PDA

View Full Version : Sceptile and Raikou---Battle Frontier

Ballade
19th December 2006, 2:10 AM
Ok, I want to add Sceptile and Raikou into my BF party, but I'm not sure as to what I should have them know.

So far, my Raikou is on Colloseum at lv. 40 (I plan on keeping it there until I beat the game and then I'll transfer it and start working on getting it to lv. 50 for the current competition areas I go in) and I want to know a good set of moves to take advantage of it's great sp. atk and speed (I don't know what the nature is, so that's pretty much null and void on recommending since I'm NOT re-playing it just to get a better !#@$ing nature). I already know that Bite and T-bolt are good ones to use (Crunch is learned at lv 61, 11 levels higher than what I always go to meaning I wouldn't be able to use him). What other two attacks would help me out?

Also, how about this for Sceptile:
Hardy nature (I REALLY don't want to try to breed for a better nature)
Seismic Toss (if I had the TM for Toxic I'd use it but I don't have it anymore, and I REALLY don't want to try to breed for Crunch)
Dragon Claw
Leaf Blade
Thunder Punch

My main battle party whenever I go into the Frontier usually consists of Blaziken, Flygon, and Latios (only lost with them whenever I was severally haxxed like Guiotine (sp?) landing hits left and right) and I replace one of them if the situation calls for it (I REALLY need a powerful grass and electric pokemon in my stand-by area)

Timmy73
19th December 2006, 2:15 AM
Raikou@Modest/Timid Nature
-Thunderbolt
-Bite
-Substitute
-Calm Mind

Just ignore nature. This set... Calm Mind then sweep. Substitute to block first turn Status or when you predict someone will Toxic/Confuse Ray/Spore/Will-O-Wisp it.

If Battling above LV50, obviously use Crunch over Bite. Raikou also learns Calm Mind at LV81 but its also a TM (04).

Ballade
19th December 2006, 2:18 AM
Raikou@Modest/Timid Nature
-Thunderbolt
-Bite
-Substitute
-Calm Mind

Just ignore nature. This set... Calm Mind then sweep. Substitute to block first turn Status or when you predict someone will Toxic/Confuse Ray/Spore/Will-O-Wisp it.

If Battling above LV50, obviously use Crunch over Bite. Raikou also learns Calm Mind at LV81 but its also a TM (02).

Substitute is a tutor only move right? and it can only be taught once, right? If not, then where is it?

bella_bellaboo
19th December 2006, 2:22 AM
yes it is a tutor only move, if this is emerald, the top floor of, the Lilicove Market if it is Fr, Then it is in Fuschia City.

Ballade
19th December 2006, 2:31 AM
crap, I checked and I don't have calm mind >< Would T-wave be better instead?

bella_bellaboo
19th December 2006, 12:33 PM
I just checked Smogon, it didn't say T-Wave Anywhere. so, it isn't better.

davidone10
19th December 2006, 1:48 PM
Man, please don't use bite on raikou. It gets crunch for crying out loud!

Reno
19th December 2006, 2:08 PM
raikou@leftovers
modest/whatever
-calm mind or thunder wave
-thudnerbolt
-substitute or reflect i suppose.
-crunch

sceptile@leftovers
modest/whatever
-leaf blade
-thunderr punch
-leech seed
-substitute

Ballade
19th December 2006, 11:03 PM
Man, please don't use bite on raikou. It gets crunch for crying out loud!

And the award for not being able to read goes to.......
If you paid ANY attention at all to what I said before, you would've seen that I'm only leveling it up to 50 because that's what division I'm in right now (I'm not doing open level until I get all of the silver symbols first). Unless I can somehow get a Raikou to know Crunch before it hits 50, I'm sticking with Bite.

@ bella_bellaboo:

You forget that this is the Frontier, where Smogon strategies aren't really the norm. I'm pretty sure that because I have nothing else to teach to Raikou since I don't have Calm Mind anymore, that T-wave is alot better.

Alright, since I really don't feel like breeding another Sceptile with Crunch and perfect stats from the beginning, I'll just use leaf blade, T-punch, D-claw, and until something better comes along, Seismic Toss. I'll give Raikou Clam Mind > T-wave once I hit the Open level division as well as Crunch > Bite.

bella_bellaboo
20th December 2006, 12:33 AM
don't double post. anyways, sorry i didn't read the first post, here is a Moveset For Sceptile Leaf Blade Leech Seed Substitute Hp Fire/HP Ice @:Leftovers.

aragornbird
20th December 2006, 12:37 AM
Double posting is grand.

Also, you should try for Open Level. It beats Lv. 50 by a long shot and gives you more freedom so that you can actually teach Crunch to Raikou. Because your opponents are going to be tough and have all max IVs when you attempt for gold Symbols, meaning even one bad attack can cost you the match.

