PDA

View Full Version : The Grass Menagerie! (505)

Serebii
8th June 2007, 11:14 AM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/505.jpgEterna Gym! VS Gardenia!

It is time for Ash's second gym battle. In Eterna City, agsint Gardenia, whom he previously battled in the Forest, Ash faces one of his toughest battles. In a three on three battle, Staravia, Turtwig & Aipom face strong competition against Cherubi, Turtwig & Roserade. Can Ash beat Gardenia this time or will he end up losing to her again?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/shinou/505.shtml)

Discuss

Seijiro Mafuné
8th June 2007, 11:46 AM
Does anyone think Leech Seed gets overpowered in the animé, to be able to eat off what'd account for half of the Pokémon's health, just like that?

At least it wasn't as bad a victory than expected.

Gravy
8th June 2007, 12:07 PM
-Muku.BIRD was awesome, despite the fact it didn't take down Roserade. Cherubi didn’t even lay a finger on ’im, and he gave Turtwig a run for it’s money this time, even if he suffered the agony of a leech seed-tackle defeat.

-Cherubi fires off Magical Leaf, and the almighty one shoots into a quick ascent, going so far up that the leaves eventually give way and plummet back down to earth. Muku.BIRD then dives down at maximum fastness, and in the process flies in front of the sun, forcing Cherubi to look away due to the blinding light. Then Muku.BIRD (get this) DIVES SMACK DAB ON TOP OF CHERUBI. A token explosion ensues, of course, sending Cherubi flying. Then Muku.GOD does what any deity would do at time like this; fly out of the debris caused by impact and Quick Attack it‘s tasty opponent, sending it flying even further in the process. Then to add insult to injury, Muku.[b]BIRD[//b] almost instantaneously performs an Aerial Ace (this part looks uber cool btw) flying back over the snack-based parasitic twin, coming back round and delivering the attack directly to it's pie-hole.

-When Muku.BIRD is facing Turtwig before their match starts, it pours on the Muku.ANGST and lets us know it's sore about it's previous defeat with the classic scowl/growl combo. Priceless scene, that.

-And because I won't let the love for Muku.BIRD end, I'd also like to add how awesome it was to see him force Turtwig into some trees before schooling it with a head on attack, causing property damage in the process.

-Aipom comes out of it's pokéball, and does a very contest-esque entrance, before taking a bow. Obviously, this is your cue to start up some horrendous speculation thread, of which will inevitably devolve into some crap about how Ash should’ve got Buoysel. I know the truth hurts more than a ball of smouldering Chimchar faeces to one’s eye-socket, but unfortunately you can’t hide from it.
In any case, this was a good battle for her, and did a great job of showing what she’s truly capable of. Perhaps there were even enough crazy stunts (punching it’s own Swift Attack) and impressive moves (using Double Team to locate the Grass Knots) to perhaps alter the opinions of those mean ol’ Aipom nay-sayers? ;)

-Roserade’s voice was thumbs-up worthy, and this time around it was a lot more reminiscent of Shuu’s Roselia. And hey, Shimura did a pretty decent job with it too, so there’s a plus.

Seijiro Mafuné
8th June 2007, 12:14 PM
Speaking of Roslaid, the last part of the fight... I think Aipom either got a 9000+ power level up, or it was actually frailer than it looked like (I mean, okay, it got blasted by its own fire attack, but...), because, for it to be punch THROUGH a tree and leave cracks on the wall is a bit too unrealistic, even for this.

Okay, something similar happened when Staravia attacked Gardenia's Turtwig, only it was more like branches than anything and it wasn't from kinetic launching.

But eh. Does anyone else think TR's appearance was like the one from Roark's battles, only lamer, since we knew Ash and co. would leave?

Knight_Ram
8th June 2007, 12:43 PM
So, Ash won? I have yet to see the pictures.

PANCAKE
8th June 2007, 2:16 PM
^ Aren't you supposed to have seen the pics or eppy before you post here dude?

Very good battle. But the whole "blinded-by-an-attack-and-listening-to-counter" stratigies are getting moldy old Ash.

Loved the Aipom bow BTW.

S.Suikun
8th June 2007, 4:23 PM
I liked this better than the Roark battle. The entire battle was fair, with no cheap victories or anything. Poor Muku.JESUS got Leech Seeded right in the cranium, which we all know is its most delicate area. It may have sapped any functioning aspects remaining...

The Benmeister
8th June 2007, 4:46 PM
Magical Leaf was avoided twice. Maybe it's not all it's cracked up to be :P

Maestro Kinético
8th June 2007, 4:54 PM
Nothing special about this one, just a normal battle with no emotion. Cherimbo vs Naetle was cheap and Naetle vs Naetle was cheap too. But Mukkubird was the worst, they are neglecting him. Aipom wining was horrible, I don't like Aipom at all. The FX were too artificial. And the TR plot was boring and took out the emotion of the battle,looked forced.

