PDA

View Full Version : Worst Cartoons Ever

Gymleader Justin
9th July 2007, 5:21 PM
I picked up this article from somewhere the MSN entertainment section. Appearently there is some Jerk Article writter bashing on Pokemon.

Originally Written By Robert Isenberg
"Pokémon" had no story, only a Darwinist premise: Ash Ketchum, a young man and aspiring "Pokémon master," travels around with his pet Pikachu, advancing levels as he goes. Ash has a bunch of young friends, and they wander aimlessly, looking for adventure. As a genre, anime cartoons are held in high regard -- for character development, mature themes, complex plots and either smooth animation or really scenic backgrounds. "Pokémon" had none of these qualities. And wasn't not alone: The "Super Mario Bros." and "Pac-Man" cartoons also fell flat, which is what happens when you base a saga on a two-dimensional video game. Now just imagine "Grand Theft Auto: The Animated Series" -- that would be something.

http://tv.msn.com/tv/badcartoons-2

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th July 2007, 5:23 PM
This has been posted alot over the last few days or so.

It's just one guy expressing somewhat true things, so no big deal.

Gymleader Justin
9th July 2007, 5:53 PM
I was able to track down his email for everyone who wanted to voice there opinion at him: [email removed]

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th July 2007, 5:56 PM
Don't do that!

Some of the more immature members will send idiotic responses that will only make the fanbase look bad on the whole.

Satoshi
9th July 2007, 9:15 PM
Funny how I agree with most of the things he said.

CyberCubed
9th July 2007, 9:17 PM
Funny how I agree with most of the things he said.

There is still character development with the main characters though. Nearly every character has changed from the way they started as.

Except Brock. He's been exactly the same for 500 episodes.

Gymleader Justin
9th July 2007, 9:26 PM
Don't worry. People with no respect for the anime shouldn't make wild accusations about things they don't understand to begin with. Be prepared when mocking Pokemon.

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th July 2007, 9:28 PM
Oh boy, and thus I expect a follow-up article in weeks to come. :X

Turak
9th July 2007, 9:43 PM
OK, he does have a point in some areas, like the storyline and wandering aimlessly. Anyway, I think you should remove the email so people don't spam it. Anyway, one thing about that quote that struck me was the Darwanistic comment, which strikes me as his dislike being backed by religion. Anyway, no matter what you think of this guys oppinion, it is jus that, his opinion. Anyway, while I may disagree with Pokemon being the worst cartoon ever, it is his opinion.

Rex Kamex
9th July 2007, 10:27 PM
Don't do that!

Some of the more immature members will send idiotic responses that will only make the fanbase look bad on the whole.

I might as well post this in the other thread, but...

I wonder how this guy would react if he ever came here?

Satoshi
9th July 2007, 11:13 PM
There is still character development with the main characters though. Nearly every character has changed from the way they started as.
I've noticed that part of his little article, which is why I said "mostly".

Don't worry. People with no respect for the anime shouldn't make wild accusations about things they don't understand to begin with. Be prepared when mocking Pokemon.Because if you don't hold POKEMON as a holy grail, YOU MUST DIE!

no way pokemon animu is bad. i wont accept it.

Tis' the Pokemon fandom...

I DO disagree on his assumption that all shows based on games fall flat. Sure, there are some that leave much to be desired (Disgaea... Ragnarok The Animation... POKEMON...), but not all of them are bad.

ChaosMage
9th July 2007, 11:37 PM
OK, that is just wrong. "Pokemon" is very entertaining and teaches teamwork, determination and strategic thinking in children as well as appreciation for your environment and your fellow man (or person). It's not the greatest cartoon ever, but boy is it nowhere near the worst.

Desert Flower
10th July 2007, 1:35 AM
There's already a thread about that article. Look around. Besides, it's nothing to get angry about. It's just yet another person who judged it based on only one or two episodes. And he listed Captain Planet. It's not an opinion I'm going to take seriously. It's true that the show is pretty bad, but I watch it just to see the pokemon, and for an insight on the Pokemon world that the games don't show as well.

xeno_latios
10th July 2007, 1:38 AM
i love the show...in its earlier days..
i don't know it was just more intresting and complex u kno?
i mean dont get me wrong i still tune in everyday..but..
truth is..some of that is true

Desert Flower
10th July 2007, 1:51 AM
^The story was more interesting and complex. Now the battles are. I guess that kinda makes up for the monotony of the story, but that's just because I don't watch it for the story.

flyboy1308
10th July 2007, 2:12 AM
1) They DO NOT wander aimlessly, everytime they leave a town, they say- "The nearest Gym is in Whatever City, Ash needs that badge to be a Pokemon master" NOT- "Hey guys, let's look for adventure, I think we should go southeast!"

2) I'd like that guy to show me one episode without a scenic background in it.

Shiny pokemon lover
10th July 2007, 11:55 AM
Yes, he does not know what he is talking about. Mario and Pokemon are two of the most popular cartoons. He just shows himself like an idiot.

Kametsou
10th July 2007, 2:19 PM
This guy needs to be shot in the head... Let's get him!

