PDA

View Full Version : Borrowing on Bad Faith! (490)

Serebii
9th March 2007, 3:31 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/490.jpgBorrowing on Bad Faith!

On their way to Floaroma City, Ash & Co. come across another Pokémon Contest. Dawn is eager to enter and try to get her own ribbon. While playing, Aipom gets caught on a cliff and is saved by Jessie. Jessie soon requests to Ash that she can use Aipom in the Contest, to which Ash agrees. Who will win?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/shinou/490.shtml)

Discuss

Lupin
9th March 2007, 6:44 PM
Was this an offical contest then because if I'm looking at the pictures right, then Jessie actually won this one?

TeddiUrsa
9th March 2007, 7:07 PM
No, it wasn´t an official one.

The judges were a Joy and some other, older guy. the points-bar was on a mobile-TV and it wasn´t held in a contest hall but outside instead.

the other coordinators looked kinda inexperienced. One girl fell asleep because of her own sleep-powder appeal ^^ ( maybe it was part of the appeal..?)

the set up of this contests was just like Ash´s and May´s in Kanto.

Only one battle at the end.

CyberCubed
9th March 2007, 7:38 PM
Wow, so they just rehashed the same concept from the Ash Vs. May Contest?

Great to see Jessie win, however.

Hikari losing two Contests in a row was a smart decision by the writers, she really is just a newbie, there's no reason she should be winning Contests this early on. I'm glad to see Hikari lose two times in a row, and it makes sense for her characerisation.

I have to see this in motion before I fully comment.

Almighty Zard
9th March 2007, 8:00 PM

Her win ain't really special or anything though, after all it wasn't an official contest for a ribbon so it's not as impactful as you would think...too bad she's never going to win a real contest.

Hikari losing two Contests in a row was a smart decision by the writers, she really is just a newbie, there's no reason she should be winning Contests this early on.

Wasn't very impactful for her either, the only way it could have been more impactful, is if it had been a real contest.

Also, she's more than likely still set to get her first ribbon in the upcoming contest, and that's still way earlier than May.

I'm glad to see Hikari lose two times in a row, and it makes sense for her characerisation.

It helped her bond with her squirrel more, seemed to me though that was drowned out by Ash's constant tripping in the episode over Jessie possibly taking his aipom away.

TeddiUrsa
9th March 2007, 8:08 PM

I guess it is more of a new rule how unofficial contests are held than a rehash.

the animation was really lackluster...the preview didn´t lie to us.

the battle between Jessie and Hikari was far from being impressive.
The appeals were terrible in my opinion...really, the episode had potential but the outcome was a bit dissapointing.

at least ash got a few nice scenes which is rarly seen outside of gym-battles.

and...like I said already in the speculation thread:

Jessie´s victory over Hikari felt so...empty without TR having the bananas...

A ending scene with TR eating the Bananas would have been nice, but I guess the "bad guys" can´t have it all.
At least Jessie owned Hikari in every single way

Nekagi
9th March 2007, 8:10 PM

Hikari losing two Contests in a row was a smart decision by the writers, she really is just a newbie, there's no reason she should be winning Contests this early on. I'm glad to see Hikari lose two times in a row, and it makes sense for her characerisation.

I have to see this in motion before I fullu comment.

Don't talk about Hikari that way. She is one of the 3 human leads in the show, the other 2 being Ash and Brock.

CyberCubed
9th March 2007, 8:14 PM
Don't talk about Hikari that way. She is one of the 3 human leads in the show, the other 2 being Ash and Brock.

What are you talking about? Do you understand the difference between bashing and saying something is good for her characterisation? What do you guys want, Hikari to be a Mary Sue?

Having Hikari lose two Contests in a row, (even if this one wasn't official), was a smart decision by the writers because it hits it home that Hikari is just a beginning trainer.

Jessie has tons more Contest and battle experience than Hikari, was using Aipom, and was long overdue for a win. Hikari was using her newly caught Pachirisu, and this is only her second (kinda) Contest.

While Hikari will almost definitely win the next Contest, I'm glad she lost her two first ones. They did it differently than May's beginning, and it prevents her from being a Mary Sue.

Almighty Zard
9th March 2007, 8:22 PM
What are you talking about? Do you understand the difference between bashing and saying something is good for her characterisation? What do you guys want, Hikari to be a Mary Sue?

Do you want her to copy May stride for stride in every single thing she does, or do you want her to be original?

Having Hikari lose two Contests in a row, (even if this one wasn't official), was a smart decision by the writers because it hits it home that Hikari is just a beginning trainer.

So what if she is a newbie, your acting like your tring to put her beneath May, like your afraid she's going to top what May did.

Jessie has tons more Contest and battle experience than Hikari, was using Aipom, and was long overdue for a win. Hikari was using her newly caught Pachirisu, and this is only her second (kinda) Contest.

Jessies win isn't as special since it wasn't an offcial contest, not to mention she didn't use her own pokemon to do it.

