PDA

View Full Version : Some Enchanted Sweetening (498)

Serebii
20th April 2007, 8:55 AM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/498.jpgSome Enchanted Sweetening

On their way through Eterna Forest, Ash & Co. meet up with a trainer called Cheryl. She is looking for Sweet Honey so she can get some really rare Pokémon. Having found some Burmy, she learned that it has many different evolved forms. Having obtained three of them, Cheryl is trying to evolve her final Burmy to see what it will become. Team Rocket however have their eyes set on this Worm Family. Will they be stopped?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/shinou/498.shtml)

Discuss

Pachirisu
20th April 2007, 8:58 AM
I saw this episode on T.V. It is pretty awsome. One of the better episodes IMO.

The Benmeister
20th April 2007, 12:36 PM
What a great episode. Burmy is one comical character. I loved it whenever it used its vine because it looked super-cool, and it was a laugh when it charged at Turtwig but then fell over and lost all its leaves. Speaking of losing its leaves, how the hell does it put it back on? It just seemed to move them around with its head.

Lol at the Burmy/Team Rocket scenes, especially when Wobuffet popped up with a melon and some chocolate on a plate, and when Meowth knocked out Burmy and everyone cheered only for them to suddenly remember that they wanted Burmy to win.

One of the funniest points of the episode, however, was Chansey slapping the hell out of everything and throwing its egg at its opponents. Ouch.

The episode's only downside is that Mothim sounds like a demented sheep :/

Zaraze
20th April 2007, 12:43 PM
LOL Burmy needs to get some glue. Mothim was cool and I liked seeing Wormadam. Wish Ash had gotten to battle all 3 Wormadams and Mothim at the end though. Oh well good episode overall and a nice deubt for Burmy's family.

Maestro Kinético
20th April 2007, 2:10 PM
I didn't like this episode, its a very typical filler where a Pokémon evolves. The Minomadams were very stale, they looked like figures. The Team Rocket plan was very old and Giovanni scenes where very disgusting. I liked when Minomutchi used it's whip but the rest of the episode was a little bit boring. They didn't feature Mothim very well, they should have explained the evolution better.

The animation was great though.

Gravy
20th April 2007, 2:20 PM
This episode was a little too 'been there, done that' for my tastes. The whole thing was essentially just a different take on the old Paras episode, only with a more interesting pokémon line and a different motive from Team Rocket. Yeah, it had it's highlights, and it did do a decent job with showcasing everyone's faourite nekkid bug, but I don't think that was enough to save this episode from being rather tedious.

LO...*ahem*
Maybe it was pretty decent for a Kinoshita episode, but that's not saying much at all. Calling something like this great is a massive overstatement :/

kisei717
20th April 2007, 2:20 PM
what is the girl doing with them at the end?

Kuroshi
20th April 2007, 2:28 PM
what is the girl doing with them at the end?

She will be staying with the group for the next few episodes.

kisei717
20th April 2007, 2:31 PM
thats cool

pochama_blue
20th April 2007, 2:50 PM
cool episode, i loved burmy, im a bit disapointed that Mothim only got about 2mins screentime but at least its in next weeks with Gardenia,

Dax
20th April 2007, 2:56 PM
Seviper and Carnivine look awesome together. They look fierce.

So, Staravia is the pokemon that appears in every episode but only 2 seconds. It's been happening a lot. Almost in every episode.

Mothim looks so awesome and Burmy was great! I liked the episode.

S.Suikun
20th April 2007, 3:01 PM
I laughed. I really did. And to think you called the animation in the Pachirisu episode horrible...

Anyways, as Gravy said, this was pretty much a slightly-less-crappy version of "The Problem With Paras" (one of Kanto's worst episodes, for the record). The Giovanni fantasy was so disturbing I couldn't help but chuckle up a storm, though. And since we've been low on new debuts lately, three in one episode certainly is nice. I'm just hoping Wormadam does something in the next two episodes, as it quite literally didn't do a thing here.

