PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me...

Redeevee
29th July 2007, 12:15 AM
...or is Ash the worst character on the show now? He's been on this god-forsaken journey for years now! he's seen almost every Pokemon, he's battled 1564316 people (yes i just hit the number pad), and he's faced Team Rocket 45232325 times!

YET

He still battles like a n00b.
Doesnt recognize a single Pokemon
He barely has any pokemon
still doesnt recognize Team Rocket in their lame "disguises"

and has shitty dialouge.

They should have started the DP series w/o Ash. Made it Lucas, Dawn, and some other cheerleader third person.

Ampris
29th July 2007, 12:24 AM
You forgot 'he has the personality of a cardboard cutout'. Everyone makes a point of saying that about Brock, but no one ever mentions how it's almost equally true for Ash. The biggest difference is that Ash gets to battle all the time, but other than that he's as average, dull, vapid, flat, and boring as they come (personality-wise), and that's hardly fun watch. A better protagonist would be much appreciated. But sadly, since Ash has been here since for such a long time, we're probably going to be stuck with him forever.

Prio
29th July 2007, 12:28 AM
Pikachu which beat Lance's (one of the elite fours) Dragonite, and lost to an Elekid.

Gravy
29th July 2007, 12:39 AM
Pikachu which beat Lance's (one of the elite fours) Dragonite
‘Cept for the fact that this never happened, of course.

zeno48
29th July 2007, 12:48 AM
Pikachu which beat Lance's (one of the elite fours) Dragonite, and lost to an Elekid.

Pikachu beat a powerful regice but tied to a small elekid.

CyberCubed
29th July 2007, 6:57 AM
You forgot 'he has the personality of a cardboard cutout'. Everyone makes a point of saying that about Brock, but no one ever mentions how it's almost equally true for Ash. The biggest difference is that Ash gets to battle all the time, but other than that he's as average, dull, vapid, flat, and boring as they come (personality-wise), and that's hardly fun watch. A better protagonist would be much appreciated. But sadly, since Ash has been here since for such a long time, we're probably going to be stuck with him forever.

The thing is though that Ash gets tons of screentime, and as a result he has a lot more memorable moments.

Brock is a great character whenever the writers use him correctly, but they keep him in the background far too much. Croagunk is the best thing to ever happen to him, but Brock doesn't really get any more spotlight in D/P than he got in AG. He still has to get the scraps after Ash and Dawn get all the spotlight, much like with Ash and May in the previous saga.

thunderblade12
29th July 2007, 7:05 AM

ash never battled lance.....his dragonite would kill drakes.

your half right though..it was believable when pikachu lost to electivire..because electivire is pretty close to being a legendary based on its attack and speed stats. but elekid? even jessie's seviper, who pikachu beat over 50 times should be stronger than that thing

pipersgirl™
29th July 2007, 7:10 AM
I agree wholeheartedly. Ash is becoming a stick in the mud with his
"I hear ya!" and "I gotta do the right thing, even if it means killing a little old lady!!" and "crying because pikachu seems like it will leave me forever, when I know for sure that if that happened, this show, which is becoming extremelly dull and unfunny, will cease to exist.....forever....and ever....and ever.......

abgar
29th July 2007, 7:12 AM
pikachu is the base of the anime, but he is stick to ash, so he cant go if pikachu inst going to, thats - money to the developers

Rave
29th July 2007, 8:28 AM
Well.. Pikachu is mostly the Pokemon mascot really.

Ash has been pretty much used up the whole time, but he's gonna remain there forever.

So don't expect to lose Ash on the Pokemon TV version at all. Same goes for Brock. Since its kinda hard to see the writers ditching Brock anymore. I mean, if the show doesn't have Ash, Pikachu and Brock, then it would kinda go crappy then.

Power of Fire
29th July 2007, 8:59 AM
yeah its just you............

did you know pikachu bate regice thats not battling like a noob thats called and expert batttle

Prio
29th July 2007, 9:05 AM
yeah its just you............

did you know pikachu bate regice thats not battling like a noob thats called and expert batttle

Then he lost to Elekid, that an expert batttler right thar.

Power of Fire
29th July 2007, 9:07 AM
i said regice REGICE. he bate the battle frontier and all thats an expert

paul maybe stole torterra and weaville or maybe he works for team rocket

Drkecho
29th July 2007, 9:12 AM
Ah, you now just realised the downfall of the Pokemon anime?

Drkecho
29th July 2007, 9:25 AM
paul maybe stole torterra and weaville or maybe he works for team rocket Ok now thats the most bs thing I've ever heard

smartdude7
29th July 2007, 9:32 AM
Ok now thats the most bs thing I've ever heard

I agree with you.