While Hikari will almost definitely win the next Contest, I'm glad she lost her two first ones. They did it differently than May's beginning, and it prevents her from being a Mary Sue.

It doesn't really matter that she lost though, it wasn't an official contest so the impacts on both sides can not possibly be as big as anyone thinks, sure it helped her get a little devlopment and helped her bond with Pachirisu, but overall it wasn't an official contest therefore it doesn't hinder her status.

CyberCubed
9th March 2007, 8:30 PM
Do you want her to copy May stride for stride in every single thing she does, or do you want her to be original?

Original. Which is why I'm glad she lost her first two Contests. (technically)

So what if she is a newbie, your acting like your tring to put her beneath May, like your afraid she's going to top what May did.

Hikari is battling better than May did at this point and her appeals are better, which is why I'm glad the writers handed her two major losses. It hits home that just because she can battle, it doesn't mean she's a force to reckon with just yet. Since before this ep aired I thought this was a real Contest and that Hikari was going to win, I'm glad I was proven wrong.

Jessies win isn't as special since it wasn't an offcial contest, not to mention she didn't use her own pokemon to do it.

Doesn't matter, it was just nice to see someone with more coordinator experience (Jessie) take out someone who has only been in 1 real Contest before. Jessie needed a win for a long time, too bad it wasn't a real Contest.

It doesn't really matter that she lost though, it wasn't an official contest so the impacts on both sides can not possibly be as big as anyone thinks, sure it helped her get a little devlopment and helped her bond with Pachirisu, but overall it wasn't an official contest therefore it doesn't hinder her status.

A loss is still a loss, just like Ash's horrible losing streak since he entered Shinou.

Hikari is a beginning trainer, she shouldn't be as good a battler as any of the former major characters just yet.

Ludi-Kero!
9th March 2007, 8:39 PM
Well, this episode was good. It had its moments.

The worst thing about the episode is the animation. In some scenes, it looked like... strange... but in a bad way.

Jessie winning was a very nice touch. Using Aipom to make the appeals and the battle with almost perfection, despite it being a "new" pokémon, made a great improve in Jessie, I think.

The appeal round was more fun than cool. Pachirisu' shyness and electrical appeals were good, Aipom's "dance" was funny like the others coordinators appeals (Hitmontop & Paras cameo!). Like the battle, could have been better.

Jessie owned Hikari hard in the battle. Very hard. The battle could have been better if it were a little bit longer....

However, the Jessie/Aipom interaction thing, Ash's scenes about Jessie/Aipom and Jessie finally winning something make this episode good, but not as good as others.

Almighty Zard
9th March 2007, 8:41 PM
Original. Which is why I'm glad she lost her first two Contests. (technically)
Yet you complained when she got further than May did on her first contest not to mention complained when she got pachirisu, and kept saying she shouldn't had gotten anything until after the third gym, kinda like how May didn't get skitty until then, and don't even get me started on Piplup and the rabbit.

Hikari is battling better than May did at this point and her appeals are better, which is why I'm glad the writers handed her two major losses.
You proved my point, your jealous of her preforming better than May and want her to suffer because of it.

Doesn't matter, it was just nice to see someone with more coordinator experience (Jessie) take out someone who has only been in 1 real Contest before. Jessie needed a win for a long time, too bad it wasn't a real Contest.
Yeah it does matter, when she uses her own pokemon, and wins an official contest, then i might be impressed with TR,kinda like how james won the whatever it was called contest with HIS OWN Mime jr, winning a mock contest with someone elses pokemon ain't impressive at all.

Nekagi
9th March 2007, 8:46 PM

I'm sorry. I just don't entirely like how the writers plan these things. Some fans like it, but others don't.

CyberCubed
9th March 2007, 8:46 PM
Yet you complained when she got further than May did on her first contest not to mention complained when she got pachirisu, and kept saying she shouldn't had gotten anything until after the third gym, kinda like how May didn't get skitty until then, and don't even get me started on Piplup and the rabbit.

Getting further in her first Contest made her look too Mary Sue-ish I thought. Remember, she battled some kid before she fought Nozomi, but the writers didn't show us that battle. So she already won one Contest match against some filler boy, too bad the writers didn't show us what happened.

So with this Contest, things evened out a bit.

You proved my point, your jealous of her preforming better than May and want her to suffer because of it.

lol, no. She's a newbie! When Ash was a newbie, he constantly lost battles. When May was a newbie, she lost a ton as well. Hikari being a bit better than Ash/May at the start is fine, as long as they don't go overboard with it. Jessie has more battle experience than Hikari, thus Jessie won, what's the big deal?

Yeah it does matter, when she uses her own pokemon, and wins an official contest, then i might be impressed with TR,kinda like how james won the whatever it was called contest with HIS OWN Mime jr, winning a mock contest with someone elses pokemon ain't impressive at all.

Well we can say Aipom is stronger than Pachirisu, at least. And Jessie still knew how to command it.

