PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on paul

PaulFan1517
29th June 2007, 8:27 PM
Sorry if someone posted a topic like this already but I did search and didn't fine anything. Anyway people what are your thoughts on paul?

Do you think that he is a good enough character to help ash become a better trainer? or Do you think that he is a cruel jerk because he releases his pokemon?

I personally like him as a character and enjoy his battling style. In the episode yesterday at roark's gym he used great battling techniques unlike ash who just fought terrible. The only good thing I think that came out of ash's battle was that pikachu used a massive thunder attack when he saw paul leaving to defend his trainer. THe other good thing was that turtwig's speed improved.

I also believe paul is the kind of character that the writers and producers need to keep instead of adding a new rival every region(god I hope richie is gone for good that damm ash wannabee).

pokemaster001
29th June 2007, 9:27 PM
i dont like paul
not just because he releases his pokemon but that he has a complete disrespect for them
i do like how he battles but i would like a new rival that comes out watching paul beat ash again (XD)
then he comes and uses his own strategy to win
he would trea pokemon well

ash is the richie wannabe i wish the show were about him
I HATE ASHES PIKACHU ITS A WANNABE CUTE POKEMON PICHU IS CUTE AND RAICHU IS COOL BUT PIKACHU SUCKS

jirachiken
29th June 2007, 11:13 PM
I kind of think that he's evil.

noobers
29th June 2007, 11:17 PM
lol, "evil".

He's basically the irl version of a pokemon trainer. Releasing pokemon until a good one appeares.

Prio
29th June 2007, 11:22 PM
I just hope his Elekid and Chimchar become Infernape and Electavire.

!!!Serebii Lover!!!
29th June 2007, 11:24 PM
I don't like him I thnk he is just a copy of Gary before he became nice exept much much worst!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.::Escalator::.
29th June 2007, 11:27 PM
He's awesome, but he's a blithering moron. How do lose a gainst Geodude/Onix/Cranidos with Azumarrill's monster attack and STABbed Waterfall? What was it, level 4?

once in a blue Mew
29th June 2007, 11:30 PM

Afore they get released :\ But wait... Getting an Elecivire would require him to trade his Electabuzz... and... I think I can guess the fire type of this region. Magby, Ash and Paul trade Pokemon, Ash his Magmar and Paul his Electabuzz for one or 2 episodes, then they meet up again, Ash's Magmorter stronger, and Paul's Electivire Weaker XD. That's what would probably happen in my imagination.

I think he's actually pretty cool. He's my favorite. The cast should be;

Paul, Brock, and Dawn. Ash can be... that random person you see at the Leauges sitting in the stands cheering.

Rabid Jigglypuff
29th June 2007, 11:33 PM

I hope they get decapititated. I HATE PAUL. Anyway RICHIE IS GREAT. Ash is the richie wannabe lol.

Thaul
29th June 2007, 11:42 PM
Paul is a very unbalanced trainer in my own opinion. He can beat a cranidos with an Elekid but he cant beat a geodude with azumarrill, how is that possible?

Mcr
30th June 2007, 12:01 AM
ghe is samrt because he actually catches pokemon unlike ash wich he reuns awasy from a lvl30 ursaring and that guy catching it with like a lvl6 chimchar.

PaulFan1517
30th June 2007, 12:02 AM
The person that said Paul was like Gary before he became nice well gary didn't release his pokemon because they seemed weak. Remember basically all of gary's pokemon were powerful and at least he knew how to handle defeat.

Absol_utely
30th June 2007, 12:04 AM
it was so refreshing to see a proper 'villain' return to the series since TR have become pathetic fools over years...*sigh*

and i love how people hate him, yet HE IS the animated version of us, yes we rl trainers!!

He will be a formidable opponent in the Shinnoh league

PaulFan1517
30th June 2007, 12:07 AM
Absol Lutely I agree with you, you know the sad thing is that the writers and producers actually think that team rocket makes people laugh jeez they are so pathetic the ideas they come up with.

I do agree that it would be interesting to see paul battling ash in the sinnoh region.

PaulFan1517
30th June 2007, 12:09 AM
Absol Lutely I agree with you, you know the sad thing is that the writers and producers actually think that team rocket makes people laugh jeez they are so pathetic the ideas they come up with.

I do agree that it would be interesting to see paul battling ash in the sinnoh region.

Desert Flower
30th June 2007, 3:35 AM
I'd like him a lot better if he'd stop saying pathetic so much. Aside from that though, I like him since he's more of a unique rival, and does more than just taunt Ash like a third grader. I think that they probably designed him after players of the game who are so picky about pokemon that they no longer treat them as individuals.

Griff4815
30th June 2007, 3:50 AM
He's a wanker.

EternalSmasherSceptile
30th June 2007, 3:56 AM
He's a wanker.

I lol'd.

Paul's just one of those misunderstood trainers that think that pokemon are simply tools of war.
(I think he might be the anime version of your rival in G/S/C.)

Sonjo
30th June 2007, 4:01 AM
Paul's the best rival Ash has ever had ever since Gary. He's never shown losing, and that includes to Ash and co.

His attitude fits him well, along with his look. Though, I found it quite humourous that his Chimchar is upbeat, unlike his master.

Skarigon
30th June 2007, 4:04 AM
I hope they get decapititated. I HATE PAUL. Anyway RICHIE IS GREAT. Ash is the richie wannabe lol.

Decapitated? why not Disemboweled and Immolated?, I dont like him either

halloweenghost
30th June 2007, 5:11 AM
Paul is just misguided and yes I bet you anything before it is over he will learn this..and learn that pokemon are ment to be friends and will probabaly end up being a friend of sh's.. But I think Paul is the best thing to come to the series in a long time.. We need a decent Villain type charachter. Someone to keep Ash on his towes.. like Gary,..but better, Gary was annoying..Paul is a badass. and very welcomed in the show IMO. To Me the last time Team Rocket seemed good was on Do I hear a Ralts...when they actually faught the twerps and actually did a good job... I'm tired of the random arm coming and snags pikachu deal lately.

SapphireL
30th June 2007, 5:56 AM
This is about the anime, so I'm going to move it to the Pokemon Anime section.

*moves*

Suna
30th June 2007, 6:08 AM
I like paul he is my fav in the series I hope they keep him.

Ugobama
30th June 2007, 6:42 AM
He sucks.
aa

Marky Vigoroth
30th June 2007, 6:43 AM
But wait... Getting an Elecivire would require him to trade his Electabuzz...

But did not Misty's Poliwhirl evolve into a Politoed by it simly wearing the King's Rock? And what about that episode when when that Slowpoke wore the King's Rock, the Shelder bit the rock instead of the tail and the Slowpoke became a Slowking? I think the same will be for Paul's Elekid.

And my thoughts on Paul? He is like thar red-haired kid on G/S/C. Also, he does not seem to give his pokémon a chance. (However, I would have understood him giving Azumarril away after it lost to that Geodude. Water has a x4 advantage against Geodude, and Azumarril's losing destroyed Paul's hopes about it.)

Also, not to bash someone/make this a religion thread, but me being interested in the Christian, I was diappointed that this guy, who was named after a model character in the Bible, acted very rude and bad, unlike the Paul from the Bible. I know that Paul is just a name and religion/Christianity is not touched on this anime (or at least not anymore), but it still diappointed me.

Oh, and did you notice that he gave Azumarril away to that kid instead of releasing it? I think that since it was trained, he would wanted to find a different way to get rid of it. If you ask me, I hope that that kid who got that Azumarril re-appear again in the anime and surprise Paul with how tough his "useless" Azumarril got! That would make Paul angry...

