PDA

View Full Version : Top-Down Training (508)

Serebii
19th July 2007, 11:55 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/508.jpgChampion Cynthia Appears!

On their way to the next town, Ash & Co. meet up with Cynthia, the Pokémon Champion of Sinnoh while they are investigating some ruins. Paul appears soon after and is eager to challenge Cynthia to a battle. Will Paul manage to stand his ground against the Champion or will he be easily defeated?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/shinou/508.shtml)

Discuss

-Starly-
20th July 2007, 12:11 AM
I still have to watch this episode, yet it seems to me that this is one of the best ones DP has offered yet. The discovery that Paul isn't a beginning trainer, the debut of his three other Pokemon, coupled with Cynthia's appearance, puts this in my pile of DP favorites.

Alzatia
20th July 2007, 12:15 AM
Man I can't wait to watch this episode! It has revealed us so much about Paul,and plus we see the awesomness of Shirona. <3

pokemaster95
Cynthia owned 4 of Shinji's pokemon with just Garchomp so She is prbly the stronger then Lance.This is my favorite episode so far in the series.

Chatsy
Just a quick note before I head off to bed:

Croagunk stopping in the middle of his Poison Stabbing of Brock and looking sheepish afterwards was GOLD!

http://i19.*******.com/6hhjxn8.jpg

scissorX
20th July 2007, 12:18 AM
Quite possibly my favourite Sinnoh episode?

I mean first we got Paul being an experience trainer, with a Torterra! And seeing his Weavile and Murkrow, and how he actually cared for his stornger Pokémon. Not to mention the fact that his disregard for Chimchar was highly focused on towards the latter of this episode, which does open up the possibility that it may be released at some point; something I thought was never going to happen before.

Next we have Cynthia. Do I need to expand on this one? Cynthia & Garchomp FTW. Plus the cameo of her beating Lucien.

Great animation IMO, some brilliant battle scenes and just overall an amazing episode. Kudos to the writers.

Jonah
20th July 2007, 12:18 AM
THIS EPISODE IS FULL OF EPICNESS AND WIN.

From what I've heard, it even tops "Mutiny in the Bounty", IMO.

And it got the longest speculation thread in the Anime Spoilers section, 35 pages long, most of it being about Torterra and whether it was Paul's. (For those of you who haven't been to the speculation thread, it is.)

EAT YOUR KEYBOARD!

This is on my list of episodes that I'm going to watch when they come out in the USA.

S.Suikun
20th July 2007, 2:10 AM
So I watched this so-called "EPIC" episode, and while "Epic" may be a bit of an exaggeration, it was a good one nevertheless. About on-par with the Lucian episode. My primary disappointment was that Shinji hardly put up a fight. I have no problem with Shirona taking four of Shinji's Pokemon down with one, being the champion and all, but if he is indeed an experienced trainer, I'd like to have see him get a few more hits in.

However, as a character-building episode, this was solid. Shinji is still the arrogant jerk we've come to know and love, but we learned a fair bit more about him here. He may be a dick to the people around him, but he still cares for his Pokemon, even if he has a rigid way of showing it. It seems as if the writers are opening up Shinji's character gradually instead of all at once, which brings greater mystery to his character.

And yes, Croagunk was definitely the humor highlight of the episode. Although, I wouldn't say the animation was that good, especially when compared to the previous episode. Shirona's interest in the orbs at the end may hint into a future appearance by her in the Dialga/Palkia arc.

Lounging Mightyena
20th July 2007, 2:11 AM
This episode was worth the wait! What was Shinji saying about the other regions? Has he been to them before?

(but who uses Blizzard and Ice Beam on a Weavile? >__>)

Crystal Clair
20th July 2007, 2:17 AM
but who uses Powder Snow
It was blizzard.... then again the two attacks sound very similar

I'll post more later.
There was a little fanservice in this episode.... Shinji hair blowing type of fanservice
Stopped me dead in my tracks

btw, I translated like all of the attacks that Shinji shouted so that's why I was able to confirm it being blizzard and not powder snow.

edit
While I was watching this episode, I was on bulbagarden's chat, so I commented as I watched
The post is separated into spoilers, where the chat is contained. The chat is long but not that long

I loved this episode. It was ten.... no twenty different levels of cool.
Shinji was hot
Also, if anyone has free time, I'd like to have Shinji's dialogue when he talks about Houen, Johto and Kanto, in Japanese, not translated.
I also kinda want most of his lines written in Romaji.... but the first is more wanted.

[19:00:05] <Crystal_Clair> dang, Shirona's hot
[19:00:10] <Crystal_Clair> I dont even like her
[19:00:14] <Geoffrey> lol
[19:00:14] <Crystal_Clair> and I think she's effing hot
[19:00:18] <Misty> lol
[19:00:55] <Crystal_Clair> is that icecream she's eating?
[19:01:01] <Misty> ?
[19:01:08] <Crystal_Clair> she looks funny there, touching the rock and eating the icecream
[19:01:12] <Eevee1> No, it's a lizard.
[19:01:15] <Crystal_Clair> maybe she has a sweet tooth
[19:01:24] <Crystal_Clair> no it couldve been sorbet
[19:01:34] <Eevee1> "Kecleon!" *munch munch munch*
[19:01:56] <Crystal_Clair> OMG Shinji just appeared!
[19:02:01] <Crystal_Clair> His Japanese voice is sooooo sexy
[19:02:34] <Crystal_Clair> Tobari no Shinji desu!!!!! OMGOMG
[19:02:47] <Geoffrey> lol

[19:02:57] <Crystal_Clair> he should've called her Shirona sama
[19:03:30] <Crystal_Clair> what
[19:04:18] <Crystal_Clair> Shirona was hotted out by Shinji
[19:06:22] <Crystal_Clair> what attack did Shinji just tell Hikozaru to do?
[19:06:42] <Crystal_Clair> Firespin!
[19:07:51] <Crystal_Clair> ana o horu!!!
[19:08:10] <Crystal_Clair> OMG ****** off SHINJI!!!!
[19:08:24] <Crystal_Clair> poor Hiko-kun!
[19:08:37] <Crystal_Clair> Gabliasu pwned it : \
[19:09:39] <Crystal_Clair> Shinji looks so hot when he blinks
[19:11:11] <Crystal_Clair> Shinji's MANYURA!!!!
[19:11:35] * Crystal_Clair is watching the newest pokemon episode
[19:11:55] <Godot> Oh, the Shinji VS Shirona one.
[19:13:45] <Crystal_Clair> Shinji instructed his Manyula to use fubuki
[19:13:53] <Crystal_Clair> sounds like ibuki (clair's name)
[19:14:09] <Crystal_Clair> I'm trying to memorize the Japanese names so I can understand the raw better
[19:16:46] <Crystal_Clair> *fangirl spasm
[19:16:58] <Crystal_Clair> for a second there, Shinji-kun just looked really pretty
[19:17:02] <Crystal_Clair> he's a very pretty boy
[19:17:09] <Eevee1> Saw that as orgasm.
[19:18:32] <Crystal_Clair> Shinji is pretty
[19:19:59] <Crystal_Clair> Japanese is even more sexier than French
[19:20:05] * Crystal_Clair does not know why
[19:26:42] <Crystal_Clair> Yamikarasu used kuroikiri (haze)
[19:26:48] <Knightly> I am intriguied by Shinji's backstory now though
[19:28:21] <Crystal_Clair> OMG there was this sudden freeze where it was just Shinji
[19:28:34] <Crystal_Clair> and no sound but him saying something

[19:29:53] <Crystal_Clair> WOW a really really really cool song just came on
[19:30:44] <Crystal_Clair> JESUS!! Fanservice!
[19:30:50] <Crystal_Clair> Shinji's hair is blowing!
[19:31:13] <Crystal_Clair> the animators are making him the new Drew
[19:34:56] <Crystal_Clair> but it was one of the most incredible fanservice clips
[19:35:00] <Crystal_Clair> his hair was BLOWING
[19:41:00] <Crystal_Clair> there it is, the fanservice!
[19:44:46] <Crystal_Clair> here's the fanservice I'm drooling over. But it's not half as hot with one frame
[19:44:47] <Crystal_Clair> http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5966/shinjifanserviceay6.png
[19:48:03] <Crystal_Clair> some stupid squirts are laughing at my smexy Shinji!!!!
[19:53:20] <Crystal_Clair> OMG Greggle was so funny
[19:55:19] <Crystal_Clair> Shirona just called Shinji "Shinji-kun"
[19:55:27] <Crystal_Clair> never heard him be called that before in the anime
[19:55:34] <Crystal_Clair> I used to call him that but....
[19:56:17] <Crystal_Clair> hearing Shinji say Kanto, Johto and Houen seems almost unreal
[19:57:57] <Crystal_Clair> I suddenly have a steady dislike for SHirona
[19:58:11] <Crystal_Clair> so pretty, yet so great to hate
[19:59:28] <Crystal_Clair> this is now my other absolute favorite Shinou episode
[19:59:40] <Crystal_Clair> the original one being "Forest of Hesitation!! Shinji Again!!
[20:00:12] <Crystal_Clair> OMG animation error!
[20:00:39] <Crystal_Clair> I'd send it to Soara but I'm afraid I'll say something wrong (I'm awkward in my Japanese)
[20:00:47] <Crystal_Clair> Shinji's sleeve was blue and not black

Endoplasmic Reticulum
20th July 2007, 3:10 AM
Holy Sh!t the Torterra is really Paul's. Wow, he is just as an experienced trainer as Ash. Can somebody give me a summary on a bit of the episoded and how he mistreated Chimchar, and was treating his other pokemon nice?

Oh and was Elekid in this episode.

And did we find out what happened to his Ursurang

Can't wait to see his bio tomorow! Joe, can you do it ASAP?

Korobooshi Kojiro
20th July 2007, 3:16 AM
Apparently Paul didn't want to win, he merely wanted to test out strategies on Garchomp. Speaking of Garchomp, nice to see his Fold Up mode the Pokedex goes on and on and on about.

And Lucien, Dialga's Beach Volleyball, and the Sinnoh Now! all cameo'd. And Bronzong!

And Silver in the manga had Ursaring, Sneasel, and Murkrow...0.o
Parallel's are endless.

And now maybe the "Ash'll get Chimchar" will be decimated.

kewlmyc
20th July 2007, 3:20 AM
Saw the episode and it's one of my favorite episodes to date. I only wish that someone would give us a word for word translation of Shinji's "backstory" and the shinji/paul argument.

Pika Hikari KT
20th July 2007, 3:34 AM
Croagunk stopping in the middle of his Poison Stabbing of Brock and looking sheepish afterwards was GOLD!
LOL, that's pretty cute.^_^

Cor
20th July 2007, 6:29 AM
Finally Murkrow appears. Paul got Shoop da Wooped by Cynthia. I love it.

zeno48
20th July 2007, 6:58 AM
I loved this episode but what i fing odd is that shinji did not compete in the indigo, johto, hoenn league what so ever. Was he collecting badges and decided to train or what? and what i don't get is how do you start in sinnoh but ned up in kanto? How does that happen?

Ancax
20th July 2007, 7:35 AM
How exactly did Paul get Chimchar? He made comments on Weavile/Murkrow, which probably meant he caught them both in Johto, but I did not make out where he got Chimchar. I felt kinda bad for it though, it really makes me wonder what will happen to the poor chimp. So cute when handled by Shirona.

uber gon
20th July 2007, 10:14 AM
What attacks did Garchomp use?

