PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon anime fans are gonna get mad

Triforce007
7th July 2007, 11:26 AM
I was wondering where this would go but I found this article on Msn.com recently and it calls pokemon one of the worst cartoon shows ever.

http://tv.msn.com/new-on-dvd/feature-article/?news=267913&GT1=10189

thats the url. It gets me mad!!! Does any one agree with me.

halloweenghost
7th July 2007, 11:30 AM
I was about to report on this.. but yeah..it's bull

Sir Devious
7th July 2007, 11:38 AM
Pokemon is awesome.

halloweenghost
7th July 2007, 11:44 AM
After reading it..the person who worte it just sounds like a bitter person towards newer cartyoons and liked the really old school ones.

Outlawz
7th July 2007, 11:48 AM
Pokemon is terrible, everthing in that article is true.

Blackjack Gabbiani
7th July 2007, 12:12 PM
Notice how they talk about Pokémon in the past tense? Yeah, that says it all right there.

Xashlei
7th July 2007, 12:14 PM
What does anyone know? If only one person says it, it's no fact.

Gravy
7th July 2007, 12:34 PM
I can asure you that I'm enormously outraged. Face has turned beetroot-red, clenched fists are 'a quakin' and blood vessels are popping like corn.
Sarcasm aside, I can understand why so many people think Pokémon is a pretty cruddy show a lot of the time. But there are many cartoons out there that are a lot worse.

I can't believe they're ragging on 'Goof Troop' though.

Kirby
7th July 2007, 12:42 PM
I can asure you that I'm enormously outraged. Face has turned beetroot-red, clenched fists are 'a quakin' and blood vessels are popping like corn.
Sarcasm aside, I can understand why so many people think Pokémon is a pretty cruddy show a lot of the time. But there are many cartoons out there that are a lot worse.

I can't believe they're ragging on 'Goof Troop' though.

No kidding, I loved Goof Troop ;_;!

It's really a waste of time for people to truly get angry over a review that disses a show they like. I mean, no review will affect whether or not you enjoy the show :] So why care ;P

Uhm, I should make it clear that my second paragraph isn't directed at you, Gravy =D;;

Korobooshi Kojiro
7th July 2007, 3:50 PM
It's just one dude, no big deal.

And it was somewhat true. :P

CoolTrainerTerry
7th July 2007, 4:08 PM
Captain Planet? That show was awesome, to me anyway.
And Pokemon having no story, preposterous.

Yuki Yagami
7th July 2007, 4:11 PM
It's just a person's opinion, but the anime does lack a plot.

...HOW COULD THE PERSON RAG ON CAPTAIN PLANET!? >=^|!

Korobooshi Kojiro
7th July 2007, 4:12 PM
No, EVERYTHING has a plot.

It's just the Anime lacks a big-overarching plot and focuses on plots of individual episodes....kinda like Tom and Jerry/Looney Tunes.

Yuki Yagami
7th July 2007, 4:14 PM

It's just the Anime lacks a big-overarching plot and focuses on plots of individual episodes....kinda like Tom and Jerry/Looney Tunes.

Yeah, I agree on lacking a big-overarching plot.

Adventurous
7th July 2007, 4:18 PM
I read that article as well this morning... It is true to an extint.

The Quality of a show on TV is not how much people like it. You could get a show these days with nothing but big explosions and entertain several million more people than a perfect drama about a caterpillar. = P

Btw, I think they only listed the most popular results on purpose...

Dattebayo
7th July 2007, 5:59 PM
How could they say that to Pokemon?! These guys fail at life and everything, and they are now officially Mario haters.

Shinin
7th July 2007, 6:06 PM

Most anime do have big over-arching plots, pokemon is just a bad one.

TogeticTheRuler
7th July 2007, 6:15 PM
The onlything that was definitly wrong in that paragraph was Character Development, Ash stopped being Arrogant, Misty stopped being mean, Brock is a great breeder. May turned from a failure to a famous Pokemon Contest coordinator.

PDL
7th July 2007, 6:18 PM
Some guy voices his opinion on the internet.

There are greater injustices to get angry over.

Tiffany
7th July 2007, 6:41 PM
It's his opinion. :X
It's not really going to change what I feel about the show. Although it is getting stale, I'll admit.

Gravy
7th July 2007, 10:05 PM
How could they say that to Pokemon?! These guys fail at life and everything, and they are now officially Mario haters.

