PDA

View Full Version : The real problem with the Pokemon anime.

Geostomp
7th August 2007, 3:11 PM
I feel that the real issue the anime has, aside from recycled plots, is that the writers always have to choose between game-accuracy and making the battles visually entertaining.

The writing staff knows they will get blasted for not following the most inane game rules, but also know that they will drive people away with dull battles that are completely true to the original material.

Look at what people often whine about: Ash won a battle with unexpected strategy, X pokemon took too much damage, pokemon getting up after being knocked down, not enough evolutions, Pikachu in general, attacks doing more than they should, Ash in general. All that clamors for a fully game accurate anime, but ignores that such a thing would get so dull after a while.

Combine that with public whining about the cast, especially Ash, not doing exactly what the "fans" want, and you have a huge headache.

I really feel sorry for the writing staff knowing that they cannot ever please people in what they do (without having to pimp certain characters to appeal to lustful male fans).

Charlord
7th August 2007, 5:17 PM
i like the way the anime is

Korobooshi Kojiro
7th August 2007, 5:19 PM
I actually kind of agree with you. The people who demand the Anime follow the games to the tee is pretty lame. It's like people want Ash to walk around in the grass chaining Pokemon to get a shiny with the Pokeradar, beating up Zubats to EV train, and having turn by turn battles.

Sogeking
7th August 2007, 9:39 PM
I actually wish the games were like the anime.

Missingnoguy55
7th August 2007, 9:48 PM
The games go with the Manga, not the Animé. But they should make the Animé more like the games. Ash has encountered Shiny Pokémon before, but he dosen't know the odds of them appearing.

I do half agree on this, Ash dosen't know EVERYTHING. He has to know about EVs, Shinies, Chaining, Base Stats, and some other things that weren't included.

Shadow Lucario
7th August 2007, 10:09 PM
Like stated before I also wish that the games were like the anime. That would be cool

Kenpachi
7th August 2007, 10:17 PM
^ I'd love to be able to "Dodge and use -insert attack-"
But attacks in the anime are so easy to dodge. In the game, Apiom would
miss every time with his Focus Punch.

pokemaster95
7th August 2007, 10:24 PM
The anime could be better but they dont need to follow a game alot.

octoboy
7th August 2007, 11:13 PM
Yes, people do complain too often about the anime not being exactly like the game.

I actually see the reason it's not. I was once playing my game and imagining what it would be like if the anime was based on a real person's and I came to the conclusion that it would be awful.

First of all, there's the fact that most people will catch so many pokemon. In the anime, people had a small number of pokemon to make teams and personalize them. In the games, most people own one of most species. Many people catch pokemon "for the pokedex" and then don't touch them again. If people did that in the show, they wouldn't really have that much personalized teams because everyone would have the same pokemon as everyone else.

Secondly, the battles would be way too easily won. The anime centers around the "in-game quest", which most people beat easily . If the anime focused around the game, there would be a lot of battles won simply by one hit KOing everyone who challenges. My cousin took only two weeks to beat the game. Yup, that's how easily some people can win.

Thirdly, standard game teams usually consist of evolved and legendary pokemon. Imagine if that was the same for the anime. The pokemon would hardly be characters anymore. And as I said before, the battles would be won way too easily. Just one good hyper beam and BAM, I win, I win! Not much fun.

So, there's why I think the anime is best like this. Now the question is, would the people who whine about it not being exactly like the game be satisfied if it was exactly like the games?

And to all those who wanted an anime style game, I agree. Though it still would be static, as it is a video game.

CyberCubed
8th August 2007, 12:20 AM
The best thing for the writers is to continue doing what they're doing. It was really only the Season 1 battles that annoyed people, such as Pikachu winning against ground types, etc.

We don't have that much anymore.

Dax
8th August 2007, 1:01 AM
Actually Pikachu still wins against Ground Types but they always have an intelligent way to show it. It doesn't defeat the pokemon with the electric attacks but with other attacks and strategies. That makes the defeat more believable. I think the first battles lacked of actual strategy and a great explanation on what happened and why Ash won that respective battle.

I still can't get over the fact of Pikachu defeating Rhydon with a Tunderbolt...a single Thunderbolt.

Korobooshi Kojiro
8th August 2007, 1:05 AM
The thing that confuses me the most is why people claim the Anime sucks because "it's repetitive" and then go on about the game's superiority...but, y'know, the games are repetitive too.

octoboy
8th August 2007, 1:08 AM
Yes, even moreso because the anime can have different strategies which involve movement. In the games, there are only four moves, so any strategy would involve just using the same moves over and over.

mew151
8th August 2007, 6:01 AM
Thank god for D&P which corrects the errors of Pikachu's previous fights against Rock/Ground monsters. Satoshi's Pikachu VS Hyouta's Onix was the most memorable fight I have ever seen. Still, I wasn't sure if Thunderbolt did any damage to Onix. But at least he was not finished by that attack.

1st season really messed up the electric VS rock part. I understood Pikachu defeating Blaine's Rhydon and the Rhydon from the Orange Islands saga, but Rocket Gang's Rhydon, from the 8th Gym Battle, confused me again. I also didn't get how Pikachu cannot touch Kabutops, them being Rock/Water monsters.

Well my hopes for the Pokemon D/P anime is for them to stop confusing viewers with these ridiculous wins that had no explanation whatsoever. Even Pikachu defeating Roxanne's Geodude by a close-up Thunder I cannot believe. No matter how close ground monsters are to electricity, they should not take any damage/effects at all.