A bad epsiode after a great one...

freakin_chicken
8th June 2007, 4:58 PM
Turtwig vs. Turtwig should have been more exciting... and Leaf Storm didn't look that powerful this time.
Staravia won a gym battle! that's enough hapiness for one episode.
Aipom's battle was the best so far. i guess there won't be any Aipom-Buizel trade after all. Aipom could show its contests skills while battling, that Swift attack surrounding Roserade was awesome.

Blaziryu
8th June 2007, 4:59 PM
This episode was alright. I'm glad Ash won the gym battle without TR messing it up. Thank goodness for Sinnoh Underground to keep TR busy. They should always do some underground digging when Ash battle the other 6 gym leaders for now on. It's bull how Magicial Leaf kept missing since it's accuracy is 100. And Starvia is pretty pathetic for losing against a grass-type.

Geodude
8th June 2007, 5:12 PM
And Starvia is pretty pathetic for losing against a grass-type.

It also won against a Grass type.

Gravy
8th June 2007, 5:26 PM
Cherimbo vs Naetle was cheap and Naetle vs Naetle was cheap too.
And how, exactly, were they cheap? I know that taking a dump on nearly every episode under the sun is apparantly the equivelent to some sort of passionate love affair for you, but the majority of the time your criticisms are far too random.

Korobooshi Kojiro
8th June 2007, 6:59 PM
The grass! It was GREEN! It was unacceptable to my standards, which are apparently higher then all you "peons" who inhabit this lowly forum...ha, I spit on you all!

Anyway, sarcasm aside (along with personal allu...oh, y'know what? That was an obvious diss. ) I rather enjoyed this episode, it was a great Gym Battle and all of Ash's Pokemon who fought got a win in, which is good.

I also liked how they took advantage of the battlefield and sun, with Mukubird trapping Turtwig in a tree, Cherinbo being affected by the sun like it's evolved form, Roserade using Weather Ball (which looked like something out of Yu-Gi-Oh), and it viciously tripping Turtwig by manipulating the grass.

Speaking of Turtwig, even though it doesn't have a definite personality (besides being stubborn and tough, I guess), atleast it has some neato facial expressions and Miki provides it with a hillarious voice that I love. It also is a decent battler as well, and I'm glad it atleast isn't a loser and hollow shell like...some Pokemon...(Goldeen, Forretress, Noctowl).

Mukubird definately didn't get cheated out as I originally though. Defeating Cherubi, a man so evil hell spit him back out, was pretty neat and he put up a good fight against Turtwig. Although, he got mind-raped by that Leech Seed, sucking out what little sanity he had.

Aipom was also adorable, and his swift-combo was neat. I'm slightly confused as they seemed to be hinting at the "trade", but otherwise his Contest style of battle isn't hindering to Ash and the hug at the end makes me question if Ash would trade it to Dawn.

Roserade was neat too...especially it's FLAMING FIRE BLAST ATTACK YOUR LIFEPOINTS DIRECTLY Weather Ball and that tricky Grass Knot.

Oh, and that miner tricking Team Rocket was a nice B-Plot, because it was small and didn't hinder the battle any. Also, I'm sure he was voiced by the guy who did Magikarp Man, so that's cool. And it was a nod to you getting the Mining Kit in the game, so that was nice.

The only cons was the off-modelness especially hearing that Iwane apparently was suppose to do this, but the animation was pretty good during certain parts. However, I swear when Turtwig (Gardenia's) launched that Leaf Storm at one part it was reused from the previous fight (not counting the flashbacks) as the animation suddenly went up, but it doesn't matter too much as they've been doing stuff like this from Season 1 (remember how choppy they had Ash's "I CHOOSE YOU!" scene from like episode 3 used up through Johto?).

So yeah, nice episode...very...DRAMATIC!

uber gon
8th June 2007, 6:59 PM
I thought Roserade's vines were used for Grass Knot.

However, the real version is cool too.

Almighty Zard
8th June 2007, 7:58 PM
It also won against a Grass type.

A rather pathetic one that was only threatening when it's ability was in play, not to mention it took Staravia three hits to beat it(was the quick attack necessary?), yet Gardenia had to recall it before since it couldn't stand up to a single razor leaf?

Turtwig vs Turtwig was alright, Aipom earned a small bit of respect for knocking roserade threw a tree and into the wall extremely hard, heh Roserade looked dead after it fainted and that made me even happier.

scissorX
9th June 2007, 12:13 AM
I was disapointed with Staravia in this episode, but I guess I expected it. It was nice to see the bird has got some power behind it though, and hopefully Ash will see this. Or the writers, who knows.

I thought Aipom Vs. Roserade was a brilliant battle, and has been my favourite Aipom battle so far. The little girl really has progressed.

