PDA

View Full Version : Black characters?

Brain_Damaged Rob
26th August 2007, 9:00 PM
Have there been any black characters in the anime? Can't recall ever seeing any. Well, except for Jynx of course. Anyone know?

mystkmastkal
26th August 2007, 9:03 PM
please remove this i hate racist post

Alfonso
26th August 2007, 9:04 PM
Have there been any black characters in the anime? Can't recall ever seeing any. Well, except for Jynx of course. Anyone know?

Indeed, not sure of his dub name, but 'Jump' (The guy with the Electabuzz in the Houen League) was black. Incredibly stereotypical actually verging on racist. Basketball ghetto style gear, massive lips... ;(

To the above poster, this thread isn't racist, and if anything it actually brings up a point in regards to Pokemon and other anime: The exclusion of black characters.

Brain_Damaged Rob
26th August 2007, 9:10 PM
Thanks, Alfonso.

And mystmastkal, I'm afraid you misunderstood me, this certainly wasn't intended as a racist thread.

Pokefunguy
26th August 2007, 9:13 PM
I have never seen a black person in Pokemon or any other anime for that matter. I haven't seen the episode Alfonso was talking about though.
;104;

Ancax
26th August 2007, 9:14 PM
I'm still baffled as to what Brock is. And Ash/Paul are a little darker than Dawn/May, so Id dunno :/

TeddiUrsa
26th August 2007, 9:24 PM
massive lips... ;(

I simply don´t get why "big lips" are racist. Many people have big lips, and many black people have bigger lips as well. When I was in Africa I saw many paintings of black people with big lips, so..what´s the problem to afro-american people? ^^; It is not like EVERY black person has bigger lips, of course.
I don´t get what´s so offending about it.

Anyway, it would be nice to see people in the anime who aren´t japanese. A sterotypical german pokemon trainer with a miltank and a Pidgeot using random german, anyone?

Sir Devious
26th August 2007, 9:29 PM
I thought Brock was until he did that Mexican dance thing, "La la la this is my paradise..." or something.

Prio
26th August 2007, 9:35 PM
Brock is black.

Alfonso
26th August 2007, 9:37 PM
Brock is black.

No he's not, he's either incredibly tanned or Asian.

Prio
26th August 2007, 9:40 PM

Well you rule out tanned seeing as his siblings have the same skin tone.

Sir Devious
26th August 2007, 9:40 PM

He is a Mexican I swear! Anyone remember how he would dance with his maracas [sp?] and Ludicolo singing "La la la this is my Paradise, oh um oh yeah oh!"

Deoxys911
26th August 2007, 9:42 PM
Brock is black.

I presume you work for the Pokémon Company of Japan. Am I right?

Alfonso
26th August 2007, 9:45 PM
Well you rule out tanned seeing as his siblings have the same skin tone.

http://imageboard.pocketmonsters.net/Takeshi/src/118729105695.jpg

A large amount of them there look quite pale to me, the mix is probably to do with the fact that Lola and Flint have different skin complexions/nationalities. Either that or Lola's been playing away at some point.

Also game Brock, in both R/B/Y and FR/LG manuals, is white/pale in the Sugimori art.

Sir Devious
26th August 2007, 9:54 PM

A large amount of them there look quite pale to me, the mix is probably to do with the fact that Lola and Flint have different skin complexions/nationalities. Either that or Lola's been playing away at some point.

Also game Brock, in both R/B/Y and FR/LG manuals, is white/pale in the Sugimori art.

Ill say this ONE more time: Mex-i-can!

n@nd0
26th August 2007, 9:59 PM
Maybe they wanted to put some but they would wanted to avoid the rascism theme since the Jynx problem

Pearl's Perap
26th August 2007, 10:00 PM
I simply don´t get why "big lips" are racist. Many people have big lips, and many black people have bigger lips as well. When I was in Africa I saw many paintings of black people with big lips, so..what´s the problem to afro-american people? ^^; It is not like EVERY black person has bigger lips, of course.
I don´t get what´s so offending about it.

That's racial stereotyping for you...

As for the comments about Brock, he isn't black, as has been suggested, we know he's got to have some Mexican blood in him, what with Takeshi no Paradise and what not...

Brain_Damaged Rob
26th August 2007, 10:02 PM
Hmm, I always assumed Brock was asian because of his eyes...

Supergamer229
26th August 2007, 10:03 PM
brock is asian and i hav seen little-no black people in animae

johnnyd2
26th August 2007, 10:55 PM
i know it doesnt matter, but wasnt someone from the learning league thing black? i swore there was, it was in the pokemon fan magazine featuring manaphy.

halloweenghost
26th August 2007, 10:56 PM
Brock is really a dark skinned Asian..

