PDA

View Full Version : Gaming store disgrace. Anyone thinking of buying a 2nd hand Pokemon game, read.

Conquistador
10th April 2007, 5:57 AM
I went into EB Games (Australia) a few hours ago, and (finally) bought Emerald. As I approached the counter, I saw in a cabinet a whole bunch of 2nd hand games. Among them were numerous Pokemon games. One in particular caught my eye; A Ruby version.

However, this was not any normal Ruby version, it had a BLACK cartridge.

Yes that's right, black. This - for anyone who right now thinks I'm some crazy crackpot - means that the game is bootlegged!

I didn't get the chance to say anything for I was in a rush, but I'm now sitting here thinking, "How the hell could a high profile gaming store let a blatantly obvious fake be traded in, and then put it up for sale!"

I really feel sorry for the numbskull that buys it....

Disscuss...

Omega493
10th April 2007, 6:00 AM
I went into EB Games (Australia) a few hours ago, and (finally) bought Emerald. As I approached the counter, I saw in a cabinet a whole bunch of 2nd hand games. Among them were numerous Pokemon games. One in particular caught my eye; A Ruby version.

Yes that's right, black. This - for anyone who right now thinks I'm some crazy crackpot - means that the game is bootlegged!

I didn't get the chance to say anything for I was in a rush, but I'm now sitting here thinking, "How the hell could a high profile gaming store let a blatantly obvious fake be traded in, and then put it up for sale!"

Disscuss...

i dont think they'd pay enough attention to relize it was fake by the color. I mean if they were an avid player of Pokemon, they would, but its easily missed. Still, thats uh...not nice.

Conquistador
10th April 2007, 6:01 AM
Mmm, to think that game stores barely check the 2nd hand games.... Not nice to know.

killerjaw01
10th April 2007, 9:05 AM
Yeah game stores are morons, I've seen loads of bootlegs at stores.

halloweenghost
11th April 2007, 5:04 AM
yup seen that plenty of times at my gamstop..

Tytus
11th April 2007, 5:20 AM
I destest EB Games. Used Sapphire version? $35? What a deal! Seriously, they rip you off. A new Sapphire at WalMart doesn't even cost that much. The EB at my mall is even trying to sell off old Blue and Gold games for $15.

Alzi
11th April 2007, 5:43 AM
Yes i've seen alot of 2nd hand ruby and saphires somtimes even fr/lg and emerald cartridges being traded in then sold but if you tell them that it is a fake they won't believe you anyway.

Conquistador
11th April 2007, 6:36 AM
Yea, I know, all they care about is making profit

kris_kricketune
11th April 2007, 6:55 AM
Seen it done. It's surprising how much they slide by.

Charmeleon
11th April 2007, 7:19 AM
It doesn't surprise me one bit...

If I was working at a Gamestop or whatever store, and someone came in wanting to trade in a game I don't see too often, I might look past the color too.

Conquistador
11th April 2007, 7:27 AM
Yes, but it was right next to another Ruby that was legit...surely someone would realise -_-

Assassin
11th April 2007, 11:55 AM
Not nessecarily.

For the most part, EB/Gamestop staff don't play Pokemon, so they wouldn't know the difference between a legit copy, and a pirated one. Any cartridge colour differences could be put down the limited edition vs standard, or something similar. Heck, once we got a new manager in at the EB I used to work at. He came with this brilliant track record, and all the higher-ups loved him to death. His first day at my store and POW!

"Hey boss, you do realise you just traded in a pirated copy?"

"What? No I didn't."

*Points out all the tell tale signs* "Yes, you did."

Not to mention, have you ever worked at an EB? That place can get busy as heck at times, and when someone comes in wanting to trade stuff, if it's busy, you often don't have time to thouroughly check everything that's being traded in.

Another thing is, if it was merely a casual who did the trade in, there's a high chance that their boss is on their back 24/7 about doing lots of stuff, like adding Game Guarentees, selling/trading in pre-owned games and the like. They are under pressure to do as much as they can, lest they get less hours, or indeed, fired.

Am I defending EB? Heck no. I hate the place with a passion, and I wouldn't shop there if my local Big-W would get all the awesome games I want in (Atlus titles, I'm looking at you), but try and realise that while the company itself may be the faceless organisation out to take your money, the individuals themselves are not. They're trying to get by, just like you.

Conquistador
11th April 2007, 12:16 PM
Mmm, I agree with all you're saying, however, almost all bootleg copies of any game are in that very-odd-shade-of-grey coloured cartrige.

