PDA

View Full Version : O'er the Rampardos We Watched! (486)

Serebii
2nd February 2007, 2:37 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/486.jpgO'er the Rampardos We Watched!

It's time for Ash's re-match against the Rock Type Gym Leader, Roark. However, with the recent evolution of Roark's Cranidos, Ash faces a much tougher challenge that his previous battle. In the 3 on 3 Battle, Will Ash be able to defeat Roark or will he lose and have to try again?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/shinou/486.shtml)

Discuss

PANCAKE
2nd February 2007, 2:43 PM
Can't wait to see this freakin' slug fest against Aipom and Geodude. Seen the pics, but I hope they are not doing the fight justice. From the looks of it, Aipom also went out pretty quick against Rampard. I'm just glad the beastly little monkey is finally holding it's own.

Oh and Gregguru copping a feel under Jessie's top: PRICELESS!

The End
2nd February 2007, 4:08 PM
Woo go Pikachu!!

Pokemon Fan
2nd February 2007, 4:19 PM
Notes from the episode picks:

I don't see why anyone could dislike the Pikachu versus Onix rematch. It looked well done to me so long as you're not bothered by Pikachu being a powerhouse. Onix pulled off some impressive moves (though I wonder what the point was in using Stealth Roch while Pikachu was buried, to set up for later?), and Pikachu's win was pretty believable, a Iron Tail followed by one of its patented "Electric attacks so mighty they can even damage Ground types" and then a final Iron Tail to Onix's throat.

Not to mention the end of the win was one of Pikachu's most HARDCORE.:cool: :p With it standing completely still as Onix crashes to the ground directly behind it like the Men in Black facing a falling spaceship. Mimirol had a right to blush in sheer fangirl joy. :D

And might I mention Onix looked really cool in a number of scenes, but then I'm a big fan of the rock wyrm. I like it that Hyouta's does Onix the justice Brock's rarely did.

I only just now realized that Greggle's strange ability to detect Brock's flirtations, TR scheming etc. must be an extension of its species' Danger Sense (whatever its called) ability.

Hmm... so I guess its true they've removed Geodude's ability to levitate in the anime... not that it matters. This was probably the best fight to ever involve Geodude in the anime.

Love Pikachu and Aipom's smirks of trumpth, likely related to knowing that though they are beat up, Ash still has three pokemon versus Hyouta's one remaining. People wanted Ash to use three pokemon against Rampard, and it looks like he does, even if Aipom does maybe two HP of damage (game speaking).

Greggle is creepy cool! Does scary music play as it threatens TR?

Seeing that in the anime Rampard can at times have arms that appear twice as long as normal, it makes more sense that it can learn the move Arm Hammer.

Is that move with the shiny blue aura around its body that Rampard uses Focus Energy? If so it seems it now has offensive uses in anime battles, blocking Razor Leaf and all.

It seems to me Naetle didn't just throw Rampard. Rather it used Rampard's own weight and momentum to make it go off course and crash. Fairly realistic, to use an opponents power against it when its stronger than you are.

The screenshots make it unclear just how Naetle did it (something to do with using the charred leaves) but it clearly gets under Rampard and lets loose with a Razor Leaf to its stomach so hard it is lifted off the ground and into the air then crashes in defeat.

So all in all looks to be a fairly decent gym battle. If all the gym battles are as good or better than this one then Shinno will be a real winner in this department.

Celebitwo
2nd February 2007, 5:37 PM
Finally, he beats Hyota. Is there any chance of the badge being put in his bio?

sCiZoR_2006
2nd February 2007, 5:48 PM
Notes from the episode picks:

I don't see why anyone could dislike the Pikachu versus Onix rematch. It looked well done to me so long as you're not bothered by Pikachu being a powerhouse. Onix pulled off some impressive moves (though I wonder what the point was in using Stealth Roch while Pikachu was buried, to set up for later?), and Pikachu's win was pretty believable, a Iron Tail followed by one of its patented "Electric attacks so mighty they can even damage Ground types" and then a final Iron Tail to Onix's throat.

I wished Pikachu just used the Thunderbolt to break free of the rocks it was buried in/negate Onix's attack. Didn't really like the fact that the electric move hit the rock/ground-type, but this is the anime, so..

Mimirol had a right to blush in sheer fangirl joy. :D

I agree...that was a pretty nice touch lol

I only just now realized that Greggle's strange ability to detect Brock's flirtations, TR scheming etc. must be an extension of its species' Danger Sense (whatever its called) ability.

...Greggle is creepy cool! Does scary music play as it threatens TR?

We really can say that the writers put in Danger Anticipate ability into Gregguru's personality.

When it was intimidating/pushing back TR, there was actually NO music playing at all lol. TR just nervously tried to justify to Gregguru of what they were doing in the back corridors of the Gym...when it strarted taking steps forward, they nervously took steps back.

The final Poison Stab to Musashi's stomach was priceless. Gregguru's the isht.

Is that move with the shiny blue aura around its body that Rampard uses Focus Energy? If so it seems it now has offensive uses in anime battles, blocking Razor Leaf and all.

Reminisint Headbutt is the blue, shinning attack...and is actually a psychic-type move surprisngly. Rampardo uses it to block/negate attacks as well.

The screenshots make it unclear just how Naetle did it (something to do with using the charred leaves) but it clearly gets under Rampard and lets loose with a Razor Leaf to its stomach so hard it is lifted off the ground and into the air then crashes in defeat.

Using the charred leaves, Ash disguised Naetoru's moves to make Hyouta THINK that his grass-type was going to jump so Rampardo would have the advantage and jump too. But instead, Naetoru did a spinning-slide along the ground UNDER the rock-type. Rampardo's Reminisint Headbutt (this time around) was fashioned to work if attacks were thrown at it from above it...not below...so the position Naetoru was in gave it a huge opening for Razor Leaf to connect in a fierce way.

I really enjoyed this battle though. The final winning strategy for Satoshi seemed more believable then some of the other wins he out-of-nowhere thinks of. Can't wait to see what he does for the 2nd Shinou Gym.

ChaosMage
2nd February 2007, 5:52 PM
Greggle, I friggin' love you! And finally some more fangilriness for Mimiroru. The pokemon personalities were on top form in this episode, and it's cool to see both Brock and Hikari's pokemon joining in the cheerleading. This is a truly fantastic looking gym episode, and the end of one of the more successful leader mini-sagas.

I'm anxiously awaiting the next gym, and all I can see is COME ON MUKKUBIRD!!!

Flamez
2nd February 2007, 5:56 PM
Can't wait to see what he does for the 2nd Shinou Gym.
Yeah me too. I'm almost sure that Mukubird will have the spotlight in that gym which IMO will be something everyone should look forward too. Mukubird=God

I've only seen the pics yet, I'll be watching the episode in an hour or so. The battle seemed like it was really good. I know there were quite a few peope who were talking about the size difference between Naetoru and Rampurado and how Ash should use that to an advantage. I believe he did just that by having Naetoru get under Rampurado and launching a close range razorleaf.

As far as Pikachu using thunderbolt to break away from the rocks and zapping Onix, its not really a big thing. Pikachu has done that plenty of times the last time it broke away from the Ice pillar from Regice's attack and zapped it aswell. Pikachu is definitely strong enough to pull that off. No complaints from my side.lol

Almighty Zard
2nd February 2007, 6:06 PM
I'll say it now, Pikachu vs Onix was the cheapest of the three fights, not just because Pikachu won way too easily, but also because Onix tired to use screech again and the the next scene it gets iron tailed in the throat, without showing any effort to dodge the screech at all, the battle as a whole left me less disapointed than i thought i was going to be, and at least Ash didn't forget Synthesis, just Hyota knew not to let Neatoru recover thanks to that Flamethrower.

Pros:
Hikari and her pokemon as cheerleaders
Aipom vs Geodude
Greggle ps'ing Jessie.
Pikachu's static came back(although once again the elekid line shows him up as it's was more potent, Rampart was only paralyzed one time)
Hyota's WTF look when Neatoru kept using Razor Leaf against flamethrower.
Neatoru's use of Synthesis, and the fact it beat the gyms biggest gun.

Cons:
Pikachu vs Onix
Ash's "glowing" during the Neatoru vs Rampart match, what's that about.

