PDA

View Full Version : Getting the Pre-Contest Titters (494)

Serebii
5th April 2007, 11:21 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/494.jpgPokémon Contest! Floaroma Conference!

Ash & Co. are at Floaroma City. Dawn is eager to enter the contest and try and win her first ribbon, however her childhood friend appears, boasting none other than Dawn's Piplup's next evolutionary stage; Prinplup. Dawn is eager to challenge her friend. However, Team Rocket have their eyes set on the Prinplup. Will they be stopped and will Dawn battle her friend in the contest?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/shinou/494.shtml)

Discuss

Korobooshi Kojiro
5th April 2007, 11:31 PM
Kengo calls Dawn "Pikarin", apparently to do with some past event....

Ash6K
5th April 2007, 11:36 PM
EDIT: Whoops, then I'll save the rest of the stuff for the next episode!

Anyway, Ash vs. Kengo was interupted by TR so that wasn't a surprise but heck at least we get to see all of TR's pokemon out again. As for the contest, I really liked Pachirisu's appeal!

Serebii
5th April 2007, 11:38 PM
Umm, I dont want to nitpick, but this is the thread for the first episode. Despite it being aired in Japan as a double episode, can you please keep all spoilers and information from the second episode out of this thread?

Thanks

Korobooshi Kojiro
7th April 2007, 12:44 PM
Saw the pics on PM.

Kengo DID meet Nozomi, and was beaten by her.

Weav-vile
7th April 2007, 5:56 PM
Me have seen the pics too, and... aren't Nozomi indeed da bezt? I mean, she owned even Satoshi! My, I need to see her again -- and I'm pretty sure I will soon!

About the episode itself... ZOMG! Looks like Kengo was introduced to destroy all kinds of Hikari X Nozomi shippings... Good for them, since they're not lesbian (not even a little bit, I say! ¬¬), and Kengo is cute as hell (seriously!).
The boy blushed when Hikari showed him her nice dress!

Well, hope I see the episode soon, can't wait!

- Nozomi.

uber gon
7th April 2007, 6:02 PM
Yeah, but do the same contest costumes HAVE to be re-used?

S.Suikun
7th April 2007, 8:36 PM
- That whole first encounter between Piplup and Prinplup reminded me of Gravy's "Posh Penguins" pic. Seems snobbery is a common trait of the Piplup family.
- XD @ Hikozaru Hikari.
- Nice to see Ash hasn't ditched that strategy he used against Roark's Onix.
- The pile of bubbles explode!
- Piplup has brain damage!
- Holy smokes, a Smeargle? I forgot that thing even existed.
- Ya know, if Sukizo were staring at me from above sadistically, I'd run away screaming also.

Standard "character introduction" episode with good animation.

Weav-vile
7th April 2007, 9:04 PM
- That whole first encounter between Piplup and Prinplup reminded me of Gravy's "Posh Penguins" pic. Seems snobbery is a common trait of the Piplup family.
- XD @ Hikozaru Hikari.
- Nice to see Ash hasn't ditched that strategy he used against Roark's Onix.
- The pile of bubbles explode!
- Piplup has brain damage!
- Holy smokes, a Smeargle? I forgot that thing even existed.
- Ya know, if Sukizo were staring at me from above sadistically, I'd run away screaming also.

Standard "character introduction" episode with good animation.

You know, when I read your "episodes moments" I always think you loved the episode in question... just to read the last line and fund out you didn't care much of it. LOL @ you!

On topic: Having watched the episode, I must say it was pretty entertaining -- Hikari, Kengo, Pochama, Pachirisu, Pottaishi... they all were made of awesomeness in this one! And, of course, Nozomi made a cameo, which also counts as a good point of the episode.
Ah, seeing all Team Rocket pokémon was cool too!
But, I wonder... Jesse was making her nails with that Smeargle and all, OK. But, heck, WHERE ON EARTH WERE HER NAILS? O__O

At least we got to see her in her nice costume again! :p

- Nozomi.

Geodude
7th April 2007, 11:53 PM
XD I was thinking pretty much the same thing when I saw that.

Yay for Piplup learning Whirlpool.

XD @ when Piplup leaned back out of pride so far that it fell over and hit its head. XD

S.Suikun
8th April 2007, 12:55 AM
You know, when I read your "episodes moments" I always think you loved the episode in question... just to read the last line and fund out you didn't care much of it. LOL @ you!
Well, I jot down those "highlights" as I'm watching the episode, so I don't sum up my final thoughts until the very end. I just pick out the stuff that jumps out at me. Random stuff like bubbles exploding qualifies as being notable in my book.