Master Ballz
11th April 2007, 4:59 PM
Like anything you pay for "let the buyer beware" applies. If someone isn't smart enough to know that a ruby cart is supposed to be... well... ruby colored then they probably won't catch on that it's a bootleg when they play it either. So in the end they get what they deserve.

I myself have had a good bit of luck buying used Pokemon games. In fact I've gotten a few nice items and pokemon from picking up used games at lower prices and traded then over before restarting the games for my characters.

Saph
11th April 2007, 8:52 PM
Like anything you pay for "let the buyer beware" applies. If someone isn't smart enough to know that a ruby cart is supposed to be... well... ruby colored then they probably won't catch on that it's a bootleg when they play it either. So in the end they get what they deserve.
If you're not a serious Pokemon player you would have no idea the cartridges are coloured. It being Grey would be no different from any other GBA game, so to them nothing is wrong.

Don't confuse ignorance with stupidity.

scissorX
11th April 2007, 8:56 PM
Seriously the people who work at these places just bung it on the shelf. All they do is type in Pokémon Ruby on their computer, see the estimated value and give a price, they don't know if its real or not unless they play the games themselves.

Omega
11th April 2007, 9:11 PM
:P I mgiht go to my EB games, and buy the bootlegg ruby they have there, then tell them, THIS IS BOOTLEGG! I WANT MYM ONEY BACK!

Master Ballz
11th April 2007, 9:14 PM
Ideally the game store employees should know which games are knockoffs and pull them, but since this isn't an ideal world it's the consumer who needs to arm themselves with a little knowledge before dropping $25-$30 on a used game. Buying a used item without a little prior fact finding shows a lack of intelligence and ignorance since you have no gaurantees you are getting the same product as the new unopened alternative. If they are that entirely "ignorant" of a product they plan to pay for then what can anyone do for them after the fact except offer them a tissue and a jar of vaseline?

Jeraldo
11th April 2007, 11:12 PM
Can they get in trouble for having bootleg games? Or was it the japenese version. I've never seen this before.

Dude18210
11th April 2007, 11:44 PM
Of course they can get in trouble. It's sales fraud and is against the law. :)

That is a sad story...not the crying kind of sad, but the pathetic kind of sad. :s

ShinyManafi
11th April 2007, 11:45 PM
These game stores don't know how to hire proper employees anymore...

Conquistador
12th April 2007, 8:56 AM

I think that that is a little harsh....

If you're not a serious Pokemon player you would have no idea the cartridges are coloured. It being Grey would be no different from any other GBA game, so to them nothing is wrong.

Don't confuse ignorance with stupidity.

Exactly.

Seriously the people who work at these places just bung it on the shelf. All they do is type in Pokémon Ruby on their computer, see the estimated value and give a price, they don't know if its real or not unless they play the games themselves.

Yes, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out: "Hang on...this is a rather odd colour... Wait a minute! This could be bootlegged!" and then go and check it out in more detail.

Can they get in trouble for having bootleg games?

Indeed they can, look down.

Of course they can get in trouble. It's sales fraud and is against the law. :)

But they wouldn't be charged with that, for they were "oblivious". All that'd happen it they have to write off, or in otherwords, "get rid of" the stock. Thus, they would lose whatever money/store credit they gave for the game.

crudent
12th April 2007, 12:00 PM
Well you can't stop piracy. In this case, tough luck for the person who's buying it then. They should have known about these fakes if they wanted to play pokemon.

Conquistador
12th April 2007, 1:38 PM
Once again, that's a little harsh. What if it's a casual gamer that just thought, "Hey, this looks good, might give it a try"?

crudent
12th April 2007, 1:56 PM
Well if he's a casual gamer he'll probably not waste too much of his time on the game.

cheetahd586
12th April 2007, 5:11 PM
This is Gamestop and EB Games we're talking about, the people that will hire people just because they're friends of the manager, whether they know anything about video games or not. I go into a Gamestop and help people because the people working have no idea what the heck they're talking about. Doesn't surprise me they would let a couple bootlegs in.

Conquistador
13th April 2007, 1:07 AM
Well if he's a casual gamer he'll probably not waste too much of his time on the game.

I know plenty of casual gamers who have 150+ hours on their Pokemon games...

Theneedleman
13th April 2007, 1:33 AM
That's why I don't buy stuff from EB games/Gamestop.

Vaporeon4evr
13th April 2007, 2:15 AM
One of my pokemon-intense friends has one of these "boot-legged" Ruby's, but it works for him just fine. I'm not sure how legit these black rubys are, but his functions perfectly.

