PDA

View Full Version : OK, What is Better? Hikaru no GO or Death Note?

Shindou-kun
22nd January 2007, 1:05 AM
Hikaru no GO is about a boy who comes into contact with a member of the Fujiwara clan of Heian-Japan that was a GO player to the emperor of Heian(present-day Kyoto) and begins training him in the ways of GO.

Death Note is about an adult high school genius who is granted the Death Note, a mysterious journal that, when a name is written in it, the person whose name it dies, by a shinigami(death god) named Ryuk.

Which one is better? I love GO very much but Death Note is the most intelligent and clever manga I have ever read. Im neutral I guess. ;350;

Takaru
22nd January 2007, 1:06 AM
Death Note by far is a better manga its dark and cool insted of a silly game.

Shindou-kun
22nd January 2007, 1:09 AM
Ok 1.) you have just insulted every person in the world that plays GO with a love for the game, including me. 2.) GO is by far a silly game. It is the 2nd most popular game in the world, Chess being 1st, and anyone who dearly plays it would not like it being called silly. 3.) you know nothing about GO so don't say anything about the game if you are ignorant about it;350;

Akaba
22nd January 2007, 1:17 AM
Two of my favorite manga ever.

I can answer this truthfully.

Hikaru no Go.

I've read it five teams; each time it seems new, interesting and a great story of development. Death Note is great; Part II DID LACK, but it was still great for me. But Hikaru no Go is something that doesn't lack at ANY PART except the last chapter because it was rushed.

Shindou-kun
22nd January 2007, 1:25 AM
Two of my favorite manga ever.

I can answer this truthfully.

Hikaru no Go.

I've read it five teams; each time it seems new, interesting and a great story of development. Death Note is great; Part II DID LACK, but it was still great for me. But Hikaru no Go is something that doesn't lack at ANY PART except the last chapter because it was rushed.yea Hikaru no GO the anime rox my sox just as much as teh manga! ^w^;350;

Akaba
22nd January 2007, 1:27 AM
The anime isn't that good.

But the manga is amazing.

But Death Note is probably my #2 favorite manga or #3 after Beck.

It's still awesome.

Shindou-kun
22nd January 2007, 1:31 AM
well the best episode of the HnG anime was episode 75(finale): That Same Old Smile

Akaba
22nd January 2007, 1:32 AM
well the best episode of the HnG anime was episode 75(finale): That Same Old Smile

Did you even finish the manga?

The anime probably ended better, but I am sure as hell loved the final manga arc.

The last chapter just sucked.

Korobooshi Kojiro
22nd January 2007, 1:39 AM
Why are these two very different mangas being compared?

Now, for mangas about people playing games with spirits, only ONE true winner exists...

Akaba
22nd January 2007, 1:40 AM
Same artist.

:)

...Don't know if he knew that.

Korobooshi Kojiro
22nd January 2007, 1:40 AM
I knew that, but the art style is even slightly different.

Shindou-kun
22nd January 2007, 1:42 AM
well actually in America the manga isn't even halfway ended yet and I didnt really post this because Obata-sama drew them but because theyre my 2 favorite mangas ^3^;350;

Akaba
22nd January 2007, 2:47 AM
Well yeah,

The Hikaru no Go manga gets better.

Death Note manga gets a little worse.

Galatica Phantom
22nd January 2007, 2:48 AM
...For me I like Mystery/Killing soo....

Death Note.

Hikaru No GO is a great manga! I just like killing more.

That Scary Clefairy
22nd January 2007, 2:50 AM
Arabian Lamp Lamp, it is. Obata first manga that I love.

BattleFranky~40
22nd January 2007, 3:19 AM
HnG becomes slightly less awesome in its final arc.

DN goes into a complete downward spiral after Part I.

Mewbiraxys
28th January 2007, 8:46 AM
Ok 1.) you have just insulted every person in the world that plays GO with a love for the game, including me. 2.) GO is by far a silly game. It is the 2nd most popular game in the world, Chess being 1st, and anyone who dearly plays it would not like it being called silly. 3.) you know nothing about GO so don't say anything about the game if you are ignorant about it;350;

As far as i'm concered he was merely expressing his views on the topic YOU made, so what if he says he doesnt like the game? you dont start bashing him just because he liked Death Note better than Hikaru -_-. Plus, his and my and your opinions are practically worthless, its when these opinions are agreed bya large number of people it actually has some value.

On topic, i love Death Note, especially the first part with L, because of Light becoming suspected so fast and theres enough deaths to suit my needs.

Kitsune Winterheart
28th January 2007, 11:00 AM
I like Death Note more, better storyline and so on.

BattleFranky~40
28th January 2007, 11:09 AM
I like Death Note more, better storyline and so on.

The storyline pretty much falls apart in the end.

Unlike Death Note, the majority of Hikaru no Go is fun to read.

Pretty much everything post-handcuffs is fairly boring.

Shindou-kun
31st January 2007, 10:13 PM
I think Death Note is great after Lawliet's death and Nate and Miheal come into the picture.

any Death Note spoilers can be found on here:

www.deathgod.org;350;

BattleFranky~40
31st January 2007, 10:35 PM
Yay for spoilers. Might as well not read DN now.

Anyways, yeah Part II was great. If you enjoy boring badly written pieces of garbage.

Shindou-kun
31st January 2007, 10:41 PM
nyaaaa!;350;

BattleFranky~40
31st January 2007, 10:43 PM
nyaaaa!;350;

Weaboo Explosion!

