PDA

View Full Version : Can remote-hosted avatars be allowed?

Ortega
24th March 2007, 9:37 AM
I figured that since the signature rules allow for quite large remote-hosted images, shouldn't avatar images that fit the proper constraints be allowed so long as they're remote-hosted? I'm pretty sure I've seen other vBulletin forums which allowed users to use avatars that are hosted elsewhere, rather than uploaded to the forum directory.

Black Mage
24th March 2007, 10:04 AM
5 bucks says this is another 'we want custom avatars' thread in disguise

--;475;

Brandon-kun
24th March 2007, 10:15 AM
5 bucks says this is another 'we want custom avatars' thread in disguise

--;475;
..Wtf?

I figured that since the signature rules allow for quite large remote-hosted images, shouldn't avatar images that fit the proper constraints be allowed so long as they're remote-hosted? I'm pretty sure I've seen other vBulletin forums which allowed users to use avatars that are hosted elsewhere, rather than uploaded to the forum directory.
Yes. Just as long as they are under the size of 200 x 200, iirc. Eefi, correct me if I'm wrong.

Ortega
24th March 2007, 10:17 AM
According to the FAQ:

Custom Avatars
You may see some members with Custom Avatars. They are moderators who have earned the right to have them. Normal members are not permitted to have Custom Avatars due to the bandwidth that would be taken up by 8,000+ members uploading their own images.

So, according to this, bandwidth is the only reason, and only due to avatars that are uploaded to the forum. Remote-hosted avatars is a simple solution to that. I haven't seen anywhere in the CP that I could enter a URL for a remote-hosted one.

Serebii
24th March 2007, 11:46 AM
The vBulletin system, despite you giving remote hosted links, will automatically put the avatar in its own system to prevent any broken pictures

Zephyr Flare
24th March 2007, 11:46 AM
Which in turn we'd have to keep changing everybodies avatars as people put all sorts of crap in them (Too big, R rated and what not), with all members considered that'd be a huge time sink that can easily be avoided. By all irony mod avatars actually have a smaller limit than regular members, not as small as my current mind but still.

^And there is also what Joe said.

Sandra