PDA

View Full Version : If PUSA Had Dubbed From the Beginning?

Reign G
22nd July 2007, 11:47 PM
Just as the title says. If 4Kids never got ahold of Pokemon, if Pokemon USA had been the dubbers since the beginning...Well, obviously we'd have never had to put up with all the complaints about the new actors, but I'm talking other, non-voice related things. If PUSA had dubbed from the beginning, what would be different about the Anime?

RageKaiser
22nd July 2007, 11:55 PM
Maybe if PUSA wasn't infludenced by 4kids, We'd have all the original music, We wouldn't have gone through all the visual edited that 4kids, Tbh, I would actually prefer the show to get a whole redub.

Desert Flower
23rd July 2007, 7:11 AM
Well we wouldn't have floating sandwiches, for one.

zeno48
23rd July 2007, 7:13 AM
If pusa had dubbed at the beginning there wouldn't be any whinning about the new voices now would their?

Venusaur Master
23rd July 2007, 10:11 AM
Sort of a double edged sword if Pokemon USA had started from the begining then without 4kids publicity it might not have started of easily

Blackjack Gabbiani
23rd July 2007, 10:32 AM
This all depends. Would it have also been on Cartoon Network the whole time? Or would it have been on WB? Because there's a lot of edits made that were WB-exclusive (I don't believe for a second that 4Kids was to blame for *everything*)

Power of Fire
23rd July 2007, 10:33 AM
Gary-Blue, Ash-Red, Jimmy-Gold, Marina-Crystal

so the dialogue is like this

blue-cath ya later red
red-stfu blue you fuc|<ing retard

so no the usa decided that 4kids is a better thingamagij than PUSA

Reign G
23rd July 2007, 11:13 AM
Blood of fire, have you read the manga? That's basically how it is. I know, I know red and Ash, Gary and Blue, etc. Are not the same characters, I was just throwing out the idea.

zeno48
24th July 2007, 6:50 AM
Why can't we all respect 4kids for treating the dub right and give Pusa a chance to develop?

Dattebayo
24th July 2007, 7:03 AM
If that happens, it would be like Dragonball Z: Uncut.

zeno48
24th July 2007, 7:10 AM

You win the internet^.

Archimedes
24th July 2007, 7:13 AM

No, not really.

Reign G
24th July 2007, 12:42 PM
Why can't we all respect 4kids for treating the dub right and give Pusa a chance to develop?

I do respect 4Kids, I'm not saying it sucks. I was wondering what the people on SPPf thought the show would be like if PUSA had it from the start, that's all.

FerreTrip
25th July 2007, 7:08 PM
Well we wouldn't have floating sandwiches, for one.

HUH?!

Imo, we wouldn't've missed out on some of those banned eps(well, ok, James' boobs might not've flown, but then, kids don't get that sorta thing). And no magically-there Tauros. And no "Dratini? What Dratini? TR, are you smoking something? You never saw a Dratini!" in the Ditto mansion episode. And also we'd've gotten the Jap names for at LEAST the non-main chars. And we'd've seen the REAL intros, not the crappy ones!! Here's lookin at season 4 and Japan's KILLER shot of Mewtwo, 4Kids!

Rooreelooo
25th July 2007, 7:41 PM
The movies would be completely different. 4Kids tweaked and altered the plots to make them better suited to an American audience. If PUSA had been at the wheel back then they probably would have maintained a tighter hold to the original.

I dunno if this would be good or bad. The first movie would be better, since 4Kids had to attatch a 'fighting is wrong' message to it, I guess because an American audience wasn't ready for the ethical questions behind cloning. On the other hand, I liked the extra's added to 4Ever, as otherwise I would have completely skipped over the whole past-Oak thing.

I for one don't think 4Kids did a bad job. They took a cartoon aimed at a Japanese audience and tweaked it so it was aimed at an American audience. PUSA would have done essentially the same thing.

