PDA

View Full Version : A Stravia is Born! (481)

Serebii
22nd December 2006, 10:18 AM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/481.jpgGood Luck, Starly!

On their way to the next town, Ash decides to train his Starly ready for the next gym. However, while training, Starly gets caught up with many flying Pokémon as they get trapped by Team Rocket. Can Ash rescue his feathered friend?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/shinou/481.shtml)

Discuss

Dreamcoat
22nd December 2006, 11:32 AM
Wow, seems its damaged brain wasn't THAT messed up after all since it had enough cells left to help all the caged birds =0

Maestro Kinético
22nd December 2006, 2:15 PM
Boring and looong. I loved the swablus though. The escened of Team Rocket sunbathing were totally unnecesary, as well as the 'inside the cave' escenes.

Another filler.

Amakusa Ryu
22nd December 2006, 4:43 PM
It wasn´t expected Mukuru´s evolution, but I enjoyed the episode. But Mukubird is a flying type; How can Ash train a flying Pokemon for a Rock Gym?

pokemaster95
22nd December 2006, 4:52 PM
he is not going to use his new pokemon it has bee comfirm he will use naetoru aipom and pikachu.

Weav-vile
22nd December 2006, 4:57 PM
I loved the episode!
Ash's Mukkuru proved to be a cool and good leader freeing its other birds friends and managing to evolve in such a cool way... And Mukubird is so cute! <3
Another moment I liked was the one in wich Team Rocket were resting by the sun... LOL, I missed that kind of thing happening on the show! I hope their costumes become more sofisticated from now on too...
And, uh... I really don't get people who always complain about a thing that is just perfect. I mean, ok, everyone's got their own opinion, but criticizing a good episode like this is just dumb, seriously. =)
And about Ash traininh his flying pokémon, y'know... Ash'll always be a noob, ROFL! xD
Just kidding ;P

- Nozomi

Gravy
22nd December 2006, 6:39 PM
Boring and looong. I loved the swablus though. The escened of Team Rocket sunbathing were totally unnecesary, as well as the 'inside the cave' escenes.

Another filler.

Yeah, because those cave scenes didn't do anything to help differentiate Mukuru from Ash's other pokémon, and it would have been so much more relevant to see Ash and co. wandering around the wilderness instead!
And seemingly pointless scenes involving fan service? Why, the animé has never done anything like that before! *cough*MARCHOFTHEEXEGGUTORSQUAD*cough*
And yes, I agree. Character development and pokémon evolution certainly DOES equate to filler material!

Anyway~

I really liked this episode. For one, the animation was lovely, but I expect as much from anyways. There are one or two minor slip-ups, but it's no different from the kind of mistakes Iwane and co. usually make, and I really love his drawing style. It's a lot more 'cartoony' than a lot of the other animation directors, and it allows him to experiment a bit more with character expression and movement.

But anyways...the episode itself was great fun, if somewhat standard to a certain degree. Mukuru, the dear blessed brain damaged thing, got it's final moment in the spotlight, and I for one thought it made for a perfect last hurrah.
Mukuru's new found personality was a welcome treat, and I was honestly surprised at how well it was handled, especially since the poor thing has had such a small amount of focus up until this point. It's leadership abilities and planning skills were quite impressive (although they did remind me of Noctowl's first episode a wee bit), and as likely as it may be, I hope they manage to incorperate this into Mukubird's personality too. I think it would prove to be interesting in a 'Turning Over a New Nuzleaf' scenario, for example.
Though if I may say so, I thought Mukuru's evolution felt far too much like a last minute tack-on. It'd been nice if the lil' guy had been a little more involved with that Team Rocket bout instead of Bonsly. I know Bonsly evolves in the next episode and all, but his involvement really didn't make much sense at all. But it's a minor complaint.

And of course, you had all the little in-betweens as well. If I'm quite honest, I actually did laugh at Female COTD's introductory scene and I was amused by Brock's ineptitude. It's made me realise that all Brock really needs for those little skits are some good facial expressions and over-the-top animé poses and he's all set. Compare Greggle poisoning him in this episode to Greggle poisoning him in, say, the Pokétch ep. The difference in 'funny' is quite noticable.

Random points of interest;

-She may have been the unholy spawn of Bugsy and…uhh…wasserface new gym leader. But she was still cute.

-I agree with The Benmeister. Team Rocket do seem a lot more competent as of late. You have to give 'em props for a trap like that, especially when it manages to net them that many pokémon.

-Did anyone else notice Hikari's 'WOAH!' expression as the group slid down into that trench? I thought it was amusing~

-The way Meowth said 'Mukuru' was cute.

-Hooray for the ever changing voice of the all powerful Mayor McCheese.

-Gotta love that Fearow poking it's head out of the ground before the earth explodes and a shower of birds fly through the resulting hole.

-Jessie in a bikini wins. Who needs Hikari when you've got a real animé babe to model swimsuits.

-You've also gotta love the stereotypical animé villainess laugh demonstrated by Jessie as Mukuru was blown back by Dustox's Gust.
Unless of course you're Ashy-boy. Because then you can't really like anything Jessie related, ne?

jolteonjak
22nd December 2006, 8:00 PM
Please tell me that Ash wasn't trying to teach Mukkuru Aerial Ace.

BattleFranky~40
22nd December 2006, 8:07 PM
Good animation, funny facial expressions, and Musashi in a bikini.

I honestly don't expect much else from Pokemon, and I like it.

Pokemaniacneo
22nd December 2006, 8:12 PM
Why did everyone think Mukkuru was brain damaged? Did somthing happen in an episode or somthing?

Jash Thor
22nd December 2006, 8:38 PM
-I agree with The Benmeister. Team Rocket do seem a lot more competent as of late. You have to give 'em props for a trap like that, especially when it manages to net them that many pokémon.