Turtwigs win was inevitable, although it was a good battle I still found it fairly boring to tell the truth.

Animation was real good in this episode too, some of the best battle scenes in Sinnoh.

P13
9th June 2007, 1:01 AM
Good episode. I liked it.

Loved how Staravia went kamikaze on Cherubi's a** (who got one hell of a power up since the last battle). Of course, being God, coming out completely unscathed, then getting completely owned by a Leech Seed - Tackle combo. Only Staravia...

Aipom was good too, but I'm getting really tired of Swift and Focus Punch...

And the underground guy is totally moving in on Magikarp guy's territory of scamming Team Rocket, I hope the two of them fight to the death.

Dax
9th June 2007, 1:04 AM
So if Staravia lose he's a bad pokemon and if he wins he's a bad pokemon too? Turtwig couldn't even handle Cherubi. Staravia lost without even getting a hit. He's a nice battler and I loved all that he did. Going high in the sky to dodge the Magical Leaf and then beating Cherubi's *** with his amazing Quick Attack. Everyone was great in this episode and even that Turtwig is not my favorite I have to agree that he was great.

Aipom stole my heart and becomes one of my favorite Ash's pokemon with Staravia, Swellow and Sceptile.

I hate the Underground in the games but I guess is nice that they presented it in this episode.

And I totally agree, the sky was too blue, Turtwig was too green and the grass too.

AshfanGirl20
9th June 2007, 5:55 AM
This episode was alright. I'm glad Ash won the gym battle without TR messing it up. Thank goodness for Sinnoh Underground to keep TR busy. They should always do some underground digging when Ash battle the other 6 gym leaders for now on. It's bull how Magicial Leaf kept missing since it's accuracy is 100. And Starvia is pretty pathetic for losing against a grass-type.

I'm glad Team Rocket was kept busey too, though it would have been neat if they saw his victory some how. I loved Aipom's battle that rocked and was so happy Ash won the gym. I sense his winning streak comming back, this is one of my favorite episodes yet. And where was it hinted that Dawn/Ash were going to trade?

uber gon
9th June 2007, 6:50 AM
So if Staravia lose he's a bad pokemon and if he wins he's a bad pokemon too? Turtwig couldn't even handle Cherubi. Staravia lost without even getting a hit. He's a nice battler and I loved all that he did. Going high in the sky to dodge the Magical Leaf and then beating Cherubi's *** with his amazing Quick Attack. Everyone was great in this episode and even that Turtwig is not my favorite I have to agree that he was great.

Aipom stole my heart and becomes one of my favorite Ash's pokemon with Staravia, Swellow and Sceptile.

I hate the Underground in the games but I guess is nice that they presented it in this episode.

And I totally agree, the sky was too blue, Turtwig was too green and the grass too.

Let's hope the next gym is just as good.

cassius335
9th June 2007, 11:53 AM
Loved the Aipom vs Roserade battle. So THAT was Grass Knot? Interesting. Pity Nozomi wasn't around to see the Speed Star Circle Combination Crash in action.

Wonder if Aipom's going to get Screech and/or Agility. They're next on her Lvl up list.

Maestro Kinético
9th June 2007, 12:01 PM
And how, exactly, were they cheap? I know that taking a dump on nearly every episode under the sun is apparantly the equivelent to some sort of passionate love affair for you, but the majority of the time your criticisms are far too random.

I don't understand what you said about the sun O.O

I think that the Naetle battle wqas cheap because whilst Mukkubird got KOed by a leech seed Naetle stayed strong even if it had battled before. The same goes with the bird loosing to a grass Pokemon, that tree thing was cheap.

Of course this are my opinions.

Knight_Ram
9th June 2007, 12:01 PM
Sorry about my stupid post from before, that was extremely stupid of me!

Ummm, from what I saw on the site. This episode seemed like a great battle between Ash and the leader!

Aipom should have at least moved up a level after defeating Roserade!!
Great to see that he didn't have to depend on Pikachu to win him a match.
The Turtwig rematch was an ok one to see from the pictures, kind of confused me on what one was the victor though. Other than that, great battle!! 8.3/10

Hope to post again about the Dub version.

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th June 2007, 5:08 PM
I don't understand what you said about the sun O.O

Like Cherubi, when you're under the sun it powers you up and allows you to dodge flames.

Or, basically Gravy is commenting on how the random complaining of episodes apparently is your job or something.

