PDA

View Full Version : Deep Storyline Mangas

Phatkav
25th December 2006, 12:10 AM
What are some mangas that you have read that have deep and excellent storyline?

Even though I haven't read a lot of manga, but I like Death Note. So far I'm on volume 4, but the story is getting interesting and a lot of stuff are happening. I'm pretty sure there mangas with better storylines, but from what I have read, Death Note is great.

BattleFranky~40
25th December 2006, 12:14 AM
Pretty much anything by Urasawa.

Honestly, Death Note isn't as deep or intelligent as they want you to think it is.

HK
25th December 2006, 12:19 AM
What are some mangas that you have read that have deep and excellent storyline?

Even though I haven't read a lot of manga, but I like Death Note. So far I'm on volume 4, but the story is getting interesting and a lot of stuff are happening. I'm pretty sure there mangas with better storylines, but from what I have read, Death Note is great.

Long manga or one-shot manga? There's a few shorter manga that I know of which are equal in depth in terms of serial series.

If you're looking for longer series, than you can't go wrong with Akira, the source material for the not as good yet still quite good movie adaption. Otomo is a visual storyteller, and he has absolute moments of brilliance here there are on a comparable level to his earlier Domu. Both are social commentaries on one subject or another, and both are available in English from Dark Horse.

For fantasy series, you can't go wrong at all with Berserk if you can tolerate gore and sexual content, as well as Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind if you can go with rather heavy and wordy panel works. Each are epics in the truest sense of the word, with Berserk at fourteen volumes released by Dark Horse in English along with thirty-one volumes in Japan, and Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind complete at seven volumes released by Viz (have no idea how many volumes it was compiled into over in Japan).

Lastly, I have a personal fondness for Planetes, which is complete at four volumes in Japan and released as five seperates volume over here in the United States by Tokyopop. It really isn't deep in terms of storylines and isn't really to the criteria that you're asking for, but it's one of the most emotionally profound manga that I've ever read in addition to being a realistic sci-fi work that is possible to occur.

Phatkav
25th December 2006, 12:31 AM
I googled Urasawa just to see what work he has. Anyway, I will look more into his work, but the problem is the place I get my manga from doesn't have any of his work. I will try to look for another way to get any of his work.

Hellkorn: It doesn't matter to me if it's a long series or short one. I looked for Akira. It looks great, but once again it's not avaible in here.
I heard a lot about Berserk. I guess it's really good. I will try to get it in coupel of weeks. As for Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind, I think I read 2 volumes for this series at the public library. They weren't the first one so I didn't understand a lot of things, but it looked amazing.

I will try to look for these titles and see if they are avaible in here. If not then I will try to get them online.

BattleFranky~40
25th December 2006, 12:34 AM
Out of Urasawa's manga, I believe only Monster has been liscensed and released, with 20th Century Boys coming sometime soon.

+Rhapsody+
25th December 2006, 12:34 AM
Along with the above mentioned manga, if you want something emotional, I'd suggest Saikano. Other than that, it depends on what type of "deep" you are referring to.

Honestly, Death Note isn't as deep or intelligent as they want you to think it is.

I was actually fooled for the first half of the series. D: The only reason Death Note could be referred to as deep is because of the plot for the first half, which provides just enough entertainment necessary to get you hooked, but I wouldn't call it deep.

Phatkav
25th December 2006, 12:42 AM
Good thing Saikano is available at my local bookstore.

Anyway, by deep, I mean a complicatd storyline. I don't know how to exactly explain it, but a storyline with twists and being creative.

Off topic: when does Death Note get worse? I'm on volume 4 and I just want to know in advance.

BattleFranky~40
25th December 2006, 12:43 AM
Good thing Saikano is available at my local bookstore.

Anyway, by deep, I mean a complicatd storyline. I don't know how to exactly explain it, but a storyline with twists and being creative.

Off topic: when does Death Note get worse? I'm on volume 4 and I just want to know in advance.

About halfway through Volume 7.

+Rhapsody+
25th December 2006, 12:46 AM
About halfway through Volume 7.

At a certain point in volume 7, to be more exact.