This was what stuck out to me most during this episode. It's great to see Team Rocket finally seem like competent villains. It's sad to see them constantly portrayed as rejects who can't get anything done. This is the kind of treatment they need more often. Also, the music during their sequences was spectacular. When their giant bird-house machine was assembling, there was a very ominous violin arrangement playing, and it was perfect. It helped a lot in making Team Rocket seem more...evil.

If I ran the show, Team Rocket would appear less frequently. And when they did appear, there would be no stupid Giovanni sequences and they would forego the lengthy (and now tired) introduction. Team Rocket can still seem like a goofy, rag-tag troupe of rebels, but make their appearences mean something. It's about time Team Rocket is given some respect.

Otherwise, I liked the episode alot. Mukkuru was great to watch, and it was a smart move to evolve him quickly. Hopefully he won't dissapear and Ash will continue to use him for battles, and not just aerial search and rescue.

BattleFranky~40
22nd December 2006, 9:00 PM
Why did everyone think Mukkuru was brain damaged? Did somthing happen in an episode or somthing?

Did you not see Satoshi hit Mukkuru on the head with a pokeball in an earlier episode?

S.Suikun
22nd December 2006, 9:02 PM
-She may have been the unholy spawn of Bugsy and…uhh…wasserface new gym leader. But she was still cute.
Natane?

-Did anyone else notice Hikari's 'WOAH!' expression as the group slid down into that trench? I thought it was amusing~
As I stated in the speculation thread, it was one of those little bitty animation details that you really have to be paying attention for. One of the reasons Makoto is an excellent addition to the animation crew.

-Gotta love that Fearow poking it's head out of the ground before the earth explodes and a shower of birds fly through the resulting hole.
Twas my personal favorite piece of animation in the episode. That particular scene had so much going on in it that I had to replay it about 3 times to actually absorb what was happening.

uber gon
22nd December 2006, 9:56 PM
So was Mukkubird's new attack Brave Bird?

You know by this point I thought there be more people talking about the episode.

Maestro Kinético
22nd December 2006, 9:57 PM
Yeah, because those cave scenes didn't do anything to help differentiate Mukuru from Ash's other pokémon, and it would have been so much more relevant to see Ash and co. wandering around the wilderness instead!
And seemingly pointless scenes involving fan service? Why, the animé has never done anything like that before! *cough*MARCHOFTHEEXEGGUTORSQUAD*cough*
And yes, I agree. Character development and pokémon evolution certainly DOES equate to filler material!

If its focused that way for me it is. It's like I can't have my own opinion or something. I loved the Rival Confrontation epp and the drama of it, but this one was just meh. Mukkuru evolved very early in the season and it's evolution didn't have an specific reason. I would have loved more drama. And again, the bikini escenes were not necessary (I don't remember what happened in that Kanto epp that was unnecesary but if there was something I didn't like it too) The Giovanni escene was lame, those Giovanni escenes have to dissapear. But again a very good animation with beautifully coloured landascapes.

Almighty Zard
22nd December 2006, 10:01 PM
So was Mukkubird's new attack Brave Bird?

I'm leaning more towards Aerial Ace, cause it seems like it plus the training in the begining was similar to when he was tring to teach Swellow the move, i still think it's a bit early for Brave Bird to be learned and used.

CyberCubed
22nd December 2006, 11:26 PM
The animation in this episode was gorgeous.

I love the expressions the characters have, and it makes me sad that all episodes don't look this good. Great animation alone can make even the worst filler worth watching.

I like how they built up Bonsly a little bit at the end as it battled and watched Mukkuru evolve. Mukkuru was nice in this ep, too bad we've seen so little of it before it evolved.

Overall this was a great episode. Has to be in my top 5 favorite D/P eps so far.

Hikozaru390
22nd December 2006, 11:38 PM
I think Mukkubird evolved a little early. I mean, sure, Ash had already caught Pidgeot as a Pidgeotto, Noctowl had no evolutions, and Taillow only had one, but this is too early to be evolving even a 3-stage Pokémon. We haven't even gotten to the first gym yet!

Otherwise, the episode was pretty good.

Bliksem
22nd December 2006, 11:46 PM
I loved this episode, and I'm glad that they finally gave Mukuru some much needed attention. An evolution helped too; I was tired of the poor thing getting its tail feathers handed to it. I suppose had it not evolved now, it would've been too weak to actually accomplish anything significant. But I'm thrilled at the pace D/P is going at the moment. I hope it stays like that.

CyberCubed
23rd December 2006, 12:18 AM
But I'm thrilled at the pace D/P is going at the moment. I hope it stays like that.

You mean the exact same pace Johto and Hoenn went at?

Munchlax66
23rd December 2006, 2:34 AM
Woah. A Pokemon getting an ankle-like injury, very suprising. Never happened before.

PANCAKE
23rd December 2006, 3:05 AM
I have to agree with everyone who said the animation was top-notch! The nice little touches from Mukkubird's bandage ripping when it evolved, or the way Hikari held her Pokedex in that giddly-girly stance. They make a so called "fillerish" episode rewarding and polished.

Loved Team Rocket's trap to catch all the flying Pokemon. I was waiting for it to scrape the poor birds off like a spatula does to frosting in a whipping bowl. Mukkuru's evolution: *yaaaaaawn*. At least Shinji will feel a little left behind about it. Lets see..... AH! Meowth as the sadistic jail-warden. I think his scenes were the better parts of the episode. I only wished he was a lot less Andy Griffin and more Full Metal Jacket. A sock party for Mukkuru was also missing. On a side note, Team Rocket's plans to please the boss reminds me of Spongebob in a way. The guy works for an a-hole and is happier than a pig in crapola flipping burgers for him. Same with JJ&M. They are perfectly happy just for a pat on the head like a obedient puppy.

