PDA

View Full Version : An Angry Combeenation! (500)

Serebii
4th May 2007, 7:29 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/500.jpgAn Angry Combeenation!

After splitting from Gardenia, Ash & Co. continue their search for Honey with their new friend Cheryl. Chasing a Combee that they found, they find a massive hive filled with Combee. However, Team Rocket see this and want the Combee. The hive's leader however, is not too happy with Team Rocket or Ash & Co's presence in the hive...

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/shinou/500.shtml)

Discuss

Maestro Kinético
4th May 2007, 8:38 PM
I'm sorry but I didn't like this episode at all. The animation was very bad, and those Mitsuhoneys looked very artifical and badly drawn. Nothing really happened and Beequeen didn't do anything. The battle againts TR was also bland, attract?

The only good thing was when they entered the cave and Dark Beequeen appeared with red eyes.

S.Suikun
4th May 2007, 9:33 PM
Maestro, every time you post, I feel like popping in another Zoloft.
Anyways, haven't done a rapidfire review in a while, so I shall do so now:

- Combee is a freak, you hear me? A FREAK.
- I like how this new art director does faces.
- It's a wall of Combfreaks! I shall refer to it as Freakwall!
- Did I mention that Cheryl tickles my fancy?
- Superb lighting effects. You can certainly tell this director worked on the movies.
- DEMONIC COMBFREAKS! Their master is probably a Bidoof.
- Nice touch with the Combfreaks' gender differences.
- I take it Wormadam's gonna do nothing in this episode. AGAIN.
- MEGA FREAKWALL LIVES! And CG that actually impresses me!
- I swear I played this level in Donkey Kong Country 2.
- You fools! You've just awakened King Zing!
- Wow, Vespiquen...didn't do much.
- And Croagunk is the only one who finds the honey disgusting.
- Cheryl's gone. Me = Sad. Sadder than Brock.
- RANDOM BUG/GRASS POKEMON MOB!

Pretty good for a filler. A beehive isn't something that's been done before, either, in spite of countless Spear attacks over the years. Kinda wish Vespiquen did more, but the new art director gets a gold star in my book.

Korobooshi Kojiro
4th May 2007, 9:35 PM
Yeah, I liked how the animator shaded the episode, especially when it was all dark.

The guy worked on Movie 8, and I definately thought it showed. It was a pretty impressive backdrop, like the Tree of Origin was.

FireHead Hank
4th May 2007, 10:08 PM
I really liked this episode. Vespiqueen seemed very misterious and cool. She is the queen of A LOT of Combees......which I think are even more awesome when they get together to form a big Combee or a "bee-wall".

Mothim was getting on my nerves for some reason...especially when it destroyed the whole combee-wall with only one attack.

Weav-vile
4th May 2007, 10:31 PM
Another awesome episode!

Gorgeous animation, nice battles, plenty of funny moments, nice BGM... It all rocked a lot.
I also loved to see Buneary again. I was missing that thing <3

About Vespiquen... Of course she did a lot! She used Attack Order all the time... Or do you people think those Combee were really using Psybeam? C'mon, if they were it would be nonsense that Vespiquen would do nothing while her home were breaking apart. =P

Oh, and... Cheryl's gone. Gah, I liked her. :~

I'm sorry but I didn't like this episode at all. The animation was very bad, and those Mitsuhoneys looked very artifical and badly drawn. Nothing really happened and Beequeen didn't do anything. The battle againts TR was also bland, attract?

The only good thing was when they entered the cave and Dark Beequeen appeared with red eyes.

Are you insane?
If I recall correctly, you said you were an art student or something... Now, let me ask you: how do you want to become a decent professional if you can't even recognize good animation? My... You're such a pain in the azz. -_-

Ashy Boy
4th May 2007, 11:17 PM
Typical Team Rocket, they try so hard at actually winning only to lose out at the end of an episode and this ep is no different.

The only other thing that annoyed me was Jessie's big head when she mocked Ash & Co.

CyberCubed
5th May 2007, 2:09 AM
Haha, the writers DID seem like they got inspiration of this episode from Donkey Kong Country 2.

Amusing.

-Starly-
5th May 2007, 2:14 AM
The only other thing that annoyed me was Jessie's big head when she mocked Ash & Co.
Baleen Whale Ver. 4 was awesome. I really liked how the gang looked like flat paper cut-outs when she yelled.

Korobooshi Kojiro
5th May 2007, 5:06 AM
Seviper swatting away the Combee was pretty sweet. There's a reason one of my forum names is named after him.

Vespiquen technically did do quite a bit, when you remember she was controlling all the Combee to attack.

And yes, Oak getting beat up by Pokemon seems to be back after a LONG absense!

Bliksem
5th May 2007, 10:47 AM
Eh... wasn't impressed with this episode at all. I was hoping for so much more, but was left in the dust. While the CGI was great, the rest of the animation seemed so sketchy that it kinda hurt to watch it. The characters seemed to snap from one pose to another, doing relatively little actual *moving*. I really didn't like Team Rocket in this one, either. Too much unusual screaming and whatnot. It just seemed so random. Sudowoodo was as cute as ever, though, but a lot of Pokemon seemed to just appear, vanish, and reappear later. Mothim even used what I'm guessing to be Supersonic which wasn't even shown having an effect in the following frame. It's like the attack completely vanished. The Combee's Psybeam would've been awesome... if the attack hadn't just totally come from nowhere and Combee actually learned it. The same goes for Mothim's supposed Supersonic. Finally, the last thing that made this so unenjoyable was that the Combee were so selective in attacking. First they're a wall blocking intruders, but when that wall falls, they walk in, scott-free. They're not even being contested by the fact that they're invaders.