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th March 2007, 9:04 PM
Besides the horrible animation, I found this quite entertaining for a filler.

However, I was freaked out and horrified by Aipom's lewd humping of Jessie's face after she saved it...

Not really, I laughed out loud for half-a-minute.

The ending, despite being a little unfair to Team Rocket...was pretty cute.

Mythic Mist
9th March 2007, 9:38 PM
I don't know why, but this episode felt like a kanto episode @_@

nap*
9th March 2007, 9:45 PM
This episode was ok, but as good as it could have been.The funny things were Jessie defying gravity and Parichisu >_< face and that's about it really.
And the movie style credits were really weird.

S.Suikun
9th March 2007, 9:49 PM
I've already shared my thoughts in the speculation thread, but just to reiterate, this contest was total weaksauce, official or not. yeah, the concept was actually kind of interesting, and actually letting Jessie win for once was fantastic, but as a contest episode, it failed to deliver any entertaining appeals, battles, or decent animation.

I don't know why, but this episode felt like a kanto episode @_@
I agree, as the battle was weak and the episode on the whole was pretty dang mediocre. Just like the "good old days".

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th March 2007, 10:20 PM
It probably was that BGM when they announced the winners of the appeal round, which is from good old Kanto (the good ol' days...:p).

I'll admit, my nostalgia slightly got giddy at hearing it.

kewlmyc
9th March 2007, 11:04 PM
Hehe, Jessie didn't beat Hikari, she pwnd Hikari. I haven't seen it yet but it looked like it was a Perfect Victory.

Ash6K
9th March 2007, 11:07 PM
Ash thinking of losing Aipom was kinda sad yet funny at the same time. I mean him worrying about such a thing and getting all mopey about it.

I liked how Jessie won something, official contest or not, because James just got some good screentime in the pokeringer episode and also won the orienteering. It's about time Jessie went to a contest final where the main character hasn't and now wins the unofficial contest.

AshfanGirl20
10th March 2007, 12:08 AM
I'm glad Jessie pawned Hikari in the contest even though it wasn't offical. It was def a nice thing, Ash lending Aipom to Jessie was nice and I liked seeing Ash be all wanting AipomXD
The animation was horrible and the battle wasn't that great but other than that LOL.

SOS! Its Not Healthy..
10th March 2007, 4:22 AM
Just finished watching it, and I liked it better than last week's episode. Although it wasn't all the greatest episode, it was decent. Ash kinda made me laugh that Aipom was going to leave him for Jessie, especially that one scene when he was crying and moping. And also, I felt a little jealously from Ash, not much, but some of his expressions seemed that he was jealous of how much Aipom was liking Jessie.

The contest part was all right, but I was a little more attentive towards Ash's and Aipom's relationship.

Ancax
10th March 2007, 4:35 AM
I think Hikari's loss was actually necessary. I think that she got farther in her first contest than May did because she had her goals from the get-go, and she had more confidence to win. If Hikari pulled a Squirle vs. Ariados on us, i would boycott pokemon. Remember, Jessie was using Pokemon when Hikari-san was still in diapers. And she was doing contests way before her too. I am glad the writers did not have Hikari beat Musashi-san in her first contest, because that would be too unfair TO Jessibella. I am curious to see how well the writers will pull off differentiating the two main coordinators. Whoo....thats an mouthful.

Weav-vile
10th March 2007, 5:29 PM
After watching the episode... GUYS, WHERE IS THE HELLA HORRIBLE ANIMATION? O_o
Seriously, it was decent. Compare it to some BF episodes, and with some D/P episodes, like D/P 4 or D/P 17. It was really decent!

About the episode itself, it was awesome. I didn't expect much of it, but seeing it was great! I laughed out loud in various moments, and the plot was excellent as well.

Some points that deserve some status:

- Jesse saving Aipom. LMAO at it!

- Jesse development with Aipom through the episode, and how they ended up;

- Hikari being totally pwned by Jesse;

- The appeals (saying they were weak is being stupid);

- The good development of Ash (a boy who realeased lots of pokémon worried about the lost of a recent one he caught? OK then!);

- Pikachu on Brock's neck! XD

- Ash wondering about Aipom going away with Jesse;

- Pachirisu looking a newbie newbie newbie at battles, cuter than ever;

- The adorable and great ending! \o/

Overral, it was really funny to watch!

Ah, and two questions:

1- Does anybody know why the opening returned to the point where Hikari didn't have Pachirisu, where Ash didn't have evolved his Mukkuru and where Brock didn't have Gregguru and didn't have evolved his Bonsly? I find it weird... really.

2 - Is there any source about the special that aired after this episode? I don't have any idea of its content yet.

Thanks!

- Nozomi

R_N
10th March 2007, 7:21 PM
Well, just finished watching it, it was preatty good.