ShinyManafi
13th April 2007, 2:32 AM
This is Gamestop and EB Games we're talking about, the people that will hire people just because they're friends of the manager, whether they know anything about video games or not. I go into a Gamestop and help people because the people working have no idea what the heck they're talking about. Doesn't surprise me they would let a couple bootlegs in.

I constantly have to go into my local EB and "correct" some people ;/

Conquistador
13th April 2007, 5:53 AM
One of my pokemon-intense friends has one of these "boot-legged" Ruby's, but it works for him just fine. I'm not sure how legit these black rubys are, but his functions perfectly.

Just out of curiosity, is he able to trade?

The Emerald King
13th April 2007, 7:34 AM

Disscuss...

that's just.....sad

Evil_Lathander
13th April 2007, 9:17 AM
People should never rush when buying, that's where they catch you...

Pr1me_Minister
13th April 2007, 1:47 PM
Almost all gamestores in Malaysia sell bootlegged GBA games, and some fake Pokemon games have the most ridiculus subtitle and cover ever (I refuse to name them because it's really bad).

I should be too hard to spot bootlegged GBA games. A simple look at the connector is all they need. Real GBA games have gold plated circuit including the connector itself and you can see the Nintendo logo on top on the connector.

FYI, my Pokemon games are genuine thanks to some shops who willing to import for me. It isn't cheap but it's worth it.

ahmad_bulba
13th April 2007, 2:20 PM
i got tricked...too :( i wanted a ruby and my cuz bought it for me...he doesnt know anything abt pokemon..so he bouhgt a fake ruby cartridge(not his fault thouhg)..the cartridge was red but..its wasnt transparent..like the original .i felt so angry..i mean the names sux. pocheyana is PI DOG! and torchic F bIRD..and all the poke hav stupid names.. I mean can u beleive it??

Master Ballz
13th April 2007, 3:16 PM
F bird?

Muhahahaha....

Shayde
13th April 2007, 8:14 PM
Actually, I have a bootlegged Fire Red I bought on Ebay. It works perfectly well and I can trade just fine (and have done so multiple times). The 'Hall of Fame' data on the PC is always corrupted, but apart from that it's fully functional.

Manjot
13th April 2007, 8:20 PM
Anyone dumb enough to buy one deserves to get ripped off. Just my thoughts.

ahmad_bulba
14th April 2007, 8:56 AM
F bird?

Muhahahaha....

yes f bird and treeko is B frog...i want to kill tht shop keeper..it was a waste of time and money.

DaMike52
14th April 2007, 3:51 PM
I hate gamestores, they sold me a corrupted copy of mystery dungeon. Its a lot nicer to buy things on Amazon.

Conquistador
15th April 2007, 10:08 AM
Anyone dumb enough to buy one deserves to get ripped off. Just my thoughts.

Congrats, you just won the tight award of the month xP

I mean seriously, what if they were just thinking about getting into Pokemon and it was their first ever game? For more arguments read all my posts xP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

NB: Never buy games on Ebay, the majority of games you get on Ebay (or at least Pokemon games) are bootlegged. I've seen so many accounts of bootlegs on SPPf and nearly all of them were from Ebay..

Azure Wolf
15th April 2007, 10:53 AM
You should see the stores in India, all 100% FAKE, (I live there too..), I import my games from africa...

gradevoirs_leader
15th April 2007, 12:24 PM
i dont think anyone would buy it, and if they did silly them wat was the price on it?

entay
16th April 2007, 12:50 AM
i'm glad there's a thread on this because i have a few thoughts:
first and foremost it's not someones fault if they accidentally buy a pirated game. maybe it's someone's first pokemon game? they wouldn't know...
and second the people and gamestop and eb games are really nice people. theyre always really cool to me with whatever question i ask. and trust me they play alot of pokemon. this one guy i talked to yesterday is like me, buying a ds jsut to get diamond and pearl. and maybe THEY changed the game sticker to a cartradge that wasn't damaged or somthing. or mayeb the jsut didn't know.

Ghost_Hunter
16th April 2007, 3:31 AM
If I worked at a game store I would know what games are supposed to have different colored cartridges. Pokemon basicly, so I would probrably say that the store couldn't take that game cuz it's bootlegged. But that's just me, and I don't have any intentions on working at a EB or Gamestop in the near future. I'd rather work at KB, 30% employee discount(heard from a friend).

Conquistador
16th April 2007, 7:38 AM
i dont think anyone would buy it, and if they did silly them wat was the price on it?