Edit: Aw crud, I contradicted myself.

Desert Flower
27th July 2007, 8:36 AM

I'd have more respect for 4Kids if they had more respect for me. I don't mean literally, I mean they care nothing for either their fans or the integrity of the original work that they buy the rights to. So excuse me if I've grown to hate them.

I'm not saying they did a bad job with Pokemon, although in some cases they could've done better. I just dislike them as a company, so I tend to be biased against them.

HUH?!

Imo, we wouldn't've missed out on some of those banned eps(well, ok, James' boobs might not've flown, but then, kids don't get that sorta thing). And no magically-there Tauros. And no "Dratini? What Dratini? TR, are you smoking something? You never saw a Dratini!" in the Ditto mansion episode. And also we'd've gotten the Jap names for at LEAST the non-main chars. And we'd've seen the REAL intros, not the crappy ones!! Here's lookin at season 4 and Japan's KILLER shot of Mewtwo, 4Kids!

I was talking about Morrison's "sandwich", which was pointlessly altered.

And there's no way they could've aired the Safari Zone episode. Have you even seen it?

Ryuu-Anima
27th July 2007, 2:40 PM
Yeah, the gun thing in the Safari Zone probably woulnd't have flown, but we'd probably at least have some of the Jynx episodes that they currrently refuse to air. But, yeah, I bet we'd have at least SOME of the original openings, and possibly the endings too.... if they even played closing music on ANY American show....

Pokeyug91
27th July 2007, 5:59 PM
How could PUSA have gotten a hold of the dub before 4kids if PUSA didn't exist back then?

Dogasu
27th July 2007, 7:42 PM
That's why this is a "What If?" thread.

Personally, I think the show would have been better. I think they would have left the Japanese soundtrack alone since I suspect that part of the reason they replace the music now is for continuity/contractual reasons. I also doubt PUSA would have forced the Japanese producers to remove Japanese writing and tone down the violence and all the other things they did while 4Kids was in power.

The show would still have crappy voice actors, but at least the Japanese version wouldn't have lost a lot of the character that 4Kids forced them to suck away from the show.

Maxim
27th July 2007, 8:15 PM
PUSA has its weak points. 4Kids had many of them, too.

The series in overall could be better. We wouldn't get floating sandwiches and the unaired episodes would be possibly aired (except Polygon one, of course). Old music kept, maybe. I think the translation would be more faithful to the games' translation. So, all things like Primas, Harlans, Isabels and possibly Shaunas (it's a less noticable mistake. Actually, there was a Battle Girl in Touki's Gym named Shinobu with an Asanan, and her name in English version of the game was Tessa, not Shauna) would not be there.

But... we would get crappy openings. 4Kids's ones are sweet compared to PUSA's ones.

Personally, I think they'd name the characters after their names from the games. Gary-Blue, Ash-Red, Jimmy-Gold, Marina-Crystal, etc.

I doubt it. Ash & Gary were optional names in Red/Blue, in the place of Satoshi & Shigeru in original version of Red/Green. So, Satoshi would be still Ash and Shigeru would be still Gary.

Kabuto
27th July 2007, 8:18 PM
We'd probly have all the original tracks (though I cant be sure)

Anyway THANKS 4Kids. Your dub was GREAT especially the Hoenn season >_>.

How could PUSA have gotten a hold of the dub before 4kids if PUSA didn't exist back then?

lol. Who do you think dubs the pokemon games?

Cartoonami
27th July 2007, 9:17 PM
If PUSA and TAJ had the show in 1998, it would not have become the mega-hit that 4kids made it to be in the US. It was 4kids who let the show grow up with it's fans, maturing in the writing process and staying true to the characters. Couple that with the show's easy accessibility on the WB network under 4kids's regime. Good times(the voices and humor elements) and bad(like that sub sandwitch everyone carps on about), it was 4kids that put Pokemon on the map. Would PUSA and TAJ have done as good a job at [the writing part of] the dub? I doubt it, as the past two seasons(9 and 10's mixed track record) suggest. Even so, the 9'th movie's stellar dub is proof that these two groups can keep the quality train going.