P13
20th July 2007, 10:32 AM
Good episode. I was practically begging Ash to punch Paul (with my mind) when he was scolding Chimchar.

Giga Impact still looks like a purple wave of meh, if any attack needs some CGI-augmentation, its that one. Funny how Elekid wasn't there after everyone saying he was Paul's Pikachu.

I'm willing to join the camp that says Paul will abandon Chimchar, it makes so much sense and his team is already so choppy and inconsistent at this point. Pauls's got Torterra, so the whole "three separate character gets only one starter of the region" thing is already out the window.

Ash taking in a tortured Chimchar and inviting it to open up to him would make up for Turtwig's lack of character.

Anonymous Trainer
20th July 2007, 10:41 AM
Good episode. I was practically begging Ash to punch Paul (with my mind) when he was scolding Chimchar.

Giga Impact still looks like a purple wave of meh, if any attack needs some CGI-augmentation, its that one. Funny how Elekid wasn't there after everyone saying he was Paul's Pikachu.

I'm willing to join the camp that says Paul will abandon Chimchar, it makes so much sense and his team is already so choppy and inconsistent at this point. Pauls's got Torterra, so the whole "three separate character gets only one starter of the region" thing is already out the window.

Ash taking in a tortured Chimchar and inviting it to open up to him would make up for Turtwig's lack of character.

Turtwig does have personality, it's just most of the screentime for Ash's Pokemon usually goes to Pikachu or Aipom. I agree though, Paul owning two starters, mainly the one Ash might get in the future does sort of leave a lot of confusion.

Hyourinmaru
20th July 2007, 10:48 AM
An abridged version of my reactions from my LJ...

-GOYOU CAMEO. The *** cannon makes a return. It's kinda a shame that the animation is looking...mediocre. STILL. SHIRONA AND GOYOU ON ONE SCREEN.
-Hikari's look of adoration when they're watching Shirona, homg. That's, sadly, the only GirlPower hint =/
-Gablias is so cool
- SHIRONA.
-They keep talking about Goyou and saying Shirona's the number one trainer. HOMG :D
- When the guy on TV was talking at the same time as the narrator was I thought 'HOMG SATOSHI'S BEING STALKED ON TV HE'S A CELEBRITY'.
- SHIRO-CHAN!. HER VOICE IS AWESOME. SHE SOUNDS KINDA LIKE MOMI BUT WHATEVER.
- Hahahaha her ice cream choice. What was it? Chocomint, Strawberry and Cookie Cream. Oh Shirona, you greedy person <3
- HAHA SHE HAS A WHOLE CROWD AROUND HER.
- SHINJI :D
- Her Pokeball throw is awesome =D
- Haha. Hikozaru looks so tiny against Gablias
- SILVER CLONE. SILVER CLONE. A MEMBER OF THE NYULA FAMILY. HE'S SILVER CLOOONE.
- IT BEAT SHINJI'S MANYULA IN ONE HIT? My Manyula did much better than that >D
- His Yamikarasu. STILL A Silver clone.
- SHIRONA IS SEXY WHEN SERIOUS =D
- I wish people would shut up about Shinji having Dotaitos and Kengo having Pottaishi. JUST BECAUSE THEY HAVE IT DOESN'T MEAN HIKARI/SATOSHI CAN'T >/.
- Gablias looks less on drugs in the anime.
- Hell, both Shirona and Shinji look sexy. This episode = sexy overload. Add Goyou's cameo and it's like a happy, canon fangirl dream.
- Shirona DOES look sexy when serious. Glad the anime didn't screw her up too much.
- LOL at the supposed 'EMO SHIRONA! SHE LOST' scene. I love her smirk too.
- I want a Gablias as pwnsome as hers.
- Hahaha Shinji being teased by the kids XD. Lolz at Satoshi being defensive.
- Lolz at Shirona being the only one who can change Shinji's mind.
- WHOA LOOK AT THOSE POWERS SHE HAS. SHE CONVINCED GREGGLE TO STOP.
- Aw, Hikozaru is adorable. Shirona is so SWEET~
- Shinji you...loner thing. Standing in the corner like that.
- Yay for Shinji backstory.
- Yay she still has her interest in mythology~
- Hahaha Comashipping.
- HE STILL HAS THE RINGUMA. SILVER CLONE XDDDDD
- 'Tsukaenai'. Poor HIKOZARU.
- Shirona is so NICE. She does give the expected 'be nice!' speech. Shinji listens too
- YUUKA CAMEO.
- I like her bag.
- HAHAHA Shinji looks so weird, looking out the window with all his Pokemon.

Best ep ever. It'll take alot to top this (possibly better animation?). All they needed was to add Baku, Natane, Hyouta and her Roserade to the ep and I'd be melting from over fangirling.

P13
20th July 2007, 10:57 AM
Turtwig does have personality, it's just most of the screentime for Ash's Pokemon usually goes to Pikachu or Aipom. I agree though, Paul owning two starters, mainly the one Ash might get in the future does sort of leave a lot of confusion.

I wouldn't blame it on the screen-time, Pokemon with a minuscule percentage of Turtwig's screen-time have way more interesting character traits. Sure he has a personality, but its not an interesting enough one to warrant any screen-time.

I mean Chimchar has got to be by far Paul's least favorite Pokemon that he hasn't already released yet. Why should a Pokemon he only sees as a weakling stand apart from those Starly and Stantler? And unless in a future episode it is revealed otherwise, he seems to have no emotional attachment to it.

The facts are all there, but.... we all know Sinnoh has given us some interesting turnarounds in the past...

Crask
20th July 2007, 1:05 PM
Awesome episode, can honestly say i was surprised when Paul didn't take his pokemon to the pokemon center, and Cynthia was just awesome.

Anyway, what do the unown ruins translate to? I have the Japanese message as: FRIEND
SUBETE NO INOCHI HA
BETSU NO INOCHI TO DEAI
NANIKA WO UMIDASU

I think it has something to do with the space time legend.

Cassiel
20th July 2007, 1:08 PM
Dang, Paul is so unpredictable, he has.. Torterra? o.O;;

And I also heard that Chimchar is NOT his starter, Turtwig is

scissorX
20th July 2007, 1:12 PM
Prehaps the reason Pauls keeping Chimchar is because he knows somebody who has one and it was able to take down his Turtwig.. For all we know Paul could have loads of rivals, and being beaten by them could be what makes him so bitter.

rocky505
20th July 2007, 1:16 PM
dang you paul that torterra should be ash's turtwig in the future but turtwig might beat that torterra.I just noticed paul's torterra knows frenzy plant.

King Wulfharth
20th July 2007, 1:28 PM
looks like a cool episode i just hope someone posts it on youtube soon but meh it just aired yesterday so i doubt it'll be up

Crask
20th July 2007, 1:59 PM
What attacks did garchomp use to finish off murkrow and torterra and what did murkrow use against giga impact? I don't think I've seen them before.

Sushi
20th July 2007, 2:11 PM
VS. Murkrow: Giga Impact. Murkrow countered with Sky Attack.
VS. Torterra: Brick Break

It is true that Paul didn't expect to win the full fight against Cynthia, but he did want to take out at least Garchomp.

What he did was to use random Pokémon he didn't expect to beat it anyway, until Giga Impact would show up. He'd then take advantage of Garchomp being unable to move for a moment to have his Torterra drain its energy.

Also, he did participate in the respective leagues for the regions he travelled in, of course. He merely said that he has yet to win a tournament.

I guess I'll have to wait until I'm blue in the face for Takeda to be fired. Oh well, it was one of his better directed episodes I admit, but out of all characters, it was really only Cynthia who looked surprisingly good - with the rest being either acceptable or meh.

Speaking of Cynthia, she was very entertaining. We got to see many different sides from her, including a bit of what one wouldn't really expect from a "Champion character", like when it took her one hour (60 MINUTES!) to choose her ice cream flavor. I had to laugh at that. Would've never expected Team Rocket (especially Jessie) to have so much patience XD

I thought the script was good enough as a whole, but could they please stop having Ash greet Paul in a friendly way? I thought they had quit that after DP006, but then they did it again -_-

Not complaining about Ash defending Paul when he got laughed at (that was one of my favorite scenes in fact), but what the writers did was making Ash go all, "Uh..what the heck are YOU doing here?" in DP015, only convert back to a "yay friendz" attitude this time, which I'd definitely label as inconsistency.

Those kiddies in the background were funny and annoying at the same time. They made the same comments that I'd make if it hadn't been Paul who was battling Cynthia, but when they started laughing at him...no. Instead I started laughing when they went dead-silent the second Ash told them to shut up. Haha!

There was an awesome piece of music (which unfortunately played way too quiet IMO) when Paul calls out Torterra, I assume it's from the games...?

Anyway, what do the unown ruins translate to? I have the Japanese message as: FRIEND
SUBETE NO INOCHI HA
BETSU NO INOCHI TO DEAI
NANIKA WO UMIDASU
If you don't mind if I destroy the harmonic sounding text, here:
Friend
Every living being
Encounters other living beings
And gives birth to [originates] something

Or something. Cynthia additionally explained that whenever someone meets new people (or new Pokémon), those are going to change him/her in some way.

I'll definitely be happy whenever Cynthia is announced to come back, and the same goes for Paul obviously. I'm interested to see how his team will look like in the end.

mystkmastkal
20th July 2007, 2:13 PM
did croagunk stop his poison jab on brock or did he hit but no effect...like he has built up an imuneity

when i saw torterra i was like......."sigh"....."eh it's paul what do excpect".

cassius335
20th July 2007, 2:19 PM
Good ep.

Why didn't Shinji have Manyula get out of the way of that Dragon Dive? Manyula (ice-type) could have won that if it had just moved about a bit what a perfect waste of Double-type advantage. If Ash ever faces Shirona and Garchomop, I say Glalie all the way.

So Ash and Shinji have been battling about the same amount of time. Interesting. Wonder what Shinji has in reserve...

Gigaguy373
20th July 2007, 2:20 PM
seeing as paul has a torterra this probably means that ash's turtwig probably won's go through to his last evolution *sigh* unless there is a stupid torterra vs. torterra battle in the pokemon league

mystkmastkal
20th July 2007, 2:22 PM
i feel sorry for chimchar...

i think paul i such a grouche is maybe he has an older brother that messes with him or he just grew up getting bullied

mystkmastkal
20th July 2007, 2:25 PM
seeing as paul has a torterra this probably means that ash's turtwig probably won's go through to his last evolution *sigh* unless there is a stupid torterra vs. torterra battle in the pokemon league

dude what are you talking about that would be awesome!

frenzy plant vs. earthquake or leaf storm

dude i would make popcorn and a giant litter of mountain dew
and that day would be awesome!

pokemaster95
20th July 2007, 2:26 PM
Prehaps the reason Pauls keeping Chimchar is because he knows somebody who has one and it was able to take down his Turtwig.. For all we know Paul could have loads of rivals, and being beaten by them could be what makes him so bitter.

That could also be why he only wants strong types because He wants to beat them without having to stop every once in a while and train the ones he has.

Hyourinmaru
20th July 2007, 2:27 PM
Like when it took her one hour (60 MINUTES!) to choose her ice cream flavor.

