PDA

View Full Version : How far do you go when training a team (IVs EVs Natures)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Animus
18th August 2007, 11:55 AM
Im training my first competitive team up but i dont really have time to breed loads and loads of each of my team members to get good IVs.

However I have got the right natures/abilities and im quickly EV training each member. I was just curious as to how far other people go?

Do you go the full hog right down to the IVs or just pick up any old pokemon you like? Im curious to see what the playingfield is like at there in competitive battling

-Animus ;350;

Dutchinator
18th August 2007, 12:57 PM
Here's what i do:

Let's say i want a gengar. So im going to catch around 20 Ghastly's. I want a Timid or Modest and hey, i have both. I compare the IV's: both are ***. So i look for other natures that raise Satk or speed. Hey look, i got a Rash. The IV's are realy good in the stats that matter (Satk and speed) it's def is *** but i don't need that.

So im going to EV train the rash gastly and getting a rash gengar.

repeat for all other poke's on my team.

Rule o' Thumb: if the Iv's suck, search for another, accceptable nature. if that's sucks too, your just unlucky. try again :P

Pyro Yoshi
18th August 2007, 1:11 PM
I breed for the nature, then until the IVs don't totally suck (maybe get the one or two most important IVs to 28-31), then full EV train. For ubers and one-timers, I just reset after capturing it for Nature only. Good IVs with the right nature is a bonus.

Unless it's Shiny or an event (*coughdarkraicough*) I just EV train.

Basically, I'm almost but not as crazy as those Smogon breeders who aim for as close as possible to prefect 31 IVs.

Unknown Egg
18th August 2007, 1:14 PM
This is what I did for my Ralts:

As we know, Ralts isn't a Pokémon you can just go catch 20 or 30 of. So I breed. I get a Ditto (preferrably Adamant for Gallade) and start breeding. Once I get a female Adamant Ralts (holding an Everstone), I stick it in the Daycare center with another Ralts (or anything else that Ralts can breed with. I used a Koffing) that has the characteristic I want (Likes to thrash about, Mischievous, etc.). And before long I should have an Adamant male Ralts that "likes to thrash about". I don't normally bother checking for exact IVs, though, until it's a decently high level, so I get a more accurate reading.

sceptilianmaster
18th August 2007, 1:24 PM
I suppose I go all the way.

1st: Breed for correct nature with Dittos. I don't really care much about passing on IVs.

2nd: Hatch about 5 eggs, level them up to level 10 with Daycare, pick the one with the best IVs.

3rd: EV train.

Those are my steps when training a team.

El D
18th August 2007, 1:35 PM
I have a team. But now that I've strted EV training etc I've been looking for the right nature and egg moves. I now have a Hasty Elekidw/egg moves (+Spd -Def) a Jolly Feraligtr w/egg moves EV trained a Modest Feebas w/ Egg moves and a Jolly Sneaselw/ Ice Punch. getting an Ev trained Jolly Infernape today hopefully and may look for the right Treeko. Then I'm finally done after I evolve/Ev train them.

DarkFurret
18th August 2007, 1:51 PM
I breed until I get about 5 Pokémon with the correct nature. Then I choose the one with best IVs. If they all suck, whatever, I can't be bothered to breed all over again. I have a good ammount of everstones and natures so I usually don't have a problem with that. I usually need to do a lot of chains to get the moves I want too.

I seem to always choose the "252,252,6" Evs. But as time goes by I'll get used to other EV spreads.

And if you really want to go Wi-Fi, I recommend you start breeding for IVs, because otherwise you'll have a though time with people that do. I personally don't care that much about IVs, so I just keep my team for in-game.

Skull-Kid
18th August 2007, 1:53 PM
theres no way round it. if u want a good competetive team then ur going to have to breed a lot

El D
18th August 2007, 2:03 PM
Unless your streter Pokemon is Female with an Adamant/Modest etc nature. Then your just extremly lucky...

creepcakes
18th August 2007, 2:23 PM
I usually just breed until I get the correct nature and then EV train if the IV's aren't completely awful.

G_S2k
18th August 2007, 2:56 PM
I breed for the right natured female. Give it an everstone. Then is breed my egg moves in going for 10-20 eggs and comparing the IVs/natures. Then i will EV train

Alzi
18th August 2007, 3:07 PM
I breed for good Iv's say if i wanted a breloom then it only needs hp, atk and spd so i get all of them flawless another example of this would be a blissey it needs hp, def and sp.def so i get all of them flawless then EV train them. It will take some time but it's fun when you have nothing else to do.

Euphoria
18th August 2007, 3:17 PM
I don't participate in competitive play. For Pokemon I wish to use in-game I aim for a nature I'm satisfied with and EV train as I go along.

Darkside
18th August 2007, 4:02 PM
for me the pokemon i want to train must be at least
correct nature
correct ability
most of the time at LEAST two 31 iv's in the proper stat and the rest a good 20+
perfectly ev trained

unless its a shiny in which case nature and ability and ev trained (aka modest togekiss)

femo_1170
18th August 2007, 6:38 PM
I breed until 3 or more IV's are perfect and I have the right nature and the other IV's are 20+. I figure I will be using this team for a while, so I might as well get it right.

Lugia Tamer
18th August 2007, 8:05 PM
I don't bother with IV's. Its not that I don't know how to do it (I've bread a wicked Beldum with 31 speed) it just isn't fun. I do breed for natures and I EV train.

Tyranny of Tyranitar
18th August 2007, 8:54 PM
I go find the thing I'm looking for, breed it with ditto everstone after it has any egg moves I want on it, get the the nature I'm looking for, soft reset until I get near ideal (I accept 26 or better for IV's on the things I want those IV's on, but aim for higher if they come quickly) stats, then I EV train it to whatever I need maximized. There isn't one sure good method to how I breed, but this just generalizes it.

Tommy West
18th August 2007, 8:57 PM
I always aim for 28 or better IV's on my team the only expection is my Alakazam, who 30 in Defense.

TrainerIruka
18th August 2007, 9:04 PM
I do this:

1. Find two pokemon, one with the nature I want
2. Keep breeding, take out the ones with good IVs
3. Rebreed the ones with better IVs, maybe
4. Compare all of the babies
5. Choose one
6. EV train

I always try to get a 31 in the pokemons best stat, and often ignore **** IVs on defenses if it is on a sweeper. Offense and speed is what is most important for them, and vice versa for defensive pokemon like umbreon.

DragonRanger
18th August 2007, 9:09 PM
I don't really care about IVs... but I go as far as possible when EV Training.

marktheshark
18th August 2007, 9:15 PM
i don't go very far when training my team. in fact i don't even try to get good natures.

Pokeman2345
19th August 2007, 3:22 AM
Ivs i dont care much but i wont go 31 atk and 2 sp atk on a special sweeper. for nature and abilities i will keep going no matter how long it takes [doesnt take long i got all nature ditto]. Then i try to get a male one so when i teach TMs they're not wasted. the i EV train takes less than an hour i got pokerus and power items

ShinyManafi
19th August 2007, 5:33 AM
Natures, IVs, EVs everything. Sometimes it takes so much out of me..>_>

Carlisle
19th August 2007, 5:38 AM
I breed for the right natures and a female gender. I EV train. IVs are just too much work.

pokekid1
19th August 2007, 10:13 AM
For me I get aim for the right Nature, Ability, Moves, & EVs. IVs are too much to deal with so breeding is the closest thing for me on how to get good IVs for the pokemon. One example for me on how to get a Sp. Sweeper Kingdra is to get a Female Modest Seadra with Brine breed with Male Dewgong with moves Signal Beam, Brine, & Ice Beam. Once I get a Modest Horsea with swift swim with the correct moves I got my pokemon. The nature, moves, & IVs are easy as long as I follow the procedure correctly to get them on Horsea, but the ability is the hardest thing to get right.

Animus
19th August 2007, 10:41 AM
Hmm I cann see there really is a range here. Well Ive EV trained two of my team now and thats taking time. I just want to get a competitive team going before im off to uni and may never play pokemon again.

Anyway those power items do they add + 4 evs when you gets evs in the corresponding stat?

Ophie
19th August 2007, 12:34 PM
I breed for Natures and Abilities, and I EV train. When it comes to IVs though, looking each of them up individually for the IV calculator takes too long. Instead, I save 12 offspring with the correct Nature and Ability, then I Rare Candy them (I currently have 13, so I can see stats at Level 14). Whichever has the best stats, I train.

Seviper
19th August 2007, 2:40 PM
I EV train and try to get the best Nature possible, I only care about IV's when I need to breed a certain Pokémon to get a certain move (for example Sneasel to get Ice Punch).

Artorias
19th August 2007, 2:42 PM
Natures and EVs, I care. A lot. IVs, I don't really care that much unless I'm trying to make a Pokémon with a (near) perfect IV in a certain stat.

spareux
19th August 2007, 2:59 PM
All of the above.