No different to any of the legit Rubies. Give or take say $45 AUD.

i'm glad there's a thread on this because i have a few thoughts:
first and foremost it's not someones fault if they accidentally buy a pirated game. maybe it's someone's first pokemon game? they wouldn't know...
and second the people and gamestop and eb games are really nice people. theyre always really cool to me with whatever question i ask. and trust me they play alot of pokemon. this one guy i talked to yesterday is like me, buying a ds jsut to get diamond and pearl. and maybe THEY changed the game sticker to a cartradge that wasn't damaged or somthing. or mayeb the jsut didn't know.

I agree completely with everything but....

I don't get the part about moving the sticker.... that doesn't do anything to the actual game....

The Mighty Wurmple
16th April 2007, 8:29 AM
$45 O_O

I've seen 'em for $35 in some stores.
Second hand of course.

Conquistador
16th April 2007, 8:46 AM
Roughly, I'm not exactly sure.

I just bought a second hand FireRed for $45 AUD. ;_;

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
16th April 2007, 9:27 AM
Congrats, you just won the tight award of the month xP

I mean seriously, what if they were just thinking about getting into Pokemon and it was their first ever game? For more arguments read all my posts xP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

NB: Never buy games on Ebay, the majority of games you get on Ebay (or at least Pokemon games) are bootlegged. I've seen so many accounts of bootlegs on SPPf and nearly all of them were from Ebay..

I got a legit Pearl on Ebay :S

and I ALMOST fell for a fake, cos my local import store lied about the release of Leaf Green, so I got really mad and upset, and THANK GOD my mum lost the auction on a fake Leaf Green, cos she didn't know it was fake xD

But yeah, people starting out at pokemon, or parents probably won't know the difference between a fake and a real, so they could easily fall for it, however my friend's dad fell for it, and got a fake leaf green for his son, it works fine, the only difference is the cartridge colour, and my friend even had a crappy ROM where it made all legendaries really common, and it traded fine! (even tho I refused to get a Mew and Celebi that way)

btw, I was wondering: Japanese RED: Is the cartridge meant to be grey, or is it red like the US/UK versions?

alzzy126
16th April 2007, 9:37 AM
a guy at my school Khan ahmed owned a bootleg Firered that had shiny rayquaza mew mewtwo charizard blaziken and meganium all shiny except meganium lv 100 and every 9 months or so the game would delete itself he eventually gave it to me. i didnt care i could beat the game 20 times in 9 months so i would trade my pokemon to my emerald, so overall a bootleg is not that bad even though it is stealing which is not right but I GOT A FREE FIRERED YAY

Dusk
16th April 2007, 9:58 AM
Anyone stupid enough to buy a fake game deserves to be ripped off IMO.

I'd love to see the idiot who actually buys it.

PaperMoon07
17th April 2007, 4:44 AM
EB's here don't check stuff very thoroughly either. My friend's brother broke his PSP. It would only stay on for about 5 seconds, start flashing and making weird sounds, then turn off.

My friend brought it to the guy at an EB Games near his house as a joke, saying he wanted to sell it. I guess he wanted to see the guy's reaction, when he saw how bad it was. However, the guy turned it on, let it sit for 3 seconds, then turned it off.

He gave him the full amount for a used one!

Jkun
17th April 2007, 4:52 AM
This just in:

Not everyone play Pokemon. Besides, you can return used games, so no harm done to anyone but Gamestop, and that's fine by me.

Anaya
17th April 2007, 5:06 AM
I feel sorry for the sucker who buys it.

Conquistador
17th April 2007, 7:41 AM
Anyone stupid enough to buy a fake game deserves to be ripped off IMO.

I'd love to see the idiot who actually buys it.

What if it was a parent, or someone new to Pokemon? It's not their fault, they don't know any better. What you said was really quite mean.

Assassin
17th April 2007, 11:29 AM
To all those people saying things like "They deserve what they get for buying bootlegs", you do realise that not everyone is a gamer, right?

Say a mother walks into the local EB to buy a game for her son, and walks out with a pirate copy of a Pokemon game, that's her fault and she deserves it? That's just plain stupid. Not everyone is up-to-date on spotting bootlegs. Heck, some people don't even know that it's possible, let alone that your avarage Joe can do so from his own PC.

A quote earlier in this thread summed it up beautifully.

"Don't confuse ignorance with stupidity."

I will repeat that quote a thousand times over until it is drilled into each and every skull here.

Supergodzilla1
17th April 2007, 12:12 PM
One of my friends bought a pirate Emerald apparently, It's one of those Pokemon game hacks that has a totally different (fake) name and a black cartridge. My friend said, 'It must not be out yet in the US where you are.' (UK guy) I said it was a bootleg and that if he wanted to check he could try to trade. I also linked an article.