TeddiUrsa
26th August 2007, 10:58 PM
That's racial stereotyping for you...

No it isn´t. Drawing ONE black guy with big lips =/= all black people having big lips.

People in the USA are just very sensitive because of their history, I guess.

brock is by no means a mexican. He has a japanese name, speaks fluent japanese like his parents, seems to be born in japan ( as NOTHING points that he was born in mexico) and isn´t tanned in the official art.
Wearing mexican dresses from time to time makes you mexican how?

zeno48
26th August 2007, 11:54 PM
I dont think there has been a real black person in pokemon. I never understood why but since it's for japanese kids they decided that white is the way to go. Brock and his family, including the mexican salesman is the only race I've seen that the writers have allowed.

Mercutio
27th August 2007, 12:39 AM
To be fair, its anime, and as anime goes, black people aren't as common as they are in say America. Obviously they exist, but generally when you think anime you think of a white person.

Phantom_Bugsy
27th August 2007, 12:49 AM
*shrug* eh. Jump is the only one who's actually black D:

I just wanna see a Frenchboy. With a Giratina.

Fetchstorm_82
27th August 2007, 12:50 AM
No offense, but what does it matter? He's just Brock, accept him for who he is, not what he is or where he is from.

Xashlei
27th August 2007, 1:23 AM
I don't believe I've seen any. Excluding the black has been on a while now.

Jynx magically turns purple faced. PERFECT... *sarcasm*

Corzola
27th August 2007, 3:33 AM
About the question about black characters in anime, maybe Japan has less black people (immigrants, adopted, second->third generations immigrants and so on) than US and Europe, therfore they are not present in shows in the same number as they [black people] are in American or European shows.

Black people have been parts of US for ages (since the time of the slavery, the Colonisation and the American Civil War) and parts of Europe since the mid 1900´s. Maybe black people is not so usual in Japan. If thats so, it affect the low number of black people in media.

Remember "Friends", they only had ONE black half-major character during a 10 year span. Thats even more strange than the non-black people in anime.

Crystal Clair
27th August 2007, 6:00 AM
About the question about black characters in anime, maybe Japan has less black people (immigrants, adopted, second->third generations immigrants and so on) than US and Europe, therfore they are not present in shows in the same number as they [black people] are in American or European shows.

Japan is actually a very homogenous country, as I've heard many times from very educated posters at both these forums and at Bulbagarden.

I've heard that Jump (from the Houen Pokemon League, he had the Electabuzz) also resembled a Jamaican. But I dunno, as Jamaicans also can be considered black.

Oh yeah, just for reference, the black Pokemon character in the Pokemon Learning League is Ciera (her name is tricky to spell though)

Blackjack Gabbiani
27th August 2007, 6:37 AM
Jump may have had the lips, but he was pretty darn pale for a "black" person. He was paler than Brock, if I recall.

There was a black Rocket in MR, near the beginning.

Kazuki Mirai
27th August 2007, 12:02 PM
I always see Brock as Latino or Asian, even a Filipino.

Jump... I thought he's just one of those usual anime characters with "lizard lips" designs.

Bah, African Americans are probably difficult for them to draw. Especially in a Pokemon anime.

Geostomp
27th August 2007, 6:15 PM
I dont think there has been a real black person in pokemon. I never understood why but since it's for japanese kids they decided that white is the way to go. Brock and his family, including the mexican salesman is the only race I've seen that the writers have allowed.

They aren't designed to be white, they're designed to be Japanese.

They appear white to those of us that are from prodominately white nations because they are painted to be the "default" race in the country.

In Japan, the "default" race is Japanese so that's what they'll see in their characters.

Characters who are not Japanese in anime are normally designed to look quite different than the normal cast which normally entails quite a few things we would precieve as stereotyping in countries that have a large sampling of different people (all americans are white, tall blondes with obnoxious attitudes; all black people have massive lips and/or afros; ect) than the over 90% homogeneous Japan.

Amaranth
27th August 2007, 6:36 PM
I Really Don't See Any Of The Cast As A Race There From A Made Up World So Yeah ;/

While Brock Is The Most Asian Looking Character There's Never Been Anyone From Africa Ever, Now Is That Because Of The Low Numbers Of 'Black People' In Japan Or Just Because They Wanted Japanese Looking Characters?

Plus I've Even Heard People Say Mistys Irish And Theres Got To Be Very Few Irish People In Japan...

x_x Yeah...