Ashy Boy
5th May 2007, 10:52 AM
Baleen Whale Ver. 4 was awesome.
What does that mean?

scissorX
5th May 2007, 11:20 AM
I really liked the CGI in this episode, but other than that I thought it was pretty boring to be honest.

Even though it showcased Combee and Vespiqueen, I've just had enough of Sinnoh fillers already.. Just because they never really show Ash's Sinnoh Pokémon in their glory. I want to see them train!

Missingno. Master
5th May 2007, 1:10 PM
OK! Episode 500! So, does Ash now have a Grotle, Staraptor, or Ambipom? Or does Dawn have Prinplup or Lopunny? Or does Brock have Toxicroak? Or does James have Mr. Mime or Cacturne? Or was it a capture?

Maestro Kinético
5th May 2007, 1:22 PM
Are you insane?
If I recall correctly, you said you were an art student or something... Now, let me ask you: how do you want to become a decent professional if you can't even recognize good animation? My... You're such a pain in the azz.

Before beeing an art student I'm a person, and a person knows that good and bad are totally subjetive concepts. So please, don't try to disqualify my opinion using those.

The animation in my opinion was very bad (and animation is one of the few things that I apreciate in the show nowadays), look at the scenes with the Mitsuhoneys flying, the background looks so unreal and gleaming, doesn't look natural. Also, the faces of the Mitsuhoney are identical and their shading looks bad (all of this in my opinion). A few examples:

http://pokemon-safari.com/sitio/imagenes_capitulos/diamond-pearl/032/54.jpg

IMO thats not good animation at all, looks like a flat drawing.

http://pokemon-safari.com/sitio/imagenes_capitulos/diamond-pearl/032/55.jpg

Look at their faces.

ETA: Forgot about the 500th episode, for beeing a 500 episode it wa spretty weak, nothing happened with the characters.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
5th May 2007, 1:51 PM
Maestro and Ashy Boy make a good Crash-The-Thread combo. I'm surprised they haven't joined forces to make one big pessimistic team yet.

I found Vespiquen to be quite eerie, really. Same with the Combees. And I even like Combee :( Well, at least that means the art director was setting the atmosphere properly.

Gravy
5th May 2007, 2:10 PM
Before beeing an art student I'm a person, and a person knows that good and bad are totally subjetive concepts. So please, don't try to disqualify my opinion using those.
Not in terms of animation it isn't. If the animation is bad, then it's bad, and if animation is good, then it's good.

Now, I haven't seen the episode myself, but considering you thought a Kinoshita episode had good animation, I don't think you really understand what you're talking about when you say 'good/bad animation', let alone good or bad artwork...

The animation in my opinion was very bad (and animation is one of the few things that I apreciate in the show nowadays), look at the scenes with the Mitsuhoneys flying, the background looks so unreal and gleaming, doesn't look natural. Also, the faces of the Mitsuhoney are identical and their shading looks bad (all of this in my opinion). A few examples:

http://pokemon-safari.com/sitio/imagenes_capitulos/diamond-pearl/032/54.jpg

IMO thats not good animation at all, looks like a flat drawing.

http://pokemon-safari.com/sitio/imagenes_capitulos/diamond-pearl/032/55.jpg

Look at their faces.
'Also, the faces of the Mitsuhoney are identical'
So what were you expecting? You really think they'd go through the trouble of giving every single individual face a different expression? Or were you just begging to see a few moustaches, shades and sideburns thrown in for good measure?

It's CG art, which has never been a strength of this show. You're just labling the entire episode as poorly animated because of what is essentially just a single character model. That's like saying the Manaphy movie had crappy 2D animation because the models used for the 3D characters were god awful, but that just isn't the case.

Also, background art =/= animation. It's background art. Unless it's a certain scene, there's no movement involved there.

Maestro Kinético
5th May 2007, 4:34 PM
Not in terms of animation it isn't. If the animation is bad, then it's bad, and if animation is good, then it's good.

I didn't know that you were God. Now seriously, good and bad are the most subjetive concepts of all (as stated by philosophy and ethics).

Now, I haven't seen the episode myself, but considering you thought a Kinoshita episode had good animation, I don't think you really understand what you're talking about when you say 'good/bad animation', let alone good or bad artwork...

Again the same thing, just because you think Kinoshita makes bad animation the whole world does not have to think like you.

'Also, the faces of the Mitsuhoney are identical'
So what were you expecting? You really think they'd go through the trouble of giving every single individual face a different expression? Or were you just begging to see a few moustaches, shades and sideburns thrown in for good measure?

No, I was specting separate Mitsuhoney or a formation of separate Mitsuhoney, not those strange groups that look anticlimatic because the Mitsuhoney inside the group can't fly and they are still in the air without falling.

It's CG art, which has never been a strength of this show. You're just labling the entire episode as poorly animated because of what is essentially just a single character model. That's like saying the Manaphy movie had crappy 2D animation because the models used for the 3D characters were god awful, but that just isn't the case.

That's why I don't like when they use it, and they don't have the need to do so. The animation was good with traditionally animated characters and attacks.

Also, background art =/= animation. It's background art. Unless it's a certain scene, there's no movement involved there.

I'm not talking about the movement, I'm talking about how unreal and gleamy it looks. I loved those forest scenes of the early days, so well drawn and natural even if they didn't have the resources they have nowadays.

