PDA

View Full Version : are you afraid to watch episode 38?

veteran_PKMN_master_999
28th August 2007, 9:04 AM
well just bored and wanting a discussion on the banned polygon episode, episode 38 that caused over 600 japanese children seizures when it was first aired. I did watch the episode a number of times on full screen on my comp. on my flat panel monitor and i never had a seizure...so who has seen it and what are your thoughts?

Power of Fire
28th August 2007, 9:12 AM
this thread is kinda pointless and ah...... no i've seen it before it didn't even hurt.

oh wait...

veteran_PKMN_master_999
28th August 2007, 9:16 AM
i felt spacey afterward once when i watched it...

Drkecho
28th August 2007, 9:17 AM
Whenever I watch it I get hungry for some reason....

veteran_PKMN_master_999
28th August 2007, 9:17 AM

lmao...really?

MonopolyMoneyBag
28th August 2007, 9:28 AM
Nope, I've watched it before and I'm not afraid to watch it.

veteran_PKMN_master_999
28th August 2007, 9:30 AM
a freind of mine refused to watch it...

Munchy.42
28th August 2007, 9:41 AM
All that episode made me do is like Porygon more. And actually I got hungry from watching it.

Venusaur Master
28th August 2007, 9:45 AM
i wouldnt watch it its to risky

Pete the Unstoppable
28th August 2007, 9:51 AM
i seen it on YouTube, made it full screen size, put my face up to the screen and repeated the scene 10 times in a row, not even a headache

FlyingTotodile
28th August 2007, 9:55 AM
it's all to do with whther these kinda things bother u or not and in my case not, still if i ever watch it, i'll do it with someone else in the house just in case :D

veteran_PKMN_master_999
28th August 2007, 9:56 AM
why did it make people hungry? O_o

sceptilianmaster
28th August 2007, 10:19 AM
The episode was okay, though I just felt slight discomfort watching it. I've seen worse stuff that could give you seizures, though.

Ch0c0late Av3ng3r
28th August 2007, 10:22 AM
I've watched it on YouTube, not the whole episode just the seizure-giving clip, and nothing happened to me.

ellis10
28th August 2007, 10:53 AM
yeah i do aswel i watch the episode ten times in a row so it might just b the pc:confused:::club:

tyranitar.armaldo
28th August 2007, 11:04 AM
Sizure? What sizure? I watched it and didnt feel a thing.

King Of Steel
28th August 2007, 11:44 AM
I watched it, I felt fine though.

Leon
28th August 2007, 11:48 AM
Nothing. Ive watched teh Seizure scene plenty of times, and never even had a slight headache...

Torkoal Stu
28th August 2007, 12:02 PM
Because a computer is different to the original TV airing. Qualities differ, plus all versions of it are gonna be LQ especially on Youtube of all places. Since it only aired once there aren't any HQ versions to watch (plus you can't watch it on a TV which is gonna be different to a computer).

So you can't really compare.

Ross973
28th August 2007, 5:53 PM
What happens in the episode? Is there blood and guts or something?

Gold10
28th August 2007, 6:03 PM
I watched it for one entire day repeating the episode over and over, and I didn't get a headache.....I wonder what's so wrong

G_S2k
28th August 2007, 6:06 PM
Im not afraid to watch it - but i have only seen parts of it.

Ross973
28th August 2007, 6:14 PM
Really, can someone tell me what happens in this episode?

Gold10
28th August 2007, 6:17 PM
Really, can someone tell me what happens in this episode?

something involving Porygon

Rex Kamex
28th August 2007, 9:57 PM
Couldn't this have been in the thread about the actual episode?

Blood and guts don't give people seizures. That much. Or whatever. Never mind.

Anyway, Ash and the gang get inside a computer, and... you know what, let me just take the lazier way out. O_O

This (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denn%C5%8D_Senshi_Porygon) will help ya'. It even has pictures.

Typo
28th August 2007, 10:01 PM

NO, it was banned because there were red flashing lights when Pikachu's t-bolt hit Some missles, and 800+ Japanese Kids got Sezirures.

Mello
29th August 2007, 9:23 AM
I watched a version of it where that scene had been slowed. It was fine for me, but had it been faster, I guess it would have harmed people, which it did.

~-Overheat-~
29th August 2007, 10:23 AM

No....or else that would have been AWESOME!!!!

I watched it about a 100 times on youtube big screen with lights off close to the screen....the red and blue and nothing happened.........The episode looks cool....those technology stuff and..........

Missingno.Fan
30th August 2007, 2:38 AM
I wasn't scared and didn't bother me at all. Then again I just looked out of the corner of my eye at the siezure part.