Ze Skarmory
19th August 2007, 3:03 PM
Depends, if I want a certain pokemon with a certain nature, say Bagon, and I want either jolly or adamant. Say it takes a long time, and when I get one of those, depending if it's male or female, I'll either rebreed, or just use the original one.

*~Water Lover~*
19th August 2007, 3:04 PM
Just Natures and Moves. I EV Train whenever I get the chance (except for my In-game Pokemon. If it weren't for all the EVs you have erase...). IVs can go suck my thumb. :P

Leona
19th August 2007, 3:07 PM
I don't really care about IVs... but I go as far as possible when EV Training.

well dude, If a pokemon wants a stat maxed out, then it needs to have it's IV maxed in that specific stat >_>

Mitja
19th August 2007, 3:19 PM
nature has to be exactly the one i want
evs have to be exactly trained
ivs...the important ones atlast 15

thats how far i go =o

Arbok
19th August 2007, 3:20 PM
Breeding till I have the good nature, checking their IV's, then EV training.

Zombieforce
19th August 2007, 3:22 PM
I usually just go as far as getting the right nature and EV's. IV's are kind of a pain, and usually I just shrug them off.

#Gecko#
19th August 2007, 4:02 PM
I try to get a good Nature, EV trained of course and look for the average and above IV. Sometimes I get desperate and use like Lonely instead of Admant.

Commander Blitzkrieg
19th August 2007, 4:06 PM
I really don't care. If I get a nature that is absolute crap (Adamant Roselia, for example), I'll get a new one. But It normally doesn't really matter to me. I don't do EVs or IVs.

Leona
19th August 2007, 4:20 PM
why the hell would you want an Adamant Roselia? lmao

Dude18210
19th August 2007, 4:31 PM
I go for the whole deal when it comes to breeding and competitive battling over Wi-Fi. I don't go for perfect IVs, but really good ones at the least. I'll EV train and find the correct natures as well. It's really worth it to concentrate on all these things in the long run when it comes to perfecting your team.

shinydarkrai
19th August 2007, 4:33 PM
31 ivs in at least two stats and the perfect nature

PsychedelicJellyfish
19th August 2007, 4:47 PM
I do a mixture of EV training with natures and just letting their stats develop without interference, though I now developed a fondness for EV training after seeing the results it produces.

OJG
19th August 2007, 11:23 PM
Ev's. Sometimes. I usually just get a decent nature, sometimes push for the best nature. I only EV legendaries though, 'cause they start at a high level ;]

Waters spirit
19th August 2007, 11:27 PM
I just level em up...

dukama
20th August 2007, 8:44 AM
i have a question.. no n00b to pokemans... but r n00b to EV/IV training and such... out of curiosity... lets say ive been EV training my houndoom on my diamond game and decided to trade him over to my pearl game... would the effort points gained from my D game be lost once he is transferred to my P game?

may be a retarded question.. but for as long as ive been lurking the forums.. ive yet to see this question being asked..

i may not be on the forums for too long.. but if anyone has the answer im looking for.. please send me a pm? id be forever grateful :)

pipersgirl™
20th August 2007, 8:45 AM
I keep breeding for a good nature, which takes time.

Eszett
20th August 2007, 9:00 AM
31 IVs in Speed for those cases where it matters, at least 25 in the other most critical stats, and the right nature for the job.

Also, 31 Special Attack IV for all physical attackers. Take a look at my 10/31/25/31/31/31 Jolly Weavile.

BodomPlah!
20th August 2007, 5:33 PM
I'm training a lot of lucario's and i want to know if the characteristics affect their IV's.

Carlisle
20th August 2007, 11:18 PM
Yes, they do. There's a guide about it in the Game Mechanics section of the mainsite.

Dragetre
20th August 2007, 11:20 PM
I look for good IV's after breeding the pokemon, then I level them up only on pokemon that give the EV's I want. Simple. =P

Akayfortyseven
20th August 2007, 11:32 PM
The. Whole. Hog.

Ivs, evs, painstakingly breeding for perfection, hidden power if necessary, cloning egg moves etc.

You name it I do it besides hacking.

Ellie
20th August 2007, 11:51 PM
Get 31 IV's for very important stats (HP on Subbers, Spd on sweepers), and like 25+ in other important stats, and if I'm lucky 20+ in all others that matter. The only time I don't try to get ones like this is for Hidden Power, when if you want a good HP type, you can't always be as selective on the IV's. I also make sure that they have the right nature, and egg moves if needed.

Then I EV train them all the way, and make sure that they keep the most important moves that they need for the set. If you're going to raise a team to be competitive, you need to do the work :S

Goodbreath
20th August 2007, 11:55 PM
I dont care about IVs I just breed for natures/eggmoves and EV train em.... IVs are little extras annyway and you should be able to win even without them ;)

Waters spirit
21st August 2007, 12:06 AM
All rigt all you hardcore nutters, how long does it take you to do all this?!

Waters spirit
21st August 2007, 12:07 AM
All right yoy hardcore nutters, how long does it take you to do all this?!

Bogmire
29th August 2007, 3:46 AM
I go full hog when IV breeding and EV training. I'm from Smogon (I know you guys hate me lol) so I take these things really seriously, but came here just to see what was up. (havn't been here in months)

Aziel
29th August 2007, 4:43 AM
I do everything when it comes to making a pokemon I am actually going to use. The only times when I don't go for 3 flawless ivs are when I am breeding for a good Hidden Power.

BIGnSCARY
29th August 2007, 9:38 AM
Breeding wastes a aweful lot of time. I dont care about IVs in-game and battle tower teams. I only care during wifi battle, but im too lazy to create my team now.

otherside
29th August 2007, 9:44 AM
I will breed for flawless IVs in the poke's relevant stats, and sometimes decent (20+) in the other stats that matter (defences, HP if a sweeper).

Then I EV train it. Doesn't really take too long. On average maybe 1.5 hours per pokemon depending on what it needs EVing in (things that require speed are often the easiest because of Magikarp man).

Then I level it up until it's final evo, teach it all it's necessary moves and it's done.

When designing the poke, I'll normally look at what it's supposed to counter/kill and run damage calculations to find out how much it needs to KO what with what move. Takes a while but it's alright since all I'm doing with my other hand is pressing up and down :]

the_showstopper
29th August 2007, 1:13 PM
I look for the right nature and ev train them... i don't really care about abilities and IVs. I have a starmie with illuminate and absolutely zlitch IVs in Sp.Atk...

turtlover
29th August 2007, 1:25 PM
im not to worried about IV's but i will keep breeding(or catching) till i get a good natured one then ill EV train it

iluvwobbuffet
29th August 2007, 4:45 PM
Only recently have I gotten into IVs, EVs, and Natures. =^_^=

I breed for the right Nature and Ability. After I hatch five or six with the right Nature and Ability, I level them up a bit with the Day Care, and check the IVs. I don't want to spend a whole lot of time breeding, so I'll go with whichever one has the best IVs(in the stats I need them in).
Only if the IVs are absolutly terrible in what I need will I continue to breed though. I don't want to spend most of my time hatching egg after freaking egg, etc.

MidnightStorm
29th August 2007, 10:28 PM
I go as far as going for right nature, decent IVs and then I EV train them. I don't want to spend too much time on IVs, just not something horrible.

RYKUU
29th August 2007, 10:30 PM
i just train them the best i can thats all.

ESP
29th August 2007, 10:38 PM
I breed for Natures, Ability, and IV's, as in 25+ in the ones that actually matter. I recently bred a Modest Adaptability Porygon-Z with 30 IVs in Speed and Special Attack, and 25+ IVs in HP. (I didn't bother to check the rest)

DSDark
30th August 2007, 5:18 AM
i don't care about the Iv's but i do care the nature and the ev's

martianman40
30th August 2007, 6:16 AM
EV's - yes, Just started recently.
IV's - I'm thinking of starting
Nature - usually, although I may not, and will live to regret it later.

sangeli
30th August 2007, 6:57 AM
After much experience i learned that Iv's are actually hereditary. That being said, say you have the right natured Alakazam with a 31 Iv for special attack but a 2 for speed. What most people would do is just take that one. Wrong. The right thing to do would be to find a female abra with a modest/timid nature (whichever you want) attach an everstone to it and breed it with the other alakazam/whatever form it is (unless the good alakazam is a female then all you need to do is find any decent male abra). The egg will have the right nature 50% of the time and the ivs will be better.

Mello
30th August 2007, 9:18 AM
For starters, I don't breed, unless I want a baby pokemon. I make do with what IVs/Natures I get, and then I EV a little bit, but I don't go for Standard things. My Max Speed Snorlax is <3. ;). I just love Pokemon for who they are, and don't give a crap about Natures and IVs.

azuvipsel
30th August 2007, 6:37 PM
Everstone breed for natures and good IVs-generally 30-31 for the important ones (like attack and speed in Physical sweeper) and 25 or more in the rest. Then I EV train.