It took her that long? xDDD

My liking of her has definetly been taken up another level, that's for sure xDDDD

Korobooshi Kojiro
20th July 2007, 2:31 PM
Or something. Cynthia additionally explained that whenever someone meets new people (or new Pokémon), those are going to change him/her in some way.
Sounds like she's describing Filler Episodes. XD

Garchomp owning a whole team is pretty much exactly what you can do with a Sword Dancer in the game.

mystkmastkal
20th July 2007, 2:36 PM
do you think ash will fight shirona?

i wonder if he'll win the championship this season...hmm

i would love to see him fight the elite 4!

Venusaur Master
20th July 2007, 3:19 PM
Definetly a great episode (cant speak japanese) Torterra and Garchomp were very impressive. what was the attack Garchomp used to finish off Torterra?

Dax
20th July 2007, 3:29 PM
Garchomp is pobably the only pokemon for me that looks extremely intimidating and since it defeated so many pokemons without problems then I can see why it's considered an uber.

gunnuthula
20th July 2007, 4:06 PM
Wow, that was a great and informational episode. It seems Paul wants to release his chimchar but for some reason cannot, may be a he is waiting for some worthy trainer to get it, thats why he is challanging Ash, so that 1 day he gets stronger and hands his chmchar to Ash. Or may be some emotional probles or bugging him as many told. Any way its great to know that he is not a beggining trainer, his torterra already knows frenzy plant, so that means he must have been having it from a long time. And its surprising to not see his elekid, it may be beacue he released it( most propably not) or that he already know that garchomp is part groung type. It would be great to know more about him, and i am waiting for more character bio's updates.

mystkmastkal
20th July 2007, 4:26 PM
Thanks man, thats a great help.

np im glad i got to watch the episode too :)

gunnuthula
20th July 2007, 4:48 PM
Wow, cant wait for the translations, Cynthia is like she knows all the pokemon in the world, ofcourse she is the champion, but .... she is different, strong and good looking :) .

Ashy Boy
20th July 2007, 5:02 PM
Did Paul learn anything in this ep?

mystkmastkal
20th July 2007, 5:04 PM
hmm maybe shirona had an impact on him..maybe not

reehee
20th July 2007, 5:04 PM
He did seem to learn something...at least hear about it...

I liked this episode. Seeing Garchomp battle was really interesting, though I would have preferred if Cynthia released another one of her PKM (at least showed it).

Also, the scene Cynthia buying ice cream from Team Rocket was quite interesting, too.

Alfonso
20th July 2007, 5:07 PM
Posting to the episodes directly is not allowed, so sorry guys but I had to delete your posts. ;_; As much as I like to watch said episodes themselves, especially one with an Elite Four member. You can still say you've found the episodes on Youtube and the like, and from there I'm sure people can PM/Find the episodes themselves so it's kinda like a nice loophole.

Not seen this episode yet, but finding out Shinji isn't a starting trainer but one that's travelled several regions before is interesting. I hope we get flashbacks to his previous adventures... like a flashback to Roxanne.

Possibly with no clothes on.

Anyway, not too keen on Cynthia myself at the moment, but this episode sounds good.

Ash6K
20th July 2007, 5:18 PM
This was an amazing episode and one of my favorites! Cynthia's charater was awesome. She wasn't a serious type of character and she had some humorous scenes (like picking out the ice cream).

Paul being an experienced trainer was also great to hear. It really makes you wonder what he did during the Kanto/Johto/Hoenn regions and what he caught to.

Now Croagunk in this episode stopping Poison Jab was priceless as well. Not to mention seeing Lucian and the Palkia/Dialga gems was cool too. So yeah, this is an awesome episode and I hope we get to see more from Paul and Cynthia.

dd1zzle
20th July 2007, 5:29 PM
how did Paul get Torterra...I thought that Ash was gonna get one

Kabuto
20th July 2007, 5:40 PM
Wow Torterra is powerful. I actually thought it might've had a chance of winning against Garchomp. So the other pokemon were just testing against Garchomps Battle style, right?

I felt bad for Chimchar *sniff*.I hope it gets treated right. I feel its been a bit shafted though. I hope the writers focus on it as much as Piplup and Turtwig.

Those kids in the background were idiots. I'd like to see them fare against the Champion.

Jonah
20th July 2007, 5:57 PM
If you don't mind if I destroy the harmonic sounding text, here:
Friend
Every living being
Encounters other living beings
And gives birth to [originates] something

Friendship
All lives touch other lives to create something anew and alive - Solcaeon Ruins

In other words, this is the same Unown text as in Solcaeon Ruins.

EDIT: Just saw the episode, and my previous statement still stands. This was EPIC.

And Cynthia-Croagunk interaction was AWESOME and FRIGGIN HILARIOUS.

aipom_fan
20th July 2007, 9:26 PM
I watch this episode. I learn that Paul is not a newbie and he been to Kanto, Jhoto, and Hoenn. I also learn that his starter was Turtwig. The battle was awesome. It's kind of hard to beleive that he a long term trainer. He treat pokmon so bad. Cynthia was awesome at battling. Her Garchomp was awesome. I love the battle. I just can't wait to watch in english. But I wonder what Paul did in the other regions?

Korobooshi Kojiro
20th July 2007, 9:39 PM
Someone mentioned the text on the Dialga and Palkia plaque was simmilar to a line in the games in the Solaceon ruins about Spiritomb (meeting people, 32 exactly, you get him) and since Cynthia has one in the games she's probably on her way to get one.

gunnuthula
20th July 2007, 9:58 PM
It would be great to know more about more of Pauls pokemons, and Ash's left behind pokemons like pidgeot, butterfree, primape and more, hope he atleat brings one back for his journey in shinou :).

Gravy
20th July 2007, 10:06 PM
There was an awesome piece of music (which unfortunately played way too quiet IMO) when Paul calls out Torterra, I assume it's from the games...?

It’s from the 8th movie Sushi, though it sort of jumps ahead from time to time. Y’know the part where everyone first encounters Regirock after bursts out from underground? It sort of plays the first couple of seconds from the piece, then sort of skips to the point where Registeel stomps on one of Kid’s ickle drill robots.
….Hmm. When someone is capable of pointing out something like that, you just know they’re a Grade ’A’ geek.

Anyhow, this one proved itself to be enjoyable.
I loved the battle, despite the fact that all it really amounted to were a bunch of quick knock-outs. It’s very rare to see a battle in the show where one side’s team faces complete decimation, and usually when it does happen, the methods that lead to the conclusion are often less than satisfactory. This time however, there was a rhyme and a reason for one side’s defeat, and as such it was believable. So props to the writers for handling that well. Especially Shinji’s reaction to Frenzy Plant being completely ineffective against Garchomp :P
I also like how, since we first met Shinji, it's become increasingly obvious that something is brewing between him and Hiko. He's the only pokémon we've seen Shinji openly scold on more than one occasion, inside and out of it's pokéball, so they've definitely building up to some sort of ~:exciting plot point:~. Hiko turning on Shinji? An event that brings trainer and pokémon together? I can't wait to see it unfold, even if it'll more than likely culminate into the dreaded 'nicening' of Shinji.

And damn. Sky Attack certainly was downgraded in the looks department. The move doesn’t exactly live up to it’s (original!) name. Speaking of which; Here’s to God Bird vs. Muku.GOD in the distant future.
Because I couldn't exit this thread without saying it ;) ~

mystkmastkal
21st July 2007, 12:55 AM
Posting to the episodes directly is not allowed, so sorry guys but I had to delete your posts. ;_; As much as I like to watch said episodes themselves, especially one with an Elite Four member. You can still say you've found the episodes on Youtube and the like, and from there I'm sure people can PM/Find the episodes themselves so it's kinda like a nice loophole.

Not seen this episode yet, but finding out Shinji isn't a starting trainer but one that's travelled several regions before is interesting. I hope we get flashbacks to his previous adventures... like a flashback to Roxanne.

Possibly with no clothes on.

Anyway, not too keen on Cynthia myself at the moment, but this episode sounds good.

sorry :( i didn't know it wasnt allowed

i just tought of doing something nice

mystkmastkal
21st July 2007, 12:58 AM
how did Paul get Torterra...I thought that Ash was gonna get one

just because he has a torterra doesnt mean ash cant get one

mystkmastkal
21st July 2007, 1:03 AM
It would be great to know more about more of Pauls pokemons, and Ash's left behind pokemons like pidgeot, butterfree, primape and more, hope he atleat brings one back for his journey in shinou :).

primape is in-training at some local fighting gym (not an official)

Laprashunter
21st July 2007, 1:35 AM
I usually don't watch RAW Japanese episodes because I don't understand a lick of Japanese but I really wanted to see Cynthia in action.

This is a really good episode mostly because I enjoyed watching Paul getting his a** handed to him by Cynthia! That cocky little rodent's ego must be really brusied. Who did he think he is sending a Chimchar, Weavile, and Murkrow against a Garchomp? Hello?! Her name is "champion" Cynthia for a reason.

Does anyone know what happened near the end with the clip on the television? I think it had something to do with the legendaries. I heard Dialga's name mentioned in that clip.

Korobooshi Kojiro
21st July 2007, 1:37 AM
I think they found the Lustrous Orb of Palkia, which is like the Adamant Orb (or really Dialga's Beach Volleyball) that's at Eterna Museum.

And Yuuka...alone. I was hoping we'd hear a "SUMIMASEN!" before it was all done and said, but I KNOW Sam Sumimasen will grace our presence soon.

pokemaster95
21st July 2007, 1:45 AM
Thanks for the link.

Bryon
21st July 2007, 1:49 AM
I gotta wonder too what else Paul has in his arsenal of Pokemon. Besides, it makes mroe sense that he beat Ash now, but I still wanna see Ash beat him.

It was good to see he is beatable, especially since his opponent was Cynthia. I kinda wonder what Cynthia was saying while tending to Paul's Pokemon.

Plus, Croagunk getting bashful when Cynthia looked at him; CLASSIC. :D Instant classic scene in the episode.

Bryon

AshfanGirl20
21st July 2007, 1:56 AM
Good episode indeed. Finding more info on Paul was great and the battles were awesome. I enjoyed it all around and can't wait for Paul to return.

Reign G
21st July 2007, 2:07 AM
I KNEW IT!I EFFING KNEW IT!

Ehem, sorry. But I just am so happy this episode proved everyone that thought Pual's a newbie wrong. He's been a trainer AT LEAST as long as Ahs has! And it ha sbeen confirmed now.

Em, er yeah. Yay Cyntiha and Garchomp!

Dax
21st July 2007, 2:25 AM
Was Garchomp female? I didn't notice the split in the dorsal fin that the male Garchomp has. Maybe I'm mistaken...

Juputoru
21st July 2007, 5:31 AM
So from what I've read and seen so far...

-Paul's more experienced than most people thought he was(finally, one of the ongoing arguments around here settled)
-Cynthia doesn't care if she potentially damages priceless ancient tablets by touching them with her bare hands after eating ice cream right next to them. Tsk tsk!
-Disrespect for priceless ancient writings aside, Cynthia taking an HOUR to decide what flavor of ice cream she wanted is priceless(but neither ancient nor writings on a tablet).
-See people, THERE'S that Murkrow you kept wanting to see every time Paul appeared! Happy now?
-Ash apparently sticks up for Paul when people laughed at him? I guess Ash is still a nice guy even towards his worst enemies. Not that that's news.
-Cynthia's Garchomp abuses Giga Impact in the anime almost as much as it does in the games. Amusing.
-That's twice now that Ash has just so happened to encounter an E4 member right after seeing them battle on TV. I do hope the writers think of new ways to introduce other E4 members this region, amusing as this could be if they kept with it.