Ridley-X4
27th August 2007, 6:57 PM
There's nearly no black people in anime because Japan never had a part in the slave trade. Slaves were brought to America from Africa. Slaves have kids. Centuries later, you have the modern black person in America. Japan had nothing to do with it; they didn't buy nor sell slaves.

mrdurp4
27th August 2007, 7:14 PM
comeon the japs still call nero (italian for black) people, people of choclate... they probly never seen one. aslo this is kids tv

Leona
27th August 2007, 8:38 PM
lmao i've always wanted this question to be asked. Thanks for starting this thread up :p

Korobooshi Kojiro
27th August 2007, 9:07 PM
Jump seemed to be a black-face minus the skin color. The animators came offly close though, and it looked like he was intended to be like Jamaican Rawsta without actually offending people.

TeddiUrsa
28th August 2007, 2:43 PM
Jump seemed to be a black-face minus the skin color. The animators came offly close though, and it looked like he was intended to be like Jamaican Rawsta without actually offending people.

He reminded me more of Usopp to be honest ^^;
The nose was missing but everything else fitted :p

Ross973
28th August 2007, 5:48 PM
Characters who are not Japanese in anime are normally designed to look quite different than the normal cast which normally entails quite a few things we would precieve as stereotyping in countries that have a large sampling of different people (all americans are white, tall blondes with obnoxious attitudes; all black people have massive lips and/or afros; ect) than the over 90% homogeneous Japan.[/QUOTE]

Not all black people have large lips. I have Seen many black people that had quite thin lips. I'm black I have larger lips than most of my friends, but my lips aren't noticeably large. I honestly take what you said as a racist insult. I also have an afro but it isn't very large, it is actually very small for an afro. It is quite true that most Americans are white blonds with obnoxious attitudes. Most of my friends are kind of obnoxious, but their are not really too obnoxious. Their really funny though.

Gold10
28th August 2007, 6:00 PM
Maybe Brock is just an Asian who has a liking for Mexican culture lol

Joe
28th August 2007, 6:06 PM

Either that or Lola's been playing away at some point.
I really doubt that considering all the kids look like Flint. :P Unless she's like Lucy and has a squinty eye fetish.

Gold10
28th August 2007, 6:09 PM
Why isn't there more racial diversity in the world of Pokemon? Brock and his family do not count.

Rex Kamex
28th August 2007, 10:04 PM
I did see a black/dark-skinned person in the Pokemon Learning League thing that johnnyd2 mentioned. (I think it came with my Diamond game.) Buuuut I think Americans drew it.

Maybe they wanted to put some but they would wanted to avoid the rascism theme since the Jynx problem

It's not like they'd have to make black characters so stereotypical-looking. (So Jynx-like.)

Blackjack Gabbiani
29th August 2007, 7:48 AM
Why isn't there more racial diversity in the world of Pokemon? Brock and his family do not count.

Because it takes place in a part of the world based (mainly) on Japan, and Japan has very little racial or cultural diversity. And what minorities do exist there are treated very badly.

DyoRoNeX
29th August 2007, 8:07 AM
But other animes do have SOME racial diversity... (Bleach comes to mind with the black and mexican)

~-Overheat-~
29th August 2007, 10:25 AM
This has been explained in the older thread.....only ONE percent of Japanese people are Black.......

The carter
7th September 2007, 1:24 AM
I Really Don't See Any Of The Cast As A Race There From A Made Up World So Yeah ;/

While Brock Is The Most Asian Looking Character There's Never Been Anyone From Africa Ever, Now Is That Because Of The Low Numbers Of 'Black People' In Japan Or Just Because They Wanted Japanese Looking Characters?

Plus I've Even Heard People Say Mistys Irish And Theres Got To Be Very Few Irish People In Japan...

x_x Yeah...

well if that is the case why isnt ash and co all slant eyed and I dont mean the brock way slant eyed ,I mean japanese slant eyed. Most anime characters all have these big eyes.......japanese dont have those,so they are certainly not resemblingthemselves. Ash looks like your typical american white -kid he doesnt look japanese at all.

So the reson for no blacks in the pokemon anime is different , japanese are a pretty racist kind of people and that's why they are not liked by other Asian countries. Even other Asians dont like them and they dont likeothers asians ,let alone black people of wich they probably never ever saw 1 in real life.

So thats the reason right there

~-Overheat-~
7th September 2007, 7:14 AM
Brock is the only one that looks a little Japanese...

Ash is a typical American nuff said

zeno48
7th September 2007, 10:08 PM
This has been explained in the older thread.....only ONE percent of Japanese people are Black.......