Your gimmick has gotten f**king old. Come up with some new material please.

Captain Brain
8th July 2007, 12:30 AM
Few, I thought it was a fake report saying Pokemon was canceled. At least this person's opinion holds no weight in determining Pokemon's future. Let the author vent to their hearts content. ;025;

YaoiLink
8th July 2007, 1:50 AM
the show is pretty good the thing thats helping the show is dawn or paul. paul is the only real unique character we have now so its something new that we havent seen in a long time since, well, gary. and dawn is there to just prance around and mezmerize the fan boys with her breasts -_-

Cenzo
8th July 2007, 2:02 AM
Really? Worst cartoon ever? The Replacements, El Tigre, I can name more....

Outlawz
8th July 2007, 2:11 AM
Really? Worst cartoon ever? The Replacements, El Tigre, I can name more....

Yea, and those shows get cancelled pretty fast, pokemon has been on for over 10 years with the same damn plot, how it's not cancelled is beyond me.

Cenzo
8th July 2007, 2:12 AM
^Because it has fanms who like it? If you're not a fan don't bug real fans.

Horn Drill
8th July 2007, 3:04 AM
and dawn is there to just prance around and mezmerize the fan boys with her breasts -_-

So says the guy with the humongous gay Ash/Gary fanart in his sig.

If the guy who wrote that article really watched Pokemon and all those other shows as a kid, he's got to be younger than 30. He's probably not a day over 25. Therefore, I suspect he's denouncing all these cartoons as a way to earn "journalist cred" with older readers who probably have kids who watched those shows. If this article really upsets you, then it's best to ignore it. We can all see that the guy doesn't really know what he's talking about. He probably just had a deadline to meet.

On any account, the ancient Pokemon episodes' hand-drawn animation is a brilliant reason to hate the show. I suppose some people have just gotten spoiled on computer-enhanced cartoons that fill the airwaves nowadays. You can easily tell the difference in the animation when comparing the older Pokemon episodes to the newer Pokemon episodes and other newer animes like Naruto. Such a fair comparison. :rolleyes:

LonesomeDiamond
8th July 2007, 3:06 AM
I may rag on the pkmn anime alot, but I DO watch it, so i must like it somewhat.I just hate the writing and how things are done(only when i think about it).I wouldnt say it is the worst CARTOON out there since shows like American dragon and Avatar(flame war!its not that bad, its just annoyingly american) exist. On the anime tier, however, i'd say its about 10 steps above Inuyasha on badness. I watch Inuyasha too though, cuz i get bored.

Horn Drill
8th July 2007, 3:11 AM
i'd say its about 10 steps above Inuyasha on badness.

Ouch. Kinda harsh.

Dragonfree
8th July 2007, 3:13 AM
I'm not sure I'd ever call it one of the worst cartoons ever, but I don't get why anybody should be in outrage about this. All it says about the Pokémon animé is that it lacks "character development, mature themes, complex plots and either smooth animation or really scenic backgrounds", and as far as I've been able to tell from what I've seen of the animé it pretty much does; does anybody honestly like the Pokémon animé for any of that? (I watched it when they were showing it over here for the sake of the insight into the Pokémon world, at the very least, and never really imagined anybody doing it for any other reason.) You may call "Ash stopped being arrogant and Misty stopped being mean" character development, but once you start following more character-oriented material (which is generally geared at adults since kids don't start getting interested in that sort of thing until later) you start realizing that there is infinitely much more to character development than that.

The guy is not telling any lies. This does not mean that he is automatically right in saying Pokémon is one of the worst cartoons ever and people who like it are morons; people who like it just like it for other things than what he mentioned as being lacking.

LonesomeDiamond
8th July 2007, 3:25 AM
Ouch. Kinda harsh.

...Sorry, I was trying to make 10 steps seem like alot...it didnt work(unless you were offended by the inuyasha part?)
Truth is, the only reason i like this anime is to see the pkmn moving around(which they could do more w/). Otherwise i hate most other things that go on(animals=pkmn, do dogs run around saying dog?).But i digress(cuz it sounds cool), I make my opinion seem much worse whenever i type these things. im content w/ the anime(but thats it).

Horn Drill
8th July 2007, 3:33 AM
...Sorry, I was trying to make 10 steps seem like alot...it didnt work(unless you were offended by the inuyasha part?)

