PDA

View Full Version : The old dub voices

Tenacious
24th July 2007, 9:35 PM
The old voices, IMO, helped define the show. It showed Ash/Satoshi's personality.

They did a good job of giving a voice to match each character.

Im sure most people agree with me because EVERYONE and their uncle Jimbo watched it in 1999.

The point is I decided to give the new dub a try. And what I saw was atrocious.

The voices werent "new" but trying to imitate the old voices, badly.

One could use as a backup would be trying to make the characters older, Given Ash's deeper tone of voice, but he hasn't aged THAT much, and just sounds akward

Brock sounds like a doof. James sounds more doofy, but not in the good way that his old voice was. And Meowth isnt even Meowth anymore.

One could clearly admit that the voices have trouble emphasizing emotions. They just sound WAY too corny and exagerated.

Im gonna end this post before I ramble, but who here agrees with everything I've said?

Gravy
24th July 2007, 9:46 PM
They just sound WAY too corny and exagerated.
I'm seriously failing to understand how you can not see that the previous voices of Ash, Brock, James and a whole plethora of other characters also shared these...*ahem*...'qualities'.

Oooh, right. It's because it's one of those threads. My mistake. Carry on.

Tenacious
24th July 2007, 9:50 PM
I'm seriously failing to understand how you can not see that the previous voices of Ash, Brock, James and a whole plethora of other characters also shared these...*ahem*...'qualities'.

Oooh, right. It's because it's one of those threads. My mistake. Carry on.

Correction: The old voices were not AS CORNY.

Another thing I forget to mention: The old voices tend to grow on ya

PS:*looks at the THOSE Threads comment* Har Har..He He..Your so funny. Really Im in stitches.

Rooreelooo
24th July 2007, 9:57 PM
The old voices were good. but the new voices are not bad. They're different and that's what people dislike about them.

Calling the new voice actors bad is unfair - they're no worse than any other VA's I've heard and they're just as good as the originals. I agree they don't have the charm, but that's just because they haven't been established for 10 years like the old ones.

You prefer the old VA's. I agree with you on that. But I disagree with insulting the new ones. They started work under less than desirable circumstances and it wasn't their fault the originals got shafted by PUSA. They're just people looking for work.

Tenacious
24th July 2007, 10:00 PM
The old voices were good. but the new voices are not bad. They're different and that's what people dislike about them.

Calling the new voice actors bad is unfair - they're no worse than any other VA's I've heard and they're just as good as the originals. I agree they don't have the charm, but that's just because they haven't been established for 10 years like the old ones.

You prefer the old VA's. I agree with you on that. But I disagree with insulting the new ones. They started work under less than desirable circumstances and it wasn't their fault the originals got shafted by PUSA. They're just people looking for work.

Im not trying to flame the VAs.

If I sounded like Im a one sided arguer, Then I apolgize.

You have to admit,The voices need work.

But then to contradict what I say. It IS A kids cartoon, and Kids 5-11 dont really care about the quality of the voices.

shervin
24th July 2007, 10:00 PM
The old voices, IMO, helped define the show. It showed Ash/Satoshi's personality.

They did a good job of giving a voice to match each character.

Im sure most people agree with me because EVERYONE and their uncle Jimbo watched it in 1999.

The point is I decided to give the new dub a try. And what I saw was atrocious.

The voices werent "new" but trying to imitate the old voices, badly.

One could use as a backup would be trying to make the characters older, Given Ash's deeper tone of voice, but he hasn't aged THAT much, and just sounds akward

Brock sounds like a doof. James sounds more doofy, but not in the good way that his old voice was. And Meowth isnt even Meowth anymore.

One could clearly admit that the voices have trouble emphasizing emotions. They just sound WAY too corny and exagerated.

Im gonna end this post before I ramble, but who here agrees with everything I've said?

I second your opinion all the way!! I HATE the new voices.....that's why I hardly watch the anime anymore, I loved the way the old voices were more natural, its more reading-from-a-script type voice now....

Jeff Zero
25th July 2007, 10:42 AM
I for the most part think the new voices do a decent job, I really like Dawn and Paul's voices as well as those of the Frontier Brains, but that's not hard to do considering the 4Kids group never had a chance to voice them However, I do think the 4kids VAs did a better job, but mostly becuase they had 8 years of experiance. Every once and while you come across people who didn't realize Ash had the same VA from the start, because he sounded so differant every on. I remember Brock sounded fairly differant (rough, if you will) early on, and Jessie doesn't really sound anything like she did in early episodes. James and Meowth had differant voices entierely for the early episodes, and the funny thing is they did a great job that early on. Really, for the most part my only problem with the PUSA voice actors is they have a tendancy to either over-act or underact. Sarah Natocheney's Ash is a great example. I'm sure it's been said before, but sometimes her delivery of lines comes off as unintentionally snippy or sarcastic. The examples that come to mind for me are her "Hello? I need water for my Pokemon!" which made her [er, him], sound VERY demanding and rude. But also when Oak tells him about Gary, his "You're kidding." sounds like he couldn't care less, and his "Sound's like Gary's working hard in Sinnoh" sounds like he thinks Gary's NOT working hard, and he's being sarcastic. Not even Jimmy Zoppi, who actually PLAYED Gary, was without fail. His voice sounded a bit rough in his, what, two, appearances in the show since, and that could have been since it's a while since he showed up. It is great that he happened to still be around so when Gary showed up again, he sounded right, the consistancy made it better. His Meowth (I'm sure this has been said before too) can't hold a candle to Maddie's. He's got the nastiness and big city accent down more or less, but he's missing the heart. Never was this more evident than when he first did the "Boss Fantasy". Woo boy, it sounded wrong. His Meowth almost sounded more like Gary in that scene. It actually had me hoping I never hear another Boss Fantasy in a new episode again, and that's a shame because I used to like them. On the other hand, I'm actually quite content with his James. It's not the same, but I think it's good. Max bothers me sometimes, a lot of the time his voice is too much like Coby from One Piece or Tuff from Kirby but BOOOOY some of his delivery is stiff sometimes. And the new voices for Combustken and Corphish bother me every time. Combustken and Corphish' new voices always sound like a chimpanzee and Mickey Mouse to me. Also, new Tracey has the worse voice ever.