Charizard Lord
8th August 2007, 6:08 AM
First i would like to say someone who posted on this thread totally ripped their name off mine (Im talking about you Charlord)

On Topic: Like everyone i gripe about unfair advantages toward Ash and Pikachu.

Prio
8th August 2007, 6:12 AM
It should follow the manga.

octoboy
8th August 2007, 8:25 AM
First i would like to say someone who posted on this thread totally ripped their name off mine (Im talking about you Charlord)

On Topic: Like everyone i gripe about unfair advantages toward Ash and Pikachu.

On that part I agree on. Pikachu can get annoyingly uber at times. So it's understandable that people are bugged he can hit ground types. That denotes his only potential weakness.

SBaby
8th August 2007, 8:44 AM
The real problem with Pokemon is that it's repetitive, and the story is just totally uninspired. I mean, the premise is still Ash going to the Region, challenging the 8 Gym Leaders and going to the League. This has been repeated four times now. Not to mention Team Rocket, and the miscellaneous Trainer-in-need scenario that's been done... um... how many episodes are in this series now?

Haven't we overdone that plot already? I mean, Pokemon has become more repetitive than Zelda, which is an accomplishment that I once deemed to be mathematically impossible.

It's got nothing to do with Ash and Pikachu. Even if they left the show, someone else would do the exact same thing. Until Nintendo and Game Freak address this, it'll continue to produce boring plots for the show.

Heracross
8th August 2007, 8:52 AM
Maybe it's just me, but of all the things they could improve about the show, the accuracy of game mechanics is not one of the first things that comes to mind. Things such as the poor resolution of the Magma/Aqua dan plot, rushing through every league and pulling last minute rivals, and p!ssing on continuity are much worse as far as I'm conscerned.

Metal Bird
8th August 2007, 9:23 AM
The least I could say is, there's alot of things to be redone on Pokemon. Just click on my signature and you'll see what I mean.

P.S. "Gotta restore 'em all!"

Princess Reina
8th August 2007, 9:30 AM

Without any rules, yes?

The anime is the worst and the weakest part of Pokemon. They dont follow levels, movepools, stats- nothing. I have seen Meowth who won to Rhydon, Phnapy who beat Arbok and Weezing, Wooper who kicked Arbok etc. Also, the writers dont give a crap about Team Galactic, we havent seen Mars`s mission in the WindValley (sorry I forgot the name), we lost Jupiter`s mission too. The anime should follow the games little harder. I would like to see the trainers from the games too (Picnickers, Lasses, Ladies etc.). Probably it wont happen.

chorusco
8th August 2007, 9:55 AM
The Further On They Go With The Anime The More Accurate It Gets ( In My View )

Gravy
8th August 2007, 10:27 AM
About the only real issue I have with watching animé battles is the fact that small pokémon can often defeat something 5 times their size. Granted, it’s usually ater much struggling, but still, you feel a little awkward when watching something like Turtwig swing Rampard around by the tail and flinging it across the gym like a rag-doll. I’m all for creative writing, but stuff like that is just silly. I'm sure there are many ways they could handled scenes such as this differently, yet they usually seem willing to go with whatever is convinient, leading to some bizzare occurences. But other than that? No, I have no qualms with how the show goes about this sort of thing, especially when it produces stuff as epic as Combusken vs. Absol for example.

Anyone wanting levels and stats is living in a fantasy world. I honestly can't understand how they'd expect to get decent brawls when they'd be forced to stick to strict rules and regulations, let alone the writers of the show actually reading into to stuff like that, not only wasting their own time in the process, but severely limiting the amount of freedom they have.

Korobooshi Kojiro
8th August 2007, 1:09 PM
It should follow the manga.
No, it does not need to a follow a manga. Notice I put "a" and not "the".

The least I could say is, there's alot of things to be redone on Pokemon. Just click on my signature and you'll see what I mean.

P.S. "Gotta restore 'em all!"

No.

I mean, the premise is still Ash going to the Region, challenging the 8 Gym Leaders and going to the League
Hey...sounds like the game!

PDL
8th August 2007, 2:02 PM
Anyone wanting levels and stats is living in a fantasy world. I honestly can't understand how they'd expect to get decent brawls when they'd be forced to stick to strict rules and regulations, let alone the writers of the show actually reading into to stuff like that, not only wasting their own time in the process, but severely limiting the amount of freedom they have.

Not to mention it'll confuse the everliving crap out of viewers who don't follow the game series at all. (non-fans and people who *gasp* don't actually play the games)

Yeah, the "problem" with the pokemon anime isn't really with the anime or the games... it's actually most fan's viewpoint that's the problem.

Soulworage717
8th August 2007, 4:38 PM
Uuugh I hate it when people think we nay-sayers want it to be EXACTLY like the game. It's like they don't listen to me...bloody tarts.

I actually don't want levels/movepools/stats/etc. pushed to the extreme. But for god's sake they have GOT TO MEAN SOMETHING. A Regice's 200 SP.Def has to MEAN SOMETHING. But it doesn't apparently, because a Pikachu can totally beat Regice given the off-chance. Yet it can't beat a humble Chimchar in a random situation. It's like game mechanics don't exist at all. I'm going as far to say the writers think the game doesn't exist. I'm thinking they don't even read a freaking PokeDex for crying out loud!