Shindou-kun
31st January 2007, 10:46 PM
Lawliet = "L"

Miheal = "M"(Mello)

Nate = "N"(Near);350;

BattleFranky~40
31st January 2007, 10:50 PM
Lawliet = "L"

Miheal = "M"(Mello)

Nate = "N"(Near);350;
Yes, I knew that. But thanks for spoiling the TC.

Shindou-kun
31st January 2007, 10:52 PM
=D ur welcome!;350;

BattleFranky~40
31st January 2007, 10:59 PM
Quite.

Also, that sexy Hikaru pic in your sig is too big.

Shindou-kun
31st January 2007, 11:00 PM
then i will take out the picture with go equipment

BattleFranky~40
31st January 2007, 11:02 PM
then i will take out the picture with go equipment

That wouldn't really fix it.

Shindou-kun
31st January 2007, 11:03 PM
=p too bad;350;

Shindou-kun
1st February 2007, 1:49 AM
hello..........?;350;

Akaba
1st February 2007, 1:59 AM
hello..........?;350;

Good Bye?

Seriously, I am teh bigger Hikaru no Fan than you, but still - no reason for huge sig.

Outlawz
1st February 2007, 2:17 AM
Death Note was great, untill Near came in, then things went bad, Hikaru No Go was good all the way thorugh, so yea, HnG.

Shindou-kun
1st February 2007, 9:12 PM
ok no im sorry im the one who's all about HnG sorry >_> and plus im the one planning to turn pro;350;

BattleFranky~40
1st February 2007, 9:18 PM
ok no im sorry im the one who's all about HnG sorry >_> and plus im the one planning to turn pro

You probably will never turn pro. Ever.

Shindou-kun
1st February 2007, 9:22 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. Do you even know how to turn pro?;350;

Akaba
1st February 2007, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. Do you even know how to turn pro?;350;

Do you even know the game?

Seriously,

I am the #1 Hikaru no Go Fan.

I bet you can't even name who is uses the Center Star method to begin the game.

ShinyManafi
1st February 2007, 10:12 PM
I'm kind of in the middle. I can't really decide on this one..

Shindou-kun
1st February 2007, 10:31 PM
#1 What reason would I have for faking an amateur GO ranking? and #2 His name is Yashiro I just forget his last name ^-^;;; and finally #3 Its the Tengen method not "Center Star" method;350;

Hakuryuu
1st February 2007, 10:32 PM
Ah, deciding on these two are impossible.

Hikaru no Go is a wonderful series and I enjoyed it.

On the other hand.. Death Note is just.. awesome. ;;

I pick Death Note. I srsly don't care if part II is blah. XD;

Akaba
1st February 2007, 10:33 PM
#1 What reason would I have for faking an amateur GO ranking? and #2 His name is Yashiro I just forget his last name ^-^;;; and finally #3 Its the Tengen method not "Center Star" method;350;

YOU ARE NO MAN~! YOU KNOW NOTHING!

And true story? I beat the #6 Junior Pro in Japan on the Go Online Network.

He quit after three turns because he had to go.

But I still hold that victory.

Shindou-kun
1st February 2007, 10:35 PM

I pick Death Note. I srsly don't care if part II is blah. XD;Yea I know; I think im neutral;350;

BattleFranky~40
1st February 2007, 10:36 PM

I pick Death Note. I srsly don't care if part II is blah. XD;

So, you don't care if over 1/2 of the manga completely sucks?

Shindou-kun
1st February 2007, 10:36 PM
YOU ARE NO MAN~! YOU KNOW NOTHING!

And true story? I beat the #6 Junior Pro in Japan on the Go Online Network.

He quit after three turns because he had to go.

But I still hold that victory.k.....yay for you? o.O Congrats, I guess.;350;

Shindou-kun
1st February 2007, 10:38 PM
So, you don't care if over 1/2 of the manga completely sucks?Thats your opinion but you don't have to try to impose on him/her.

Oki this was never even a fight so no one won.................;350;

BattleFranky~40
k.....yay for you? o.O Congrats, I guess.;350;

Game. Set. Match. Winner Aka!

Thats your opinion but you don't have to try to impose on him/her.
Yes I do.

Akaba
k.....yay for you? o.O Congrats, I guess.;350;

So in all reality,

Me in you in Go.

And I only know some basics.

So bow to me, Hikaru no Show.

Shindou-kun
1st February 2007, 10:44 PM
So in all reality,

Me in you in Go.

And I only know some basics.

So bow to me, Hikaru no Show.that made no sense since "no" is Japanese for "of"; hence Fujiwara no Sai;Sai of( the )Fujiwara (Clan);350;

Shindou-kun
1st February 2007, 10:46 PM
Frank, quite frankly, you don't.;350;

Akaba
1st February 2007, 10:48 PM
Frank, quite frankly, you don't.;350;

Have you ever beaten a Japanese Ranker?

No.

You haven't.

And I am not even going on a sour dream like that.

And really, when was the last time America has given crap about Go?

Becoming a Go Master in America is like becoming a hockey player in frickin' Africa.

Shindou-kun
1st February 2007, 10:51 PM
Have you ever beaten a Japanese Ranker?

No.

You haven't.

And I am not even going on a sour dream like that.

And really, when was the last time America has given crap about Go?

Becoming a Go Master in America is like becoming a hockey player in frickin' Africa.You won by a fluke which isn't something to gloat about and I'm not in it for the fame, I'm in it for the sport and entertainment.;350;

Akaba
1st February 2007, 10:52 PM
You won by a fluke which isn't something to gloat about and I'm not in it for the fame, I'm in it for the sport and entertainment.;350;

Yes, still.