Gravy
29th July 2007, 11:10 AM
Then he lost to Elekid, that an expert batttler right thar.
'Cept for the fact that, y'know, the Elekid is more than likely just a strong as Pikachu, since it's trainer has been traveling just as long as Ash has.

Next cliché complaint please!

Venusaur Master
29th July 2007, 11:39 AM
lets face it Ash is a over confident, dim witted trainer he cares more about pokemon that humans , he should just grow up

larvitar005
29th July 2007, 11:43 AM
Yeah, I think Ash is one of the lamest character in the anime, but he has some unique qualities too...

sauzaa
29th July 2007, 11:51 AM
It was when Ash got so lame I stopped watching the Anime. And that was years ago O.o

Guy
29th July 2007, 1:01 PM
...or is Ash the worst character on the show now? He's been on this god-forsaken journey for years now! he's seen almost every Pokemon, he's battled 1564316 people (yes i just hit the number pad), and he's faced Team Rocket 45232325 times!

YET

and has shitty dialouge.

They should have started the DP series w/o Ash. Made it Lucas, Dawn, and some other cheerleader third person.

exactly my thoughts. plus he never tries to get rid of team rocket ever even though they give him endless trouble(or annoyance actually.) the show should have killed off Team Rocket after Orange Islands at least, and they should have actually killed off team rocket after Master Quest at the least.

zeno48
29th July 2007, 5:25 PM
'Cept for the fact that, y'know, the Elekid is more than likely just a strong as Pikachu, since it's trainer has been traveling just as long as Ash has.

Next cliché complaint please!

The thing is elekid was striking Pikachu with a lot of attacks while pikachu only landed one iron tail and it still manage to tie with it. What does that tell you? If pikachu decided to use iron tail at the beginning of the match it would have won.

Charlord
29th July 2007, 7:10 PM
What?! ash is awesome! he and pikachu are what make the show

Spriteman
29th July 2007, 7:33 PM
My dream cast:

Main character: Wes from Colosseum, with is pet ginger girl.
Secondary character: ADD Rival from DP.
Additional characters for the hell of it: Koga and Gardenia!

Yaiz! The first episode would involve Ash's skull and a crowbar..

Charlord
29th July 2007, 7:40 PM
My dream cast:

Main character: Wes from Colosseum, with is pet ginger girl.
Secondary character: ADD Rival from DP.
Additional characters for the hell of it: Koga and Gardenia!

Yaiz! The first episode would involve Ash's skull and a crowbar..

how could watch the show and hate ash so much, he is what makes the show

Prio
29th July 2007, 7:43 PM
how could watch the show and hate ash so much, he is what makes the show

No, the god damn electric rat is what makes the show.

Charlord
29th July 2007, 7:44 PM
but who does i belong to? ASH!

Redeevee
30th July 2007, 6:04 PM
ash has been around the longest. and has he had any character development? not really. He's barely changed, but all his experience is erased w/ each new season.

They should've made a new main character and given him a Pikachu.

zeno48
1st August 2007, 7:27 PM
ash has been around the longest. and has he had any character development? not really. He's barely changed, but all his experience is erased w/ each new season.

They should've made a new main character and given him a Pikachu.

^Yeah I hate how they do that. Ash enters a new region and it seems like he is starting out for the first time. Do they reset his level or what lol?

Link_
1st August 2007, 10:01 PM
Yah, Ash forgets everthing when he goes to a new region. Pikachu beat brandens Regice and then lost to Pauls chimchar

Link_

zeno48
1st August 2007, 10:06 PM
Yah, Ash forgets everthing when he goes to a new region. Pikachu beat brandens Regice and then lost to Pauls chimchar

Link_

He did not lose to chimchar he tied with elekid.

Geostomp
4th August 2007, 3:56 PM
Ash gets an impressive amount of hate for someone that people say is so bland.

The whole anime is, in my opinion, about Ash's journey to become a Master. Despite the focus on May's garbage we've had recently, Ash's journey is the most important thing. He is the show so just tossing him out isn't an option. Such a thing isn't achieved as easily as beating eight gyms and winning a League competition, it takes much more.

True, Ash's development has been a bit lacking at times, but it's unfair to say he's had no development at all. He's not the same childish doofus he was when he began his journey. He's become more mature, more calm, more independent, and far more skilled. The changes are subtle, but they are there. He's not perfect, but he's not a complete fool as so many are quick to call him.

Yes, he's excitable and good hearted, but that's just the way he always has been. It's just that we've seen so many main characters with those atributes in their personalities in anime that it's been ingrained in us that it must mean that they have zero personality because we ignore everything else.

The trouble appears to come from the writers being too intent on advertising the games to make a great story from the potential that they had at their fingertips. If Ash got more focus and fewer repeated stories, he'd probably be better liked.

Anyway, the amount of bashing Ash gets is really unbelievable now.