Another thing I want to address. We need more interesting battles. Again, it needs to follow the game A BIT MORE, not FULLY. I'm tired of all these stupid battles that are NEVER ONE SIDED AND ALWAYS END WITH A STANDOFF. Tell me the last battle that was one-sided and victory was too obvious. Game has battles one-sided. WE NEED TO AT LEAST SHOW THEM THAT TRYING TO USE A PIKACHU AGAINST A REGICE IS A BAD IDEA.

And if you think this isn't a big deal, I know a kid who thought Rapidash was the fastest Pokemon because the anime told him so. ...If stuff like that is happening, this IS urgent.

------

Also, Anime needs to take pointers from Manga.

Manga: Yano, all this game does is try to beat the Elite 4 but you know what, that's boring. We'll go off on our own way and have different storylines and instead of it being just 1 huge clump of the same thing over-decorated with dull side-plots. Because we should focus on more than 1 character because, well, it's not just Pokemon, man. We need interesting people too.

And of course the Anime does the exact opposite of this. At this rate everybody would want Team Rocket dead, I swear.

------

Final note:

The best thing for the writers is to continue doing what they're doing. It was really only the Season 1 battles that annoyed people, such as Pikachu winning against ground types, etc.

We don't have that much anymore.

It still happens. Cranidos with Flamethrower. The worst use of a moveslot, ever. EVER.

You're glad I don't come to your house and insert multiple nails in your brain for the most stupidest post I've heard for quite a while. I'm trying to withhold my rage as hard as I can but that's very hard to do.

Korobooshi Kojiro
8th August 2007, 4:43 PM
It still happens. Cranidos with Flamethrower. The worst use of a moveslot, ever. EVER.

Thanks for proving the TC's point.

Soulworage717
8th August 2007, 4:46 PM
Can you please try not to use abbreviations? I don't come here often.

Korobooshi Kojiro
8th August 2007, 4:53 PM
Topic Creator.

You just acted like Pokemon are limited to only four moves when Cranidos displayed quite a couple different attacks. I don't see why it'd be logical in the show for them to be limited to four moves. I mean, really, its in the games for balance but a Pokemon such as Crandios forgetting "Headbutt" when it learns Flamethrower is just dumb.

Soulworage717
8th August 2007, 6:08 PM
Thank you.

You sounded like the 4 move limit doesn't exist in the anime. Hard to believe, but it did at some point and probably still exists to this day.

The problem I'm having is the improbability of a Cranidos' Flamethrower working anywhere else outside of the anime. Not only is it a bad move when considering what it does in the anime, (*1)
having a fire move is a waste since Cranidos learns no physical fire move. And since children gets ideas from this show, they'd get a crash course in reality when they waste their Flamethrower TM on Cranidos only to realize it's vastly inferior to physical attacks it can and will learn naturally. I mean come on his attack base is FOUR TIMES larger than Special Attack WHAT WAS ROARK THINKING?!?

BTW, if the writers don't care about physical and special what was the point of Aerodactyl using Giga Impact? Why not just keep bad traditions and give it a textbook Hyper Beam?

*1: Anime physics, sure you have a long range move but it won't fix the problem of faster Pokemon destroying you. Also if stats meant anything you'd be able to pull off a small stream of fire at best. But this is just my assumption.

Geostomp
8th August 2007, 6:39 PM
Another thing I want to address. We need more interesting battles. Again, it needs to follow the game A BIT MORE, not FULLY. I'm tired of all these stupid battles that are NEVER ONE SIDED AND ALWAYS END WITH A STANDOFF. Tell me the last battle that was one-sided and victory was too obvious. Game has battles one-sided. WE NEED TO AT LEAST SHOW THEM THAT TRYING TO USE A PIKACHU AGAINST A REGICE IS A BAD IDEA.

1) Fine then, most battles will now be over in five seconds. I'm sure that it'll be great to watch Ash never be challenged in a battle.

2) Ash's Pikachu has been established to be abnormally strong from the first episode. He didn't go in with the intention of throwing up against the strongest oppoent possible, but that's the way it went since Charizard was taken down too early.

And if you think this isn't a big deal, I know a kid who thought Rapidash was the fastest Pokemon because the anime told him so. ...If stuff like that is happening, this IS urgent.

The anime isn't an instructional series for the games, it's meant to be entertaining and slightly more realistic than them. If Little Timmy expects a videogame-based series to teach him every single thing about the games, he really needs to be taught somewhere else.

Also, Anime needs to take pointers from Manga.

Manga: Yano, all this game does is try to beat the Elite 4 but you know what, that's boring. We'll go off on our own way and have different storylines and instead of it being just 1 huge clump of the same thing over-decorated with dull side-plots. Because we should focus on more than 1 character because, well, it's not just Pokemon, man. We need interesting people too.

And of course the Anime does the exact opposite of this. At this rate everybody would want Team Rocket dead, I swear.

Which Manga do you want them to follow? Most of them completely throw game stuff out the window for comedy or melodrama worse than even Thunder Armor could.

You sounded like the 4 move limit doesn't exist in the anime. Hard to believe, but it did at some point and probably still exists to this day.

It never did. Pokemon have enough brains to use more than 4 moves. Do you really think that a pokemon who learned to master the elements forgets how to ram itself into something to do so?

I mean come on his attack base is FOUR TIMES larger than Special Attack WHAT WAS ROARK THINKING?!?

Maybe he wanted an edge against one of his biggest weaknesses?

BTW, if the writers don't care about physical and special what was the point of Aerodactyl using Giga Impact? Why not just keep bad traditions and give it a textbook Hyper Beam?

It had both. Giga Impact was just shown more because Hyper Beam has gotten old now.

