PDA

View Full Version : A Stand-Up Sit-Down! (509)

Serebii
26th July 2007, 7:38 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/509.jpgDawn, Zoey & A Double Performance!

On their way to the next city, Ash & Co. bump into Zoey, who has been injured while training. While helping her out, Dawn learns that the next contest will follow Grand Festival Rules and require double battles. Dawn, having no experience in battling in double battles alone, decides she needs to practice with her Pokémon. However, Team Rocket are around the corner and have their eye on Zoey's new Shellos...

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/shinou/509.shtml)

Discuss

Dark Cacturne
26th July 2007, 8:18 PM
This is going to be a great episode. So Dawn is actually learning how to double battle. Seems quite interesting, to battle against her best friend Zoey! And I love to see her new Shellos. As we can see, Glameow will be in it to. It is a battle between Buizel and Buneary vs Glameow and Shellos, the perfect ingredients for a great battle. I can't wait!

Venusaur Master
26th July 2007, 9:15 PM
Its funny the buneary ice beam, buizel aqua jet combination. It just froze buizel in mid air

S.Suikun
26th July 2007, 11:08 PM
I'm honestly sorta grasping at straws thinking of what to say about this episode. That's how un-special it was. I dunno, maybe I was just spoiled by the last few weeks, but even though a few important tidbits happened (information on upcoming contest + some training and potential combos), it was hardly anything that exciting. At least we know that Zoey's Misdreavus isn't dead or anything, and I'd like to see where Dawn goes with this "frozen bullet" Buizel. And Shellos is tiny!

Sushi
27th July 2007, 12:20 AM
I felt like this was more of an episode focussed on characterization - even though the Contest training did play a big role visually.

With characterization, the one I'm mainly referring to is of course Zoey. While her overall personality is a bit too "normal" for my tastes, she stands out with special character traits that show from time to time - such as her being quick to judge on people (Ash).

I don't know if that a real trait of hers, but in this episode, she felt the need to defend someone younger who still made a lot of mistakes, but was trying her best (Dawn, when Jessie said that her combinations were awful). I don't know, but I would have liked to have someone like Zoey as my big sister! *killed*

Quite frankly, this is the episode where I liked Zoey the most. I think that she and Dawn could become great friends over the time, and while Zoey is far less provoking towards her rival which could be seen as a negative point, Dawn fills the role as the challenging one with the strong will to compete, so it's fairly balanced in the end.

..Oh noez and entire post dedicated to one character.

Err, the writers can never make up their mind about whether to make Ash look suitable for Contests or not, can they? Granted, he'd have failed if he had had to face Zoey instead of Dawn in this episode, but his combination attacks seemed just fine to me.

Anyway. Without having a deeper look at it, this episode probably had a boring set-up, but it was a needed episode nonetheless. And I think the writers at least tried by adding some small details that stood out - I'm talking about things like Marina's cameo, Zoey's injury, Team Rocket playing a role without stealing a Pokémon, many different Pokémon being in the spotlight.

Lastly, I lol'd when Dawn reproved Buneary for flirting with Pikachu while they were battling XD

Kazuki Mirai
27th July 2007, 9:23 AM
Marina makes cameo! =D She's top coordinator and her Wani-Wani (Whatever its nickname was in the dub) had evolved!

Buneary winks at Pikachu before battle and Dawn told her to knock it off.

Team Rocket didn't even got out of their disguises before running off. Well, at least they weren't doing anything annoying this episode other than being pwned like usual.

Cassiel
27th July 2007, 9:25 AM
Yes, I've seen Marina =]

I'm surprised that Feraligatr appeared instead of Misdreavus.. I don't see her Croconaw very much in the Pokemon chronicles..

mystkmastkal
27th July 2007, 9:28 AM
i was very surpised to see marina as the top cord. so she's a model and a top cord. i guess her dream came true!

wonder what happened to jimmy

The Benmeister
27th July 2007, 1:33 PM
Meh, a so-so episode. You can't really even comment on it, it was that kind of episode. But it would appear Marina's appearance is the most noticable part of this episode.