Crimsonmon
2nd February 2007, 6:33 PM
Did they get a new music director for this episode? Because whoever did it, didn't do a very good job. First, the Pikachu fight had dramatic/sad music that didn't fit the situation at all, then when Together played, it was too damn loud.

Weav-vile
2nd February 2007, 6:46 PM
I have only seen the pics yet, and I'd say something, but Pokémon Fan said everything IMO.

Looks like an above-avarage gym episode... Now I just got to see it. :rolleyes:

- Nozomi

Pokemon Fan
2nd February 2007, 8:42 PM
Reminisint Headbutt is the blue, shinning attack...and is actually a psychic-type move surprisngly. Rampardo uses it to block/negate attacks as well.
Ah, so when the glow covers much of its body instead of just its domed head its just another form of the same attack? That flexibility makes it a bit more like a Psychic move actually so well done animators.

I'll say it now, Pikachu vs Onix was the cheapest of the three fights, not just because Pikachu won way too easily,
Two super effective Iron Tails from something with as much experience as Ash's Pikachu doesn't seem like way too easily to me. Not to mention I bet that hit to the throat could be called a critical hit (they do make use of those in the anime occasionally, referring to a move "hitting a weak spot" and all which is what a Critical Hit is supposed to be in the games).

but also because Onix tired to use screech again and the the next scene it gets iron tailed in the throat, without showing any effort to dodge the screech at all,
Did you only see the screenshots? Because if so its impossible to tell if Pikachu made no effort to dodge or not. To me it looked like at one point it got behind Onix's head where the Screech couldn't effect it much.

In anime those are usually symbolic of one's fighting spirit and inner drive, assuming we're talking about the same thing.

Pokerob
2nd February 2007, 8:44 PM
Simple outcome.
Pikachu will do a fortunate attack on the Zugaidosu and eventually they win with bitter luck.
I would prefer him to win again then go to the next gym then come back to it later in the series.

Deception
2nd February 2007, 8:49 PM
Naetle beat it,not pika.Pay attention.

Almighty Zard
2nd February 2007, 8:51 PM
Did you only see the screenshots? Because if so its impossible to tell if Pikachu made no effort to dodge or not. To me it looked like at one point it got behind Onix's head where the Screech couldn't effect it much.

I watched the episode, Onix used a second screech when pikachu came in for the second iron tail, and just suddenly learned teleport as there was no dodge made, and i call that moment cheap.

ChaosMage
2nd February 2007, 9:01 PM
It's nice to see how Pochama and Mimiroru working as a team. They definitely have more comaradary than other pokemon on the team.

Amakusa Ryu
2nd February 2007, 9:13 PM
Well, finally, Naetoru showed its skills. I´m glad it won. Now I´m waiting for Mukubird´s highlight.

And the part where Gureguru hits Jessie with Poison Stab made me LOL a lot!

Gravy
2nd February 2007, 9:49 PM
Ah, so when the glow covers much of its body instead of just its domed head its just another form of the same attack? That flexibility makes it a bit more like a Psychic move actually so well done animators.

The one where the rather violent looking aura coated it's entire body wasn't the same attack, from what I can gather. Hyouta ordered a different command for that one. I'm assuming it was Double Headbutt, considering Rampard appeared to take on some damage after using it. Zugaidos was told to use the same move a while back, iirc, to counter Pikachu's Volt Tackle.

Ashy Boy
2nd February 2007, 9:55 PM
Poor Jessie. Yet it was hilarious to see her get punched in the stomach by Greggle.

Magical Needle Smash
2nd February 2007, 9:56 PM

It was apparently a Newtype moment.

That big, glowing one was certainly Double Headbutt. It's an attack with huge power that causes the user to take recoil damage, which is why Satoshi countered it with Volt Tackle in the previous episode.

Just as a side note, Hyouta never even used this attack at all against Shinji.

Edit: Beaten to the punch while I went to double-check the episode

Flamez
2nd February 2007, 10:02 PM
I watched the episode, Onix used a second screech when pikachu came in for the second iron tail, and just suddenly learned teleport as there was no dodge made, and i call that moment cheap.
I just saw the episode. I think by the time Onix got off the screech attack Pikachu was already under its mouth and hit it with an iron tail. Onix can not hit a pokemon with Screech if the pokemon is right under its mouth. My japanese is very limited but Im sure throughout the match with Pikachu, Hyouta commented on its Speed. Besides Pikachu has more then enough power/experience to beat Onix the way it did. I really don't think the battle was cheap at all.

Aipom vs. Geodude was very good. Definitely the best battle a geodude was put in. Aipom will develop in quite the strong pokemon if Ash continues to train it and use it.

Naetoru vs. Rampurado was excellent. It was not an easy victory for Naetoru it had to work hard for it. It did heal itself alittle. Loved the part where Naetoru spun side ways and got under Rampurado and launched a razor leaf attack lifting the dyno into the air and then stopping to have it crash into the floor.

I thought the animation was good and the music was good also. Obviously not the best but they were good.

I rate this as the best 1st gym battle ever. Love Pikachu but it was good to see Naetoru walk away with the spotlight.

starterlover1
2nd February 2007, 10:04 PM
I like this episode, mostly because we got to see Ramparudo. Onix vs. Pikachu was good, as was Aipom vs. Geodude. Although from the screenshots it looks like Naetoru only used a single bite, then the only attack it used was Razor Leaf.

Gravy
2nd February 2007, 10:29 PM
This episode completely changed my opinion of Rampard. I was never really fond of it's design from the get-go, and last week's episode didn't really help matters, what with the abysmal artwork and all. But having seen the thing in action, and being properly introduced to how it's body structure is suppossed to look, I've grown to like it. And I was happy that it's eyes didn't look like they'd just been pasted onto it's face this time!

See, that's one of the reasons I'm always going on about the animation :P

Also, the various different cries it had for each headbutt attack where pretty cool. Especially the deep "GuuuuWAAAAHHHH!" it let out when charging up Reminisant. And also that rolling 'Drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl!" for Double~

ChaosMage
2nd February 2007, 10:41 PM
I like how Aipom is one of those pokemon whose been eased into battling and building slowly up through weaker opponents, not just kicking powerhouse arse off the bat like certain other pokemon. The little guy is certainly being handled well in my book.

AshfanGirl20
2nd February 2007, 11:16 PM
Awesome episode, I loved Aipoms revenge muhahahaha.

Geodude
3rd February 2007, 2:44 AM
I loved the "pffuhh" noise Rampurado made after doing nothing and letting Aipom's Swift hit, it was like "That's just pathetic." XD

Flamez
3rd February 2007, 2:46 AM
I loved the "pffuhh" noise Rampurado made after doing nothing and letting Aipom's Swift hit, it was like "That's just pathetic." XD
Yeah I loved that noise as well but the best noise in this episode was Jessie when she got punched in the stomache by Greggle. That had me going for like 5 minutes straight. lol

uber gon
3rd February 2007, 2:48 AM

Why couldn't the writers do that with ALL pokémon when an attack sucks on them?

Geodude
3rd February 2007, 2:48 AM
Yeah Greggle was several kinds of awesome in this episode. XD

R_N
3rd February 2007, 2:50 AM

Makes sence, never thought of that.

This was agreat episode.
Good, non screw job, match ups.
Greggle was awsome.
A good Onix & Geodude.
AIPOM!

On this episode of Pokemon Gone Moderately Wild!, Hikari & co dress as cheerleaders.
Go non-mayness!

Geodude
3rd February 2007, 2:52 AM
I wished Pikachu just used the Thunderbolt to break free of the rocks it was buried in/negate Onix's attack. Didn't really like the fact that the electric move hit the rock/ground-type, but this is the anime, so..
That was the point of it, yes, to break free and stop the Stealth Rock. The Thunderbolt only hit Onix because it was headed in that direction, and the damage was relatively brief. Much more emphasis was clearly made on the damage done by the Iron Tail attacks, so it can be assumed that the Thunderbolt was more of a surprise than actual damage, I guess.

"My spider-sense is tingling!"