S.Suikun
5th May 2007, 6:51 PM
OK! Episode 500! So, does Ash now have a Grotle, Staraptor, or Ambipom? Or does Dawn have Prinplup or Lopunny? Or does Brock have Toxicroak? Or does James have Mr. Mime or Cacturne? Or was it a capture?
Ultimate fanbase burn.

Again the same thing, just because you think Kinoshita makes bad animation the whole world does not have to think like you.
You telling me THIS is good animation?
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/6539/kinoshitbt1.png

No, I was specting separate Mitsuhoney or a formation of separate Mitsuhoney, not those strange groups that look anticlimatic because the Mitsuhoney inside the group can't fly and they are still in the air without falling.
Now you're grabbing at straws. How does a wall of Combee look "anticlimatic" because of a simple flaw in physics? Besides, I'm sure the Combee are made to be strong enough to carry others of the same species, so it isn't that unrealistic, anyways.

Korobooshi Kojiro
5th May 2007, 8:02 PM
ETA: Forgot about the 500th episode, for beeing a 500 episode it wa spretty weak, nothing happened with the characters.

Hey! A pun!

Coming from the guy whose whining that the animation in this episode WAS bad...

nd animation is one of the few things that I apreciate in the show nowadays

You whine about the color of the mountains and the bright colors all the time, and in an episode where they mix it up and give us some comparatively "dark" scenes you still whine.

Gravy
5th May 2007, 8:08 PM
I didn't know that you were God.
You need to get out more then.

Now seriously, good and bad are the most subjetive concepts of all (as stated by philosophy and ethics).
Don't give me that rubbish. This may shcok and amaze you, but it's hardly a 'subjective concept' when the artwork is almost always off-model and the animation is horrendously choppy and stiff. Perhaps if Kinoshita was up to Iwane quality, there'd be room for opinions, but as it stands, he isn't. Maybe that kind of thing can be considered good in your happy world (the wonderous place that apparantly can't be debated against, ever!), but in the real world, that is bad.

I don't think he's bad. I know he's bad. You'd have to be blind not to see it.

Uh, I thought you said your major complaint were the expressions? Now you're going on about them being seperate and in different formations? Make up your mind.
Also
a.) We saw several 'seperate' Combee throughout the episode
b.) Last time I checked, the process of all the Combee joining together like that could be called a ....(dare I say it)....formation! :O

That's why I don't like when they use it, and they don't have the need to do so. The animation was good with traditionally animated characters and attacks.
Agreed. But once again, that doesn't mean the rest of the episode was bad, which is what you seem to be insinuating.

I'm not talking about the movement
Animation is movement. The backgrounds don't dance around and fire Hyper Beams.

I'm talking about how unreal and gleamy it looks. I loved those forest scenes of the early days, so well drawn and natural even if they didn't have the resources they have nowadays.
For someone who liked the Kanto season so much, you certainly don't have any idea of how awful the background art was. I mean, just look at this for example: The trees are essentially just a bunch of round blobs, the mountains look flatter than a pancake under a steamroller and there really isn't any real detail there at all (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/awesomebackgroundart.jpg). It's not different from the city scenery (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/buildings.jpg). Or the interiors of the buildings (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/interior.jpg) (hey look! It's those brightly colored tiles you love so much!). Or the amazingly realistic looking rocks (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/rockssss.jpg)(!).

Then you look at this; The trees actually look like they have leaves. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/forest-1.jpg) The different types of trees have various color palletes. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/pine.jpg)The rock formations actually have some level of detail. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/rock.jpg)
FYI, those shots from older cartoons are taken from two of my most favourite episodes, both script and animation-wise. So before you go and say the bgs from the old days were superior, I suggest you take off those rose-tinted glasses and take a second look. Because they're nowhere near as good as you make them out to be.

But in any case; Is it really necessary to bring up your qualms with them in every single one of these threads? I doubt anyone out there is dying to hear you bring up how much you dislike the backgrounds every 7 days.

Juputoru
5th May 2007, 8:43 PM
Having seen the pics, what I have to say is...
-Need. Vespiquen. Now. Curse the dark lords that made Combee predominantly male!
-Why did Cheryl need to go through all that trouble just to get some honey? Doesn't the Pokemon World have grocery stores?
-Croagunk dislikes honey. That fits, really.
-Hive-mind Pokemon always make for...different...experiences. See:Unown.
-*insert futile argument against MK here*

Torkoal Stu
5th May 2007, 10:00 PM
Also you can hardly judge the animation by STILL PICTURES. I've learnt that to fully judge animation you have to watch the episode.

So go watch before you completely judge it and after watching one of the Konshitia or whatever episodes (the fossil one) I can say honestly, he's crap, not saying that I can do any better BUT the way Rorak and Rampardos (forgot english name already D:!) was drawn was terrible.

So go watch, then come back, then complain.

Though honestly, Combee looks good drawn like that and I'm an avid Combee fan sooooo

-Starly-
6th May 2007, 12:09 AM
What does that mean?
You mean you don't know what Baleen Whale Jessie is? (http://imageboard.pocketmonsters.net/Musashi/src/117453101658.jpg)

Anyways, this episode wins because of one sole thing:

http://imageboard.pocketmonsters.net/Ecchi/src/117830044168.png

CyberCubed
6th May 2007, 12:11 AM
Gravy, there's no point arguing with him, just forget it. I know it may bother you more than other people because of your artistic skill, but we know he says the same thing every week about every single episode so there's no point.