PANCAKE
27th July 2007, 2:10 PM
I'm still waiting for Jessie to retire Dustox or Seviper so she can have new Pokemon to showcase in the next couple contests. She's extinguished all of her and James' Pokemon and the "loaning" is getting boring. Dawn and Zoey have a fist full of creatures to do their bidding. C'mon writing staff... give Jessie a new pokemon gard damn-it!

And I'd be baffled still if Ash still entered the contests. Though his pokemon choreography surpasses even Dawns, I couldn't imagine why he'd even battle her for her precious ribbon. Would he throw the contest if it came down to him and her in a final round? :confused:

Neko Godot
27th July 2007, 4:22 PM
OMG We get to see Zoey's SOCKS!!!!!11111oneoneone

How sexy! ^^

S.Suikun
27th July 2007, 5:23 PM
I'm surprised that Feraligatr appeared instead of Misdreavus.. I don't see her Croconaw very much in the Pokemon chronicles..
Probably just to avoid repetition since we saw another coordinator's Misdreavus in the same episode.

OMG We get to see Zoey's SOCKS!!!!!11111oneoneone

How sexy! ^^
I think we've discovered the source of all her lesbian powers. Notice how much straighter she seemed and how less entranced Dawn was when she took it off. (Yes, I realize the lesbo joke died a long time ago)

AshfanGirl20
27th July 2007, 6:57 PM
This was an ok episode.
It was cool to see Ash battling: Contest style. Maybe that means Ash isn't done with contests just yet ^^
I loved the Zoey/Ash interaction whenever we had it, they need more I tell yah.

Gravy
27th July 2007, 7:11 PM
This was one of those episodes that is saved from mediocrity merely due to its premise and the few (slightly) amusing scenes that occur throughout. I can't really crit these guys for going out of their way to make an episode based solely on a main character's training methods, nor can I put them down for their foray into double appeals, something which I've personally been waiting for ever since contests first started. But the episode was pretty boring. The kind where your finger hovers over the bar, just itching to skip ahead 5 minutes to avoid the pang of impatience. Uhhh…

-Shellos was cute, and I thought it’s ability to manipulate it's spineless body was cool. Hope to see more of that.

- I wish they’d do something with Buneary that isn’t just a freaking wink or love-heart encrusted eyeballs. I liked the fact that it actually got to do some battling this episode, but god…the lagomorph really needs a god-damn episode where this aspect of it‘s personality is explored a litt…lot more.

-Buizel vs. Pochama is always fun. I know it amounts to nothing more than two pokémon yelling at each other, but it’s still entertaining. Also, glee. (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/?action=view&current=pochohsnap.jpg)

- I liked the Ash vs. Hikari battle. Yep.

-Might be interesting to note that Hikari's pokémon used that cheesy 'barrel roll' dodge again. Might being the keyword. I doubt anyone really cares that much, since the move was silly in the first place and was only used once in this episode anyway. Buuuut, it looks like it wasn't brushed under the carpet quite as much as many had initially thought.

(Yes, I realize the lesbo joke died a long time ago)
It did?

Mewalga_702
27th July 2007, 7:17 PM
yeah, i cant wait for shellos, it looks really cool

cassius335
27th July 2007, 8:32 PM
Err, the writers can never make up their mind about whether to make Ash look suitable for Contests or not, can they? Granted, he'd have failed if he had had to face Zoey instead of Dawn in this episode, but his combination attacks seemed just fine to me.

Possibly helps that he's had a couple of Gyms to warm up on by now. If nothing else, at least co-training with Dawn is doing him some good.

Hopefully he'll at least get another contest against Zoey sometime later on, just so that particular hatchet can be buried (If Nando doesn't do it first)

o.O
28th July 2007, 12:11 AM
Brock's Happiny wasn't in this Episode.
Zoey got a Shellos too.. And What attack was her Glameow using with Shellos?, Besides Shadow Claw.