No way your job in America could be Go player.

That's like, eh - a 'Hahahahahaahaha'.

The chances are %0000000000000000000001 that you would even get into a chance to become a pro.

Because America and Go doesn't mix in real life.

BattleFranky~40
1st February 2007, 10:53 PM
You won by a fluke which isn't something to gloat about and I'm not in it for the fame, I'm in it for the sport and entertainment.;350;

The great sport of moving little white pieces around on a weird board. Truly the American Dream.

Shindou-kun
1st February 2007, 10:56 PM
The great sport of moving little white pieces around on a weird board. Truly the American Dream.i'm sorry but with that explaination I can deduce that you are probably some lazy person who has nothing to do with their life and that you just watch the days go by;350;

BattleFranky~40
1st February 2007, 10:57 PM
i'm sorry but with that explaination I can deduce that you are probably some lazy person who has nothing to do with their life and that you just watch the days go by;350;

And I can deduce that you're some weaboo loser who will never accomplish his dream.

Akaba
1st February 2007, 10:57 PM
i'm sorry but with that explaination I can deduce that you are probably some lazy person who has nothing to do with their life and that you just watch the days go by;350;

Sorry, I love Go, but I am damn sure typing on the forums is more work than placing stones on a board for hours while eating and drinking tea, ect.

Shindou-kun
1st February 2007, 10:59 PM
Sorry, I love Go, but I am damn sure typing on the forums is more work than placing stones on a board for hours while eating and drinking tea, ect.you probably wouldn't know since you seem not too into the game and rather ignorant about it;350;

BattleFranky~40
1st February 2007, 10:59 PM
Sorry, I love Go, but I am damn sure typing on the forums is more work than placing stones on a board for hours while eating and drinking tea, ect.

But Go requires hotblooded stone placement.

Akaba
1st February 2007, 11:02 PM
you probably wouldn't know since you seem not too into the game and rather ignorant about it;350;

And you do?

Tell me, what is going to get you to your dream?

And how is Go hard work?

Judai-and-sho
1st February 2007, 11:33 PM
Hikaru no go is better. Its a light-hearted manga, that is for the most part, realistic.(Other than the go stuff) It doesnt rely on magical powers, and saving the world, and death and stuff like that. Its a very unique manga.

BattleFranky~40
1st February 2007, 11:39 PM
Hikaru no go is better. Its a light-hearted manga, that is for the most part, realistic.(Other than the go stuff) It doesnt rely on magical powers, and saving the world, and death and stuff like that. Its a very unique manga.

How is Go not realistic?

littlestchristian13
2nd February 2007, 12:29 AM
hikaru no go

Shadow the Hedgehog
2nd February 2007, 2:05 PM
Death Note is better. I do like both but Death Note had more thought put into it. The art was amazing, the character interactions CRUSH Hikaru no Go's and it had L.

MegaJunior
2nd February 2007, 6:44 PM
Death Note. You should have made this a poll. Death Note is near perfection, the characters are thought out extremely well and the story is mostly very realistic (Yeah I know, shinigami are not >_>)

HK
2nd February 2007, 7:41 PM
Outside of what little I read from Shonen Jump when I still subscribed to it, I don't know much about Hikaru no Go[i]. Can't say one way or the other.

... And I know I'm about to come off as harsh, but fanaticism of this kind always irritates me...

You should have made this a poll. Death Note is near perfection,

Bull-freakin'-sh*t.

the characters are thought out extremely well

Two braniacs who can think fifty moves ahead, make assumptions that are incredibly loose, and others that are either jobbers, *ss-kissers, or clones of previous characters do not constitute as being "thought out extremely well."

and the story is mostly very realistic (Yeah I know, shinigami are not >_>)

... Hn? Wha'? So because [i]Death Note is a shounen located in the real world where people have to pay attention to the plot unlike the majority of the works of the genre, it's suddenly realistic?

Shindou-kun
2nd February 2007, 9:21 PM
Yea, what most people don't realize is that every little thing that happens in Hikaru no GO(even Sai appearing to Shindou; substitute revelations) can happen in real life.;350;

Akaba
2nd February 2007, 9:45 PM
Yea, what most people don't realize is that every little thing that happens in Hikaru no GO(even Sai appearing to Shindou; substitute revelations) can happen in real life.;350;

What?

That's bull.

If Sai can appear, than so can the idea of Ryuk, shinigami, and Death Note.

Shindou-kun
2nd February 2007, 9:49 PM
Stupidity is your forte I guess. "SUBSTITUTE revelations" >.>;350;

Phatkav
3rd February 2007, 3:48 PM
Since I only read couple of volumes of Death Note and couple of chapters of Hikaru no Go, I can't really decide which is better. However, for some reason I like Hikaru no GO. Maybe it's because of the game they play or it's just really is better than Death Note.

Shindou-kun
5th February 2007, 3:29 PM
the game they play is fun!;350;

shinyrayquaza
7th February 2007, 1:59 AM
i've never read deathnote, im afraid, but i love Hikaru no Go, even though my knowledge of go is absolutely zero. Oh, btw, Aka and Shindo, if u two don't pipe don, you're gonna end up like franky and smack that. If you dont know what i'm talking about, visit the zatch bell vs. naruto thread. well, that's my opinion. ciao.

squirrel boy
8th February 2007, 10:16 PM
death note of corse

Pikamoo
8th February 2007, 11:25 PM
I haven't read Hikari no GO so I'm going with Death Note. It's one of my favorites. :3

BattleFranky~40
10th February 2007, 1:35 AM
If you haven't read both of them, why are you posting in a thread asking which of the two is better?

shinyrayquaza
10th February 2007, 1:18 PM
thing is, i've never read death note, but it doesnt look like it fits my tastes. I know HnG is lacking in action, im just saying that i would most likely like HnG better if i were to have read Death note. also, on the subject of Takeshi Obata's works, how do you think "Blue Dragon" is gonna be?