Afterwards he kept playing it accompanied by his other legit pokemon games. XD
So in the end, yes bootlegs suck, but still they can have some entertainment value if your not so hardcore as to revolve on the trading/catching all factor like so many. (Explains why people buy the twin version of whatever. XD)

Avoid Bootleggs, Help other avoid bootleggs, Report stuff on Ebay for being counterfeit. =P

Static95
17th April 2007, 12:23 PM
When my Friend Elliott Ordered a Game from America which was Suprisingly from EB he Received it as a Bootleg, And he couldn't save. He Pre-Ordered it but It either came as a Pre-Owned or EB got Bootlegs all over.

~Water Lucario~
17th April 2007, 12:32 PM
EB Games Staff probably don't know how the real game looks like since I doubt they are interested in Pokemon enough to know the games colour should be red.

Kaliber
17th April 2007, 1:49 PM
EB games is interested in Pokemon...when it makes money. But with Some people who jump from the next video game trend to the next, its hard to keep track of the colors or authenticity of games.

Pr1me_Minister
17th April 2007, 1:57 PM
Before you all say "people who accidentally bought bootlegged games deserves to be riped off". I have this to say.

Not every Pokemon fans are blessed living in countries where you can get official Nintendo merchandise easily. Some of us live in parts of the world where piracy is rampant.

For instance, I live in Malaysia. Almost every (95% is an understatement) game shops sells bootleg GBA games. And there're fake pokemon games with the most ridiculous subtitles. It's hard for us to locate the originals and even if we do, it'll cost a lot of money (I'm talking about paying USD50 per game).

Master Ballz
17th April 2007, 2:52 PM
I don't know about how things are in foreign countries but if someoone pays near or at retail in some cases for a used game here in the US at gamestop or the like and they buy a fakemon cart then they are a pretty foolish individual. There are just to many legit sources of these games and references to go by here to end up letting themselves get monetarily raped like that.

sandslash_1
17th April 2007, 3:46 PM
lol i had a bootlegged yellow when i was like 9 and didn't find out till like 2 years later then threw it out and got a new one stores are just like that they just wanna make there pay oh well.

Conquistador
18th April 2007, 8:51 AM
EB Games Staff probably don't know how the real game looks like since I doubt they are interested in Pokemon enough to know the games colour should be red.

It doesn't take a genius when two Ruby Versions are right next to the other and one looks totally different to the other to realise that one of them is a bootleg. In fact, they don't even have to know that it is a bootleg, they just have to think "Hmm, that's odd, why is that one a different colour? I better check that out". Almost as soon as they did check it out they'd find out that it is a bootleg.

MukkinMUK
18th April 2007, 9:09 AM
That kind of trouble.
In my EB games store, have we the same problem.
But only with fake pc games, not with ps2. (Or nintendo. Yet.)

Conquistador
18th April 2007, 9:24 AM
...Nobody's mentioned PS2 games... xP

Really? Fake PC games? They would be harder to bootleg (btw, there's a difference between cracking and bootlegging)

cxoa
18th April 2007, 12:33 PM
Before you all say "people who accidentally bought bootlegged games deserves to be riped off". I have this to say.

Not every Pokemon fans are blessed living in countries where you can get official Nintendo merchandise easily. Some of us live in parts of the world where piracy is rampant.

For instance, I live in Malaysia. Almost every (95% is an understatement) game shops sells bootleg GBA games. And there're fake pokemon games with the most ridiculous subtitles. It's hard for us to locate the originals and even if we do, it'll cost a lot of money (I'm talking about paying USD50 per game).

$50 isnt mega expensive, in the UK there about Ł30.00. and as the exchange rate is around $2 to the Ł1 that would put it around $60.00.

pochamalover
18th April 2007, 6:57 PM
ive seen that a lot aas well in my gameshop its a disgrace

sceptile33
18th April 2007, 8:34 PM
I think they were too busy and careless to even notice the difference.

Conquistador
20th April 2007, 11:21 AM
$50 isnt mega expensive, in the UK there about Ł30.00. and as the exchange rate is around $2 to the Ł1 that would put it around $60.00.

For some people 30pounds/50USD/70AUD is is a lot of money.

ive seen that a lot aas well in my gameshop its a disgrace

It sure is.

I think they were too busy and careless to even notice the difference.

Well that really shows the service and standard of the shop doesn't it...

ahmad_bulba
20th April 2007, 1:37 PM

EXACTLY.i live in pakistan and there is no way u can get an original game here..if i get the chance i ask my cousins incanada to get a cartridge or 2 for me...