You're talking to deaf ears, don't bother with him.

Weav-vile
6th May 2007, 12:34 AM
Off topic: Well, I'm glad I don't need to explain more than Gravy did, MK. You whine about every single new episode of this series! You'd stop coming here to say the same thing every week and disagree with everyone. I mean, what's your point? Gee, I wonder if you need to catch everyone's attention to yourself. You should get help, I guess you must have some serious issues...

[Oh, sorry if I hurt your feelings. I just can't stand you anymore, and, from now on, banned or not, I'll never read what you post anymore. LITTLE F*G =D]

On topic: I don't know how in hell people still think this was episode 500. Next week's will be, and there will be a new 'capture'.
Maybe it's Serebii's fault, huh? Very, very mean guy this Serebii... :/
Well, but I gotta agree with him when he says this fanbase is made of donkeyness (yeah! =D) [what's weird when you remind yourself that he's working for all those jerks], because if THIS much of people can't understand most of an episode's purpose/meaning/happenings, then I must say YES, they're indeed azzholes. =D

Now, for the last friggin' time:

1) Those Combee didn't use Psybeam! It was Vespiquen's Attack Order! ¬¬

2) How in Mr. Peter Parker's house Vespiquen did nothing? She even used Power Gem, which was awesome! Plus, all her scenes with Cheryl were simply amazing. My, I swear, there's something more about this pokémon. :P

3) Oh noez, I can get banned 'cause I enraged lord Serebii n' I was gross... D:
Too bad for me, huh? :) [Like I really care]

Bye :)

- Nozomi

Korobooshi Kojiro
6th May 2007, 12:56 AM
By American numbered, Episode 500 is the Buizel capture episode...

Ohohohoho.

Starly: Best. Animation. Error. Ever.

-Starly-
6th May 2007, 12:56 AM
I have come to a conclusion that MK is like the Zubats you encounter in every game.

Anyways, I really liked this episode, even though it was Cheryl's last episode and the Wormadams and Chansey did ABSOLUTELY nothing yet again. Vespiquen did more than the ignorant people say. She used Power Gem, Attack Order, and Defend Order(when the Combees made a wall). No doubt that Croagunk wouldn't like the Sweet Honey, probably since it's a Poison type. I also loved the end, where Cheryl ditched the gang to chase a Beedrill. Kinda funny how Brock was easily rejected.

Weav-vile
6th May 2007, 1:08 AM
Let it be then, KK. =P
A character will be getting a new pokémon, and... NOZOMI WILL BE THERE *_* <3

But, hey, by japanese numbered, episode 500 is next week's according to my sources. I just know serebii's wrong. :)

EDIT:

I have come to a conclusion that MK is like the Zubats you encounter in every game.

LAWL! XD

Maestro Kinético
6th May 2007, 1:19 AM
You need to get out more then.

Please don't be rude. I'm not being rude to you.

Don't give me that rubbish. This may shcok and amaze you, but it's hardly a 'subjective concept' when the artwork is almost always off-model and the animation is horrendously choppy and stiff. Perhaps if Kinoshita was up to Iwane quality, there'd be room for opinions, but as it stands, he isn't. Maybe that kind of thing can be considered good in your happy world (the wonderous place that apparantly can't be debated against, ever!), but in the real world, that is bad.

Again, you are the one who says what's the real world, what's good and what's bad. Pretty dictatorial stuff which impresses me but I will continue having an opinion, thank you.

I don't think he's bad. I know he's bad. You'd have to be blind not to see it.

And who are you to say that? Calling people that don't think like you blind is unfair. And of course I'll continue thinking the same.

Uh, I thought you said your major complaint were the expressions? Now you're going on about them being seperate and in different formations? Make up your mind.

No, I complain because instead of making those impossible groups they should have drawn them separately to avoid the expressions thing, which would have looked more natural.

Also
a.) We saw several 'seperate' Combee throughout the episode

I didn't say that there weren't separate Mitsuhoney, I was talking about that scene.

b.) Last time I checked, the process of all the Combee joining together like that could be called a ....(dare I say it)....formation! :O

So? Did you read my post? I wanted separate formations, they would have looked more natural IMO.

Agreed. But once again, that doesn't mean the rest of the episode was bad, which is what you seem to be insinuating.

I think this episode was bad because nothing really happened, the plot was weak and predictable.

Animation is movement. The backgrounds don't dance around and fire Hyper Beams.

No, but they also move (battle backgrounds, which have gotten very strange with CG)

For someone who liked the Kanto season so much, you certainly don't have any idea of how awful the background art was. I mean, just look at this for example: The trees are essentially just a bunch of round blobs, the mountains look flatter than a pancake under a steamroller and there really isn't any real detail there at all (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/awesomebackgroundart.jpg). It's not different from the city scenery (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/buildings.jpg). Or the interiors of the buildings (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/interior.jpg) (hey look! It's those brightly colored tiles you love so much!). Or the amazingly realistic looking rocks (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/rockssss.jpg)(!).

A very good strategy, posting bad quality images with smart blur in them to show me that the animation didn't have details. And those rocks do look real IMO.

Then you look at this; The trees actually look like they have leaves. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/forest-1.jpg) The different types of trees have various color palletes. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/pine.jpg)The rock formations actually have some level of detail. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/rock.jpg)
FYI, those shots from older cartoons are taken from two of my most favourite episodes, both script and animation-wise. So before you go and say the bgs from the old days were superior, I suggest you take off those rose-tinted glasses and take a second look. Because they're nowhere near as good as you make them out to be.