Can you please provide a link? Anyway why can't they show other races? I don't understand the harm in it but hey it's pokemon.

Tyranitar Jnr
7th September 2007, 10:12 PM
i swear in naruto zabuza is black

Gold10
8th September 2007, 3:23 PM
i guess in anime, japanese people think of themselves as white....pssh...they're far from it.

Korobooshi Kojiro
8th September 2007, 3:29 PM
i swear in naruto zabuza is black

No, are you blind?

Kenpachi
8th September 2007, 4:39 PM
i swear in naruto zabuza is blackGet some glasses, Dosu and Kidoumaru look more black.

Because it takes place in a part of the world based (mainly) on Japan, and Japan has very little racial or cultural diversity. And what minorities do exist there are treated very badly.
I don't understand why Japanese people draw blacks all the same way. (Making us look hideous)
Japan is not a diverse country, if they wanna be ignorant and draw all blacks as truly black skinned people with huge lips than that’s their problem. So than why do they never have an anime where everyone has Brock’s eyes, Ash’s/Misty’s head shape, and black hair?
(Because than it would be the truth, but that truth is boring.)
That’s why they draw them looking so beautiful and different, but that only goes one way.

Gravy
8th September 2007, 5:26 PM
I don't understand why Japanese people draw blacks all the same way. (Making us look hideous)
Japan is not a diverse country, if they wanna be ignorant and draw all blacks as truly black skinned people with huge lips than that’s their problem.
Yes, because we all know how every single piece of japanese animation and every manga produced always uses that one streotype when drawing black people.

TeddiUrsa
8th September 2007, 5:46 PM

So than why do they never have an anime where everyone has Brock’s eyes, Ash’s/Misty’s head shape, and black hair?

Heh, talking about being a hypocrite.

You are offended because all anies portray black people the same "offending way", yet you say that all japanese in animes should look the same (slit eyed,black haired) because they look like that?

I have to say it again: Even black people drew themselves sometimes like that and NOBODY says that ALL black people have big lips. It is just an anime!

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th September 2007, 3:28 PM
I've noticed "big lips" seem to be a stereotype of fat people alot more lately now. Or dudes with braids (Usopp, Yasopp)

See Dex from Megaman Battle Network for instance.

Yeah, but I like how in these threads no one brings up any Looney Tunes. Or Tom and Jerry. Or the lack of black people in most old American shows.

Maxim
9th September 2007, 4:13 PM
I'm sick of this n00bish talk.

It's Japanese cartoon, if you want to see black character then watch something American.

In Japan there is no racial diversity, so anime don't include any "different-skinned characters". Pokemon characters are like all anime characters.

If you want to see a black character in Pokemon, then play English version of Pokemon Battle Revolution. They changed some trainers' skin there, which is annoying (it's good that they added the possiblity to change HERO's skin, black people are sure grateful, but changing the skin of innocent NPCs is a total bullcrap to me). Rapla (Rosie) didn't look bad (although I preferred her white) but the Ribbon (Sashay) looks terrible in black skin.

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th September 2007, 4:41 PM
The PBR characters are personality-less altered models (bar that final boss) so it's not that big of a deal as say, making Lt. Surge black.

And actually Anime are starting to include some "normal" black people now...somewhat. Yugioh GX got O'brien, and while he may have somewhat bigger lips he doesn't seem to be there for mere comic affect. Sonic X had some painfully dull black characters also who looked totally safe and non-stereotyping, probably because I think Sonic is suppose to live in "America", thus why all the characters had English names.

But alot of Anime take place in Japan, (such as Reborn!, Keroro Gunsou, Yugioh) and Pokemon definately seems to be slightly represenative of Japan (with some towns based off other areas, mostly in movies) which is why you usually don't see much black characters unless foreigners are involved...which makes sense, as there really aren't alot of Japanese blacks.

The carter
9th September 2007, 7:06 PM
Get some glasses, Dosu and Kidoumaru look more black.

Japan is not a diverse country, if they wanna be ignorant and draw all blacks as truly black skinned people with huge lips than that’s their problem. So than why do they never have an anime where everyone has Brock’s eyes, Ash’s/Misty’s head shape, and black hair?
That’s why they draw them looking so beautiful and different, but that only goes one way.

They do it because they are racist pieces of s-h-i-t ,the whole of Asia already knows and know were getting to know it. You are right ,they should draw everybody with short hair and ofcourse not bigger the 4 ft and wit hthose slant eyes ,but they dotn do that. In fact if you notice ,only black peopel are the ones being reffered to all the tiem by their racial feature (color). But everytiem you mention an asian or japanese feature ,like being very short and have slit eyes and being yellow then all these white people get offended like the stupid fool I qoute down here .