Thinking about being more relaxed about IVs, because doing that for 6 Pokémon will be boring, especially on my first team because I know I'll change it.

Alkaide
30th August 2007, 7:38 PM
I don't go far at all XD. I don't IV train, I don't breed, I don't look for certain natures, I don't care about stats, ect. But I make sure that I train against all the trainers and wild Pokémon to raise their levels.

Winter02
30th August 2007, 8:00 PM
I always try to get the nature, ability and EVs that i want.
but i'm too impatient to breed for good IVs, so it usually ends up with something thats ok, but not very good.

feral
31st August 2007, 10:37 AM
I don't EV train as I just can't be bothered... anyone want to do it for me? :P

Ch0c0late Av3ng3r
31st August 2007, 11:34 AM
I find good natures, I EV train, but I never breed for IVs.

crimson vengance
31st August 2007, 4:40 PM
This is really confusing! :S

marthick
31st August 2007, 11:47 PM
I'd breed until I get a good nature and EV train, but I don't care about IVs at all.

DoubleJG3288
1st September 2007, 3:00 AM
I always breed for the right nature, or atleast close to it (if it's a focus sasher, I don't worry about a -defense nature). I always EV train (usually max out two stats), and if I get a female with the right nature, I continue breeding until I get decent IVs (for me it's atleast 21 in the two main stats that matter).

Mario with Lasers
1st September 2007, 3:04 AM
I breed using Dittos and good males at the same egg group. When I don't have the needed male, I hunt for it (around 20, trying to get decent IVs). If I don't have the female with the right nature, I put the current female wth some random male with good IVs and soft-reset in front of the old man, or just use a Ditto.

When the actual breeding starts, I do mass-hatching when the gender and/or trait doesn't matter (i.e. breeding for Electivires). If either of them matter, I start mass-hatching and change to soft-resetting when I feel unlucky (like, 22 Eggs and only two with the right nature). When both matter, I soft-reset.

About the IVs, I aim for 31 at Speed/HP when needed (20+ otherwise), 25+ in the highest base defense (Gligar's Defense, for instance), 20+ in the other defense (Gligar's SDef), and 25+ in the usable attack stat (or both, like MixApe).

About EVs... Heh, I don't have so much time anymore (I spent the major part of my poké-time breeding and cloning and trading and checking IVs), I'm always unsure about how should I Effort them, I don't have any of the Power Items and the sheer amount of non-Efforted pokés I have simply scares me off -_- I need help with them urgently, hahaha ._.

Cipher
1st September 2007, 7:16 AM
I make sure the Pokemon I use have Natures that don't hinder a used Stat. That's as far as I go.

Conquistador
1st September 2007, 8:47 AM
I always EV train, always go for the best nature, and get 25-31 in the 1 or 2 most important stats.

^^torpedo^^
1st September 2007, 11:27 AM
I pretty much dont care about IVs but I always EV train but its boring..

My shiny tentacruel has 31 in atk but its ok because it has impish nature and I am going to make it special wall who just attacks with physical..

WhyteMage
1st September 2007, 11:41 AM
I used to go for movesets only. Then I moved onto Ev's and natures. Now though, that breeding and EV training have become explicitly easy, I'm moving to the final step of IV, nature, moveset, trait AND gender breeding.

O.o it sounds like a lot now...

Godlikeone
3rd September 2007, 11:11 AM
I will either Breed until I get the right nature, then EVtrain.

Or I will get a box of eggs.
Then hatch those.

I'll only bother with IV''s if I have more than 1 of the same nature.

10% of 550 defence on a shuckle is more than the 31 potential boost from IV's.
Think about it.

Natures>IV's

Asche
5th September 2007, 2:01 AM
well, I did't care much about IV, just pcicking the nature and Ability i need, i don't care the gender too

but yesterday i tried something a bit diferrent, i breed 12 Modeest Eevees, i batle with myself on my other ds, a lv100 batle, then i can see they exact stats, compare iv, and then i pick the strongest Eevee i got :D it has a 30 Special attack, wich was the one i was looking for :)
noe he is a lv 40 fully trained Espeon!! yay!

Anaya
5th September 2007, 2:33 AM
I don't EV train and I don't care about natures. It's a waste of my time.

Lord_Sunday
5th September 2007, 10:12 AM
IMO EVs are more important then IV's. A 31 iv stat adds 31 to the stat compared to one with an IV of 0, but the potentiol gain from EVing a pokemon is 63 or something, so its a lot more important on influencing the stats of a pokemon.

Ranger Dude
5th September 2007, 1:10 PM
I don't reli care about ivs but as long as i have at least a 28 plus on a good stat its fine.
then i fully ev train, EDIT: and of course a good nature

Cool Rafe
6th September 2007, 4:58 AM
I just breed the Pokemon I want with a Ditto of the right nature (I got Dittos of all natures).
Don't really care about IVs. I try to get a good characteristic for instance I got a Dratini with "Proud of its Power" and Adamant nature.
Then I start to EV train it immediately.

NathanS
7th September 2007, 5:06 PM
For the more perfectionist among you, (just out of curiosity) what do you do on the first run through? By That I mean when you have to face the gym leaders and dont have access to as much money to by pokeballs and can't bred right away. Do you still bother with EV's IV's and so on?

-Art
7th September 2007, 5:54 PM
For the more perfectionist among you, (just out of curiosity) what do you do on the first run through? By That I mean when you have to face the gym leaders and dont have access to as much money to by pokeballs and can't bred right away. Do you still bother with EV's IV's and so on?

I just use a team that I don't intend to use for competitive battling. Then once I've completed the main game, the real training can begin.

LonesomeDiamond
7th September 2007, 10:58 PM
I dont battle competitively, but i really like nature training. I have a ditto for every nature, and breed like crazy to get what i want. if i need to pass a move i breed a female w/ the desired nature 1st. I never have to wait too much for the natures i want.

I dont EV or IV train, but whenever i hatch eggs, if i have alot w/ the same characteristics that i want, i pick the one w/ the highest stats. Also, even if i dont EV train, I do watch who i battle w/ specific pkmn. I dont waste time raising my Gengar by fighting things like Ursaring, for example.

I havent even built most of my teams up but i already Bred all of the members...its more fun than training sometimes...:P

RYKUU
7th September 2007, 11:04 PM
I pretty much dont care about IVs but I always EV train but its boring..

My shiny tentacruel has 31 in atk but its ok because it has impish nature and I am going to make it special wall who just attacks with physical..

yes you are my new best friend i dont care about EV that much i know my team could be stronger but meh.

stefywefy215
8th September 2007, 5:10 AM
IVs are more important than you think in battling, i certainly breed for ivs but its not a requirement even though it does take the fun out of the game but its always something to do

i do also care about nature, I also breed for hidden powers its really not that hard. Breeding for ivs isnt that hard if youve been doing it for a while as parents are more ready as you breed them.

Really, IVs are important, nature is too but its easy to get the right nature, ivs are something else...

5 ivs makes around one percent difference in damage, thats actually a lot since there are so many things that cut it close to 1HKO ing or 2HKO ing

you guys do what you want though

gradevoirs_leader
8th September 2007, 12:47 PM
Im reallly picky in what pokes i use so my steps are:
A. i dont care about all that untill i finish the game
B. Use wifi to get parents with good ivs(27 to 31)
C. breed like crazy untill i get the right nature with good IV's
D. Rase it and adimre my self for not hacking and for haveing a grate poke with my O.T.

ChaosAngel
9th September 2007, 9:19 AM
I go for natures, EV training and IVs.
I EV train alot.
As long as it has 25 or more IVs on stats that I want.

Digital Flareon
9th September 2007, 9:25 AM
I breed for acceptable IVs and a beneficial nature/characteristic. I tend to deviate from the standard a bit with my EV training, but I am organized in doing it and I battle for my EVs like everyone else.

xgina
9th September 2007, 9:30 AM
hell i have like 40 competitive pokemon with great IVs, as i couldn't be bothered sticking with one team

Cigarette
10th September 2007, 12:07 AM
Im training my first competitive team up but i dont really have time to breed loads and loads of each of my team members to get good IVs.

However I have got the right natures/abilities and im quickly EV training each member. I was just curious as to how far other people go?

Do you go the full hog right down to the IVs or just pick up any old pokemon you like? Im curious to see what the playingfield is like at there in competitive battling

-Animus ;350;

Same for me, because to be completely honest, I dont know how to use the IV thingy yet, but all my current pokemon are EV and Nature as well as hatched from eggs, so, :P

I mean, in local playing with friends and little tournaments and stuff I usually come out on top or dang close :D

blazingjirachi
10th September 2007, 4:41 PM
if its a common pokemon ill iv
otherwise jus ev's is fine with me

Tailwind~
11th September 2007, 3:51 PM
I'll do it all.