Jessie in a bikini?! Hells yes. Just be lucky that 4Kids won't be getting to do this script. Long live Pokemon USA on cable television! Also, I wouldn't be able to STAND anymore strawberry milk substitutions for alcohol. I also wasn't aware that robots had, um...*coughdanglypartscough*

Cacnea makes his much needed dusting off. I like the episodes when all of Team Rocket's Pokemon are out and mingling around. But where th' hell was Mime Jr.?? Bah! And Bonsly shooting poor Dustox with psybeam was hilarious. It was like a giant bug zapper cooked him.

Pretty decent episode in my opinion. 8 outta 10 from me.

-Pancake-

HoennMaster
23rd December 2006, 3:22 AM
Jessie in a bikini?! Hells yes. Just be lucky that 4Kids won't be getting to do this script.

4Kids never edited Jessie in a Bikini. They edited James' swimsuit into shorts. I mean becaue what he is wearing is so inappropriate.

Yay for Cacnea and Dustox! Yay for Bonsly taking down Dustox.

Feity
23rd December 2006, 3:29 AM
hmm, strangely, Cacnea WAS in this episode, but Mime Jr wasn't. Even in the motto. Anyone else notice that?

PANCAKE
23rd December 2006, 3:57 AM
4Kids never edited Jessie in a Bikini. They edited James' swimsuit into shorts.

Hmmmmmmm.... Not so much as painting a full swim suit on her. I was aiming more on the play of words they've been granted on Cartoon Network. It would be funny to hear her talk about getting rid of tan lines in those hard to reach places.

Cedric's_Memory
23rd December 2006, 4:03 AM
Yes I enjoyed seeing Sabonea again. And with all the evolution in the air I was surprised that Sabonea didn't evolve into Nokutasu

dannyphantomhott
23rd December 2006, 5:46 AM
Not too bad of an episode, one of my favorites in fact. Like others have said the animation was top notch. I loved the expressions on every one, Meowth was pretty cool here. I liked Team Rockets plan for once, they haven't had a decent plan for a while. Any ways I give it a 10/10.

BattleFranky~40
23rd December 2006, 5:48 AM
they haven't had a decent plan for a while.
The Poketch episode.

Magical Needle Smash
23rd December 2006, 8:15 AM
Yes, the attack that Mukkuru was learning (and later perfected) was Aerial Ace, not anything else. They didn't devote a lot of time to Satoshi trying to teach it, either, so it's not like they were ripping off Swellow's episode.

FlareonJupiter
23rd December 2006, 12:44 PM
4Kids never edited Jessie in a Bikini. They edited James' swimsuit into shorts. I mean becaue what he is wearing is so inappropriate.

Actually, James was seen wearing a "Speedo" in these episodes: "March of the Exeggutor Squad", "Snow Way Out", and "Going, Going Yawn". *drools*

Keep in mind that these are 4Kids episodes. No word on what PUSA will do to James if he wears a "Speedo"...

Pokemaniacneo
23rd December 2006, 12:51 PM
Did you not see Satoshi hit Mukkuru on the head with a pokeball in an earlier episode?

I haven't been able to see D/P episodes apart from the ones on YouTube. XD Where does everyone see these episodes?

Cedric's_Memory
23rd December 2006, 1:47 PM
Yeah it was way to early to teah it Brave Bird. I mean it's the last attack that line learns so learning it as a Mukkuru had a vry slight chance.

PANCAKE
23rd December 2006, 6:57 PM
No word on what PUSA will do to James if he wears a "Speedo"...

He will be sun bathing in the buff enjoying his orange smoothy! :cool:

Geodude
23rd December 2006, 7:44 PM
http://www.geoscreens.com/teamrocket/dp013relaxing.jpg

So who else found James' choice of swimwear rather disturbing?

Pokemaniacneo
23rd December 2006, 7:45 PM
Let's just say it's not the worst swim wear i've seen him in. -is obvious-

BattleFranky~40
23rd December 2006, 8:39 PM
So who else found James' choice of swimwear rather disturbing?

I found it rather sexy.

Crystal Clair
23rd December 2006, 11:04 PM
That filler girl looks familiar. She looks kind of like Bugsy and, if you flip her picture horizontally, well
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5074/omgsameexacthairdooen7.png
Was I the only one who noticed this?
btw, that's the judge from Azami/Lucy's battle.

Korobooshi Kojiro
23rd December 2006, 11:08 PM
I liked the little dance Masukippa was doing at one part, and making a "suki" "suki" noise. XD

BattleFranky~40
23rd December 2006, 11:09 PM
That filler girl looks familiar. She looks kind of like Bugsy and, if you flip her picture horizontally, well
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5074/omgsameexacthairdooen7.png
Was I the only one who noticed this?
btw, that's the judge from Azami/Lucy's battle.

I don't see the resemblence.

CyberCubed
23rd December 2006, 11:10 PM
I love the fact that Jessie has an "R" on the *** of her swimsuit.

Kinky.

BattleFranky~40
23rd December 2006, 11:11 PM
I love the fact that Jessie has an "R" on the *** of her swimsuit.

Kinky.

The R in the crotch area of James' speedo is much more erotic.

Crystal Clair
24th December 2006, 1:34 AM
I don't see the resemblence.
You dont?!
Look at the lines of their hair. It's exactly the same. almost every single detail
O_O

RageKaiser
24th December 2006, 10:40 PM
I just saw this episode, and I have to say, It was probably one of the best i've seen, It definetly goes on my top 3 list, I have yet to see the Takeshi episode, But I'm sure it wont be nearly as good as this one.