Also, what is it with Ash refusing to make his pokémon battle like Paul's in that gym match? I think that he meant by actually reating his pokémon nice unlike Paul who threats his wrongly, but what is the difference? I only read the synopsis of the Paul vs... that Rock leader (I forgot his name.), and I did not see any much diffrence from Ash's battling style...

water master16
30th June 2007, 6:46 AM
personally i kind of like paul. his battle style may be different but he keeps ash striving to defeat him. most of his rivals and "rivals" don't put up a good a fight except gary and that one guy with thr blazekin (spelling) who fought ash's charizard. (sorry can't remember his name)
paul is cool and i can't wait to see him with an infernape!! :D
;392;

Drkecho
30th June 2007, 6:53 AM
Like I said in another post I think Paul acts like us when we play the game. When the Poke we catch has bad natures and IVs we just toss them aside much like how Paul gets rid of his Pokemon when they fail him

PaulFan1517
30th June 2007, 3:52 PM
What does everyone hear think paul will do in his upcoming battle against the sinnoh champion cynthia? Do you think he will release one of his pokemon after the battle?

Alot of people think so but I think that he will definately keep his chimchar(or monfermo) and elekid(or electabuzz). The only pokemon I feel that he would ever release is ursaring.

If you have noticed paul seems to actually like chimchar. After the roark battle where chimchar lost to one of the pokemon paul says to it I will deal with you later. I think that he will never release this pokemon because he has grown fond of it and wants it to fully evolve.

What does everyone think about this idea?

Celebitwo
30th June 2007, 4:02 PM
I doubt Paul will release Chimchar but if he does I bet Ash and co find it and Ash tries to have a go at Paul. Brock will probably get it if this happens, remember the poster released a few weeks before the first episode aired.
More likely Paul will keep it.

As for Ursaring, I think its already been ditched. I know it wasn't used in the battle against Roark but when Paul was collecting his Pokemon from the Pokemon Centre after the battle, there were only 2 Pokeballs. Unless he didn't have it healed because it hadn't battled its possible thats he has already released it.

Dattebayo
30th June 2007, 4:06 PM
Paul is such a big jerk. He mistreats his Pokemon, and he has the same attitude as Neji from Naruto except it's Pokemon.

PaulFan1517
30th June 2007, 4:34 PM
Paul is such a big jerk. He mistreats his Pokemon, and he has the same attitude as Neji from Naruto except it's Pokemon.

Well that is your opinion but lets be honest we all know that at some point in the sinnoh region(most likely at the tournament) they are going to change paul's personality since they are the most obvious writers and producers of a tv show. Then the rivalry will become boring.

By the way celibitwo can you tell me what you meant when you said that paul had two pokeballs when he went to the pokemon center what do you mean by that?

red2000
30th June 2007, 4:50 PM
Well like him or not I hope he finally pushes Ash to the limit so all his pokemon will get stronger, kinda like Brandon at the Battle Pyramid

PaulFan1517
30th June 2007, 4:55 PM
Well like him or not I hope he finally pushes Ash to the limit so all his pokemon will get stronger, kinda like Brandon at the Battle Pyramid

Even more than that let us all hope that paul pushes ash to actually catch more pokemon properly. I am sick and tired of ash just telling some pokemon to come join him without trying to catch them(I know that torkoal was the last one but still when was the last time we saw ash actually go out in a forest and try to catch a pokemon).

Kris Bambii
30th June 2007, 4:55 PM
I just don't like people with his kind of attitude, it's just annoying and ...grrrr. lol

Paul realy angers me and he abuses his pokemon and treats people just as wrongly. He is a refreshing character who adds something to the show, but he's still a bad egg in my opinion.

~*Kris*~

pkmnfreak75
30th June 2007, 4:58 PM
Paul has such a bad attitude, that jerk treats his pokemon so badly, what'ts his problem?
qqqqqqqqIqqqqqdontqqqqqqqwantqqqtoqqqqsayqqqqqqitq qqqitsqqqqswearingqqqqqqqqqq
thats his problem.

PaulFan1517
30th June 2007, 5:05 PM
Paul has such a bad attitude, that jerk treats his pokemon so badly, what'ts his problem?
qqqqqqqqIqqqqqdontqqqqqqqwantqqqtoqqqqsayqqqqqqitq qqqitsqqqqswearingqqqqqqqqqq
thats his problem.

I am suprised I thought that you guys would like characters like this that are in the pokemon show. It is the kind of spark that this show needed to get a good season paul hopefully might be able to make ash become more ambitious in his pokemon dreams.

HOw is he going to be a master of pokemon when he doesn't battle properly and kind catch properly.

dd1zzle
30th June 2007, 5:06 PM
Paul is a jerk. He can be nice and appreciateful sometimes, like when he got the Coal Badge from Roark, but he treats his pokemon like crap. I swear his Chimchar should throw some fire poo at it while Elekid breaking his bones with brick break and Ursaring (if he still has it) should squeeze the rest of him!

pokemaster001
30th June 2007, 11:18 PM
Paul is a jerk. He can be nice and appreciateful sometimes, like when he got the Coal Badge from Roark, but he treats his pokemon like crap. I swear his Chimchar should throw some fire poo at it while Elekid breaking his bones with brick break and Ursaring (if he still has it) should squeeze the rest of him!
hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!! lol the funny thing is that its true
paul+pokemon=bad
one thing that would show him the mistake of his ways is if paul catches 3 pokemon and enters a gym battle then 2 of them lose on the first pokemon and the 3rd one wins the whole thing for him then he releases the pokemon that lost and the other one refuses to battle
that would show paul

scizor08
1st July 2007, 2:53 AM
He's rude but he's pretty cool, and I think he will be like Gary at the end of Sinnoh...

Pearl's Perap
1st July 2007, 2:56 AM
Paul is an EXCELLENT character, my most definite favourite in the animé currently, I just love his attitude towards Ash, the totally opposite type of person and all that.

I want to see him with a Monferno soon, not so much an Infernape, though I know that wont come yet, he still has to obtain his Murkrow.

dd1zzle
1st July 2007, 2:58 PM
I think he should release Chimchar and Ash will befriend him

I also think that Paul should get in a gym battle, lose and then when Ash battles the leader the leader gets pwned and Paul would be ****** off

I really think Paul should get the sand out from his vagina

dd1zzle
1st July 2007, 2:58 PM
I think he should release Chimchar and Ash will befriend him

I also think that Paul should get in a gym battle, lose and then when Ash battles the leader the leader gets pwned and Paul would be ****** off

tyranitar.armaldo
1st July 2007, 3:35 PM
I hate him as much as the guy in the battle frontier (In the games) who says "pokemon whats that?". Paul is just plain spiteful, he is exactly like your rival in Johto (except with different colour hair) and I hated him. His "I am better than you" attitude is irritating as hell and yes he is a wanker.

Cassiel
1st July 2007, 3:50 PM
..."Evil"?

Don't think so.. He's not Giovanni, Archie, or Maxie =P

dd1zzle
1st July 2007, 4:09 PM
if Paul learn to love his pokemon then I think he wouldnt be such a dick

Metal Force
1st July 2007, 4:16 PM
I think he's a good trainer, yet selfsentered and only wants succes to itselfs, tho I can see it helping Ash in his journey.

dd1zzle
1st July 2007, 4:25 PM
Gary needs to talk to Paul

Xenthydos
1st July 2007, 4:42 PM
i really like paul. Not the name but i think his attitude fits how he looks.