Meta_Ridley
8th August 2007, 8:59 PM
The 3rd Movie was the most like the Games--Molly had "dream" pokemon, LOL they were hacked

"Phanpy use rollout!" (Onix flies through air)

octoboy
8th August 2007, 10:06 PM
I actually don't want levels/movepools/stats/etc. pushed to the extreme. But for god's sake they have GOT TO MEAN SOMETHING. A Regice's 200 SP.Def has to MEAN SOMETHING. But it doesn't apparently, because a Pikachu can totally beat Regice given the off-chance. Yet it can't beat a humble Chimchar in a random situation.

Pikachu lost to chimchar because it inexplicably gets weaker when it goes to a new region. That's because if it didn't, Ash could just OHKO the weaker opponents. In my opinion, he should just catch a fairly weak pokemon very early in the season, then use him until he's at the level he can use pikachu without it being unfair/getting nonsensical losses.

Or maybe he should just dump the thing and get a new starter like we all had to do (grumble).

Soulworage717
9th August 2007, 3:43 AM
1) Fine then, most battles will now be over in five seconds. I'm sure that it'll be great to watch Ash never be challenged in a battle.

2) Ash's Pikachu has been established to be abnormally strong from the first episode. He didn't go in with the intention of throwing up against the strongest oppoent possible, but that's the way it went since Charizard was taken down too early.

Uuugh I hate it when people think we nay-sayers want it to be EXACTLY like the game. It's like they don't listen to me...bloody tarts.

Congratulations for proving my point which was JUST ABOVE what you quoted. That's failure to read right there!

You said most battles, I said some battles. SOME! How can you miss that?!

The anime isn't an instructional series for the games, it's meant to be entertaining and slightly more realistic than them. If Little Timmy expects a videogame-based series to teach him every single thing about the games, he really needs to be taught somewhere else.

We live in a world where noobs come in like clockwork. Stopping these lies would actually IMPROVE this community. Also considering the way the show treats legendaries I'm going as far to say that kids have uber teams because they see these pokemon on TV. Not proven, but it's bound to happen on a regular basis.

Which Manga do you want them to follow? Most of them completely throw game stuff out the window for comedy or melodrama worse than even Thunder Armor could.

Which manga do you think I'm talking about? PUT IT TOGETHER MAN!!!

...Pocket Monsters Special.

It never did. Pokemon have enough brains to use more than 4 moves. Do you really think that a pokemon who learned to master the elements forgets how to ram itself into something to do so?

Read up on your Kanto episodes. It existed at some point. And I know it sounds stupid but they do it.

Maybe he wanted an edge against one of his biggest weaknesses?

You sound like Roark. Even if you can super effective it you have THIRTY SP. ATK. There are far better moves to put in place of Flamethrower.

All the more reason I want metagame movesets in the anime. Perferrably in leagues to show that these trainers ARE good.

Also, I know evolved pokemon will get bland, but make an exception for when we're at the league. This is hundreds of the best trainers in the world and they can't fully evolve their pokemon. Makes you wonder how they got here.

It had both. Giga Impact was just shown more because Hyper Beam has gotten old now.

Now what's the point in having both types?! Riddle me this Batman. Why not Rock Slide?! It's a far better replacement!

-*Rage subsided*-

Pikachu lost to chimchar because it inexplicably gets weaker when it goes to a new region. That's because if it didn't, Ash could just OHKO the weaker opponents. In my opinion, he should just catch a fairly weak pokemon very early in the season, then use him until he's at the level he can use pikachu without it being unfair/getting nonsensical losses.

Oh yeah. I remember that. I should've went with Electivire because technically he was still in Battle Frontier and his stupid yellow mouse beat a Regice. I mean how could it lose to an Electivire if it can defeat a Regice.

The 3rd Movie was the most like the Games--Molly had "dream" pokemon, LOL they were hacked

"Phanpy use rollout!" (Onix flies through air)

Heheheheheheh. Nice one.

lol HAXachu.

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th August 2007, 4:26 PM
Which manga do you think I'm talking about? PUT IT TOGETHER MAN!!!

...Pocket Monsters Special.
Which isn't the official manga. The Scary Clefairy one actually just as or moreso official.

Soulworage717
9th August 2007, 6:27 PM
Or rather, there is no official manga?

Either way, I should've known better than to try to remember a field I have only got into once or twice. My apologies.

octoboy
9th August 2007, 10:00 PM
Oh yeah. I remember that. I should've went with Electivire because technically he was still in Battle Frontier and his stupid yellow mouse beat a Regice. I mean how could it lose to an Electivire if it can defeat a Regice.

Well, pikachu did have the disadvantage of electric attacks being ineffective to electivire, plus electivire has better movement than regice. Pikachu had the advantage of agility and speed over regice.

Plus, in the games, you can't use strategies such as attacking from different points and making evasive movements (well, pokemon can dodge sometimes, but they usually get hit unless evasiveness is boosted). In the game, you pretty much have to choose which attack to use (and choose which pokemon to use), so you can't make good strategies.

Soulworage717
10th August 2007, 4:19 AM
Still doesn't change my mind at saying the attacks needs to be a bit more accurate to its game counterparts. I'm not opting for game-like battles I'm asking for moves and strategies to make more sense if we use them in the game. Basically put, base stats needs to matter more.

....Iron Tail....HAXachu had it...

Dattebayo
10th August 2007, 4:46 AM
As much as I hate this, I agree. The anime never follows the game rules, and it's also making my brother, King Dialga, feel disappointed in the anime.

