PDA

View Full Version : Need more Pokemon!

TotheSky
14th May 2007, 5:47 AM
I've been reading around here and there from smogon etc... and alot of these changes are intended for the competitive battles, and the movesets don't really seem to be suited for in-game.

I decided on 3 of my pokemon, but I need some ideas for the other 3, and a question or two.

I'm thinking of sticking with:

Swampert
Brave?Impish?relaxed? I can't really decide on that.

surf
ice beam
earthquake
?

Metagross (mix sweeper, but which nature?)
Meteor Mash
Explosion?
Psychic
Thunderpunch

Salamence (CB sweeper, Adamant?jolly?)
Earthquake
Rockslide
Brick Break
Arial Ace/Dragon Claw?

Don't think I'll be seeing much skarmorys if at all in-game where its a critical point

I'm not too crazy about training linoones so I can pickup EQ, and any IV and breeding is out of the question since I don't have the time for all that.

These three are planned to be my BF team as well as in game.

I'm also looking for pokemon to fill my remaining three slots that I can find as the game progresses, since I'm not too keen on doing everything end game. I want to go with the flow of the game and be slightly competitive at the BF while training as the story goes.

Scepgatr
14th May 2007, 6:51 AM
Swampert@Leftovers
Relaxed

surf
ice beam
earthquake
Rest

Metagross@Lum Berry
Adamant

Meteor Mash
Explosion
Agility
Earthquake

Salamence@Choice Band
Adamant

Earthquake
Rock Slide
Fire Blast
Aerial Ace

Ludicolo@Leftovers
Calm

Leech Seed
Toxic
Protect
Surf/Dive

If this is for the Battle Frontier, then physical walls such as Skarmory do come often especially in the later rounds, thus making Fire Blast useful. Metagross and Salamence work effectively together, except when against a bulky water. To counter bulky waters, use the Ludicolo (over Swampert) suggested above for the Battle Frontier.

In Emerald there is a cloning glitch (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=134181) with which you may multiply your Earthquake TMs.

Mixedgross isn't needed in-game. IIRC, its specifically made to counter specific Pokémons. Those Pokémons may appear in the BF, however not as common as in the competitive zone. In-game teams, don't work competitively, while competitive teams don't work in-game, thus its best to make two different teams. You can alway clone your Metagross and make one Mixedgross, while the other Agiligross. Please post your competitive team alone in here (http://www.serebiiforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119) for best advice.

TotheSky
14th May 2007, 7:18 AM
thanks for the detailed input. I'm also looking for suggestions and opinions on swellow.

I've had this moveset, but then people say he can't last a round.

Jolly

AA
Facade
Double Edge
Quick Attack

Also, Weezing has also been on my mind as a pokemone I can get early in the game and train it as it progresses. The movesets I've looked up are also for competitive, so I'm not too sure what kind of moveset I should give.

Scepgatr
14th May 2007, 7:35 AM
Swellow
Adamant

AA
Facade
Steel Wing
Quick Attack

Swellow is a good Pokémon. Its already quite fast, hence best to go with an Adamant Nature. Its also best with Choice Band held.

Weezing @ Leftovers
Impish/Relaxed Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Haze
- Will-o-Wisp
- Pain Split

Weezing is mainly a physical wall. Pain Split is a great move to heal and at the same time give damage, however obtained only if you can breed with a Misdreavous. Will-O-Wisp is a great option since it halves foes's physical attacking power, (thus makeing Weezing a better physical wall) but its only obtained by breeding with Duskull/Shuppet. If you can't/don't want to breed, then you could have Rest/Shadow Ball instead.

For storyline play, simply your Swampert (or another straight forward sweeper) alone can be enough since foes aren't so strong that you need to use a wall/staller, etc.

TotheSky
15th May 2007, 5:24 AM
any suggestions for the remaining 2 slots?

I've got:

swampert
salamence
metagross
weezing

Scepgatr
15th May 2007, 12:02 PM
What happened to Swellow and Ludicolo?

TotheSky
17th May 2007, 2:32 AM
im going with ludicolo, but I'm still looking for one more pokemon, perferabbly one type that I don't already have.