Traits, Natures, EVs, IVs, sometimes even GENDERS.

I'm that much of a perfectionist. D:

cham1259
11th September 2007, 4:05 PM
I don't do it.... I feel a bit too lazy for that. But I do use the protein and such then let him/her hold the designated power item.

Gestalt
12th September 2007, 6:02 AM
I usually just breed until I get the nature I want and EV train accordingly. IVs take too long to get exactly right and aren't really worth the effort, IMO.

Rhiakath
12th September 2007, 7:29 AM
This is like the basis of the sheep's wool, to make the finnest wool it takes time and a lot generations of sheeps with great wool quality! It's just like pokemon! For example I'm recently training a weavile, first I caught a medicham and a buneary for the ice punch move, the medicham I caught had a "Likes to trash about" meaning that it probably had an 31 attack IV, which it had, and the buneary had a Good preservance I think! So I bred them until I got a female buneary with the likes to trash about thing cuz I wanted was a male with that same charatheristics I got one finally and I caught a Alert to sounds sneasel later! Has I bred these pokemon some of the progenies had the high IVs I wanted so I switched male or the female (Depending on the baby's gender) for that newborn... Like this the following babies got Those high IVs!

And the result was this

Level 1 Sneasel
Ability: Keen eye
Nature: Jolly
IV's:
HP - 27/29(not very sure)
ATT - 29
DEF - 31
SP.ATT - 25/29(doesn't really metter)
SP.DEF - 31
SPD - 31

I could continue to breed it to perfect IVs but that would take a lot of time which I preffer to spend in other activities... All this, since the start, took me about 5 hours x.x, and about 40/50 eggs!

And that's how I do it! =x

Stay Sick \m/

Torterra-417
12th September 2007, 7:55 AM
I don't EV Train (save Power items), but natures matter!

SheikTheGeek
12th September 2007, 8:30 AM
I EV train EVERY pokemon I plan on using seriously...as for IVs, I do it when I deem it necessary. Or when I can go out and catch a pokemon with above average IVs.

S.H.L
12th September 2007, 9:33 AM
Back in R/S/E I was making a team for the little mew competition last year but I just stopped I would use 252 Ev's in all two particular stats.

Crawdaunt King
12th September 2007, 12:09 PM
Ive never really tried Ev training.
I am not very good at it thats why I rather pokerus because its a just easier for me.

MassivePanda
12th September 2007, 12:21 PM
I don't care TOO much about IV's, but I EV train the Pokemon I wanna use for competitive gameplay. As for breeding, it can get quite confusing, so I don't do it often.

Sparkyperson
12th September 2007, 5:21 PM
I don't care about the natures or IVs. The ability and EVs i do concentrate on though.

Rhiakath
12th September 2007, 7:16 PM
lo0l natures IVs and EVs can make like a 76 stat gap like if you have a physical based attack and you have 176 attack stat and you have another pokemon with a 100 attack stat attack with both and see the diference... For instance my garchomp has perfect attack stats like 31 IV 252 EV and adamant nature and 26 speed IV, but like 2 IV in defense x.x, and one guy came with another garchomp I attacked first and I attacked with dragon claw the guy stayed with like 10 hp used dragon rush, I think, and 1 hit KO for me! That got me thinking what if I had a higher defense IV would I survive that? probably.... And like why do some people get mix physical with special based attacks in the same pokemon that's a waste in my point of view, offensivly speaking I think a pokemon should only have either physical or special based attacks, so you can achieve max power to sweep through the hall! That's the gap between a trainer and a real trainer.. Then you ask "why am I owned?" =\... Seriously people I think kinda boring to lose =x so that's why I breed them to the best I can!

Stay Sick \m/

cradle_of_filth_rock
12th September 2007, 7:40 PM
i odt bother training ivs and evs and stuff i just get whatever and train from like level 1 giviing them the strongest attacks i can

Gallade-Master
12th September 2007, 7:55 PM
I dont care too much about IVs but recently ive been doing a lot of EV training.

The Claw of Zangoose
12th September 2007, 8:10 PM
The whole wallop.
-The right nature
-25+ in all the important IVs
-31 in speed/HP (provided I need it), because these are the two most important stats IVwise
-EVs perfected
-Egg Moves

yeah, it takes ages though.

rekreatur
12th September 2007, 8:39 PM
I just pick the one with the right nature and ability.Yesterday I finally got an adamant buneary but it had klutz:@

U DIE TONIGHT
13th September 2007, 10:51 AM
I ev train, breed for natures, egg moves and hidden power. Ivs are just an added bonus, such as my max spd iv aerodactyl. That thing was pure luck. It pays off in the end though. HP ice is awesome on a gengar.

OverlordPhoros
13th September 2007, 11:11 AM
If it's got a good nature I'll EV train it properly. Otherwise if it's a Pokemon I like Ill just train it normally. Don't really fuss about the IVs, that's just too much work in my opinion. Currently working on a Modest Mewtwo and a Jolly Infernape via EV Training.

Wasiul Hoque
13th September 2007, 11:28 AM
I go most of the way:
First up I put it in my mind what kinda pokemon I want.
Then I get the parents needed for the breeding (the right nature female etc. and the male that knows the egg moves).
Then I breed, until I get good IV'd pokemon in the stats that matter, if I get it in def, sp. def to a sweeper (with good attack/sp. attack and speed too) then it's a bonus but not necessary. If I need max IV's then I go for it but no more than one max IV I go for, since I think the odds are too hard.
So after about 7-10 boxes of breeding, getting the best possible one and marking any others that are potentially good, I start EV training, the semi-easy part.
Then when I get the effort ribbon I start normally training, with the lucky egg to lvl 100. It takes time, but not that hard, unless your really unlucky, sometimes it takes a long time to get good IV's..

AmélieMelo
13th September 2007, 1:28 PM
I go most of the way:
First up I put it in my mind what kinda pokemon I want.
Then I get the parents needed for the breeding (the right nature female etc. and the male that knows the egg moves).
Then I breed, until I get good IV'd pokemon in the stats that matter, if I get it in def, sp. def to a sweeper (with good attack/sp. attack and speed too) then it's a bonus but not necessary. If I need max IV's then I go for it but no more than one max IV I go for, since I think the odds are too hard.
So after about 7-10 boxes of breeding, getting the best possible one and marking any others that are potentially good, I start EV training, the semi-easy part.
Then when I get the effort ribbon I start normally training, with the lucky egg to lvl 100. It takes time, but not that hard, unless your really unlucky, sometimes it takes a long time to get good IV's..

I do the exact same thing! Plus, you can offer up for trade the "useless" other pokemons that have high IVs! It's fun :3

EeveePower
14th September 2007, 2:46 PM
For competative:
1)I play out the game,obtaining national dex and anything else, taking into account i catch whatever female with various natures i find along the way taking breeding and endgame into account then already.
2)I choose 2 pokemon to start basing my team on, doing some maths on how i should spend their ev's/iv's and which nature they should have and then i compare it to the most played pokemon in the appropriate "league"(uber/uu/ou/..) to see what they can counter of that entire huge list.
3)I start looking at what pokemon could counter even more of those taking combos into account.
4)In the end i should have a team in mind that can take out at least 75% of the most played pokemon/teams/combos and i finaly start catching and breeding and possibly even trading.
5)I breed every pokemon i need with the right nature/breeded moves.
6)I start training it to perfection(lvl 100 with perfect iv/ev's) like i thought about above.

PS: For teams i have a truly good feeling about, i'll even continue breeding for a shiny version to play a full shiny team as i rarely play uber games.

Gagga
15th September 2007, 4:34 PM
I get a Pokémon with the perfect nature, and I care pretty much about IVs. But I don't care about EVs, because I suck at it, and too much work and pain, but I'll maybe in the future care about EVs. Also, it HAS to be a male.

DarkTyphlosion157
15th September 2007, 4:49 PM
EV training, Egg moves, decent IVs, good nature, best ability. Really the whole hog If I can be bothered

wants_latios_lots
15th September 2007, 4:53 PM
Uhh, I pick out a pokemon I like. And then, if I want to go competitive, I train for EV's, after getting the moveset I like for it. I'll breed for moves, and occasionally the right nature, but I don't mess with IV's.
-a pokemon I like
-the right moves
-the right nature (sometimes).

Bungy2
16th September 2007, 12:25 AM
I do nature, decent ivs, then ev train

Joe Vega #4
16th September 2007, 1:06 AM
I breed moves and natures and gain EV's. I check IV's when I feel like it.

