PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye Butterfree

Yuki Yagami
7th July 2007, 4:00 PM
Since the talk about shiny Pokemon have been popular...who kinda thinks the pink Butterfree was the first shiny Pokemon? I kinda do since I recall other female Butterfrees looking the same as a typical Butterfree looks like. Then again, I kinda think it's the same result as the 'shiny' Gyrardos that Lance caught in the anime. So what's your opinion about it?

Kametsou
7th July 2007, 4:01 PM
If it was shiny, then one of the characters would've said something about it.

Leon
7th July 2007, 4:01 PM
Probably ^^ I think the fact it was pink stemed off from someone saying they once saw a pink Butterfree in one fo the guardhouses either side of Viridian City.

Yuki Yagami
7th July 2007, 4:07 PM
Probably ^^ I think the fact it was pink stemed off from someone saying they once saw a pink Butterfree in one fo the guardhouses either side of Viridian City.

I was thinking the same way like the shiny Gyrardos Lance caught. C_c

Yuki Yagami
7th July 2007, 4:08 PM
If it was shiny, then one of the characters would've said something about it.

I think one of the characters did say it, but shiny wasn't the term back then like when Ash caught Noctowl...it was just irregular from the regular Noctowls.

Power of Fire
7th July 2007, 4:26 PM
no it's not a shiny. there was no shinies back then the reason they said ash's noctowl is irregular cause the scientist didn't it was a shiny

Yuki Yagami
7th July 2007, 4:29 PM
no it's not a shiny. there was no shinies back then the reason they said ash's noctowl is irregular cause the scientist didn't it was a shiny

Shiny Pokemon have existed a long time ago...it just wouldn't make sense that they suddenly appeared out of no where from the Johto region. Well, reason why I said Ash's Noctowl is irregular from a normal Noctowl is because it is smaller and in the game, there is no difference of height, only a bit of stats and the appearance.

Gravy
7th July 2007, 5:08 PM
Y'know, it's times like this that make you realise just how utterly stupid the term 'shiny' really is, especially when you're talking about their appearences in the pokémon animé world. It's like seeing a slightly different colored dog and saying 'Hey look, it's a shiny Alsatian!', or comparing a brown hamster and white spotted hamster and saying 'Wow, the shiny version looks so much cooler'.
What makes the Pink Butterfree a shiny? Does that also mean the orange island pokémon are shinies? The Butterfree with the yellow wings and red speckles, the darker tinted Nidoran and the Vileplume with orange petals covered in red triangular markings? They all have different colours and patterns than usual, which is essentially what the fans deem worthy to be referred to as shiny - Why are they an exception? Or hell, even the cloned pokémon from the Mewtwo specials. Namely the Charizard, Blastoise and Venusaur. They had areas of darker pigmentation all over their bodies, which do not appear on the regular species. So does that make them shiny?

Leon
7th July 2007, 5:20 PM
Well said Gravy.

Personally, I beleive shiny Pokémon to be like Albinos, because of their sheer rarity. Pokémon with slightly different colorations, or marlings like those of the Orange Islands, are only because of their regional differences, like the coloration of a humans skin. In what Gravy said, shouldn't seeing someone with a different skin coloration as you,(Not being racist) deem then "Shiny?"

Shinin
7th July 2007, 6:44 PM
Y'know, it's times like this that make you realise just how utterly stupid the term 'shiny' really is, especially when you're talking about their appearences in the pokémon animé world. It's like seeing a slightly different colored dog and saying 'Hey look, it's a shiny Alsatian!', or comparing a brown hamster and white spotted hamster and saying 'Wow, the shiny version looks so much cooler'.
What makes the Pink Butterfree a shiny? Does that also mean the orange island pokémon are shinies? The Butterfree with the yellow wings and red speckles, the darker tinted Nidoran and the Vileplume with orange petals covered in red triangular markings? They all have different colours and patterns than usual, which is essentially what the fans deem worthy to be referred to as shiny - Why are they an exception? Or hell, even the cloned pokémon from the Mewtwo specials. Namely the Charizard, Blastoise and Venusaur. They had areas of darker pigmentation all over their bodies, which do not appear on the regular species. So does that make them shiny?

It's shiny if it's the color that the shiny version in the game is, with the exception of the Island of the Pink Pokemon because they're not necessarily naturally that color if pink is the color they'd be when shiny.