Oh. I thought you were saying that Pokemon was ten steps worse than Inuyasha. lol

Desert Flower
8th July 2007, 6:45 AM
Hey, Captain Planet was awesome.

I think the person who wrote the article either watched only a few episodes, or glanced at the tv while the kids were watching it. Pokemon is best understood when more than just two or three episodes are watched. It's more or less designed that way, though the individual fillers are there for those who can't be bothered to watch every episode. Either way, I can tell that this is yet another uneducated opinion. People seem to love drawing conclusions without actually learning something first. But I've come to accept this, or at least put up with it, so one article isn't going to bother me.

Drkecho
8th July 2007, 6:49 AM
Well Pokemon isn't really the greatest show, you know its pretty horrible compared to other anime. But there are worse. Yet this guy shines the light on a show that was aimed for little kids. I mean Pokemon isn't that bad it does have its moments. But this guy puts it like its the worst show in the world. Well big news for you man have you seen half of those shows on Nickolodeon they get cancelled faster than you can count.

ParaChomp
8th July 2007, 3:58 PM
meh, can't disagree with them

ShInIgAmI009
9th July 2007, 4:41 AM
Everything he said was mainly true.But this anime is aimed at 5~8 year olds.
And has basically the same plot for 90% episode over and over again.

And if your "outraged" by what he said then you need to grow up.

Rex Kamex
9th July 2007, 5:46 PM
I love how more people are concerned with his bashing of the other shows more than they are of Pokemon. It tells you something. Anyway...

"Pokémon" had no story, only a Darwinist premise: Ash Ketchum, a young man and aspiring "Pokémon master," travels around with his pet Pikachu, advancing levels as he goes.

That's the first time I heard Pikachu being called a pet. But anyway, Pokemon does have a story.

Ash has a bunch of young friends, and they wander aimlessly, looking for adventure.

Well, they have aims, but Ash's big and main journey doesn't really have an aim- he goes to the lands that the new games are advertising- UH, I MEAN, THE REGIONS THAT APPEAL TO HIM AT THE MOMENT! Yeah, that's right!

As a genre, anime cartoons are held in high regard -- for character development, mature themes, complex plots and either smooth animation or really scenic backgrounds. "Pokémon" had none of these qualities.

I wouldn't go that far. Pokemon does have character development, especially when it comes to people like Ash. (But what do you expect? He can't not mature into a more responsible Trainer overtime. Besides, it's a double negative ,anyway.) Misty's changed, too. (Although Johto made her do the opposite of developing her character.) She doesn't nag Ash the way she used to (and I'm talking about in Kanto- if you see her at the beginning of Kanto and at the end, you can see a difference). May changed from being an unsure Trainer to a very mature one, responsible enough to travel alone. *cough* and get replaced by a girl from newer games for advertising purposes *cough* I'm not, however, saying that Pokemon has the best example of character development, but I'm sure there are some worse examples. Somewhere.

Mature themes... well, it's aimed at kids. The closest thing I can think of for a mature theme is the one with Norman, Caroline, and Nurse Joy. (But that turned out to be a simple misunderstanding.)

Complex plots. Well... there are a lot more shows with more complex plots, but I still don't see how Pokemon has the most simple plot.

Smooth animation. Okay, I can't really defend Pokemon on this one. It's got good moments and all, but I'm getting tired of all the "Pokemon fires attack at opponent- BAM- Pokemon screams while slowly floating backward" moments.

The way I see it, Pokemon does have some of those qualities, but not in the greatest amounts.

Okay, that's all I can think of. Even though Pokemon's one of my favorite animes (and I know it's faults), I don't really care that the guy said what he said. Well, I do, but only enough to respond calmly to what he said. (Also, I personally don't really care when kids go on and on about how Pokemon is the greatest show ever and has no flaws.)

EDIT: A thing to keep in mind is that the Pokemon show was made to advertise the games, so the writers are not necessarily worried about making Pokemon the greatest and most well-thought out show. (Even though it might as well- that's what I'd want.)

Regardless, the show does have its good points.

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th July 2007, 5:48 PM
That guy seems to be confused as he thinks the Mario and Pac Man shows are Anime...(which that guy apparently thinks all Anime are works of art...yeah-friggen-right).