Aipom antics are always fun.
Hey, Jessie not only can lift a huge log with ease, but can also defy gravity!
Face Hump! That was...unexpectedly funny.
The contest appeals:
-I like how PAchrisu was given stagefright, now Hikari nows what she needs to work on with Pachrisu beforethe next contest. The heart and static appeals were nice. Funny when it shocked everyone.
-Jessie was preatty good with Aipom. NOw if only she was as good with at tleast her teammates.
-Good jessie & Hikari battle. But what was Hikari saying after she lsot points from that Double Team, she said something about Aipom and it caught Brock & Ash's attention.
-Jessie won!

Funny to see Ash worry taht Aipom would stay with Jessie.

Only bad points were that:
1.EVen within the same episode, animators can't decide on how to draw Aipom.
2.That TR couldn't just let things be. THey couldn't just let Aipom go away, could they. THey should have just taken teh bananas and went of their merry way.

S.Suikun
10th March 2007, 7:51 PM
After watching the episode... GUYS, WHERE IS THE HELLA HORRIBLE ANIMATION? O_o
Seriously, it was decent. Compare it to some BF episodes, and with some D/P episodes, like D/P 4 or D/P 17. It was really decent!
Well yeah, a turd on a stick looks decent compared to DP04 or DP17. That doesn't mean this still didn't look mediocre, especially when compared to say...the previous episode.

Here's a really off-model shot (courtesy of Umi Mizuno) to prove my point:
http://i16.*******.com/4bqghf8.jpg

1- Does anybody know why the opening returned to the point where Hikari didn't have Pachirisu, where Ash didn't have evolved his Mukkuru and where Brock didn't have Gregguru and didn't have evolved his Bonsly? I find it weird... really.
Obviously just a goof. And a funny one at that.

Juputoru
10th March 2007, 9:59 PM
a boy who realeased lots of pokémon worried about the lost of a recent one he caught? OK then!
In his defense, A)He hasn't released a Pokemon since...uh...hm...Squirtle, was it? Or was that Charizard? Well, there was that one Beedrill but he had it for not even an entire episode...the point is, it's been ages since he's released anything, and B)Ash cares for all his Pokemon, even recently caught ones. Naturally, he won't want to see one hanging around a member of Team Rocket(you know, the group he hates so much that he won't even let them catch a wild Pokemon he'd have no problem with any other person catching?), even if it seems happy about it.

Rumor(aka "Sushi") says that Ash does quite a few amusing thing in this ep, so I'm looking forward to that whenever I see it. In the meanwhile...geez, apparently TR can't have anything good that happens to them last, can they? Gotta feel sorry for them sometimes...

Weav-vile
10th March 2007, 10:05 PM
Well yeah, a turd on a stick looks decent compared to DP04 or DP17. That doesn't mean this still didn't look mediocre, especially when compared to say...the previous episode.

Here's a really off-model shot (courtesy of Umi Mizuno) to prove my point:
http://i16.*******.com/4bqghf8.jpg

I get your point. Compared to D/P 21, it was indeed worst, but... for me, it was decent, still. I mean, the eyes of the characters didn't look out-of-place, and that picture you posted is... weird, yeah, but in a cool way! XD

Anyways, I understand that after a perfectly-animated episode like D/P 21, the animation on this one is not all that good - or mediocre, in your opinion.

Obviously just a goof. And a funny one at that.

Hmm, I see. O.O
Thank you for replying my question! ^^

EDIT:
In his defense, A)He hasn't released a Pokemon since...uh...hm...Squirtle, was it? Or was that Charizard? Well, there was that one Beedrill but he had it for not even an entire episode...the point is, it's been ages since he's released anything, and B)Ash cares for all his Pokemon, even recently caught ones. Naturally, he won't want to see one hanging around a member of Team Rocket(you know, the group he hates so much that he won't even let them catch a wild Pokemon he'd have no problem with any other person catching?), even if it seems happy about it.

I didn't criticize Ash. And I didn't really meant only the pokés he's released; I meant the ones he's always OAKing all the time also. When he was leaving Aipom behind, in Kanto, he didn't look sad.

Oh, and I'm not saying he doesn't care of his pokémon... I just think he only consider Pikachu as a greater and inseparable real friend. The other ones, IMO, he feels in the same way about Misty, May and all the friends he's left behind.

You can be an Ash fan and all, but you must agree when I say he's not the sentimental type of person. :S

- Nozomi

Somorio
10th March 2007, 11:05 PM
just saw the pictures. and it seemed to be a fine... was this a filler? i think so... but i got confused at the end. what did team rocket do to make them deserve to be blasted off. i saw meowth take out a rubber glove of some sort but nothing happened. aipom did something and they blasted off. ummm.

gotta say jessie using aipom was a nice touch. that hasn't happned since... did this ever happen? i don't think so.

on a side note pachirisu looks really adorable in this episode. im liking that squirel more and more evry episode;355;

Geodude
10th March 2007, 11:14 PM
-Good jessie & Hikari battle. But what was Hikari saying after she lsot points from that Double Team, she said something about Aipom and it caught Brock & Ash's attention.
Not sure exactly, but it was something about how Aipom belongs to Ash, which made Ash feel better because of the worrying he'd done.

what did team rocket do to make them deserve to be blasted off. i saw meowth take out a rubber glove of some sort but nothing happened. aipom did something and they blasted off. ummm.
After they realized Aipom only wanted the bananas, they used their mechanical hand thingy to try to grab Aipom, but Ash had Aipom destroy it with a Focus Punch. Ash called out to it again and it jumped down to him. TR then decided to go for Pikachu, and released another mechanical hand thingy, so Ash had Aipom use Swift to blast them off.