Aldrius
21st July 2007, 7:29 AM
I think I'd buy the 'he was a trainer in other regions!' more if he had a different third-stage starter. Like a Swampert or something. But Torterra is an awesome pokemon so I am not complaining.

The battle-scene was okay, but I really like Shinji. And the context of the fight was neat. With Shinji trying so desperately to 'prove himself'. Obviously I couldn't understand what was going on, though. :P

I liked Garchomp too, and the thing felt really... serious. I dunno why. I do not watch much of the original so maybe it is from so much 4Kids exposure that I assume that Pokemon is silly even in a heated battle.

uber gon
21st July 2007, 11:03 AM
I'd love to see the vid of the kids laughing at Paul.

MechaBulba
21st July 2007, 11:40 AM
Cool so Paul has a Torterra!

I hope this means Ash won't now not evolve his neatle into one now! If so Neatle better still evolve into his 2nd stage!

I can't wait to see Ashs and Pauls final battle in the league! Maybe a Torterra vs Torterra Or Torterra vs Serpentile!

I kinda wish pual had not had a weavile as i HATE weavils look in the anime! He should of had a water type like a crawdaunt or something!

Finally its gd to see he still has old Ursuring!

pokemon rulez!!!!!
21st July 2007, 3:50 PM
This may seem very far out but I was thinking maybe Paul went into the future by Dialga and Paul stole Ash's Torterra in the future. You think?

CyberCubed
21st July 2007, 3:50 PM
This was a pretty great episode.

I'm actually going to be really annoyed if the writers don't have Ash win the Sinnoh league this time, because there is massive foreshadowing of him challenging the Elite 4...especially if the other three Elite's show up as well.

I really want to see Ash battle Cynthia as the conclusion of the D/P series, (and maybe even Ash's arc in general?), and it would be a fantastic final match to watch.

Venusaur Master
21st July 2007, 3:51 PM
awesome episode with indepth story

dd1zzle
21st July 2007, 4:17 PM
what was that attack that Garchomp's blades were glowing and it attacked Torterra?

pokemon rulez!!!!!
21st July 2007, 4:20 PM
I just thought of something. If Paul been to all the regions like Ash then I figure Paul must be the old rival from G/S. He even looks like him!

http://pokemonelite2000.com/gsctrainer08.gif

See what I mean!

SOS! Its Not Healthy..
21st July 2007, 4:27 PM
This episode surprised me, and yes my intentions about Paul is he is not a newbie, thank u! Lots of people who now drawing the conclusion that its broken, omg Ash Turwig won't evolve or Paul abandon Chimchar rumors strarting, I'm not jumping to it right now. Since anything could still happen at this point.

Cynthia character was interesting, she showed she could be your everyday person who stills enjoys anything like everyone else which I like about.

The battle was insane, her Garchomp was like a uber POkemon, but in this episode it looked like it was Paul's turn to learn a lesson.

And wow, a elite and champion around about 6 episodes is something new here.

FireHead Hank
21st July 2007, 4:38 PM
Great episode.

I'm so glad that we finally got to see Paul's Murkrow.

The battle was awesome. Garchomp looks cool in the anime, as well as Torterra. I hope all the elites show up in the anime.

Prominence
21st July 2007, 5:00 PM
YEAH Garchomp and Torterra, two of my favourite Pokémon making their Animé appearance!:D Garchomp looks very cool and Frenzy Plant on Garchomp was nice too:P

CabbyFish
21st July 2007, 6:33 PM
This was a really nice episode.

Good Points:
-Cynthia's voice was so cute, yet quite soothing at times. Let's hope they keep her voice similar in the English version.
-Garchomp is so powerful. He even knows how to block an attack like Frenzy Plant wihout even Cynthia telling it to. Major props.
-This is the first time we see Giga Drain in the anime, and it was wicked too. Poor Garchomp.
-Cynthia's so delightful and upbeat, and in battle she is so calm and controlling. This champion really knows how to work herself.
-We get to finally see Paul's entire team for the moment (minus Elekid from episode 3). Paul could've did much better with Weavile if he wanted to.
-Team Rocket are acually running a legitamite business (ice cream stand) with Cynthia buys mercindice (ice cream) from it? That's a plus even for them.

This episode really deserves 10 stars. The only downside is that I don't know a word of Japanese, but as I don't bother to try to understand what's going on through what they're saying, it doesn't really distract the enjoyment of the episode.

Alfonso
21st July 2007, 8:16 PM
*didn't yell at anyone for posting up links to the episode, just pointed out a rule and even said sorry* :/

Seriously, we all know where to watch the episode, and we all do it just a matter of using common sense.

I'm thinking that Shinji is the representation of Silver that we never got to see apart from the intro to the Raikou Special. It's definatly not him, the hair colour and face are different and Silver started out in Johto anyway. Well, we assume he did. Their teams are similar also, Shinji using token 'Dark' looking Pokemon, only caring about Pokemon that are strong, etc. Hence why we should have had Silver back in Johto- How awesome would that have made the series?

Not too keen on Cynthia. :< She's the token upbeat, happy girl but can be cool and mysterious when she wants to be. I dunno, that just irks me.

I'm looking forward to Aaron though.

Dark Cacturne
21st July 2007, 9:29 PM
Well, I have seen the episode, and I expected more of this one. Just because, when there was came a preview, there was a lot of commotion around here. In this episode all our questions were answered: Does paul really has a torterra? Why does he has that wicked smile on his face? Well, he has indeed a torterra, the pokemon I didn't expected that he would have. But yeah, what to do about it. Afterall, it was cool to see Cynthia, and she really is the pokémon champion, never seen such a sweet winning. I'm glad Paul lost finally, too bad Ash didn't battle, maybe next time.

Strong Garchomp dudette! Nice murkrow dude!

BTW that Giga Impact was very impressive, just awesome!

flaremaster
21st July 2007, 9:33 PM
The battle was insane, her Garchomp was like a uber POkemon, but in this episode it looked like it was Paul's turn to learn a lesson.
I'll bet he didn't though.
If it goes out like Lance's victory over Silver, Paul might actually change.

Team Rocket are acually running a legitamite business (ice cream stand) with Cynthia buys mercindice (ice cream) from it? That's a plus even for them.
Yeah but where did they get that ice cream?

What bugs me is what Cynthia said.
What did she say?

Overall it's was a great episode.

Jonah
22nd July 2007, 3:52 AM
When I first saw Paul, my reaction was "OMG! It's the GSC Rival!"

I still think that now. Paul is a Silver clone. Silver is awesome. Therefore, Paul is awesome. But that's one thing we already knew.

Dax
22nd July 2007, 4:03 AM
Yeah, we've been hearing that a lot. ^_^'

The one thing I didn't like is that Ash's pokemons didn't appear in the episode. I just thought that it would be cooler if Ash's pokemons watched the battle. Not something to take into consideration to judge the episode,though.

Cynthia and the Ice cream = Cuteness.

uber gon
22nd July 2007, 9:08 AM
This was a really nice episode.

Good Points:
-Cynthia's voice was so cute, yet quite soothing at times. Let's hope they keep her voice similar in the English version.
-Garchomp is so powerful. He even knows how to block an attack like Frenzy Plant wihout even Cynthia telling it to. Major props.
-This is the first time we see Giga Drain in the anime, and it was wicked too. Poor Garchomp.
-Cynthia's so delightful and upbeat, and in battle she is so calm and controlling. This champion really knows how to work herself.
-We get to finally see Paul's entire team for the moment (minus Elekid from episode 3). Paul could've did much better with Weavile if he wanted to.
-Team Rocket are acually running a legitamite business (ice cream stand) with Cynthia buys mercindice (ice cream) from it? That's a plus even for them.

This episode really deserves 10 stars. The only downside is that I don't know a word of Japanese, but as I don't bother to try to understand what's going on through what they're saying, it doesn't really distract the enjoyment of the episode.

Wait, that attack Torterra used was GIGA DRAIN? I thought it was a bad *** version of grass knot.

Kazuki Mirai
22nd July 2007, 9:49 AM
Excuse me, what was that last attack that Garchomp used against Torterra? I hear Dig against Chimchar, Dragon Rush against Weavile, Giga Impact against Murkrow, but what was that glowing blade thing against Torterra? Slash? It kind of remind me of Sceptile's Leaf Blade. O.o

Shadow Warrior
22nd July 2007, 10:06 AM
A nice episode.

Prominence
22nd July 2007, 11:20 AM
Excuse me, what was that last attack that Garchomp used against Torterra? I hear Dig against Chimchar, Dragon Rush against Weavile, Giga Impact against Murkrow, but what was that glowing blade thing against Torterra? Slash? It kind of remind me of Sceptile's Leaf Blade. O.o

I thought:

Dig against Chimchar.
Giga Impact against Weavile.
Giga Impact against Murkrow.
Dragon Rush against Torterra.

I don't speak Japanese, so I might be wrong. I hope we will be able to watch the English version as well...

Venusaur Master
22nd July 2007, 12:04 PM
it could be dragon claw that garchomp used on torterra

Kazuki Mirai
22nd July 2007, 12:09 PM
I thought:

Dig against Chimchar.
Giga Impact against Weavile.
Giga Impact against Murkrow.
Dragon Rush against Torterra.

I don't speak Japanese, so I might be wrong. I hope we will be able to watch the English version as well...

I hear her command "Dragon Dive" against Weavile, I imply that it's the Japanese name of Dragon Rush. O.o

El D
22nd July 2007, 12:13 PM
What I want to know is: How the hell did Pau get a Torterra? I thought Chimchar was his starter. (sorry but I don't really watch much of the japanese episodes and none of theSinnoh episodes are in England yet.) But where can I see this episode in video form? All I saw was the ictures posted on Serebii. Any help appreciated.

Gravy
22nd July 2007, 12:20 PM
Excuse me, what was that last attack that Garchomp used against Torterra?

It was Brick Break aka. 'Kawara Wari'.

crawdauntpro
22nd July 2007, 7:26 PM
What I want to know is: How the hell did Pau get a Torterra? I thought Chimchar was his starter. (sorry but I don't really watch much of the japanese episodes and none of theSinnoh episodes are in England yet.) But where can I see this episode in video form? All I saw was the ictures posted on Serebii. Any help appreciated.

Turtwig was Paul's starter, and he's been to Hoenn, Kanto and Johto as well, according to the scripting from what other people have been saying.

dd1zzle
22nd July 2007, 7:52 PM
wait if Paul had his Torterra sine it was a Turtwig then why not use it in the battle against Roark?

Alfonso
22nd July 2007, 9:23 PM
wait if Paul had his Torterra sine it was a Turtwig then why not use it in the battle against Roark?

Probably because he wanted to train up Chimchar since Torterra is powerful enough as it is, but Chimchar he seems to want to push as hard as he can to make it into a fighting machine.

Or something, I dunno.

dd1zzle
23rd July 2007, 3:29 AM
Chimchar should ditch Paul

xXBloodstainedLieXx
23rd July 2007, 3:50 AM
Paul deserved to lose. Plus if I was there, I would beat the crap out of him for treating his chimchar like that.

uber gon
23rd July 2007, 4:43 AM
Paul deserved to lose. Plus if I was there, I would beat the crap out of him for treating his chimchar like that.

Meh, a lot of kids have parents like that in the U.S. There are days where my parents make Paul equal to Ash.