Rex Kamex
9th July 2007, 5:51 PM
That guy seems to be confused as he thinks the Mario and Pac Man shows are Anime...(which that guy apparently thinks all Anime are works of art...yeah-friggen-right).

Oh yeah, I noticed that too. Then again, lots of people think what's in bold.

Gravy
9th July 2007, 5:53 PM
Not all animé are works of art.

Just Naruto.

AshfanGirl20
9th July 2007, 9:43 PM
There wrong, idiots I tell yah, idiots!!!

Horn Drill
9th July 2007, 10:20 PM
Not all animé are works of art.

Just Naruto.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vCHzOjupl8Y

That guy really can't complain about Pokemon's animation quality if when comparing it to other Japanese cartoons that were popular at that time, such as Sailor Moon and DBZ.

Rex Kamex
10th July 2007, 9:35 PM
Well, this is the original thread. (Like I said in the other one, I wonder what would happen if that guy were to come to these forums...)

"They're"?!

Gymleader Justin
12th July 2007, 4:27 PM
My thread may be closed, but I will not stop about how some of us feel about this. robertisenberg@yahoo.com if you want to cast your opinion of Pokemon on him.

Gravy
12th July 2007, 5:06 PM
Yeah, well no offense, but giving out the guy's E-mail address on a forum like this probably isn't going to net this fandom any bonus points.

Ashy Boy
12th July 2007, 5:22 PM
Why should any of us care what one critic says about the show? I'm sure there are a few people who hate the show.

Shiny qwilfish of doom
23rd July 2007, 4:59 PM
the only show thats better than pokemon is storm stories!half is mind is on crack!if he flames pokemon he sould not be able to come here!but its his own lame opinion.just like darkwithrobots said.you sould get angry over rugrats.where is the complex plot in that?and where is mature stuff in that?

Rex Kamex
23rd July 2007, 5:51 PM
the only show thats better than pokemon is storm stories!half is mind is on crack!if he flames pokemon he sould not be able to come here!but its his own lame opinion.just like darkwithrobots said.you sould get angry over rugrats.where is the complex plot in that?and where is mature stuff in that?

Pokemon isn't exactly the most mature show out there.

zeno48
23rd July 2007, 8:38 PM

You know he does make some valid points and I agree on somethings but the worst show? lol he should look at today's cartoons.

Dattebayo
23rd July 2007, 10:10 PM
I always hate it when people says this to Pokemon.

Archimedes
23rd July 2007, 10:16 PM
Huh... this man speaks the truth. Pokemon is a terrible show that should've ended years ago, yet somehow is still dragging along. Somebody needs to put a bullet in its brain but nobody will. Hell I pretty much agree with the entirety of this article, other than the parts where he talks about Transformers and 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo. **** you man, those shows were awesome and they still are! And unlike Pokemon, they actually ended before they'd outstayed their welcome.

Emwo
24th July 2007, 4:28 AM
I can see what he means, though it sounds like it's just based on childhood. He'd mention Power Rangers I bet as one of the worst kid shows, (if it was the topic.)
In a way I agree with him, Pokemon is stale though I love it. Same with Transformers (Though the movie producers didn't do a bad job at at least TRYING to keep a good rep.)
it's weird, captain planet = magic school bus in a few ways, don't see why he didn't mention that.

edit: Spongebob should've made that list.

Archimedes
24th July 2007, 4:51 AM
it's weird, captain planet = magic school bus in a few ways, don't see why he didn't mention that. Because Magic School Bus was a decent cartoon. You actually learned stuff from it.

edit: Spongebob should've made that list. Not really. Spongebob is too recent for that list and doesn't really meet all the requirements. There's no storyline or anything but the show doesn't constantly recycle old jokes and is often rather humorous. Good entertainment for a family with a decent sense of humor. inb4 "Spongebob is terrible, you suck". Suck it Dattebayo.

mewmew202
24th July 2007, 5:00 AM
these people are insane. They posted shows that contain senceless violence. They posted Tom and Jerry which IMO has less of a plot than Pokemon. Sure pokeon now isn't quite as good as the old epsiodes it is still a decent show.

Edit: rank up

Dattebayo
24th July 2007, 5:41 AM
Not really. Spongebob is too recent for that list and doesn't really meet all the requirements. There's no storyline or anything but the show doesn't constantly recycle old jokes and is often rather humorous. Good entertainment for a family with a decent sense of humor. inb4 "Spongebob is terrible, you suck". Suck it Dattebayo.