The only complain I have is the name Mukkubird, But thats not the episodes fault

a 10/10 IMO

uber gon
25th December 2006, 7:32 AM
So now Aerial Ace gets revamped in this episode? Darn, and I had high hopes on Brave Bird.

Geodude
25th December 2006, 12:45 PM
Revamped? No, I thought it was the same as before. Where'd you get that idea from?

Korobooshi Kojiro
25th December 2006, 12:46 PM
I always expected different species of Pokemon too have slightly varying attacks anyway. The only difference was Mukkuru spun around, unlike Swellow who flew directly at it.

Caseydia
27th December 2006, 5:42 AM
It wasn´t expected Mukuru´s evolution, but I enjoyed the episode. But Mukubird is a flying type; How can Ash train a flying Pokemon for a Rock Gym?

Did you remember about the battle with Roxanne?That was something else so I wouldn't be so suprised if he did use it. I never get tired of Ash's type disadvantage battles. They always come out so sweet.

Geodude
27th December 2006, 12:28 PM
He doesn't know it's a Rock Gym.

GreatLiver
27th December 2006, 6:12 PM
Ash isnt' using Mukkubird in the gym battle anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Dax
27th December 2006, 9:57 PM
I think the episode was good but the best stuff for me was actually finding Mukkuru's personality. He was awesome as a leader in the episode and that can actually prove that he is a good Pokemon in the team. I don't know if he learned Aerial Ace or not but he was cool.

Mukkuru actually got screentime more than Naetoru but the lack of personality is the one that was affecting him. Seriously, I miss Naetoru and I'm glad he's going to use him in the gym.

Anyway, can Mukubird become a better version of Swellow? Becasue he has a personality, Swellow had a lot of battle focus but no personality.

The early evolution for me means more developement for Mukubird to evolve him into Mukuhawk.Who knows?

GreatLiver
27th December 2006, 11:28 PM
I don't know if he learned Aerial Ace or not but he was cool.

Yeah it learned Aerial Ace

Geodude
28th December 2006, 12:07 AM
subamegaeshi = Aerial Ace

Listen for it.

Pika Hikari KT
28th December 2006, 1:01 AM
What's surprising is that as Mukull was learning the attack at the start of the episode, it was using the same bullseye practice Swellow had when it learned Aerial Ace. Continuity!:D

CyberCubed
28th December 2006, 2:15 AM
What's surprising is that as Mukull was learning the attack at the start of the episode, it was using the same bullseye practice Swellow had when it learned Aerial Ace. Continuity!:D

It's a shame that we can get continuity like Swellow's training method from AG and Marina in the Poketch episode, yet there still has not been one mention about May to Hikari. Lame.

Geodude
28th December 2006, 3:43 AM
yet there still has not been one mention about May to Hikari

...that we know of. We've been through this already.

uber gon
28th December 2006, 5:18 AM
At least the injuries were different.

dannyphantomhott
29th December 2006, 6:07 AM
It's a shame that we can get continuity like Swellow's training method from AG and Marina in the Poketch episode, yet there still has not been one mention about May to Hikari. Lame.

Maybe there some how embaresed to mention May's name to Hikari.
Any ways on topic, this was one of my favorite D/P episodes to date.

CyberCubed
29th December 2006, 6:33 AM
Maybe there some how embaresed to mention May's name to Hikari.

And why would that be?

lolol.

No.

Mythic Mist
29th December 2006, 6:39 AM
They probably don't wanna take away Hikari's thunder by mentioning a past coordinator.

uber gon
29th December 2006, 7:02 AM
You know, Swellow suffered from actual head damage with his Aerial Ace training, whereas Mukubird only suffered a hurt leg.

Korobooshi Kojiro
29th December 2006, 3:03 PM
Well, Mukkuru didn't ran his head into the ground.

Anyway, I hope the Mukku's family affinity for a bit of self-damaging attacks comes into play.

uber gon
30th December 2006, 3:31 AM
Yeadh, so then we can all call him the first emo pokémon.

Knight_Ram
7th January 2007, 2:43 AM
Nice to see an evolution in the series so soon! Really good. Hopefully it becomes a Muruhawk before the 7th gym.

CyberCubed
11th January 2007, 12:10 AM
It probably will. I imagine it'll evolve again between the 5th and 6th Gym.

Dax
13th January 2007, 2:00 PM
Yeah I do too but he's not going to be good in the ice type gym, whatever they don't care about types anymore

FlameTrainer
19th January 2007, 10:01 PM
Well, if i'm not mistaking, the Ice gym leader has a Yukikaburi and Yukinooh in the games, so probably as well in the anime. They are part Grass, so Mukkubird might make a chance.

Pacman
23rd January 2007, 8:04 PM
I can't beileve Mukkuru evolve so fast.

Dax
14th February 2007, 2:44 AM
Is a strategy to make him useful and to give Ash a Mukkuhawk. At least Starly was better than Taillow.

CyberCubed
14th February 2007, 2:48 AM
We saw Starly for like two episodes, how does that make it better than Taillow?

Dax
14th February 2007, 2:51 AM
Let's say even, both sucked, both were useless

Korobooshi Kojiro
14th February 2007, 2:52 AM
Taillow was shown to be pretty damn powerful, it just didn't do anything.

Starly (I love typing that!) was cute, and had slightly more personality...but didn;t show any noticeable strength.

Ryano Ra
14th February 2007, 4:19 AM
Agreed.

Starly needed to evolve; the poor thing needs to showcase its potential at whooping some Pokemon butt. You just can't have a tiny bird that is only used instrumentally; it has power, too. ;_; I particularly loved the early evolution, it was surprisingly refreshing for the reason. Although, I will say that I am not fond of the fact that Ash has two normal-types, but I am hoping they will challenge his power as a trainer and give him that new dragon-type. That would be amazing...Ash to have a Gaburaisu. ;_; Not very possible, but the chance is still there. But anways, I'm proud of that Starly.