They are much better in my opinion, why don't you let me have an opinion?

You telling me THIS is good animation?

You got confused, I did not say that Kinoshita makes good animation. Just because I said that I liked the animation of an epp Kinoshita drew (and I don't even remember what episode it was) Gravy uses that as an argument to tell me that I'm blind.

Now you're grabbing at straws. How does a wall of Combee look "anticlimatic" because of a simple flaw in physics? Besides, I'm sure the Combee are made to be strong enough to carry others of the same species, so it isn't that unrealistic, anyways.

In my opinion they look anticlimatic, if they were small groups I wouldn't have problems, but there are too many Mitsuhoneys that are not flying.

You whine about the color of the mountains and the bright colors all the time, and in an episode where they mix it up and give us some comparatively "dark" scenes you still whine.

Did you read my post? And you are right, they have showed us different places in this epp. But the animation was still bad for me (in the backgrounds and the Mitsuhoney), so I can complain.

So go watch before you completely judge it and after watching one of the Konshitia or whatever episodes (the fossil one) I can say honestly, he's crap, not saying that I can do any better BUT the way Rorak and Rampardos (forgot english name already D:!) was drawn was terrible.

I hated the animation in that episode and I posted it, I don't think Kinoshita is a good animator. But there was an episode of him that i liked. That's all.

I'm glad I don't need to explain more than Gravy did, MK. You whine about every single new episode of this series! You'd stop coming here to say the same thing every week and disagree with everyone. I mean, what's your point? Gee, I wonder if you need to catch everyone's attention to yourself. You should get help, I guess you must have some serious issues...

I have serious issues because I think different things? I thought that the time when people were considered sick because of their way of thinking had passed. I don't complain about every episode, I complain about what I don't like and I have the right to do it. There was only one episode of this season that I liked and I said it too, I don't have a problem with saying possitive things. I'll post my opinions about future episodes wether they are good or bad.

[Oh, sorry if I hurt your feelings. I just can't stand you anymore, and, from now on, banned or not, I'll never read what you post anymore. LITTLE F*G =D]

I have not been disrespectful to you so I don't know why you said that. I'm verry offended. Report.

S.Suikun
6th May 2007, 1:34 AM
On topic: I don't know how in hell people still think this was episode 500. Next week's will be, and there will be a new 'capture'.
Maybe it's Serebii's fault, huh? Very, very mean guy this Serebii... :/
But if you're using the correct numbering system, it's actually DP032.

1) Those Combee didn't use Psybeam! It was Vespiquen's Attack Order! ¬¬
I feel dumb - What the heck is Attack Order? Seriously, I've never heard of it before this thread.

Anyways, I really liked this episode, even though it was Cheryl's last episode and the Wormadams and Chansey did ABSOLUTELY nothing yet again.
Wormadam seriously needs its own episode in the future in order to redeem itself. It's 2-second appearance in DP030 hardly even qualified as a debut.

Korobooshi Kojiro
6th May 2007, 1:34 AM
Again, you are the one who says what's the real world, what's good and what's bad. Pretty dictatorial stuff which impresses me but I will continue having an opinion, thank you

WHOA WHOA WHOA!

You're the one who went on an on about how sucky the new DP Pokemon were, and how they were Digimon, and how they were bad, and how Spiritomb wasn't a Pokemon and all that crap, and now you're lecturing people on subjectiveness of art?

Maestro....people are dying in Guantamo Bay...and Kinoshita sucks. I have the right to complain about it. :x

Weav-vile
6th May 2007, 3:16 AM
But if you're using the correct numbering system, it's actually DP032.

Man, I swear my sources don't agree with you. =P

I feel dumb - What the heck is Attack Order? Seriously, I've never heard of it before this thread.

See, this fanbase is contagious. =)
Attack Order is a move Vespiquen learn. Her pokédex entry also refers to this move, saying that when Vespiquen must attack, she send her EMPLOYEES to do all the job, standing where she is. That's all she did in DP 32 ^^'
Also, thanks to Starly I remembered she also used Deffense Order! =D

S.Suikun
6th May 2007, 4:23 AM
See, this fanbase is contagious. =)
Yeah, it's an unhealthy crowd to hang around.

Attack Order is a move Vespiquen learn. Her pokédex entry also refers to this move, saying that when Vespiquen must attack, she send her EMPLOYEES to do all the job, standing where she is. That's all she did in DP 32 ^^'
So I see. Vespiquen = Bill Lumbergh. Combee = Everyone else. Are the Combee part of a union, by any chance?

Weav-vile
6th May 2007, 5:27 AM
Yeah, it's an unhealthy crowd to hang around.

lawl >D

So I see. Vespiquen = Bill Lumbergh. Combee = Everyone else. Are the Combee part of a union, by any chance?

Maybe the creators of Vespiquen inspired her by the character... They must really like "Office Space"! Too bad Combee's design is not based on Peter Gibbons' face. :(

Missingno. Master
6th May 2007, 12:24 PM
Wait- NEXT week's episode is ep. 500? Well, that would explain any lack of evolutions or captures. And it's pretty much confirmed that Brock gets his Happiny egg next week... Personally I had hoped that the 500th episode capture would go to Jessie, as her team's been the same since Cascoon evolved.