CyberCubed
1st July 2007, 5:20 PM
Paul is the character that makes you wonder, why did it take them 10 seasons to finally create a character like this?

He should have been introduced much earlier.

PaulFan1517
1st July 2007, 7:06 PM
I agree with Cybercubed.

I am suprised so many of you guys don't like paul. Like I said before this is the kind of spark that a show like pokemon needs to get a little bit more popularity. I guarentee you guys that if paul was never introduced in this region this show's popularity would go down a lot.

flyboy1308
3rd July 2007, 5:02 AM
Paul just wants some love.

Crystal Clair
3rd July 2007, 5:33 AM
8D VAGINA?! lol
And I don't usually say lol

As for my thoughts, Paul>All
That's one of the few things I like about his dub name, the other one's a secret.

Diving deeper.... and trying to find more original stuff to say, Shinji's the PokeRevolution. You know how Cybercube's always saying May revived the show, well, not that I agree with that statement, but I think Shinji's doing the same thing..... in a way.

Listen, what's better, shoving Pokemon into an airtight, cold Pokeball and into a heartless computer/Prof Oak's big but limited lab or being set free into the world they know where they can resume their peaceful lives with their family.
Honestly, Shinji is simply thinking about the world he's training in and doesn't wanna waste the Pokemon, he's helping the world balance itself.

Geez, Harley was very similar to Shinji but he didn't have that many haters!
Seriously, WTF!

Phantom_Bugsy
3rd July 2007, 5:41 AM
Sorry if someone posted a topic like this already but I did search and didn't fine anything. Anyway people what are your thoughts on paul?

Do you think that he is a good enough character to help ash become a better trainer? or Do you think that he is a cruel jerk because he releases his pokemon?

I personally like him as a character and enjoy his battling style. In the episode yesterday at roark's gym he used great battling techniques unlike ash who just fought terrible. The only good thing I think that came out of ash's battle was that pikachu used a massive thunder attack when he saw paul leaving to defend his trainer. THe other good thing was that turtwig's speed improved.

I also believe paul is the kind of character that the writers and producers need to keep instead of adding a new rival every region(god I hope richie is gone for good that damm ash wannabee).

First of all, stop complaining about Richie. I'm sick of people complaining about him.

Second of all, 'Paul' is overrated. He'd be okay to me if people didn't go 'omg lol hes mean so that makes him cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!111' and 'omg ahs finaly has a god rievel!!!!11'

We get it already people. So we can shut up now kthnx :C

pokemaster001
3rd July 2007, 10:32 PM
he doesnt give his pokemon a second chance (or some of them a first chance)
imagine getting caught by a trainer as a pokemon and thinking *yay i get new pokemon friends and i get to get stronger and a grea- hey wait a minue he's releasing me????????*
or myabe
*yay i got caught!!!!!!!!!* then you train and lose eventually *well ill just do better on the re- hey hes releasing me waaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh waahhhhhh*
come on lets not forget that he has a complete disrespect for... ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I want to see a cool trainer that sees paul beat ash again and comes out using great strategy and beat paul because his pokemon arent worried about getting released and they trust their trainer
(also using type combos in a double battle like ;470; and ;136;)

YaoiLink
4th July 2007, 1:17 AM
i think hes cute, and hes one of those bad boys. but besides that. he is a good trainer.way better then ash no offense its just hes been a trainer for how long? and he thinks he can win battles by mear lovely dovey stuff, he should know better by now, i mean gosh ash is to naive. and maybe paul will show him how to effectivly battle and vise versa.

PaulFan1517
4th July 2007, 7:31 PM
ash no offense its just hes been a trainer for how long? and he thinks he can win battles by mear lovely dovey stuff, he should know better by now, i mean gosh ash is to naive. and maybe paul will show him how to effectivly battle and vise versa.

That is a really good point. Maybe at the end of the sinnoh region saga they will both help each other. Paul will help ash to become more ambitious and catch more pokemon while using better battle moves and ash might help paul treat his pokemon better and don't give up training just because one of your pokemon only knows 1 attack.

Then again this is pokemon producers we are talking about whenever it seems ash is becoming better at the end of the season they make him go to a new region and catch new pokemon and make the same mistakes over and over again.

Mandi.
4th July 2007, 7:33 PM
he doesnt give his pokemon a second chance (or some of them a first chance)

Aw. Thats so sad for those little drawings he abuses. D:

dd1zzle
4th July 2007, 7:35 PM
Paul is bad butt

Champion Jared 14
4th July 2007, 7:38 PM
Please. Everyone who hates Paul, listen. Don't think that you've never released a pokemon because it wasn't strong enough. We've all done it. The thing is, it doesn't seem like he shows his pokemon kindness, but he sure knows how to make his powerful.

dd1zzle
4th July 2007, 7:47 PM
Paul should go into a corner and cut him self...emo jerk

Princess Reina
4th July 2007, 8:00 PM
I know why some girls feel in love with him. He is a shy bad guy who doesnt speak much and isnt close with his pokemon. I had this same with Rockets, but I dont like Shinji. First I liked him because he wasnt as cute as Richie, Harrison, Morrison and rest of Ash`s rivals. I dont know how he treats his pokemon because we dont see him often. He traded his useless Azumarill and checks stats of pokemon, but we dont know how nice he is to them. Probably he wouldnt leave his pokemon alone on the cliff (like Damien did) and if pokemon was sick but strong he would care about it. Shinji isnt bad trainer but he must learn about love and care.

Why I dont like him now? The reason is easy: Im tired of his fan girls -__- they act like all horny fan boys who were in love with May`s breasts.

Cenzo
4th July 2007, 8:02 PM
^Yeah, May fanboys are the worst. Frankly, I like him, but only as a jerky rival. Ash finally has a real rival. Hasn't had one since Gary.

Mandi.
4th July 2007, 8:08 PM
Crazy fanboys/girls suck. D: The girls are just as bad as the boys (in different ways), so don't start anything.

Shinji is my favorite Satoshi rival. But I did like Shigeru. But he was just a little arrogant snob, unlike Shinji who is tough, mean, a loner. <3 Plus, I love how he insults Satoshi, making him ****** off. Saying how he's pathetic and the way he treats Pokemon is bad. Yush, Shinji is great.

Cenzo
4th July 2007, 8:10 PM
^How long before he really ticks Ash off or until he hits Ash?

Champion Jared 14
4th July 2007, 8:13 PM
why should he do that? Because he's not like Ash? Plz, not every trainer in the Anime is to be like Ash!! At least Paul catches pokemon and gathers pokedex-filling information about them before release unlike a certain so-called master in training. A bit immature calling him an emo jerk as well...

Cenzo
4th July 2007, 8:21 PM
^Who called him an emo-jerk? I was just saying he'll wither knock Ash on his butt or make Ash so angry he'll try to hit Paul and, most likely, trip.

PamperedPersian1
4th July 2007, 8:25 PM
I actually admire Paul, more like a... role model for me! But.... Paul????
What kind of name is that??? Shinji was much cooler, they could have at least had a name like, uh...... well, when I think of it, I'll get back to you guys, until then, Happy Indepence Day!

Joe.
4th July 2007, 8:27 PM
His team is going to own, and when this season is nearing to a close and he and Ash enter the tournament or w/e they will have, I hope Paul beats Ash.

The first REAL rival Ash has had since Gary. (For the record Gary was awesome.)

Mandi.
4th July 2007, 8:46 PM
Oh, believe me. I would love to see Shinji smack Satoshi. xDD That would make me love him even more.

CyberCubed
4th July 2007, 9:29 PM
Why would anyone call Paul, shy?

