PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Ritchie?

Mello
20th July 2007, 3:18 AM
Visiting random sites and looking through posts in this forum, I found that Ritchie isn't well liked. I guess this is quite a surprise for the creators of the Anime, because Ritchie seems like that character everyone was supposed to like, but in the end they made him too perfect. Anyway, that being said, what is your opinion on Ritchie?

Liberty4Pokemon
21st July 2007, 2:31 PM
Eh, I don't really hate him, but he's not exactly my favorite character, either. It just seems like they took all the quirks out of Ash's personality, gave him red hair, and, voila, it's Ritchie. But, that's just my opinion, I've never been a big fan of goody-goody hero types (anti-heroes are more my thing).

Igloo
21st July 2007, 2:33 PM
Ritchie wasn't altogether original. Just your typical, well-balanced trainer. Not that it matters, but I think his nicknames were a bit dumb. If I remember correctly, he owned "Happy" the Butterfree...

CyberCubed
21st July 2007, 2:42 PM
Richie was proof that the writers couldn't figure out HOW to write good rivals back then.

Between how little Gary showed up and Richie simply being a clone of Ash, its pretty laughable compared to today's standards. Even the other league rivals like Tyson and Morrison have so much more personality than Richie, and they actually have a backstory.

Just more proof how much the writers have improved in their writing since Season 1.

Venusaur Master
21st July 2007, 2:54 PM
never have liked Ritchie seems to be to easy going and does not train pokemon to their full poteinal
A complete opposite to Ash

Prio
21st July 2007, 3:49 PM
Is better than Ash.

futuramagirl
21st July 2007, 4:04 PM
I think Richie is Ash's long lost brother, but both of them were too stupid too figure it out.

I don't like Richie that much...

Alzatia
21st July 2007, 5:31 PM
I seriously dislike Ritchie...his a Gary-stue. >_> To perfect..his annoying. Its a shame the writters wasted those hosos on him...they could had been used for something much better like maybe raikou special-like thing for the AG era involving maybe Brendan or Frlg girl...but no they had to make hosos of Ritchie. -.-

Drkecho
21st July 2007, 8:09 PM
I don't know why. He's just annoying to watch battleing. He had some hacks beating Ash in Kanto. The nicknames were annoying to I mean "Happy" wth is that.

Corzola
21st July 2007, 8:41 PM
Well, I have him as my avtar so I likes him at least a bit. He makes what he is supposed to do. For me he seems like a good friend Ash would encounter but not hang out with for years. He is great for a couple of eps but not in the running seasons like Brock, Misty, May etc.

Dax
21st July 2007, 10:32 PM
Richie is simply horrible in my opinion. A failure in the attempt to create a good rival. He was like a clone of Ash. I'm just glad he's not in the anime anymore.

PokemonMan66
21st July 2007, 10:43 PM
he may be a clone of ash but i still like hi m a bit, and i like his nicknames, happy the butterfree and sparky the pikachu

Dax
22nd July 2007, 1:12 AM
Zippo the Charmander/Charmeleon!:)

That was cute about him...nothing more!

blasters49
22nd July 2007, 1:16 AM
richie is stupid and he loves ASH

Prince Red Heracross
22nd July 2007, 1:22 AM
richie is stupid and he loves ASH

And your proof of this is?

zeno48
22nd July 2007, 4:11 AM
I don't like him but i dont hate him either. He was an Ash clone and I think we will never ever see him again.

macoroni
22nd July 2007, 7:03 AM
I think he was pretty good! lol I dont think he's a clone of Ash.

mewmew202
22nd July 2007, 3:47 PM
I think he was ok but was unoriginal as a charecter and had silly nicknames for his pokemon. I didn't hate him but he is NOT a favorite charecter of mine.

Phantom_Bugsy
22nd July 2007, 7:56 PM
Richie is better than Ash ever will be. :/ Least he hasn't let go of any of his Pokemon :D

Prince Red Heracross
23rd July 2007, 4:45 PM
I think he was ok but was unoriginal as a charecter and had silly nicknames for his pokemon. I didn't hate him but he is NOT a favorite charecter of mine.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Dragonite
23rd July 2007, 4:47 PM
I liked richie and his nicknames for pokemon, he was one of the only people to give them nicknames. Also, he is much better than Ash, IMO

Geostomp
24th July 2007, 3:12 AM
Ritchie is okay and all, but he really is just a clone of Ash.

Everything he is is basically Ash, but with slightly more maturity (at least when he was first seen). We dislike him because he doesn't have a real identity of his own.

Emwo
24th July 2007, 3:21 AM
I don't mind him in the least. I loved him and wanted him to train with Ash when he was first introduced.

he is just an ash clone, especially with his pikachu.

xXBloodstainedLieXx
24th July 2007, 3:40 AM
I like him because his personality is similar to mine

jpwong
24th July 2007, 10:16 AM
I like him, he's one of those characters that doesn't overstay his welcome, but is nice enough to show up once in a while.