Shindou-kun
10th February 2007, 7:44 PM
If you haven't read both of them, why are you posting in a thread asking which of the two is better?i dont recall you making thread mod so stay out of any administrative business if you are going to be in my thread ok Frank?;350;

Akaba
10th February 2007, 7:47 PM
i dont recall you making thread mod so stay out of any administrative business if you are going to be in my thread ok Frank?;350;

It's actually a good question...

Why comment in a thread where you haven't read or watched, or even seen a tidbit of the other series?

It's blind voting.

Shindou-kun
10th February 2007, 9:13 PM
It's actually a good question...

Why comment in a thread where you haven't read or watched, or even seen a tidbit of the other series?

It's blind voting.well I say its ok;350;

Rudoku
11th February 2007, 1:09 AM
The great sport of moving little white pieces around on a weird board. Truly the American Dream.

Don't be so harsh, he moves black pieces as well. That is the American Dream.

Xeice
11th February 2007, 1:15 AM
well I say its ok;350;

Then don't expect a fair and non-biased answer on which manga is better.

Archimedes
11th February 2007, 4:32 AM
I've been reading Hikaru no GO since Shonen Jump issue 15 or so(minus several missed issues over the past few years) and ever since the February 2007 issue I've just stopped caring and skipped over it each month. The story just became uninteresting to me and with my limited knowledge of Go I got tired of reading it.

Death Note on the other hand is my favorite manga, next to Lupin III of course. It's kept me interested since the beginning and not let go(even after the handcuff incident). I just received my copy of volume 8 today and I already can't wait for my copy of 9 to arrive.

In other words, out of the two Death Note is the one I prefer.

BattleFranky~40
11th February 2007, 4:43 AM
Basically, you haven't seen the whole of either (in which Hikaru no Go gets better, while DN goes down the shitter).

Ugobama
11th February 2007, 7:28 AM
well I ain't read Death Note. But Hikaru no Go is a 3/5 IMO.

Akaba
11th February 2007, 7:55 AM
well I ain't read Death Note. But Hikaru no Go is a 3/5 IMO.

Hikaru no Go is a classic series. 9/10

Death Note is still awesome.

Near haters can go watch Inuyasha fillers for the rest of their lives. It's easily a 8.5/10

BattleFranky~40
11th February 2007, 8:59 AM
Near is lame and needs to die in a fire.

He's one of the characters that actually needed to die.

Shindou-kun
11th February 2007, 3:20 PM

He's one of the characters that actually needed to die.im cosplaying him at Harucon '07;350;

BattleFranky~40
11th February 2007, 7:34 PM
im cosplaying him at Harucon '07;350;

Cosplay is bad.

Leon Phelps
11th February 2007, 7:44 PM
Cosplay is lame.
Fixed.

Hikaru no Go is quite boring to me. I prefer Death Note. Hikaru no Go would have appealed to American readers more if it was based on Checkers instead.

BattleFranky~40
11th February 2007, 7:48 PM
Fixed.

Hikaru no Go is quite boring to me. I prefer Death Note. Hikaru no Go would have appealed to American readers more if it was based on Checkers instead.

Go is a hell of a lot better than checkers.

HnG is actually exciting. Unlike Death Note, where it puts you to sleep in the later volumes.

hollynoel
13th February 2007, 8:35 AM
I've read quite a bit of both, and I still fail to see what makes Death Note soooo wonderful. It's good, but I don't see why so many people are obsessed with it.

Anyways, for this I have to pick Hikaru no Go. It's just consistently good, and Hikaru ends up not having to rely on some kind of super power to play his game.

Guy
14th February 2007, 12:46 AM
never read Deathnote, didn't know about it until the puzzle in SJ (judging from that it sounds cool, but w/e)
for now Hikaru no Go.

Shindou-kun
19th February 2007, 8:23 PM
both are good!;350;

Outlawz
20th February 2007, 5:03 AM
Hikaru no Go is a classic series. 9/10

Death Note is still awesome.

Near haters can go watch Inuyasha fillers for the rest of their lives. It's easily a 8.5/10

Near is a terrible american rip off of L., how can anyone like him? Light needs to kill him, stat.

That Scary Clefairy
20th February 2007, 5:54 AM
When did Near become American? Did I miss something here?

BattleFranky~40
20th February 2007, 5:59 AM
When did Near become American? Did I miss something here?

Exactly. He was just working for America.

Last time I checked, L's orphanage was British.

Tyranitar455
25th February 2007, 4:55 AM
Hikaru no Go because it has a pretty well written plot, unlike Death Note where it completely crashes after vol. 7!

Shindou-kun
1st March 2007, 1:24 AM
Nate Thomas(Near(N))- British
Miheal Keehl(Mello(M))- German
L. Lawliet(L)- British

There! D=<;350;

go_is_cool
1st March 2007, 1:46 AM
Hikaru No Go!

