PDA

View Full Version : Compared Ages

Poke'T<3
26th August 2007, 6:20 PM
This question has been driving me crazy I am soooo tired of gary, paul, and misty and all them calling him kid and stuff i mean arent they all the same age? They act like he's a whimp which gary cant because ash beat him. Gary has gotten over it basically, But how old are they now and i know dawn and may are atleast a year or two younger right?

Drkecho
26th August 2007, 7:15 PM
Dawn is 10 which was set in stone in the first episode of the D/P arc

Ash should be 13-14 but the writers probably reset his age much like his Pokemon

Gary magically turned a lot older than Ash.

Paul is unknown

bobjr
26th August 2007, 7:48 PM
Well Gary got a lot more mature while Ash always acts the same

PsychedelicJellyfish
26th August 2007, 8:01 PM
I know Misty is a year older than Ash and Dawn is ten, but that's as far as my knowledge extends.

Sir Devious
26th August 2007, 9:38 PM
Paul si unknown, he has been to other places, he might be the same age as Ash. Gary is a few months older, I would think, and Misty says that because a lot of the time he is immature.

Mandi.
26th August 2007, 9:48 PM
Ash is 10
Misty is 10
May is 10
Dawn is 10
Brock is anywhere from 15 - 18
Max is 9ish.

The rivals and other characters are unknown.

They call Ash little and stuff because he acts very immature.

Sir Devious
26th August 2007, 9:58 PM
Ash is 10
Misty is 10
May is 10
Dawn is 10
Brock is anywhere from 15 - 18
Max is 9ish.

May is like, 12. Ash was 10 when he started in Kanto and like when the were bac in Veridian they said "ots been a year" since they were here. I think:

Ash is 14
Misty is 15
May is 12
Dawn is 10
Brock is 16 or 17
Max is 7 or 8

Mandi.
26th August 2007, 11:36 PM
The characters don't age. -_-

Gold10
26th August 2007, 11:49 PM

according to the writers

Corzola
27th August 2007, 3:24 AM
The Japansee creators must have the final word, but on the other hand, if the American dubbers state something and the Japanese says it okey it must be concidered canon as well. Therefore the characters ages in some ways, cause the American dubbers have stated time spans such as anniversery days.

The biggest questions must be Ash age, which should be between 13 - 15, with the lower number as most likely, and Garys age. He should be in Ash age but is already a working youth. We know that Misty and Brock are older, and May and Dawn are younger (as well as Max).

And as a sidenote, Ash is not immature today, he was that during the first 4 seasons (until Master Quest, from there he has grown a lot).

Sir Devious
27th August 2007, 6:08 AM

Then why is Oak old?? I mean in the Celebi movie he was just a kid and now he is old. Im sure he is still 9, he is just wearing makeup and died his hair grey.

Mandi.
27th August 2007, 6:34 AM
Then why is Oak old?? I mean in the Celebi movie he was just a kid and now he is old. Im sure he is still 9, he is just wearing makeup and died his hair grey.

Dude. You actually ALMOST made me laugh...wtf. o_o

But seriously...wth are you talking about? Well I didn't watch the Celebi movie. But I'm guessing it was showing a flashback of Oak? They don't age in the actual show. Of course they've aged to the ages they are now...just not anymore.

The fact that the writers say they don't age should be enough to accept that they don't.

Corzola
27th August 2007, 7:01 AM
Then you better watch the Celebi movie. Thats not flashbacks. Ash and the gang travels back in time and meet and hang out with a young Sam - the then in Ash age Prof. Oak.

Mandi.
27th August 2007, 7:20 AM
Then you better watch the Celebi movie. Thats not flashbacks. Ash and the gang travels back in time and meet and hang out with a young Sam - the then in Ash age Prof. Oak.

Well it would be pretty freaking strange if Oak was still the old geezer he is now back 50ish years ago.

Shadow Lucario
27th August 2007, 11:10 PM
If they did age Ash should be around 14-16 because it is guessed that it takes an entire year to travel around each region. Ash has been to six regions including Kanto twice, the Orange Islands, and Sinnoh. So here are my guesses
Ash 14-16
Gary same as Ash
Misty 15-17
Brock 16-18
May 11-12
Max don't care about the brat
Dawn 10

~-Overheat-~
29th August 2007, 12:16 PM
Ash is 13-14Misty is 14-15
May is 12??
Dawn is 10
Brock is anywhere from 17
Max is 8ish.

Changes in Bold Those were the ages when they started....

Misty punk
26th September 2007, 7:18 PM
May is like, 12. Ash was 10 when he started in Kanto and like when the were bac in Veridian they said "ots been a year" since they were here. I think:

Ash is 14
Misty is 15
May is 12
Dawn is 10
Brock is 16 or 17
Max is 7 or 8

I agree with the ages given here.

