PDA

View Full Version : Question about thread titles

Amoeba
6th March 2007, 10:40 AM
I was just curious as to why it's not possible to change the title of a thread you started. You can see the change inside the topic, but looking at it from outside it has not changed. Is this deliberate, if so, may I ask why?

Virtual Headache
6th March 2007, 11:53 AM
Because there is a difference between changing the title of a post and a thread.
When you edit a post, you can only edit the post's title.
You need to contact a mod if you want as thread title to be changed.

XD375
6th March 2007, 3:45 PM
I think he's wondering why it is so wrong to change them in the first place. I'm actually wondering too, seeing as how you can do it on most other vBulletin forums.

Angeling
6th March 2007, 5:59 PM
And I propose this question: Why do you NEED to change a thread's title? You don't NEED to do it, but you just WANT to be able to do it. Why? If we enabled that, maybe it won't be used much, maybe it'd be abused. You never know. But really, enabling members to change thread titles won't do much, in my opinion. And even so, it might confuse others if you do so.

So I ask: Why do you NEED to change one? Is it that hard to PM the mod of the section to change it for you?

Amoeba
6th March 2007, 11:05 PM
And I propose this question: Why do you NEED to change a thread's title? You don't NEED to do it, but you just WANT to be able to do it. Why? If we enabled that, maybe it won't be used much, maybe it'd be abused. You never know. But really, enabling members to change thread titles won't do much, in my opinion. And even so, it might confuse others if you do so.

So I ask: Why do you NEED to change one? Is it that hard to PM the mod of the section to change it for you?

Not that it's needed, I've never heard of it being abused anywhere else, there may be no need to do it, but then there's no need for many features really that get abused but are still available. It's convenient in some aspects, and can't harm to be enabled. If there's a good reason why it's not enabled, fair enough, but I haven't yet seen one.