Shindou-kun
1st March 2007, 10:40 PM
shyeah!;350;

Neko Godot
1st March 2007, 10:44 PM
Hikaru No Go and Death Note are so extremely different that you can't really compare them. But since I haven't read Death Note yet, (EGAD!) I'm going to have to say Hikaru No Go is better. For now.

FireKero!
1st March 2007, 10:45 PM
Depends on what your into?

Hikaru No Go is, more or less, targeted to those why can't think so much. If you liked series' like Dragonball Z, Beck: Mongolian Chp Squad or Yu-Gi-Oh!, then Hikaru No Go will be a great series for you.

Death Note is targeted to readers who think more. If your into Naruto or Bleach and Christianity and other religions, then you'll surely love Death Note.

HK
2nd March 2007, 4:36 PM
shyeah!;350;

Stop spamming.

Hikaru No Go is, more or less, targeted to those why can't think so much. If you liked series' like Dragonball Z, Beck: Mongolian Chp Squad or Yu-Gi-Oh!, then Hikaru No Go will be a great series for you.

The hell? Why are you throwing Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad in with the likes of Dragon Ball and Yu-Gi-Oh? I love manga that makes you think, and I also love Beck.

Death Note is targeted to readers who think more.

Uh, no, it's targetted to those ignorant folks who've never really read anything downright challenging and think Death Note to be one of the most intelligent, complex manga out there, which is far from the truth.

If your into Naruto or Bleach and Christianity and other religions, then you'll surely love Death Note.

... Now this just makes no sense.

FireKero!
2nd March 2007, 7:18 PM
The hell? Why are you throwing Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad in with the likes of Dragon Ball and Yu-Gi-Oh? I love manga that makes you think, and I also love Beck.

Why not? Shonen manga? So many similarities. Obviously I'm not reffering to the intelligence level.

Uh, no, it's targetted to those ignorant folks who've never really read anything downright challenging and think Death Note to be one of the most intelligent, complex manga out there, which is far from the truth.

You can't say that. DN is a very thought provoking manga, and I've seen many people who where into Detective Conan, Dragon head, Eden!, Ode To Kihirito relate the series'.

... Now this just makes no sense.

For what reasons? It relates to Naruto and Bleach through Supernatural occurances and beings, the cost of life, tag-along partners, and Christianity because of the many, many metaphors I've seen it playt hroughout the series.

*The whole upside down cross, creating a new soceity, etc, etc. Several times is Light's journey to create a new world mentioned in this volume and what route God lead him on.

Actually, the whole upside down cross thine througthout the series was very intelligent. Of course, it could've been the manga-ka thinking that it's "cool to use the cross" like so many others have done, but the occult relations and the similar art between Ryuuk and Shidoh with Angels from Christianity is more the coincedence.

I shpould be fare though and change my post into "religion" instead of getting so specific.

BTW, headache. So any gramatical errors in my post was because of booze. XD

HK
3rd March 2007, 1:37 AM
Why not? Shonen manga? So many similarities. Obviously I'm not reffering to the intelligence level.

... Uh, no, Beck is not like Dragon Ball or Yu-Gi-Oh. That's like saying Yotsuba&! is like Naruto because neither require your mind to be working on all cylinders, hur hur hur.

You can't say that. DN is a very thought provoking manga, and I've seen many people who where into Detective Conan, Dragon head, Eden!, Ode To Kihirito relate the series'.

Death Note is thought-provokin in that it makes the case of simple concepts and themes that, say, Fullmetal Alchemist makes for teenagers. "Is it wrong to kill a person, even if they killed another?" Simple themes like that have been done before and more efficiently. The "humanistic" qualities have already been explored in types like Monster and Oda to Kirihito, and those are more mature, better for it... Though, I'm a bit lost if you're implying that Dragon Head and Eden: It's an Endless World! are similar to Death Note.

But I'm thinking about manga that is very, very complex and variably deep with its themes. Abandon the Old in Tokyo, Akira, Believers, Black & White, Domu: A Child's Dream, Phoenix, etc. are those kind of manga that are thought-provoking in the mature sense.

For what reasons? It relates to Naruto and Bleach through Supernatural occurances and beings, the cost of life, tag-along partners, and Christianity because of the many, many metaphors I've seen it playt hroughout the series.

The supernatural bit is a stretch, since you can make a comparison with just about anything there. It's like saying Fullmetal Alchemist and Texhnolyze are the same because of prosthetic limbs, or Berserk and the Bible are similar because of the mythos played out. And a superficial-based Christianity influence doesn't really equate to much, especially considering,

at the end of the manga Ryuk tells Light that there is no afterlife. You die, and that's it.

*The whole upside down cross, creating a new soceity, etc, etc. Several times is Light's journey to create a new world mentioned in this volume and what route God lead him on.

Actually, the whole upside down cross thine througthout the series was very intelligent. Of course, it could've been the manga-ka thinking that it's "cool to use the cross" like so many others have done, but the occult relations and the similar art between Ryuuk and Shidoh with Angels from Christianity is more the coincedence.

Death Note has as much to do with and comment Christianity as Neon Genesis Evangelion has, which is none.

Shindou-kun
11th March 2007, 1:33 AM
Yea I am into Naruto AND Bleach and I'm not really a religious person that much BUT I do believe in divine judgement.;356;

cause of ......
29th March 2007, 10:45 PM
Hikaru no GO

Shindou-kun
30th March 2007, 10:21 PM
speaking of which, has anyone gotten volume 9/23 of Hikaru no GO?