RufflesthePidgey
16th September 2007, 3:28 PM
I don't have nearly enough time on my hands to care about IVs too much. And even less patience. I'll hatch up to a dozen eggs and pick the best nature. Then EV train.

waterfall
16th September 2007, 11:55 PM
As long as I have a good nature and decent stats I'm fine. I don't go overboard with breeding and hatching eggs because I have things more important to do than playing games. Maybe when I have enough time I will breed to perfection, but that's not likely.

Rakurai
17th September 2007, 12:00 AM
About as far as I can realistically go. That is, I usually aim for three flawless IVs, the ideal nature, and EV train to perfection. I also try to get a high damage hidden power of the proper type if it'll benefit my Pokemon greatly.

Lately, I've started to settle with only a flawless IV in speed (If a Pokemon is a sweeper), and decent IVs in the rest, since speed tends to make the biggest difference.

Ethan
17th September 2007, 12:10 AM
I usually never bother with EV's due to the fact that I'm so lazy.

S.H.L
17th September 2007, 12:57 AM
I go so far that When I EV train I actually take out a peice of paper and write down where my EV's go.

Rhiakath
17th September 2007, 1:11 AM
I go so far that When I EV train I actually take out a peice of paper and write down where my EV's go.

Me too! or simply I guide through the PP of my attacks, usually when EV train a pokemon it just 1 hit KO's the other pokemon so that attack PP is equal to X EVs, but I only do this to 1 type of EVs, only attack 1 EV givers, or 2 EV givers, or 3 EV givers so I can later multiply the PP usage for the EVs like I use a total of 60 PP and I only battle 2 EV givers, so 60*2=120! I use pokeradar also to always come up with the same right pokemon for my training!

Stay Sick \m/

Xenon
17th September 2007, 2:20 AM
Eh, all I do is EV train. If I happen to get a good nature, then lucky me. If I ever find out how to do IVs, I'll pick it up.

Animus
18th September 2007, 7:54 PM
I forgot about this thread I had assumed it died and was lost in the pages of this forum.

Recently ive been tossing and turning about how far to go with IVs trying to get the Staryu in my sig is proving very difficult because of my lack of good Dittos

E.J.S
18th September 2007, 8:41 PM
I have just begun to care about IVs an stuff but otherwise I do it all.

Chaos Emperor
19th September 2007, 7:34 AM
I focus on natres. And recently, I've decided to focus on breeding moves, and EVs. I don't bother with IVs, mainly because they are beyond the players control.

Ging
19th September 2007, 5:52 PM
First, I pick a pokemon that appeals to me. Then I see what moves it learns, plan a moveset, and then train it. No EV's, IV's, natures, anything. If you have to plan the way your pokemon grows by determining its stats and what not, then you fail as a trainer IMO.

And don't give me any of that 'OMG Ev pokeymans r teh wins.' They're just carbon copy pokemon.

duncan
19th September 2007, 6:04 PM
I'm really into competitive battling, so I go for everything; IV's, EV's, Natures and Egg Moves. It takes a while (usually at least a week) to get the perfect Pokemon and train it, but when you get it into battle it's defintely worth it.

Senor Finaleze
20th September 2007, 1:52 AM
I go all out since I have so much time, even with Football practice lol

Hauntershadow92
20th September 2007, 1:58 AM
At the begging of the game, I plan out what team I'm gonna have for the E-4. By the time I get to the E-4, they are kinda EV, trained. So they are sort of competitive worthy. The problem is, none of them are my favorite, so what i do is go running from person to person, from place to place to get the Pokes. I also hate battling with some1 else poke, so I breed it. I don't care about natures, unless it is a nature that gets in the way of my EV traing. Then I try and max out all six of my favorite Pokes. I dont care about IVs either. First time Im actually purposly EV training a team. I go one Poke at a time thoug, so pretty much six weeks for six pokes.

Enigma
20th September 2007, 1:19 PM
i lose a lot with my current non - i.v. bred team. so now i'm training a new team. this is what i did for my weavile: i traded for a sneasel with the right nature and ice punch. then i bred it with my own sneasel. after i had 30 babies with the right nature, i checked their i.v.s and found the best baby of each gender. then i bred those, getting another boxful of babies with the right nature. and then i checked their i.v.s, ending up with a sneasel with perfect i.v.s in speed, attk, and def. i also had 3 others with perfect speed and attack i.v.s which i traded away. all in all, i probably bred at least a hundred sneasel...my weavile better be strong.

Natsu
20th September 2007, 4:09 PM
I think I completely train them, since get them from eggs for moves, pick about 6/7 with the right nature and ability, then calculate the Ivs, pick the best one, then Ev train and level up at the end. The most frustrating part I think is Ivs, because most of times I get high Ivs in stats I won't need for my pkmn. I never look for a perfect pkmn with 31 in every stat, but most of mine pkmns have more than 20 in every stat except Att or S.Att if I won't use it.^^

Azelf of Cruxis
20th September 2007, 8:01 PM
I'm quite a competitive battler, but I don't bother about the IVs unless they're really good, like with my female 31 IV Speed Adamant Absol. (heck, my Garchomp has a perfect 31 Special Attack IV, and I don't care XD *brick'd*) But I bother a lot about natures and EVs, I'll do a lot to get a Pokemon with the right nature.

Of coarse, the shiny Quiet untouched IV 31 Sp. Attack Dialga I have was all luck, I didn't try to get it. Seems like it's luck > determination for me.

The Thunderbird
21st September 2007, 3:57 AM
I breed for lots of good/perfect IVs and the right nature, then EV train with the Counter app.

Somebody
21st September 2007, 5:22 AM
I go for good ivs, get the right nature, and ev train.

Blackmetal
25th September 2007, 12:29 AM
I breed with everstone dittos and only accept things with 17+ in key stats. Extreme IV breeding is something I'm considering, though.

Rhiakath
25th September 2007, 12:44 AM
I don't understand when people say that IVs are out of a player's control, 'cause that's not true you can totally choose what IVs your pokemon will have! If you breed 2 pokemon with the same IVs, like you have 2 Gible with 31 attack IVs the chance of the subsquent pokemon having 31 attack IV is greatly increased and IV non = IVsthey will just have one of the parents IV or a random one but you have at least 1 stat assured so you just keep trying or switching one pokemon to another with a maxed IV and just wait to get that IV then put the newborn to breed and so switch the other and repeat the whole thing (I don't think I've explained it very well... ups =x), I talk for personal expirience cuz that's the way I do it! So what I'm trying to say is that you have complete control of your pokemon's stats, the stressing part is the time you spend on this, but for me I usually don't take more than 8 hours to get an almost IV perfeted, right natured, egg moved pokemon with the right ability(that works the same has IVs)! The only thing I don't really belive is having all of this and the pokemon being shiny x.x! Let's explore our pokemon and force then to f... breed with their parents -.-!

Stay Sick \m/

SlipKnoT
25th September 2007, 2:31 PM
I never really do that much. I never pay attention to natures, I don't care about IVs, and I don't think I've ever EV trained. I just see it as too much work for something I don't care much about. I never battle anymore, I had my first battle in I don't know how long last night (win). And why should I take that much time to do something that probably wouldn't even make a difference in something I never do anymore anyway? I just like playing the game for the fun, I don't care about natures or IVs or EV training, I care about having fun. That's it.

BlazeShadow
25th September 2007, 3:06 PM
I only go far enough to care about the nature and EV's, too lazy to get other good IV stuff.

Dr Elite
25th September 2007, 4:14 PM
i train my pokemon and care about the natures. i will happilly give them vitamins i find but cant be bothered beyond that. now i know what natures do i try to find decent natures that raise the stts which work with their movesets. but the only stat i will lower is def or spdef. everythin else is impotant.

boxchan
25th September 2007, 9:13 PM
IVs, EVs and Nature.
I can get quite perfectionist about IVs sometimes.

And Hidden Power, but I tend to take longer breeding for them as I get distracted by other things more easily.

darkumbreon7
25th September 2007, 10:42 PM
urgh.. i find IVs really boring. i can't stand breeding for aaages to get the right IVs, when it takes me long enough to get the right nature.

i ususally:
1. Capture the female version
2. Breed egg moves
3. Breed until i get the right nature
4. EV train it perfect, using the counter :P

i really have no time for perfect IVs... not that i don't know how, it's just that it takes ages and i don't find it that fun compared to the other stuff

Conquistador
26th September 2007, 12:06 PM
EVs religiously,

Natures religiously,

31 in the most important stat(s),

25 + in the next most important stat(s).

dragontamertje
26th September 2007, 3:07 PM
how do i see when a pokemon got good IV's cuz i don't know how to see it and i really want my team maxed out

dragontamertje
26th September 2007, 3:21 PM
how do i see iv's? is that the text above the sort of food it likes? or just when i compare 5 pokemon just the 1 whit highest stats?
pls send me a private message to me if someone gives me GOOD information ill give u a shiny adamant salamence ;373;

m15-07
26th September 2007, 3:35 PM
When i try to get EV's and IV's this is what i do:

IV's: i breed 2 of what ever im trying to get then i compare them to each other take who ever has the better nature, stats and Characteristics and use that 1.