Korobooshi Kojiro
11th March 2007, 12:40 AM
I noticed James said "Eipamu!" in part of the motto...anyone have a translation for it? I assume they were trying to get Aipom to join. XD

I also caught "Muskippa" said at one part, assumingly Jessie wanted to use it.

That's TWICE the writers have teased me in the last 5 episodes with the prospect of Carnivine!

Crimsonmon
11th March 2007, 1:47 AM
I noticed James said "Eipamu!" in part of the motto...anyone have a translation for it? I assume they were trying to get Aipom to join. XD

It was just reffering to the fact that her and Jesse won this time.

Geodude
11th March 2007, 6:43 AM
I also caught "Muskippa" said at one part, assumingly Jessie wanted to use it.
Yeah when she first found out about the contest she asked James if she could use Carnivine in it, but James didn't want her to. So she was wondering which Pokemon to use, hence the idea of using Aipom after she saved it.

Makes me wonder why she still hasn't used Seviper in one since way back in her first Contest attempt where she messed up so much with its attacks.

CyberCubed
11th March 2007, 6:50 AM
This episode started off a little slow, but got better towards the middle. All the funny Aipom/Ash antics have been mentioned by now, so I'll skip that.

Wow, I wasn't expecting Jessie to totally dominate Hikari like that. Jessie didn't just win, she absolutely killed Hikari. I was actually somewhat disappointed with how short the battle was, Pachirisu barely did anything and didn't even land one attack.

This episode did showcase Hikari more as a beginning trainer messing up with appeals, which is far more realistic than how well she was doing in her first Contest. She was battling a little too well before, so I'm glad the writers realized this and made this episode essentially just for Hikari to lose to Jessie.

Not the best episode, but it was pretty good. I'm kinda glad this wasn't a real Contest because it wasn't as exciting as any of the AG ones or Hikari's first Contest.

TeddiUrsa
11th March 2007, 7:27 AM
Poor Wobbuffet...it is appearing less and less. It was only in the motto-sequence and disappeared after that.

It really needs to do show crazieness again...

uber gon
11th March 2007, 11:00 AM
Meh, Aipom IS/WAS Ash's pokémon, so it makes sense that it beat Pachirisu.

Ashy Boy
11th March 2007, 2:57 PM
After this ep, I don't know what to say about Jessie. She might have beaten Hikari, but it was only for a pack of bananas.

Pika Hikari KT
11th March 2007, 6:52 PM
Makes me wonder why she still hasn't used Seviper in one since way back in her first Contest attempt where she messed up so much with its attacks.
Yeah, Seviper could do a lot of things with that swordlike tail...throw it a few frisbees and watch them all be cut into itty pieces.:D If not frisbees, she could always steal James' bottlecaps for a bigger challenge.;)

uber gon
11th March 2007, 7:36 PM
After this ep, I don't know what to say about Jessie. She might have beaten Hikari, but it was only for a pack of bananas.

Which TR lost in the end.

scizor08
12th March 2007, 11:32 AM
Is this the first time Jessie won a contest?

Maestro Kinético
12th March 2007, 1:09 PM
They had the material to make a great dramatic episode where Aipom and Jessie would create a bond and Ash would be Jealous but they just didn't make it. I found the animation very strange (Aipom is badly drawn in some scenes) and the scene where she falls is very bland.

It's great to see Jessie winning though. Go Jess!

FireFalcon
12th March 2007, 4:51 PM
It was a unofficial contest, so thats why jessie won.
Hopefully she will win a official contest someday, but this is probable not gonna happen.

Rizardon
12th March 2007, 9:04 PM
I know people can't hand out links in topics, so i'll ask it like this:
Could someone PM me a link with episodes?

The reason i'm asking this is because the fansub which i used to watch from downloads extremely slow.

Dax
12th March 2007, 9:44 PM
I honestly was bored with the episode so I didn't watch it completely. I thought the episode was a little bit pointless.

wobbanut
13th March 2007, 4:38 AM
WOW, this episode definitely tops the list of episodes I'm looking forward to next season. This episode has so much going for it for a Team Rocket fan like me:

-- Jessie wins a contest FINALLY, albeit an unofficial one. It's about time, after all the growth she's done since her first contest in "All Things Bright and Beautifly". It was getting just plain ridiculous to have her keep losing contests just because she's the bad guy, when she was clearly getting better with time and practice.
-- We finally get full compensation for Misty beating Jessie in "Princess vs. Princess", short of Jessie beating Misty. Finally Jessie wins a competition for the first time ever, and she out-and-out beats Hikari. At least we actually saw her beat Hikari but good, compared to her almost- off-screen defeat of Brock's Ludicolo in "Do I Hear a Ralts?".
-- Ash almost loses a pokemon, and his OWN pokemon, to Team Rocket! I find it interesting that he didn't even seem to put up a big fight, which was a nice change of pace. There's only two other times I remember him not fighting Team Rocket for a pokemon- the snorlax in "Wake Up Snorlax" and the sneasel in "Pop Goes the Sneasel".