I think if he appeared a few episodes each season it wouldn't be bad, but I can't ever see him as being someone who sticks around. He has a lot of little things that are almost the opposite of the same qualities Ash has, but they're still too similar to each other to use as character foils.

Personally it would be nice if he showed up at the end of DP and was used as the lead in to the next region, because right now, it's almost inevitable that Gary will show up, defeat Ash in battle using some new pokemon from some new region and Ash will set out on his next journey.

chorusco
24th July 2007, 10:22 AM
Hes Not My Fave Character But I Would Like To See Him Come Back. Last Time I Seen Him Was In Pokemon Chronicles

Shiny pokemon lover
24th July 2007, 6:09 PM
I hope he sooner or later will came back. Ash scould have a rematch against him, a six on six battle.

Ryuu-Anima
24th July 2007, 8:04 PM
Hm... A six-on six battle would be nice... but Ash has to get some more SInnoh Pokémon, first.
I just want to see what Sinnoh Pokémon they assign to Ritchie, if he ever comes back, since he got a Pupitar for Johto and a Taillow for Hoenn.

But yeah, he's a little too perfect, evne if he is more mature than Ash.

Tenacious
24th July 2007, 8:43 PM
I dont like him. He's just an imitation of Ash to give him a rival.

He was just the League rival for Kanto. Thats all he was made to be.

Obviously the writers intended him to be the foil to Ash.

He was forgotten when better rivals appeared in the story.

So basically, He was a failed attempt at a character

Metal Bird
25th July 2007, 6:42 AM
I think Ritchie cheated when he beat Ash in the Indigo league.

AshfanGirl20
25th July 2007, 7:27 AM
I hate his character so much, no offense Richie fans. I just find him annoying, he's an annoying clone of Ash. I can't stand the guy and am glad he's not showing up on the show now.

NovaNight
27th July 2007, 8:00 PM
I dont hate him nor did i like him
He seeemed too perfect and kinda cheesy
But he did nikename his Pokemon and is the only character who did and even if some were odd and/or corny i like that he did
Yeah he did seem like an Ash remake with no story or history and that was kinda his big downfall

ahmad_bulba
27th July 2007, 8:09 PM
I like ritchie...hes powerful and more mature than ash...and maybe not so dense too..:D

gamefreak5034
27th July 2007, 8:26 PM
richie is nothing but a pathetic attempt at copying ash(who in my opinion is one of the worst trainers on the show)

zeno48
27th July 2007, 10:46 PM
Hes Not My Fave Character But I Would Like To See Him Come Back. Last Time I Seen Him Was In Pokemon Chronicles

What is the point of bringing him back? Ash is strong enough to cream him so that there would be the only reason for him to come back in one episode but he is never coming back so its fine.

thunderblade12
28th July 2007, 9:29 AM
richie was mad boring, he had the exact same pokemon as ash, obnoxious nicknames and no personality. gary is good..hes like a clone of chazz from yugioh GX(hair and personality), paul is the second greatest character in the anime, mewtwo being the first for his gaara-ish, emo personality

Corzola
28th July 2007, 10:45 AM
Compared to Gary Richie had not much to say but Paul? If Richie was an Ash clone Paul is just the anti-Ash and that brings nothing interesting to the story. The combination of Ash and Garys different belives in Pokemon- rasing and traing was perfect. That both ways was understandable (as Prof. Oak said). Not Paul who just is anti everything Ash belives in.

MasterLucario
28th July 2007, 4:23 PM
He's a small, annoying Ash

red2000
28th July 2007, 4:28 PM
well you cant blame Ritchie for being lame, I honestly think that Ritchie was a prototype for an Mirror -Ash, back in the Indigo League, Ash was dense, and relied on dumb luck to win his battles, Ritchie was suppose to show what Ash would have been like had he been smarter and Used skill to win battles, Gary would've been that character had they shown more of him during the season,but since Gary only made few appearences the needed to make a character like that, think of it as a really lame Naruto and Gaara

zeno48
28th July 2007, 4:28 PM
He's a small, annoying Ash

lqtm what did he ever do to you?

Xashlei
1st August 2007, 11:18 AM
I like Ritchie actually. At least his Gary-stuness doesn't go as far as some other characters I know...

The Benmeister
1st August 2007, 11:27 AM
The whole clone thing wasn't a bad idea.

Putting him in chronicles, however, was.