Weav-vile
8th April 2007, 1:23 AM
I know that, I was just kidding you; I actually always enjoy your posts about the episodes so much! ^^

About Pochama learning "Tide", I'm glad it did! The move looks cute, and I love how it reminds me of Whirlpool. :)

- Nozomi.

Pika Hikari KT
8th April 2007, 1:41 AM
Heck, I thought it WAS Whirlpool! But I read that it might've been Brine, which is pretty cool too.:)

BTW, what was Pikachu trying to get Pachirisu to do? Looked like the little squirrel was learning how to do Thunder!:D

Geodude
8th April 2007, 2:26 AM
No, it wasn't Thunder. And yes, it was Whirlpool.

Mel-Girl
8th April 2007, 3:53 AM
I liked this episode. Especially Kengo! He's so cute!!!!!!

Geodude
8th April 2007, 2:52 PM
Sorry guys, I don't usually make this type of mistake, but it turns out the move was in fact Whirlpool. I just edited my earlier posts.

Don't know why I didn't think of it in the first place, since that was a whirlpool that Piplup created. -_-

I loved how Dawn was cracking her knuckles threateningly at Team Rocket after Piplup rescued Prinplup. XD

Lucario At Service
8th April 2007, 8:02 PM
Ok the new attack Piplup learned is Whirlpool, but i don't get one thing thought how was the attack able to power up Prinplup. I just now saw the episode & i don't get the meaning of it some how powering up a pokemon.
As i don't know japanese i don't know what really happened but by the looks of it, the attack powered up Prinplup so that it was able to break free.
Correct me if i am wrong about it.

uber gon
8th April 2007, 8:37 PM
Guess we'll have to add Whirlpool as an overpowered attack.

But it's still cool though.

Rapiido
9th April 2007, 6:27 AM
Anyone else findin it kinda weird that Ponyta/Rapidash was like almost never shown before in Kanto/Johto.. Then Ponyta's in a poster and a couple contest eps in Hoenn, and Rapidash is in the Grande Festival appeals... then we get Rapidash in Dawn's first contest, the Pokétch ep and now this one. o__O Maybe it's foreshadowing something. X3 (I wish) Meh. Back to the episode.

Weird how Piplup learned Whirpool of all attacks... And we get to see BIDE in the next episode. FINALLY. Pachirisu+Piplup Sucking Up=Win. x3 Kengo seems sorta interesting... I guess.

Bliksem
9th April 2007, 7:28 AM
Kengo was SO adorable, but I must say, Metal Claw deflecting Thunderbolt is pure hax of the highest order. Gotta love the anime always ****ing on type advantages XD. But Pikachu's use of that maneuver used against Hyouta again made me smile. And then Prinplup bounces off the ground with an *awesome* use of Bubble(beam) (I'm really bad at telling the name of that move). I *want* Kengo's outfit @_@; He's so cute. And WTF at Dustox... freakin' out over there. Whirlpool... the Spirit Bomb of the Pokemon world XD. But wtf was that effect it had? Was it a combination of Whirlpool and Aqua Ring? Hikari's cracking her knuckles... that's awesome. And then there's a Smergle (very cute) and Jessie... who's expression finally managed to amuse me XD. Seviper and Dustox have some personality for once. And Pachirisu's so cute ^^;;

mpt37
9th April 2007, 8:57 AM
Just watched the ep, Hikozaru-Hikari was funny and whirl pool was cool, didn't expect it to be such a big attack.

Also, did they explain why Kengo calls Hikari, "Pikari"?

scissorX
9th April 2007, 9:03 AM
Yeah I agree, Whirlpool looked awesome. A lot different to how I would of expected it. Do you think it'll always look like that though.. Like out of battles. Because I remember Piplup's Bubblebeam having that really cool ring effect but then it was forgotten..

Pokemon Fan
10th April 2007, 3:09 AM
Yeah I agree, Whirlpool looked awesome. A lot different to how I would of expected it. Do you think it'll always look like that though.. Like out of battles. Because I remember Piplup's Bubblebeam having that really cool ring effect but then it was forgotten..
I'm just impressed that they made a way to show Whirlpool on land. Before this it was only ever used in the water (in the third movie). And I'd guess its a fairly malleable attack, with various appearances depending on the user and other factors.

Me have seen the pics too, and... aren't Nozomi indeed da bezt? I mean, she owned even Satoshi! My, I need to see her again -- and I'm pretty sure I will soon!
- Nozomi.
Nozomi is indeed awesome but she only "owned" Ash in the sense that she got his points down further than hers and won by the skin of her teeth as another second would have had Aipom OHKOing her.