MinunTheFighter34
4th August 2007, 3:59 PM
Pikachu is what makes the show good.

du1387
4th August 2007, 4:08 PM
I stopped watching it because I liked the games more. Personally, Brock does nothing to the series except for hit on girls and spout random bits of information. I actually like misty a heck of a lot more than brock.

Excalibur
4th August 2007, 5:21 PM
We need new, more mature anime. Pokemon for 13+.

Rex Kamex
4th August 2007, 5:40 PM
Ash gets an impressive amount of hate for someone that people say is so bland.

The whole anime is, in my opinion, about Ash's journey to become a Master. Despite the focus on May's garbage we've had recently, Ash's journey is the most important thing. He is the show so just tossing him out isn't an option. Such a thing isn't achieved as easily as beating eight gyms and winning a League competition, it takes much more.

Contests became the second plot of the show. (May isn't even doing contests in the show anymore- Dawn is now.)

Liberty4Pokemon
4th August 2007, 6:14 PM
At first Ash was fairly interesting, with his antics and dumb-luck and fights with Misty. But now he's just become a very dull character. It's not really his stupidity, I guess it's just becuase he doesn't have much in the way of a personality anymore.

But I don't see the writers doing away with him anytime soon (as much as I would like them to...), he's still a very popular character, and viewers have just gotten used to him being in every episode.

Liberty4Pokemon
4th August 2007, 6:14 PM
At first Ash was fairly interesting, with his antics and dumb-luck and fights with Misty. But now he's just become a very dull character. It's not really his stupidity, I guess it's just becuase he doesn't have much in the way of a personality anymore.

But I don't see the writers doing away with him anytime soon (as much as I would like them to...), he's still a very popular character, and viewers have just gotten used to him being in every episode.

Geostomp
4th August 2007, 7:58 PM

I think it's actually due to the fact that he has matured a bit that his personality has become more even or "dull" as you've put it.

When a character starts aging in a series, many of the quirks they had that go hand-in-hand with immaturity begin to disappear. This often results in people who liked those traits losing interest in the character. Sometimes it even gets so bad that people begin to hate said character for not being the same as they once were.

It's not that he hasn't changed that people hate, it's that he has grown a bit.

Korobooshi Kojiro
4th August 2007, 7:59 PM
Personally I started to like Ash in AG when his team became quite cool to watch in battle.

Sharpay Oak
4th August 2007, 8:45 PM
We need new, more mature anime. Pokemon for 13+.

Woot! Thumbs up! Exactly what we all needed. And also, anime which relates to the games and DOES NOT LIE TO LITTLE KIDS ABOUT ATTACK TYPE MATCHUPS!!! I've always hated Ash and his retarded Pokemon! Gary shoulda beat him in Master Quest. I'm sick of him getting his badges out of pure, dumb luck and out of sympathy while we have to train our *****es off for them!

And for the love of God, how is it so coincidental that Ash ALWAYS bumps into Team Rocket??? The anime is really going downhill... We need an anime which works like the manga dammit: action-packed and exciting!

PS: If you've got time, go to Newgrounds and check out "Pokemon in a Nutshell". It will cover what I've said and what all of you've said

Geostomp
4th August 2007, 9:02 PM
Woot! Thumbs up! Exactly what we all needed. And also, anime which relates to the games and DOES NOT LIE TO LITTLE KIDS ABOUT ATTACK TYPE MATCHUPS!!! I've always hated Ash and his retarded Pokemon! Gary shoulda beat him in Master Quest. I'm sick of him getting his badges out of pure, dumb luck and out of sympathy while we have to train our *****es off for them!

Yeah, how dare Ground types be immune to any and all amounts of electricity. Everyone knows that a level two Diglett should be able to laugh in the face of a Raikou.

How dare Ash actually beat Gary competely fairly. I mean Charizard flying to avoid being hit, that had to be Dues Ex Machina as it cannot be that a somewhat moblile dragon could out manuever a water-filled turtle.

And especially, how dare Ash win any gym badges though strategies in battle beyond move types. Everyone knows you have to train your pokemon by pummeling enough wild ones until it suddenly gets strong enough to plow through a Gym Leader in five minuets at longest.

Who cares if the show is painfully dull to watch, at least it won't mislead little kids into thinking that a world cannot disobey the laws of a game designed for balance.

Anaya
7th August 2007, 7:24 AM
Haha yeah. He really needs to get a little more better.

Satoshi
7th August 2007, 7:40 AM
and he's faced Team Rocket 45232325 times!Pokemon has 45232325 episodes?

OH SHI-

yea dude i can frikken ninja him in a dungeon any day.

i bet the n0000000000000b doesn't even haev al his skillz set! my sin can pwn him ny day.

Care to back that up?