Ancax
28th July 2007, 8:00 AM
Thumbs up for Jessie seeming much more like a rival than a villain :/

Princess Reina
28th July 2007, 2:38 PM
Hikari is weak in the battle
Hikari is weak in the Contest
Heh...even Jessie is better than her.
She should go home because is good for nothing. Her mother has been a Coordinator so I belived Hikari would be a good also, but now I see I was wrong- she sucks!

Zoey`s Shellos is really VERY cute! ^^

Korobooshi Kojiro
29th July 2007, 2:05 AM
I thought this episode was "cute". Mainly because of Shellos, the snail without a shell (it's part of a nudist colony), and because the random freaked out expression it had alot made me giggle. And it stretching like that was cool.

Aipom yelled "Hane!" at one part like Habunake as it slammed Buneary. It totally freaked me out, and I swear it sounded like the voice actor (who I don't even think is the same) was drunk and mixed up a crazy monkey with a snake. It happens. It did to me...that's how I almost died that one time at the Zoo.

Buizel's attempted Ice Spear is cool...I really can't wait to see it. This whole episode has me excited for the Double Contest, as it should be quite good. We'll see all of Dawn's Pokemon in action, which is a plus. And I want more Seviper x Dustox, as that Poison Sting Slam was extremely cool. And...it's pretty obvious what Cacnea and Carnivine will do for the Double Appeal. :)

I guess if Zoey is in it, then she'll have a 4th Pokemon by then...unless the ankle spraining means she won't be in it, which means we'll get maybe a neat One Shot dude. I'd love to see someone use a combo of say, Minomadam and Mothim, to make up for their lame debuts of sorts. And then for an appeal the Fireflys.

And glad to see Marina's starter caught up to the boys' starters, by reaching it's final form.

Zoey gets WiFi in the middle of the Forest of Despair...I guess even filler characters need the internet.

Ashy Boy
29th July 2007, 9:36 AM
I didn't quite get the plot of the whole episode.

pipersgirl™
29th July 2007, 9:41 AM
I wanna know more about Zoey's Shellos and how she nicknamed it SexyBeast.

Princess Reina
29th July 2007, 2:46 PM
I wanna know more about Zoey\'s Shellos and how she nicknamed it SexyBeast.

Sexy? -__-;

uber gon
1st August 2007, 9:08 AM
What attack did Wani-wani use?

Did Shellos use MUDDY WATER?

Does Glameow know ICE BEAM?

Finally, a characters gets hurt with only scratches.

P13
4th August 2007, 1:35 AM
Yay! Zoey protected Dawn's honor!

They're totally pushing that prince-princess angle, I tell you.

uber gon
4th August 2007, 7:06 AM
Yay! Zoey protected Dawn's honor!

They're totally pushing that prince-princess angle, I tell you.

Least they're making Zoey unlike Drew.

Maestro Kinético
4th August 2007, 8:05 PM
Plotless episode, I didn't like the work they did with Karanakushi. They should make Nozomis appearances worthy.

Geodude
6th August 2007, 9:59 PM
What attack did Wani-wani use?

Did Shellos use MUDDY WATER?

Does Glameow know ICE BEAM?

Finally, a characters gets hurt with only scratches.
1. Aqua Tail, apparently its own variation on it for appeal purposes.

2. Obviously not. It was gobs of mud that looked just like the Mud Shot attacks we've seen many times before. The Japanese name for Mud Shot (same thing) was not called however. Shellos' attack in the appeal demonstration Zoey did for Dawn was Mud Bomb.

3. No, Glameow's first attack after the Mud Bomb was Shock Wave.

MasterLucario
16th August 2007, 2:35 PM
Zoeys too confident in her self, so I dont like her. I hope her Shelos becomes Gastrodon

pipersgirl™
21st August 2007, 5:56 AM
I just watched this ep, Shellos is a girl, and kinda a scaredy cat.

uber gon
21st August 2007, 3:59 PM
1. Aqua Tail, apparently its own variation on it for appeal purposes.