By the way, is it not Nintendo proper who translates the games anymore?;250;

Kabuto
27th July 2007, 9:26 PM
Nintendo works on and distributes the games, but I think the Pokemon company are the ones dubbing them. I could be wrong...

Maxim
27th July 2007, 11:13 PM
Nintendo works on and distributes the games, but I think the Pokemon company are the ones dubbing them. I could be wrong...

You're wrong.

Nintendo of America is translating the games.

Yeah, I also used to mix up NoA with PUSA.

zeno48
27th July 2007, 11:32 PM
You're wrong.

Nintendo of America is translating the games.

Yeah, I also used to mix up NoA with PUSA.

I do that to and i still do it for some reason lol.

DarkLegend
28th July 2007, 12:55 PM
Would'nt it be possible for Nintendo to directly translate the show into english while leaving everything else? I mean that could'nt Nintendo send the episodes to a company which directly translates all text and dialogue into english and sends it back to Nintendo who hire some prefessional english voice actors (Robin Williams as James? FTW!) to do the dubbing?
No edits.... No cuts....

In essence what exactly is 4Kids/PUSA's purpose.....
Also, is TV Tokyo the producer or the distributer of the show in Japan?

Hikozaru390
30th July 2007, 3:13 PM
If PUSA (and I assume also Taj is in the what if?) had been dubbing from the beginning...I don't think it would've worked out too well. PUSA's basically working off of 4kids' example, which says to me they really can't do much on their own. If a competent company had been dubbing the show when PUSA took over...

We probably wouldn't have crappy pun episode titles. (Though "Leave it to Brocko" was essentially a translation)

The voice actors wouldn't have to sound-alike such bad voices. (Probably why Paul, Dawn, Rowan, among other newcomers' voices are so good.)

We'd probably still have some Japan left in the show. >_>

Original soundtrack and possibly dubbed original openings.

That's all I can think of. If PUSA wasn't working on 4kids' example, I think we'd have a much different dub.

Korobooshi Kojiro
30th July 2007, 6:08 PM
It would've been pretty much just the same.

Cartoonami
1st August 2007, 9:46 PM
It would've been pretty much just the same.

Are you sure? It might have turned out to be as lame as other "for kids" dubs, such as "direct" competitors like 'Digimon' and 'Monster Rancher'. And look where they are now: you might notice they don't have much presence on the airwaves (well, at least their video game lines still continue).

Korobooshi Kojiro
2nd August 2007, 2:30 AM
That's because the series ended in Japan, and actually Digimon is getting a new dub season soon.

Not too mention Digimon had the superior dub.

Rex Kamex
4th August 2007, 3:19 AM
If PUSA and TAJ had the show in 1998, it would not have become the mega-hit that 4kids made it to be in the US. It was 4kids who let the show grow up with it's fans, maturing in the writing process and staying true to the characters. Couple that with the show's easy accessibility on the WB network under 4kids's regime.

Pokemon USA wouldn't make sure that the series became a hit?

Good times(the voices and humor elements) and bad(like that sub sandwitch everyone carps on about), it was 4kids that put Pokemon on the map. Would PUSA and TAJ have done as good a job at [the writing part of] the dub? I doubt it, as the past two seasons(9 and 10's mixed track record) suggest. Even so, the 9'th movie's stellar dub is proof that these two groups can keep the quality train going.

I don't really see how the writers would've edited the dub so much in the beginning if 4Kids never dubbed it.

Blackjack Gabbiani
4th August 2007, 3:21 AM
We probably wouldn't have crappy pun episode titles. (Though "Leave it to Brocko" was essentially a translation)

Except where PUSA, like a lot of dubbing companies (and even some original companies), do the exact same thing.