OMG, I love typing Starly, too. It just rolls off of my fingers or something. >.>;

flyboy1308
14th February 2007, 5:33 AM
Starly Starly starly. So much fun!

uber gon
14th February 2007, 7:33 AM
Starly Starly starly. So much fun!

Imagine what the dub episode could be.

Anyway, let's hope we get to see In-Fight soon.

Dax
15th February 2007, 1:45 AM
For me it was absolutely needed to evolve Starly (it is fun to type it). When I definitely like Starly better than Taillow but I don't like Swellow better than Mukkubird. Starly entertained me more because he was cuter and had more personality.

CyberCubed
15th February 2007, 2:46 AM
I think it would have been nice to see Starly for a bit more though. It was really cute, could have used a few more eps before it evolved.

flyboy1308
15th February 2007, 3:24 AM
Yeah, Starly coulda milked its cuteness for it's worth.
But noooooooo. Power is everything...

PokeDouglas
16th February 2007, 4:28 PM
I think Starly evolved way too early. Both Starly's and Bonsly's evolutions don't make sense!

WaterDragon trainer
26th June 2007, 3:51 AM
This episode was good. This was Brock’s weirdest flirting moment ever IMO. Meowth’s Boss Fantasy was pretty funny this time around. Just a minor detail, but I thought it was kind of weird how Starly was the only Sinnoh pokemon (I mean there wasn’t even so much as a previously seen pokemon like Chatot). I found it pretty funny when Meowth was hypnotized into helping the other pokemon escape. It was cool to see Bonsly learn Mimic. It was cool to see Starly evolve into Staravia.

R_N
26th June 2007, 7:51 AM
So...twas a good episode with great animation.
And, we now know how to properly address Muku.BIRD. Starlllllllavia! With the 'l's being rolled 'r's.
Too bad Starly evolved JUST as we get a glimpse of some personality...

ALso, waht the crap was with teh filler girl having a British accent?

EternalSmasherSceptile
26th June 2007, 8:16 AM
I think Starly evolved way too early.

Ditto.
I like the way Staravia sounds for some reason, sounds so...unique for a pokemon.

Oh, and if Starly didn't evolve, there could('ve) been a dub title called "wish upon a Starly"
(I just thought that up a while ago.) :P

ShinyManafi
26th June 2007, 8:20 AM
Noooo, Starly evolved. ;-;

He evolved way too early...>_>, and lol at Meowth in this episode.

Surreal
26th June 2007, 8:26 AM
I thought this episode was alright. It kind of got boring for me and I lost intrest. I wish Starly did more.

Pika Hikari KT
26th June 2007, 9:36 AM
I think Starly evolved way too early.
It evolves at level 14, so it makes sense that Staravia would debut as Ash's and not as a wild within the first 20 episodes.

And what's-her-name had a weirder British accent than Lily.O_o

EternalSmasherSceptile
26th June 2007, 9:46 AM
It evolves at level 14, so it makes sense that Staravia would debut as Ash's and not as a wild within the first 20 episodes.

And what's-her-name had a weirder British accent than Lily.O_o

Levels don't really exist in the anime. I think pokemon sometimes evolve on their own will, or when they has enough strength to do so.

Treecko evolves 2 levels after Starly, yet Ash's Treecko evolved into Grovyle 59 episodes after it's capture, It participated in many battles, and it probobaly had a lot of experence before it got caught, so he might've evolved by his own choice.

Cupil
26th June 2007, 10:32 AM
Starly looked so cute when it was having its leg tended to. I also liked how it took up the role of leader while all the other bird pokemon were moping.

There's something about Staravia's voice that I love. I laughed when I first heard it, it sounds so highbrow.

scissorX
26th June 2007, 12:42 PM
My favourite Sinnoh episode to date, including the ones that have aired in Japan.

I think that, after hearing Staravias dub voice, I like it twice as much. And that is saying something considering its been my favourite Pokémon on Ash's team since it was caught as a Starly way back when the Jap episode aired.

I liked seeing a whole episode based around Starly/Staravia, simply because hes awesome (I'm refering to it as a he because he has a larger marking on his forehead). And it really showed just how powerful the lil' brain damamged bird is, as well as its skills as a leader.

But I think Ash summed it up 'We've got a Staravia on the team now, get ready for some big wins!'. Or something like that.

Also it was quite funny how Bonsly all of a sudden learnt Mimic and how it gazed at Staravia as it evolved. What could this mean! Oh those writers are so subtle and sneaky!

Wynaut?
26th June 2007, 1:34 PM
ALso, waht the crap was with teh filler girl having a British accent?
What's wrong with that? >_> We have to put up with American accents all the time. I thought it made a nice change. Typical they made her sound as posh as hell too.

I liked this episode, Staravia's dub voice is a nice change. The one thing I didn't get was how Seviper was able to climb the ladder. :p It's nice to see Dustox getting a bit more screen time lately too. I'm guessing Bonsly evolves soonish, what with it learning Mimic?

I'm gonna start skipping the in medias res bit at the start of each episode, I think.

Medea
26th June 2007, 2:50 PM
Well, seeing as Starly has two evolutions, it's only necessary that it evolved early in the series, or what I've noticed with the other flying pokemon Ash has gotten throughout the series.

Anyways, I didn't really enjoy this episode. Just boring. The only thing that was worth watching was Meowth's lines occassionally got me laughing. And there were a couple of times where I thought this was Prison Break (Pokemon style). Couldn't resist!

But other than that, lost interest!