Mythic Mist
11th April 2007, 7:27 AM
Hm. Everything was commented on I think...I did like the look of this contest hall. With all the flowers and such. And the design of the building as well. >_> Very pretty. I love how they're making the cities be visually unique in D/P

WaterDragon trainer
1st September 2007, 3:02 PM
This episode was pretty good. It was cool to see a Prinplup. I had to admit, Dawn was pretty cute when she was little. The battle between Prinplup and Pikachu was cool. It was cool to see Piplup learn Whirlpool. IMO, Kenny was really annoying throughout the entire episode.

Darkness Angel
1st September 2007, 3:12 PM
I gotta agree Dawn did look cute as a kid though I didn't. Really care much for Kenny at all.

Poke'T<3
1st September 2007, 3:20 PM
I must say that Ash beats zoey in power over all if it was based on whos better ash would have won all the way and if ash used volt tackle on prinplup he woulda lost bad even with steel wing ash is stronger than both of them easy i wish team rocket woulda let them finish their battle

PANCAKE
1st September 2007, 5:30 PM
Congrats Pokemon USA on the Combusken voice knock-off. Good job there on Prinplup :rolleyes:. Then again, it is a fowl like it's predescessor, so what did I expect? And the only Kenny on tv belongs on South Park. As I said a few months back: Even though the anime caters to a Japanese audience, they need to stop slapping different color hair on the same character model when the guest of the week shows up. Errr..... I need my coffee.

My favorite moments were when Carnivine and Cacnea attacked Ash and Kenny. It was maliciously funny. Also when Seviper was holding up Prinplup with it's sharp tail, threatning to cut it's neck.

Same ol same ol score with me for intro episodes like this. 5 outta 10.

Reign G
2nd September 2007, 5:03 AM
Bah, South Park sucks anyway.

I find it odd that Kenny's name wasn't something similar to Diamond. Ya see, Kenny's Japanese name, Kengo, is one letter off from the Japanese word for Diamond (Which, at the moment, I have trouble remembering...). Similar to how Paul's Jap name, Shinji, is one letter off from Shinju, Japanese for Pearl. Since Paul sounds similar to Pearl, I guess I assumed Kenny's name would be similar to Diamond. Maybe Paul having the same theme as his Jap name (That is, sounding like Pearl) was only a coincidence...?

Leona
2nd September 2007, 10:51 AM
Awesome, Prinplup is so amazing <3 :]

netobeto
2nd September 2007, 11:35 AM
so its kenny 1 year older than may? or how did he get that primplup. maybe i am wrong but i thought that the proffesor gave the starter pokemon once a year.

Medea
2nd September 2007, 1:04 PM
Cute episode to say in the least. The rivalry between Kenny and Dawn was just so cute for words and of course all of those memories (embarrassing as they were) were just to die for. Oh yeah, and when Piplup and Pachirisu wanting more poffin that was so cute. Reminded me so much of my animals and milk :p.

And because I have to comment on this, when Pachirisu missed a beat and fell down and looked up and saw Sukizo's face, I almost died laughing. Pachirisu gave off one of those faces like it just saw Michael Jackson!

Dax
2nd September 2007, 5:56 PM
Great episode.

Piplup and Prinplup owned the episode. Amazing attack for Piplup and Dawn was awesome like always.

Venusaur Master
2nd September 2007, 6:10 PM
awesome episode piplup's whirlpool was amazing the way it healed prinplup, Im glad to see prinplup being able to move so fast even tough of its size

Geodude
3rd September 2007, 3:20 AM
so its kenny 1 year older than may? or how did he get that primplup. maybe i am wrong but i thought that the proffesor gave the starter pokemon once a year.

Obviously not. Did you even listen? Dawn clearly said that Kenny left on his journey not long before she did. And the once a year thing can't be true since kids become eligible once they turn 10, so obviously it wouldn't be fair to make some kids wait 11 months or so to get their starters and start their journeys while others only have to wait a day or two. A little common sense goes a long way, my friend.

Dawn to Kenny: "Don't you think I'm pretty?"

XD I was hoping she'd say something like that.

Addydo
3rd September 2007, 4:57 AM
So, was that a dubbing error when Ash told Staravia to use Gust on the cloud of smoke, when it should have been Whirlwind?!

Dax
5th September 2007, 1:08 AM
^I was going to ask that. I was rather confused because both attacks look rather similar in the anime. But Staravia can't learn it...

Lishus13
7th September 2007, 9:32 PM
Yes! My name was used in the Anime!
...Unfourtuatly, I'm a 11-year old pre-pubescent she-man.