Being a loner is not the same thing as being shy. He doesn't give a damn about talking to people, its not that he's shy.

There are several filler characters we've seen that are shy, and the closest main character we've had to that is probably May, even though she was also outgoing and made friends easily.

YaoiLink
4th July 2007, 9:46 PM
Im tired of his fan girls -__- they act like all horny fan boys who were in love with May`s breasts.

lol yah i get that feeling too

PaulFan1517
4th July 2007, 9:59 PM
YaoiLink that picture you showed just reminded me of something that is completely off topic. This is another thing that the producers seemed to have forgotton to put into the anime:

The supposed romance between misty and ash why didnt they just let those two talk about it more. Pokemon seriously needs better story lines that are continous. Not just the same crappy episode fillers every week.

Anyway back to paul does anyone here think that gary may give paul a lesson on treating his pokemon properly and not to be a wimp just because a pokemon doesn't know that many attacks. Might gary tell paul not to give up easily. The reason I say this is after battling ash gary returned to sinnoh so most likely they will definately meet.

I know I said many times I like paul I just don't like the way he treats his pokemon. I just would like him and gary to battle.

YaoiLink
4th July 2007, 10:36 PM
The supposed romance between misty and ash why didnt they just let those two talk about it more. Pokemon seriously needs better story lines that are continous. Not just the same crappy episode fillers every week.

yah i wanted to see if misty did have feeling for ash. they never said xD but maybe in the future she will say

but yah the battle between gary and paul. would be an intresting match. both are alike yet diffrent =3 i would love to see that battle

PaulFan1517
4th July 2007, 10:51 PM
yah i wanted to see if misty did have feeling for ash. they never said xD but maybe in the future she will say

They didn't exactly say it but they hinted at it heavily. For example I will never forget in an episode in the johto league(the only episode I would want to remember because of that trainwreck season) misty said to ash that "we are going to be married someday too".

First of all I loved how they made misty say this because it doesn't directly mean she and ash will marry each other it can also mean they will marry different people.

That was a smart thing the producers did(one of the only)

ShadowDragon16
4th July 2007, 10:53 PM
POKESLAVEDRIVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul is a very aggagent trainer who treats his pokemon like crude, chimchar needs to leave Pauls sorry *** and join Ash.

Krug
4th July 2007, 10:58 PM
Paul is an animated version of competitive battlers. Really, if you find a pokemon with complete crap IVs are you gonna say "Yes! Another addition to my team!" or "What the? This thing sucks!" I choose number 2, most casuals wil chose number 1 (provied it's one of their favorites). Paul and Ash are like this too. Ash caught one starly because, he liked it and he's a casual tairer he doesn't care about stats. Paul is competitive, he went through 3 starlys before he found one with a good move (reminds me of how I released 16 charvana just to find a deepsea tooth). So paul is competitive ash is casual, so yeah. So to all trainers who hate paul, think about all the pokemon you have rotting in your PC, to that pokemon you have the same relationship as him to his pokemon. As for me I don't care, I'm already like Paul anyway.

pokemaster001
5th July 2007, 6:58 PM
Please. Everyone who hates Paul, listen. Don't think that you've never released a pokemon because it wasn't strong enough. We've all done it. The thing is, it doesn't seem like he shows his pokemon kindness, but he sure knows how to make his powerful.
i wouldnt release a pokemon if it couldnt even do struggle!!!!!
you dint get the fact that releasing pokemon is wrong in the show or in the game!!!!

mandikitty i dont know how to quote you so ill just say this
are you making fun of me for caring about drawings???

Blaziryu
5th July 2007, 9:45 PM
Shinji (I refuse to call him Paul) is the second coolest trainer shown so far (Gary being the 1st). If he were to punch Ash in the face, along with calling names, he would be the perfect rival.

YaoiLink
6th July 2007, 12:05 AM
i think releasing a pokemon is fine. people think that its a moral thing not to release it, but is it really? i mean what are you going to do with that pkm when goes strait into your pc? you leave it there? i personally think that, thats much worse then releasing it, just leaving it there with no purpose and keeping it because you feel pitty on that pkm. at lease if you release it it could probably be better off then just sitting in your box. i agree when you release a pkm it is kind of sadding, but its for the better cause. personally i dont just catch something and leave it there, every pkm i have in my box has a purpose either for breeding or tradeing purposes (mostly breeding). but above all i do care about my pokemon deeply, the ones i have and the ones i let go. thats why you have to know when to release a pkm for its own good. not just for the satisfactory that you didnt abandon it, but if you only see that releasing a pkm and think thats a crime. it only proves your ignorence. its a trainers choice.

Champion Jared 14
6th July 2007, 6:10 AM
Please, Paul is just the anime version of competive real-life battlers. Paul checks pokemon stats with his pokedex, and seems to capture pokemon very frequently. Most people in real life release pokemon. We breed for desired natures and IV's to get the best EV's as well. If we get a pokemon with a sucky nature and IV's, most people don't accept it and say, I'll take it. Peopel want what they want. After all, without competive battling mentality like that, nobody would succeed at the BF or in emerald and link battles and stuff like that.

Dark SpOOn Bender
6th July 2007, 6:52 AM
Paul imo is actually the first truly arrogant trainer in the anime, which makes him quite interesting. He does seem to portray the competitive battlers of the pokemon games, releasing pokemon to get the ones with the best moves, natures, and IV's. Maybe this is just the writer's way to "mock" the choices of gamers despite the fact that they tend to be excellent trainers. Either way, I think he is a good character. He is a great motivator for Ash. I just hope that his character doesn't dissolve completely in a future episode where he realizes "I was wrong about being such a meanie to my pokemon, you were right Ash, as always". Let him stay nasty forever ;)

Iron Thorn
6th July 2007, 12:18 PM
I'm sure he's a stab at us competitive battlers. He IS a refreshing addition to the show, but his attitude makes me wanna kick him in the balls.

At least he's pretty though :B

Korobooshi Kojiro
6th July 2007, 1:46 PM
POKESLAVEDRIVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But...doesn't he...let Pokemon go?

Leon Phelps
6th July 2007, 1:55 PM
Paul is bad butt

Paul should go into a corner and cut him self...emo jerk

"Bad butt"? "Emo jerk"? How about lame?

Yeah, I think Paul's dub name sucks. That Hikari girl too. WTF kind of name is Dawn? They just don't suit the character.

Champion Jared 14
7th July 2007, 1:12 AM
People are just childish. Dawn and Paul are okay names, not too crazy about them. Hikari could have been called heather, haley, or Holly. Shinji could have been Shawn, Samuel, or something.

Korobooshi Kojiro
7th July 2007, 2:10 AM
Especially as Shinji means "trust"....:P

xXBloodstainedLieXx
7th July 2007, 3:35 AM
I would just tell him to START TRAINING HIS POKEMON!

Xashlei
7th July 2007, 3:39 AM
He needs to be less selfish, but it gives a fresh start in arrogant rivals. ^^

Momogirl
7th July 2007, 4:20 AM
paul...

yea I hate the guy. hes a GREAT rival. but I hate his guts and can't wait to see ash beat him in a battle some day |D

Shiny pokemon lover
7th July 2007, 11:58 AM
I lol'd.

Paul's just one of those misunderstood trainers that think that pokemon are simply tools of war.
(I think he might be the anime version of your rival in G/S/C.)

You are right! Byt mabye he wants very strong pokemon for something like beat down Team Galatic or mabye he is a member of them?