Corzola
26th September 2007, 9:51 PM
Most of those can be right, however not Max. He seems closer to 9 - 10 than 7-8. We have had a lot of children in the series and those use to be around 7/8 and every one of them looks and acts as they are younger than Max.

cryotem
27th September 2007, 12:17 AM
Ash: 14
Misty:15-16
May:12
Max:8-9
Brock:17-20
Dawn:10, turning 11

lucario36
27th September 2007, 1:44 PM
does it matter how old they are??
Anyway i think Ash is permanently stuck at the same age he started cuz its a kids show aimed at kids and for kids so hes a kid...k? :)

kronos
27th September 2007, 2:10 PM
When Ash started in Kanto, I think the year was 1996 or 1998 so now he should at least be 18.
It's almost like they've got eternal youth. lol.

~-Overheat-~
27th September 2007, 4:58 PM

lololol sig worthy

Ash-13.5
Misty-14.5
Brock-16
Gary-14
Paul-13.5
Dawn-10
May*12
Max-8.5
Jessie-19
James-18
Meowth-Unknown
Oak-Around 60
Tracey-15

Corzola
27th September 2007, 5:58 PM
Jesse and James cant be that young. Even if they are two of the youngest adults in the series they must be in their early twenties. I think the difference between Brock (the oldest of the "kids") and Jesse & James are around 5 - 7 years.

gameboy
4th October 2007, 1:17 AM
I belive each journey is 2 years, so Ash should be about 16 or 17-ish, and Gary is the same. Misty's about the same, and Brock and Tracy should be about 20-22, and Jessie and James (and Meowth) should be about 30-ish..maybe 27 or so? Dawn 10, May's about 13 or 12... and Max is 10, we know that. As for other rivals, Pauls about 14 or 15 (No other people to drag him down throughout his journey) Zoey would be 13 or so. As for mays rivals, Drew might be 13 or 14? Harley and Soledad should be about 18 or so.

:)

Corzola
4th October 2007, 7:59 AM
How can Ash be in his late teens? He is still portaited as a young boy, in his earily teens (12,5 - 14,5). And Brock and definitly Tracy canīt be 20+. Concider the length of the seasons but also what actually happens. They did as much in 3 seasons (3 Jotho & 3Advance) as they did in one season (1 year Indigo and two short journeys in OI and Kanto- BF). OI and BF is definitly very short comparing to the others.

~-Overheat-~
7th October 2007, 1:34 PM
Ash is at the most 14 years old, not more than that

sdp
9th October 2007, 7:29 PM
In real life people calling someone a "kid" is not unusual even if they're in their teens or even early 20s especially by older people.

odd sponge out
12th October 2007, 5:23 AM
Time progresses, look at Max: Max was a little boy who is significantly shorter than his sister and than Ash. He seems about eight years old. But when everyone seperates, he's about to go and start his journey. So two years probably passed. . . Maybe a year passes for every region?

AGE ESTIMATE TIME BASED ON MY THEORY. . . (as of Sinnoh times)
Ash: 15 (hard to believe man. the only reason he went through puberty was because HIS VOICE ACTOR CHANGED)
Gary: also 15?
Misty: 15-17 (. . . no)
Brock: . . . . 20?!
Tracy: 19?
Jessie & James (I assume they're similar): 25?
May: 12
Max: 10
Drew: 13
Harley: 20-something. . .
Dawn: 10. Obvious, I know.
Zoey: probably also 10. . .
Paul: Probably Ash's age, 15ish

I try a logical approach but nothing fits! Conclusion? THEY DON'T AGE. Pokemon-world is NEVER LAND. O: If they were to age, they probably would grow in height. . .

squirtwig16
12th October 2007, 7:27 AM
1) In the 1st time through Kanto, he said it was a year when he got back to Viridian City.

2)In the 3rd Movie he said it was two years since he started his journey.

3)After he got the 8th Johto badge I think he said it was three years since he started.

4)At the end of Hoenn May said they had been traveling together for a few months.

5)BF was only a few months.

So my guesses are:

Ash: 13-15
Brock: 17-19
Misty: 15-16
May: 11 going on 12
Dawn: 10
Max: Frankly, I dont give a S***!

squirtwig16
12th October 2007, 7:29 AM
1) In the 1st time through Kanto, he said it was a year when he got back to Viridian City.

2)In the 3rd Movie he said it was two years since he started his journey.

3)After he got the 8th Johto badge I think he said it was three years since he started.

4)At the end of Hoenn May said they had been traveling together for a few months.

5)BF was only a few months.