TeddiUrsa
20th April 2007, 3:28 PM
[QUOTE=S.Suikun;6009662]
The Giovanni fantasy was so disturbing I couldn't help but chuckle up a storm, though.[=QUOTE]

What was Nyrath´s plan anyway? Polish Sakaki with the bug pokemon into an all-shiny speedo-man? ^^;

The episode had decent animation for a kinoshita episode, but that´s all. There were many little colouring errors and a few off-models, the battles were mostly just stale images, but overall Kinoshita improved.
Still,...calling th animation great...If it wasn´t a comment from MK I´d say it was irony..^^;

I agree with S.Suikun ad Gravy, this episode was too much of a (..should I say it...) rehash...of older evolution-helping episodes that I can´t really enjoy it as much as if it was something new and fresh.

Still, the episode had its moments and wasn´t bad per se.

Gravy
20th April 2007, 3:38 PM
What was Nyrath´s plan anyway? Polish Sakaki with the bug pokemon into an all-shiny speedo-man? ^^;

I think it was something along the lines of finding the sweet honey, and having Giovanni coat himself in the stuff so he could attract lots of (possibly...most likely....definately horny) random pokémon. Innovative!
Of course, to actually find the honey, they assumedly needed a Garmeil to sniff it out...that's where the whole 'evolve the nekkid bug' stuff came in.

Y'know, I wonder if Gio really does have a body like that, or if it's just Meowth's wishful thinking...

Dax
20th April 2007, 4:07 PM
Help episodes are not usually the best episodes because you already know what is going to happen. I think the only "help episode" that I liked was the one with May and the gang helping Swablu to fly.

PiPikachu
20th April 2007, 4:14 PM
Nice to see a bit of nod to the girl they meet in this ep being as she helps you through the eterna forest in the game :)

None the less a good episode.

Dax
20th April 2007, 4:42 PM
I was really impressed by Cheryl's design. She looks great, she would make a great rival for Dawn.

Zaraze
20th April 2007, 5:03 PM
In the game does she have a Burmy/Wormadam/Mothim?

Anyways it wasn't nearly as bad as the Drifloon episode. And hopefully Mothim attacks Gardenia in the next episode.

ChaosMage
20th April 2007, 6:25 PM
In the game does she have a Burmy/Wormadam/Mothim?

No, just Chansey. I wonder if that egg of Chansey's holds the infamous Happiny? It's about to be scrambled by the looks of it!

uber gon
20th April 2007, 9:07 PM
Weel it's good that the animé is following some of the game elements.

pochama_blue
20th April 2007, 9:08 PM
No, just Chansey. I wonder if that egg of Chansey's holds the infamous Happiny? It's about to be scrambled by the looks of it!

actually Cheryl has all of these Pokemon when you team up with her in the battle tower
Snorlax
Espeon
Umbreon
Porygon2
Blissey (chansey once)
Milotic
Latias
Latios
Gastrodon
Porygon-Z
Cresselia
...but no Burmy, Wormadam or Mothim

Dax
20th April 2007, 9:28 PM

So if the egg is Happiny, then that means that we are going to have another brain damaged pokemon?

I doubt it because I think Happiny's egg will be obtained in the Cosplay episode.

uber gon
20th April 2007, 10:52 PM
So if the egg is Happiny, then that means that we are going to have another brain damaged pokemon?

I doubt it because I think Happiny's egg will be obtained in the Cosplay episode.
Um, right.

Firemaker
21st April 2007, 12:08 AM
It would be interesting if the egg hatched to Happiny and was given to Brock, which he will get anyway.

However, we are getting off-topic from the episode. It looked okay, but I quickly thought of it as another paras-evolution episode from Kanto. I can still remember the episode so well...

R_N
21st April 2007, 1:53 AM
Seemed like a nice filler, judgiung from the pics. Great to see taht they're giving us the team uppers, expecially this girl, whose name I've forgotten. SHe has to have one of the best character designs ever. Have to make up for the lack of Team Galactic somehow.
Oh and a battling Chansey! I liked the Burmy, too.

I think it was something along the lines of finding the sweet honey, and having Giovanni coat himself in the stuff so he could attract lots of (possibly...most likely....definately horny) random pokémon. Innovative!
Of course, to actually find the honey, they assumedly needed a Garmeil to sniff it out...that's where the whole 'evolve the nekkid bug' stuff came in.

Y'know, I wonder if Gio really does have a body like that, or if it's just Meowth's wishful thinking...
SO it's kind of a mix of the Paras episode, the Donphan episode, AND the Shuckle epsiode. Helping a poke evolve, finding something important(Sweeet Honey), and becoming horney to attract pokemon(ala Shuckle's juices).