2. Obviously not. It was gobs of mud that looked just like the Mud Shot attacks we've seen many times before. The Japanese name for Mud Shot (same thing) was not called however. Shellos' attack in the appeal demonstration Zoey did for Dawn was Mud Bomb.

3. No, Glameow's first attack after the Mud Bomb was Shock Wave.

THAT was MUD BOMB? Lame.

Ashy Boy
9th September 2007, 4:04 PM
What was Jessie trying to do in this episode?

uber gon
11th September 2007, 3:59 AM
What was Jessie trying to do in this episode?

Upstage Dawn. What'd you expect?

Ashy Boy
11th September 2007, 10:34 AM

Acutally, nothing less.

uber gon
11th September 2007, 11:04 PM
Acutally, nothing less.

Yeah, that's one of Jessie's habits.

Ashy Boy
15th September 2007, 12:47 PM
Is there a summary for this ep?

WaterDragon trainer
15th December 2007, 2:59 PM
This episode was good. It was pretty funny when Dawn made the comment of “who needs Pokemon Centers?” to Brock. It was kinda cool to see a Shellos. It was cool to see an Aqua Tail as well as a Mud Bomb. All the attack combinations were great.

Dax
15th December 2007, 3:45 PM
Well, I liked the conversations and Shellos was adorable with how shy it was. Buizel and Buneary were good but what excited me is that Dawn will have another chance to do a double appeal since those are the rules of the Grand Festival.

Geodude
15th December 2007, 9:09 PM
I love Zoey and Dawn's interactions. Their fashion styles are completely opposite, which shows a bit about their personalities, but they still interact really well together.

Dax
16th December 2007, 12:07 AM
I thought she sounded like a boy in this episode.

Corzola
16th December 2007, 10:24 AM
Good ep. Even if she was less fun in this ep than in the first Buizel ep I liked Zoeys ways of talking and thinking. The battles was ok, but not as intense as they could be. And another TR apperence were they are not trying to steal Pikachu, great! :)

7,5/10

Rebeccag
16th December 2007, 7:13 PM
lol i laughed when dawn said to brock who needs a pokemon centre and brock started shouting at her because without a pokemon centre there wouldnt be no nurse joys. Shellos was cute as well ^_^ and i also liked the interaction between Dawn and Zoey. Plus we got to see Marina too!. Also i laughed when Dawn went this is an appeal battle bunery not a date when Bunery was fliring with Pikachu

CyberCubed
16th December 2007, 7:47 PM
I thought she sounded like a boy in this episode.

Which makes sense since she's barely feminine.

P13
17th December 2007, 4:36 AM
Did anyone else get weirded out by the inconsistency of the pronunciation of the name "Shellos". When Zoey said it, it was shell-os, but when everyone else said it, it was shel-loss.

Or am I crazy?

uber gon
17th December 2007, 5:03 AM
Meh, I was disappointed that Mud Bomb was a redux of Mud Shot 1.0.

Ashy Boy
17th December 2007, 10:37 AM

What were the things that Jessie said to Dawn (and Zoey) in the dub version? I know it would have to be nasty but what?

Pokemon__
17th December 2007, 11:28 AM
What were the things that Jessie said to Dawn (and Zoey) in the dub version? I know it would have to be nasty but what?

Jessie told Dawn and Zoey that Dawn's appeal and Ice Beam/Aqua Jet combo stunk.

Ashy Boy
17th December 2007, 6:25 PM

What else did she say?

Xtra
19th December 2007, 12:34 AM

Though, in my opinion, Jesse did have a good point.

POKEMASTERNATHAN
20th December 2007, 3:09 AM
In my opinion,this was the best D/P episode yet.