Yuki Yagami
7th July 2007, 3:22 PM
Paul has been my favorite rival since Gary gave up on being a Pokemon Master to follow Professor Oak's path. *******s in anime have always been my favorite and Paul falls in the ******* category.

Shinin
7th July 2007, 3:40 PM
He's quite a character.

PaulFan1517
7th July 2007, 5:45 PM
paul...

yea I hate the guy. hes a GREAT rival. but I hate his guts and can't wait to see ash beat him in a battle some day |D

Lets hope it is in an upcoming battle that ash defeats paul and that these idiotic pokemon writers don't wait till the sinnoh league for ash to defeat him. Knowing them I wouldn't be suprised if that did happen.

Snorlax Max
8th July 2007, 3:05 AM
paul is a heartless jerk. I'm really surprised that his pokemon didnt turn on him yet.

Dax
8th July 2007, 3:22 AM
Paul is awesome. He's a fresh new addition to the series. He's been having the treatment that Gary should have got instead of just appearing practically 4 times in a year. He's the character that I love to hate plus Chimchar and Elekid simply just rock!

Gymleader Justin
9th July 2007, 4:28 PM
I REALLY HATE PAUL!!!! I LOATHE HIM! He is so many things I shouldn't say because it wouldn't be proper. But that jerk really makes me sick to my stomache. Who does he think he is. He obviously doesn't know who Ash Ketchum is and yet he thinks of him as a pathetic kid (he has even said that too). Kanto League, Orange Island League Champion, Whirl Island Participant, Johto League, Hoenn League, and Battle Frontier Champion I mean come on. Meanwhile, this little runt has never stepped anywhere out of Sinnoh. Even Serebii.net knows he's a new 10 year old trainer and he shouldn't be running his mouth off.

mario_fan
10th July 2007, 12:48 PM
i think the reason he battles like that is so he has an infernape with frustration also he might be related to cyrus he kinda look like cyus

blaziken100
11th July 2007, 4:58 AM
hes evilevilevilevilevilevilevilevilevilevilevilvevile vilevilevilevilevilevilevilevilevilevilevilevilevi levilevilevilevilevilevilevievilevilevilevilevilev il aahhh evil*wimpers*momy make thu bad thing go uway il be good*sob wimper wimper sob*......*cleers throte*ok were wuz i...oh yea.pokemon hatr...dats all i got 4 now.im gunu umumumumumumumumuumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumu mumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumu mumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumu mumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumu mumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumu mumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumu mumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumuum umumuumumummumumummumumummumumummummummumummumuuum uumummummummumummummummummumummummumumumumumumumum uumumumumumumumuummuumumumumumuumumumumuum........ .................................................. ..........play my ds*openz door;softly clozez door*

PaulFan1517
11th July 2007, 10:59 PM
Hey everyone in visiting this thread speaking of paul you should all see what someone wrote about him under his name in wikipedia.

IT is so Funny

hes evilevilevilevilevilevilevilevilevilevilevilvevile vilevilevilevilevilevilevilevilevilevilevilevilevi levilevilevilevilevilevilevievilevilevilevilevilev il aahhh evil*wimpers*momy make thu bad thing go uway il be good*sob wimper wimper sob*......*cleers throte*ok were wuz i...oh yea.pokemon hatr...dats all i got 4 now.im gunu umumumumumumumumuumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumu mumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumu mumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumu mumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumu mumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumu mumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumu mumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumumuum umumuumumummumumummumumummumumummummummumummumuuum uumummummummumummummummummumummummumumumumumumumum uumumumumumumumuummuumumumumumuumumumumuum........ .................................................. ..........play my ds*openz door;softly clozez door*

Was someone supposed to think this was funny or agree with your comment.

PaulFan1517
11th July 2007, 11:01 PM
Paul, known in Japan as Shinji (???, Shinji?) is a human character from the multi-billion-dollar[1] Pokémon media franchise – a collection of video games, anime, manga, books, trading cards and other media, created by Satoshi Tajiri.

Paul is a roaming Pokémon trainer travelling through the region of Sinnoh, who quickly develops a rivalry with Ash.[2] He captures Pokémon without the intention of properly raising them. Unlike most trainers, Paul indeed has no such heart for Pokémon; he catches (and only cares about catching) strong wild Pokémon just to crush other trainers with them. He even tries to make his Pokémon act cold, notably stopping his Chimchar from doing a victory dance, after beating Ash's Turtwig. He is also known to release Pokémon that he believes to be utterly useless and weak.[3] His appearance and anti-hero mindset is similar to that of the character known as Silver from Pokémon Gold, Silver and Crystal, who is rival to the main protagonist. He successfully defeated Roark, the Oreburgh City Gym Leader, before Ash. In an upcoming episode he gets his dick sucked by The sinnoh champion Cynthia and this causes a change in him. He is convinced that pokemon should not be treated unfairly. He realized that when she swallowed his ***. .[4]

This is really what I found on wikipedia

Meta_Ridley
11th July 2007, 11:10 PM
Paul is tight! :) i'm gettin tired of electric types:P

pi...ka...pi...ka...pika..pika...pikapikapikapikaP IKACHUUUUU!!!!!!
(wakes up in bed screaming)

Commando Amando
11th July 2007, 11:13 PM
Him alone makes up for the fact the rest of the season has been boring and uneventful. the BUTZOMGHEZSOOOOMEEEN is why I think he's awesome. He's a breath of fresh air for a show filled with sappy friendship and morals and all that sissy crap. About time we got a true badass. Sucks that he'll probably lose that soon though. Oh yeah and I'm really sick of people complaining about his name as well as Dawn's. Shinji and Hikari aren't god wonderful names themselves I swear they're some of the most bland and generic Japanese anime names you can find so no need complaining about lame English names.

PaulFan1517
11th July 2007, 11:16 PM
Him alone makes up for the fact the rest of the season has been boring and uneventful.

That is exactly what I was saying. If he wasn't there this season would be crappy. Ash keeps losing, Jessie still hasn't caught a pokemon and team rocket's new motto is even dumber than the last.

Wiimote
11th July 2007, 11:18 PM
He and Ash remind me of Wario and Mario, only there are no mind-controlling buckets or a wierd fairy named Wanda that helps Toad in a puzzle forest.

Meta_Ridley
11th July 2007, 11:23 PM
He and Ash remind me of Wario and Mario, only there are no mind-controlling buckets or a wierd fairy named Wanda that helps Toad in a puzzle forest.

What shows are you watching?

PaulFan1517
11th July 2007, 11:23 PM
This is completely unrelated to my topic but unless this season isn't as good as the battle frontier or majority of hoenn then the pokemon tv show should just call it quits.

The writers and producers have no idea how to completely satisty people who watch the show. The creater of pokemon has been MIA ever since the show was created. The only ideas he probably comes up with is the names of the new regions and the new pokemon.

Everything else in the crappy episode fillers are because of the writers of pokemon. It is the only japanese created anime I can think of that has a completely different episode almost everyday. They rarely have continuation episodes.

Meta_Ridley
11th July 2007, 11:27 PM
rainbow
Der, pretty rainbow l:B

Wiimote
11th July 2007, 11:28 PM
Sorry, my mind is a mess today.

But anyway, bottom line: Paul is snobby since he wants to get Ash out of his way, and I can't stand snobs.

Meta_Ridley
11th July 2007, 11:28 PM
They should just cancel it at the end of the season. Dont they make enough money off the video games?

PaulFan1517
31st August 2007, 8:35 PM
Well everyone else what are your thoughts on paul in the anime and do you think ash will defeat him in the sinnoh region tournament.