Weav-vile
3rd February 2007, 3:14 AM
Just watched the episode, and... I loved it! Guys, even the music was a win. For the first time in the D/P series history, a song actually was played. I mean, with the voice itself included, 'course :p

Gonna list the main points of it (the ones I liked most, actually):

. Hikari's cheerleader outfits, with Pochama am Mimiroru helping her to cheer Ash. And Mimiroru saying something (ya, how could I know what? =P) when Pikachu was almost defeated by Onix. There it is again, the greater Pokémon love ever! :rolleyes:

. The whole battle. Aw, I was all like "ZOMG" all the time! One of the best gym
battles of all time - and, for sure, the best of the first gym battle each region gains. Cry out loud, AG fans! ;D
Ok, I'm just kidding! ;x
But seriously, when Pikachu won Onix and stood in that position, when Naetoru fooled Rampard (which is awesome, BTW), when Aipom knocked Geodude out - when everything else happened, it already became epic. D/P is better keep this level in the gym, 'cause then they're gonna make it the best series ever!

. Ash's Pokémon imitating what Hikari's Pochama and Mimiroru did witth Aerodactyl. Some of you must say that spinning thing is childish, but I really like it! Specially when we learn it's not a win always, since Naetoru failed to escape Rampard's thorns.

. It's always good to see Hikari's daijoubu too... Sounds like a girl hin. OK, I'll shut up now about it. xD

. Naetoru. Say what you want, say Treecko was more badass and Bulbasaur was THE badass, but... Naetoru just won a Rampard. Wow, sounds nuts, huh? And guess what? It's just in the begin of its training. Sounds badass, too, doesn't it?

. Team Rocket. They were whispering their motto! Really cool to watch too, should happen more often!

. Greguru. This thing is gotta turn into the creeppiest Pokémon on the main team ever ever and ever! I laughed out loud while it was walking at Team Rocket and they were walking back, and then when it poisoned Jessie! LOLz megaly loled XD

. Hyouta. ;-; Guess it's his good-bye. Good to know you, dude. You're such a cuttie *o*

Ha, guess that's all.

Ah, I just missed a few 'things': Mime Jr., Wobby and Mukkubado. Gah, why didn't Ash let the thing watch the battle? >.>
But I'm OK with that, 'cause at least I'm sure it will rock in the next gym. Hell yeahhh!!! \o>

And, again, I can't wait 'till next week. Goshhh, it's killing me... ;_;
I.Want.That.Pachi! *---*

*Goes to edit the sig*

- Nozomi

Juputoru
3rd February 2007, 3:36 AM
Returning from a two-month hiatus, it's...well, I'll let the rest of my post answer what's returning. Well, I'm assuming you people have memory spans. 8D

-Recap stuff begins the ep. Rocks are broken, streets are destroyed by a Generic Beam Attack, people flee, an Aerodactyl uses an awesome attack, we see Zugaidos evolve into Rampard, and recap ends.
-Hyouta says stuff, and we get the obligatory SHINY GLASSES EFFECT.
-Obligatory crap about the battle rules and such ensues from the ref
-Brock and Hikari are watching the battle, and...hold on! Hikari's in a cheerleader's outfit, with pink pom-poms no less! And Mimilol and Pochama have said pom-poms as well! And Sudowoodo's there too for some reason. But enough about that. Did I mention that Pochama with pom-poms is adorable? ...oh hey, Greggle's there too, being its Greggly self.
-Brock question's Hikari's choice of attire, but it's DAIJOUBU...actually, Hikari didn't say daijoubu at all in her responce, which surprises me a bit.
-Cue cheerleader act! And THERE are the DAIJOUBUs! And Pochama's still cute as hell.
-Ash gives a line of thanks to Hikari, but enough of this "talking" and "character development". WE GOTS TO SEE MAGICAL BEINGS BEAT EACH OTHER UP!
-Speaking of which...HEEEEEEEEEEERE'S ONIX!
-And Ash's choice against the giant rock serpent is...Pikachu! AIM FOR THE SPRINKLERS!
-Ash orders a Quick Attack, and while Pikachu's taking care of that, Hyouta mentions that Normal attacks don't do much to Rock types, but Ash has a plan!
-Yes, as Onix's tail comes down for a Slam(I think?), Pikachu dodges and starts running up its body, and...Hyouta seems to get it! Something to do with speed, I think.
-But wait! Onix breaks out Screech, which looks surprisingly badass, but The Chu manages to grab onto its crest...thing...and...
-Onix starts whirling around to fling the yellow rat off!
-Ash has enough of that, and has Pikachu smack that ***** with an Iron Tail. Seeing a small rodent cause a giant rock snake pain with a hit of its tail is always fun!
-Hyouta orders Onix to use a Generic Glowing Tackle attack of some sort, and Ash has Pikachu go to meet it HEAD ON.
-Obligatory "combatants heading for each other in slow-ish motion" scene ensues.
-With that over with...SPINNING DODGE TIME! Yes, Ash stole Hikari's idea. And nobody cares!
-Hyouta babbles some more about Ash's strategy and why it's working. Guess the writers were sick of using Brock as the strategy explainer?
-Pikachu finishes its spin, TURNS AROUND IN MIDAIR, and uses Iron Tail. But wait! Onix counters with a Slam, and its sheer bulk overwelms the electric mouse's glowy tail slap.
-And thus Pikachu is slammed into a rock, which collapses on The Chu.
-Hyouta says more stuff, this time about his Onix's training. He seems to be hell-bent on stealing Brock's job!
-Hyouta orders a Stealth Rock, causing the obligatory "oh no!" reactions from the spectators. Including the Pokemon. Except for Greggle. And Brock explains stuff this time!
-In the nick of time, Ash orders a Thunderbolt which clears away all the rock around Pikachu AND deflects the Stealth Rock AND gives Onix a major zapping.
-Pikachu goes in for the kill with an Iron Tail, and succeeds before Onix manages to fire off a Screech.
-And it's down! Onix, that is. Although Pikachu is visibly worn out by this point. Despite, or perhaps because of, that, Mimilol's crush on Pikachu is reshown for the first time since WHEN?
-Hyouta babbles on AGAIN about how Ash won. Maybe it's just me, but Hyouta seems to be rather talkitive for a GL mid-battle. Oh, and Ash thanks Hyouta for his glowing review of Ash's winning strategy, which I find amusing for some reason.
-Stop! Geodude time!
-Ash calls Pikachu back, which confuses Hikari, who has to have the concept of "Pokemon tire out after battles like that" explained to her. Sheesh!
-And Ash's replacement Pokemon is...AIPOM!
-But enough about these "battles" and magical beings beating each other up for sport, it's time for Team Rocket!
-They whisper their motto as they sneak along towards a door, and finish loudly but hush each other anyway. Ah, those three.
-Meowth uses the little known lockpicking technique of "move a claw up and down a few times" to undo the lock, and there seems to be no one inside the building when TR enters...
-Wait, they're going into the Gym! But Greggle seems to be up to something...and it walks away with no one noticing or caring. No wonder it's creepy, nobody cares about it!
-Ash orders a Swift, but Hyouta slides up a bit and swings his arms into the classic "ready to punch someone" position before ordering a Rollout.
-More attacks happen. Aipom does the SPINNING DODGE too in order to dodge a Rollout. The spectators are impressed.
-Aipom uses a generic glowing punch attack on Geodude, and...the floating rock is DOWN!
-Ash's tagalongs are pleased, but Brock notes that two of Ash's three Pokemon are tired out from battling, and that's Hyouta's last Pokemon is you-know-what.
-Hyouta babbles on some more, Ash responds, and IT'S RAMPARD!
-Aipom stays in battle and uses Swift, but RAMPARD DOESN'T MOVE, which shocks and confuses the cheerleading section...even more so when the attack ends and Rampard is unscathed! GUESS IT'S NOT JUST THE HYPERATTACK DINO *NOW*.
-Rampard Headbutts Aipom...faster than the purple monkey can BEGIN to react to it. ZOMGWTFBBQ.
-Aipom is down for the count, and the cheerleading section makes the obligatory comments about how POWERFUL and FAST Rampard is. Then Hyouta says some stuff, and Hikari comments about something and Brock goes off on a tangent about the challenger's power and whatnot. And he mentions pressure, like he did before with Onix when it was using STealth Rock. Hrm.
-But enough about these "words." Pikachu is back in the fray!
-But enough about the impending battle. We have a Team Rocket to watch!
-They're wandering around, when...ZOMGREGGLE!
-Creepy pause ensues.
-TR freaks out and tries to convince Greggle not to kick their asses...
-Another creepy pause ensues.
-Greggle takes a few creepy steps(random note:there's no background music at this point, which makes everything THAT MUCH BETTER) and TR backs away from it.
-But enough about creepy frogs and crummy fiends(I mean that in the how well their plans work way), we gots a battle to watch!
-Pikachu launches a Generic Powerful Electric Attack, but Rampard dodges and its forehead starts to glow. HM.
-Pika tries the spinning dodge, but...IT GETS HURT ANYWAY. Hah!
-Pika lands, back smoking(apparently the energy field around Rampard's forehead singed Pika's fur?), and Rampard's still unhurt. The cheerleading section worries again.
-Another head to head collision is set up, but Pikachu dodges with a normal jump this time, which catches Rampard and Hyouta off guard and impresses the cheerleading section. A good move all around!
-Hyouta makes another comment before ordering Rampard to use its tail to throw off Pikachu. Which it doesn't and instead goes on a rampage that destroys half of Shinou. ...er, I meant, which it does, and Pikacu starts into an Iron Tail despite that.
-Rampard does the glowy forehead thing again, Iron Tail makes contact, bt Rampard shakes it off, does the glowy forehead thing AGAIN, which thusts Pikachu into a rock. There's ALWAYS a rock, people. Always.
-And The Chu is down!
-The cheerleading section worries again. It's mandantory!
-Brock says stuff about Naetle.
-But enough about the cheerleading section. TR's still stepping away from Greggle, you know!
-At this point, they've ended up back outside the gym, but Greggle keeps going towards them. You KNOW what it's planning. It's going stab their shoulders with a pointy stick, ram a pebble in their toes, bite their eyeballs, and bury them in a lake of ranch dressing. Nothing less will do.
-Jessie stops backing away to suggest that Greggle actually wants to be with them, which was a Very Bad Idea since Greggle STABS HER IN THE STOMACH shortly thereafter.
-James and Meowth pick up Jessie and run like hell...Jessie getting in a rather weak "yana kanji". It's mandantory!
-But enough about Greggle, which was so close to enacting its devious plot. We gots to watch a dinosaur fight with a small turtle!
-The animators blatently reuse animation in the scene afte Naetle's released and as Hyouta's commenting on it. You can tell by the ANIMATION MISTAKE.
-We get another rolling dodge. I'M GETTING SICK OF THEM DAR BARREL ROLLS.
-Rampard prepares to launch Naetle into the air with a tail flick, but...the turtle BITES Rampard's tail!
-Naetle, which ISN'T TOUCHING THE GROUND OR A WALL, spins Rampard around and THROWS IT AGAINST A rock. ...**** physics! But there's ALWAYS a rock, so at least they're consistant with that.
-The front row seats are duly impressed with this BLATENT DEFIAL OF PHYSICS.
-The writers then **** chemistry AND physics by having several small flat leaves fly through the air in a straight line and make contact with a steam of fire, with the result of the projectiles AND fire both stopping in their tracks. ...although you see something falling down shortly afterwards, so one could assume those are ashes.
-Rampard rams into Naetle with a Slightly Different Glowing Tackle attack, and Naetle crashes through a rock. THERE'S ALWAYS A ROCK, although it's not always as sturdy as the other rocks.
-Both combatants are pretty worn out at this point, so THERE'S AN END IN SIGHT.
-The sun's out. They're showing that. While Ash is using a Grass Pokemon. YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS.
-...oh, Naetle was just using Synthesis. Nice to see he still has his own cop out recovery move, at least!
-Ash ponders what he should do, and in a Rainbow Moment(I'm serious here!), he realizes what he has to do.
-...wtf Together. THIS IS NOT BATTLING MUSIC. D: TOO SLOW AND NON-DRAMATIC FOR IT.
-Naetle keeps using Razor Leaf. Rampard keeps using Flamethrower. Animation keeps using Recycle.
-Hyouta seem to realize what Ash is up to and has Rampard use the glowy forehead attack.
-Hyouta seems to see something coming and has Rampard jump, but Naetle rolls under!
-Rampard then gets RAZOR LEAFED IN THE STOMACH AT CLOSE RANGE. Well, it starts out close range but since the animators don't care about physics, it ends up going several feet in the air before crashing back down.
-AND RAMPARD IS DOWN!
-Ash finally wins, and the cheerleading section cheers. Greggle finally gets back before someone can notice it was gone to take care of "business."
-Ep ends with the group outside at sunset, since sunset provides the most dramatic lighting for a badge awarding.