Are you out of your mind?! Spongebob stinks! He should be the replacement of Pokemon as the worst show ever.

Archimedes
24th July 2007, 5:51 AM
Are you out of your mind?! Spongebob stinks! He should be the replacement of Pokemon as the worst show ever.

Spongebob fills me with lulz when I watch it. Pokemon makes me want to change the channel and stab someone in their urethra. I'd say Spongebob was better. And as I've said before, Suck it Dattebayo.

zeno48
24th July 2007, 5:52 AM

No spongebob is funny and Pokemon well it's repetative.

Dattebayo
24th July 2007, 5:54 AM
Spongebob fills me with lulz when I watch it. Pokemon makes me want to change the channel and stab someone in their urethra. I'd say Spongebob was better. And as I've said before, Suck it Dattebayo.

Then consider yourself a Mario hater. Now I'm going to my room and whine about it. PM me if you want to give me an apoligy(I think thats how you spell it).

Archimedes
24th July 2007, 5:56 AM
Then consider yourself a Mario hater. Now I'm going to my room and whine about it. PM me if you want to give me an apoligy(I think thats how you spell it).

Not really, I wholeheartedly enjoy the Mario games. You do go on with your whining, though, hopefully you'll learn to spell while you're at it! Once again, Suck it Dattebayo! Toodles.

DarkPersian479
24th July 2007, 5:57 AM
The points he makes, while somewhat based in fact, are mostly irrelevant as to why most watch the anime.

At least it isn't like the old days, where Pokemon was being accused of having satanic overtones (OMG Kadabra uses Psychic powers, therefore he must represent the devil!!!!!666!!!) This guy's actually pretty tame in comparison to some of the old Pokemon bashers.

pokemaster 13
24th July 2007, 6:53 PM
spongebobs the devil.anyway.while not the perfect show,its still better than most cartoons today.seriously,its not ment to be taken as a mature show,but a form of entertainment.god,when will people just shut the **** up and enjoy something.

Blaperile
24th July 2007, 6:59 PM
Pokémon is just cool and they say that grown up people don't like it like kids like them, but my brother is already 19 years old and he still likes Pokémon just like me.

Metal Bird
25th July 2007, 7:32 AM
How could he hate Pokemon? That's one of the best shows of all time.

Of course, people have their own opinions. But still, I think I know why he hates it, it's because that guy is from MSN (short for the Microsoft Network). And you know where the XBox comes from: Microsoft! And you know where Microsoft is headqurtered: Bellvue, WA (a suburb near Seattle that's also near Redmond, WA -- the location of where Nintendo is headqurted).

I have a feeling he's doing it for competion. I can allready see it, Wii vs XBox 360.

Archimedes
25th July 2007, 7:57 AM
How could he hate Pokemon? That's one of the best shows of all time. No it's not.

Of course, people have their own opinions. You're right, they do. Yours is just wrong, while his is right.
But still, I think I know why he hates it, it's because that guy is from MSN (short for the Microsoft Network). Oh, goddammit.
And you know where the XBox comes from: Microsoft! Your point?
And you know where Microsoft is headqurtered: Bellvue, WA (a suburb near Seattle that's also near Redmond, WA -- the location of where Nintendo is headqurted). Thanks for the geography lesson.

I have a feeling he's doing it for competion. I can allready see it, Wii vs XBox 360. You're a ****ing idiot. No really. You are.

Jeff Zero
25th July 2007, 10:02 AM
The onlything that was definitly wrong in that paragraph was Character Development, Ash stopped being Arrogant, Misty stopped being mean, Brock is a great breeder. May turned from a failure to a famous Pokemon Contest coordinator.

Yes, this is definately true. But also the guy bashed the show saying it didn't have good animation. You know what? Devil's Advocate here, it did have reletively poor animation--in the early seasons. From late Johto forward the animation has been awesome. Character designs are much better, colors are fantastic, and some decent CGI thrown in for attacks.

However, the thing with Pokemon is only the people who watch it will say it's good. Everybody else will think it's garbage and say it's garbage. Other shows, especially live action shows, dramas, sitcoms, ect. People won't attach the scism. I don't blame people for pre-judging Pokemon as some "patethic kid's show". But I don't like is arrogent know-it-alls who make baseless claims that simple facts can easily disprove.