It was a great idea making it so that the trainer was the one hurt,even though the wound looked so...mundane.But Pokemon Centers are a great thing,Dawn!I was expected to see Brock's reaction.Dawn was introduced to double battling,so that was good.But she still got electrocuted:)And for once,Brock managed to go a whole episode without flirting!I*beep*hate it when he does that.I despise Team Rocket,but I enjoyed their appearance in this episode.

uber gon
20th December 2007, 8:43 AM
You'd think Zoey would sound more in pain...

wobbanut
27th August 2008, 2:38 AM
Possibly the single-worst title in Pokemon dub history. :p

It was great to see Zoey again, and I like that Dawn gets a few tips from her in what moves to use for her next contest. I liked Jessie getting mad at Zoey for beating her and wanting her revenge. :) The practice fight with her was good, but I wish Jessie had done better after doing so well on her opening move with Dustox and Seviper. Darn those writers.

DanChimchar
6th October 2008, 9:35 PM
Hmm this episode was ok, I liked Buziel showing it's stuff. Anyways Shellos hmm thats how you say it I always Said She-los LOL
Anyways In My Opion It was a Okay Episode

(s.i.e)
11th March 2009, 11:43 AM
in this episode a trainer got hurt instead of the usual pokemon, it's a change of pace if you ask me, anyway it was a nice episode, one of the best.

Littlemyuu
27th April 2009, 4:01 PM
It was an nice episode Buiziel was really cool imo

S.Suikun
25th June 2009, 5:24 AM
History would have shined brighter upon this episode had the techniques introduced actually been used in the future. Since it has zero impact on the Yosuga Contest or any contest period, for that matter, the only real purpose this episode serves is to give Nozomi some more screentime. And on that note, I hate Nozomi in this episode. Up to this point, she had merely been stale, but at least her usage in the Buizel episode was alright. Here, we see her become more nosy as she dictates every move of Hikari's, which would only build up to the "What-I-say-goes" trade episode. Karanakushi is a cute Pokemon, but we don't see it do too much here.

The appeals practiced here are pretty cool, which only makes it even more of a shame that such things were never implemented. As a training episode, it's also a tad boring in parts, which is only enhanced by Nozomi's lack of distinguishable personality. Then there's the Marina cameo which exists only for the purpose of pointlessly hyping up some fans and annoying others through that pointless hype. I really don't want to scowl upon this episode for what failed to happen in the future, however. As it stands, it's a passable 22 minutes of entertainment.

C+

milenadrg
12th August 2009, 1:46 PM
I liked the episode. That Ice Aqua Jet was cool. I really liked Zoey's appeals and battles with Shellos and Glameow, they were awesome...

Ash-kid
12th August 2009, 5:00 PM
Great episode, i loved Sellos in this ep, it was cute.

Lorde
14th January 2010, 4:59 PM
What's up with the title? What's the pun?

Great episode, though I didn't think so at first because I didn't like the fact that Zoey got stronger. The fact that she got Shellos kinda bugged me. I was hoping Dawn would have caught one.

I liked the fact that Zoey gave Dawn pointers for the next Contest and that she explained the rules (GF rules apparently). Dawn helped Zoey too and they both trained together which was sweet. 6/10 for the simple but interesting plot.

Ash-kid
14th January 2010, 5:01 PM
What's up with the title? What's the pun?

The pun is that Zoey needs to sit down because of her leg, but to stand up to fight.

KGB13
24th January 2010, 4:32 AM
I think this episode was great. I liked all the battles and TR NOT trying to steal Pikachu or getting blasted off somewhere.

Rainbowdashtheawesome
2nd February 2010, 2:31 PM
I liked this episode a lot, especially with Zoey's double-performance. Who would have thought that a combination of electricity and mud would glitter? Maybe they should have picked a different water-type attack.

Willow's Tara
6th June 2010, 9:10 AM
It was an okay episode, it was nice to see Zoey. It's a shame Dawn lost even thought Zoey had given her tips. (But it was her first few double battles before).
If Shellos has the ability Storm Drain I wonder how Glameow managed to use Shock Wave while it was standing next to it.

wind21
3rd July 2010, 11:34 PM
I actually feel more ill today than I felt yesterday. Go figure.