Mythic Mist
9th June 2007, 10:38 PM
I loved that the Underground made it's appearance in the anime. Underground Man is quite the con-artist. >_>

Korobooshi Kojiro
10th June 2007, 2:11 AM
Nah, I don't think that was Underground Man who gives you the gear in the games (and also, according to someone I believe in Sunnyshore, mentions he's related to Roark and Byron...probably the grandad), but one of those miners who sell you stuff.

n@nd0
10th June 2007, 7:01 AM
I think gardenia was jelous when she lost, i mean, she often have a cheerful attitude but when she lost she had a face of...she was happy but not

uber gon
10th June 2007, 9:14 AM
Loved the Aipom vs Roserade battle. So THAT was Grass Knot? Interesting. Pity Nozomi wasn't around to see the Speed Star Circle Combination Crash in action.

Wonder if Aipom's going to get Screech and/or Agility. They're next on her Lvl up list.

How did Aipom do that swirling SWIFT thing?

Geodude
10th June 2007, 4:02 PM
yet Gardenia had to recall it before since it couldn't stand up to a single razor leaf?
That obviously wasn't the point of sending it out. She was using it to gauge the strength of Ash's Turtwig before sending out her own to battle it. Why else would she give it absolutely no commands?

Snorkle
10th June 2007, 11:45 PM
Stupid computer acting up again...anyways...

Yay, Mukkubird gets some spotlight! About time. Kind of stinks that they had it battle only Solar-Beam-happy-Cherubi, but even so, it was pretty darn cool. Like when it flew up high to dodge Magical Leaf and all that (I'm surprised it didn't get light-headed at such altitudes. Well, its used to it on a daily basis, so...). Would have wanted more showtime for him, but ah well. Better than nothing.

Turtwig vs. Turtwig was a given. Though I found it funny how Natane's got stuck in the tree when it was up against Mukkubird. This battle was pretty good. Nothing incredible, but good.

Yesss! Aipom instead of Pikachu? Thank God! The little ape deserves a win for being such a most non-uber Pokemon. And after that entrance, my liking for Aipom has gone way up. And those Contest-techniques were pretty cool too. As for Roserade? I'm glad it got decent animation. ^^ But...crashing through a tree and literally slicing it by the trunk after being hit by Focus Punch was a tad unbelievable. Just a tad~

Gravy
11th June 2007, 2:54 PM
I think that the Naetle battle wqas cheap because whilst Mukkubird got KOed by a leech seed Naetle stayed strong even if it had battled before. The same goes with the bird loosing to a grass Pokemon, that tree thing was cheap.

Of course this are my opinions.
If you were paying any attention, Muku.BIRD wasn't KO'd by the Leech Seed, and it was inf act the combination of both that and a Tackle attack by Gardenia's Turtwig that finished the job.
Second (and this is the most important factor), Ash's Turtwig began to use Synthesis as soon as the Leech Seed began to take effect, meaning it was restoring it's own health the entire time. Compare this to Muku.BIRD, who has no such luxury. Gardenia's Turtwig used Leaf Storm, but the attack missed, so Ash's Turtwig managed to regain even more of it's health, essentially negating the Leech Seed's effect. By this point, Gardenia's Turtwig had taken a large amount of damage, and it was the pokémon in the most danger. It's also worth mentioning that the damage Ash's Turtwig received from the final Tackle attack used against it caused a significant amount of damage, possibly just as much damage as Muku.BIRD had sustained.
Turtwig and Muku.BIRD took the same amount of hits, but Turtwig restored it's health half-way through the battle. I don't understand how this is cheap - please explain. The way you present your argument makes it sound as if you didn't even watch the episode, as you're missing key points that go against your claims.

As for the 'tree thing', I have no idea what you're refering to. If you're talking about the characters crashing into the trees and such...so what? The battlefield was full of them. It's no different from characters crashing into walls or falling out the ring, which has been happening since day one.

And you've yet to explain how the Cherubi battle was cheap. It used the battle conditions to it's advantage (with it's ability Chlorophyll and the fact that Solar Beam can be used like a regular attack in strong sunlight), so what exactly was cheap about that? If you're thinking of the last battle it had against Ash's pokémon, that was clearly just a test to gauge Ash's strength, as Geodude already explained.
Or if it's the fact that Magical Leaf wasn't 100% accurate, that's silly, because moves of this nature often miss their target in the show, and (again) it's been that way since the series first started.

Having an opinion is fine and all, but generally, it's required that you at least get your facts straight before you try to judge something.

uber gon
12th June 2007, 8:02 PM
How did Aipom do that swirling SWIFT thing?

I still would like an explaination here.

Geodude
13th June 2007, 7:15 AM
So would we. What do you mean by that? I know what you're referring to, but what exactly do you want explained?

uber gon
13th June 2007, 9:15 AM
So would we. What do you mean by that? I know what you're referring to, but what exactly do you want explained?

How does Aipom get her stars to surround Roserade. Was Focus Punch involved?

Seijiro Mafuné
13th June 2007, 1:12 PM
I think that Aipom is able to manipulate her attack to do things it normally can't, when it's in a Contest mentality (like then). Enough, at least, that it could defy physics and actually work out well.