And honestly- most, if not ALL of the posts I've seen in this thread have been fighting posts. About something as stupid as the animation. Some people have different standards about what they consider good or bad, and those who don't agree, deal with it! But that's just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

S.Suikun
6th May 2007, 8:33 PM
Wait- NEXT week's episode is ep. 500? Well, that would explain any lack of evolutions or captures. And it's pretty much confirmed that Brock gets his Happiny egg next week... Personally I had hoped that the 500th episode capture would go to Jessie, as her team's been the same since Cascoon evolved.
For the last freraking time, there is NO pattern that exists with every 100 episodes! The 100th episode was "A Way Off Day Off", for crying out loud, the fillerest of all fillers! And episodes 200, 300, and 400 were mere coincidence, and that's only if you go by Serebii's screwy numbering system! (Which includes such trivial things as the clip show.) The REAL numbering system that the show producers go by reset at AG, and reset again at DP.

uber gon
6th May 2007, 11:42 PM
Did Vespiques ever use Power Gem? I saw a pic of her gathering energy, so I'm just guessing.

EternalSmasherSceptile
6th May 2007, 11:47 PM
Nice, now the anime's halfway to 1,000 episodes :D
I loved the way the castle looked. it's soo awesome. I also liked Vesipquen. she looks scarier than in the D/P art.

Geodude
7th May 2007, 12:52 PM
Did Vespiques ever use Power Gem? I saw a pic of her gathering energy, so I'm just guessing.

Yes, it was mentioned already.

uber gon
9th May 2007, 5:00 AM
Yes, it was mentioned already.

How does the animé portray the attack?

R_N
9th May 2007, 5:27 AM
I saw the pics, and it seems like a really great episode.
I likes me some Vespiquen! And they showcased Attack & Defense Commands very nicely, from whta I've seen in the pics. How did Power Gem look? Was it cool? Another Hyper beam? A giant bidoof of doom?

Yamato-san
9th May 2007, 10:42 AM
Momi-tan to momimomi shitain da yo na! ^^

So Momi leaves with this episode, likely never to be seen again... which is a shame. T_T But as Orion-sama has said many a time before, this show has got, like, no fanservice anymore, so it's not like we could've gotten any interesting scenes should she have stayed (though it would've been nice if her set of Minomadam could've at least done something worth a damn -_-).

And... wow... I am so friggin' disappointed by the portrayal of Power Gem. I was thinking that the attack would somehow involve... oh, I don't know, maybe THE FRIGGIN' GARNET ON HER FOREHEAD?!?! Honestly, how could the producers miss that one? I mean, some transparent, dark red-colored ray shooting out of that thing would've looked pretty cool in my mind, and it would've fit the namesake... instead, we get some Kamehameha knock-off. -_-

Seviper swatting away the Combee was pretty sweet. There's a reason one of my forum names is named after him.

heh, yeah. If you watch closely, you'll notice Habunake in the background just jumping up and down, flipping while trying to hit with Poison Tail. I thought that was a nice touch (though I wonder why Sabonea seemed to be jumping as well... it has a friggin' projectile attack).

And yes, Oak getting beat up by Pokemon seems to be back after a LONG absense!

I think it actually started with the previous episode... in any case, yay! ^^

uber gon
15th May 2007, 9:39 AM
Momi-tan to momimomi shitain da yo na! ^^

So Momi leaves with this episode, likely never to be seen again... which is a shame. T_T But as Orion-sama has said many a time before, this show has got, like, no fanservice anymore, so it's not like we could've gotten any interesting scenes should she have stayed (though it would've been nice if her set of Minomadam could've at least done something worth a damn -_-).

And... wow... I am so friggin' disappointed by the portrayal of Power Gem. I was thinking that the attack would somehow involve... oh, I don't know, maybe THE FRIGGIN' GARNET ON HER FOREHEAD?!?! Honestly, how could the producers miss that one? I mean, some transparent, dark red-colored ray shooting out of that thing would've looked pretty cool in my mind, and it would've fit the namesake... instead, we get some Kamehameha knock-off. -_-

heh, yeah. If you watch closely, you'll notice Habunake in the background just jumping up and down, flipping while trying to hit with Poison Tail. I thought that was a nice touch (though I wonder why Sabonea seemed to be jumping as well... it has a friggin' projectile attack).

I think it actually started with the previous episode... in any case, yay! ^^

In regards to Power Gem, maybe the writers might think using the gem would do something bad to the ratings?

Ashy Boy
19th May 2007, 9:36 AM
Maestro and Ashy Boy make a good Crash-The-Thread combo. I'm surprised they haven't joined forces to make one big pessimistic team yet.

(sarcastically) I'll take that as a compliment.

jolteonjak
29th June 2007, 2:59 PM
This was a pretty cool episode. The animation reminded me a bit of the past (and roughly like the Digimon Movies). Everything wasn't so polished and pretty.

I hope Vespiquen keeps Beequeen's voice (since all it did was say "queen"). The voice made it sound much more evil than it was.

npdargy312
18th July 2007, 10:09 AM
havenm't seen it but it looks decent

WaterDragon trainer
13th October 2007, 4:02 PM
This episode was good. It was very funny when TR almost walked off a cliff, but still fell off anyway. It was cool to see a Vespiqueen. It was cool to see a Power Gem (used by Vespiqueen), though it would’ve been cooler if she used something unique like Attack Order. It was hilarious when Cheryl abandoned Brock to follow a Beedrill.