Because threads that back up supposed "facts" would be nice for a change...

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Ha.

As most of the other characters.

and has shitty dialouge.
As most of the other characters

Pro tip: Don't randomly press the enter button in the middle of typing something that's supposed to be taken seriously.

Let's make him perfect. Yeah! Turn the group even more Mary Sue-ish than it already is with their personal chef and whatnot.

chorusco
8th August 2007, 12:23 PM
Lots Of People Bump The Anime
Its Aimed At Kids You Know ;)

Sird
10th August 2007, 11:03 AM
I Agree. Ash Is Stupid.

What To Do?

Shishioken
10th August 2007, 11:26 AM
It was when Ash got so lame I stopped watching the Anime. And that was years ago O.o

I've never even started...alright, I'll admit I watched it on like a...monthly basis or something once, but that was TEN years ago, and can't stand it for a nanosecond these days. Just cancel the goddamn piece of crap that involves filling in the blanks:

Ash, Misty/orwhateverfemalecharacterthey'vegotnow and Brock/whatever *******sidekickolderguy travel to the town of __________, where they meet __________, a pokemon trainer, a pokemon, or some random event which is a waste of ****ing screentime and a piece of crap filler that has lasted along with its precedessors which are basically the same yet still pulling in the ratings because the f*cking 2 year-olds just can't stop watching, mostly due to them sniffing glue 24/7, burning out all their brain cells daily
. __________ has a problem with their __________. Team Rocket, traveling in their mechanical __________ devise their 129028308302948th plan to steal the __________ and/or pikachu. They build a machine/dig a hole/whatever that __________ the pokemon, ready for capture. The match between Ash, __________ and the __________ is interrupted by Team Rocket, but Pikachu ends up destroying the __________ machine or simply zapping them, sending Team Rocket off with a huge explosion, Blasting Off Again™. Ash and __________ resume the battle, where the dimwitted ******* learns from the experience for the 500+th time and becomes a "better" trainer along with their __________. After a goodbye, Ash, __________ and __________ travel on to the next part of their adventure.

and stop tarnishing the reputation of the games which were alright RPG's up 'til Gold/Silver/Crystal/ but fell to a stump with the release of R/S.

Mr. Yoshi
10th August 2007, 11:31 AM
all i have to say in this thread is:

AAAAAMMMMMMEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Korobooshi Kojiro
10th August 2007, 7:12 PM
I'm sick of him getting his badges out of pure, dumb luck and out of sympathy while we have to train our *****es off for them!

Well, first all, you know...you "train your *** off" by sitting in a bedroom and pushing buttons on a game.

-_-

I don't get why people yell at Ash for those reasons.

Geostomp
11th August 2007, 2:22 AM
Me, either.

I'll never understand why people claim they're so much better than Ash because they won a videogame with rules dedicated to balance alone.

It's like somebody claiming they can beat the entire NFL because they're good at Madden.

morefirepokemon
11th August 2007, 2:31 AM
yep ash is a goof ball and a wing nut and a knucleheadmcspazatron (thank u spongebob)
and his pokemon seemingly beat good pokemon like brandons regice with ease and get their arses kicked by wimmpy pokes, the anime needs a complte overhaul new characters story line and dare i say it a world where pikachu can actually beat elekid beacse the thing has got to be at least to lvl. 70

Charlord
11th August 2007, 5:27 PM
his pokemon lose because thos supposedly weak pokemon they fight are trained harshly and have different battle styles although they haven't evolved not to forget he switches pokemon between regions. geez

Korobooshi Kojiro
11th August 2007, 5:30 PM
Not too mention Paul has been through as many regions as Ash, making the Elekid debate null and voice.

Charlord
11th August 2007, 5:31 PM
Not too mention Paul has been through as many regions as Ash, making the Elekid debate null and voice.

thank u at least there r some people who actually like the show besides me

Asuna
12th August 2007, 9:53 AM
I'd have to agree about Ash being such a sucky character. He's boring =/

Dax
12th August 2007, 5:07 PM
The thing is elekid was striking Pikachu with a lot of attacks while pikachu only landed one iron tail and it still manage to tie with it. What does that tell you? If pikachu decided to use iron tail at the beginning of the match it would have won.

Pikachu is not the one that decides to use Iron Tail, Ash has to command him to use Iron Tail. And as you can see you are complaining about something that really has a proof to what happened. Paul is not a beginner and maybe Elekid is much as experienced or maybe even more experienced than Pikachu.

Satoshi
12th August 2007, 8:08 PM
I'd have to agree about Ash being such a sucky character. He's boring =/At least, he's boring *now* Back during his old run, at least he has that "shounen hero" persona that kept him somewhat interesting during the show. Now he's just kind of a... stick.

At least we know they developed his character...