Tsubasa
31st March 2007, 5:45 AM
I read the Hikaru no Go section in the Shonen Jump and I watch Death Note, so I'm working with two different mediums here....
But still- I like Death Note MUCH better than HnG. L and Light are freaking geniuses. And I stand by the fact that Light is insane. In my opinion HnG doesn't have an insane person who is also a genius, which puts it at a distinct disadvantage. Though I'm pretty mad at Light for what he does to L. Those of you who know will know what I'm talking about. I hope.
Well that's just me.

Shindou-kun
4th April 2007, 10:57 PM
cookie! =3

Shindou-kun
5th April 2007, 12:38 AM
Death Note #11 comes out this month(end) and I'm getting Hikaru no GO #9 this week.

Shindou-kun
10th April 2007, 4:39 PM

He's one of the characters that actually needed to die.Near ish awesome but yea he needs to die. Go Light! Kill everyone! <D

Near will ".......die in a sea of holy fire on the first day of Ra-D-aman".

-Osama bin Laden(Family Guy)

Benji
10th April 2007, 8:14 PM
well i haven't read much of Hikaru no Go
but I've read all of Death Note and it's simply genious. ;P

Hikaru no Go to me seems like another kiddy anime based on a game.. like YuGiOh
but like I said, I haven't read much of it.. so I wouldn't really know.

Shindou-kun
13th April 2007, 9:21 PM
well i haven't read much of Hikaru no Go
but I've read all of Death Note and it's simply genious. ;P

Hikaru no Go to me seems like another kiddy anime based on a game.. like YuGiOh
but like I said, I haven't read much of it.. so I wouldn't really know.Yu-Gi-Oh was created upon the creation of the manga but GO was created over 4 millennia ago

Outlawz
15th April 2007, 4:58 AM
Near ish awesome but yea he needs to die. Go Light! Kill everyone! <D

Near will ".......die in a sea of holy fire on the first day of Ra-D-aman".

-Osama bin Laden(Family Guy)

Near was not awesome, he was the exact opposite of awsome.

That Scary Clefairy
15th April 2007, 8:44 AM
after re reading DN, I don't get the big deal about Near. Are people piss cause he replaceing L? Seems to be he trying to avenge L's death.

I have no problem with him and Mello. In fact I have no problem with any of characters except Misa and what's her name(girl Light met in college and is being used by him)

Outlawz
15th April 2007, 9:07 AM
after re reading DN, I don't get the big deal about Near. Are people piss cause he replaceing L? Seems to be he trying to avenge L's death.

I have no problem with him and Mello. In fact I have no problem with any of characters except Misa and what's her name(girl Light met in college and is being used by him)

Near was an exact copy of L except younger and american and not nearly as cool.

zonic the hedgehog
15th April 2007, 5:28 PM
Near was an exact copy of L except younger and american and not nearly as cool.

He was not American, but he was working for Americans.
If I recall, he was British.

Outlawz
15th April 2007, 8:29 PM
He was not American, but he was working for Americans.
If I recall, he was British.

thats even worse.

That Scary Clefairy
15th April 2007, 8:38 PM
thats even worse.

that's not surprising since the school he, Mello and L went to was in England.

I don't really see him exactly L rippoff.

~Bent~
15th April 2007, 8:51 PM
Hikaru no Go is probably the main reason I still read Shonen Jump.

I haven't read much Death Note. Just the first chapter or so.

Also, I find the rampant arguing about professional Go in this thread hilarious.

Hikozaru390
16th April 2007, 3:14 AM
Death Note has as much to do with and comment Christianity as Neon Genesis Evangelion has, which is none.

Yet in Episode 25, there was so much reference to Judas and Jesus, it's not even funny.
*realizes this is the manga section*

Crap. Ah, well.

I can't decide. The Hikaru no Go manga engages me more than the DN manga, so I'll have to go with Hikaru no Go.

AngelMayLaugh
16th April 2007, 10:06 PM
This is pretty biased since I finished Death Note, and read only 20 chapters of Hikaru No Go.

I like death note because of it's suspense and great story. It kept me ate the edge of my seat throughout the whole series.

Hikaru No Go was pretty good, I liked that they moved away from Cards and decided to use a board game. This series actually got me playing Go.

They are both pretty good but I prefer Death Note.

Rhythmatic
17th April 2007, 2:47 PM
Also, I find the rampant arguing about professional Go in this thread hilarious.

Seriously! They have no idea what they're on about either! Sad, sad world...

Hikaru no Go for me. I guess it's the same reason everyone else loves it. It's very addicting and original. Like drugs for eyes.

freedom-123
30th April 2007, 11:11 AM
id have to say death note

Shindou-kun
2nd May 2007, 10:32 PM
Death Note ends in the month of my birthday! July! Squee! ^3^!

Mumage
3rd May 2007, 4:47 AM
I can't even believe your comparing Death Note to that piece of crap they call anime.

Shame. :<

Shindou-kun
7th May 2007, 9:40 PM
I realize it's your opinion, but i wouldn't really call HnG a piece of crap................^-^"

freedom-123
21st May 2007, 10:20 AM
death note would be good for people who like tense animes or mystery ones

Shindou-kun
23rd May 2007, 10:42 PM
Death Note Anime Is Being Dubbed!!!!

mewfanforlife
23rd May 2007, 11:10 PM
I think that Death Note has a more interesting story.

mewfanforlife
23rd May 2007, 11:10 PM
I think that Death Note has a more interesting story.

Archimedes
24th May 2007, 3:00 AM
Death Note Anime Is Being Dubbed!!!!