It's a little bit of a frustrating time to try to review episodes, since there's a predominant sense of "been there, done that" on this site right now. I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to say that predictions are that Ash will lose to the trainer who's appearing specifically for the league (and one does show up), there will be some excuse for Dawn to leave the group and Ash to go to the new region, and so forth. It's sapping all the excitement of the league, especially since not all of these details have been confirmed. But what was proven right via the preview at the end of the episode for Ash's first round Sinnoh league match has been enough to say "Well, we've been here before, and so we know what's going to happen." Not that I don't think that any of this is wrong; more than 99.9% likely, if you had to say something, those predictions are the logical ones to make. But what's surprising/saddening to me is that even the homepage of this site has essentially listed some of these predictions as facts, citing what's happened in previous regions as support. I suppose none of this should bother me, but part of the fun of actually coming to a pokemon site, besides learning information, is to hopefully meet some people who have similar interests about the show. And for me, I want to enjoy the league; I want to think something is going to come out of it. And that's part of the reason I'm doing these reviews: Sinnoh has been amazing. It's important to stay in the moment, and considering how long it takes for the league to come around, it's a shame if it's not enjoyed more.

Well, sorry about that, I needed to get it off my mind. Zoey's 3rd appearance is a little better than her second, although I still think she struggles from the writers trying to make her a perfect coordinator, and doing that at the expense of our heroes. Here, it's Dawn who can't find the medicine in her bag needed for Zoey's injury, Brock producing it from his own bag (of course!), Dawn remarking who needs Nurse Joy, and then Brock working himself into a fitful range. That actually reminds me...once there was something Paul said to Dawn that sent her into a fitful rage as well back at the first gym. It really seems like the writers were trying to establish cross-interactions for Dawn/Paul and Ash/Zoey, but in the end basically gave up, especially after they decided to make Paul an experienced trainer rather than someone starting out. So now, there's not as much need for Ash to respect Zoey and Dawn to respect Paul since those 2 rivals are worlds apart; if Paul is a better trainer than Zoey, it's b/c he's more experienced and not necessarily more creative or talented. Wow! What a tangent that was. But getting back here, Brock's reaction causes Zoey to murmur to herself about how she liked it better when Dawn talked. Again, I think this is a little forced; Brock, despite his flaws, is very helpful when it comes to taking care of injuries and would normally give pointers about what he's doing, not start yelling b/c of a compliment.
The other negative would be Zoey's rematch with Jessie, which is again one-sided. The writers even try to make Zoey seem heroic in agreeing to battle by showing her grimacing due to her injury, but the scene just made me roll my eyes (it's very forced).

On the other hand, I think Zoey's helping Dawn out with her contest move was pretty neat. I'm not exactly sure why Zoey takes such a liking to Dawn (Paul's rivalry with Ash is much more understandable), but I'll say it's b/c she sensed that at heart, Dawn isn't too confident in herself. And considering how much Zoey likes to wisecrack and look cool (and boy, how the writers tried to oblige her in the beginning), Dawn is the perfect person to influence in that way (Dawn wants to look up to and admire somebody). Ash later on provides the perfect balance for Zoey with respect to Dawn's development: Zoey gets Dawn started as far as contest tactics are concerned; Ash is Dawn's training partner at times, but more importantly encourages her, even if Dawn doesn't succeed at what she's trying to do (to the pt of naivety from Ash). Speaking of Ash, his double battle with Dawn is actually pretty good, and Pikachu gets Buizel back for Buizel's cheap victory in Buizel's capture episode. This battle also is the first attempt at ice aqua jet, which is a move that's used a few more times at important moments later on in the storyline.

Lance The Champ
2nd December 2010, 2:04 PM
Meowth looks pretty awesome dressed like a gentleman

G50
27th April 2011, 10:41 AM
This episode was ok... It was cool to see a West Sea Pink Shellos for the 1st time. Shellos is so cute and shy, getting nervous around strangers. It was great that Dawn was learning how to do a double Contest Battle. Interesting how it was Buizel and Buneary vs Shellos and Glameow. It was funny when Buneary used Ice Beam on Buizel when it was in mid-air using Aqua Jet, and it ended up freezing it. It was funny when Buneary winked at Pikachu and then Dawn scolded it.

42/100