Either that or a wizard did it.

Geodude
13th June 2007, 1:28 PM
How does Aipom get her stars to surround Roserade. Was Focus Punch involved?

No, but it did use Focus Punch after to send one star into the circle, knocking them all into Roserade.

Mythic Mist
16th June 2007, 7:58 AM
Wait, who animated this? Iwane, or Shimura?

uber gon
16th June 2007, 8:07 AM
No, but it did use Focus Punch after to send one star into the circle, knocking them all into Roserade.

Cool. Paul better watch out for that one.

-Starly-
16th June 2007, 8:32 AM
I think that Aipom is able to manipulate her attack to do things it normally can't, when it's in a Contest mentality (like then). Enough, at least, that it could defy physics and actually work out well.

Either that or a wizard did it.
Obviously the wizard.

Wait, who animated this? Iwane, or Shimura?
IIRC, Shimura.

Frankly (and ignoring a certain someone who thought the battles were cheap), I enjoyed the entire battle. From MUKU.BIRD. rocketing vertically to dodge the Magical Leaf, to Turtwig owning Gardenia's Turtwig even when Leech Seeded(which I'm sure the Pokémon games-only elitists are *****ing about), to Aipom using DT to get past Grass Knot, to the finale of Aipom's circling Swift hitting Roserade, the entire episode was full of win. Shame that Iwane didn't do this episode.

uber gon
16th June 2007, 10:59 AM
How did Grass Knot work in this episode?

TeddiUrsa
16th June 2007, 3:32 PM
How did Grass Knot work in this episode?

A knot of grass appears in the grass.

uber gon
16th June 2007, 9:10 PM
A knot of grass appears in the grass.

How did it trip Turtwig?

Kabuto
16th June 2007, 9:16 PM
Great battles. Especially the finale, you had to feel happy for Aipomn at the end :p.

Geodude
17th June 2007, 4:57 PM
How did it trip Turtwig?

It came up in front of Turtwig and it tripped over it. Is it really that hard to picture?

uber gon
19th June 2007, 8:09 AM
It came up in front of Turtwig and it tripped over it. Is it really that hard to picture?

No, but the images I have don't show this.

reehee
25th June 2007, 1:20 PM
Two leaves of grass tied up into a knot, and Turtwig, which was running toward Roserade, tripped and fell.

That's how I can explain.

Gardenia's gym battle had more action than Roark's, in my opinion. Especially at the end. Aipom was really awesome.

uber gon
26th June 2007, 8:00 AM
Two leaves of grass tied up into a knot, and Turtwig, which was running toward Roserade, tripped and fell.

That's how I can explain.

Gardenia's gym battle had more action than Roark's, in my opinion. Especially at the end. Aipom was really awesome.

Anyone here find it weird that Ash does better when Paul's NOT around?

Anyway, YAY STARAVIA!!!

Seijiro Mafuné
26th June 2007, 12:29 PM
Ash hates Paul. Paul hates Ash. Ash wants to prove to Paul he isn't a weakling. Thus, he did stupid stuff last time because he wasn't wanting a badge as much as making Paul STFU and stop mistreating/releasing his Pokémon.

End of.

reehee
27th June 2007, 12:49 PM
Sounded a bit harsh, but I think that's right...

Ash was more focused on showing off to Paul what he can do, rather than what he really was aiming for.

Ancax
19th August 2007, 6:32 AM
The attack Roserade used to trip Turtwig was Extrasensory. Budew learns it as an egg move, and I heard Gardenia say it, then Roserade's eyes glew, and moved the grass. Grass Knot was when she tripped Aipom after.

Gravy
19th August 2007, 12:03 PM
She didn't say 'Extrasensory', because that particular attack isn't even called 'Extrasensory' in japan (Jintsuuriki).
She said 'Kusamusubi'. Which, lo and behold, is what they call Grass Knot on those shores.

pipersgirl™
20th August 2007, 11:58 PM
This ep is going to be ok, Im glad she is in more than one episode.

uber gon
21st August 2007, 1:12 AM
Sounded a bit harsh, but I think that's right...

Ash was more focused on showing off to Paul what he can do, rather than what he really was aiming for.

Well that sucks. Hop Paul doesn't show up in the 3rd gym.

pipersgirl™
21st August 2007, 1:24 AM
I cant wait to see what grassrope looks like.

uber gon
21st August 2007, 4:57 PM
I cant wait to see what grassrope looks like.

Look at the episode images. It'll give you an idea.

zainhigh
3rd October 2007, 6:20 AM
hi to all
it's awesome but ash's pokemon were week there is a mistake in it

bobjr
4th October 2007, 6:43 PM
hi to all
it's awesome but ash's pokemon were week there is a mistake in it

Actually I think that they improved greatly since the last gym esp Aipom.

uber gon
4th October 2007, 11:53 PM
Actually I think that they improved greatly since the last gym esp Aipom.