Weel it's good that the animé is following some of the game elements.
Amen to that!

Oh, and so gald I don't have to scourge the internet fro DP anymore! SHOuldn't be too long before we in the US cathch up.

Silverline
21st April 2007, 12:19 PM
I agree with the whole 'this episode is the Problem with Paras' Episode. It just kinda fell a little flat, though there were some rather good moments (Such as Meowth defeating Burmy then realizing it was supposed to lose.)

So Cheryl's pulling a Richie? If it wasn't for the fact that she has three of the same pokemon (albeit different types) I would think she would have the potential to stay on with the gang (considering this season of pokemon has been throwing us curve balls). I'm curious on where this could go.

Ashy Boy
21st April 2007, 2:08 PM
I didn't really like Cheryl being so gullible when Team Rocket interferred.

kisei717
21st April 2007, 2:21 PM
i think it would be cool if she stayed with them. its never been 4 people only 3. but i dont know

uber gon
21st April 2007, 10:43 PM
Frankly I just don't wann think about the boss fantasy for the next episode.

ChaosMage
21st April 2007, 10:48 PM
i think it would be cool if she stayed with them. its never been 4 people only 3. but i dont know

Was Max THAT forgettable?

Dax
21st April 2007, 10:53 PM
Was Max THAT forgettable?

I kinda want to forget about the guy but he was so annoying that it's hard. :(

R_N
22nd April 2007, 8:13 AM
So Cheryl's pulling a Richie? If it wasn't for the fact that she has three of the same pokemon (albeit different types) I would think she would have the potential to stay on with the gang (considering this season of pokemon has been throwing us curve balls). I'm curious on where this could go.

Problem with that is(and as interesting as that would be-i'd have on objections) is she isn't shown in the movie previews and she wouldn't really have a role in the gang. i could see her being hte one to give the Happiny egg to Brock though.

Zack
22nd April 2007, 11:46 AM
Thanks to TR, Burmy got motivated to fight well while Ash n co. battles....
The part where Burmy tackles Wofferbutt n it counters is dam funni....haha...

Lucario At Service
22nd April 2007, 8:12 PM
I just now say the episode & i wanna know if anyone has pointed this or not. When Cheryl captured the Burmy the pokeball bip 7 times. Normally in the show i have seen the pokeball bip 2 to 3 times & 4 times if it is a very strong pokemon. But i don't think Burmy is that strong that it took so much time for it to get captured.

Dax
23rd April 2007, 3:57 PM
I just watched the episode and I was hooked from the beginning thanks to Aipom. I thought it was funny how the element of the game was incorporated in the anime.

Even that it wasn't an amazing episode I enjoyed myself. Burmy was really funny especially when he was with Team Rocket.

Cheryl was a good character, with an amazing design and great pokemons. I'm not convinced about her three Wormadam because I honestly thought they were boring. Her Chansey was really weird, that poor thing in the egg must be traumatized. How many times did Chansey use that egg to hit the opponent?

Carnivine and Seviper together is a complete win. They both have mean designs and I loved the mean image they portrayed when they are together.

Mothim voice was kinda ehhh. I agree that the pokemon sounded like a sheep. I honestly think he deserved a better voice because this one really doesn't fit. And I didn't like the fact that he wasn't so active in the episode. He evolved practically in the final scenes

I would like to see a Dustox vs. Mothim battle.

Anyway, it was good, not great but good. Hopefully Gardenia vs. Ash will be better.

Geodude
23rd April 2007, 11:02 PM
About Chansey's egg-throwing...Well, what did you guys think an Egg Bomb was supposed to look like? :p At least it didn't use Softboiled, then people would've really freaked out. :p

Dax
23rd April 2007, 11:05 PM
About Chansey's egg-throwing...Well, what did you guys think an Egg Bomb was supposed to look like? :p At least it didn't use Softboiled, then people would've really freaked out. :p

Let's just hope Happiny is not in there... :p

soldod41
13th May 2007, 3:58 AM
that was pimp

soldod41
that was pimp

soldod41
that was pimp

reehee
1st June 2007, 6:13 PM
Saw the episode. I like it very much. Burmy was really funny from the start, when it fell from the tree and gathered its leaves quickly. But the best part must be when it was with Team Rocket.
Cheryl's appearence is great, too.