BattleFranky~40
25th December 2006, 12:49 AM
At a certain point in volume 7, to be more exact.

When a certain even happens in Volume 7, to be even more exact.

+Rhapsody+
25th December 2006, 12:51 AM
When a certain even happens in Volume 7, to be even more exact.

A certain event related to certain character whom I will not mention, to be even more exact than that.

Phatkav
25th December 2006, 12:56 AM
Damn it. Only three more volumes and the series will get crappier. Good thing I'm gonna start reading Blame, Hellsing and Berserk.

Catalyst
25th December 2006, 12:59 AM
Beserk is pretty awesome, except that I stopped reading it mid-way into volume 7. ;_;

BattleFranky~40
25th December 2006, 1:04 AM
Beserk is pretty awesome, expect that I stopped reading it mid-way into volume 7. ;_;

Start reading it again!

Catalyst
25th December 2006, 1:06 AM
I was planning to soon, maybe after Christmas day, it's certainly different to the crap I usually read and far superior too. =O

HK
25th December 2006, 1:10 AM
Hellkorn: It doesn't matter to me if it's a long series or short one.

There's a few more that I'd like to recommend now, then.

The two collection of Tatsumi's stories, The Push Man and Other Stories and Abandon the Old in Tokyo are, as you might suspect, a pair of one-shot anthologies. While Abandon the Old in Tokyo is by far better than The Push Man and Other Stories because Tatsumi not only matured as a storyteller but also was able to put out my pages per story, both are above and beyond most of what is printed out in English for manga. There is a lot of social commentary and subtle workings in both that I'd fully recommend.

Of course, there can't be a recommendation thread of great manga without Osamu Tezuka being mentioned. Adolf is too ambitious for its own good, but its an excellent historical piece with a bit of a contrived yet very engrossing thriller-esque work. Ode to Kirihito is a brilliant piece that deals with his common theme of what it means to be a human but still powerfully conveyed. Buddha is, in my opinion, his most powerful and consistant work visually, even though I've only read four of the eight volumes in the series (I'm waiting on the paperback trades of the series). Lastly, Phoenix is something I'm still catching up on, but I can say that it is his most varied of his work in both terms of content and quality.

As for other works, Eden: It's an Endless World! and Eternal Sabbath (commonly referred to as ES) are two of the better sci-fi series releases right now, the former of which is put out by Dark Horse and the latter of which is put out by Del Rey. Though, it should be noted that Eden is more of a political and philosophical while Eternal Sabbath is a psychological thriller.

As for other works talked about in this thread, Saikano is a very solid romantic tragedy that personally left me very empty and even somewhat depressed after finishing all seven volumes, though that's a testament to how powerful. Monster is another psychological thriller that is one of the best manga put out right now in English, and is a favorite of mine.

I will try to look for these titles and see if they are avaible in here. If not then I will try to get them online.

Try Amazon or The Right Stuf Intertional for orders.

Phatkav
25th December 2006, 1:29 AM
Hellkorn, I had to google all of these titles you named. I haven't heard about all of these titles before, but since you recommended then they must be good. The great thing is that they all available in my local bookstore. I'm going to buy titles like Ode to Kirihito, The Push Man and Other Stories, and Abandon the Old in Tokyo since I believe they are one-shot mangas.

That Scary Clefairy
25th December 2006, 4:23 AM
want some? I'll give some:
Old Boy- about revenge in a more serious and secretive way. developemnet is good so far.

Me and the Devil Blues- OMFG after downloading this(yes have to download it, not out in US yet) this tops 99% of the manga out there. About a black man in the 1920's south trying to find his Blues and become good at it. Character developement, and this is one chapter, beats out so many manga i've seen.

Crying Freedmen

Trigun Maximum- Not Deep and realistic like Eden but it does has it's more serious and complex events then you would think.

Apple Seed- coming soon by DH.

Tanpenshu- by same guy who does Eden.

Blade of Immortal

Vagabond

MPD Psycho
Levithan- both by same guy. psychololgical thrillers

Koroshiya Ichi

Freesia

some more.