Pika Hikari KT
3rd February 2007, 3:44 AM
Danger Anticipate. And it does--strangely enough--make a bit of sense.XD

TAKESHI used FLIRT!

It's SUPER EFFECTIVE!

Trained GREGGLE appeared!

GREGGLE used POISON STAB!

It's a one-hit KO!

TAKESHI fainted!

Greggle finally gets back before someone can notice it was gone to take care of "business."
Undertaker much(besides the type and size difference; there are some scary similarities)?XD

Although Pikachu is visibly worn out by this point. Despite, or perhaps because of, that, Mimilol's crush on Pikachu is reshown for the first time since WHEN?
The last episode.>_>

Weav-vile
3rd February 2007, 3:58 AM
Returning from a two-month hiatus, [...]

Yeah, you've been out, huh?
But you shouldn't, 'cause I enjoy so much your views of the episodes! Loled about everything in this one BTW! And I guess everyone here does love reading you! :D
Keep the good job next week, please!!! \o

- Nozomi

CyberCubed
3rd February 2007, 4:14 AM
The animation could have been a bit better but it was still well done. Pikachu beating Onix was well done so that put one of my worries to rest. I think I like Naetle a bit more now after watching this battle, he's still nothing compared to Treecko though.

Hikari as a cheerleader = WIN!

I wouldn't mind at all if she does this during every Gym battle...although she probably won't. :p

On this episode of Pokemon Gone Moderately Wild!, Hikari & co dress as cheerleaders.
Go non-mayness!

Wow, do you have to remind us of how annoying you Misty fans are every time you post? Hikari spent the first match just sitting there like Misty and May did, and put on the cheerleading clothes in the rematch to help Ash win.

Posting "Go non-mayness" only serves as a reminder of how annoying your kind really is.

Bliksem
3rd February 2007, 7:28 AM
I am just so very impressed with the skill they gave Hyouta. Typically, the anime portrays these leader figures with strategies and has Satoshi and co. try ways to get past. But this seems to be the reverse, with Hyouta showing his flexibility. Obviously, Hyouta pulled out all the stops in this battle, and as someone earlier mentioned, he didn't use Double Headbutt against Shinji. However, this could be potentially because Elekid ruined Zugaidos' ability to move swiftly (after the blow to its leg, it did not once use Reminiscant Headbutt).

Blatant breast-shot from Jessie as she recoiled from Greggle's Poison Stab. My eyes bled.

Darkness Angel
3rd February 2007, 8:14 AM
I liked pikachu's stance after he beat onyx.

ChaosMage
3rd February 2007, 11:28 AM
I just sure as hell hope the dubbers don't wimp out with Greggle. They surely can't edit his actions out... PLEASE?

CyberCubed
3rd February 2007, 5:18 PM
PUSA dubs the episodes edit free, so no worries.

I actually believe 4kids would lengthen Hikari's skirt in every episode if they were doing D/P.

Little Caterpie
3rd February 2007, 8:17 PM
Nice episode but music wasn't great.

Sodowoodo was funny^^

Hikari as a cheerleader was cute. Pochama and Mimiroru too.

I'm glad, Ash used Neatle and pokemon won a fight.

BTW, Onix vs Pikachu lol

S.Suikun
4th February 2007, 12:05 AM
I am just so very impressed with the skill they gave Hyouta. Typically, the anime portrays these leader figures with strategies and has Satoshi and co. try ways to get past. But this seems to be the reverse, with Hyouta showing his flexibility. Obviously, Hyouta pulled out all the stops in this battle, and as someone earlier mentioned, he didn't use Double Headbutt against Shinji. However, this could be potentially because Elekid ruined Zugaidos' ability to move swiftly (after the blow to its leg, it did not once use Reminiscant Headbutt).
Hyouta was definitely more energetic in this episode than in any of the 3 episodes before it. In his battle with Shinji, he showed about as much emotion as Shinji himself. In spite of the mediocre animation, however, his face and motions were far more expressive here.