Pika Hikari KT
13th October 2007, 4:16 PM
-Vespiquen keeps her original voice, and I got the pronunciation right!^_^

-Add Combee to the list of cutest Pokémon voices EVER. Kawaii~<3

-That Power Gem is gonna spark so many Spirit Bomb comparisons...BTW, we never did find out what those Combee were using as an attack. Can we safely assume it was Vespiquen using Attack Order?

-LOL at Croagunk's reaction to the Honey. That was awesome.XD

CabbyFish
13th October 2007, 5:53 PM
I'm surprised at the fact that all the Combee used psybeam. They can't learn that move in the games at all. Well, now I'm finding Mothim can't learn supersonic either. What gives?

This episode was nice. We finally get to see what the enchanted honey looks like, but it just seems to look like regular honey.

I'm also surprised Croagunk disliked the honey dispite everybody else enjoying it. That was cute.

Who did Combee? I know Vespiquen kept its original voice, but the way the actress did Combee makes it a tough one.

Korobooshi Kojiro
13th October 2007, 5:54 PM
I'm pretty sure Attack Order was what they were doing.

uber gon
14th October 2007, 12:29 AM
You know, POWER GEM actually looks pretty nice.

Venusaur Master
14th October 2007, 7:52 PM
for the 500th japan order episode it was very good, one of the best dp episodes so far

Corzola
15th October 2007, 6:27 PM
First: Combee looked like thos computer heads in the Deoxys movie.

I liked the first part of the ep, when they still searched for the honey but it went boring after that IMO.

I liked bits of the ep but not the ep overall. 5,5/10. I thought it wa one of the less good D/P eps.

uber gon
15th October 2007, 7:53 PM
Pachirisu looked like it was doing a rather suggestive pose.:D

HoennMaster
20th October 2007, 8:38 AM
Was it just me, or were there like no female Combee?

Venusaur Master
20th October 2007, 1:11 PM
there were some female combee if u look hard enough

Rebeccag
2nd November 2007, 12:57 AM
quite good episode although there have been better. i laughed when crogagunk didnt like the taste of the honey it was sad to see cheryl go i got quite fond of her

wobbanut
26th August 2008, 3:22 AM
Happy 500, my favorite show! (Even though it's 30 episodes later.)

Anyway, at least Cheryl doesn't show up again after this episode. God, I hated her voice, it grated on my last nerve. The plot for this episode is pretty good, and I have to say I'd hate to see a huge wall of combees heading my way, but overall this episode just makes me glad that Cheryl's not a recurring character.

Tadashi
8th November 2008, 9:22 AM
This. darn. episode. is. always. on. TV! I'm so tired of it D: Good lord...

Only redeeming quality is Cheryl's line at the very end when Brock approaches her, "Oh, look, a Beedrill! My grandfather always said, if you see a Beedrill, you should travel alone. See you!"

The rest was kinda... ehh. Vespiquen had, like, 0 personality, and the Combee wall actually scared the living daylights out of me x_x;

raichu2626
2nd December 2008, 9:08 PM
it was kind of boring

Igottapoo
21st January 2009, 11:21 AM
Eh I absolutely hated this episode. Nothing but Combee >_< Combee is like the worst idea for a Pokemon ever. They should have used some killer Beedrill instead.

Rommath
31st January 2009, 6:50 PM
Pretty average. I just didn't find it very entertaining, with all the Combee. Cheryl was rather bland, her obsession with the "enchanted honey" wasn't really interesting I thought.

(s.i.e)
10th March 2009, 3:25 PM
it was a decent episode with all the combees but i've seen better, bug pokemon just arn't my thing i guess.

Littlemyuu
13th June 2009, 12:58 AM
I only liked the episode because there where Combee's in it

S.Suikun
14th June 2009, 8:18 PM
Honestly, I get some pretty good laughs from re-reading these threads years later. The stuff with Maestro is possibly even more pathetic in retrospect, and these century-mark episodes are always a riot because people are somehow convinced they signify evolution-related importance in spite of Serebii and Ash-kid being the only two people who actually use this particular numbering system.

Alas, this episode is another dagger in said theory that was never true in the first place. We wrap up the Momi arc here, and I suppose it's decent, although I would like to have seen more Beequeen (...and if you had gripes with English name unoriginality...). I still think Mitsuhoney could not have been feasibly created without the assistance of some mind-numbing substance, but we see an interesting use of it here, especially combining as an actual CG hive (complete with 10 months worth of animation budget).

Speaking of animation, this is Natsume's debut as the takeover for Makoto Shinjo, and it's funny to see the gripes about his debut here, showing how little of a grasp many fans actually have on animation. Beequeen, while under-exposed, at least got a nice attack/ability/whatever showcase (really, I still don't know what this "Attack Order" is supposed to be). I suppose my main problem with this episode was that I never really cared about Momi's honey quest in the first place. It just seemed so insignificant and failed to make Momi any deeper than her admittedly attractive outer self. And now I never care to see her again.

B-

milenadrg
20th June 2009, 8:43 PM
Episode was really good and interesting. I liked it.
But, it was weird when Ash and Co. were on Combee's territory(before TR attacked them). Seeing Vespiquen was cool, too...

Rainbowdashtheawesome
23rd July 2009, 6:57 PM
I love Combee! This was one of my favorite fillers from the early DP arc. The Power Gem move that Vespiquen used was extremely powerful, too. It wiped out TR in one shot.