Would've been cool if Aipom learned FIRE PUNCH.

Durden
16th November 2007, 6:59 PM
Okay, 1 day left, I'm ready for some Aipom pwnage! <3

WaterDragon trainer
17th November 2007, 4:07 PM
This episode was very good. Nice to see the Chlorophyll ability again. It was cool to see a Weather Ball and Grass Knot attacks. It was cool when Roserade’s Weather Ball got deflected. It seemed a bit much when Aipom Focus Punched Roserade through a tree AND put a huge dent in the wall. Overall, a nice battle as well as it being good that Team Rocket didn’t do anything devious for once.

Dax
17th November 2007, 4:12 PM
I actually thought Clorophyll affected Cherubi's strength but it's not attacks, it's in speed. It always kept thinking it was in attacks so Staravia winning against it was good considering that Turtwig couldn't defeat it. Even though I felt Cherubi was overpowered. That little thing gave Turtwig too much of a hard time.

Aipom was the one that really made me cringe. I understand she's strong but the final battle was nothing new. How many times we have seen Focus Punch and Swift? This time it really didn't look good. It won and she's good but this time it just felt really random.

Turtwig like always impresses me when he's battling, only when he's battling.

HoennMaster
18th November 2007, 8:36 AM
The gym battle was a good one, however it is kind of sad when I have to consider Staravia vs. Cherubi as the highlight of the battle.

Durden
18th November 2007, 2:43 PM
I just gotta say, that the japanese version was MUCH better. PUSA cut out almost all good BGM's, and replaced them with theirs.. no action in those at all..

Disappointed :/

Corzola
19th November 2007, 2:01 AM
A good gym battle episode, a nice match overall and Aipom fought as she was in a Contest (foreshadowing...hm...). Ash showed that he is a better trainer than before, which Gardenia pointed out. I was a bit disapointed that Dawn didn´t wear her cheerleader outfit, she was cool in that one.

Poke'T<3
19th November 2007, 2:38 AM
That was quite possibly the best episode in all of sinnoh so far! Not the best gym battle because the one with Roark was a bit more action packed but this one was awesome too. Aipom totally kicked but i hate the thought of that being screwed up by those freaking contests! :( Ash really knows how to work aipom and her skill, if they start using eachothers pokemon that will be werid they will really have to trade like in the machine. I dont like the idea of aipom being used by dawn if its ash's. Anyways WE GOT TO SEE SOME STARAVIA ACTION! Cherubi was like ten times better it was werid. I have a complaint to these writers are they gonna make ash lose to every gym leader in sinnoh. Also, they made him lose to a lot of other people he has ten times more experience then...

Rebeccag
19th November 2007, 6:02 PM
I quite liked this episode i liked the team rocket bits in the underground tunnel and i liked the battles as well although the aipom posing bit and ash saying this isnt a contest made me think it could be aipoms last gym battle.And it was good to see roserade again ^_^

turtle twig
19th November 2007, 11:37 PM
Great episode overall.

My quips: I don't think PUSA did a good job with matching the dialog. Some of Gardenia and Brock's dialog seemed out of step.

And it is worrysome to see Aipom acting like she's in a contest. This week's Japanese episode should hopefully reveal a lot.

RageKaiser
21st November 2007, 2:55 AM
Great episode overall.

My quips: I don't think PUSA did a good job with matching the dialog. Some of Gardenia and Brock's dialog seemed out of step.

Voices, music, they're just batting strikes everywhere `-`
(is there like anyway we can like complain to them?)

But uh, I did enjoy the battle somewhat, but I found myself skipping through the TR parts though, they were really...annoying.

One comment I do have to make, I love Staravia, I love every little thing about the little guy.

Dax
21st November 2007, 4:07 AM
One comment I do have to make, I love Staravia, I love every little thing about the little guy.

Welcome to the club.

uber gon
21st November 2007, 8:38 AM
You'd think after his battle with Nando, Ash would've remembered the Sun's affect on SOLARBEAM the WHOLE MATCH.

Mythic Mist
22nd November 2007, 6:46 AM
The dub was pretty good. They replaced every bgm in the turtwings battle, but that wasnt so bad since I didnt really like it in the first place. Then they played some really epic sounding one in the first half of the Roserade match which I thought was pretty awesome...but then they had to end it with that one piece of crap track that I absolutely despise. Yuck. Overall, it was good episode though.

wobbanut
27th August 2008, 3:10 AM
Ash had a great battle in this episode, and I'm glad he won his second badge in one episode, but I really liked Team Rocket's story in this episode. I enjoy going to the Underground, so I'm glad they found a way to include it in this episode. Plus, they get the bonus of not blasting off in this episode, and a good meal. :)

I think it's also interesting that this is probably the first time in the show's history that by the time the dub aired, Ash had the same number of badges in the U.S. that he did in Japan.

