PDA

View Full Version : Different Kinds of Teams

Vaporeon4evr
26th April 2007, 12:33 AM
It's been called to my attention recently that there are several different "kinds of teams".

1. Competitive Teams: teams that you break your back to IV breed and EV train, spending many hours trying to get that perfect Salamence, or that Impish Skarmory. Pretty much, if you're a hardcore pokefan, these are the kinds of teams you'll be making.

2. Battle Frontier/In-Game Teams: Personally, I've spent about 150 hours trying to create a perfect Battle Frontier team. BF is just one big hax to me, but I still love trying my skills against the best of the (ingame) best. It's similar to competitive battling, only prediction is easier, as AI follows certain patterns. BF team creating, though, is very challenging. Just don’t pull out your hair when your perfect Tyranitar gets KO’d by a Walrein with Sheer Cold.

3. Scramble Challenges: I've always wanted to do one of these, although I'm too afraid of erasing data on my games to do one. As the name suggests, you take six pokemon at random (whether by recommendation or random draw) and try to beat the game with those six. Very fun to do. Players looking for a good time will enjoy scramble challenges.

4. Monotype Teams: Also as the name suggests, you choose one type and use pokemon only of that type throughout the game. These teams are similar to Scramble Challenges in that you have to beat the game with restrictions on the pokemon you use, but also add another challenge of creating a universal weakness for your team. You need to have thorough knowledge of dual-type pokemon to pull one off, but that’s what makes it all the more fun (just try beating Wallace with a monotype fire team.)

5. Ordinary/E4 Teams: This is my personal favorite team to use. If you’re six years old, this is the kind of team you’re likely to be using. This is pretty much the essence of Pokemon and what makes it so fun. I love restarting my games, simply because I love the thrill of catching, training, and battling with Pokemon. With these teams, it doesn’t matter whether you work for Gamefreak or a first-time kid: E4 teams capture what pokemon is all about. Not having to worry about natures, ev’s, and iv’s is also pretty nice.

These are five different kinds of teams that I could think of. What are your thoughts on these teams, and which do you like creating and using? This is an open discussion thread.

Personally, E4 teams and BF teams are my favorite. I have made it my life’s purpose to conquer the battle frontier, and starting new games (like the Diamond I got yesterday) is almost like a hobby to me.

#Gecko#
26th April 2007, 1:15 AM
Well, add a monopokemon team?
Means you'll have to make a team of just one Pkmn (i.e Sceptile) with different functions(walls,sweepers,etc.) But no ubers

WhyteMage
26th April 2007, 11:27 AM
I like to use mono-teams (see sig), and BF/competitive teams. Thought I don't go for IV's, they're way too much of a hassle. The only way I'd consider IV breeding is everstoning the nature...

Kyaku
26th April 2007, 4:21 PM
I like using E4/Ordinary teams. But I'm trying to make a competitive team on Firered with my favorites. (Even though I don't even do competitive battling.)

parasectdude
26th April 2007, 5:11 PM
I battle competitively.

Scepgatr
26th April 2007, 7:37 PM
I mostly battle in Battle Frontier. Sometimes, I battle competitively as well.

shaoon
27th April 2007, 7:12 AM
Competative teams are too hard. I have deen trying to get a bold, or similar, ralts for a few days. I won't give up, but I always get them with too little defence IVs.

Vaporeon4evr
28th April 2007, 12:22 AM
Competative teams are too hard. I have deen trying to get a bold, or similar, ralts for a few days. I won't give up, but I always get them with too little defence IVs.

Bold Ralts...defense IV's? Ok...That's unusual. I'm going to sig that.

I'm addicted to battle frontier teams (although I've perfected mine, so there's not much else to do expect try to win), and I'm currently glued to my Diamond.

#Gecko#
28th April 2007, 2:26 AM
I thought you meant to say other kinds of team.LOL I just train Pkmn for BF or for competitive battling in Diamond.

BlazingFury
30th April 2007, 1:32 AM
I mostly do just the ordinary teams and try to use pokemon I've never used before each time I restart. Next time I restart though I mite try a monotype team. I would try to train a competitive team but I seriously just don't have the patience.

FlyingTotodile
1st May 2007, 5:18 PM
I like ordinary teams and my battlefrontier teams. I think i mite make a monopokemon team and go through the game with it

Alzi
2nd May 2007, 12:06 PM

To battle competitively you need to be patient on getting your pokemon and need good prediction and skill.

So thats why i like them since you put your mind to it alot.

Lord_Sunday
4th May 2007, 12:26 PM
monotype is fun

IcyKerpymon
4th May 2007, 9:00 PM
I use a Scramble Team:
Milotic
Roselia/Roserade(DP)
Metagross
Salamence/Lucario(DP)
Heracross
Sceptile/Garchomp(DP)