Overall, I'm REALLY looking forward to this episode. :D

Anikin
14th March 2007, 9:08 PM
I liked this episode because Hikari lost again, Jessie finnaly wins a Contest and how Aipom defeats that annoying Pachirisu.

Rudoku
24th March 2007, 2:02 PM
Is this the first time Jessie won a contest?

More like it's the first time Jessie won anything.

uber gon
30th March 2007, 9:27 AM
Well at least there's one upside for Dawn, she's portrayed as a real beginner, unlike May.

TheBuddyBud
12th July 2007, 1:01 AM
1. Hoorah Dawn lost
2. Aipom = Extreme annoyance

WaterDragon trainer
12th July 2007, 1:02 AM
This episode was pretty good. It was great to see Jessie do something nice for once when she rescued Aipom. I found it kinda funny when Ash was observing Jessie and Aipom train for the contest. Aipom was pretty good in the preliminary rounds. It was pretty funny when Ash woke from his daydream in front of an audience. IMO, rather than getting confused with Aipom’s Double Team, Dawn should’ve just used Discharge (since it hits all targets). I found it funny when TR took the bananas they won thinking they stole it. Despite the lame “slipping on the banana peel” joke, it was pretty funny when it happened with Ash. It was pretty funny when Aipom only wanted to win the contest for the bananas.

Surreal
12th July 2007, 9:52 AM
Aipom humped Jessie's face...

Wynaut?
12th July 2007, 1:03 PM
^I noticed that too. x_x

An alright ep, I still enjoy the contests even though this was only a small one. It was cool seeing Aipom participate in one again, makes you wonder if Ash really will trade it to Dawn.

Still think Wobbuffet's being phased out a little though, this is the second ep in a row in which it only appears at the end of the motto - doesn't even pop out when they're blasting off. :(

I loved how Aipom only wanted the bananas. :p

Ashy Boy
12th July 2007, 4:13 PM
What did Team Rocket say when they got blasted off?

Medea
12th July 2007, 9:37 PM
An okay episode overall! I will say that James is on a roll this week! First he calls Hunter J a hussy and wench and now all of the old jokes about Jessie. That's just a hoot with me! And even though I hate her to no end, I'm glad that Jessie won for a change. It's nice that since Battle Frontier, Team Rocket is finally winning something.

Kenpachi
12th July 2007, 10:06 PM
I was so happy for Jessie. But its not fair that Ash and his friends stole their fruit. They only did that because Dawn was mad that she lost.
I bet they ate all the fruit off-screen and Dawn said:
"That Jessie, she thinks I would let her get away with beating me. Its not enough that she’s better looking than me, she actually thought she would get away with the prize.”
Brock: Its ok Dawn, if Team Rocket ever wins anything than we'll stop them.
Ash: Yeah, you can count on us to never let Team Rocket be happy.

Geodude
12th July 2007, 10:10 PM
But its not fair that Ash and his friends stole their fruit.
What the heck are you talking about? No they didn't. Did you even watch the episode?

Reign G
12th July 2007, 10:11 PM
1. Hoorah Dawn lost
2. Aipom = Extreme annoyance

BLASPHEMY! You have provoked my anger! May millions of Aipoms rain down upon you!!!1oneel!!eventyhundred!!1two!!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Okay, in the episode topic, this was alright, aside from the mediocre animation. I know Aipom stays because of the pics from future episodes, but I still was upset about it leaving for Jessie. Poor Ash, embarassing himself, by reenacting his daydream during the contest, making everyone stare.

I'm glad Dawn lost, it really shows that she's a rookie. But I do have a complaint; why didn't she use Thunder Seals for Pachirisu?! Piplup gets Foamy Seals, why does Pachirisu havde to share Heart Seals with Buneary?!

And, it was teh funnyzors at the end when TR thought they were stealing the bananas. But the twerps were like. "Uh..You won, why would we stop you?" Kinda makes you wonder why they didn't stop them this time if they stop them from getting WILD Pokemon, since it's fair game.

LOL at my Unofficial Bishie only teaming up with jessie for the bananas!

npdargy312
18th July 2007, 8:51 AM
I'm glad jessie finally won something:-P

RageKaiser
19th July 2007, 11:15 PM
Did anyone notice that they kept the other version of Hikari's theme during the Pachirisu appeal? Is this the first time they've done this?