EDit: Wow, bella, I'm sure it's going to be REALLY EASY getting perfect Hidden Powers on his Sceptile IN-GAME!

Ballade
20th December 2006, 2:54 AM
Like I said, I don't feel like trying to get a better Sceptile. Even if it doesn't have Crunch or Leech Seed, it'll be really good with the other attacks, plus, I REALLY don't like Hidden Power. It's too damn confusing trying to figure out how to get the best one after going through an ungodly amount of eggs just to get the one with the right nature, HP type and power, as well as crunch.

I'll do open level once I feel comfortable with the lv. 50 division. I tried out the Factory's open level and I haven't had much luck with battling there. Even with my all-star team, I want to have a good strong team that can get the silver symbols with ease and then I'll level them up to go into Open Level.

Btw, that double post happened because the site's traffic ended up freezing my input and I'd rather risk a double post than a failed one.

yazzel
20th December 2006, 9:51 AM
raikou set
raikou@modest@ev's 252def,192speed,60spatk
moveset
crunch
thunderbolt
calm mind
reflect

spoff
20th December 2006, 12:31 PM
teach sceptile

leaf blade
brick break
earthquake
dragon claw

i found this move set in a nintendo power magazine, vol 184

ludicolo_kid
20th December 2006, 7:16 PM
^ well done spoff. Now you can stop posting it everywhere. :D

Leithsumbreon#1
20th December 2006, 7:46 PM
Spoff, dont post move sets. PLEASE, never again...

Sceptile@Scope lens
Modest

-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Leaf blade
-Thunder punch

^^^... dont be lazy and re breed. It is not that difficult. Breed shroomish with Tropius for leech seed, then tropius with Sceptile.

Raikou@Leftover

-Bite
-Thunderbolt
-Thunderwave
-~~~~~~~

You need a tank btw, unless you are using Latios as a tank...

spoff
21st December 2006, 11:34 AM
Why not, that move set was pretty good, l

leaf blade, really good grass attack
brick break, to counter its ice weakness and overall good attack
earthquake, counters fire and steel( i think ) weaknesses
dragon claw, good overall attack

Scepgatr
21st December 2006, 12:38 PM
Why not, that move set was pretty good, l

leaf blade, really good grass attack
brick break, to counter its ice weakness and overall good attack
earthquake, counters fire and steel( i think ) weaknesses
dragon claw, good overall attack

You must also look at the stats of a Pokémon. Ever wonder why people don't give Blissey some physical moves (e.g: Body Slam)? Because Blissey's attack stat is low. Like that, Sceptile's attack stat is not good enough. It has a much better special attack, and many special moves, so they must be used. As menitoned by Ballade, Sceptile has Hardy nature, so its physcial stat will remain unchanged.
Sceptile's main stats are speed and sp.attack, so one must give it the proper EV distribution accordingly. If people used your moveset, then they will have to give some EVs in attack stat. This reduces speed and sp.attack stats.

spoff
21st December 2006, 12:44 PM
oh yeah I once had a blissey in battle factory and it had an amazing stat in defence but in attack some thing like 30!

ludicolo_kid
21st December 2006, 1:25 PM
yes ty very much for that spoff. Blissey has super high hp, high sp def and crtappy pretty much everything else.

cybermew
21st December 2006, 1:30 PM
You might have to breed if you want a good sceptile unless...

Scptile@Letovers
Toxic
Leaf Blade
T-punch
Substitue

Ok it's not as good as normal but if he doesn't want to breed...

yazzel
21st December 2006, 1:36 PM
sceptile@modest
leaf blade
crunch
dragon claw
thunder punch

ludicolo_kid
21st December 2006, 2:09 PM
we get the idea yazzel

magnemiteZ
21st December 2006, 2:49 PM
just look here next time;

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=136696

Ballade
25th December 2006, 11:59 PM
Spoff, dont post move sets. PLEASE, never again...

Sceptile@Scope lens
Modest

-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Leaf blade
-Thunder punch

^^^... dont be lazy and re breed. It is not that difficult. Breed shroomish with Tropius for leech seed, then tropius with Sceptile.

Raikou@Leftover

-Bite
-Thunderbolt
-Thunderwave
-~~~~~~~

You need a tank btw, unless you are using Latios as a tank...

I HATE re-breeding. I tried to rebreed a better Blaziken, and the best one I had reduced it's speed for it's atk. This was after an ungodly amount of eggs.

As for a tank, I have several; Regirock, ice, and steel, and metagross

Frost Nova
26th December 2006, 2:25 AM
So? Not rebreeding just because you hate the effort involved is no excuse whatsoever. Rebreeding a pokemon for a better one always pays off.