Heh, talking about being a hypocrite.

You are offended because all anies portray black people the same "offending way", yet you say that all japanese in animes should look the same (slit eyed,black haired) because they look like that?

I have to say it again: Even black people drew themselves sometimes like that and NOBODY says that ALL black people have big lips. It is just an anime!

Look you idiot ,black people never drew themselves wit hbig red lips and being black as the night ,you dumb racist f-u-c-k. Look at egyptian hieroclyps ,thats the way black people drew themselves. alot of japanese peopel have slit eyes thats just a fact ,have is that offensive, he is just sayign that if the ydraw black people all the same way ,why do they dont draw themselves the same way??? They never do and that is just hypocrite as ****. Black peopel dont have big lips ,they have normal lips. white people most of the time dont even have lips and when they do ,they get famous for it (angelina jolie).

so stop your stupid racist slur ,japanese portray black people in a horrible way in their animes ,thats just a fact. If a black guy made cartoon wit hall slant eye short japanese people obsessed with hentai pron and yet ,japanese people would be offended to 9even tho that portrayel is way more accurate then how the portray other races).

Japanese people just need to draw themselves in animes like they are and stfu about other races. They hate themselves thats why so many their have operations to open op their closed eyes. It's their selfhate that makes them portray themselves as white peopel in games and their anime and what makes them turn on another race who is happy with how they are!

Yes, because we all know how every single piece of japanese animation and every manga produced always uses that one streotype when drawing black people.

yes they do ,stupid..............

Ugobama
9th September 2007, 7:16 PM
Mr. Black from DBZ

A digidestined from Americ on Digimon season 2

Jump from Pokemon

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th September 2007, 8:48 PM
Um...so...did anyone understand what the carter was talking about? Anyone?

Mr. Black from DBZ
He DID have the stereotyped look though.

A digidestined from Americ on Digimon season 2
Now he was perfectly "normal" looking.

TeddiUrsa
9th September 2007, 8:54 PM
Look you idiot ,black people never drew themselves wit hbig red lips and being black as the night ,you dumb racist f-u-c-k. Look at egyptian hieroclyps ,thats the way black people drew themselves. alot of japanese peopel have slit eyes thats just a fact ,have is that offensive, he is just sayign that if the ydraw black people all the same way ,why do they dont draw themselves the same way??? They never do and that is just hypocrite as ****. Black peopel dont have big lips ,they have normal lips. white people most of the time dont even have lips and when they do ,they get famous for it (angelina jolie).

so stop your stupid racist slur ,japanese portray black people in a horrible way in their animes ,thats just a fact. If a black guy made cartoon wit hall slant eye short japanese people obsessed with hentai pron and yet ,japanese people would be offended to 9even tho that portrayel is way more accurate then how the portray other races).

Japanese people just need to draw themselves in animes like they are and stfu about other races. They hate themselves thats why so many their have operations to open op their closed eyes. It's their selfhate that makes them portray themselves as white peopel in games and their anime and what makes them turn on another race who is happy with how they are!

Woah! Hold your horses ,young friend. Having a bad day? O.o
Your post was much more racist than mine was ( I don´t get why mine is racist at all...).

Maybe my post was misleading, or my grammar was as error-filled as ever ( if you haven´t noticed already, english isn´t my first language), ALL I said is that he is a hypocrite for denying one stereotype (the one aboput black people) but supporting another one ( the slit-eye,black hair asian stereotype).

Anyway, I got several paintings when I was in africa, done by people who live there and many pictures featured black people with bigger lips. And I still don´t get what´s SO wrong with it. NOBODY says that ALL black people have big lips, everybody can have them. It not ugly or disgusting or anything either.

Maybe you should stop throwing insults and stereotype-asian-hate around you...

Mr.Black from DB.

He DID have the stereotyped look though.

Well, Toriyama´s human designs are very limited anyway. They all look the same. Even I thought that all his black characters looked very stereotypical. Talking about mr. popo, "popo" is "butt" in german...coincidence?

Gravy
9th September 2007, 10:09 PM
yes they do ,stupid..............
Look, I'm really not going to get into an argument with some random guy who clearly has a bee up his *** and who obviously hasn't got the faintest idea what he's talking about, so I suggest you at least try searching the big ol' internet for this sort of thing before you start mouthing off and calling me stupid. A little common sense wouldn't go amiss either, for future reference.