Venusaur Master
8th September 2007, 12:46 PM
gust , whirlwind same mix up happens to machoke and machamp

Dax
8th September 2007, 2:21 PM
If they could do something to make the attacks look more different, the attacks practically look the same.

Deception
8th September 2007, 11:33 PM
GOD, Kenny's dub voice is unbearable! He sounds like a girl.

Aaron_fan
9th September 2007, 2:30 AM
Most 10-year-old boys sound like girls, Lucario. :\

uber gon
9th September 2007, 9:32 PM
If they could do something to make the attacks look more different, the attacks practically look the same.

Yeah, that little fact irked me bad.

How could PUSA confuse Gust and Whirlwind anyway?

Sushi
9th September 2007, 9:45 PM
They didn't do anything but translate the line from the Japanese version. Yes, it was Gust there too.

Okay, so the Starly line can't learn Gust in the game, big deal. However, a) the fact that it does learn Whirlwind but not Gust makes no sense whatsoever so I don't see why the anime shouldn't be allowed to ignore this very strange game rule, and b) anime!Starly already used Gust way back in DP002 (its capture episode), so I thought people would have settled with it by now ô.ô

uber gon
9th September 2007, 9:50 PM
They didn't do anything but translate the line from the Japanese version. Yes, it was Gust there too.

Okay, so the Starly line can't learn Gust in the game, big deal. However, a) the fact that it does learn Whirlwind but not Gust makes no sense whatsoever so I don't see why the anime shouldn't be allowed to ignore this very strange game rule, and b) anime!Starly already used Gust way back in DP002 (its capture episode), so I thought people would have settled with it by now ô.ô

Oh, I thought Brock said Starly used Whirlwind.

Ashy Boy
15th September 2007, 12:42 PM

I'm guessing he's voiced by the same VA who did Max.

Treecko Girl
7th October 2007, 6:35 PM

That is SO true. I hope they fired whoever picked the voice actor (Or... Actress. I'm too lazy to look it up).
"Dee Dee" HA!!

I wonder if Kenny will make anymore appearances, I kinda hope so. :p

Addydo
13th October 2007, 12:46 AM
Oh, I thought Brock said Starly used Whirlwind.

He did say it was Whirlwind, I went on youtube and found that episode, and Brock said Whirlwind. I keep on changing Staravia's Attack list on Bulbapedia; it says Gust, and I keep changing it to Whirlwind, but they keep changing it back to Gust. Then I tried putting Whirlwind under Gust, and then they just got rid of it. I tried doing the same thing to Happiny's Attack list, cause it says Seismic Toss, which she cannot learn in the games. I got rid of it, and I looked at it today, and it says Seismic Toss again. We don't know what attacks she has; she's just super strong. Whoever owns Bulbapedia, they're retarded! ;munchlax;

Treecko Girl
16th October 2007, 5:28 PM
Whoever owns Bulbapedia, they're retarded! ;munchlax;

:) Should you really be saying that?
I have deep respect for the owner Bulbapedia.
;)

Rebeccag
28th October 2007, 10:24 PM
aww i liked this episode it was good to see some of dawns past and to have a story with kenny meeting zoey and also getting beat by her. And Ash and Kenny had a battle too although i have to say that his voice is annoying

Palamon
30th April 2008, 12:58 AM
Dawn Shouldv'e Chosen Buneary Instead of patchirisu,

brandon735
3rd May 2008, 6:47 AM
Kengo has so many hilarious storys.I laughed my butt off it was so funny.I really feel bad for Dawn.1337 Broked Workspace=die stupid idiot

Tri hawk
3rd May 2008, 2:51 PM
Kenny seems pretty interesting, but what really caught my attention was the name of the episode. Best, title, ever!

Dattebayo
29th June 2008, 1:49 AM
I thought this episode was medicore because Kenny calls Dawn "Dee Dee". Why "Dee Dee", should've he come up with a better nickname like "Diddy" or "Dedede"?

ARPokemonMaster
3rd July 2008, 12:13 PM
Possibly the best battle I've seen from the diamond/pearl series between Pikachu and Prinplup. I just love Pikachu's spin evade move. Shame that there wasn't a result either way.

wobbanut
26th August 2008, 1:54 AM
Kenny has been a pretty interesting recurring character on the show. I like the fact that he introduces this ongoing mystery about Dawn in this episode, it makes for a fun recurring gag. I also like that Seviper finally gets its shot at redemption in this episode by being in a contest again. Who could forget Jessie's 0 when she used Seviper in her first contest in season six ("All Things Bright and Beautifly")? Pachirisu is cute too at the end. :)

wobbanut
26th August 2008, 1:56 AM
Kenny has been a pretty interesting recurring character on the show. I like the fact that he introduces this ongoing mystery about Dawn in this episode, it makes for a fun recurring gag. I also like that Seviper finally gets its shot at redemption in this episode by being in a contest again. Who could forget Jessie's 0 when she used Seviper in her first contest in season six ("All Things Bright and Beautifly")? Pachirisu is cute too at the end. :)

pkmn_GSC
28th September 2008, 10:32 PM
Did anyone else notice the japanese theme song thing playing in the background?