Alkaide
1st September 2007, 3:09 AM
I like Paul. Okay, so he releases Pokémon back into the wild, and only catches ones with the best stats ect. The majority of SPPFians DO do that, so I don't see any reason for them not to like him. Well, I don't do that, I just catch the first one I see, but I still like Paul, I don't know why. I also think he should stay and be the recurring rival, since they took out Gary.

Corzola
1st September 2007, 3:33 AM
For me it looks like the creators have thought long and hard to make up a long time rival to Ash who rivals Gary in popularity and strength - and only half succeded. He is no doubt an interesing character with a personality compleatly opposite to Ash which ensure a future rivality between them (seeing that Paul was at least semi- impressed of Ash during the gym battle against Rorok).

However I can´t really get him into my mind as a long term rival like Gary was during s1 - 5. They share no history and Ash could just block him from heart and mind and not care about him - he woulden´t lose anything, and has on the other way nothing to win if he continues to get angry at Paul. Like does Ash "needs" Pauls recognizion? No. Does he needs to teach Paul his own way of thinking. No.

Conclusion, Paul is in some ways an interesting character but the plot has not any room for him in a longer perspektive, such as Gary had for 5 whole seasons.

Alkaide
1st September 2007, 3:44 AM
For me it looks like the creators have thought long and hard to make up a long time rival to Ash who rivals Gary in popularity and strength - and only half succeded. He is no doubt an interesing character with a personality compleatly opposite to Ash which ensure a future rivality between them (seeing that Paul was at least semi- impressed of Ash during the gym battle against Rorok).

However I can´t really get him into my mind as a long term rival like Gary was during s1 - 5. They share no history and Ash could just block him from heart and mind and not care about him - he woulden´t lose anything, and has on the other way nothing to win if he continues to get angry at Paul. Like does Ash "needs" Pauls recognizion? No. Does he needs to teach Paul his own way of thinking. No.

Conclusion, Paul is in some ways an interesting character but the plot has not any room for him in a longer perspective, such as Gary had for 5 whole seasons.

That's not really true. They could make up some mushy crap and eventually Ash will teach Paul to learn to love all Pokémon yada yada yada. And plus, Ash getting mad at Paul = Hillarity!

Corzola
1st September 2007, 3:55 AM
Well yes they could - if they wanted it could all end in a soap opera kind of way :) - but I don´t think they will end it in a mushy way. And besides, I just don´t have the same feeling when it comes to care about Paul as a rival to Ash as I felt about Gary.

zeno48
1st September 2007, 4:06 AM
Paul is perfect and I hope he dosen't change. I love his mean attitude and I hope we see more of him.

CyberCubed
1st September 2007, 4:10 AM
Paul is a lot more interesting than Gary IMO.

I hope Paul gets some more decent screentime.

PaulFan1517
1st September 2007, 4:11 AM
Paul is perfect and I hope he dosen't change. I love his mean attitude and I hope we see more of him.

I thought the same thing about harrison...*sighs* but what happened to him. The writers of pokemon have a really bad habit of chucking a secondary character every damm season and it gets me really p-i-s-s-e-d.

What the heck do they plan to do when pokemon is over the 80 years from now?

zeno48
1st September 2007, 4:14 AM
I thought the same thing about harrison...*sighs* but what happened to him. The writers of pokemon have a really bad habit of chucking a secondary character every damm season and it gets me really p-i-s-s-e-d.

What the heck do they plan to do when pokemon is over the 80 years from now?

Will pokemon last that long?
Anyways, You are right but so far Paul still has me watching Pokemon and the writers still keep his character perfect. I don't think the writers will screw him up this early unless they want to angry a lot of fans but don't worry I have faith in the writers. Now if they decide to change Paul's personality like Ritchie I will shoot the writers and hate them forever.

PaulFan1517
1st September 2007, 4:25 AM
Anyways, You are right but so far Paul still has me watching Pokemon and the writers still keep his character perfect. I don't think the writers will screw him up this early unless they want to angry a lot of fans but don't worry I have faith in the writers. Now if they decide to change Paul's personality like Ritchie I will shoot the writers and hate them forever.

I was just joking about the 80 years part. I doubt it will be like scooby doo. I just want the writers for once to keep a secondary character in the show. Why do they always chuck certain characters away? It is so annoying.

PaulFan1517
1st September 2007, 4:31 AM

I was just joking about the 80 years part. I doubt it will be like scooby doo. I just want the writers for once to keep a secondary character in the show. Why do they always chuck certain characters away? It is so annoying.

PaulFan1517
1st September 2007, 4:31 AM

Aldrius
1st September 2007, 5:31 AM
Gary was in more than 4 episodes in seasons 1-5?

News to me. :P

Paul is a really neat character. Like Hunter J he's an actual THREAT something that provides interesting conflict and isn't the same old tired thing every time he appears.

I hope we see more of him soon as his absence has been sorely felt.

Gold10
1st September 2007, 6:22 AM
Paul is the best thing that happened to Pokemon since Lucario got its own movie

netobeto
1st September 2007, 6:27 AM
i still think that gary is better and has stronger pokemon

pokey
1st September 2007, 6:38 AM
Watching Paul makes me miss the old Gary. I'd like to see a match between them but I don't hate him. I'll admit he is an insteresting character because there's not really anyone in the anime like him. To me it seems like everyone in the show has the same personality and then he comes and he's like the total opposite of them

Poke'T<3
1st September 2007, 3:32 PM
Omg i hate paul and i hate richie RICHIE IS THE ASH WANNABE! i think sparky is cuter and his voice is too but i think ash's pikachu is more fun to watch because he has more personality and he cares more like sparky didnt even try when he lost all we saw was one thundershock then he sorta quit and i hope gary comes and watches ash just totally CRUSH paul in the leage and i hope he finally wins it. If he gets a riolu there is NO WAY he can loose

penngrade6
1st September 2007, 7:11 PM
Also, not to bash someone/make this a religion thread, but me being interested in the Christian, I was diappointed that this guy, who was named after a model character in the Bible, acted very rude and bad, unlike the Paul from the Bible. I know that Paul is just a name and religion/Christianity is not touched on this anime (or at least not anymore), but it still diappointed me.

Well at first 'Bible Paul' was a bad person who watched Diciples get stoned and did not do anything about it. But then he was taught the errors of his ways and became an a Apostle. Maybe Paul will be the same

I think Paul is Ash's best rival. He's ruthless and that's what I love about rivals/enemies.

Leona
2nd September 2007, 11:01 AM
I dont like him, he's creepy.

netobeto
2nd September 2007, 11:17 AM
I dont like him, he's creepy.

why creepy?

*Jean Grey*
2nd September 2007, 11:35 AM
I don't like his 'tude, but he's quite cute.

Kazuki Mirai
2nd September 2007, 12:46 PM
Cruel and much of an ***... BUT I see one thing. A biggest potential in character development than any other characters won't have.

Korobooshi Kojiro
2nd September 2007, 5:39 PM
Well at first 'Bible Paul' was a bad person who watched Diciples get stoned and did not do anything about it. But then he was taught the errors of his ways and became an a Apostle. Maybe Paul will be the same

Was a Spoiler tag for the Bible REALLY needed? :P

Also, when Paul was bad his name was Saul. Shinji -> Paul

Religious reference, OMG! And the scenario in the bible seems likely for Paul to become nicer (hopefully not too nice, but like Kaiba nice)

Mr. Mad
2nd September 2007, 6:10 PM
I personely like paul because it gives someone to comete against that isn't a complete fool (Richie).