Besides, Paul isn't THAT bad.

diamond trainer
23rd July 2007, 6:26 AM
Good twist to the story with paul not being a beginner trainer. Now I feel paul is a better rival for ash.

uber gon
23rd July 2007, 6:28 AM
Good twist to the story with paul not being a beginner trainer. Now I feel paul is a better rival for ash.

Which really makes you wonder why people say Paul sucks.

09Murphym
23rd July 2007, 1:38 PM
did they explain why paul's traveling through sinnoh now?

chorusco
23rd July 2007, 1:41 PM
How Did Paul Get A Toteria ( Sorry If I Cant Spell It) Did He Catch A Turtwig And Suddenly Train it Really Fast.

Mew2
23rd July 2007, 1:49 PM
Paul's original starter was a Turtwig, which has since evolved into a Torterra. He has gone through the Kanto/Johto/Hoenn regions and has (I think) come back to Sinnoh to try the league again (if he tried it the first time). Chances are he is at least as old as Ash, and likely older.

uber gon
24th July 2007, 9:10 AM
Paul's original starter was a Turtwig, which has since evolved into a Torterra. He has gone through the Kanto/Johto/Hoenn regions and has (I think) come back to Sinnoh to try the league again (if he tried it the first time). Chances are he is at least as old as Ash, and likely older.

Paul's gonna get beat so bad.

mustbe18toryde
24th July 2007, 1:56 PM
For people who didn't see it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=MqlprWNCLNQ.

Note: I didn't post on youtube.

gunnuthula
24th July 2007, 3:40 PM

I dont think u r allowed to post links here.*reading through the preveous pages* Nope!

uber gon
25th July 2007, 4:46 AM

Saw it, it's pretty good.

133tSneasel
25th July 2007, 5:02 AM

Paul seems to be a better gary. IMO. He has the exact opposite strategy that Ash does, so he does make a good rival. But if Paul lost in the other regions, and Ash made it too the Finals, Ash must be better. Despite pauls street smarts, and book smarts. Ash just seems to have a lot of dumb luck. (seems like a characteristic for a hero, right?)

AshfanGirl20
25th July 2007, 5:37 AM
Paul seems to be a better gary. IMO. He has the exact opposite strategy that Ash does, so he does make a good rival. But if Paul lost in the other regions, and Ash made it too the Finals, Ash must be better. Despite pauls street smarts, and book smarts. Ash just seems to have a lot of dumb luck. (seems like a characteristic for a hero, right?)

Oooh you make good points. I can't wait for the leauge becuase Ash is going to show Paul.

Grilo
25th July 2007, 10:08 AM
I wish they could show more about Cynthia and the E4.
She's a awesome character.

uber gon
25th July 2007, 11:52 AM
I wish they could show more about Cynthia and the E4.
She's a awesome character.

There are future episodes.

Kazuki Mirai
25th July 2007, 1:29 PM
We just better hope that they won't screw her over like they did with Steven.

Treecko Girl
25th July 2007, 1:42 PM
I liked this episode, I liked the way Cynthia creamed Paul's team with her cute Garchomp. That should have curshed his crappy attitude a little. I was surprised to hear that Chimchar wasn't Paul's starter, like most thought, but Turtwig was! Where did that come from? Hasn't Paul even travelled through Kanto, Johto and Hoenn aswell?!
I guess Paul's older than I thought he was...

Venusaur Master
25th July 2007, 1:43 PM
Steven was barely in the anime

mustbe18toryde
25th July 2007, 6:09 PM

Paul could've gotten better since then.

Prominence
25th July 2007, 9:26 PM
Steven was barely in the anime

Yeah, that stinked. I'd love to see Aggron some more :) I hope we see a flashback episode, explaining some things about Paul. (When his Turtwig evolved and such.) I think Paul has some kind of an emotional problem, his mommy probably didn't like him much. Or his father told him it's all about power. I'm psychic :P

Ivancapp
25th July 2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah, that stinked. I'd love to see Aggron some more :) I hope we see a flashback episode, explaining some things about Paul. (When his Turtwig evolved and such.) I think Paul has some kind of an emotional problem, his mommy probably didn't like him much. Or his father told him it's all about power. I'm psychic :P

Ya dude, thats what i thought, he maight have been raised in a different atmosphere than normal people, or he travelled with a guy or a girl like "silver or ceystal" i dont remember correctly.

uber gon
26th July 2007, 10:40 AM
I liked this episode, I liked the way Cynthia creamed Paul's team with her cute Garchomp. That should have curshed his crappy attitude a little. I was surprised to hear that Chimchar wasn't Paul's starter, like most thought, but Turtwig was! Where did that come from? Hasn't Paul even travelled through Kanto, Johto and Hoenn aswell?!
I guess Paul's older than I thought he was...

Garchomp...CUTE!?!

CabbyFish
26th July 2007, 9:33 PM
Wait, that attack Torterra used was GIGA DRAIN? I thought it was a bad *** version of grass knot.

Oh yeah, there was no healing glow. I don't really know the Japanese names for any of the attacks so seeing the way Garchomp was attacked, I assumed it was Giga Drain. I guess I was wrong.

Blaziryu
28th July 2007, 11:28 PM
Shinji's the man. If Ash fought her, none of his PKMN wouldn't even get a chance to attack.

Prominence
1st August 2007, 6:32 PM
Shinji's the man. If Ash fought her, none of his PKMN wouldn't even get a chance to attack.

l0l, Pikachu would knock out Garchomp by Thunderbolting his tail.

I wonder why Paul's Chimchar hasn't evolved yet?

Kaim_Fabuyashi
1st August 2007, 6:47 PM
I wonder if there will actually be and E4 not a tournament but so far its looking good that ash may win something this time around if he can beat Paul.

~Kaim

SBaby
1st August 2007, 7:07 PM
Before I start, I'll just say one thing. I'm using the dub names, because those are the names I know the characters as.

I think this episode ruined the entire season though. I mean, yeah Paul was finally defeated, but there's a major problem with it. And before I go on with it, I'll just say that Paul is (was) one of my favorite D/P characters.

He was beaten by a miscellaneous character. Kind of like how Gary was beaten by MewTwo. So, what's the point of Ash even BOTHERING with the guy now? Any victory he wins over Paul won't be a big deal anymore.

The worst thing you can do in an ongoing plot is to have someone else (especially a miscellaneous token character) beat the hero's main rival before he does. It renders the hero's upcoming victory trivial at best.

But one thing I've always admired about Nintendo is their ability to take an unimportant, probably one-time character and make them out to be a major hero, even though nobody's even MENTIONED them up until this point, even in the Region that they're supposedly famous in. Either the people of the Poke-World have a seriously bad case of ADD or Alzheimers kicks in at the age of 10. But I'm still not ruling out Hormone Inhibitors as a probable cause.

Korobooshi Kojiro
1st August 2007, 7:52 PM
She's the friggen E4 Champion.

CyberCubed
1st August 2007, 8:18 PM
She's the friggen E4 Champion.

Agreed. Same thing with Gary being beat by Mewtwo.

And Drew got beaten by freakin' Grace of all people and that didn't "ruin" the aspect of May beating him at the end of AG.

zeno48
1st August 2007, 9:07 PM
Oooh you make good points. I can't wait for the leauge becuase Ash is going to show Paul.

Yeah Ash is going to show Paul how to lose lol at this rate lol.

uber gon
4th August 2007, 8:08 AM
Yeah Ash is going to show Paul how to lose lol at this rate lol.

Well, maybe the writers will bring back Glalie. Frankly, I miss the little demon.

uber gon
4th August 2007, 8:11 AM
Oh yeah, there was no healing glow. I don't really know the Japanese names for any of the attacks so seeing the way Garchomp was attacked, I assumed it was Giga Drain. I guess I was wrong.

I hope so. No offence.

Maestro Kinético
4th August 2007, 9:02 PM
Back from holidays. As always they have to make the episode bad when there was no need. Seeing Dotaitos this early was the worst thing they could have done, it's sensless and all the emotion is gone. It makes Shinji a very unrealistic character. Appart from that the epsiode wasn't special, it's me or less things happen in the episodes nowadays? In the past there was a story in each episode with well developed characters and lots of different environments.

S.Suikun
4th August 2007, 10:46 PM
Holy crap, Maestro, I thought you vanished off the face of the planet! (though maybe it was just wishful thinking, who knows) We missed you greatly. It's very good to have you back, as this place was seriously unfunny and UN-DRAMATIC without you.

Now that the sappy re-introduction is out of the way, what in the blazes does Dotaitos have to do with "emotion"? What emotion? The fact that you said it makes Shinji an unrealistic character makes me believe that you missed the part where we finally confirmed that Shinji is NOT a beginner, as Torterra is his starter and he has actually traveled to kanto, Johto, and Hoenn. Or you just choose to ignore details.

Gravy
4th August 2007, 11:03 PM
And you guys have the nerve to call me funny? Ingrates!

Oh! Oh! Maestro, you should totally try to rip the ravioli stuffing out of the 'Pikachu in Charge' episode. But as a word of warning; The sheer childishness will make you drop a deuce.
….Though I guess it'd be a nice change to have it come out somewhere other than the pie-hole?

Staying on topic: Oh snap, Cynthia had a GARCHOMP?! When the hell did that hap- sorry - TRANSPIRE?!

Almighty Zard
5th August 2007, 5:54 AM
Well, maybe the writers will bring back Glalie. Frankly, I miss the little demon.

If Weavile couldn't damage Garchomp chances are Glalie won't either should Ash ever fight her.

The fact that you said it makes Shinji an unrealistic character makes me believe that you missed the part where we finally confirmed that Shinji is NOT a beginner, as Torterra is his starter and he has actually traveled to kanto, Johto, and Hoenn.

I do like the fact he's been established as an experianced trainer, and it now makes that tie battle he first had with Ash more believeable, but I am not happy with him possesing Torterra, and they didn't need to give him that.

Maestro Kinético
6th August 2007, 1:16 PM
Holy crap, Maestro, I thought you vanished off the face of the planet! (though maybe it was just wishful thinking, who knows) We missed you greatly. It's very good to have you back, as this place was seriously unfunny and UN-DRAMATIC without you.

Now that the sappy re-introduction is out of the way, what in the blazes does Dotaitos have to do with "emotion"? What emotion? The fact that you said it makes Shinji an unrealistic character makes me believe that you missed the part where we finally confirmed that Shinji is NOT a beginner, as Torterra is his starter and he has actually traveled to kanto, Johto, and Hoenn. Or you just choose to ignore details.

Precisely that's why its unreaslitic, he took Turtwig as a starter and instead of fighting against Shinou leaders he went to...Kanto? Hoenn? Does not make sense. And of course it takes the emotion, seeing both trainers train their starter Pokemon so they would fight in the end had its em otion, now Shinji has a 3rd stage while Ash has a Turtwig. They ruined the whole plot.

Korobooshi Kojiro
6th August 2007, 1:50 PM
This is an extremely bittersweet and akward moment.

But honestly...what does emotion have to do with anything? Paul still has his Chimchar which they've been building up as Turtwig's rival.

Almighty Zard
6th August 2007, 7:06 PM
Paul still has his Chimchar which they've been building up as Turtwig's rival.

Which pretty much was negated the moment Torterra came out(since now people think there will be a Torterra vs Torterra fight, which i doubt), they didn't have to give Paul that thing, and now Ash's Turtwig is pretty much cheated out of becoming one, heck it may not even evolve now period.

neptune_84
6th August 2007, 8:53 PM
I cant help but think that when paul revealed his ;389; that later in the show ash's ;387; will evolve into a ;388; and eventually battle pauls ;389; and evolve into a ;389; and ash will finally kick pauls butt.

uber gon
8th August 2007, 11:15 PM
I cant help but think that when paul revealed his ;389; that later in the show ash's ;387; will evolve into a ;388; and eventually battle pauls ;389; and evolve into a ;389; and ash will finally kick pauls butt.