Cupil
10th August 2007, 8:30 AM
It wouldn't be too hard for the writers to get a poster listing all the types on a graph for strengths and weakness. Some consistency isn't too much to ask, considering how they reuse a lot of the same pokemon anyway. One thing I like about anime battles is the amount of movement. Everytime I see a PBR or any console based pokemon battle I get really bored.

I agree with Soulworage that a Pokemon's in game stats should have some basis in the anime. Hearing the characters praising and/or being awestruck by Roark's rock pokemon being OMG fast made me groan and roll my eyes. At the same time though, I appreciate the anime for taking away the magic numbers in the games that relegate some pokemon into permanent mediocrity.

Soulworage717
10th August 2007, 8:36 AM
To repeat it for n-tenth time, base stats need to at least AFFECT battle outcomes, not determine it.

Also, Ash's cheerleader squad seems to be awe-struck at everything. Even stuff we've seen before and stuff that's not even mildly shocking. Me personally if I was hearing them talk over and over again in the Registeel battle the first thing I'd say is "SHUT UP ALREADY I'M CONCENTRATING!!"

octoboy
10th August 2007, 8:38 AM

To be fair, infernape's pokedex entry says none can match its speed, which is not true. And that was the games pokedex.

Soulworage717
10th August 2007, 8:47 AM
Hmm, touche.

While we're on the subject, why do they confuse people with these lies again?

Gravy
10th August 2007, 10:40 AM
Basically put, base stats needs to matter more.
What gets me is the fact that you honestly believe the writing staff should read into the numbered statistics of every single pokémon to determine what they can and cannot do each and every week. No one is going to bother with crap like that, especially on a show that's essentially just used to market stuff.

I mean, if it were judging by appearence alone, I could understand. You look at a...I dunno... a Hitmonchan for example and think 'Hey, that thing looks kinda agile, although it's frame doesn't seem like the type that could take a hit well'. That's the sort of thing I'd expect at the most. You don't look at Cranidos and automatically thing 'that thing should have a weak flamethrower'. It's nowhere near as obvious.

Soulworage717
10th August 2007, 11:51 AM
So you're saying I believe that the writers should look at a PokeDex to get a general idea of pluses and minuses. It doesn't even have to be numerical. GRAPHS would do. And if what you said is true, this thread and all this arguing is useless since all this show is is a ploy to market stuff. Quality doesn't matter in a show like that. If we believed that, we wouldn't be arguing.

Also, everybody should know that judging a Pokemon just by what it looks like and not identifying it to know what it can do and can't do is an easy way to fail.

Korobooshi Kojiro
10th August 2007, 3:13 PM
It doesn't even have to be numerical. GRAPHS would do
LOL.

While we're on the subject, why do they confuse people with these lies again?
Because they don't have to abide by things in a video game? Especially as the video game itself even contradicts things in the Pokedex. Look at Regice's dex entry...can't be burnt by fire? Yet it is killed by a powerful Fire Attack easily.

Geez, I don't go into the Game Forums and demand that they abide by the Anime. 0.o

No it isn't, its a kids game. Who cares if one kid uses a Rapidash? Its not like it affects you or anything. Who cares what a little kid does? He paid money for the game, so he should have the right to do what he wants.

Being a "pro" of a Pokemon video game is like being a master of professional cup stacking. Even if you're a pro, you're still stacking cups.

Soulworage717
10th August 2007, 3:44 PM
Because they don't have to abide by things in a video game? Especially as the video game itself even contradicts things in the Pokedex. Look at Regice's dex entry...can't be burnt by fire? Yet it is killed by a powerful Fire Attack easily.

Geez, I don't go into the Game Forums and demand that they abide by the Anime. 0.o

I asked just out of curiosity. I was expecting to be given a simple answer. I'm pretty sure some people gripe about stuff in the game as well.

...crash course for noobs?

No it isn't, its a kids game. Who cares if one kid uses a Rapidash? Its not like it affects you or anything. Who cares what a little kid does? He paid money for the game, so he should have the right to do what he wants.

Being a "pro" of a Pokemon video game is like being a master of professional cup stacking. Even if you're a pro, you're still stacking cups.

Uses a Rapidash? That's not even what I'm complaining about...In fact you've answered my complaining with the answer to my question above.

Except stacking cups at masterful speed and wowing people with your incredible dexterity. Overall being a show-stopper. Also, you'd get bored and start stacking cups in crazy designs. Wowing people even further.

Again, shouldn't trainers in the league tournaments be a cut above the rest? Same goes for Gym leaders. ...Actually this is quite hard to ask since we don't get trainer battles in the first place.

Korobooshi Kojiro
10th August 2007, 3:54 PM
First of all you have to realize something...

Games, are usually competitive. You try to win, and thus abiding by stats is what you do.

Television, you watch. It's not a competition, so obviously they don't need to use stats and all that.

I think that's why the Anime don't worry about base stats and stuff.

Again, shouldn't trainers in the league tournaments be a cut above the rest? Same goes for Gym leaders. ...Actually this is quite hard to ask since we don't get trainer battles in the first place.
They are.

We recently had Cynthia on the show with her Garchomp, and guess what? It owned a guy's whole team (who was a trainer) just with Garchomp. I'm sure thats a nice representation of the games for you considering that's usually how Garchomp's go, right?

TeddiUrsa
10th August 2007, 4:15 PM
Whoops, we aren´t in the spoiler forums, I almost forgot ^^;

We recently had Cynthia on the show with her Garchomp, and guess what? It owned a guy's whole team (who was a trainer) just with Garchomp. I'm sure thats a nice representation of the games for you considering that's usually how Garchomp's go, right?