Poke'T<3
3rd September 2007, 3:36 AM
NO NO NO Richie is the ash wannabe ash's pikachu has so much more personality i give sparky the cuteness factor and his voice is better but pikachu is more entertaining he is stronger and more fun i hate paul i think they should have it where ash creams him in the league and pikachu and elekid should be the last pokemon to battle and ash should win because paul is ash's age and he pisses me off

Crystal Clair
3rd September 2007, 5:34 AM
Paul is a dub name
The dub isn't cannon
Shinji has no reference to Paul
therefore, I think that point you made doesn't apply

I hope we see more of him soon as his absence has been sorely felt.
Dont worry. I'm sure we'll see him in an awesome episode. Hopefully he'll have Murkrow by then.

mr mime jr.
9th September 2007, 6:29 AM
For some reason i have a feeling that paul will give ash a run for his money, in the end i hope paul stays bold and serious but have a better attitude twordes pokemon and battling

also i have a felling gary and paul have met who knows maybe elekid is an egg from gary's electrivire

Drkecho
9th September 2007, 8:15 AM
also i have a felling gary and paul have met who knows maybe elekid is an egg from gary's electrivireI like that you used creativity but thats never going to happen

Geostomp
9th September 2007, 2:08 PM
Paul's the best rival Ash has ever had ever since Gary. He's never shown losing, and that includes to Ash and co.

His attitude fits him well, along with his look. Though, I found it quite humourous that his Chimchar is upbeat, unlike his master.

That's what I said. After learning he's gone through all the major leagues, I feel that he's finally a rival that can motivate Ash again.

His last "rivals" were always basically the same as him in training and methods. That's okay once in a while, but he didn't push himself to surpass them. They just beat him in the Leagues and were never thought of again. Even worse, Ash got constant praise for what he did in official competitions, he basically got complacent.

Now that Ash has got Paul to think about from the beginning, he'll finally get more character development and skill as a trainer.

Pikachu's Biggest Fan
9th September 2007, 3:14 PM
I only have 2 resons for likeing Paul,
1: his battle style
2: his pokemon
Otherwise I think he's just plain creepy and a jerk.

Corzola
9th September 2007, 11:10 PM
I am not sure that Paul can motivate Ash in the same ways Gary did. Maybe if the two of them (Ash and Paul) meet each other on regulare basis and gets in constant arguing at every gym. Then they will build up some sort of rivality, however I can´t see them meet by chance constantley and he [Paul] will be reduced to a person Ash gets frustrated with/at when they meet but not while traveling.

That in contrast to Gary who in some ways got on Ash nerve even when he was not around. Pointing out how far behind Ash (writing at signs, tell Prof. Oak who later informed Ash...) was and so on. And that was the thing that motivated Ash (at least in some ways), trying to catch up with Gary. Paul don´t do things like that.

uber gon
10th September 2007, 10:20 PM

I think Paul is Ash's best rival. He's ruthless and that's what I love about rivals/enemies.

If Paul goes that way, it'll be a little repetitive.

henri_chung
11th September 2007, 11:13 PM
okay tou know what i think PAUL IS A MORON! first the strongest pokemon he'll ever get (even if he captures arceus and traines it) he will get anialated bye people with 100's (like some of us) AND in my opinion he has the stupidest name "I must defeat paul' Pual is going to beat me" i dare you to say that to yourself and effiscise paul

pikablue
15th September 2007, 12:14 PM
he's a jerk who doesnt know how to train his pokemon, nuff said. if someones gonna compare him to EV trainers and IV breeders and all that crap, theres a difference, we dont hurt and release LIVE ANIMALS the things we throw away are just strips of data.

~-Overheat-~
15th September 2007, 12:42 PM
he's a jerk who doesnt know how to train his pokemon, nuff said. if someones gonna compare him to EV trainers and IV breeders and all that crap, theres a difference, we dont hurt and release LIVE ANIMALS the things we throw away are just strips of data.

DONT you Dare say that!!! Paul's an awesome trainer...

And those 'LIVE ANIMALS' are also pieces of data;)

~Sirnight~
15th September 2007, 1:22 PM
Yo, Paul haters, you're relizing that in your non-punctuated blthering about him releasing his Pokemon and being cruel to them, Ash is doing the same if not worse? In many cases, Ash has caught a Pokemon for the purpose of defeating a single gym leader, then stores/gives it away, promising to use/see it again, but never does. Wouldn't the Pokemon rather be free than rot at Oaks? In that case, Paul is a savior.

And then everyone says he's treating them too harshly, tel me this, what is a Pokemon's main purpose in life? They want to become stronger through battling and evolve. Paul is only working his Pokemon to the limit so that they can attain this, and how do we know that Chimchar, for instance, didn't enjoy his intense battle against Roark?

Really, Paul is just what the show needed, a character like a real competitive battler, he does even provide constructive criticism to others, if Ash wasn' too arrogant, he might even benefit from seeing Paul's battle's.

"Likez, Paul! Take t3h Chimchr outa there!!"

As if sicking out your Pickachu on a on Onix isn't cruel, or the aformentioned storing.giving away deal. Paul is just what the anime needed, and I hope he keeps his ways.

~-Overheat-~
15th September 2007, 4:11 PM
Yo, Paul haters, you're relizing that in your non-punctuated blthering about him releasing his Pokemon and being cruel to them, Ash is doing the same if not worse? In many cases, Ash has caught a Pokemon for the purpose of defeating a single gym leader, then stores/gives it away, promising to use/see it again, but never does. Wouldn't the Pokemon rather be free than rot at Oaks? In that case, Paul is a savior.

And then everyone says he's treating them too harshly, tel me this, what is a Pokemon's main purpose in life? They want to become stronger through battling and evolve. Paul is only working his Pokemon to the limit so that they can attain this, and how do we know that Chimchar, for instance, didn't enjoy his intense battle against Roark?

Really, Paul is just what the show needed, a character like a real competitive battler, he does even provide constructive criticism to others, if Ash wasn' too arrogant, he might even benefit from seeing Paul's battle's.

As if sicking out your Pickachu on a on Onix isn't cruel, or the aformentioned storing.giving away deal. Paul is just what the anime needed, and I hope he keeps his ways.

I would have quoted this if it wasnt so big.....its so true its sad people dont realise it and keeps blabbing that the characters use weak pokemon and stuff, Paul does the exact thing we do...if we get the wrong nature, we release it...if its not fit to be in the team, we dont use it.....

HES THE RIVAL OF ASH HES SUPPOSED TO BE THE OPPOSITE OF ASH!!!!!!!
^^^my genious 5 year old brother typed that ;)

Rex Kamex
15th September 2007, 5:15 PM
okay tou know what i think PAUL IS A MORON! first the strongest pokemon he'll ever get (even if he captures arceus and traines it) he will get anialated bye people with 100's (like some of us) AND in my opinion he has the stupidest name "I must defeat paul' Pual is going to beat me" i dare you to say that to yourself and effiscise paul

Paul is his dub name. His original was Shinji. Can you really hold his name against him?

martianman40
16th September 2007, 5:22 AM
I think that Paul is in the anime to prove that there will always be people will always be mean to their pokemon and that pokemon is about fun, not being the best.

the total best!
16th September 2007, 11:31 PM
The first thing that came to mind was that he was the rival in the second generation of games, with purple hair hehe.

I kinda like him and don't. i like him for the battle stratigies, but hate it when he says something bad or mean to ash, like your battle stratigie is pathetic, I think he said that.