Thank you captain obvious, for pointing out what was already confirmed back in January or so. Stop spamming already.

Wing
24th May 2007, 9:24 AM
Personally, I like both. But what I dislike is when people post asking for others' opinions and then get ****** off when people have different ideas.

Anyway, the problem I have with Hikaru no Go is that it is ... about a game. It's not anything mind blowing in any sort of way. Death note, however, tends to bore me after a while.

Outlawz
24th May 2007, 11:08 PM
Personally, I like both. But what I dislike is when people post asking for others' opinions and then get ****** off when people have different ideas.

Anyway, the problem I have with Hikaru no Go is that it is ... about a game. It's not anything mind blowing in any sort of way. Death note, however, tends to bore me after a while.

Death Note is about a notebook, thats even more boring.

Shindou-kun
11th June 2007, 3:13 PM
Death Note is about a notebook, thats even more boring.Yea but just to let you know, by saying this it proves your own ignorance about it and proves you've only read a preview of it, not the actual thing.

Yes, Hikaru no GO is about the game of GO, but I'd advise you to start reading Japanese History before making another comment elsewhere.

Skiks
11th June 2007, 10:36 PM
I find Hikaru No Go a lot more interesting then Deathnote. Thats just me though.

Shindou-kun
12th June 2007, 5:09 PM
It's hard for me to decide because Hikaru no GO is more mature with their content than most manga but Death Note is more intellectually profound

Outlawz
18th June 2007, 1:19 PM
Yea but just to let you know, by saying this it proves your own ignorance about it and proves you've only read a preview of it, not the actual thing.

Yes, Hikaru no GO is about the game of GO, but I'd advise you to start reading Japanese History before making another comment elsewhere.

No I've read all of it, Near wins and Light goes down whining like a lil *****, that equates to one of the most dissapointing endings I've ever read.

thorn6066
18th June 2007, 1:49 PM
I think Death Note, its about a boy who finds a notebook and when he writes a person name on there they die, he can choose the way they die. Havent read this all the way, but my friend has.
Tried reading Kikaru no Go, but its about a person who plays Go, and its stupied.

Shindou-kun
18th June 2007, 3:22 PM
But you have to admit, Hikaru no GO is one of the top 5 most mature manga stories out there.

Shindou-kun
18th June 2007, 3:24 PM
you have to admit though that Hikaru no GO is one of the most mature mangas out there, speaking of content like sexual content, violence, and profanity.

Shindou-kun
18th June 2007, 3:33 PM
Hikaru no GO is more mature than most manga

That Scary Clefairy
18th June 2007, 4:06 PM

It's good but not most mature or even close to most manga. You haven't read much have you?

Shindou-kun
18th June 2007, 4:32 PM
Ummm lets see I have read all of the american manga so far as well have seen the entire series of anime including the 2004 special

Poliwhirl
18th June 2007, 8:06 PM
Death Note, because Hikaru no go looks boring, but the animation looks better.

HK
19th June 2007, 4:53 AM
Death Note is not intellectually profound. The usual "should people be killed for..." theme has been done over and over again. It's more intelligent than most shounen out there, but that's not really saying that much.

Hecks naw.

More mature than most of its own genre (shounen)? Sure. But more mature than most manga altogether? Hecks naw.

Ummm lets see I have read all of the american manga so far as well have seen the entire series of anime including the 2004 special

Obvious Hint: TSC was not talking solely about Hikaru no Go.

That Scary Clefairy
19th June 2007, 8:25 AM
You still don't get what the **** I was saying, have you?

Obvious Hint: TSC was not talking solely about Hikaru no Go.

You and I read each other like identical compatibale twins. Like Xia Yu Fan and Xia Yu Lan from FMP:TSR

Shindou-kun
20th June 2007, 7:36 PM
The ability to read minds does not exist, therefore I am not guilty if I cannot understand what a person means to say.;478;

That Scary Clefairy
20th June 2007, 10:49 PM
The ability to read minds does not exist, therefore I am not guilty if I cannot understand what a person means to say.;478;
Yes, you are.

HK
21st June 2007, 12:08 AM
You and I read each other like identical compatibale twins. Like Xia Yu Fan and Xia Yu Lan from FMP:TSR

Not like the original homosexual male twins like in the novel? :p

But yeah, I'd rather take that race and sex change...

You want it more obvious? Fine. Here it is in nice big letters. Oh, and please click what says "Show Spoiler" if you don't know how to work with spoilers. I'm helping you all nice an easy here:

TSC WAS REFERRING TO MORE THAN JUST THE HIKARU NO GO MANGA. Y'KNOW, MANGA THAT ISN'T HIKARU NO GO.

Anzua2
23rd June 2007, 7:01 AM

Hellsing.
Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Trigun.
Akira.
Love Hina.
Ouran Host Club.
He is my Master.

These are all well known magna that are more mature than Hikaru no Go.
Did I prove my point?

That Scary Clefairy
23rd June 2007, 1:27 PM
Hellsing.
Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Trigun.
Akira.
Love Hina.
Ouran Host Club.
He is my Master.

AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Even you failed on that list.

Shindou-kun
23rd June 2007, 4:49 PM
Hellsing.
Neon Genesis Evangelion. -Violence, Sexual Content
Trigun. -Violence
Akira. -(just heard of Akira so don't really know)
Love Hina. - Sexual Content(Mature Level)
Ouran Host Club. -Sexual content
He is my Master. -(never heard of it)

These are all well known magna that are more mature than Hikaru no Go.
Did I prove my point?Actually you're about the biggest imbecile I've probably ever met. When I said mature as in the author was human enough not to put in any sexual content, violence, or language. The anime put language in though for effect. WOOT! YUMI HOTTA!