EV's: When im training I will always use a power item to help and also only ever train on 1 pokemon that will gve me the right EV's then i may go bk to breeding for IV's and see how the off spring turns out with same EV training.

damna
26th September 2007, 5:45 PM
I can't be bothered to go and breed or EV train, so I only go as far as movesets.

_Aerodactyl_
26th September 2007, 9:45 PM
Here's what i do:

Let's say i want a gengar. So im going to catch around 20 Ghastly's. I want a Timid or Modest and hey, i have both. I compare the IV's: both are ***. So i look for other natures that raise Satk or speed. Hey look, i got a Rash. The IV's are realy good in the stats that matter (Satk and speed) it's def is *** but i don't need that.

So im going to EV train the rash gastly and getting a rash gengar.

repeat for all other poke's on my team.

Rule o' Thumb: if the Iv's suck, search for another, accceptable nature. if that's sucks too, your just unlucky. try again :P
lol thats exactly what I do. I don't bother hatching eggs, takes too long. Except if that Pokemon can't be caught in the Wild :o

starterlover1
26th September 2007, 11:36 PM
-Check on an IV calculator what stats a pokemon needs to have to qualify for perfect IVs.

-Catch pokemon for breeding.

-Breed egg moves onto them first.

-Breed with one of my perfect IV ditto so it hatches with a higher chance of having a perfect IV in that stat, leveling them up to level 20 for an accurate IV reading.

Repeat for the stats needed (HP and defenses on walls, Speed and offenses on sweepers).

-Breed the perfect (or darn close) baby with one of my nature ditto, holding an everstone.

-Hatch the eggs until I get nature and IVs (and ability).

-EV train them with D/P's power items.

-Transfer in pokemon holding the TMs I need them to know, as well as lefties, PP max and up (for EVERY move that has less than 15 pp in the team).

-Level them up to their moves, or level 50 so I can use them in the battle tower.

Dummy
28th September 2007, 3:42 AM
I always go to the max to training. IV's EV's, and natures. I always do it to pokemon that I want to use competitively.

Siege
29th September 2007, 1:57 AM
I personally have a bank of dittos saved up, one of each nature. So the I basically breed for egg moves or whatnot, then breed one of the males with an everstone ditto for whatever nature I want. Now, I wasn't really aware of this whole "IV passing thing" before- most of what I learned up until a year ago was from personal experiments- but to make up for it, I usually breed 30 or 40 eggs. Then I test them to see which one I want to use, EV train it, and level it up.

Knight_Ram
29th September 2007, 2:16 AM
I have only just started to go all the way now... It pays off quite alot!!

1. I hatch about 6 eggs.

2. I choose the best Pokémon with the best Iv's.

3. I then EV train the best Iv'd Pokémon.

4. After EV training, I just go hard at the Elite Four until level 100.

5. Have a hell of a lot of fun destroying my mates for shinies...=D

Rabid Jigglypuff
29th September 2007, 3:04 AM
I go as far as...species. I feel bad using my Ev'd Pokemon w/ good nature. I don't know why. So I stick to just regularly training Pokemon.

palkia1
29th September 2007, 10:47 AM
I breed for the right nature and to set up perfect EV's with the correct moveset. I want to use IV's but i don't know how to find out what they are. I go very far. I just don't know how to do IV's. I even soft-reset for perfect natured legends and one off pokemon

swampert55
1st October 2007, 2:51 AM
I breed for egg moves and natures, but all of the Pokemon I have are sweeepers. No tanks, supporters, only sweepers. I actually have a mixed sweeper Umbreon.

Pink Parka Girl
1st October 2007, 2:56 AM
I EV train, breed for egg moves, natures and IVs - but when it comes to IVs, I'm not terribly picky. As long as they're not bottom of the barrel crap (I'm happy with values being over 20 or so - the best I've ever gotten is my Pikachu with 31 in Sp. Attack, Sp, Defense, and Speed), I'm fine with them - I don't have the patience to breed and breed and breed to get 31's across the board. Also, I tend to raise and train pokémon I like rather than follow tier guidelines. (Why else would I work on EV training and battling my Shining Plusle and Minun pair? :P ).

boorego
1st October 2007, 4:27 AM
I Breed for egg moves, then I breed for natures, then I breed for abilities, then i get 6 of thoes eggs, raise them all to level 15 and see which one has the best iv's. So I'm a pretty standard breeder.

Dr.Paynegwynn
1st October 2007, 5:10 AM
I don't fully understand IV's YET, and I just started EV training, so for right now all I care about is the fact that my pokemon have good natures and abilities and attacks.

dj_latios
3rd October 2007, 12:34 PM
I'm not very well into IV's yet but i rapidly EV train my pokemon.especially those which have dog faces like lucario (mine is nicknamed rabies)but,I EV train all of them

Pachirisu
3rd October 2007, 12:43 PM
I EV train some pokemon but not all of them.

Rudol Ichiga
4th October 2007, 4:43 AM
Hahaah I Ev train and breed thats it

Profesco
4th October 2007, 5:04 AM
-Check on an IV calculator what stats a pokemon needs to have to qualify for perfect IVs.

-Catch pokemon for breeding.

-Breed egg moves onto them first.

-Breed with one of my perfect IV ditto so it hatches with a higher chance of having a perfect IV in that stat, leveling them up to level 20 for an accurate IV reading.

Repeat for the stats needed (HP and defenses on walls, Speed and offenses on sweepers).

-Breed the perfect (or darn close) baby with one of my nature ditto, holding an everstone.

-Hatch the eggs until I get nature and IVs (and ability).

-EV train them with D/P's power items.

-Transfer in pokemon holding the TMs I need them to know, as well as lefties, PP max and up (for EVERY move that has less than 15 pp in the team).

-Level them up to their moves, or level 50 so I can use them in the battle tower.

My hero.... This is just like my breeding regimen! Fellow Pokemon breeders unite!!! HYAH! HATCH!

Dusknoir_Curse
4th October 2007, 5:36 AM
I only go as far as ev training and a bit of breeding. I'm not a patient person when it comes to breeding and it does take a while to get a perfect pokemon.

dj_latios
4th October 2007, 8:37 AM
I'm not very well into IV's yet but i rapidly EV train my pokemon.especially those which have dog faces like lucario (mine is nicknamed rabies)but,I EV train all of them
added to this it would be my outrageous fascination with breeding

Cubed
4th October 2007, 8:47 AM
I don't EV train my in-game team, but I'm getting into competitive battling, so EV training now.

dj_latios
4th October 2007, 8:53 AM
I would like to hear someone say I EV TRAIN FOR FUN.....that would be fun.

calvin_0
4th October 2007, 9:23 AM
well

1. i capture them for Nature
2. breed for IV
3. replace the parent when the child IV is higher then the current parent.
4. repeat step 2 - 3 until i got the desire IV
5. infect them with Pokerus
6. Ev train them with the correct Power item.

that is the steps i take for my team.

uzumakikunai
4th October 2007, 9:34 AM
i EV train and do natures, thats it.
btw if anyone has a spare power item xcept bracer, PM me and ill make it worth yer while.

Tommy West
4th October 2007, 11:39 AM
Ok I just need a little help understanding how to check IV's of my pokemon. I've just breed a much of Ralts and I want get the best possible Gallade I can.

I've tried using the DP calculator, but I don't really understand it.

Could anyone help me? Perhapses tell me how to use the DP calculator it would be much appreciated.

Sudo
4th October 2007, 4:52 PM
I went pretty far with my Weavile...

1. I caught a Medicham, and taught it Ice Punch

2. I bred the Male Medicham with a female Buneary

3. I took the Male Buneary baby (with Ice Punch) and bred it with my old Weavile.

4. I collected a couple sneasel babies. One was JOLLY and alert to sounds. I can skip step 5.

5. breed with Jolly ditto

Kaliber
5th October 2007, 12:24 AM
I didnt do any of this I just did this thing called having fun and playing a game.

Arceus Master
5th October 2007, 1:15 AM
I usally just train them until they have learned all the moves that I want them to.

SeliphFroakie
5th October 2007, 2:43 AM
I expect at least a 26 IV in a best stat and no less than 21 in other stats, and only a nature that helps out what a Pokémon is best for. For example, my Metagross (saved my Master Ball for the Beldum swarm that I got it in) has a 30 Attack IV (and a pathetic 4 Speed IV but Agility sorta covers that up) and has an Adamant nature, and my Umbreon has a Bold nature and a 30 Defense IV and at least a 28 HP IV (the rest are around 14). I don't breed, as I don't want to waste days at a time hatching dud eggs unless it's something like Weavile who absolutely can't be used without an egg move. I did have to trade away a Jolly Garchomp because it was screwed with a 0 (!) Attack IV (to a neighbor kid who didn't have Garchomp or any of the other great physical sweepers, for a spare Master Ball he had), and I did trade an Eevee (Quirky nature) whose genes were all in the upper 20s because none of the Eeveelutions would really benefit from a neutral nature like that.