Splitzman
14th November 2008, 2:02 AM
Did anyone happen to notice the Kanji writing above the restaurant's entrance, or am I the only one?

However, I really enjoyed this episode, especially Aipom vs. Roserade.

HoennMaster
14th November 2008, 8:04 AM
Japanese writing is nothing new, PUSA has been leaving it in for two years now.

Torpoleon
20th November 2008, 12:43 AM
Too bads for Staravia losing to the sam Pokemon twice when it has the advantage overall a great episode.

HoennMaster
20th November 2008, 8:08 AM
Well, at least this time it had already had a battle so it wasn't at full power.

TurtwigFan1
10th December 2008, 8:15 PM
It was a good episode, Gardenia is my favourite Sinnoh Gym Leader and Turtwig vs. Turtwig was FABULOUS!

Igottapoo
6th January 2009, 10:42 AM
Poor Staravia. Getting beaten so easily :( Good Gym Battle, though.

(s.i.e)
11th March 2009, 12:07 PM
staravia got beaten by the same opponent twice, i was actually hoping that he would win this time-_-

Blue Snover
11th March 2009, 1:45 PM
I love Gardenia, this was a great gym battle.

I think the only slip up she made was starting out with Cherubi, but it was still nice to see it make an appearance.

Her Turtwig is really well trained, but Ash managed to beat it.

I think this was one of the best gym battles i've seen.

Palamon
13th March 2009, 11:39 PM
This episode was okay it was not my favorite gym battle it was my least favourite.
I have no reason why I just didn't like it, maybe because Gardenia doesn't excite me much maybe that 's why.
But at least Ash beat her that is what matters to me that Ash had 2 gym badges no longer one.
But meh... the battle with Maylene was more exciting then this one.
And I also don't like the dub name so I don't want to watch it again.
It's just my thoughts.
So my least favorite Gym leader battle was this one.

Ash-kid
30th April 2009, 1:16 PM
Why Ash did'nt use Pikachu instead of Aipom in this gym?

Torpoleon
24th May 2009, 5:55 PM
Why Ash did'nt use Pikachu instead of Aipom in this gym?
I can't understand you. Did you mean why did Ash use Aipom over Pikchu. It is because Electric type moves aren't very effective against grass types and Aipom had a better advantage than Pikachu move wise.

Shadow XD001
5th June 2009, 12:59 AM
The battle was great although, I wish Staravia was more of the star in this gym. Aipom and Ash developed a great bond in this episode.

Littlemyuu
13th June 2009, 12:49 AM
Nice battle, i love gym battles in animes..^^
it was a great episode btw =)

S.Suikun
21st June 2009, 9:59 PM
This is a pretty good gym battle. Not as good as Shinji vs. Hyouta or Satoshi/Hyouta Round 1, but certainly above Satoshi/Hyouta Round 2. For one, everything in this battle is believable. Muku.BIRD (it just won't stay dead!) gets its first gym victory in style, then lends its birdbrained self to a few entertaining scenes involving trees and Leech Seeds. Aipom gets its overdue time in the gym spotlight as well, with Roserade getting some decent battle exposure as opposed to what it got in DP025. Natane is a really fun gym leader, and it was good to get the Naetle vs. Naetle rematch. Animation and music were decent.

I really like the Team Rocket B-plot in this, as not only does it give them something unrelated to do, but it introduces the idea of Sinnoh Underground to the anime while still in Hakutai City. Obviously the Underground was never going to be a huge part of the anime, but it's still nice to see some form of adaptation. The battle itself lacks some of the excitement of other gym matches, especially of ones later in the saga, and is fairly straightforward on the whole. But sometimes being straightforward works as opposed to pulling ridiculous strategies out of nowhere that don't make a lick of sense.

B+

milenadrg
10th July 2009, 6:01 PM
This episode was great! Battle with Gardenia was cool. Poor Staravia lost to that Turtwig again... :( Aipom Vs. Roserade battle was great, too... Aipom became blind!
I liked that underground man's English voice(but I never heard Japanesse one)...

Mr. Smile
2nd August 2009, 11:46 PM
This was a good episode. Ash's gym battle was interesting to watch. Team Rocket being fooled by the underground man was a funny plot to add to this episode. 8/10

Ash-kid
4th August 2009, 6:30 PM
It was a good gym battle, because Roserade was battled vs 2 of Ash's pokemon, and not against 3.

STICKTOPIA
19th September 2009, 3:32 AM
cant believe staravia lost again......

Lorde
11th January 2010, 9:02 AM
Yeah, finally the gym battle. I was thinking that we'd never get to this point with all the episodes interupting this moment.

Loved the battle, although I thought Cherubi and Turtwig were weaker compared to Roserade for some reason, despite the fact that Roserade is naturally stronger.