CyberCubed
4th February 2007, 7:12 AM
Does anyone have a translation of what Hikari was saying during her cheerleader motto? (Crap, what do you call the lines a cheerleader says again, a motto...a cheer? I'm drawing a blank for some reason)

In any case, what exactly was she saying?

Geodude
4th February 2007, 8:05 AM
Yes, it's called a cheer. :p

SOS! Its Not Healthy..
4th February 2007, 5:12 PM
I don't know, but I actually really enjoyed this episode, and its actually a well played gym battle that we seen and all of the strategies were doable. One of the best gym battles in a while. I liked all the strategies that Ash laid out on Hyouta. And at the end of the battle, the Pokemon doing the little fighter pose that which that was awesome. Cute yet fierce! I've been catching on that Ash for some reason does BETTER without Shinji around, since when he is around, it causes him to lose focus. But thats just me, I don't know about the rest of yas.

And its the first time I seen anyone cheer for Ash in a gym battle. Hikari, Mimimoru, and Pochama with their little poms poms and Hikari in the cheer outfit. That was so cute! Now I wished they would let Hikari's hair down, because she would of been a lot cuter with her outfit.

Greggle was awesome with Team Rocket. I liked how it disappears and comes back without Brock realizing it was gone. Greggle knows about the danger like Spideman someone mentioned earlier. Poor Jessie, right up, yeah pretty close stabbed at the chest nearly. I was like, wow! I was laughing.

Overall. awesome episode, I hope DP keeps up with the gym battles like that.

squirtleboy12
4th February 2007, 5:15 PM
im glad that ash finally won

uber gon
4th February 2007, 8:54 PM
PUSA dubs the episodes edit free, so no worries.

I actually believe 4kids would lengthen Hikari's skirt in every episode if they were doing D/P.

And that's bad, how?

CyberCubed
4th February 2007, 9:11 PM
And that's bad, how?

People wouldn't like Hikari nearly as much if he skirt wasn't as short as it is. Good thing 4kids can't make it longer.

uber gon
4th February 2007, 9:19 PM
People wouldn't like Hikari nearly as much if he skirt wasn't as short as it is. Good thing 4kids can't make it longer.

Oh, alright...

Anyway, I digress, anyone think that Naetoru was using WITHDRAW when he was spinning beneath Rampard?

Deception
4th February 2007, 9:25 PM
Glad that Hikari's skirt will remain the same size.

uber gon
5th February 2007, 1:02 AM
Glad that Hikari's skirt will remain the same size.

I gues it COULD remain the same size. For all we know, the FCC may change something or the writers might do something.

Pokemon Fan
5th February 2007, 4:35 AM
I gues it COULD remain the same size. For all we know, the FCC may change something or the writers might do something.
Given that Jessie's "skirt" has always been even shorter and never gets edited (as far as I know), I don't see thsi happening.

People just notice Hikari more because her skirt is actually long enough to be instantly recognized as a skirt.

Really, people worry too much about edits. Even with 4kids it almost never happened (that is edits related to supposedly explicit content,weird word and food edits did happen).

uber gon
5th February 2007, 5:36 AM
Oh, alright...

Anyway, I digress, anyone think that Naetoru was using WITHDRAW when he was spinning beneath Rampard?

Could someone answer this, please?

Geodude
5th February 2007, 12:36 PM
No, it didn't. And be more patient about that, no need to ask the same question twice on one page.

PANCAKE
6th February 2007, 6:36 AM
I'm late getting my grubby little hand's on this episode, but I'll have at it:

First of people, I thought the choreographing was very sub par compaired to the Zugadoisu match. There were too many interuptions and very bland animation. It just didn't feel fluid. I didn't get any sense that the attacks were connecting like the other battle. Then again, the animators are shucking this cartoon out faster than a fat chick eating popcorn.

I wanted to see Aipom and Geodude duke it out fist-to-fist and my wishes weren't granted. Guess I was expecting a Mike Tyson fight, but whatever. And here we have Pikachu running up another monsters tails. And I swear, if I saw one more "rolling ballerina" dodge I would have stuck my finger down my throat. I'm not familiar with the animation directors, but for the love of all that is humane: Come back soon 484 guy/gal!

On a positive side, I really enjoyed Rampuardo's anime voice. It wasn't just some random Giant Bad A** voice, but more a lizardy/dinosaur sound. Now I can see how some people are aggravated when the dubs substitute the originals. (enlighten me S.Suikun)

The evolution power up of Reminiscant Headbutt was kinda sweet. Pikachu nearly got his goose cooked trying to attack while Rampuardo was using it.

errrrrrrrr.... That's it I suppose. Roserade without a doubt will make it's debut next gym battle (double Naetoru fight anyone?). Will that pretty bouquet get the same treatment as Zugadoisu's second battle? :confused:

Stage On
7th February 2007, 3:32 AM
Welp all in all I'd say that was a very good gym battle full of intresting twists and turns. Finally Ash has broken his losing streak and in doing so we get to see his skills as the advanced trainer he really is with his pokemon pulling off some sweet moves.

My only real complaint is that Tommorow makes louzy battle music. But thankfully the instramental music in the rest of the episode was spot on.

Anonymous Trainer
7th February 2007, 4:28 AM
Glad to see he finally won something major for the first time this season. It's funny how Satoshi's losing streak began when he switched from his AG outfit to his DP clothes. Gives you a slight suspicion...

flyboy1308
7th February 2007, 4:33 AM
Looks like they might actually develop the whole Pikachu+Mimirou idea. Nice.

Shikamaru Nara
7th February 2007, 5:01 AM
The DP clothes are bad luck for Satoshi.

uber gon
8th February 2007, 9:29 AM
Meh, the writers could make him improve somehow.

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th February 2007, 1:18 AM
I. Love. Rampard.

I didn't care for it much, but after seeing it in action and having it "prrrrrr", I really need to get one in my Pearl ASAP.

I say this was the best Rock Gym. No Plot Device Fire Safety Devices and no Pikachu hogging the spotlight. Heck, this may be the best first Gym Battle (I haven't watched the Falkner episode in awhile though)

CyberCubed
9th February 2007, 1:41 AM
It probably is the best, but I remember Falkner's being good too, I just haven't seen it in a long time.

Roxanne's was good, but nothing really that special. And Brock's barely even had a battle in it.

S.Suikun
9th February 2007, 1:45 AM
Falkner's match was pretty awesome, considering how since Ash didn't dump his Kanto pokes off at Oak's before heading to Johto, the writers armed Falkner with some pretty dang powerful Pokemon. His Dodrio was badass.

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th February 2007, 1:47 AM
I kinda wish he did dump his Kanto dudes. They seemed to really detract from his Johto Team.

flyboy1308
9th February 2007, 5:36 AM
I. Love. Rampard.

I didn't care for it much, but after seeing it in action and having it "prrrrrr", I really need to get one in my Pearl ASAP.

I say this was the best Rock Gym. No Plot Device Fire Safety Devices and no Pikachu hogging the spotlight. Heck, this may be the best first Gym Battle (I haven't watched the Falkner episode in awhile though)

Rampard isn't in Pearl. Only Diamond.

uber gon
9th February 2007, 8:18 AM
It probably is the best, but I remember Falkner's being good too, I just haven't seen it in a long time.

Roxanne's was good, but nothing really that special. And Brock's barely even had a battle in it.

Just shows that the writers are learning from their mistakes, at least.

terrova
18th February 2007, 8:54 AM
I'm sure that 6th gym leader in anime will be hyouta's father and it will have toridepusu, or shieldon that will evolve.

scizor08
25th May 2007, 12:26 PM
This is a greatest episode I've seen until this far..

Mello
2nd June 2007, 10:49 AM
*fangirlsqueal* I saw this episode, and Hyouta sounds so smexi! I can't wait to hear his dub voice... hopefully it isn't as bad as his dub name.

Neo Mario
5th June 2007, 8:38 PM
I did like how they made his team always change so you wouldn't know who you were about to fight

Blaziryu
4th July 2007, 2:26 AM
Man, this episode was wack. I seriously hate the writers of the show because they make Ash get away with too much sh*t. For instances, How the heck was Roark's Onix hurt by Pikachu's Thunderbolt when it didn't even set off the sprinkles like it did against Brock? And why didn't Rampardos's Flamethrower just go through Turtwig's Razor Leaf & directly hit it?