Shuricel
17th September 2007, 12:01 AM
Hmm, I like him, cause he's the kinda person I imagine having an awesome history. Nobody just disrespects pokemon like that for no reason, though the anime will most likely still portray him the same way. I'm even thinking of writing a fic about what his past may have been like. ^.^

Corzola
17th September 2007, 12:38 AM
The strange thing (for me at least) is that he is on the good side. We usually have the good characters who are nice to Pokemon and so on, and the bad characters such as TR (and other teams) who treats Pokemon with very little respect.

Paul on the other hand is on the good side but still treats his Pokemon badly (Jesse and James treat their own Pokemons with more respect than Paul does with his). Maybe he is in the show for not only being Ash rival but to show that people can be between good and bad?

He is the cynical character all out, he cares for victory above everything else and wants to reach this goal BUT not go over the legal line (stealing Pokemon in some way or attack random people to train his Pokemons strength). I can´t see him join TR for achiveing his goals or become a Pokemon hunter like J.

I don´t like him but he is interesting.

Rex Kamex
17th September 2007, 2:56 AM
Watching Paul makes me miss the old Gary.

Wait... why, again?

The Pokemon in the show are just things that get their form by pencils, paint, and computers (or whatever is used to make them), move with the help of different computers and frames, talk only with the help of voice actors, and only have personalities because they are given to them by the writers.

Basically, I don't see how Paul's throwing away Pokemon is anymore wrong than throwing away the strips of data in the games (which I don't find "wrong", but unnecessary).

dawnluver4
17th September 2007, 11:25 PM
He'll beat cynthia and lose to ash (Ursaring, Honchkrow, Weavile, Infernape (tho it probably wont evolve :| typical pokeanime), Elekid and Torterra Will be his team. I like him he's the only one besides leaders and E4 people who can beat ash! And i bet he'll try to catch a Gabite after he got pwned by cynthia's

Virtual Chatot
17th September 2007, 11:29 PM
I think he's just a Silver Clone...

Doesn't care for Pokemon, Wants to be the best...

Knight_Ram
17th September 2007, 11:30 PM
He'll beat cynthia and lose to ash (Ursaring, Honchkrow, Weavile, Infernape (tho it probably wont evolve :| typical pokeanime), Elekid and Torterra Will be his team. I like him he's the only one besides leaders and E4 people who can beat ash! And i bet he'll try to catch a Gabite after he got pwned by cynthia's

He wont ever beat Cynthia. We can never tell whether Ash will win or lose to him... Its so unpredictable between them.

dawnluver4
17th September 2007, 11:34 PM
just watch, it'll be weavile or infernape VS garchomp and weavile will make the face in my sig, jump up and use ice punch

Poke'T<3
17th September 2007, 11:43 PM

That was alot to quote i do agree about ash promising to come back but not is really uncool but i COMPLETELY DISAGREE about the pokemon want to evolve it clearly showed that not all of them wish to do so like examples pikachu in electric shock showdown and bulbasaur in bulbasaurs mysterious garden they want to show how good they are being themselves and pikachu wanted to prove himself by beating onix and he did it for ash after all ash has freaking put himself in front of death to save his pokemon paul is good for ash and he will oviously change like that dude in silver and i hope ash just completely crushs him

henri_chung
17th September 2007, 11:49 PM
Paul is his dub name. His original was Shinji. Can you really hold his name against him?
so??? they dubbed his name paul. i like the japenese name but not the english

myochan
18th September 2007, 5:30 AM

I like Paul quite a bit, although I wish they'd kept him as Shinji. I think he's cute, and find his jerkiness interesting.

It's pretty inevitable that he'll probably mellow out as time goes on, but I hope he doesn't turn all goody-goody like Ash and co.

phyzexxx
19th September 2007, 6:59 AM
I like him, but I think that, he would be a better trainer if he respects his pokemon. He would be really strong

Sird
19th September 2007, 11:36 AM
Boastful, cunning, curel, without love, but too stupid to realise he can win with powerful Pokemon and still lose anyway.

GentleArtillery
19th September 2007, 11:40 AM
He's a great character in everything except design. He would be much better as a hero; I'm sick of all the "train and battle your Pokémon with love and care"-nonsense, and it's great that there's a character that's the rightout opposite of that now. He really should beat Ash all the time. Though everyone should do that.

Rex Kamex
21st September 2007, 6:17 PM
so??? they dubbed his name paul. i like the japenese name but not the english

It sounded like one of the main reasons you didn't like him was because of his dub name.

Amaranth
21st September 2007, 11:34 PM
I Like Paul, Hes Something The Show's Needed For Ages Now.

Raccario
23rd September 2007, 12:39 PM
i dont like Paul, he is annoying and mean

Anaya
24th September 2007, 4:56 AM
My thoughts on him? I think he needs to be slapped around a little bit. ;).

Geostomp
24th September 2007, 1:27 PM
He's a great character in everything except design. He would be much better as a hero; I'm sick of all the "train and battle your Pokémon with love and care"-nonsense, and it's great that there's a character that's the rightout opposite of that now. He really should beat Ash all the time. Though everyone should do that.

Yeah, we really need a main character defined a nothing more than a jerk.

Geez, are people so sick of Ash that they'd take anything over him now?

charizard92
25th September 2007, 12:43 AM
i think that gary should come back in another episode and see ash battle ash and beat him like usual then paul makes fun of gary and battles gary and gary beats him easly. Cause wen he lost to i think he kinda new he wasnt going to beat her cause shes that champion and stuff. it would be better to see gary beat him cause he wont know anyhting about gary like any of his pokemon

charizard92
25th September 2007, 12:44 AM
i think that gary should come back in another episode and see ash battle ash and beat him like usual then paul makes fun of gary and battles gary and gary beats him easly. Cause wen he lost to i think he kinda new he wasnt going to beat her cause shes that champion and stuff. it would be better to see gary beat him cause he wont know anyhting about gary like any of his pokemon

LadySaturn
25th September 2007, 9:51 PM
I personally like Shinji. Shinji is tha BA trainer that Pokemon needed instead of all those happy-happy do the right thing chese balls. And so what if he releases his Pokemon? Maybe they didn't want to fight for him anyways. He DID take them from their homes, anyways. Shinji also makes a good match for Hikari if you do the whole oppisites attract thing.

zeno48
25th September 2007, 9:53 PM
My thoughts on him? I think he needs to be slapped around a little bit. ;).

I think you need to be slapped around a bit. IMO Ash needs to be slapped around a bit. Paul is the best rival Ash has and I really like how Paul pisses of Ash. I simply love it.

Kim62
25th September 2007, 10:50 PM
I don't like him.

Pancakes!
25th September 2007, 11:12 PM
paul is a punk + jerk to me...its just my opinion

Sableye King
25th September 2007, 11:16 PM
Right now, I don't like him. I do think Paul is Ash's perfect rival. But I don't think Ash needs to be slapped around. Maybe people have forgotten, but the show isn't the same as the game.

Paul represents the competitive pokemon gamers that EV and IV train their pokemon, with perfect natures, characteristics, moves, types, and stats. Think about it. When you EV train a pokemon and looking for a specific type, you release all the ones that have the wrong nature; just like Paul does when he catches one that isn't strong enough to him. But in the show, pokemon aren't raised by equations and variables like they are in the game, they're raised like living things.

And Ash represents the normal gamer, one who catches a pokemon, and raises it as is. Which is the majority of people who play pokemon games. And is what the majority of people in the show do. And the characters in the show are cheesey, but Pokemon is aimed at little kids, so it's cheesey to us older kids, but not to younger ones.

But I think Paul has potential to be a likeable person in the show. But at the moment, I don't like him that much.