Well, what attack could Ash's (eventual, maybe) Torterra learn to beat Paul's Torterra? GRASS KNOT, perhaps.

Kenpachi
8th August 2007, 11:50 PM
Well, what attack could Ash's (eventual, maybe) Torterra learn to beat Paul's Torterra? GRASS KNOT, perhaps.
I would personally beat Ash over the head if he tries to fight Paul's ;389; with anythin other than Torcoal or ;006; when they get to the league.

uber gon
12th August 2007, 9:19 AM
I would personally beat Ash over the head if he tries to fight Paul's ;389; with anythin other than Torcoal or ;006; when they get to the league.

Well what about;362;?

If it learned AVALANCHE, it'd be unstoppable.

MasterLucario
12th August 2007, 6:07 PM
what were Garchomps moves? I thought I saw Dragon Rush and Steel Wing

Rudoku
12th August 2007, 7:42 PM
what were Garchomps moves? I thought I saw Dragon Rush and Steel Wing

It used Dig and Brick Break, too.

Dax
12th August 2007, 8:16 PM
Well what about;362;?

If it learned AVALANCHE, it'd be unstoppable.

I agree. Torterra has a x4 Ice Weakness and a x2 Fire Weakness. The best and most intelligent choice would be to chose Glalie.

uber gon
16th August 2007, 9:51 AM
I agree. Torterra has a x4 Ice Weakness and a x2 Fire Weakness. The best and most intelligent choice would be to chose Glalie.

That, and he's so cool (literally.) I mean, the writers could give him SHEER COLD, Glalie blasts Torterra, freeze and instant win for Ash.

MasterLucario
16th August 2007, 3:30 PM
It used Dig and Brick Break, too.

Cyntheias?

uber gon
16th August 2007, 10:23 PM
Cyntheias?

Yeah, it was Cynthia's Garchomp.

Aldrius
5th September 2007, 2:43 AM
Yeah, that stinked. I'd love to see Aggron some more I hope we see a flashback episode, explaining some things about Paul. (When his Turtwig evolved and such.) I think Paul has some kind of an emotional problem, his mommy probably didn't like him much. Or his father told him it's all about power. I'm psychic :P

He was obviously a trainer like Ash who got his rear kicked and decided to be tougher.

I noticed something today that I think might just be me going crazy... but does Shinji resemble Hunter J? I mean they're not like twins or anything, but their facial shapes are similar.

Anyway, watched the episode. It could have been better but the battle was pretty sweet. Just wish that we could have seen more of Cynthia's pokemon.

Anyway, here's to seeing Cynthia again. Perhaps possibly with Shinji again...

Can anyone tell me what she said to Shinji when they were in the Pokemon Centre? Just after she was healing his Torterra?

uber gon
5th September 2007, 4:10 AM
He was obviously a trainer like Ash who got his rear kicked and decided to be tougher.

I noticed something today that I think might just be me going crazy... but does Shinji resemble Hunter J? I mean they're not like twins or anything, but their facial shapes are similar.

Anyway, watched the episode. It could have been better but the battle was pretty sweet. Just wish that we could have seen more of Cynthia's pokemon.

Anyway, here's to seeing Cynthia again. Perhaps possibly with Shinji again...

Can anyone tell me what she said to Shinji when they were in the Pokemon Centre? Just after she was healing his Torterra?

Don't know, but it probably has something to do about how he treats his pokémon.

Bliksem
6th September 2007, 2:56 PM
Precisely that's why its unreaslitic, he took Turtwig as a starter and instead of fighting against Shinou leaders he went to...Kanto? Hoenn? Does not make sense. And of course it takes the emotion, seeing both trainers train their starter Pokemon so they would fight in the end had its em otion, now Shinji has a 3rd stage while Ash has a Turtwig. They ruined the whole plot.
Sinnoh's gym leaders seem to be, on average, more challenging than any of the other regions. It's fully possible, and this is just pure rationalizing that the writer's probably didn't even consider, that Paul decided to travel first before conquering his home region's league. There's no rule that states that Pokemon trainers HAVE to participate in certain regions at certain times.

As for Paul owning a Torterra, it's bittersweet for me. I love Torterra, and seeing one in the anime makes me happy; however, I was hoping that Ash would be the one to own it because I'd like to how he copes using a slow-moving Pokemon that DOESN'T have a shell to turtle up in.

uber gon
7th September 2007, 9:46 PM
Sinnoh's gym leaders seem to be, on average, more challenging than any of the other regions. It's fully possible, and this is just pure rationalizing that the writer's probably didn't even consider, that Paul decided to travel first before conquering his home region's league. There's no rule that states that Pokemon trainers HAVE to participate in certain regions at certain times.

As for Paul owning a Torterra, it's bittersweet for me. I love Torterra, and seeing one in the anime makes me happy; however, I was hoping that Ash would be the one to own it because I'd like to how he copes using a slow-moving Pokemon that DOESN'T have a shell to turtle up in.

We'll see Ash with a Torterra. Not anytime soon, but someday.

leafblade16
18th September 2007, 12:57 AM
I don't care about Paul, all I know is that Cynthia is gonna own him! W00T for Cynthia!

uber gon
18th September 2007, 8:54 PM
I don't care about Paul, all I know is that Cynthia is gonna own him! W00T for Cynthia!

She's the E4 champion of the Sinnoh region, what'd you expect?

nintendoGBA
21st September 2007, 8:58 AM
I think Cynthia will win Paul because it is too hard to beat;244;

bigpop618
21st September 2007, 8:32 PM
She's the E4 champion of the Sinnoh region, what'd you expect?

well.....you would never know if they were gonna show Paul's strength..or Cynthia's....so I had to see the battle

uber gon
22nd September 2007, 1:50 AM
well.....you would never know if they were gonna show Paul's strength..or Cynthia's....so I had to see the battle

Yeah, you've got a point there.

poketim21
4th December 2007, 9:01 PM
Garchomp used Dig against chimchar, Dragon Rush on Weavile, Giga Impact on Murkrow, and Brick Break on Torterra.

Durden
4th December 2007, 9:14 PM
Can't wait for the dub. Only some days left now..

uber gon
5th December 2007, 5:02 PM
Can't wait for the dub. Only some days left now..

It's 2 more days in the US.

DiamondFalzerRed
8th December 2007, 5:23 AM
I can1t believe after all this time Torterra was actullay Paul`s Starter and I thought it was Chimchar

DiamondFalzerRed
8th December 2007, 5:26 AM

Blaziryu
8th December 2007, 7:45 PM
This episode was just great. Even though Shinji got completely owned by Cythina, he still put up a good fight. Ash should definitely learn something from this battle.

lance+cynthia
8th December 2007, 8:15 PM
when will the episode be up on youtube?

WaterDragon trainer
8th December 2007, 11:29 PM
This episode was great. It was cool to see a Garchomp and a Torterra. Seeing Dragon Rush and Giga Drain in the anime was also cool. It was a little funny when Croagunk stopped his Poison Jabbing of Brock when Cynthia made eye contact with him. It was also cool that the Palkia/Dialga legend was a little more looked into. I felt bad for Chimchar and I think Paul was really inconsiderate.

turtle twig
9th December 2007, 12:18 AM
So what nasty things did Paul say in this episode? I am always curious, and its not on YouTube yet.

Durden
9th December 2007, 2:23 AM
This was a great episode!

- LOL at Murkrow's dub voice. I have to admit, I laughed my *** off. It sounded so bad that it was funny..seriously PUSA..

- On the bright side, Torterra's, Weavile's and Cynthia's dub voices were perfect.

- Ash sounded like a girl. WTH have the VA done? Yes he sounded like a girl through the whole episode.. a little deeper voice please? Seriously.

- Nice to see Paul again. 20 episodes since Oreburgh.. now only 9 episodes until we'll see him again in the dub!

Over and out, a good episode but with some bad voice acting.

Dax
9th December 2007, 4:04 AM
I didn't know this was in Amity Square and I was waiting for an episode with Amity Square. Did they mention it was in Amity Square in the original?

RageKaiser
9th December 2007, 4:32 AM
-Unown's message on the tablet Cynthia is touching remain's untranslated :D

-And I do approve of her voice, very much.

- LOL @ the valley girl in the audience "He can't just challenge the champion like that"

- *sigh* I guess the bad dex music had to return sometime --;

-I can't tell if Garchomp kept it's japanese voice or not..

-I must point out how much I hate PUSA's dub music, It's just annoying and stands out every time you hear it.

Btw, James's little uh "Will you stop with the fire jokes?!" the word is puns, and all puns EVERYWHERE need to stop.

Dogasu
9th December 2007, 8:40 AM
when will the episode be up on youtube?

Who the hell cares? The episode will be rerun next weekend anyway.

Did they mention it was in Amity Square in the original?

Nope.

uber gon
9th December 2007, 8:59 AM
This episode was great. It was cool to see a Garchomp and a Torterra. Seeing Dragon Rush and Giga Drain in the anime was also cool. It was a little funny when Croagunk stopped his Poison Jabbing of Brock when Cynthia made eye contact with him. It was also cool that the Palkia/Dialga legend was a little more looked into. I felt bad for Chimchar and I think Paul was really inconsiderate.

Just wait until the penultimate episode of the tag battle arc, apparently you'll hate Paul's gut after watching the episode. However, you'll love what happens to Chimchar.:)

Corzola
9th December 2007, 11:42 AM
It was an interesting episode. You got to see what it really takes to become a Champion/Master. Pauls match was cool, he is after all a pretty good trainer but was destroyed completly by Cynthia. Maybe she (and Lucien) are the best trainers we have seen in the entire Pokemon series. And I liked that we got to see how different Ash and Paul is.

I also think it is good that we see other people besides Ash to fight E4 trainers, to see something else than Ash fighting, losing and learn a lesson of some kind. Both Dawns match with Lucien and Pauls with Cynthia provided that.

TR made a short stealing attemt, not taking a huge place in the plot other than speaking in the background, was great. They had not to much to do in this plot and thus did little. Having them fight a 3 minute battle had been pointless. Better than to reduce them to the quick escape scene and blasting off part. And for once they acted rational, other than ambush the gang (which would have no chance of succes with Cynthia around) they tried to sneak in, take a Pokemon and run for it. Reduced screen time for TR or eps with them in focus is good, and not the pointless try to steal Pikachu.

Overall a good ep, 8/10.

King Of Steel
9th December 2007, 11:55 AM
Cynthia sounded great in this episode. This episode totally surpassed my expectations. The battle was great, albeit one-sided, and overall, the episode was dubbed quite well.

I liked Cynthia's easy-going and kinda laid-back personality.

Blazios
9th December 2007, 1:47 PM
Nice to see a special sweeper Torterra. I also never knew that a tree could get a fever.

And is it me, or does EVERYONE in Sinnoh have a different way of saying "Go!" or "I choose you!?"

Darkness Angel
9th December 2007, 6:13 PM
I'm liking Cynthia and would like to see her to appear again down the road. Plus I enjoyed watching her battle with Paul.