WaterDragon trainer
29th September 2007, 3:04 PM
This episode was very good. It was good to see Attract in the anime. It was also cool to see an Egg Bomb in the anime (I don’t recall seeing it before). It was really cool to see the 3 different Wormadam. It was very funny when Burmy ate all of TR’s food. It was hilarious when TR wanted Wobbuffet used Counter against Burmy, Burmy using Protect against Wobbuffet, the battle between Meowth and Burmy, and Meowth accidently KOing Burmy. It was cool to see a Mothim.

Dogasu
29th September 2007, 4:57 PM
Apparently, PUSA cut out the Boss Fantasy.

Image (http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/message_boards/sakaki_honey.jpg)

CabbyFish
29th September 2007, 5:20 PM
Based on that image, I can probably see why.

This was a nice episode, but I don't understand why Burmy would just use tackle when it was able to use hidden power all along. Other that that, everything pretty much falls into place.

Asrialys
29th September 2007, 9:48 PM
Haha, awesome. Cheryl had a voice to match her personality. Suddenly reminded me of Luna from Harry Potter :P

"Like my beloved grandfather once said, once you've caught a Bug-type Pokemon, you may never hold hands with a man again."

How convenient...

Juuhachigou
30th September 2007, 10:45 AM
I was wondering what Giovanni fantasy everyone was talking cause I didn't see it...then it must have been too disturbing to air, lol.

I loved this episode, Team Rocket was actually pretty funny this time. Wobbuffet never gets old to me, haha. I liked when they cheered that Meowth won but realized they had to lose lol. Also Wobbuffet trying to block Burmy and getting pwned was pretty funny, even tho I love the blue blob :) Also Team Rocket's Pokemon actually dodging an attack from Pikachu, wtf! lol That was pretty awesome actually, they must be getting a little better finally.

Meowth: Now its time for us to fly across the land!
Wobbuffet: WOBBUFFET! XD

lol XD

Corzola
30th September 2007, 11:37 AM
Hm, I really didn´t like Cheryl in the beginning but she grow a bit in the end. Liked her Grandpa comments and Brocks "what a man" comment. :D

Even if she is going to stay a few eps I don´t think she is the "right" fourth member of the group (long time member). But for a few eps she can be ok I guess.

Some funny moments so I give the episode 6/10 overall.

Korobooshi Kojiro
30th September 2007, 7:43 PM
The Boss Scene was sad to see go...

...however, PUSA didn't edit Nekkid Burmy...talk about hypocritical, eh?

Reign G
30th September 2007, 9:11 PM
I didn't understand that bit with the bug-types and holding a man's hands...What did she say in Japan?

-Starly-
30th September 2007, 11:26 PM
I was wondering what Giovanni fantasy everyone was talking cause I didn't see it...then it must have been too disturbing to air, lol.
Here you go. (http://pocketmonsters.net/Sakaki/src/11911532381.gif)

Disregarding the edit, it was a pretty good dub. Cheryl sounded like I thought she would, and the Counter VS Protect bit gave me a little chuckle. Only thing that sucked is that Wormadam was shafted to like 15 seconds of screentime.

Asrialys
1st October 2007, 5:17 AM
I didn't understand that bit with the bug-types and holding a man's hands...What did she say in Japan?
I think it's supposed to mean that the grandfather "taught" her ways where a man wouldn't come near her.

Ashy Boy
1st October 2007, 1:29 PM
Who was the VA for Cheryl?

Asrialys
1st October 2007, 2:03 PM
Who was the VA for Cheryl?
Not really sure. They don't show who does whom during the credits. However, Michelle Knotz, the new voice actress from Misty, is credited despite not showing up at all. I can only assume that Cheryl is actually voiced by Michelle Knotz. But don't take my word for it.

Cobalt_Latios
2nd October 2007, 5:33 PM
Not really sure. They don't show who does whom during the credits. However, Michelle Knotz, the new voice actress from Misty, is credited despite not showing up at all. I can only assume that Cheryl is actually voiced by Michelle Knotz. But don't take my word for it.
It could be Emily Jeness, cause you see her in the credits.