I liked that they showed Weather Ball in this one, and that it turned into fire. 6/10

KGB13
22nd January 2010, 4:53 AM
This was such an awesome Gym Battle! Gardenia is a very good trainer and her Turtwig is a force to be reckoned with even though Ash's Turtwig beat it. Aipom absolutely demolished her Roserade, but it's Weather Ball attack looked really cool. Overall this was a really fantastic episode.

Willow's Tara
31st May 2010, 10:13 AM
Gardenia was quite tough especially with her Turtwig, I wonder if it would be even stronger as a Torterra especially being Ground/Grass.

Good that Staravia got a win in this but it's shame it didn't get to do more or win the entire battle like against Turtwig, but there's plenty more episodes for it to shine and gym battles for it to be in. The fact Gardenia was in this episode too is another reason I like it, she's just so wacky lol.

wind21
1st July 2010, 4:36 AM
Okay. I'm just going to focus on 2 scenes in particular. Well, one isn't that important, but I like it anyway. Pretty quick review today.

The first scene is Ash's use of Staravia against Cherub. Ash gets into a bit of a bother b/c of the sun being so bright-allowing Cherub to use solarbeam instantly (no wonder Gardenia liked Nando's battling style)-, but he's bailed out by a cloud cover that reduces the sunshine. Staravia is way up in the sky after dodging a magical leaf (which is supposed to always hit, if I remember my game mechanics correctly), and Ash orders Staravia to use wing attack coming in at a slow speed. This totally surprises Brock and Dawn, who expect Ash to counter attack quickly and are wondering why Ash is wasting an opportunity. But of course, Ash is just waiting for the clouds to pass, releasing sunlight right into Cherub's eyes and allowing Staravia to connect with a couple of super effective hits in quick succession. Ash also uses another clever strategy when fighting Turtwig, having Staravia unleash a barrage of attacks to back Turtwig up against a tree, leaving it uncoordinated and open to Staravia's attack. I think these are pretty neat moments from Dawn's perspective, as she stops questioning why Ash is doing what he's doing in later gym battles and respects that he has a plan. Brock never gets like this, for whatever reason.

Aipom finishes off the victory for Ash by using a swift move that looks like it came from a contest, which is one of the more unique ko moves I've seen in a gym battle.

Okay, the 2nd scene (sorry, counted all of Ash's brilliance in the battling scenes as one) that stuck with me from this episode is Gardenia's very sneaky use of Grass Knot, whispering it so that Ash couldn't hear (although I wonder if that's just a dubbing thing). There's more to her than meets the eye as far as being wacky and a bit air-headed; she has a sly, serious side to her as well, which I found shocking. People like that scare me a little, I must admit.

saar
8th July 2010, 10:51 AM
Gardenia's Turtwig this time was weaker than Ash's Turtwig, Ash has improved since the loss against her.
Aipom was awesome...^^

Lance The Champ
2nd December 2010, 2:56 PM
Was an awesome battle especially the clash between Aipom and Roserade

hever
6th March 2011, 12:57 AM
Gardenia is awesome; as well as Grass Pokemon. Seeing Roserade in battle was awesome. 7/10

G50
27th April 2011, 10:47 AM
This episode was great. The Gym Battle was great. It was cool to see Cherubi's Chlorophyll ability shown for the 1st time. I like Ash's plan of having Staravia fly high up to avoid the Magical Leaf attack, then fly down slowly, making the Sun blind Cherubi and then come in with its best attacks. It was unfortunate that Staravia once again lost to Gardenia's Turtwig. It was cool how Ash's Turtwig was able to hang in there to defeat Gardenia's Turtwig. Roserade is really strong. Weather Ball and Grass Knot looked really cool. Grass Knot oddly enough wasn't exactly what I expected it to look like. It was cool how Aipom was able to use its ears to hear the attack and be able to deflect it back. Double Team +Swift worked well to take down Roserade. Flash attack looked cool and was very clever. I'm glad Ash won his 2nd badge.

89/100

BurningSociety12345543210
20th February 2012, 1:04 AM
A blind monkey could beat that Roserade. In fact, one did.

TurTrain
19th June 2013, 3:24 AM
Any episode with Tutwig in it is a good episode to me!

Lorde
24th November 2014, 3:50 AM
Team Rocket's antics in the Sinnoh Underground were way more appealing to me than Ash's Gym battle with Gardenia tbh; I especially liked how TR's eyes turned into Spheres. Anyway, Gardenia's Cherubi must've been pretty durable to force Ash to switch Pokemon and I screamed when Staravia lost to Turtwig. Turtwig vs. Turtwig was enjoyable though.

Painkiller2001
15th December 2014, 4:45 AM
I liked how, just like in the games, the writers put in the Sinno Underground.