Madame Pika
6th August 2009, 1:18 PM
This is a good episode ruined by the arc that it's in. Very pretty and some good comedy but by this point I (and seemingly alot of over people) were sick of Cheryl by this point.

cyberduelistzane
17th December 2009, 6:54 AM
Honestly, I get some pretty good laughs from re-reading these threads years later. The stuff with Maestro is possibly even more pathetic in retrospect, and these century-mark episodes are always a riot because people are somehow convinced they signify evolution-related importance in spite of Serebii and Ash-kid being the only two people who actually use this particular numbering system.

Alas, this episode is another dagger in said theory that was never true in the first place. We wrap up the Momi arc here, and I suppose it's decent, although I would like to have seen more Beequeen (...and if you had gripes with English name unoriginality...). I still think Mitsuhoney could not have been feasibly created without the assistance of some mind-numbing substance, but we see an interesting use of it here, especially combining as an actual CG hive (complete with 10 months worth of animation budget).

Speaking of animation, this is Natsume's debut as the takeover for Makoto Shinjo, and it's funny to see the gripes about his debut here, showing how little of a grasp many fans actually have on animation. Beequeen, while under-exposed, at least got a nice attack/ability/whatever showcase (really, I still don't know what this "Attack Order" is supposed to be). I suppose my main problem with this episode was that I never really cared about Momi's honey quest in the first place. It just seemed so insignificant and failed to make Momi any deeper than her admittedly attractive outer self. And now I never care to see her again.

B-
well when those combee were using the psybeam style attack
that was attack order

Ash-kid
17th December 2009, 3:27 PM
Good episode, i loved those Combee!

And the animation was great.

8/10

Lorde
1st January 2010, 7:01 AM
Quirky title but the episode wasn't so fun.

I didn't like how we got Vespiquen so early on in Sinnoh, and she didn't do much in this episode. I didn't like the whole "enchanted Honey" plot every much either. Wish they'd call it "Honey" like in the games.

If it hadn't been for Vespiquen I would have called it Filler. 2/10

Ash-kid
1st January 2010, 5:39 PM
I didn't like how we got Vespiquen so early on in Sinnoh, and she didn't do much in this episode. I didn't like the whole "enchanted Honey" plot every much either

Agree. i think they should give her more screentime, especially because this episode was focused on her. instead, we saw more Combee, but not Vespiquen. and i'd like to see more moves from Vespiquen.

Lorde
1st January 2010, 11:46 PM
Agree. i think they should give her more screentime, especially because this episode was focused on her. instead, we saw more Combee, but not Vespiquen. and i'd like to see more moves from Vespiquen.

Maybe Aaron of the Elite Four will appear again with one later.

My main issue is that Sinnoh showed a LOT of Pokemon in the beginning like Kricketot, Vespiquen, Mothim, etc, and they only appeared for a few minutes.

Now Sinnoh is virtually out of new Pokemon.

KGB13
18th January 2010, 6:00 PM
This episode was OK, not much happened. The CG Combee were kinda cool and I'm glad Cheryl finally got the honey she was looking for. Alright episode.

JohnLee
19th January 2010, 9:02 PM

My main issue is that Sinnoh showed a LOT of Pokemon in the beginning like Kricketot, Vespiquen, Mothim, etc, and they only appeared for a few minutes.

Calm down. Aaron showed up again with his Vespiqueen and it got a lot of screentime. As for krickertot, and mothim we've seen them a couple of more times and I'm sure we'll see some with Nando at the GF.

DaAuraWolf
2nd February 2010, 2:24 PM
It was nice to see this Gens Beedrill.Vespiquenn had a nice part in this episode as the leader of the Amber Castle.It`s nice to see a pokemon and it`s evovle forme in the same episode.

9/10

Katipunero
2nd February 2010, 2:27 PM
sorta boring but combee make up for it.
8/10

Ash-kid
2nd February 2010, 2:27 PM

Well yeah I totaly agree, Vespiquen has to appear more than one minute, at least we have seen it eventualy. from all the Bug pokemon I think that Mothim did a great job, it appeared a lot.

Willow's Tara
1st June 2010, 4:37 AM
Mothim appeared alot more then Wormadam did in this episode.

It was an average okay episode, didn't see it being that bad although i would have loved to see more of Vespiquen. It was good they didn't have it lasting to four or so episodes. That Combee wall didn't even look like one for a few moments, and then they started falling like a old wall.

saar
8th July 2010, 1:19 PM
Combee-nation. Really good title they have made for this episode.
The mini-arc with Cheryl was good. I liked every episode of it. :)

Lance The Champ
2nd December 2010, 2:11 PM
The combee wall was really surprising it looked an ordinary wall from a distance

G50
27th April 2011, 9:03 AM
This episode was ok... It was cool to see Combee and Vespiquen for the 1st time. It was interesting how the Combee's bodies actually make up the hive. Interesting how Vespiquen's Attack Order and Defense Order worked. It was cool to see Vespiquen's Power Gem Attack. I'm glad Vespiquen was grateful for Cheryl's help and decided to give her a sample of the special honey.

30/100

TheSirPeras
31st December 2012, 5:46 PM
Merp, I didn't enjoy this little 3 episode arc much... Though it was cool to see Vespiquen be kind of glorified, being the queen and all

PokemontrainerY
28th July 2013, 12:15 PM
This episode was nice, It's good to see Combee and Vespiquen in the anime. The dub title " An Angry Combee-nation" was creative. The animation was nice too.
The whole 'Searching for Honey' plot was intersting. It's awsome when the Combees get together to form the wall of Combee, it was huge.
It's sad too see Cheryl go at the end, I really liked her character in DP.