, 9:40 AM
A Wailord with rest, water spout, and also a chesto berry wouldn't be a bad idea I don't think.;321;

Reno
16th December 2006, 2:07 PM
A Wailord with rest, water spout, and also a chesto berry wouldn't be a bad idea I don't think.;321;

yeh, a pokemon with two moves. no thankyou.

BigCharizard
16th December 2006, 8:53 PM
Yea, I don't think I'd use Wailord anyway.

[Kingdra]
16th December 2006, 8:58 PM
Especially not with Water Spout...

aragornbird
16th December 2006, 9:02 PM
Growlie, you try to make sound like you know a lot about movesets, but really, any expert can tell that you're still an amateur (no offense, but you probably realize this yourself).

You think that decreasing Speed on Swampert is a bad thing? Speed is Swampert's least important stat. What else would you decrease? It's using both attack stats, HP is super important, so is Defense, and Special Defense helps it survive any non-Grass attacks.

lol, you suggested Flamethrower on Gyarados, lol. And Gyarados won't be taking much from Ice attacks when it has 95 base HP and 100 base Special defense.

And it's evident you have no experience with Azumarill or else you'll realize just how good Huge Power is.

I mean, it's nice that you went to all that trouble for each move. Unfortunately, most of what you said is just unnecessary filler that everyone already knows. Leave team rates to the experts please.

BigCharizard
16th December 2006, 9:05 PM
OWNED!! That is all.

aragornbird
16th December 2006, 9:07 PM
I wasn't trying to "own" her. I was only telling her to learn more about Pokemon before rating teams.

BigCharizard
16th December 2006, 9:10 PM
I felt it was necessary to say.

Would this team be good? I'm ready to start building it, and I would like to know if there are any changes that are ABSOLUTELY needed. The only thing I was planning to change (besides Ludicolo's set) was perhaps using Milotic over Azumarill (if I can get a Feebas).

BigCharizard
18th December 2006, 9:22 PM
Sorry for double posting, but I didn't want to start a new thread.

I'm now in the process of building my team. I was wondering if I should replace Azumarill with something else? I was considering using one of the Water/Dark Pokemon (Sharpedo or Crawdaunt).

[Kingdra]
18th December 2006, 9:26 PM
Azumarill is actually pretty surprising it was one of my favorites on my Emerald...Of course I didn't use it as a SubPuncher <.<

BigCharizard
18th December 2006, 9:29 PM
What set did you use for Azumarill?

[Kingdra]
18th December 2006, 9:32 PM
I didn't use a competitive set I just gave it

Azumarill
- Rollout
- Surf
- Dive
- Defense Curl...

Yeah, I broke a rule but, I wasn't planning on doing much with it...

It can work on Glacia make sure you Curl before Rollout

ludicolo_kid
18th December 2006, 9:57 PM
or you could just subpunch her whole team :D

aragornbird
18th December 2006, 10:06 PM
I'm now in the process of building my team. I was wondering if I should replace Azumarill with something else? I was considering using one of the Water/Dark Pokemon (Sharpedo or Crawdaunt).
Sharpedo and Crawdaunt suck. The only other good choice to replace Azumarill would be Cloyster as a physical wall. Of course, you can't get Cloyster in Emerald.

BigCharizard
18th December 2006, 10:09 PM
Looks like I'll be using the Subpunching Azumarill after All.