No wonder he lost. He used FRENZY PLANT after all. Only a noob would use an attack like that... *collapses*

Soulworage717
10th August 2007, 5:26 PM
Both of which should strive to not suck. The anime would, more than likely, BENEFIT if its battles were influenced a bit more by the games. There are several ways the anime can take fail points off its chart, most are a bit hard to ask and accomplish, but this should be simple enough compare to other methods.

You cannot deny the battles borderline on, "Just about worthy of the time wasted." at best. At worst it's "They did so bad they shouldn't have thought about it in the first place."

The demand for battles more influenced by game statistics would overall make the anime more interesting; increasing its appeal. (If there was any to begin with.) A tall order to ask, but it'd fix several things that drive people from the show.

Unfortunately we are not Japanese so we--theoretically, have no influence on the show.

They are.

Hmm, suppose so but in a world where you get the feeling Moves and the Pokemon being used doesn't matter, you can get mixed up very easily.

P.S. Tell me when it happens a second time. I don't take 1 shots as proof. I call them flukes.

TeddiUrsa
10th August 2007, 5:39 PM
Both of which should strive to not suck. The anime would, more than likely, BENEFIT if its battles were influenced a bit more by the games. There are several ways the anime can take fail points off its chart, most are a bit hard to ask and accomplish, but this should be simple enough compare to other methods.

What exactly would be different? Hyouta´s Rampardos wouldn´t have used flamethrower but..hm...maybe a headbutt like attack to go with its massive attack? It already used a lot of headbutting attacks in the battle. the flamethrower spiced the battle up. A flame-spitting dinosaur is kinda...cool, you know?

Describe a scenario you´d like. I really don´t know what you expect from the battles. They ARE intense.

Including game-stats wouldn´t make everything better. Slaking for example has a base speed of 100...do you really think THAT´s logical or..even possible? It s a fat, lazy guy for god´s sake.

Soulworage717
10th August 2007, 5:43 PM
Earthquake, Rock Tomb, SWORDS DANCE, PAYBACK!! ROCK SLIDE?!?

All better moves! All more logical moves!

Describe a scenario I like...? Well, none really. The main problem is I feel like it goes too slow. And just because the characters on the TV says it's intense, not everybody would think that. What would they know? They're mindless cheerleaders.

Of course, we don't have to give it TOO much influence. (Truant would fix that right away, wouldn't it?) But something like 200 Sp. Def/125 Attack/125 speed/etc. should mean something. Or there should be a visible difference between Pokemon X's Soma Beam and Pokemon Y's Soma Beam (Hyper Beam)

Speaking of Flamethrower, how do LEAVES stop Flamethrower?! FRACKIN' LEAVES!!!

TeddiUrsa
10th August 2007, 5:50 PM
Earthquake, Rock Tomb, SWORDS DANCE, PAYBACK!! ROCK SLIDE?!?

All better moves!

It´s the headbutt pokemon. Famouse for HEADBUTTS, why should it throw rocks? or even...how? how should payback look? and..what would be the point of sworddance? how would sworddance affect moves like earthquake or rock tomb anyway?

and...you didn´t describe a scenario, but simply told me some moves. But you can´t deny that shooting flames from the mouth IS cool and a good idea to counter its grass weakness.

Korobooshi Kojiro
10th August 2007, 6:01 PM
They should totally be like the battles in the games.

Four moves, take turns while standing still between them, usually rely on one hit KO's, it'd be awesome to watch.

Soulworage717
10th August 2007, 6:03 PM
Yeah it's famous for Headbutts so why is it FlamerThrowing?

Swords Dance would make more sense than Flamethrower but not by much. Payback however, is a better move. A move that COULD make sense. And they can do Double-Edge/Swords Dance/Growl/Counter/Destiny Bond/Perish Song what's stopping them for doing Payback?

Also, there's no point in having it shoot flames just because it's cool. Chimchar already does that.

I can't really describe a scenario I'd like to see. Rather, I don't do that type of stuff. I've given up on Pokemon fanfiction and story pondering a long time ago.

-----

And how many bloody times do I have to say that I said nothing/demanded nothing/and wanted NOTHING LIKE THAT?!?!

Korobooshi Kojiro
10th August 2007, 6:04 PM
So only Chimchar can shoot flames?

As you say, it's famous for its headbutting...so, a sudden burst of flames from its mouth would be a logical way to surprise opponents.

TeddiUrsa
10th August 2007, 6:10 PM
So only Chimchar can shoot flames?

As you say, it's famous for its headbutting...so, a sudden burst of flames from its mouth would be a logical way to surprise opponents.

No, it should jump around, causing earthquakes or should sharpen its head with sworddance to jump even more to cause much stronger earthquakes or rock slides. Now, THAT would rock!
Or it should do some...mh...payback?

Some moves just don´t make sense on a certain pokemon. The games invented certain moves to make the battle more ballanced, but that doesn´t mean that those move make sense.

mh,...maybe Hyouta did EV train his Rampardos for a good Sp.Att. stat to use the flamethrower? :p

Soulworage717
10th August 2007, 6:11 PM
You looked at what I said too deep.

Would you see anybody have a Cranidos with Flamethrower?

Also, I am not happy you thought I didn't know that battles that completely ran on the game is boring.

mh,...maybe Hyouta did EV train his Rampardos for a good Sp.Att. stat to use the flamethrower?