Or was that just me?

DanChimchar
13th October 2008, 1:35 AM
I was scaried when Pachrisu screwed up I was like please no please
Also Kenny Vs Ash was good Loved it since it was a fight for Dawn I mean fight for fun.
Anyways Kenny now sounds like a kid who hasn't past the point in hislife with no apple, anyways Prinplups voice sounds good to me

(s.i.e)
11th March 2009, 11:31 AM
piplup's whirlpool was amazing the way it healed prinplup, thisd episode had quite some good moments in it i must say that.

Littlemyuu
27th April 2009, 4:04 PM
It was a great episode for Piplup and Prinplup...i never knew that whirpool looked like that

S.Suikun
6th June 2009, 7:12 PM
I've never been more neutral to a character than I am to Kengo. He fails to sway my emotions in any direction, thanks to his incredibly standard design and lack of distinguishable personality. I have no feeling for him one way or the other. Little has changed about him over the course of Sinnoh, and while his childhood history with Hikari is an interesting point, it never really goes anywhere from there. I fail to see why people look so deeply into the "Pikari" joke. It's a running line with no deep meaning. Anyways, as both a character introduction and contest set-up episode, this is very standard. We get a new move for Pochama, but otherwise, it doesn't really tread on much fascinating territory.

Kinda like the Hikari/Kengo rivalry, the Pochama/Potasshi rivalry isn't as interesting as it really could be. We get a battle in the following episode, but no real continuation. Team Rocket is also pretty standard here, and I sorta wish they did a bit more with Sonoo Town. I do appreciate these contest set-up episode since they leave more time for the actual contest afterwards, but many follow the same general introductory pattern, with this being no exception.

C+

Ragingmaiden
17th November 2009, 2:54 AM
I like these part

dawn fall down on rock at stage play as dress as slowpoke
and then she wear two different shoe

Ash:no need to worry right
Brock:she saying in day 1

but I hate that part...kenny/kengo call dawn/hikari as dee dee/pikari

Shadow XD001
30th November 2009, 11:09 PM
At first Kenny was pretty good now he's getting annoying with just generic Pok&#233;mon. Anyway, the episode was pretty good and nice to see Whirlpool from Piplup.

Lorde
5th December 2009, 2:13 AM
When I saw Prinplup in the previews I thought Piplup had evolved haha. Well my bubble was burst. It was a decent episode mostly. Just the debut of one of the oddest Coordinators in DP; Kenny. I really don't see his appeal and he's just sort of there to fill space most of the time it seems. His Prinplup had more personality than he did in this episode. 5/10.

Ash-kid
16th December 2009, 3:15 PM
The battle between Pikachu and Prinplup was good, too bad it didn't over.

And TR was trying to still Prinplup, not Piplup?

KGB13
17th January 2010, 8:55 AM
This was a good episode. Kenny's a good battler and his Prinplup was pretty strong, it held it's own against Pikachu which was impressive. I like the fact that Piplup learned Whirpool, that will serve it well in contest and in battles. I thought the Dawn stories Kenny kept bringing up were kinda funny. Pachirisu's entrance in the contest was nice, too bad it went berserk after that. Overall good episode.

Willow's Tara
1st June 2010, 1:38 AM
Not too bad of an episode, I liked Kenny's stories lol it was kind of funny. I wonder where the name Dee-Dee comes from? I am guessing somewhere along the line we find out (Guessing from an episode title), nice to see Prinlup.

saar
8th July 2010, 10:54 AM
I have been wondering why Kenny is calling Dawn Dee-Dee. It was a mystery.
Piplup's rivalry with Prinplup has gotten too far.. they should have forgive each other.

Lance The Champ
2nd December 2010, 1:15 PM
I wanted Dawn's Piplup to beat Kenny's Prinplup and it did in the next episode... Well done Dawn

G50
27th April 2011, 7:18 AM
This episode was ok... It was cool to see Kenny for the 1st time. It was cool to see Prinplup again. It was cool to see Pikachu battle. Prinplup's attacks are so cool. I'm glad Piplup ended up learning Whirlpool in this episode, it's perfect for contest battles.

40/100