Rebeccag
9th December 2007, 6:43 PM
lol i know what you know about mukrows voice it is kinda weird. However i did like cynthas voice i thought it was kinda cool. It was good to see Pauls three pokemon that we havent seen yet. I also liked the bit where cyntha was agonising over the ice cream that was also funny. I also liked pauls respect for cynthia when she told him to go to the pokemon centre. I also felt sorry for chimchar when paul was nasty to it but loled when chimchar set jessie and james on fire

Dax
9th December 2007, 8:34 PM
Cynthis has a very subtle and funny personality. It works perfectly.

uber gon
9th December 2007, 11:45 PM
lol i know what you know about mukrows voice it is kinda weird. However i did like cynthas voice i thought it was kinda cool. It was good to see Pauls three pokemon that we havent seen yet. I also liked the bit where cyntha was agonising over the ice cream that was also funny. I also liked pauls respect for cynthia when she told him to go to the pokemon centre. I also felt sorry for chimchar when paul was nasty to it but loled when chimchar set jessie and james on fire

You'll feel even more sorry about Chimchar in the future.

Anyway, anyone think it was bad*** when Cynthia called Garchomp?

Cobalt_Latios
10th December 2007, 1:12 AM
What a great episode. Didn't watch till this morning however, but nonetheless, still very good. There were some very interesting moments here, but some of them I feel I shall use my computer to provide the pics better understanding. But, for some I think I'll stick to the words.

Firstly, I know this might sound odd, but I do believe there is a chronological error in this episode. Now, the only way this would not have been is if the battle they were watching was in fact a rerun(which would make more sense). Because, if not, then how exactly would she just be becoming the Champion then, when Lucian about 4 or so episodes back (An Elite meet and Greet) mentioned that she was already Champion?

Aside from that, I found this incredibly entertaining. For the first time ever PUSA got a voice right for once. The voice they used for Cynthia not only fits her age, but it fits her perfectly. Although, I did detect Dawn's voice in her's which makes me think that's Dawn's voice actress voicing her.

The battle was a pretty neat little segment. I liked how Team Rocket mentions that she had issues deciding what she wanted for ice cream but made an instantaneous decision to battle Paul. Also, I'm beginning to notice that every major character seems to say their own unique line when sending out their Pokémon. Cynthia's is "battle stance". Now, I was wondering why even though he said a '6 on 6' battle, yet he only used 5. Then I remembered that Elekid was an electric type. So it seems to writers are smart enough to make sure a Pokémon doesn't unintentionally get pwned simply by type.

Possibly the most unexpected twist, was when Ash actually defends Paul when everyone begins mocking him for losing to Cynthia. Of course, it's only because he's discovered a newfound 'respect' for him, so that at least puts it into perspective.

Heck, even Cynthia is 'appalled' by Paul(:D) when he decides against going to the Pokémon Center.

Before I finish this off, check this for me:

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/6827/nve00259cc9.th.png (http://img252.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nve00259cc9.png)

Does anyone know what this says?(no I know what the words are, I just can't translate it).

~C_L~

P13
10th December 2007, 8:10 AM
Firstly, I know this might sound odd, but I do believe there is a chronological error in this episode. Now, the only way this would not have been is if the battle they were watching was in fact a rerun(which would make more sense). Because, if not, then how exactly would she just be becoming the Champion then, when Lucian about 4 or so episodes back (An Elite meet and Greet) mentioned that she was already Champion?

That was not Cynthia becoming Champion, they were watching Lucian challenge Cynthia for the Championship (or having a friendly scuffle, I forget).

The dub music ruined the epic-ness of this fight. Way to suck, PUSA.

cassius335
10th December 2007, 1:43 PM
Cynthia's is "battle stance".

Might just be my duff hearing, but it sounded like "battle dance" to me.

Xain
10th December 2007, 3:35 PM
Might just be my duff hearing, but it sounded like "battle dance" to me.

I second that..i heard that as well.

Hmm...there seems to be a lot of E4 references this time around. Especially with Lucien's explanation. I have a strong feeling that ash will go against the Elite Four in this generation. This means he is going to win the tournament this time.

My friends prediction....ash gets to Cynthia and fails.

uber gon
11th December 2007, 2:47 AM
I second that..i heard that as well.

Hmm...there seems to be a lot of E4 references this time around. Especially with Lucien's explanation. I have a strong feeling that ash will go against the Elite Four in this generation. This means he is going to win the tournament this time.

My friends prediction....ash gets to Cynthia and fails.

Or Ash loses the league and the whole E4 thing was just for explaination.

bigpop618
11th December 2007, 4:13 PM
This episode frustrated me...it really did. I love the voice which was done by Dawn's VA (cant think of her name) but it was obvious..you can hear it..but like the one important factor in a show for me is the music. The show must show some music that shows excitement and fitting for the show..Idk..maybe its me nitpicking...but the Japanese does a better job at making each battle more exciting with its music..the Dub...it disappoints me..

cassius335
11th December 2007, 4:29 PM
Or Ash loses the league and the whole E4 thing was just for explaination.

That would be horrible. Ash needs to win this one.

bigpop618
11th December 2007, 6:47 PM
That would be horrible. Ash needs to win this one.

in a way they did foreshadow a battle with Lucian in the dub...but Idk about the japanese (i dont speak it thats why). But it was very subtle

Lucian told Ash to battle him when the time is right or somehting...but then again a lot of Elite 4 members have said this

Bruno when he said I look forward to battle with you, just stuff like that

uber gon
11th December 2007, 6:57 PM
This episode frustrated me...it really did. I love the voice which was done by Dawn's VA (cant think of her name) but it was obvious..you can hear it..but like the one important factor in a show for me is the music. The show must show some music that shows excitement and fitting for the show..Idk..maybe its me nitpicking...but the Japanese does a better job at making each battle more exciting with its music..the Dub...it disappoints me..

Can we have a comparison?

bigpop618
11th December 2007, 7:37 PM
Can we have a comparison?

Well..the battle sequence between Garchomp and Torterra..the music in the background made it more intense in the japanese version that the Dub...The Buizel capture...like when everyone thought Ash was gonna catch it...Lets see those are a few off the top of my head that irritated me the most...

Ashy Boy
11th December 2007, 8:30 PM
Who did the voice for Cynthia?

Poke'T<3
11th December 2007, 9:56 PM
Its werid we havent gotten to see ash face any of the E4 yet... He'll probably end up facing that fire trainer Elite 4 guy or somthing like at the end of the game and then make the last gym leader guy inspired again or somthing. Paul needed this episode to happen to him, paul stopped at even te sound of cynthias voice and did whatever she wanted. I liked this episode alot.

uber gon
11th December 2007, 9:58 PM
Its werid we havent gotten to see ash face any of the E4 yet... He'll probably end up facing that fire trainer Elite 4 guy or somthing like at the end of the game and then make the last gym leader guy inspired again or somthing. Paul needed this episode to happen to him, paul stopped at even te sound of cynthias voice and did whatever she wanted. I liked this episode alot.

Well Paul isn't really following Cynthia's advice.

Meh, Glint has some repetitive pokémon.

Cobalt_Latios
12th December 2007, 3:21 AM
Who did the voice for Cynthia?
I'm not entirely sure, but I'm thinking it's the person who voices Dawn. It's pretty obvious as to who it sounds like, but I'm still uncertain on who voices her. In the credits, I'm seeing someone named 'Emily Jeness'. I'm thinking she's the one who voices Dawn, but I only see her in select episodes.

~C_L~

HoennMaster
12th December 2007, 2:00 PM
Cynthia was voiced by Emily Jenness, who also voices Dawn.

uber gon
12th December 2007, 8:03 PM

That surprised me.

Anaya
12th December 2007, 8:10 PM

O_o. I so didn't know that haha.

Dax
13th December 2007, 1:22 AM
I knew it! I said it in another thread. She sounded like an older version of Dawn.

THE ONE THE ONLY...AIPOM
18th December 2007, 2:10 AM
The only thing that was bad is that i wanted to see all of cynthia's pokemon

kawaii serebii
29th December 2007, 11:03 AM
Wow, we get to see Cynthia live. Can I know where to find this episode so that I can watch? Or find the torrent? Please...

I just found out about the Torterra. It's humongous.

ash_forever
7th January 2008, 12:08 PM
I loved this episode every minute it was lasting...
Three words to describe it:
awesome, heroic, gorgeous!

A exciting battle (altough Paul´s still so rude to his Pokemon...discussing about his manners would be an extra topic), Ash with his good character and his -let me call it- "spirit for ALL pokemon" which Ash-Fans love so much and a gorgeous, overwhelming champion Chyntia (yes, i admire her strenght and -a little bit- fell in love with her)

bhrettzerda053
26th March 2008, 3:22 AM
I loved the appearance of Cynthia(Shirona). The problem is, it's hard cosplaying Cynthia because of her long hair that covers her other eye. Plus, Paul here wants for powerful attacks especially from his Murkrow to beat her. Why didn't he let it learn Recover attack? It's a very powerful attack, as if it wakes up from being unable to battle? I hope one day I might know Garchomp's moves from Cynthia.(Aww, too bad, Paul, sometimes powerful attacks might not work as the key to defeating foes like Cynthia and the rest of the Sinnoh Elite trainers.)

bakphoon
10th June 2008, 9:49 PM
This was my favorite episode in this whole season! Cynthia did awesome in this episode, although I kind of wish that she used more than just her Garchomp, lol.
Still, I hope there will be more episodes with her and her Pokemon. ^.^

storymasterb
14th June 2008, 9:55 PM
I really want to see this episode. It will be out for me again on Wednesday I think. From what you guys have said it sounds good.

(s.i.e)
18th July 2008, 7:57 PM
it was a nice episode if you ask me, sometimes i more look at the graphics in it then the show itself and i must say that they really know how to make them 9/10.

Snoaz
1st August 2008, 4:48 PM
Really good episode! Cynthia kicked ***, we got to know more about Paul, Ash finally stands up against him... can't think of anything bad, actually.

10/10

storymasterb
1st August 2008, 5:02 PM
Well, I saw it. Cynthia was really good. I laughed at her spending all that time picking an ice cream. But Garchomp was way cool. I still remember every move it used.

Dig= Chimchar
Dragon Rush= Weavile
Giga Impact= Murkrow
Brick Break= Torterra.

I don't get Ash stopping those kids from laughing at Paul. Just let the guy get insulted. he deserves it!

storymasterb
1st August 2008, 5:03 PM
Well, I saw it. Cynthia was really good. I laughed at her spending all that time picking an ice cream. But Garchomp was way cool. I still remember every move it used.

Dig= Chimchar
Dragon Rush= Weavile
Giga Impact= Murkrow
Brick Break= Torterra.

I don't get Ash stopping those kids from laughing at Paul. Just let the guy get insulted. he deserves it!

HoennMaster
2nd August 2008, 6:38 AM
It shows that Ash at least has some respect in his rival.

wobbanut
27th August 2008, 3:31 AM
Probably the dodgiest title in the history of the show. ;)

I don't really have a lot to say about this episode, other than Paul put up a great battle against Cynthia, and it was interesting to see more comparisons of his style versus Ash's style. It makes me glad once again that Paul only had Chimchar for a little while longer. I like the twerps' reaction to finding out Paul still had ursaring too.

Apart from that, though, it's not that memorable apart from the title and Paul.