Maybe he did EV train... if EV training existed in the Anime I'd hate him a BIT less.

Okay so Earthquake COULD be the best out of the moves I listed. (Honestly a Swords Danced Earthquake looks awesome in my mind.) I just named what was off the top of my head.

Yep, traps. Gotta love trapped moves. Not saying that they should get rid of them, because well they're traps. It's impossible to get rid of traps.

Korobooshi Kojiro
10th August 2007, 6:14 PM
Er...does it REALLY matter if it has Flamethrower? I mean, its not like thats all it used.

I really am starting to see how that ruins the Anime, as the battles are meant to look good, and that battle did look good.

Soulworage717
10th August 2007, 6:18 PM
But I don't give too much a care about cool looking battles as I do logically correct battles. As long as it doesn't make my eyes bleed it's fine. I'm don't watch this show just to get orgasms from eyecandy.

Korobooshi Kojiro
10th August 2007, 6:20 PM
Logically correct battles? This is Pokemon, we don't have those.

Besides, its a show. People watch the show to be entertained. If the battles are entertaining, then I see no problem.

Honestly, you're like the Metagame Maestro now.

TeddiUrsa
10th August 2007, 6:24 PM
But I don't give too much a care about cool looking battles as I do logically correct battles. As long as it doesn't make my eyes bleed it's fine. I'm don't watch this show just to get orgasms from eyecandy.

That´s like watching Die Hard and complaining that he can drive a car into a helicopter because it isn´t logical or even possible.

what do you think? How MANY people watch the anime for logically correct battles? Why should the writers bother about a minority? The anime wouldn´t even benefit from your changes.

Soulworage717
10th August 2007, 6:27 PM
Guess so. Must be my personal tastes that'll never find this show to be appealing to me in the battles departmant. Showing off and being dramatic in a battle gets you nowhere it's how you play and how you beatdown your oppoent, I say. ...you win this round...but not the war.

Because there is a LOOONG list of other things I find disappointing. I won't go into detail, it's somewhere in this thread.

Korobooshi Kojiro
10th August 2007, 6:31 PM
Maybe it's because you're concerned about logic in a series where its mascot is an electric mouse?

Soulworage717
10th August 2007, 6:42 PM
In other words I really am wasting my time. I have got to choose my words better. A little bit more of everything it lacks would f-oh #$%* it.

Anyway, battles isn't it's only problem. There's Team Rocket in general, crushing amounts of filler, and a critically low ratio of main to secondary characters. Maybe this isn't a long list after all.

PaulFan1517
10th August 2007, 7:19 PM
I think the main problem in the pokemon anime is the lack of plot. I am sick and tired of these daily filler episodes. Why can't they be more creative with episodes and do those occasional episodes where ash actually meets a trainer and battles them like he did alot in kanto and johto.

I think these writers are just plain lazy and uncreative. I don't know how can they help make a pokemon movie once a year but after gym battles they have a filler episode every single day.

Is it too much to ask for there to be an episode where ash enters a mini pokemon competion. Even johto the longest and most boring pokemon season had lots of competitions stacked into it. Also I know that since hoenn is going to start fresh each new region, but is it too much to ask to have tiny amounts of occasionaly pokemon switching for his old ones.

What is so hard about that? All they need to do is show ash use his noctowl for example for just like 3 episodes and send it back. Also while we are talking about the writers and what they could do better. WHere the hell is satoshi tajiri? Have you noticed we have never heard anything about this pokemon creater.

What the hell does he do for the anime. All I can say is he most likely comes up with the new pokemon and other stuff but why won't he suggest to the writers to give pokemon more plot. Then again he could be the one who is encouraging this crap.

TeddiUrsa
10th August 2007, 7:31 PM
Why can't they be more creative with episodes and do those occasional episodes where ash actually meets a trainer and battles them like he did alot in kanto and johto.

WHAT!? He battled random trainers in Kanto and...JOTHO? when? He still battles other people then gym leaders in Shinou as regular as back in Jotho , hoenn or kanto. Don´t let the nostalgia blind your.

WHere the hell is satoshi tajiri? Have you noticed we have never heard anything about this pokemon creater.

What the hell does he do for the anime. All I can say is he most likely comes up with the new pokemon and other stuff but why won't he suggest to the writers to give pokemon more plot. Then again he could be the one who is encouraging this crap.

Uhm,....he isn´t involved in the anime AT ALL.
Shigeru Miyamoto didn´t work on the super mario cartoons, why would tajiri work on the anime?
What gave you the idea? o.O

Soulworage717
10th August 2007, 7:35 PM
Didn't I mention the fact that there's no trainer battles period? (If not, MICROSCOPIC.) I didn't? How could I forget? It'd make the ludicrous amount of throwaway characters serve a better purpose than advance the plot of the filler episode...it won't be a big advancement but we need more battles anyway.

R3b3lSarge
10th August 2007, 8:00 PM
i really wouldnt want to watch pokemon taking turns hitting each other in the anime. i think the games should be a pinch closer to the anime. it would be nice to see the Al trainers have more character

CyberCubed
10th August 2007, 8:09 PM
Didn't I mention the fact that there's no trainer battles period? (If not, MICROSCOPIC.) I didn't? How could I forget? It'd make the ludicrous amount of throwaway characters serve a better purpose than advance the plot of the filler episode...it won't be a big advancement but we need more battles anyway.

What show are you watching? We have Ash or Dawn battling trainers in quite a number of episodes.