I reset before attempting to catch any legendaries that matter. My Toys "R" Us Manaphy has a Timid nature and 27 IV's in Speed and Sp. Atk and I had to take a 12 Sp. Atk IV on my Cresselia (caught with the above-mentioned Master Ball) because the HP, Defense, and Sp. Def IVs were all above 26, and a Calm nature to boot, but I just took whatever Uxie gave me.

I got the Pokérus when EV training my starting Chimchar (Modest, so I couldn't evolve it until it got Flamethrower to save me a TM on the Special Sweeper set), and I have all the Pokémon I intend to EV train get the Pokérus, so EV training is a whole lot easier for me. As for what gets EV trained, I try to look in the Pokémon of the Week section of this site for how to do it right. I've got a composition notebook to keep track of EV's.

So to sum it up, I have high, but not insane standards for my Pokémon.

NS_Blaziken_57
6th October 2007, 1:09 AM
Here's an example of something I might do.

Say, I want, oh, a Medicham. But wait! I want to get one with, say, Bullet Punch. I'll get a female Jolly Meditite from the start (IVs don't matter), then look for endless Abras/Machops until I get one with 30+ Speed/Attack IVs. I'll breed that until that excellent IV stat is passed down to the daughter, who shares her mother's nature, then find a father that has good IVs that the other one is lacking (if I bred it with 31 Attack IV Machop, I'll breed with a 30+ Speed IV father), and also knows the Egg Move I want (in this case, a Hitmonchan with Bullet Punch). Then I'll find a comfortable place to EV train a particular stat (for attack, one of the early Routes, with Shinxes and Starlys), then the other stats.

Time-consuming, I know, but I don't EV train many.

Ethan
6th October 2007, 1:24 AM
I usually neve bother with EVs partly because its tedious and partly because Im lazy. I dont over scrutinize.

Veteran Merik
15th October 2007, 9:31 AM
Hmm...well, doesn't look like I should be playing online at all...

I get the right Nature...unless the characteristic is completely retarded, I don't worry about it...I feed it some Vitamins, then I fight stuff until it's the level I need it..

rayquazax
15th October 2007, 4:03 PM
I just checked and my roserade has max IV's in everything except for attack and defense

Leopiz
15th October 2007, 9:05 PM
I usually just EV train.
However, for a perfect competitive team, I always check IVs.

fhqwhgads
16th October 2007, 12:37 AM
Thinking of going into competitive more, so I'll need all of it. Now, though, I only do Natures(somewhat) and EV's. Like my Modest, max Sp. Att. EV'd Azelf! With single digit IV's in EVERYTHING.

Hero
16th October 2007, 12:50 AM
breed for nature, breed for IV's, EV train. simple. time consuming, but simple. i'm pretty new to D/P and i'm only about halfway through my battle tower team, but i'm just disappointed about the lack of good places to EV train ('cept sp.def cos tentacruels are in abundance).

fhqwhgads
16th October 2007, 12:58 AM
breed for nature, breed for IV's, EV train. simple. time consuming, but simple. i'm pretty new to D/P and i'm only about halfway through my battle tower team, but i'm just disappointed about the lack of good places to EV train ('cept sp.def cos tentacruels are in abundance).
Resort Area pond, only Golducks. 2 Sp. Att. without any external help.

Hero
16th October 2007, 1:08 AM
Resort Area pond, only Golducks. 2 Sp. Att. without any external help.

cheers for that, will help quite a lot i should imagine
ive been battling roselias in the trophy garden (and occasionally the socialite next to the mansion for a bit of cash and a couple of sp.atk pts) but it was always a pain in the arse cos of all the bloody staravias and pikachus. and then when i want staravias and pikachus for speed, all i get is roselias. figures.

Metal Force
16th October 2007, 2:15 AM
Yes I care about IVs as much as EVs and natures, so I breed a parents with a good IV (natures are easy but getting the nature + the good IV well..), or just breed to get a good hatch then EV train it.

Pirate Crash
16th October 2007, 2:17 AM
Hmm as far as i go....

I only have EV Trained Pokemon i only get 1 of, such as events Pokemon. Other Pokemon i decided i can EV train later on because i can get them again later on. +It takes a ton of time, and i have yet to learn about IVs and i only know the basics of EVs.

Kaliber
16th October 2007, 5:57 AM
hmm...I still just have fun playing a game.

Guess most people don't do that anymore.

Emperor Giratina
16th October 2007, 8:36 AM
I just go as far as required when EV training a certain team....

Conquistador
16th October 2007, 9:00 AM
I just checked and my roserade has max IV's in everything except for attack and defense

If you've trained it at all that is likely to be incorrect.

dadustypirate
16th October 2007, 9:20 AM
i usually get the right nature and EV train but i just check my IVs i dont worry about them
EDIT: rank up

Mikaruge84
16th October 2007, 9:40 AM
I breed them until I get the right nature and if they have average IVs or higher I EV train them.

NinjaScyther4
16th October 2007, 10:39 AM
I breed for natures, but it dont really care for Ivs. I dont battle conpetitively so it dosent really matter. I only pokemon i really care about for Ivs is Scyther!!!!!!!!!!!

Although for all those breeders out there get all the ditto nature and breeding becomes sooooooo much easier :P

spawngod316
16th October 2007, 3:36 PM
I rarely check the IV's, unless it's for catching a legend. Then I will catch it with master ball, check its stats, and repeat for an hour until I get one with sweet IV's.

For breeding, I got all the dittos to breed the right nature. Then I breed about 10-12 of each one, level each of them-up with rare candies to level 10, and train the best one. I can't stand breeding 50-60 of them just to get the IV's above 25 in most categories.

Kaliber
16th October 2007, 6:11 PM
All of that is way to much time and effort..

rayquazax
16th October 2007, 6:35 PM
no pain, no gain

Dimentio
17th October 2007, 12:09 AM
EVs and Natures as far as Online-Teams (And occasionally IVs, but not perfect ones), only Natures with In-game teams.

Guraena
17th October 2007, 12:24 AM
I breed for natures and IVs, and I EV train. For IVs, I try to get atleast 20 or above in the [important] stats and sometimes I aim for that 31 point. I have some pretty good breeding fodder (Dittos, etc.) so my Pokes end up in the 20s or above most of the time in their IVs.

RDSchley
17th October 2007, 4:10 AM
I can't calculate IVs and i don't plan to, I do care very much about natures though. A nature can be a 20-50 stat difference, although if i don't get teh right nature but it's close i won't mind. Docile, Serious and other nuetral natures i normally accept. EV training i barely do. I know what i need to be knocking out butvery rarely do i go 255/255 anything. I like to get the vitamins so i don't have to spend hours getting the right EVs if i care too much.

Rare pokemon i'm very picky about. My new Milotic MUST have good S.attack and defenses because i don't want to breed another 17 for a good nature/dry eater

Olórin
17th October 2007, 4:23 AM
Let me put it this way, I once bred 88 eevee eggs just to try and get an eevee with a timid nature for my jolteon. I still don't have one. PM me if you do!

Sudo
18th October 2007, 1:11 AM
DUDE!!!1 Get a ditto man! It'll make it a lot easier!!

If you want, I'll get you a timid eevee for a "leftovers" if you want. I have a timid Ditto kickin around.

mega_sam
18th October 2007, 7:56 PM
I dont bother with IVs, most of my pokemon have good enough stats already. I do try to use natures to my advantage. I always EV train my pokemon.

Gribman92
19th October 2007, 2:22 AM
I breed for good nature and iv's they are key to me, I also look at poplular ev spreads and pick the one that fits my pokemon.

Wolfclaw
19th October 2007, 4:42 AM
Alright, this is what I do for my Pokemons.
Let's say I'm breeding for a SpecsMence.

1. Get a Gyarados with 31+ Spd that knows Hydro Pump. Breed with a Female with decent IVs until I get a male baby with 31 in speed.
2. Grab my 31 Spatk, Modest Ditto, and force my Bagon to meet until my new baby is male, modest, 31 in spatk and spd, and knows hydro pump. My IV breeding minimun is kinda like this-

Hp:26+
Atk: X
Def:25+
Spatk: 30-31
SpDef:25+
Spd:31

cfc-4-eva
19th October 2007, 2:14 PM
I breed for a good nature compare the similar natures, say a Abra I'd look at all the naive, timid, rash, mild, hasty, modest then ev train it

rockliplip
19th October 2007, 2:21 PM
i dont battle competitlvly so genraly my teams are bad cause all i do is
Nature rasises stat i need(eg.garchomp attack or speed)lower stat i dont need (drapion at naughty)
and i dont iv cause i egg move them
but i ev after they have hit level 30ish

Incarnati0n
20th October 2007, 3:17 PM
natures, eggmoves, ivs, evs. the only thing I loath is hidden power.

but I have to admit, not all of my iv ditto's have the same ivs now, then they had when they were caught, if you know what I mean.