WaterDragon trainer
4th July 2007, 2:27 AM
This episode was great. It was great to see that Ash has his own personal cheerleader (*cough couch* Gary*). The part with Pikachu breaking Stealth Rock was pretty cool. I thought Geodude sounded a slightly robotic this time compared to his battle with Paul a couple episodes back. The spinning dodge Ash used with his pokemon was pretty cool. I found it cool when TR backed off when Croagunk advanced towards them. I found it funny when Croagunk hit Jessie with Poison Jab. I thought it was cool how Turtwig was able to throw Rampardos. It was cool how they played the theme song during the Turtwig-Rampardos battle. The gym battle was really cool. It was pretty funny how Croagunk just showed up at the end of the battle after making TR flee.

Drummerdude
4th July 2007, 2:39 AM
The theme song during the battle sort of ruined the whole moment for me, at least a new part of it was played. The dodging by spinning thing was cool at first, but got a little old after the Turtwig started doing it. The episode as a whole was pretty good, despite those few moments.

Almighty Zard
4th July 2007, 2:58 AM
The theme song during the battle sort of ruined the whole moment for me, at least a new part of it was played.

I'm suprised they did that to be honest, but hey it was pretty funny, and too be fair they did somewhat follow the original japanese episode by doing it.

Thunderpkmn
4th July 2007, 3:03 AM
Yea, the song did mess it up. The one thing I dint understand is why dint the flamethrower keep goin after it burned through the leaves? In any otha battle it wulda did that.

Somorio
4th July 2007, 3:07 AM
I liked evry minute of this episode, untill the theme song was played at the end, then I was like barf....

I don't particullarly like it when they put theme songs as battle music, unless it actually works, and Im sorry but that just does not work, I actually had to focus harder to hear what roark was saying.

but I still liked pikachus little samurai pose, croagunk killing jessie (jk) and rampardos himself, rampardos is cool, but also adorable in some poses, especially when rampardos uses flamethrower while sitting comfortably on the ground, just seeing that made me want to put one in my pearl version. aipom was good as always.

and does geodude still have teeth, I remember he ha teeth in shinji's battle but I don't remember if he did in this one ah well.

roark talking about comic books made me laugh too.

the only beef I had other than the theme song, was roarks obsessive need to explain evry move that happened in the battle instead of brock, I mean I don't mind if the sideline people are talkative, but the actuall battler seriously, tone down the talking and start battiling.

Rampardos is now my all time number 1 favorite rock type, although not that I like that many rock types anyway, but meh.

oh and one last thing, for rampardos being a rock type its tail was rather squishy, when turtwig bit down on it, kinda weird.

uncutpokemon
4th July 2007, 3:20 AM
i haven't seen the Japanese version of the episode yet (i plan to when i get a chance to download it though) so can someone tell me what was played in the Japanese version near the end of the battle? i will admit that while the dub using their lame rap was not the best idea, it sure did get me by surprise.

Kazekun
4th July 2007, 3:27 AM
I liked this epsiode. Though I didn't get the whole Croagunk thing. I also didn't understand how Pikachu wasn't able to defeat Rampardos when Pikachu should be 10x stronger than him, then Tutwig was able to. (the irony in this being Roark is the first gym new trainers battle in Sinnoh, so if Pikachu, who should be 10x stronger than Rampardos couldn't defeat him, how do you think other new trainers that are just starting out are gonna do against him?). But overall I liked this episode & found it amusing the Croagunk returned just in time for Brock not to notice he was gone. lol

S.Suikun
4th July 2007, 3:32 AM
i haven't seen the Japanese version of the episode yet (i plan to when i get a chance to download it though) so can someone tell me what was played in the Japanese version near the end of the battle? i will admit that while the dub using their lame rap was not the best idea, it sure did get me by surprise.
The DP intro theme - "Together".

It doesn't really feel like battle music, and it hasn't actually been used since, so maybe their music director realized how inappropriate it felt.

Korobooshi Kojiro
4th July 2007, 4:30 AM
Yeah, it's more of a song to play during a "fun montage".

Momogirl
4th July 2007, 6:30 AM
i think the part where the theme played WOULD have been epic...of the theme were actually cool XD

I liked the ep, i beat roark with a turtwig so really I wasnt surprized ash could do it, even if it was a rampardos XD he used some good strategy by going under. he must have some good communication with his pokemon in order to have them do specific things like that, he totally did good training.

I also liked how pikachu blew away the rocks too, hes tottally bad-a. the hurting the onix with the thunderbolt was odd..but then again it was prolly just stunning it more than hurting it.

G4Pokefan
4th July 2007, 6:44 AM
I enjoyed this episode. Still loving those battle animations like Double-edge and Screech.

I'm really liking the whole Pikachu/Buneary thing the writers got going on. After 10+ years of just being on Ash's shoulder and blasting off Team Rocket nearly every eppy, the writers are giving it a little life of it's own. It'd be cool to see how far this thing goes this generation!

The scenes with Croagunk and Team Rocket were hilarious! Croagunk is now another one of my favorite Pokemon in the anime!

ShinyManafi
4th July 2007, 6:54 AM
heheh, Croagunk scene again. I love it.

uncutpokemon
4th July 2007, 12:55 PM
The DP intro theme - "Together".

i figured as much! in which case, i will say that in addition to PUSA replacing the song with a slightly better song (during the climax of a battle rock & rollish music >>> whatever tybe of music "Together" even falls under the category of), i also think that this is a sign that the dub is starting to be handled more like the way it was handled during the 1st season (back when most of the music was kept, and the Japanese openings were simply replaced with their crappy English equivalents) i wonder if this is a sign?

Medea
4th July 2007, 2:20 PM
-Very clever with the title pun yesterday. It only works if it's the day before Independence Day and you live in the U.S.
-Croagunk! You've got to love it! Whether it's beating Team Rocket or supplying comic relief!
-Dawn in the cheerleaders outfit made me have some ugly flashbacks! You know the ones:
"Gary, Gary, he's the best"
Yeah, those ones!
-The battle was great, all the way up until Rampardos vs Turtwig and they played that bullcrap theme song. Found it WAY TOO ANNOYING!

Wynaut?
4th July 2007, 3:45 PM
Croagunk's scenes were great, I loved how Brock didn't even notice it was gone :p

Great battle, especially Turtwig v Rampardos. Would've liked Sudowoodo to join in with the cheerleading though. :D

9/10

wagnerelli
4th July 2007, 4:12 PM
Good episode, only one problem:
Is it just me or does Roark's voice sound terrible? It sounds so forced and strange.

Anko
4th July 2007, 4:37 PM
It surprised me when the opening music started. It was distracting.

spongeaud
4th July 2007, 4:44 PM
I know a lot of people hate to hear this but Asah can battle I like how he adated to the situation hes getting a lot better and crouank seems like a powerful pokemon that know one knows about taking out team rocket without doin much and without needin brock it makes me laguh.

Venusaur Master
4th July 2007, 8:54 PM
The episode was good, I thought the battle between Aipom and Geodude was very short, the US theme song at the last battle was too loud I could barely hear the battle commands it would have been better just to here the japanese tune.

CabbyFish
4th July 2007, 9:32 PM
For another gym battle episode, I suprised less original music made it in. I pretty sure I heard more original music in DP16 than this one. Oh well...

The episode itself is good (you just gotta love Turtwig throwing its weight around if you catch my drift). The whole thing in which Ash learns a lot from what Dawn did, that's great. Suprised how Rampardos falls so easily from Turtwig, yet Pikachu struggles just to inflict damage. I mean, come on. Pikachu's way more skillful than that.

Geodude
4th July 2007, 11:50 PM
Against Rampardos you mean? Have you forgotten that Pikachu had already taken heavy damage from the first round? -_-

The Croagunk/TR scenes almost stole the spotlight from the rest of the episode. Good thing the battle was so good.

CabbyFish
5th July 2007, 12:47 AM
Against Rampardos you mean? Have you forgotten that Pikachu had already taken heavy damage from the first round? -_-

The Croagunk/TR scenes almost stole the spotlight from the rest of the episode. Good thing the battle was so good.

No, I didn't forget.

I think Pikachu only got what, 1 attack in? Even when Pikachu's weak, it's usually able to last longer in tough matches (like against Piloswine and Regice for example).

It's just when Turtwig came out, it seemed like Ash was running along easy street. I guess the writers wanted to showcase how strong Turtwig could be (which would make a lot of sense, but still...).