HelloKitty17
22nd July 2007, 7:04 PM
I thought the episode was decent, it was funny seeing Jessie win her first contest, even though it was unofficial. I liked seeing Ash having to deal with all of it too. xD Thought that was funny.

Pearl's Perap
24th August 2007, 3:43 AM
A definite favourite so far, we got to see Aipom doing what she does best, participating in a contest.

I found how Aipom and Jessie connected initially to be quite cute and I think they suited well as temporary partners, I hope we get a chance to see Aipom helping Jessie out again in the future, though it is doubtful.

Aipom eating the bananas at the end was adorable, to say the least, it made the episode for me, Aipom needed this sort of thing, rather than just to sit on Ash's head or whatever else...

7/10

penngrade6
9th September 2007, 11:46 PM
I love it when one of Ash's Pokemon get more attention than Pikachu. I thought Aipom and Pachirusu were adorable in this episode.

And Aipom humping Jessies face lol

Rebeccag
1st November 2007, 11:52 PM
I liked this episode i think the contest episodes are starting to become my favourites and it was good to see jessie win her first contest. And im also starting to love Pachirusu i think its just so cute ^_^

SpongeBoblover
7th November 2007, 2:56 AM
I it was a Filler Becuase Dawn lost...again

RegalStar
12th May 2008, 4:55 PM
The moment where Team Rocket steals the fruits they won fair and square was really "lol".

Andywoo
18th August 2008, 10:02 AM
Someone please tell Ash to grow up and stop acting like a baby. I liked the episode tough. If only Aipom stayed with Jesse. That would've rocked. What happened to the Bananas at the end?

wobbanut
23rd August 2008, 9:11 PM
I really enjoyed this episode, it was one of my favorites of the tenth season. It was great to see Jessie finally win a contest, even if it was an unofficial one (at least she won a real one the following season), plus there was actually a possibilty that Aipom might leave Ash. Watching the episode again recently I'm sure now that I don't think Aipom would have left, but it made for dramatic possibilities. Ash being upset at the thought of that was nice. I also loved how the twerps didn't go after Team Rocket as they went away with the bananas, James thought it was because they were scared, and the twerps pointed out that Team Rocket didn't actually steal anything this time. LOL

Awesome episode. Plus, it was neat to see Jessie actually compete as herself for a change, and it was nice that she saved Aipom's life.

Tadashi
8th November 2008, 7:57 AM
Aw, I liked this ep. Jessie and Aipom really connected, which surprised me. I'm glad that they won... even though the contest was unofficial. lol they 'stole' the bananas... I guess the ol' saying is true, "a leopard can't change its spots."

Aw, I felt sad for Ash when Aipom ran off... I shoulda guessed it was because she was after the bananas XD; Oh man, the ol' banana peel gag... *facepalm*

Rommath
11th February 2009, 6:36 PM
Aipom was great in this episode. I liked her performance in the contest, and I thought Jessie and Aipom connected really well. I miss Aipom actually, now it's just an Ambipom on Dawn (and Piplup's) team. Team Rocket were sure disappointed about missing out on the bananas, if they think they'd have to resort to eating ribbons...

(s.i.e)
11th March 2009, 11:19 AM
it was good for jessie to win the contest if you ask me, it might not have been an officialone but it was certainly good.

Littlemyuu
27th April 2009, 4:08 PM
Finally Jessie have a ribbon..im happy for her

S.Suikun
31st May 2009, 1:24 AM
I'm giving an extra viewing today. After all, I skipped a few days since I've been so, so happy about my Xanax. I don't have to smoke with friends, but I can still feel high with them.

Before this episode, we had gone a year without Yusaku Takeda, and what an amazing year it was. Alas, Takeda returns triumphantly and in style...or lack thereof. And honestly, this episode had some stellar potential but was executed in a very mediocre fashion. The idea of TR borrowing one of the gang's Pokemon, and in an honest fashion, had never been done before, and Musashi-centered episodes have a positive track record. But when the biggest thing that keeps you awake is how off-model everything appears, you can really see how little the potential was utilized. It's the last time we see Pachirisu really be significant for quite a while, and it's a shame that its battle is so very dull.

In spite of being an unofficial contest, it was nice to see Musashi actually pull off a win. But even though the writers feel like they have to do away with Team Rocket every episode, they feel cheated at the ending. I was finally starting to like Aipom at this point, but its antics sort of send me over the edge here. And in spite of this episode presenting a few things uniquely, nothing strikes the viewer as being exciting and diminishes the episode to being totally expendable. The battle between Aipom and Pachirisu is boring, and while the moments with Satoshi's bitterness about the situation are interesting, the writers fail to take it anywhere intriguing from there.

C-

Random aside: I can't believe I used the term "weaksauce" in my initial review. Oh, silly 2007 Suikun.

Ash-kid
18th December 2009, 12:47 PM
Great episode, i loved the mini-contest.

Aipom was strong, too bad it defeated Dawn's Pachirisu.