Anzua2
24th June 2007, 12:32 AM
AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Even you failed on that list.

Yes, I realise.

I've only watched/read a few of those shows/manga. Even from looking at summaries of the plots, I can tell they have content which is more mature than Hikaru no Go. I never stated they were more serious. The person I replied to simply said "mature" which can mean many different things. As such, I gave a list of magna that are more "mature" in various ways.

That Scary Clefairy
24th June 2007, 6:59 AM
Actually you're about the biggest imbecile I've probably ever met. When I said mature as in the author was human enough not to put in any sexual content, violence, or language. The anime put language in though for effect. WOOT! YUMI HOTTA!

And even by that content, which is what I knew you were going by, it still isn't the most mature.

Shindou-kun
24th June 2007, 2:27 PM
If you recall, I never said it was the most but more than the most. I myself highly doubt it is the most mature manga in the world.

P.S. I am getting Death Note vol. 12 today! =D

That Scary Clefairy
24th June 2007, 5:35 PM
If you recall, I never said it was the most but more than the most. I myself highly doubt it is the most mature manga in the world.

Yea you said "than most manga" Which really isn't. It hardly even in that rank.

Satoshi
24th June 2007, 6:08 PM
Ouran High School Host Club? Sexual content? Is the new definition of harem porn now?

Death Note, because Hikaru no go looks boring, but the animation looks better.
I thought we were in the manga section...

Anyway~

I feel that I like Hikaru no GO better than Death Note. The only thing I really liked about Death Note was L...

Shindou-kun
25th June 2007, 1:40 AM
Omigosh for everyone who reads Death Note you have to pick up 12. It is so good!!!

Outlawz
25th June 2007, 1:56 AM
Omigosh for everyone who reads Death Note you have to pick up 12. It is so good!!!

No, it's not, the ending sucks, and theres way to much info crammed into one volume, it pretty much puts you to sleep. But if it wern't for the bad ending we couldn't have this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/mrr/1180319672443.jpg

Shindou-kun
25th June 2007, 2:08 AM
Coming from the guy who has to degrade someone just because he's so insecure he needs to put misfortune on someone to feel good...............

Outlawz
25th June 2007, 2:11 AM
Coming from the guy who has to degrade someone just because he's so insecure he needs to put misfortune on someone to feel good...............

Really? Naw, the ending just sucks, hardcore, way to boring.

Shindou-kun
25th June 2007, 2:19 AM
I guess only an intellectual could really understand how humble and intellectual the ending is.............................

Outlawz
25th June 2007, 2:23 AM
I guess only an intellectual could really understand how humble and intellectual the ending is.............................

Big words and boring plans dont make it intellectual, contrary to popular belief, Death Note's ending is just plain boring.

Outlawz
25th June 2007, 2:26 AM

Big words and boring plans dont make it intellectual, contrary to popular belief, Death Note's ending is just plain boring.

Shindou-kun
25th June 2007, 2:45 AM
You find boring because you aren't an intellectual. It's something you must be to understand. Otherwise, there is no explanation, well one I can't find off hand.

Outlawz
25th June 2007, 2:54 AM
You find boring because you aren't an intellectual. It's something you must be to understand. Otherwise, there is no explanation, well one I can't find off hand.

Naw, I dont think so, it's boring because they cram in the entire sought out plan into a few chapters, nothing interesting happens, Near brags and Light looks ****** off, then Light whines like a baby, which is just embarassing, yup, it's boring and dissapointing, deal with it, Death Note is only super intelligent to complete idiots.

Satoshi
25th June 2007, 3:02 AM
How's finding something boring mean you don't understand it? Most people understand math, yet they find it boring.

Shindou-kun
25th June 2007, 3:12 AM
N/m.............

That Scary Clefairy
25th June 2007, 10:00 AM
No, it's not, the ending sucks, and theres way to much info crammed into one volume, it pretty much puts you to sleep. But if it wern't for the bad ending we couldn't have this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/mrr/1180319672443.jpg
That photoshoped image was awesome.

Mello should kill Near AND Light. Cuz Mello is German and a Nazi.

Shindou-kun
25th June 2007, 8:19 PM
Well Light dies anyway, so I guess it shouldn't matter........

Outlawz
25th June 2007, 8:27 PM
Well Light dies anyway, so I guess it shouldn't matter........

Light didn't die, he was murdered, by bad writing.

Shindou-kun
25th June 2007, 9:31 PM
Whatever! <_>

Outlawz
7th July 2007, 11:59 AM
That photoshoped image was awesome.

Mello should kill Near AND Light. Cuz Mello is German and a Nazi.

With a tube sock filled with bratwurst.

Shindou-kun
7th July 2007, 6:16 PM
Thanks for posting Outlawz. I haven't had a post in this for quite a while ^-^"

Anzua2
8th July 2007, 1:34 AM
Don't post for the sake of upping your post count.

Thank you.

Luvs to Destroy
8th July 2007, 1:58 AM
ok. i understand that people like to play go and its popular but i really really don't care about reading a manga where you watch someone play a game (probably part of the reason why i hate yu-gi-oh). Deathnote does lack in many places but the parts where all the tension and pressure finally bursts into what me and my friends call "oh my god" moments. so ya death note hands down.

Shindou-kun
8th July 2007, 3:20 PM
That's understandable. ^_^