Yeah, the Croagunk part was good. The best thing about it... Brock never even noticed Croagunk dissappeared to face Team Rocket.

cassius335
5th July 2007, 11:25 AM
i figured as much! in which case, i will say that in addition to PUSA replacing the song with a slightly better song (during the climax of a battle rock & rollish music >>> whatever tybe of music "Together" even falls under the category of), i also think that this is a sign that the dub is starting to be handled more like the way it was handled during the 1st season (back when most of the music was kept, and the Japanese openings were simply replaced with their crappy English equivalents) i wonder if this is a sign?

The Bidoof/Steelix ep is going to be interesting, just to see if they play some form of the Battle Frontier theme.

(*snickers imagining Piplup contest-battling Prinlup to the tune of "I Wanna Be a Hero"*)

scissorX
5th July 2007, 3:02 PM
This episode is one of my favourites so far. More Rampardos screentime, and Ash battling to the best of his abilities. Seeing him utilise a move he learnt from Dawn was so good, it was nice to see him incorporate this into his battle.

Turtwig owned, the little thing can pack a punch. And having the opening theme music was brilliant, went really well with the battle. Great episode.

Reign G
5th July 2007, 11:26 PM
(*snickers imagining Piplup contest-battling Prinlup to the tune of "I Wanna Be a Hero"*)

Actually, they sometimes seem to keep the Japanese Openings when it's just the music. They kept Advance Adventure when Ash battled Paul in the forest.

---

I must be the only one here who LIKES the DP Dub Theme and was glad to hear it in the fight. Also, the best line was Roark's: "Between battles I don't just sit around reading comic books, Ash."

Pearl's Perap
6th July 2007, 2:29 AM
A much better episode than the previous two, I actually enjoyed Ash's strategies, unlike his first battle against Roark.

Rampardos, well, what can I say, it is amazing, though at one point, I noticed something...odd...so I went back and discovered some wrong colouring (http://i13.*******.com/5xh5ogw.png)

The music was good up until near the end where they played the dub theme, it was cheesy and unneeded in my eyes.

Croagunk makes me love it more and more each time it is shown, though it doesn't really even DO much, it's whole persona is great.

7/10

Knight_Ram
7th July 2007, 2:04 AM
The battle wasn't too bad. They also had good explanations to why Ash was having those little tricks up his sleeve. It was great. The worst thing that could have happened was the intro music being played during the epic battle.

That killed the whole episode for me. The battle - 8/10 The intro music during the battle - 3/10

TheBuddyBud
8th July 2007, 4:16 AM
When the intro played, I laughed so hard.

uber gon
8th July 2007, 6:56 AM
When the intro played, I laughed so hard.

It can't be THAT bad, can it?

Anyone 4 Buttons?
8th July 2007, 11:01 PM
I'm actually liking Croagunk's randomness quite a bit actually, although I want him to leave Brock alone so he could at least get one girl sometime...

This gym battle was far better than the first one, due to it being different from the battle that Paul had. My one gripe about it is the overuse of the newly learnt ability to 'dodge' gracefully by spinning, I hope in future episodes that ability is used sparingly.

GonbeTR
9th July 2007, 12:05 AM
This gym battle is good. I like that Ash learns something from Dawn. Her spinning dodge methods aren't very interesting but I like that a new co-ordinator can develop some original strategies and an experienced trainer can learn these.
I love Gregguru's (Croagunk's) scenes with Team Rocket.

09Murphym
9th July 2007, 1:06 PM
when was the last time that the theme song played during the episode?

Geodude
9th July 2007, 10:53 PM
It's happened many times with the various English themes.

npdargy312
18th July 2007, 9:55 AM
w00t Ash won

SpongeBoblover
7th November 2007, 4:08 AM
I thought Dawn looked nice in her Cheerleading outfit:D

Sharks Shouldn't Fly
28th February 2008, 1:46 AM
I wasn't a big fan of this gym battle. >> Though it wasn't too bad.

But Roark's a cutie. :3

bhrettzerda053
26th March 2008, 4:20 AM
It's impossible that Hyouta(Roark)evolved his Cranidos into a Rampardos after battling Team Rocket, that's because in Diamond/Pearl, some of Roark's Pokemon didn't evolve yet because they remained at the same level like the next 7 of the Sinnoh gym leaders.
Back to the episode, (Satoshi)Ash seems to have recalled on his previous battle. He lost to it, right??? In that rematch, he wins that first badge.

wobbanut
23rd August 2008, 9:42 PM
At least the rematch was an improvement over Ash's first battle, including the spin-and-dodge technique he learned from Dawn and the iron tail attacks. Plus, the part where Croagunk went after Team Rocket and came back without Brock even noticing he was gone was funny. :)

I also liked that they named this episode appropriately for the 4th of July, even though I didn't see it till a few weeks later.

Tadashi
8th November 2008, 10:50 AM
Not to mention the end of the win was one of Pikachu's most HARDCORE.:cool: :p With it standing completely still as Onix crashes to the ground directly behind it like the Men in Black facing a falling spaceship. Mimirol had a right to blush in sheer fangirl joy. :D

Totally agreed. Pikachu did an awesome job! :D And so did Turtwig.

All in all, a decent episode.

Torpoleon
15th November 2008, 12:41 AM
Yay!Ash got hs first badge!All of his Pokemon did good!

Blue Snover
18th November 2008, 11:26 AM
I'm surprised that Ash didn't manage to win the first time, but he got there in the end, Croagunk makes me laugh, because it just stands there and you have no idea what it's thinking, then it strikes.

Poor Team Rocket, they never seem to get a break.

TurtwigFan1
10th December 2008, 8:16 PM
Great episode, Gym battle was fabulous and Croagunk was funny with Team Rocket.

Igottapoo
6th January 2009, 10:41 AM
Rampardos seemed a little too ridiculously of a strong Pokemon to battle Ash this early. Entertaining, nonetheless.

Rommath
11th February 2009, 7:16 PM
Rampardos put up a very good fight I thought. Then again, it's a fairly strong Pokemon in the games too. Croagunk's antics made me laugh, as they quite often do. Glad Ash won in the end. Though it was inevitable that he would.

(s.i.e)
10th March 2009, 2:59 PM
roark is one of my favorite gym leaders in the D/P series, sadly he lost but it was for the best since it wouldn't be fun if ash would be stuck there forever.

ccangelopearl1362
25th March 2009, 10:06 PM
(humming "The Star-Spangled Banner" for few seconds, then chuckling triumphantly) My soul was thoroughly warmed during this episode, between Dawn's cheerleading routine (for Ash) and the reference to America's national anthem within days of this country's 231st birthday. Perhaps Brock's Croagunk will continue sensing trouble from Team Rocket whenever Ash has a new gym battle to strategize for, scaring those three comical thieves away in the process. It's a good thing that Ash won that Coal Badge in the end, so that he is seven badges away from competing in the Sinnoh League.

Littlemyuu
27th April 2009, 4:58 PM
Nice episode, Gym battles are always my favorite..and this is also my fave gymleader

S.Suikun
26th May 2009, 5:17 AM
While the previous two matches against Hyouta were both fantastic, the repetition really starts to sink in here. Combined with some rather questionable moments on the whole, Satoshi's victory in Kurogane is a whole lot less thrilling than his loss. For once, we've already seen Hyuota's Pokemon strut their stuff more than once before, and they fail to do anything special here. That even includes Rampard. Admittedly, that is this battle's biggest falling - deja vu. Even with Pikachu's new strategy against Onix, the atmosphere feels really dry in combination with some anticlimatic music and animation. I said it in early 2007, and I'll say it again - "Together" just doesn't set a battle mood like prior openings, and it's easy to see why it was never again used for a big battle.

While the Pikachu and Aipom bouts are rather stale, Naetle's bout against Rampard makes for perhaps the most tilted Sinnoh gym match. Rampard seems to have taken a power nerf from its Zugaidos stage, not only being less aggressive, but going down in a whopping two blows from Naetle. This is made less believable by the fact that no matter how many hits Satoshi previously landed on Zugaidos, the thing took eons to go down. Additionally, Naetle has never been proven strong enough to lift up something as heavy as Rampard with its mouth, nor has it since, even in its Hayashigame stage. No unique strategy is really utilized here, and while it's not the BS victory that has been a select few past gyms, it's definitely the weakest installment of the Kurogane arc.

