PDA

View Full Version : Slowking or Politoed?

AMS1235
16th April 2007, 8:00 PM
I'm considering adding a new water pokemon to my team, but I'm caught between two. They would be Slowking, or Politoed. I plan on using whichever one I choose to be a special sweeper. The problem is that they are both good special sweepers. So what do you think? I've included movesets if your want to make suggestions.

http://www.serebiiforums.com/images/avatars/dp/199.png
Slowking@Leftovers
Nature : Modest
-Psychic
-Ice Beam
-Calm Mind
-Surf

http://www.serebiiforums.com/images/avatars/dp/186.png
Politoed @Salac Berry
Nature : Timid
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Psychic
-*need help with last move*

Scepgatr
16th April 2007, 8:06 PM
Slowking is better. You may consider Rest over Ice Beam/Psychic.

crudent
17th April 2007, 12:02 PM
[Starmie] Well Slowking is a nice sweeper indeed, but [Starmie] I can see it doing better with Focus Punch, as it has low speed to begin with, anyway. [Starmie] Although Smogon says that it "usually cannot afford it", I don't see Slowking being threatened much, unless it's from STAB Thunderbolts. But who sees that many Zapdos around anyway. I'll trust Scepgatr's [Starmie] rate, as Slowking does have enough defenses to Rest the damage off. [Starmie]

What? Better special sweeper? Oh, I thought you'd never ask.

Starmie @ Shell Bell
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

Let's weigh things here. Both Starmie and Slowking have the same Special Attack. Slowking gets Calm Mind to boost its Specials, Starmie gets Thunderbolt to counter fellow Waters. Starmie has base 115 Speed, "Slow"king has, well, "Slow" speed. (30 fyi)

I'm not saying that you must choose Starmie, but, hey, it's an option.

Sceptile Leaf Blade
17th April 2007, 4:13 PM
Both have their own advantages and disadvantages.

They both have the same attack stat.

Slowking has better HP, Defence, Sp.Atk, and Sp.Def, but Slowking is one of the slowest fully evolved pokémon around. Only Shuckle is even slower.

Politoed has the Water Absorb trait which can become handy since the AI is stupid enough to keep on using Surf against a Water Absorbing pokémon.

Slowking has a better Special Movepool, both have access to Psychic, Surf, and Ice Beam, but Slowking can also use Calm Mind and Flamethrower. Politoed can use Hypnosis, even though that sucks because it's accuracy stinks and it can be that you are attacking three times with Hypnosis before it hits, and they wake up after one turn of fast asleep.

Finally, Slowking can also get pretty tough on the physical side of things, with Curse. The Speed penalty isn't a big deal because you aren't going to outrun anything anyway. You can also try to outrun some pokémon by wisely using Thunder Wave.

Overall, I think Slowking is the better choice, with better stats, and Flamethrower, Calm Mind, Thunder Wave, and Curse access. Politoed certainly has his advantages though, such as speed, and Water Absorb

Skater Trainer
17th April 2007, 6:10 PM
if u must chose from slowking or politoed go with slowking but i would prefer u go with starmie like crudent said

Prio
17th April 2007, 6:19 PM
Go with Slowking.

Yami Marius
17th April 2007, 7:48 PM
Politoed because its' faster. I consider speed to be a vital part of a Special Sweeper. Give it Surf, Ice Beam, Psychic and Hypnotic. And his doesn't have a Dark weakness.

bella_bellaboo
17th April 2007, 9:12 PM
do you mean he doesn't have a dark weakness,and lol Hypnotic.

TheRowdyRenegade
24th May 2014, 5:12 PM
You see my picture and avatar go with Politoed he's faster he can learn a wide array of move's

TheDrowzeeAbra
11th June 2014, 7:47 PM
I prefer Slowking. I used him on my team for a long time and he was a beast! This is the moveset I swear by for Slowking.

Slowking@Leftovers
Ability: Regenorator
Move Set:
-Surf (Or maybe scald for 5th gen and above)
-Psychic
-Calm Mind (nasty plot for 4th gen and above)
-Yawn

Step 1: Yawn to put your enemy to sleep and show them how bored you are with this battle
Step 2: Set up multiple calm minds (nasty plots) and boost your stats way up
Step 3: Proceed to wreck their team
???????
PROFIT!!!!