8/10

Armaldo48
6th January 2010, 4:23 PM
It's not fair! Jessie won the contest but still didn't get the fruit in the end? I guess team rocket never has any luck.
But except for that, was it a great episode.

8.5/10

Lorde
11th January 2010, 7:59 AM
I thought it was an official Contest when I first saw the previews. I was disappointed.

It was pretty boring. Aside from Aipom teaming up with Jessie, I didn't like it. Though the ending with Aipom almost staying with her was funny.

A hint that Aipom likes Contests, though many missed it. 2/10

KGB13
17th January 2010, 5:08 AM
Another filler episode but it was a good one. Dawn was smart for using Pachirisu in this contest because it wasn't an official one and was great training for it. Aipom was pretty impressive in this episode, and despite Jesse being a bad guy she is a great coordinator. I thought it was pretty funny how TR stole the bananas they won, but like Brock said, old habits die hard. This was a good episode.

Willow's Tara
31st May 2010, 8:09 AM
It was an interesting episode, it shows that if TR uses Ash's and co Pokemon they could probably win more battles lol, no wonder why they are trying to steal them all the time. It was interesting to see Jessie in the contest and win, pity she didn't win a real ribbon in this episode (But it makes up for it in the future),

It was hilarious when TR was taking the fruit and thought they were actually scared lol. But I think it was a bit stupid they had to be blasted off, in some episodes when they don't really do anything wrong they don't always get blasted off. I wonder what happened to the fruit after they were blasted off. Did they come back and get it or did other people take what wasn't theirs?

wind21
24th June 2010, 11:59 PM
Skipping two episodes to do this review. dp 20 introduced Pokemon Hunter J (episode I remember for Ash's, "You can't do that!" as J steals Pikachu from him when he goes to rescue Gardevoir) while dp 21 is a filler episode. I'm not sure I have anything to add to what's been said about dp 20, so...

This episode is another of my personal favorites, and maybe it's the episode that the writers first thought "Hey! Jessie has been doing contests a lot longer than Dawn has. If Dawn is going to be a successful coordinator, shouldn't Jessie be reasonably good, too?" Well, they give the idea a try here, and they even add a twist to make things interesting for Ash. In a not very creative way, Ash is forced into a position where he loans Jessie Aipom for an unofficial pokemon contest that Dawn is also competing in to give Pachirisu practice before the next real contest. Ash becomes jealous and upset as he fears Aipom is going to be leaving him, and it's this characterization of him that makes the episode neat-he hardly ever gets this way.

This episode does have a bit of a loophole in the way that Jessie wins the contest, because as even Dawn points out during her battle with Jessie, Aipom is so strong due to Ash's care. You're not too sure if Jessie's success is a result of her talent or Aipom.

Lance The Champ
2nd December 2010, 2:07 PM
Finally Jessie pulls off a win even though it was unofficial.... and Aipom suited well with her

hever
6th March 2011, 12:01 AM
Aipom Aipom Aipom!!!

Nice episode.

8/10

G50
27th April 2011, 6:36 AM
This episode was ok... It was funny how Jessie thought Aipom wanted to stay with her, but instead just wanted to eat all the bananas. It was very odd that for 1 episode, Ash let Jessie borrow Aipom for a contest. It had to feel odd seeing the Judges give Jessie praise for how she raised Aipom, when it really was Ash who has been raising it. It was interesting to see Jessie saving Aipom. It was hilarious how TR acted as if they "stole" the bananas, when in fact they actually won them.

50/100

TheSirPeras
2nd December 2012, 5:03 PM
I really like this episode :3 Aipom looked really cute and strong in this episode which is good, and it was also pretty funny.

PokemontrainerY
1st September 2013, 10:46 AM
This episode was disappointing. It seemed that the writers were trying to make Jessie look better than Dawn, after all she had done contests a lot longer than Dawn has. But the way they tried to made her look better than Dawn was lame. Jessie saves Ash's Aipom from falling in a Cilff, then she asked Ash to let her borrwo his Aipom. Aipom wanted to do the contest with jessie, so Ash was forced into a situation where he had to loan Jessie his Aipom for an unofficial pokemon contest that Dawn is also competing in for giving her Pachirisu some practice before the participating in an official contest. I did like the parts where Ash becomes jealous and upset as he fears Aipom is going to be leave him for Jessie, he hardly acts this way.....so his characterization in this episode was neat.
Dawn, as always, was looking good in her Contest outfit. This was her pachirishu's first contest and it was having stage fright.....so when Dawn commanded it to use Sweet Kiss, it didn't do anything. But later Pachirisu managed to did the appeal with Discharge and Spark, the appeal was nice IMO.
As I expected, Jessie defeats Dawn and wins the Unofficial Contest ..... because of Aipom.
I didn't like how the judges praised Jessie for raising Aipom.....but like Dawn said, it's Ash who raised Aipom.....not Jessie!
I'm glad Aipom blasted Team Rocket off and reunited with Ash again, that made this episode somewhat better.