So my guesses are:

Ash: 13-15
Brock: 17-19
Misty: 15-16
May: 11 going on 12
Max: Frankly, I dont give a S***!

Corzola
12th October 2007, 10:22 AM
Zoey, Dawn and Kenny make up the new youth team in other words, but I have always pictured Zoey to be a little older than Dawn (like 7 - 11 months older) and not just 1 - 3 months.

Hoen is the series that confuses everyone, because they canīt have traveld for 2,5 long years, because Ash canīt be 15. If we put Ash at minimum 13 in s6 he can at the most be 14,5 in the end of BF. Another thing is that we donīt know how long it is before Max will be a trainer after BF, it could technically be all from 1/2 year - 1,5 years. But did May actually say "just a few months" after Hoen, must check into that.

rubyandsapphire
14th October 2007, 12:18 PM
These are my guess:
Ash:13-15
Brock:18-20
Max:6-10
May:11-13
Drew:11-13
James:20-28
Jessie:20-28
Misty:14-17
Dawn:10(may be confirm as a 10 years old kid can get a starter pokemon)
That my guess!!! According to how long they travel,their voice exemple Ash's voice has changed.

blob
14th October 2007, 10:24 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Ash is 15. I turned 15 sometime in Sinnoh.
Brock is 5 years older than Ash, so that makes him 20.

They all age a year in each reigon. Here is how Ash ages; Kanto 10/11, Orange 11, Johto, 12, Hoenn 13, BF 14, and Sinnoh 15.

Cobalt_Latios
15th October 2007, 3:19 AM
Other way around buddy. Sam traveled to the future. At the end he went to his own time.

Ash is 14
Misty is 15
May is 12
Dawn is 10
Brock is 16 or 17
Max is 7 or 8
Now, if we went by real life(as in, the time the show has been on the air), we would results like such:

Ash=20
Misty=20
May=14
Dawn=10
Brock=26(Assuming he was 16 in the first season)
Max=14

I repeat, that's if: THEIR AGES WENT BY OUR AGING.

That's correct, instead they mature. At least some of them do. Ash is a character who is rather difficult to understand, personality wise.

Like I said before, that's "present" Oak as in the one in Ash's time. Sammy is Oak from the past. Yes, I know time travel is a somewhat difficult concept to grasp, but they make it somewhat clear.

To get to the main post of this thread, they call Ash a kid simply because of how he acts. Of course, he has changed, but to some he's still has a lot to learn. That and he also looks somewhat like one.

Now, I have seen a quite a few threads about this general topic(how old the characters are), and the best answer that I can give you is this: it's a kids show, therefore the characters remain the same age they have always been. They may not look any different(except for a different wardrobe), but they clearly have had a personality improvement(even if it is incredibly slight).

Then again, since "most" teens happen to act pretty dumb anyways, it wouldn't necessarily be that hard to believe Ash is about 14-15. And seeing as he still has lots to learn, it would fit quite nicely too.

^ great, I think I might of just contradicted myself.

~C_L~

MimbleWimble
15th October 2007, 4:58 PM
Ages as of the first time they were introduced (as told on various official sites):

Ash: 10
Misty: 11
Brock: 16
May: 10
Max: 8
Jessie: 18
James: 18

Now if Pokemon followed the rules of the real world, by now, AT LEAST four or five years have passed (definitely more).

Corzola
15th October 2007, 5:30 PM
Oh, looked at my post and yes I did messed up which way they travelld.

blob: BF was clearly not a year.

The thing is, IF they donīt age at all Ash would be stuck in time (forever a 10 - 12 year old) while characters like Dawn, May and Max move forwad. Because they clearly show that some people get older (pre-Hoen and pre Sinnoh May and Dawn would be little kids in the Kanto years) and come of age (get old enough to train Pokemon) they donīt do like The Simpsons etc. and keep ALL characters in the same age (and only have flashbacks from peoples past). In Pokemon people do grew older in some ways.

So my final guess is that they do get older but not let Ash and the other kids get older than a certain age (let say 18, Brock can still be younger than 18).

That is one easy way to show how old people are: let Max return with a Pokeon as a first year trainer. Then we KNOW that people clearly get older. And even if he donīt return, Ash canīt be a 10-12 year old child any more.

One way to see that they are older are: look at the younger gym leaders from Kanto all the way to BF (Both Rorak and Gardenia is clearly adults so Sinnoh donīt counts) and compare them to Ash. He is way younger than all the leaders in Kanto (even the younger ones). In Jotho he is clearly younger than that guy who had flying Pokemon at his gym BUT not a child anymore, and then in BF he is almost as old as Anabel (maybe just a 1 year difference). So while he meets gym leaders in their mid - late teens he is first seen as a child and now he is almost as old.