Gravy
26th June 2007, 3:48 PM
Muku.BIRD’s voice >>>>>>>>>>> Staravia‘s voice.

Yeah, that’s all the opinion I plan on contributing here.

uncutpokemon
26th June 2007, 6:27 PM
ALso, what the crap was with teh filler girl having a British accent?

i thought it sounded more like an Australian accent to me, and either way i thought it was rather fitting for her.

Korobooshi Kojiro
26th June 2007, 6:54 PM
Staravia's voice sounded like...dare I say? A DRAMA QUEEN!

Blaziryu
26th June 2007, 6:56 PM
I thought that this episode was alright. This episode makes me wonder about Ash's Pidgeot. Ash is pretty stupid for releasing a PKMN that he can fly on. TR were stupid in this episode. If they weren't so greedy, they would've gotten away with a few Flying-type PKMN.

Manly Blissey
26th June 2007, 10:15 PM
I thought that this episode was alright. This episode makes me wonder about Ash's Pidgeot. Ash is pretty stupid for releasing a PKMN that he can fly on. TR were stupid in this episode. If they weren't so greedy, they would've gotten away with a few Flying-type PKMN.

Very true. TR could've got some flying PKMN easy..

Manly Blissey
26th June 2007, 10:17 PM
i thought it sounded more like an Australian accent to me, and either way i thought it was rather fitting for her.

Ya, it was Austrailian.

Manly Blissey
26th June 2007, 10:19 PM

Ya, it was Austrailian.

Dax
26th June 2007, 11:38 PM
Loved it. The animation was awesome and there were so much cool details.

Isn't it ironic that Ash said We have a Staravia, now we are going to get a lot of wins. Ash practically doesn't use the pokemon, only two battles if I remember.

Anyway, Staravia's voice is weird. I don't know how to feel about it. I like it but not as much as MUKU!!.

Anyway, one of my favorites.

Griff4815
26th June 2007, 11:38 PM
Levels don't really exist in the anime. I think pokemon sometimes evolve on their own will, or when they has enough strength to do so.

Treecko evolves 2 levels after Starly, yet Ash's Treecko evolved into Grovyle 59 episodes after it's capture, It participated in many battles, and it probobaly had a lot of experence before it got caught, so he might've evolved by his own choice.

I think the writers wanted to get the ball rolling with Starly. Plus, Grovyle was a very popular pokemon(believe me ;) ), so the writers probably wanted to keep him 2nd stage for as long as possible before evolving to Sceptile (which had not as many fans...look at elyvorg :p ).

starterlover1
26th June 2007, 11:48 PM
I think Starly evolved way too early. Both Starly's and Bonsly's evolutions don't make sense!

How does Bonsly's evolution not make sense? Bonsly evolves upon learning Mimic, which it did in this episode. Aside from that, Brock has had it for some time.

Salamence flame 12
27th June 2007, 12:22 AM
I thought the episode was alright, but not great. I have a Staravia on Diamond version. ;25;

Reign G
27th June 2007, 12:33 AM
Pretty good episode. I'm not too keen on Staravia's voice, though. I was hoping for something similar to Starly's. And Brock's arms seemed exceptionally skinny this episode. Who was the animator?

Teh Goodzors:
-We see some personality from Starly! Ash's flying type has personality!
-Meowth getting hypnotised by Hoothoot=Priceless!
-Bonsly finally learns Mimic! Next stop, Sudowoodo!
-TR had a really good plan for once. It reminded me of "Bye Bye Butterfree" though. Must be the big net.
-CACNEA'S BACK!!!!

Teh Badzors:
-Staravia's voice. 'Nuff said.
-I'm glad they tried giving someone a different accent than American, but it wasn't that good. It sounded like a bad mixing of an Australian and British accents being done by an American...
-Bugsy/Gardenia mix! GAAH!

R_N
27th June 2007, 7:11 AM
What's wrong with that? >_> We have to put up with American accents all the time. I thought it made a nice change. Typical they made her sound as posh as hell too.

I liked this episode, Staravia's dub voice is a nice change. The one thing I didn't get was how Seviper was able to climb the ladder. :p It's nice to see Dustox getting a bit more screen time lately too. I'm guessing Bonsly evolves soonish, what with it learning Mimic?

I'm gonna start skipping the in medias res bit at the start of each episode, I think.

I'm sorry, let me try that again..."Why did she have such a crappy British accent?"
IT just sounded so...off...
Like you could really tell the person doing it was someone tryign to imitate a British accent. Sorry to have insulted you.

Ashy Boy
27th June 2007, 11:21 AM
That filler girl had an obvious British accent which was very strong.

BTW, Team Rocket was way too cocky when they battled against Brock's Bonsly.

diamondman
27th June 2007, 5:04 PM
I'm guessing Bonsly evolves soonish, what with it learning Mimic.

it evolves the next episode.

Dax
27th June 2007, 8:57 PM
So Ash's Staravia is Australian? Man, that bird is awesome!

Wynaut?
27th June 2007, 9:08 PM
No, the filler girl Rosemay had an Australian/crap British accent.

uber gon
28th June 2007, 10:53 AM
Staravia's voice sounded like...dare I say? A DRAMA QUEEN!

Strange when you consider that Staravia could be a male.

Pearl's Perap
4th July 2007, 3:21 AM
Great episode, one of my favourites so far, mainly due to the whole horde of bird-type pokémon and the evolution of Starly.

One thing that annoyed me was that bird watchers voice, I hate it when people try to put accents on and either fail miserably or seemingly mock the country of origin, if you get my meaning, her voice was horrendous...

And on the topic of voices, Staravia's voice, well, I actually love it, I didn't expect it to be like that and that is probably why I like it so much.

