PDA

View Full Version : Magmar and Grumpig help

TheMoonman
18th December 2006, 2:00 PM
I'm in sort of a pickle. Well, maybe just a mental pickle....never mind.

Anyway, I'm planning on training a Magby, and I just got one with a Modest nature in my first couple of eggs. Although, I'm thinking of scrapping it for another one with Thunderpunch. Thing is...I'm impatient to. And plus, part of the reason I'm training one in the first place is to get it into a Magmar, and then when it makes the transition over to the D/P games, it can evolve into a kickass Buuburn. Buuburn can learn Thunderbolt in those games, and obviously I'd erase it. What do you think? Keep in mind that this Magby has Barrier with it though.

And for my Spoink...A lot of good movesets for this guy and his evolution utilize the Elemental punches, but since I don't have Emerald, I can't teach it those. Here's the moveset I had in mind:

Psychic
Calm Mind
Substitute
~~~

What other move do you think I can put in?

cybermew
18th December 2006, 2:13 PM
Hmmm,toxic, I've never caught the pig so I don't know about it's defences

Grumpig
18th December 2006, 3:58 PM
About your Grumpig...

Well, it depends. If you want a special sweeper, you could teach it Shock Wave, or if you want it more of a tank, you may want to teach him Rest and have him hold a Chesto Berry. Both moves work well, IMO.

Arbok of Doom
18th December 2006, 5:27 PM
I'm in sort of a pickle. Well, maybe just a mental pickle....never mind.

Anyway, I'm planning on training a Magby, and I just got one with a Modest nature in my first couple of eggs. Although, I'm thinking of scrapping it for another one with Thunderpunch. Thing is...I'm impatient to. And plus, part of the reason I'm training one in the first place is to get it into a Magmar, and then when it makes the transition over to the D/P games, I can evolve into a kickass Buuburn. Buuburn can learn Thunderbolt in those games, and obviously I'd erase it. What do you think? Keep in mind that this Magby has Barrier with it though.

And for my Spoink...A lot of good movesets for this guy and his evolution utilize the Elemental punches, but since I don't have Emerald, I can't teach it those. Here's the moveset I had in mind:

Psychic
Calm Mind
Substitute
~~~

What other move do you think I can put in?

About the Buuburn, I can't decide for you... if you're really gonna buy it soon I wouldn't... since it seems pointless and you have a good nature already...

For the Grumpig, go with Shock Wave...

aragornbird
18th December 2006, 6:12 PM
Prepare your Magmar for D/P by giving it Flamethrower and Cross Chop/Focus Punch. Those Fighting attacks will do more damage to Blissey/Snorlax than Focus Bomb will.

Shock Wave sucks. Grumpig has no business using it.

Grumpig @Choice Band
-Psychic
-Fire Punch
-Calm Mind
-Trick

In D/P, you can replace CB with Adherance Glasses and Fire Punch for Shadow Ball/Focus Bomb/Energy Ball.

[Kingdra]
18th December 2006, 6:13 PM
Yeah, pretty much what aragorn bird says <.< Grumpig and Magmar are like really bad UUs you can get better ones <.<

TheMoonman
18th December 2006, 8:50 PM
Hm, I think I'll decide not to give Magmar Thunderpunch. And I'm not so sure I want to start a new one with Cross Chop either...

But I'm still having some trouble with that last move. Shock Wave sounded alright, but Rest sounded a lot more effective, so did Trick, but I'd have have to breed for that again....

TheMoonman
18th December 2006, 8:51 PM
Hm, I think I'll decide not to give Magmar Thunderpunch. And I'm not so sure I want to start a new one with Cross Chop either...

But I'm still having some trouble with that last move. Shock Wave sounded alright, but Rest sounded a lot more effective, so did Trick, but I'd have have to breed for that again....

ludicolo_kid
18th December 2006, 9:13 PM
really bad UUS? They're two of the best UUs there are.

[Kingdra]
18th December 2006, 9:16 PM
really bad UUS? They're two of the best UUs there are.Nidoking probably takes that prize...Octillery makes also a good UU sweeper...

ludicolo_kid
18th December 2006, 10:09 PM
solrock FTW imo. But this is so offtopic itsunbelievable. I would hardly call magmar uu anyway, and grumpig is more or less the best special sponge in uu.

bella_bellaboo
19th December 2006, 2:01 AM
Since Ab knows what he's doing, go with his set.

POKEMON KING LEAFGREEN
19th December 2006, 4:31 AM
Prepare your Magmar for D/P by giving it Flamethrower and Cross Chop/Focus Punch. Those Fighting attacks will do more damage to Blissey/Snorlax than Focus Bomb will.

Shock Wave sucks. Grumpig has no business using it.

Grumpig @Choice Band
-Psychic
-Fire Punch
-Calm Mind
-Trick

In D/P, you can replace CB with Adherance Glasses and Fire Punch for Shadow Ball/Focus Bomb/Energy Ball.

If Choice Band only lets you use one move (I may be wrong), why do you have Calm Mind and Trick???

aragornbird
19th December 2006, 4:47 AM
Uh, do you know anything about TrickBanding?

Trick Choice Band onto any non-physical attacker and you'll totally screw them up. After that you can start Calm Minding or do whatever you want, since the opponent is stuck using one move.

POKEMON KING LEAFGREEN
19th December 2006, 5:10 AM
*turns on GBA... and makes Grumpig learn trick... then gets a choice band*...

...Where do you get CB without the BF? Can you?...

good strategy...

aragornbird
19th December 2006, 5:17 AM
You buy CB at the same place in the BF that you buy Lefties and other items.

TheMoonman
19th December 2006, 11:06 AM
Soooooo.....what move should I give my Grumpig?

Reno
19th December 2006, 8:02 PM
use AB's suggestion. its the best one IMO. trickbanding ftw.