Overall not a bad episode. Croagunk "trying" to jab Brock but having it taken away by Cheryl who completely ignores Brock and uses that saying to "avoid" him(I don't mean that literally, but you get the idea). Why did this episode remind me so much of "Problem with Paras", having Team Rocket battling it to make it evolve, though there it was to boost confidence.

Here's what confused me: Burmy uses that thing on its head to "fling" Wobbuffet once Ash and co. arrive. Why couldn't it have done this in the first place when battling it originally?

Anyhow, not bad.

~C_L~

Asrialys
5th October 2007, 12:55 AM
Here's what confused me: Burmy uses that thing on its head to "fling" Wobbuffet once Ash and co. arrive. Why couldn't it have done this in the first place when battling it originally?
Well, duh, they always save their best moves for the end :P

Juuhachigou
5th October 2007, 1:12 AM
Here you go. (http://pocketmonsters.net/Sakaki/src/11911532381.gif)

Disregarding the edit, it was a pretty good dub. Cheryl sounded like I thought she would, and the Counter VS Protect bit gave me a little chuckle. Only thing that sucked is that Wormadam was shafted to like 15 seconds of screentime.

OOOMG that's just wrong lol! XD

uber gon
9th October 2007, 4:40 AM
OOOMG that's just wrong lol! XD

Frankly, I'm happy the boss wasn't featured.

RageKaiser
12th October 2007, 1:45 AM
Is talking normally such a hard thing to accomplish when it comes to PUSA's version of team rocket?
Just because we're in America does not mean we constantly need outdated slang from whenever they think is cool >_>

and whoever told these people to use puns every 5 seconds (once again with TR) needs to be slapped.

Rebeccag
28th October 2007, 11:33 PM
good episode i liked burmy and cheryl seems cool as well i liked her grandpa comments a well it reminded me of that paras- parasect episode in kanto too

SpongeBoblover
7th November 2007, 3:16 AM
I liked Cheryl & her voice I thought it was sweet, oh yeah I think PUSA cut out the boss fantasy becuase it was disturbing the watchers would all be like O.O & throwing up >P

wobbanut
26th August 2008, 2:12 AM
Oh God, Cheryl, Sinnoh's answer to Marina (the Raikou episodes). I've been trying to block out the memory of that character's voice since the three-parter aired. Needless to say I really hated the Eterna Forest three-parter (apart from Gardenia). The burma story was cute, and I LOL'd at the part when burmy lost its leaves and quickly gathered them back up, but Cheryl really ruins this episode. And I like her so much in the games.

Tadashi
8th November 2008, 9:07 AM
Burmy was obviously voiced by Ash's VA. OMG I had a nice laugh watching that XD;

I don't recall seeing that... completely revolting... Boss Scenario in the dub. I hope they cut it... x_x; The pictures absolutely terrify me beyond any level that words can express.

Rommath
24th January 2009, 2:15 PM
Alright episode. Burmy vs. Wobbuffet was funny, seriously, what did they expect? And Team Rocket spent all that effort feeding and trying to train Burmy only to get pummeled in the end. Shame Wormadam didn't get much focus, but oh well.

Igottapoo
24th January 2009, 2:47 PM
Meh it was kinda boring. "I am looking for teh enchanted honey" wut?

BogleDominic Crazy Anime
4th March 2009, 9:19 PM

Its dirty!!!!! lol

CyberCubed
4th March 2009, 10:13 PM
Burmy was just a repeat of Paras from Kanto

Gravy
4th March 2009, 10:45 PM
Paras wasn't stripped naked several times though.

(s.i.e)
10th March 2009, 1:41 PM
it was fun to see burmy without it's cloack in this episode, when i first saw an image of it i was assuming it was a stick on leaves with a head:p

S.Suikun
11th June 2009, 5:32 AM
Call me shallow, but I like Momi a lot for her looks, not her personality. While I'm glad they gave a game partner a full three episodes, she is hardly an interesting character. That said, she ranks on the upper tier of Pokemon girls in terms of looks. In her debut, of course, she appears as a green-haired stick figure courtesy of Ms. Kinoshita. If that weren't enough to repulse me, they just had to rehash "The Problem With Paras", which is a candidate for the most horrid episode of the first season. Things like Minomutchi's indecent exposure, the Sakaki fantasy, and the fact that Garmeil is a pretty cool Pokemon save it from being as bad, but it's still bad.