Affirmative
20th October 2007, 3:22 PM
I only go as far as natures and egg move chains. -_-

Sync
20th October 2007, 4:47 PM
I'm not too serious about IVs OR Natures; I don't battle anyone other than my friends much, anyway.

I guess my first actual EV-training project would be my Abra (which shouldn't take long since Abra can murder everything in Old Chateau anyway), then my Glaceon.

Of course, I might get another Abra, since it has an awful Nature (+ Attack - Speed).

Raden Surya
20th October 2007, 5:32 PM
~Hold Item
~Moveset
~Ability
~Nature
~EV
~IV
Pretty much all the factors for a perfect Pokemon.
Still not so serious about IV though, let alone Hidden Power.

Yes, I made perfect Pokes, but I'm still not so good at battling. Guess I'm just a breeder at most.

dragoniteKnight
20th October 2007, 11:47 PM
If i ever obtain a pokemon thats breedable in a trade I breed it, if not (like my deoxis i just got) i just put it my party, give it an exp share, and let my 86+party work its magic in the elite 4,(i noticed i can get a lvl 1 to 33 on avergage at the end);386-a;

Discharge
23rd October 2007, 6:06 PM
I dont care IVs if they are reasonable but if they are clearly below average I get a new poke but I always do EV training because it makes your pokemon a lot stronger

NotChip
23rd October 2007, 6:12 PM
I train for EV's and natures.

I don't know how to work out IV's nor know how they work.

Chibi Pika
23rd October 2007, 7:11 PM
If I'm breeding a Poke, I make sure it's IVs are good, like 28-31 in the important stats...the others should be high, but I'm not gonna reset on something like 11/31/14/30/8/30 for a Lucario. =/

EVs I obviously try to get right, as well as natures. My first Cranidos from the museum was Adamant, so I trained it, even though its IV's were only decent.

And Hidden Power is no. >> I hate the damn thing, and I'm glad that my Pokemon are all the sort that have good enough movepools to not NEED the stupid thing.

~Chibi~;249;;448;

Kyogre Master
23rd October 2007, 8:54 PM
I breed for moves, abilities, and natures (sometimes for gender), then I EV train.

Drake Pokétrainer
23rd October 2007, 10:02 PM
I don't IV or EV I just train my pokémon.

phantom1113
24th October 2007, 9:56 AM
evs nature, if it has rly bad ivs (4) i dont train it, but else i dont rly care.

Imperator_Venit
24th October 2007, 10:07 AM
I always make sure my pokemon has the correct nature (usually timid or jolly for me), as well as good IVs in the most important stat/s (usually speed). I then EV train them and hey presto, done! :)

U DIE TONIGHT
24th October 2007, 10:49 AM
EV Train
Nature Breed
IV Breed
Hidden Power Breed
Essentially all of it.

epidave1
24th October 2007, 2:48 PM
i just do ev's and natures/egg moves

cant be bothered with IV's- takes too long to get good iv's with a good nature and takes a while to find out what the actual IV's are as well.

Aquarelle
7th November 2007, 10:48 AM
I breed my Pokemon for good natures and EV train them.

I usually don't care about IVs, except for the time I found out a Milotic of mine had IVs of zero in Special Attack AND Special Defense.

~Aquarelle

Keaton
7th November 2007, 12:13 PM
I breed natures ALWAYS, I EV train and latly i've been intrested in IV's (but i'll only breed 6 of the same nature/ability/gender i need then compare those only) takes too long otherwise >.<

ResidentEcruteak
7th November 2007, 1:31 PM
I always breed natures and egg moves. I usually go and catch some high level wild pokemons with perfect IVs and try to chain breed these IVs to the most important stats

Speeding Bullet
7th November 2007, 7:58 PM
me i usually catch and the level up but other wise i will breed

Luxray_Masta_211
7th November 2007, 9:01 PM
I breed for good Natures. I'm not very good with IVs.
Then I just EV train to the correct level.

neo_senku
7th November 2007, 9:13 PM
i look for the best nature and then i ev train thats about it, i dont have time to be trying to get perfect ivs

Shiny pokemon lover
7th November 2007, 9:20 PM
I do not like IV/EV-training. It just makes the game more like a work than fun. I just use the first pokemon I catch and train that.

Michii
8th November 2007, 12:01 AM
EV/IV/Natures don't really effect me. If I'm bored, or if the pokemon is just one that I want a certain nature, I'll look for the three variables. All other times I just don't really care.

*Jean Grey*
8th November 2007, 1:04 PM
I consider those while training, but they don't mean everything.

Vistress
8th November 2007, 8:38 PM
Natures, egg moves, and mass EV training.
I usually chain, so I always keep sync pokemon to get shiny with the right nature.
I usually don't keep shiny pokemon that don't have the nature I want.
They end up traded or given away.

pikachu20
8th November 2007, 8:47 PM
i dont really care as long as i catch a good pokemon i like and i want on my team i train it. I dont care about the natures n ev stuff at all

markomega
8th November 2007, 10:57 PM
I do EV's and IV's although I'll train and use a poke even tho its IVs aren't amazing. Must have the right nature.

-Summer-
8th November 2007, 11:05 PM
I have been too busy shiny hunting, I havent had the time to EV train yet.

HoagiethePokeBreeder
9th November 2007, 12:29 PM
I pretty much go all out. First I breed for nature, then I breed for IV's. When I breed for IV's, I take five Pokemon with me that I've breed, and start EV training them with Experience shares. The bad IV'd get eliminated. I also EV train of course.

Gilgamesh
9th November 2007, 5:57 PM
I breed for natures, I breeed for IVs, I EV train, etc., etc.

WhiteWizard42
10th November 2007, 7:29 PM
I breed for Natures and IVs and EV train. sometimes the breeding takes a while, though, because of my standards. last few that i bred were:

adamant aerodactyl: 21/31/30/17/29/31
careful snorlax: 21/30/31/9/31/24

etc. etc. I don't bother with Hidden Powers unless the pokemon in question has no other options.

Youkai
12th November 2007, 7:05 PM
I just got some evees and all level 1 im starting from scatch what is the best way to EV train them and what level is best to evolve them at?

sorry188
12th November 2007, 8:32 PM
I also go right down to the specifics of IVs. EV train only after I've gotten satisfactory ivs and nature for the poke I'm going to be using.

Bhen
13th November 2007, 9:06 PM
I rarely go for IV's theres too much to be doing...
But natures and EVs I make sure are just right!
:]

fishyfool
13th November 2007, 9:16 PM
I usually go by the natures. If it's needed, I do some EV training.

IVs are just another way of proclaiming that X is better than Y. I still know that 10s across the board in RSE gave you shinies.

How we fail to use this logic nowadays makes me cry myself to sleep.

sora247
14th November 2007, 4:49 PM
i sometimes (if its a shiny) EV train pokemon like but i sometimes EV train non shiny's like my pupitar(Cruz) and soon to be duskull but i never check IV's.

Sakae
15th November 2007, 4:34 AM
This is what I did for my Ralts:

As we know, Ralts isn't a Pokémon you can just go catch 20 or 30 of. So I breed. I get a Ditto (preferrably Adamant for Gallade) and start breeding. Once I get a female Adamant Ralts (holding an Everstone), I stick it in the Daycare center with another Ralts (or anything else that Ralts can breed with. I used a Koffing) that has the characteristic I want (Likes to thrash about, Mischievous, etc.). And before long I should have an Adamant male Ralts that "likes to thrash about". I don't normally bother checking for exact IVs, though, until it's a decently high level, so I get a more accurate reading.

That's the same thing I do when breeding, except I'd prefer the "Alert to sound" characteristic as it indicate the perfect/31 IV in speed and allows more chance of you striking first. That characteristic's the best in my opinion for fast sweepers.

But go for "Likes to thrash about" and "Mischievous" for moderate speed sweepers. Perhaps " Often dozes off", perfect HP IV, for tankers as a fewer points in def/sdef won't be that significant.

Vistress
15th November 2007, 12:33 PM
I'm currently learning to breed perfect IVs, I still don't have the knack for it.
My other perfectionist personality likes to have master contest ribbons on my pokemon on top of being EV trained and apporpriately 31 IV'd.

rekreatur
16th November 2007, 7:05 PM
I breed until i get a good nature i dont care about ivs.

mawile_lover1993
16th November 2007, 7:35 PM
I don't have the patience to deal with IVs, but I always make sure that the natures are right when I'm breeding.