Entertaining episode all round really, especially the hypnotised Meowth part, that bit had me laughing, I must admit...

9.5/10

Anyone 4 Buttons?
5th July 2007, 4:45 PM
I shall purely reiterate what most people have been saying about this episode, with all it's pros and cons etc. The bird hordes were missing some Noctowl definitely, and I liked the computer animated 'tunnel run', even if it did look like it was taken from the 8th movie...
Also, where was Mime Jr. in TR's motto recount?

Here's hoping 'Rosemay' doesn't make another appearance...

RyuKage
9th July 2007, 1:06 PM
aswome i havnt watched the episodes in a while because they started to get off topic Now its so much better!

Rapiido
10th July 2007, 7:24 PM
I thought it was a pretty good episode I didn't like Rose"B"ay's voice though (it's a B not M)... sounding like a cheap imitation.

I'm not a huge fan of Staravia's voice. I hate how it says it's full name every time instead of "Star Star Viaaaaaa" or what most Pokemon do.

npdargy312
18th July 2007, 9:54 AM
It seemed a bit early for an evolution, but w/e

Rebeccag
2nd November 2007, 12:50 AM
i wasnt so keen on the girl she was kinda annoying but it was good to see an evolution i felt sorry for starly though when it banged into the tree and had to have its leg bandged up by Brock

hello moto
24th March 2008, 7:53 AM
It was a good episode, love the evolution and Staravia, but i don't like it's voice at all, sounds like an opera singer.

Alf Tuggy
26th March 2008, 8:41 PM
I liked the episode,but I hated that they showed Starly evolving in the beginning

bhrettzerda053
27th March 2008, 1:55 AM
I didn't know why Ash's Starly evolved but I might not know it Staravia's cry might be the difference to the other Starly. Like what the episode says, A Staravia is Born!

uber gon
27th March 2008, 5:10 AM
I thought it was a pretty good episode I didn't like Rose"B"ay's voice though (it's a B not M)... sounding like a cheap imitation.

I'm not a huge fan of Staravia's voice. I hate how it says it's full name every time instead of "Star Star Viaaaaaa" or what most Pokemon do.

Yeah, the voice was annoying.

latios reborn
27th March 2008, 5:15 AM
I still haven't seen this episode I can't even find it on youtube anyone know where else I could have the slightest chance to see it?

wobbanut
22nd August 2008, 3:38 AM
I think the bird trap was one of the smarter devices that Team Rocket has invented. Putting it in a canyon that bird pokemon frequently fly through at a corner where they can't stop in enough time was very smart. I also like the hoothoot hypnotizing Meowth into letting them escape, it was hilarious. :) Plus, seeing Jessie and James in their swimsuits was a neat treat (LOL when they told Meowth they were going to do "research", then strip off their clothes).

I also like the pokemon character development in this episode, with Starly evolving (love its voice) and Bonsly learning mimic, setting the stage for its evolution in the next episode.

japrzero
24th August 2008, 4:55 AM
i have a staravia lvl 80 and staraptor lvl 100

(s.i.e)
11th March 2009, 12:48 PM
it's not one of the best episodes but it's still entertaining, 7/10.

Palamon
13th March 2009, 11:48 PM
This one was one of my favorites.
Why: Starly evolved so that makes it stronger and I love Staravia' dub voice.
I also thought the trap where all birds fell in made the episode better then any stealing plan team rocket has tried.
And all those Bird Pokemon made it a good episode to watch.
Also the dub's name makes more scene and I like it better.
The sub name is kind of stupid just like most sub episode names.
I would give it 4 stars if I was a rater.

milenadrg
14th March 2009, 5:45 PM
Episode was exellent and I loved to see Starly having main role and evoloving(maybe it was too early for it to evolove, but whatever). Staravia's voice was extra in both English and Japanesse dubs...

Littlemyuu
21st March 2009, 12:51 PM
Nice episode, cool to see that Starly evolved...Staravia is cool

S.Suikun
17th May 2009, 6:34 PM
Finally unpacked. You see, the reason I make these semi-blog snippets at the beginning of these suckers is so that I don't have to create an entire blog website like WPM.

This episode is a true landmark in Pokemon history, and one far bigger than either Mudkip's or Seaking's debuts. It is, of course, the birth of Muku.BIRD. Oh, good times, good times. In the span of 12 episodes, it had grown from retardified chickling to a full-grown BIRD of heavenly proportions. That said, this episode actually had substance besides the evolution. The general plot was ordinary (TR nets a band of wild Pokemon, Satoshi's Pokemon saves the day), but was executed nicely. Flying Pokemon aren't used as victims very often and I give TR credit for a fairly ellaborate scheme (although you have to believe some time gap exists for these schemes to unfold, especially with an entire bird Pokemon population vanishing just from TR).

Let's face it - Mukkuru had hardly been explored before this episode. It had one TR-search mission and that's it. Giving it not only a leadership personality but really having it flesh out (evolution included) worked wonders for the thing. I really like the whole bird Pokemon frenzy before Mukkuru's evolution, and Hoothoot & Nyasu was great for a few laughs. As for annoyances? The COTD was dry and did the episode no favors, the overall plot was still ordinary in spite of being enjoyable, and I probably would have appreciated some more Mukkuru development before this episode. Still a worthy coronation for the bird, however.

B

Rainbowdashtheawesome
23rd July 2009, 6:48 PM
The only thing that would have made this episode better is if they hadn't made it blatently obvious that Starly was going to evolve. Usually they prefer to surprise us with these evolutions, even if we already know that the pokemon will evolve soon. It always adds more excitement in my mind when they have surprise evolutions like when Chimchar and Swinub evolved.