Minomadam is the real victim here. We see its various forms out of their Pokeball for a split second and then never again in Momi's three episodes. Since then, its rock form has gotten a brief appeal under Ulala and nothing else. The entire attempted method for evolving Minomutchi is incredibly boring, using every element that made the Paras outing so dreadful (even recycling Nyasu's involvement). There were a few comical moments sprinkled throughout, but Momi is overall fortunate that the writers gave her an additional two episodes (Mira, who also gets a mediocre episode, is not as lucky).

D+

Dreamcoat
22nd July 2009, 2:00 AM
Re-watching this episode a few days after seeing HP & tHPP made me realise that Cheryl strongly reminds me of Luna Lovegood, due to her voice and some of the things she keeps on saying.

Something which only made me enjoy this episode so much more the second time around.

Lorde
13th December 2009, 5:35 PM
Hmm I liked it. Cheryl had an interesting debut episode and she got her own mini-arc; something I wasn't expecting for her character at all. I didn't like that Burmy and it's evolutions appeared in this one though. Sinnoh seems to have debuted many Pokemon at the same time and that made some of the later episodes lag due to a lack of new Pokemon to showcase. Fun Eterna Forest episode nonetheless. 7/10.

Ash-kid
18th December 2009, 9:43 AM
Cheryl was a great trainer. i loved to see her Burmy evolving.

And TR was very mean, but the friends stop them quickly.

5/10

KGB13
17th January 2010, 10:14 PM
This reminded me A LOT of the old Paras episode from Kanto, it was almost exactly the same. Cheryl was depicted well and was pretty close to her game character. This episode was OK, nothing special.

Willow's Tara
1st June 2010, 3:06 AM
I don't see the Boss fantasy that disturbing, although a bit weird (Especially if he is actually naked, takes notes that there is no shirt anywhere on his arm).

Anyways it was a so and so episode, although I don't think it should have gone on for three episodes (The part that made it interesting was Gardenia, wish she had been in all three, including when they found the Amber Castle).
Definitely like the Paras episode except for Burmy having no leaves on it. It was nice that evolved aleast.

Lance The Champ
2nd December 2010, 2:09 PM
Alas! Team Rocket did not get any reward after they trained Burmy so well

G50
27th April 2011, 7:49 AM
This episode was ok... It was cool to see Plant-Cloak Wormadon, Sand-Cloak Wormadon, Trash-Cloak Wormadon, and Mothim for the 1st time. It was cool to see a Plant-Cloak Burmy again. It was very smart for Cheryl to use a Chansey that knows Attract to find out if the Burmy was a male or not. It was great that they explained about the male/female gender-only evolutions for Burmy. Burmy looked cool when it used its vine to attack TR. It was funny when Meowth knocked out Burmy when he was supposed to be allowing Burmy to win.

40/100

Littlemyuu
14th June 2011, 1:58 AM
Burmy is cute, never knew it looked so odd when all his leaves fell off xD
it was cool and i really like this episode

TabiPianist
7th July 2011, 2:20 AM
I dont know if it was just me or not but I really didnt get this episode. What is with cheryl? Her skirt? Woth those boots? And her hair? But i only think that when i watch this one episode. I get the other ones with her in it. I even think cheryl looks cute. Im confused. Like i said i dont get the episode.

Bulba the Great!
26th June 2012, 7:45 AM
Re-watching this episode a few days after seeing HP & tHPP made me realise that Cheryl strongly reminds me of Luna Lovegood, due to her voice and some of the things she keeps on saying.

Something which only made me enjoy this episode so much more the second time around.

That just improved the episode in retrospect for me, tremendously.

Some of Cheryl's early dialogue makes her sound a little condescending, unintentionally.

"I'm so thankful for advice from a girl I've never even met", while delivered kindly, really seems a bit snarky...

The way she introduces herself is amusing, too. "My friends call me Cheryl." So that's not your real name? Only your friends can use your first name? What did you mean?

32er
26th June 2012, 2:09 PM
I hated these 3 episodes and they reminded me of Johto fillers.
2/10