DanChimchar
6th October 2008, 10:54 PM
I loved this episode why CYNTHIA Thats why :D
Garchomp was so awesome. I can't help feel bad for Chimchar. Paul actully cared for Chimchar (abit like 5 seconds after it was captured) But anyways great episode. Favourite part was when Cythia had a hard time choose her Ice Cream :P

Torpoleon
6th October 2008, 11:33 PM
That just shows that Paul has a long way until he could beat Cynthia.

DanChimchar
6th October 2008, 11:38 PM
That just shows that Paul has a long way until he could beat Cynthia.

Yea good point he does. I really wonder if ash will battle her highly dought it

Torpoleon
6th October 2008, 11:46 PM
In the past he did battle elite four members. He just has to get stronger,.

DanChimchar
13th October 2008, 2:31 AM
Yes good point but I mean like in finals and stuff
Back on topic When one life mets another life something is born. I think she was talking about Chimchar because it was with Ash and Paul making and Rivaly thats is just my theory

HoennMaster
13th October 2008, 8:28 AM
Nah, it seems to be more of a rivalry being born.

Rommath
31st January 2009, 6:41 PM
Cynthia was great in this episode. One of my favourite parts was when she struggled to decide on an ice-cream flavour in front of a very bemused Team Rocket. Her Garchomp's very strong too, Paul barely left a mark on it with four Pokemon against it. Ash's reaction to the fact that Paul had captured Ursaring was great too, and how Paul's released Chimchar would later beat the Ursaring.

milenadrg
14th March 2009, 5:43 PM
I really liked Cynthia's apperance and personality, episode was great and from it, I started to like Paul...
Nah, in that when Paul was beaten buy Cynthia and those peapole who watched started to laugh at him, I don't think Ash was going to protect him ONLY because he's sorry of Paul. He's weaker trainer than him too, so he don't felt well at this moment...

katfairy
15th March 2009, 7:21 AM
Ash weaker than Paul? I don't think so. Paul's too lazy too be a good trainer; he has no interest in creating strong Pokemon, just having them be strong from the start. No skill involved in that.

No, Ash stopped the little brats because Paul had every right to challenge Cynthia and those kids were being obnoxious.

The part that got me was Cynthia forcing Paul to bring his Pokemon to the Pokemon Center. Before that I'd just thought of Paul as a jerk; when it was shown he didn't get his Pokemon treated after a battle and just let them sit around with their injuries, he crossed the line into abuser. You can make all the excuses you like, but it won't change the fact that Paul's behavior would get him arrested in the real world. And while there are certain things I'll accept from fictional characters that I wouldn't tolerate in real people, abusive behavior is not one of them.

Blue Snover
22nd April 2009, 4:27 PM
Cynthia proved why she's the Sinnoh champion, she kicked *** with just her Garchomp.

Paul didn't stand a chance.

Littlemyuu
27th April 2009, 4:51 PM
wow i really like it that Cynthia was in an episode...i knew she would won from Paul

Willow's Tara
21st June 2009, 7:14 AM
I loved this episode soley because Cynthia was in it, wish we had gotten to see more of her Pokemon but I did like seeing Garchomp. Hope to see her again

S.Suikun
24th June 2009, 2:17 AM
Oh, Serebii numbering system, how I loathe thee. Thou hath defiled my sanity and thou shalt be cursed to the flames from which thy came.

Seriously, I don't know what "DP040" is according to this anthology numbering, and since I can't remember dub titles, I have to click at random and hope the right episode pops up. Anyways, this is our Shirona debut, and by golly, she'd actually go on to make subsequent appearances unlike Mr. Stone. Appalling, kick-in-the-nuts animation aside, this is a solid debut. I do wish Shinji's match was a little longer seeing as how he apparently had gone through three other regions, even against the regional champion. That said, it's great to finally get that tidbit of information about Shinji. No, it didn't stop people from whining about Pikachu tieing with Elekid, but at least it made a bit more sense to us reasonable people.

Tha battle is basically a showcase for each trainer's Pokemon, with no real enticing battle direction. But outside the battle, this episode is pretty interesting. We learn a lot about not only Shirona and Shinji, but about the Sinnoh legends. We also get some further development and foreshadowing for Hikozaru, who nears its tipping point under Shinji. I'm glad we also got another glipse of Goyou, solidifying what we learned in his respective episode about Elite 4 and Champion challenges. TR didn't thrill me here, but at least they provided some Hikozaru moments.

B+

Shadow XD001
6th July 2009, 2:19 PM
This was a great episode. Cynthia pwned Paul with just Garchomp! She is denfinetly the champ. Only Torterra really stood a chance against Garchomp, until it lost.

STICKTOPIA
11th July 2009, 2:15 AM
i understand why paul put chimchar up against garchomp even though it was stupid but it would have blasted away with team rocket if it didnt think fast. paul is something else if you ask me....

Ash-kid
12th August 2009, 6:22 PM
this was paul's first lose, i think. Garchomp and Torterra's battle was great, this was the battle of the 2 strongest Sinnoh's area pokemon, but Torterra's moves was too slow.

Caseydia
22nd October 2009, 5:46 AM
Cynthia is the best champion after Lance ofcourse.

Lorde
5th December 2009, 3:18 AM
Wow Cynthia debuts and there is a battle between her and Paul? Unreal, this isn't something I was used to seeing in the Pokemon anime so I was super happy to see the regional Champion so soon! This was one of the best DP episodes in my opinion. I really like how we met Paul's other Pokemon. Before, everyone thought he was a newbie trainer but that turned out to be false. Loved Cynthia in the anime and I loved seeing Paul getting his butt handed to him for once. 10/10.

KGB13
24th January 2010, 5:08 AM
This episode was very good. Cynthia's debut was great, although I wanted to see more of her team other than Garchomp, and her and Paul's battle was good, even though it was extremely one-sided. I didn't like how Paul didn't want to heal his pokemon after the battle, what a D-Bag thing to do. I also hated how he blamed Chimchar for GETTING KIDNAPPED WHILE IT WAS SLEEP! ridiculous. Oh well, besides Paul's D-Baggery, this episode was really good.

firestar319
26th February 2010, 7:57 AM
I liked the way Cynthia and her Garchomp debuted, and she owned Paul. This has to be one of my favorite quotes in Pokemon:

James: Look, a gang of twerps.
Meowth: And that top of the line trainer babe!
8.5/10

wind21
2nd July 2010, 11:44 PM
Very sorry about yesterday, if anyone actually reads these. I do match reporting for another site, and I was pretty tired yesterday to do thinking posts. Actually feel rather ill right now. But I'll make it through this.

Okay, skipping some more reviews. Dp 38 is Happiny's hatching from Brock's egg that he won from the dress-up competition, and Dp 39 is a filler episode.

I consider this episode to be for sure one of the 2 most defining episodes in the dp anime (I want to say there are 3, but considering how lackluster Ash's first Sinnoh league battle was, I'm not so sure about the third one now). Cynthia's introduction is amazing and unforgettable: she's shown on a tv station trouncing Lucian, the elite 4 member that showed up a few episodes ago to help/boss Dawn with her Buizel troubles. I admit, I tend to dislike people who have Lucian's personality, but goodness, it's quite a sight to see a member of the elite 4 being put in his place. By definition in the pokemon anime, being a member of the elite 4 has basically meant you're untouchable and your philosophy about battling is righteous and perfect. Cynthia's demolition of Lucian establishes a power scale of comparison for the first time; there's the elite 4, and then there's the champion, who is a big step up. And also, the fact that a member of the elite 4 would actually challenge the champion makes the members feel more humane. They do have ambitions and do overestimate their skill. Fantastic idea from the writers to show this.

Cynthia is also pretty likable, too. She spends the entire morning at Team Rocket's ice cream place trying to decide what she wants, which is humorous and fun. She has a aura of confidence about her, but she doesn't take things too seriously and doesn't interfere if she doesn't have to. In contrast to Lucian who volunteers himself to help Dawn with her training, Cynthia notes that there's a bit of a rivalry b/w Paul and Ash but does not make any unjust comments or favor one guy over the other (beyond telling Paul to get treatment for his pokemon, and that was only out of concern for Paul's pokemon; Ash actually makes the same mistake when he meets Cynthia next time).

Oh yeah, Paul is in this episode! He challenges Cynthia, and during the battle he shows a pokemon that changes everything: Torterra. The impression up to this pt had been that Paul was a newbie trainer from Sinnoh, with his strongest pokemon maybe being his Elekid. Not so. Paul is an experienced trainer, and that completely changes the ball game for the dp anime. It's another fantastic idea from the writers, b/c it creates a contrast, and yet parallel b/w Ash's and Dawn's stories. Ash, someone who has been to many regions, has a rival who has done the same; Dawn, who is just starting out, has her main rival (Zoey) in the same boat she's in. This is one of reasons the Sinnoh storyline has been exciting to watch, as it has Dawn's storyline to attract new viewers while maintaining and growing Ash's character for the viewers who have been here awhile. I really wonder what the writers will try to do next region with regards to this? I don't think I could watch another story where Ash starts over and is completely reset; I need to see him keep his same skill set and continue to improve. Alot of things depend on how the Sinnoh league turns out for Ash, that's for sure. To bring this back into the context of this episode, one thing that is interesting and a little frustrating in Paul's battle with Cynthia that Paul actually uses a strategy and gets Cynthia where he wants. But it fails, not b/c Paul's tactics are flawed, but b/c Garchomp is just too powerful. If Ash resets his pokemon every region, how will his pokemon ever have the needed exp/power to compete with a champion whose pokemon are that strong? Tactics can only do so much. At some pt, it'll get disturbing to see Ash lose not b/c he's a poor trainer with bad strategies, but b/c his pokemon don't have the needed strength. It's up to the writers to always keep Ash improving as a trainer if this show is to remain interesting. I wonder what they'll do next region....

Caseydia
22nd November 2010, 2:59 AM

Dig= Chimchar
Dragon Rush= Weavile
Giga Impact= Murkrow
Brick Break= Torterra.

That's because Ash knows what it's like to have annoying people behind and beside you laughing and crap when it's easy for them to make fun but not if they are going to do it themselves. I would have done the same thing to stop them.

Lance The Champ
24th November 2010, 2:11 PM
Cynthia is the strongest champion thus far...... Her power was displayed in a fantastic manner in the battle between her and Paul

Caseydia
6th February 2011, 2:31 AM
Cynthia is too georgeous to be a female. I'm even attracted to her.

RocketTwurpSLR
20th March 2011, 10:47 PM
"when every life meets another life something will be born"

witch means connectoin

"back to the timeless origin of all pokemon"

its liturally how pokemon began

connectoin,what WIFI connectoin? no wait link cable is how pokemon was thought of bY satoshi tajiri

G50
27th April 2011, 11:35 AM
This episode was ok. It was cool to see Cynthia for the 1st time. It was really cool to see Paul battle Cynthia. It was cool to see Torterra and Garchomp for the 1st time. Cynthia's Garchomp is really powerful and looks absolutely unbeatable. It took down all 4 of Paul's Pokemon in a row. It was great to see Cynthia scolding Paul in this episode.

60/100

J Ken
27th July 2013, 2:04 PM
Paul got curbstomped. xD His team at this point looked way stronger then Ash's team.

PokemontrainerY
28th July 2013, 11:52 AM
This episode was awesome. It's great too see the Sinnoh champion Cynthia for the first time, She was really awesome. Not to mention, she was beautiful and hot too.
I liked how her powerful Garchomp destroyed Paul's Pokemon one by one. XD

Brock was trying to get her attention as usual. It's funny when Croagunk stopped himself from Posion Jabbing Brock after Cynthia give it 'the look'.