PDA

View Full Version : May I offer a suggestion?

Shuko
22nd June 2007, 3:58 PM
I'm one of those (annoying) people who likes to warn users that they're breaking the rules in the chat. :p My intentions are just to keep them from getting themselves kicked out of their own ignorance, but anyway, that's beside the point. The reason I bring it up is that a lot of people like to argue about the rules that are posted here, vs. the rules and guidelines that are printed below the chat window (in the Java chat). These people tell me that they don't go to the SPPf, and those rules aren't printed where they can see them, so how are they supposed to know what they are?

My suggestion is this. Would it be possible to post the rules there as well as here? For people who don't go to the forums, it'd be a help. Naturally, it has little to do with me, since I go to the forums too. :p But I do hate to see people make fools of themselves out of ignorance. =x It makes hurt feelings all around.

Sonozaki Maya
22nd June 2007, 4:16 PM
Let them solve their own ignorance. Trying to do something about it won't help the foolish populace who don't want to bother with spending a couple of seconds even skimming through rules below the applet. Javatards shouldn't evne exist anyway...

Shuko
22nd June 2007, 4:20 PM
Let them solve their own ignorance. Trying to do something about it won't help the foolish populace who don't want to bother with spending a couple of seconds even skimming through rules below the applet. Javatards shouldn't evne exist anyway...I'm not talking about the ones who don't even bother to check the rules below. If you'd read what I said, the ones in question DID refer to those rules, but didn't find any of the forum-specific ones there.

Besides, even for those of us who DO go to the forums, we can't always reference the rules posted here because the forums are down so much.

And really, it's very grown up of you to alienate so many of the chat's users like that. -_- Not all of us like mIRC, you know. I for one tried to install the app. they linked to on the Javachat page, and every time I try to run it it crashes my computer. My computer's specs are just fine. I just can't get mIRC to work. So I use the Javachat instead, and I'll thank you not to question my intelligence for it.

Erik Destler
23rd June 2007, 6:49 AM
I'm not talking about the ones who don't even bother to check the rules below. If you'd read what I said, the ones in question DID refer to those rules, but didn't find any of the forum-specific ones there.

Besides, even for those of us who DO go to the forums, we can't always reference the rules posted here because the forums are down so much.

And really, it's very grown up of you to alienate so many of the chat's users like that. -_- Not all of us like mIRC, you know. I for one tried to install the app. they linked to on the Javachat page, and every time I try to run it it crashes my computer. My computer's specs are just fine. I just can't get mIRC to work. So I use the Javachat instead, and I'll thank you not to question my intelligence for it.

What kind of computer do you have?

If you have a MAC, it won't work.. .-.

Misaki-chi
23rd June 2007, 6:56 AM
Let them solve their own ignorance. Trying to do something about it won't help the foolish populace who don't want to bother with spending a couple of seconds even skimming through rules below the applet. Javatards shouldn't evne exist anyway...

Hear, hear, Trance.

Maybe put a link to the rules in the topic. Either way, most of the important ones are common sense/in the topic, so people complaining about it is ridiculous. =-=;

Shuko
25th June 2007, 4:13 PM
Hear, hear, Trance.

Maybe put a link to the rules in the topic. Either way, most of the important ones are common sense/in the topic, so people complaining about it is ridiculous. =-=;Did you even read what I said? -.- They didn't know about the rules posted here on the forums, because they weren't forum members. How would they know to look there, when there's no link to it, and the only rules they see are the general chat rules below the Java chat window? And on top of that, when the forum is down due to lag (which happens most during peak times, and also when the chat is at its most frenzied) they couldn't see the rules posted here anyway.

It's all fine and good to tell them it should be common sense, but there are some rules that might not be common to everyone. For instance, the rule about bold, underline, and caps might seem like common sense to you and me, but I've seen people get kicked after using the bold option only once. :p They might be a first time chat user; the rule isn't posted on the page below the java window, so how would they know if they aren't a forum member?

All I'm saying is that it'd cut down on a lot of confusion if things were consistent. At the very least we could have a link to the chat rules as they are here on the forum inside the logon script or posted below the java chat window.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble. I'm just saying it's unfair to expect all of the chatters to be forumgoers. :p