Melloyu
23rd July 2009, 6:54 PM
Didn't liked the episode, was a little bit normal . I normally like the evolution of a pokemon, but this was just so boring to watch >_>

catzisconfus
18th August 2009, 6:45 PM
i likes seeing all the birds together, 9/10 gets this episode, i liked the trap of team rocket ^^

danparker
15th September 2009, 4:56 AM
I watched this episode 2 years ago. It was an interesting episode. And I liked the female character in this episode. She was okay with an accent.

Surfer_Dude
27th September 2009, 8:04 AM
Yes starly evolved!!! hooray!!!
Awesome episode, i have always loved episodes when pokemon evolve :)

Willow's Tara
10th November 2009, 4:49 AM
What accent was that anyway? British? Australia? Texan? I am never good at knowing what accents it is unless it's obivous.

Anyway I like this episode since I like flying Pokemon (Pidgeot, Swellow, Staraptor, Noctowl, Altaria, Articuno for example), interesting to see all the different type of flying Pokemon. Interesting that Starly evovled into Staravia.

Lorde
10th November 2009, 4:52 AM
What accent was that anyway? British? Australia? Texan? I am never good at knowing what accents it is unless it's obivous.

I honestly don't know either; all I know is that it was completely unnecessary. Ths episode was an ok episode by early Sinnoh's standards. I was sad that Starly evolved so soon first of all. I like Starly but it didn't get too many big moments until it evolved into a Staravia in this episode. He was cuter in that first stage. I'm loving Team Rocket's scheme though, since it was working great. 6/10.

Shadow XD001
4th December 2009, 12:21 AM
Starly's evolution was nice, and it also gave Bonsly the inspiration to evolve in the next episode. Starly's evolution seemed kinda short, but we all know Staravias evolution took a long time.

Ash-kid
16th December 2009, 2:07 PM
Bonsly's new move was good, i loved it.

Staravia was much faster then Starly. and much more stronger also.

6.5/10.

KGB13
15th January 2010, 4:55 AM
This was one of the few episodes where TR actually had a solid plan that worked for capturing pokemon, but like always, it never ends good. I wasn't expecting Starly to evolve so soon, but I'm glad it did. Overall it was good episode.

JohnLee
19th January 2010, 9:09 PM
This was one of the few episodes where TR actually had a solid plan that worked for capturing pokemon, but like always, it never ends good. I wasn't expecting Starly to evolve so soon, but I'm glad it did. Overall it was good episode.

I think that all of TR's plans have the potential of working, it's just the the gang gets involved and ruins their plans. I'm glad that Starly evolved fast. He finally has a three-stage bird pokemon again!

saar
8th July 2010, 11:16 AM
One of the best episodes with Flying pokemon I have ever seen.
Staravia's speed has improved and it became much stronger.:)

~Platinum~
22nd July 2010, 12:24 AM
I hate how the writers are trying to cram everything important into the first few episodes of the saga. It's going to give us so many fillers later on. Now onto the positive part of the post.
This was a rather good episode. Starly has hardly gotten any screentime since it was captured and it looked very cute in this episode, even with the bandage on it's leg. TR actually had a fairly impressive and well though out plan for once. And some moments were quite comical too. It was funny how Hoothoot hypnotized Meowth and then all the bird pokemon made him help out with their jail break. I also found it funny how Starly and Hoothoot were ordering all the pokemon around during the jail break, it made me think that Starly was the leader and Hoothoot was the right-hand man.
They really tried to pack every bird pokemon into this episode. It was funny how they all flew out of that hole in the ground. Organized chaos like this is always a good time.
And Bonsly learns Mimic showing that it will evolve very soon. Starly/Staravia learned Aerial Ace, which is good because Aerial Ace is a good STAB attack for a newly evolved, stronger Staravia.
A good episode, but I think that they could have showed Starly a little more before it evolved.

Painkiller2001
7th November 2010, 11:40 PM
We are officially blessed with the wonders that is Staravia!

Here's to all the future brain-damaged, crazy antics Staravia will bestow us with!

Lance The Champ
26th November 2010, 2:57 PM
Team Rocket's bird catcher robot was so funny

G50
27th April 2011, 6:31 AM
This episode was ok... It was cool to see Starly evolve into Staravia. It was very clever for Hoothoot to hypnotize Meowth to let all of the other Pokemon out, Meowth acted and sounded really funny. The capture robot looked very bizarre. Starly was a very good leader leading all of the other Pokemon to escape. It was cool that Bonsly finally learned Mimic.

42/100

Mythicalzoe
20th July 2011, 1:19 AM
The episode was nice

Anyone notice Ash says OH NO when Staravia is evolving im like wtf you should happy

Vipsoccermaster
20th July 2011, 9:49 AM
Ah, this episode. Fine episode, nice to see Starly evolve into Staravia. Hoothoot toying with Meowth was hilarious, and smart.

BurningSociety12345543210
16th June 2012, 9:41 PM
Starly evolved rather quick. I don't mind, because Staravia was pretty funny at times. That Hoothoot was creepy.

Lorde
24th November 2014, 1:06 AM
Brock's face when he met Rosebay was hilarious. All those Flying-type Pokemon getting trapped in Team Rocket's giant net made me cackle; I was simply impressed by their plan this time around. I especially liked Meowth's boss fantasy about Giovanni being carried around via Flying Pokemon, as well as seeing Meowth under Hoothoot's Hypnosis.

Painkiller2001
12th December 2014, 1:40 AM
"We like the look of real wood!"

Pfffffft!

Call me immature, but I chuckled when this was said! :)

Dawn+Serena Fan
12th December 2014, 8:14 PM
This episode was nice. Team Rocket's plan to capture all the flying tops was sure weird imo. It was cool to see Starly evolve into Staravia. 8/10