Gymleader Justin
10th July 2007, 3:15 PM
Originally posted by Desert Flower
There's already a thread about that article. Look around. Besides, it's nothing to get angry about. It's just yet another person who judged it based on only one or two episodes. And he listed Captain Planet. It's not an opinion I'm going to take seriously. It's true that the show is pretty bad, but I watch it just to see the pokemon, and for an insight on the Pokemon world that the games don't show as well.

Did you mean you didn't like pokemon or captain planet?

Leon Phelps
10th July 2007, 3:46 PM
Don't worry. People with no respect for the anime shouldn't make wild accusations about things they don't understand to begin with. Be prepared when mocking Pokemon.
YOU LOSER! LOOOOOSER! The world is laughing at you right now. "Wild accusations". "Be prepared when mocking Pokemon." Pokemon as an anime is an epic fail. There I said it. Are going to flood my email account with Munchlax pictures too?

^The story was more interesting and complex. Now the battles are. I guess that kinda makes up for the monotony of the story, but that's just because I don't watch it for the story.
No, first of all the show never had a story. Secondly, badly animated, freeze frame fight scenes don't make up for the absence of a real plot.

2) I'd like that guy to show me one episode without a scenic background in it.
How about none of them? All of the episodes recycle the same bland settings from 10 years ago.

This guy needs to be shot in the head... Let's get him!
Yeah, ok Dick Cheyney. We're going to shoot someone in the head because they said that a show that your favorite show that actually sucks "sucks more than anything else". Boo hoo.

Gymleader Justin
10th July 2007, 5:09 PM
Listen why are you even in here if you show no care or respect at all. People who lack understanding of it's creativity and is going to hate on it DON'T EVEN POST HERE. DON'T EVEN POST IN POKEMON THREADS WHERE PEOPLE LIKE TALKING ABOUT POKEMON. I also understand that most of you are right that some of members here could react in a childish manner at this person, but think about the mature and responsible people who would use this and maybe say to this guy that you shouldn't judge something like that when you have no right saying it. There is no reason for making a mockery of something that many people love.

S.Suikun
10th July 2007, 5:54 PM
All you guys are doing is proving the guy right about the show being for immature preteens. Good job.

Rex Kamex
10th July 2007, 5:56 PM
Which is why I said...

I wonder how this guy would react if he ever came here?

Seriously, this guy would NEVER give Pokemon a chance if he saw threads like the "Misty VS May VS Dawn" ones.

Dattebayo
10th July 2007, 6:02 PM
I hate it when someone says that Pokemon stinks. It's almost as hurtful as the "Spongebob is better than Mario" argument.

Cenzo
10th July 2007, 6:03 PM
^I wonder how often that one comes up? Basically, this is not LOST or Shakespeare on our tv's, but it is good harmless fun.

Korobooshi Kojiro
10th July 2007, 8:52 PM
It's almost as hurtful as the "Spongebob is better than Mario" argument.
You're the only person who ever brings that up. :P

Sharpshooter
10th July 2007, 9:32 PM
You know the guy clearly doesn't know what he's talking about when he lists other classic cartoons such as transformers up there.

Metal Bird
11th July 2007, 10:54 AM
I think he's refering to the newer episodes (season 6-present).

Korobooshi Kojiro
11th July 2007, 2:16 PM
Hah...no such luck Metal Bird.

CyberCubed
11th July 2007, 2:48 PM
I think he's refering to the newer episodes (season 6-present).

Nice try, but he's referring to Season 1.

The reviewer probably hasn't seen anything beyond Kanto way back in 1998.

Gymleader Justin
11th July 2007, 4:12 PM
That's true. If he saw something like Advanced battle, or towards the end where they started changing the graphics on shawdow ball and sing, then he would probably change his mind. It's okay to be goofy with Pokemon and have a lot of fun with it. Insane threads can be okay.

Korobooshi Kojiro
11th July 2007, 4:13 PM
That's true. If he saw something like Advanced battle, or towards the end where they started changing the graphics on shawdow ball and sing, then he would probably change his mind
I don't think that would either.

Satoshi
11th July 2007, 7:58 PM
Give it up. The Pokemon anime will NEVER gain respect with how the fanbase would normally react to this sort of stuff.

The Pokemon fanbase can't take a little critism, huh?

Also, cheap CGI wouldn't be enough to garner respect either.

Gymleader Justin
11th July 2007, 9:38 PM
No you know what. A little comment on a little stuff is ok now and then, but totally degrading something as big as this. That does take things a little too far. I have never known of an article call out pokemon to be anything negative. You can't just go throwing out things like that that isn't even true. That isn't even an opinion, that is just plain wrong.

Soulworage717
12th July 2007, 2:17 AM
Sure it's wrong but it's serving its purpose. Adults are probably going to find this show to be the plague (A bit extreme, but man this is broken.) And they are not here to get orgasms from imagery (Pardon my French.) The battles are weak and fundamentally flawed. Team Rocket is going to be despised by everybody at this rate, and anybody that has taste in television will despise this show far beyond the truth. But with so many things wrong about this it's inevitable that angry ranters are going to strike down hard on this show.

I do admit this is far beyond right and it probably should be changed, but it's an angry rant on some site I do not know about. Let him at his peace, no need to be a moron and flame him. You can forget this exists in a day.

P.S. Pokemon might have a plot, but we might as well say there is no plot because it's the same thing over and over again.