Gravy
1st August 2007, 1:07 PM
Oh Richie. Where does one begin?
Richie was a legend. Truly the most influential character to ever set foot in the animé...nay...to ever set foot on Television itself. A classic in his own right, Richie accomplished what every other character in this show and many others have failed to achieve; Greatness. It didn't matter what situation he was in, or who he was communicating with, Richie never failed to impress or entertain his seemingly endless supply of fans. From his dashing personality (Kind, helpful), outstanding creativity (Naming a Butterfree 'Happy'? Genius.) incredible dress sense (I'd kill for a hat like that), admirable intellect (Putting stickers on your pokéballs? Einstein would be proud) and many, many other wholesome character traits, he was nothing short of perfect.
Needless to say, the full potential of this prince among men was brought forward by what is widely known (or at least it should be) as some of the best dialogue ever to grace an animated television show, with an outstanding voice that carried each and every syllable with perfect precision, a level the likes of Jim Cummings and Kath Soucie can only hope to achieve. Not only that, but his laugh was pure gold, a melodious sound that could easily top the works of Beethoven and Paganini.
Not only this, but he he contributed to what is quite easily one of, if not the best story arcs in pokémon history; The Indigo Tournament. The heart-breaking battle he had with Ash for example; awe-inspiring, to say the least. Powerfully dramatic, to the point where even the burliest of men would weep with sorrow, and riddled with helpful morals and life lessons to teach children the importance of friendship. This is what pokémon is all about, and it was all thanks to everyone’s favourite rival.

Yes, Richie really was one of best characters in cartoon history. You'd have be a tasteless fool to dislike him.

larvitar005
1st August 2007, 1:12 PM
I neither hate him nor like him, there are some episodes that I hate him and some episodes that I admire him...

R3b3lSarge
2nd August 2007, 4:39 PM
ritchie wasnt that bad. i liked him actually, and his pikachu

Kametsou
2nd August 2007, 8:18 PM
I'm probably one of the only Ritchie fans here. Personally, he was one of my favorite characters in the show. I liked the fact that he and Ash had a lot of the same Pokémon and I also liked Sparky because of his cool doo. ^_^

Sushi Bunny
2nd August 2007, 9:03 PM
Oh Richie. Where does one begin?
Richie was a legend. Truly the most influential character to ever set foot in the animé...nay...to ever set foot on Television itself. A classic in his own right, Richie accomplished what every other character in this show and many others have failed to achieve; Greatness. It didn't matter what situation he was in, or who he was communicating with, Richie never failed to impress or entertain his seemingly endless supply of fans. From his dashing personality (Kind, helpful), outstanding creativity (Naming a Butterfree 'Happy'? Genius.) incredible dress sense (I'd kill for a hat like that), admirable intellect (Putting stickers on your pokéballs? Einstein would be proud) and many, many other wholesome character traits, he was nothing short of perfect.
Needless to say, the full potential of this prince among men was brought forward by what is widely known (or at least it should be) as some of the best dialogue ever to grace an animated television show, with an outstanding voice that carried each and every syllable with perfect precision, a level the likes of Jim Cummings and Kath Soucie can only hope to achieve. Not only that, but his laugh was pure gold, a melodious sound that could easily top the works of Beethoven and Paganini.
Not only this, but he he contributed to what is quite easily one of, if not the best story arcs in pokémon history; The Indigo Tournament. The heart-breaking battle he had with Ash for example; awe-inspiring, to say the least. Powerfully dramatic, to the point where even the burliest of men would weep with sorrow, and riddled with helpful morals and life lessons to teach children the importance of friendship. This is what pokémon is all about, and it was all thanks to everyone’s favourite rival.

Yes, Richie really was one of best characters in cartoon history. You'd have be a tasteless fool to dislike him.

Eloquently stated my friend.

You captured the true essence of Richie. It brought tears to my eyes.

Bravo!

Kenpachi
3rd August 2007, 4:12 PM
I wonder can I non-Shiny Pokemon evlove into a Shiny one?
Cause if Ash and Richie battle again than his zippo will be a Charizard.
Black Charizard vs Orange Charizard, that would be great.
Also, Ash and Richie need to have a 6 on 6 league battle.
I like Richie, but I hated his battle with Ash in Kanto. Ash only lost cause Charizard
was being a diva.

SapphireRose
3rd August 2007, 6:35 PM
I didn't really like Richie...
Not that there's anything wrong with him, it's just that I like other characters MORE.
Most other characters in the anime are better. In my opinion, there is no ULTIMATE trainer, and the fact that a trainer grows is more important to me than the trainer being perfect from the start. That shows that the trainer is capable of being better and is more humble and courteous than the perfect trainer who has a greater possibility of being stuck up. *ahem, JESSIE!*
That is just my opinion on Richie, not my fave, but not in my hated list.

Princess Reina
3rd August 2007, 7:00 PM
I dont like him because:
- he was lucky on the Indigo League (he shouldnt have won to Ash)
- he is always nice
- he is always mature
- he is always helpful
- he is always cute
- he doesnt make any mistakes
- he is walking perfection
I hope my eyes wont see his cute-lovely face in the show anymore.

BladedScizor
4th August 2007, 9:01 AM
Least he hasn't let go of any of his Pokemon :D

What makes you so sure of that?

And Gravy, that was freaking hilarious; I was laughing the whole time I was reading that.

Sir Devious
4th August 2007, 10:57 AM
He was a rival. I never really liked him... but I didnt hate him or anything. And it's *Richie.