C

Shadow XD001
5th June 2009, 12:58 AM
Too bad Paul didn't watch this match. Man, that spin move rocks! Also, the writers really like to have their titles like the lyrics from the star spangled banner.

TorterraGuy
5th June 2009, 10:24 PM
Well this episode definatly proved Turtwig's potential. I was just as surprised as everone else when I saw Turtwig flip Rampardos.

STICKTOPIA
14th July 2009, 5:17 AM
I like how they had the Diamond and Pearl theme in this. I hope I hear it in another episode although I doubt it.

Lorde
13th December 2009, 6:20 PM
I like how they had the Diamond and Pearl theme in this. I hope I hear it in another episode although I doubt it.

You mean that sorry excuse for a opening theme in the dubbed version? It wasn't very good in my opinion. The Japanese version used the Japanese Opening theme which was much better. I think this Gym battle was a little too difficult for Ash. He was just starting out in Sinnoh and Roark has a strong offensive type like Rampardos. Ash won of course but it was too intense for a first gym battle so I wasn't a fan. 5/10.

Ash-kid
15th December 2009, 12:03 PM
Great gym battle, i loved Rampardos.

Turtwig was great, he was quite strong, it defeated twice Rampardos, once as a Cranidos.

And Aipom was fine.

KGB13
16th January 2010, 5:19 AM
Wow! Great battle! I'm glad Ash finally won and I'm glad Croagunk prevented TR from interrupting. But Onix being hurt by Pikachu's Thunderbolt was complete crap. Turtwig's acrobatics, speed, and strength are quite impressive. Ash was really using his brain in this battle. Great episode.

Willow's Tara
31st May 2010, 8:59 AM
I am not a big fan of Rampardos really, or aleast in the anime I dunno it's something with the eyes being red, I can't really explain it (I have no problem with some who has red eyes) but anyways it's still a good battle, glad Ash got his first badge in Sinnoh.

wind21
23rd June 2010, 1:35 AM
Well, continuing on with the reviews (these are kind of fun, if only b/c probably no more than 3 people are ever going to read them).

This episode is Ash's rematch with Roark, and the debut of Ash's use of Dawn's spinning technique that he pulls out pretty often in Sinnoh. Once again, the best battle here for me is Pikachu vs. Onix, as it definitely feels a bit personal (I think like Pikachu vs Vigoroth back in Hoenn). But Roark is no pushover, and even with Ash using the spinning technique, he and Pikachu are taken by surprise by Onix's speed, and Pikachu is blasted into a rock. Rather than go on the offensive, Roark orders stealth rock, and this turns out to be the turning point in the match as Pikachu lets loose a thunderbolt, destroying the stealth rock before it can come into play and also stunning Onix (be lenient, it's pretty cool). Pikachu then finishes Onix off with an Iron Tail-winning bonus points with Buneary, too. Ha ha. But enjoy this match if you're a Pikachu fan, b/c it's the electric mouse's finest heroic moment in a gym battle until the last gym (and this one here vs Onix is definitely more dramatic).

That's the turning pt in the gym battle, and you never feel like Ash is going to lose after that. I want to point out that this ends a very difficult period for Ash in terms of important matches. Going back to the battle frontier, Ash needed 2 tries to beat Anabel, 3 to beat Brandon (having to pull out all the stops here), was humiliated by Gary, split with Paul, then had a loss to Paul, and finished it off with a tough defeat to Roark. Things really haven't gone that well for our hero, but you have to hand it to him for not getting too down on himself and being able to keep moving forward. He rides along pretty well for the rest of Sinnoh up until his full battle with Paul (even then, it's not much of a confidence crisis for Ash, although Dawn thinks it is and tries to cheer him up). There are things for him to figure out, particularly Fantina, but I always believed he was going to do it. He probably always believed he was going to come through, as well. It's interesting to note this, b/c Dawn has her own tough streak coming up soon, and one thing I'm supposedly doing in these reviews is pointing out the balance the writers have tried to use in making Dawn like Ash vs. her as a starting coordinator.

All right, a few comments on Ash's battling style. This time around, he gets more praise from Dawn, who's impressed at Ash's modifications to her spinning move during the battle (Roark catches on to the original move and starts making adjustments/assumptions, which Ash is able to use to his advantage a few times- the last of which allows Turtwig to land a powerful razor leaf on a leaping Rampardos to win the match).
Also want to mention Ash's decision to order Turtwig to use Razor Leaf on Rampardos as it uses Head Smash, which turns out to be a complete mistake as Head Smash protects Rampardos until it lands a quite brutal hit on Turtwig. It's a bit of reckless move, but it fits right in with Ash's character as well, and I think it's a great way of showing Ash's thinking process as he's trying to figure out how to connect with Razor Leaf through Rampardos's flamethrower defense.

One other small note is that this episode tries out a gag with Croagunk wandering off and stopping Team Rocket inside the gym. I think it's used one other time, but, anyway, it doesn't become a staple.

saar
9th July 2010, 1:59 PM
Rampardos could have just easily beat also Turtwig, but Ash was smart enough to exploit the type advantage and to win.
Pikachu again beaten a Rock type pokemon. It became very good VS those.

~Platinum~
28th July 2010, 3:40 AM
Ash gets his first gym badge. Yay. Pikachu gets its revenge on Onix, just like at the Pewter Gym. Yay. Croagunk was amazingly funny in this episode. YAY!
The gym battle was fairly interesting, but a little boring after watching Paul's gym battle and Ash's first gym battle. Especially considering the only suprising thing about the match was the spin technique, which was showcased in the last episode.
I found it rather funny how Roark was suprised that more than one member of Ash's team knew the spin technique. But that was nowhere near as funny as Croagunk in this episode. It sensing Team Rocket was actuallya hint to it's Anticipation ability, which is pretty interesting.
Well, it took Ash long enough but he finally got his first gym badge. :)

Painkiller2001
7th November 2010, 6:50 PM
I've been catching on that Ash for some reason does BETTER without Shinji around, since when he is around, it causes him to lose focus. But thats just me, I don't know about the rest of yas.

I think he does better when Paul's not watching, too. With Paul not around, he becomes less nervous and is able to concentrate more on the battle at hand, and concentrate less on the "I'll show you who's pathetic!" aspect.

So, Ash wins his first Sinnoh gym badge. Good for him!

I was never that crazy about Rampardos until I saw this episode. Now it's actually not a bad Pokemon. *wishes he had one in his Platinum team*

What's with some rock gym leaders always having one of the their Pokemon as Onix, anyway? Not that that's a bad a thing. Just wondering... I forget, Did Roxanne have one?

Lance The Champ
26th November 2010, 3:16 PM
Those spinning dodges which Ash's pokemon made were brilliant. That enabled him to win the battle against such powerful pokemon

G50
27th April 2011, 7:01 AM
This episode was very cool. It was great that all 3 of Ash's Gym Battle Pokemon got to defeat each of Roark's Pokemon. The spinning moves by Ash's Pokemon worked really well. It was cool that even after Pikachu took a wicked hit, was able to use Thunder to break free of the rocks and break up Stealth Rock. Very fitting that Iron Tail on Onix's head finished it off. Aipom's Focus Punch attack was cleverly used to knock out Geodude. Having Turtwig run and using Razor Leaf then spinning underneath Rampardos to finish it off with Razor Leaf attack was a great strategy.

95/100

BurningSociety12345543210
16th June 2012, 10:08 PM
Minus the "lol look were are SPINNING IN MID AIR" crap, this gym battle was great.

Dawn+Serena Fan
26th September 2014, 8:24 PM
This gym battle was great, one of my favorite DP gym battles. I love how Ash used Dawn's spinning move in this battle, it really made the battle more interesting, especially with the last part with Turtwig's spin. I also thought that Dawn cheerleading for Ash was pretty funny.
10/10

Lorde
26th November 2014, 11:50 PM
Pikachu using that spin strategy that it stole learned from Dawn to finally bring down Roark's Onix after flopping last time made me cheer. I liked seeing Aipom using Double Team against Geodude and that Turtwig got to slay Roark's Rampardos at the end. Also, seeing Croagunk confront Team Rocket and stop them from causing trouble was great.

Painkiller2001
12th December 2014, 4:30 AM
I like how Croagunk can sense when Team Rocket is up to no good. :)
Even funnier was when Brock never noticed he was gone.