TeddiUrsa
10th August 2007, 8:25 PM
What show are you watching? We have Ash or Dawn battling trainers in quite a number of episodes.

Jupp, I can´t understand it either.

Let´s see:

When Pokémon Worlds Collide! -> Satoshi VS Shinji

Dawn of a New Era -> Hikari VS Nando

Different Strokes for Different Blokes -> Satoshi VS Shinji

Gymbaliar -> Satoshi VS Musashi

Mounting a Coordinator Assault -> Satoshi VS Hikari

Arrival of a Rival Satoshi VS Nozomi, Hikari VS Nozomi ,various other

Leave it to Brocko! Takeshi VS TR ( it was a cool battle ^^;)

A Shape of Things To Come Shinji VS Hyouta

A Gruff Act To Follow Satoshi VS Hyouta

O'er the Rampardos We Watched! Satoshi VS hyouta

Mutiny in the Bounty! Satoshi VS J ( short)

Ya See We Want an Evolution! Satoshi/Hikari VS the club

Borrowing on Bad Faith! Hikari VS Musashi

and in the upcoming episodes up to the recent japanese ones are at least 11 trainer battles within...so..why complaining?

Korobooshi Kojiro
10th August 2007, 10:48 PM
I don't see how an episode being "Ash meets a trainer a battle them" would be leagues better then "Ash meets a trainer and helps them".

thunderblade12
11th August 2007, 7:03 AM
if it was like the games it wouldnt make any sence.

jessie: seviper poison tail attack!!!!

ash: pikachu....ehh nevermind. dont dodge that would be against the rules of the game.....just stand there and potentially be impaled by a giant and poisonous axe-like tail

octoboy
11th August 2007, 7:39 AM
I don't see how an episode being "Ash meets a trainer a battle them" would be leagues better then "Ash meets a trainer and helps them".

Because having an organized battle with a new pokemon is better than team rocket trying to steal a pokemon, having a face off with their pokemon, then getting blasted over the horizon again and again.

Ralts Master
11th August 2007, 8:15 AM
I never could understand why the anime bypasses events and locations from the games. The plot is thin enough as it is, removing stuff like that just makes it worse. This especially applies to the villain teams, who usually seem to get half their game appearances cut in the anime (I think Team Rocket lost almost all of theirs!)...

Charlord
11th August 2007, 4:11 PM
i will never get why people get on this why people get on this website if they hate pokemon so much like that soulworage guy i really love the pokemon anime

PaulFan1517
11th August 2007, 8:53 PM
i will never get why people get on this why people get on this website if they hate pokemon so much like that soulworage guy i really love the pokemon anime

Who is saying that they hate pokemon? All we are saying is what can be done to make the show better and crap they need to improve. Just because someone has criticisms of a show doesn't mean they hate it. It just means thier ideas on how to improve it.

Charlord
11th August 2007, 9:27 PM
and u know what people think because ur a psychic

morefirepokemon
11th August 2007, 9:33 PM
dont we all thats just to hard though, but the writers could stick to the fact ground is immune to electric attacks and stuff like that

Charlord
11th August 2007, 9:35 PM
dont we all thats just to hard though, but the writers could stick to the fact ground is immune to electric attacks and stuff like that

i don't wish the anime was like the games, also, i'm the fire master

Satoshi
12th August 2007, 1:11 AM
and u know what people think because ur a psychic And YOU know what people think because YOU'RE psychic. :rolleyes:

Riiiiiiight.

I've criticized the Pokemon anime a lot, yet I admit to watching it - and heck, even ENJOYING it. Just because people point out things they don't like and obvious flaws about something, doesn't mean they don't like it. ~~;;

On the comment of wanting the battle systems of the games being more like the anime: No, we don't need another hack-and-slash game. What we need is more of a tactical RPG (And I don't mean an RPG like MD - we don't need another dungeon crawler either. Something along the lines of Disgaea or Fire Emblem).

Charlord
12th August 2007, 2:33 AM
And YOU know what people think because YOU'RE psychic. :rolleyes:

Riiiiiiight.

I've criticized the Pokemon anime a lot, yet I admit to watching it - and heck, even ENJOYING it. Just because people point out things they don't like and obvious flaws about something, doesn't mean they don't like it. ~~;;

On the comment of wanting the battle systems of the games being more like the anime: No, we don't need another hack-and-slash game. What we need is more of a tactical RPG (And I don't mean an RPG like MD - we don't need another dungeon crawler either. Something along the lines of Disgaea or Fire Emblem).

i may have chosen the wrong words, all i'm saying is that is the same crap i here people saying on the d.c comics message boards and the people who put it sure as heck hate d.c. comics, the people who say this kind of stuff on here seem to ( i'm not saying they are, don't think that ) be on here just to trash pokemon, oh and p.s eat ur heart out

octoboy
12th August 2007, 3:50 AM
Yeah it's famous for Headbutts so why is it FlamerThrowing?

The problem is you don't seem to see that anime battles have more factors than in the game. In the game pretty much all strategies rely on stats and status effects. In the anime, there are the factors of position, and where you're attacking from.

So maybe Roark taught cranidos flamethrower because he needed a projectile attack, in case he was up against an opponent who was dangerous to try to get close to.

And the reason the others seem to be "amazed by everything" is because they're commenting on the battles, acting like the captions of the game, so that makes it more like the game instead of less.

Now you can't tell me they should make an actual text block appear inexplicably.

Charlord
12th August 2007, 12:26 PM
also flamethrower takes care of the weakness of grass types