TotheSky
17th May 2007, 2:33 AM
im going with ludicolo, but I'm still looking for one more pokemon, perferabbly one type that I don't already have.

Scepgatr
17th May 2007, 7:30 AM
Regice
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Sleep Talk/Thunder Wave
- Rest

Regice is an excellent Special Wall that you could perhaps use. It can also Bolt-Beam effectively.
You may consider Heracross, since you don't have a Fighter, however that may be too many physical sweepers.
You seem to have already gotten the best types. Not all are worth using.

freedom-123
19th May 2007, 1:33 PM
since it is a full party, isnt it reasonable to have 2 physical and 2 special sweepers then a physical wall and a special wall?

i would suggest, starmie, ludicolo, salamence, heracross, weezing and regice, but i would take scepgatr's advice more srsly as he is very professional at this

TotheSky
24th May 2007, 11:32 AM
yeah, I breezed thru the E4 with my swampert and I'm getting rdy for BF.

What other natures can salamence work with besides Adamant? I'm still looking for a CBer, but I've been having a rough time getting adamant. I've got a couple Jolly but thats about it.

Will brave work for gross?

I'm thinking of doing Swampert, Salamence and Metagross.

This run through I managed to snag a Lax Latios (+def - sdef), should I use that over salamence? I've been stuck deciding which would be better for the BF.

crudent
24th May 2007, 11:55 AM
You'd want Adamant all the time, but Jolly works to a certain extent.

Brave can work for Gross.

Current team is fine, you don't need Latios. But it can function as a Calm Minder.

TotheSky
24th May 2007, 12:05 PM
a brave gross won't be outspeed by alot of things in BF will it? What might be a good EV spread for a brave gross?

This is what the MS I've got in mind:
Brave @ Leftovers

Meteor Mash
Earthquake
T-Punch
Agility/Rock Slide/Psychic/explosion?

Gonna need a little help here.

Scepgatr
24th May 2007, 4:05 PM
Getting Adamant Salamence/Metagross is easy in Emerald. You can go to Dessert Underpass and catch wild Dittos. One of them is bound to be Adamant Natured. Equip an Everstone to the Ditto, then breed it with Salamence/Metagross to increase chances of hatching an Adamant Bagon/Beldum.

cfc-4-eva
24th May 2007, 4:24 PM
u could use Starmie he helps me alot in the bf
Starmie @ Leftovers
Modest
Recover
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Psychic

Edit: Rank up :D

Reno
24th May 2007, 5:05 PM
u could use Starmie he helps me alot in the bf
Starmie @ Leftovers
Modest
Calm mind
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Psychic

Edit: Rank up :D

lol at the noob. calm mind=starmie cant learn. so if you use this starmie, you obviously cheated.

TotheSky
25th May 2007, 3:24 AM
what ms and ev set can I get out of a brave gross?

TotheSky
25th May 2007, 3:25 AM
what ms and ev set can I get out of a brave gross?

crudent
25th May 2007, 8:45 AM
EVs: 252 Attack / split between Special Attack and/or HP, with more in Special Attack.
- Thunderpunch
- Earthquake/Explosion
- Meteor Mash
- Psychic

TotheSky
11th June 2007, 12:41 AM
I've gotten 4 silver symbols and I've had some trouble with bulky waters mainly and calm minders.

Would agiligross work at BF? He seems limited with EQ and MS, and would shell bell be better than lum? I've found mixpert and my bravegross a little too slow for comfort at the BF.

gradevoirs_leader
11th June 2007, 8:03 AM
milotic

bold
surf
toxic
ice beam
recover

TotheSky
12th June 2007, 10:57 AM
what would be the best 3rd pokemon to complement salamence and metagross?

Im kinda deciding between keeping the swampert, milotic, ludicolo or possibly regice. Need some counter for bulky water and hold there own to things sala and gross cant really touch or last against.

crudent
12th June 2007, 11:30 AM
Swampert. Mence counters Gross's weaks to Ground and Fire, Gross counters Mence's weaks to Rock and Ice. Both counter Swampert's 4x Grass weak.