Anaya
30th August 2007, 2:41 AM
Nope I've never seen it. And I don't ever plan to soon either.

TeddiUrsa
30th August 2007, 4:36 AM
A good friend of mine died while watching the episode....*sob*luckily I cloned him by using the emerald glitch.

zeno48
30th August 2007, 5:10 AM
No I am not afraid to watch it. I don't plan on seeing it though.

R3b3lSarge
31st August 2007, 7:15 PM
i saw the episode. for some reason i had to go to the bathroom after that scene

~-Overheat-~
31st August 2007, 7:26 PM
A good friend of mine died while watching the episode....*sob*luckily I cloned him by using the emerald glitch.

DIED???.....

Jokes on me eh??? I watched in lights off full screen colose to the screen nothin happened so u cant fool me

Leona
2nd September 2007, 12:09 PM
why the hell would anyone be afraid? ;-/

veteran_PKMN_master_999
3rd September 2007, 10:54 AM
why the hell would anyone be afraid? ;-/

for
fear of having a seizure...

veteran_PKMN_master_999
3rd September 2007, 10:57 AM
i never had a seizure from watching it though

Gravy
3rd September 2007, 11:39 AM
Considering you're all watching this on a computer screen, you're not going to get a seizure, even if you went to the effort of literally gluing your god-forsaken ocular organs to the monitor.

You cheating b@stard! I bet you've got a whole box of TeddiUrsas too!

Shiny qwilfish of doom
3rd September 2007, 12:06 PM
watched it on youtube did all the stuff and nothing happened.

PokeAbb
3rd September 2007, 5:52 PM
Ive seen the part before. I dont get seizures, so its ok to watch it. Although, that doesnt mean I like to =P

veteran_PKMN_master_999
5th September 2007, 10:49 AM
Considering you're all watching this on a computer screen, you're not going to get a seizure, even if you went to the effort of literally gluing your god-forsaken ocular organs to the monitor.

You cheating b@stard! I bet you've got a whole box of TeddiUrsas too!

it being a computer screen or television matters not, those flashing lights and fast patterns are what trigger seizures, the reason it doesnt happen all the time is because out of all the thousands and thousands of japanese kids watching it a mere 800 had seizures...that really is the same chance of any normal person getting one from watching or any kind of video game even with flashing fast patterns.

suicune_dancer
5th September 2007, 11:05 AM
I watched it and I didn't get a seizure, but that may have had something to do with the fact that I closed my eyes during that scene.

Chris
5th September 2007, 12:00 PM
i seen it on YouTube, made it full screen size, put my face up to the screen and repeated the scene 10 times in a row, not even a headache
Ultimate failure for several reasons.

1) YouTube
2) Fullscreen YouTube video
3) Episode quality
4) Computer

So what does this mean?

1) YouTube compresses videos when they're uploaded. They will never be high quality without some form of compressed visuals.

2) Compressed videos look like *** on YouTube. Fullscreen makes it worse.

3) Very few sources have a high quality recording of the episode. A majority of the uploads you will find come from OLD, VHS tapes that had been recorded from other tapes, thus weakening the quality. Only a minority of the uploads are the actual better quality.

4) You watched it on a computer. Things look much different on your computer than on a television set. Computer monitors don't display everything the same way a television set does. Also note that you're warned to watch episodes in a well lit room.

All in all, you didn't experience crap because you failed at it.

MondoTR
5th September 2007, 12:08 PM
I have the ep. The only thing that bugged me was not being used to their Japanese voices first time I watched it. LOL

TheTurquoiseTauros!
5th September 2007, 12:22 PM
I saw it, but it was slowed down alot more, 'cuz it was on youtube.

SudovVoOdO
5th September 2007, 12:54 PM
I'm afraid I'll be having a heartattack of this episode. Geez----

Legendary Raikou
5th September 2007, 3:17 PM
Yea ive seen it before, and nothing happened lol

veteran_PKMN_master_999
6th September 2007, 5:13 PM
Ultimate failure for several reasons.

1) YouTube
2) Fullscreen YouTube video
3) Episode quality
4) Computer

So what does this mean?

1) YouTube compresses videos when they're uploaded. They will never be high quality without some form of compressed visuals.

2) Compressed videos look like *** on YouTube. Fullscreen makes it worse.

3) Very few sources have a high quality recording of the episode. A majority of the uploads you will find come from OLD, VHS tapes that had been recorded from other tapes, thus weakening the quality. Only a minority of the uploads are the actual better quality.

4) You watched it on a computer. Things look much different on your computer than on a television set. Computer monitors don't display everything the same way a television set does. Also note that you're warned to watch episodes in a well lit room.

All in all, you didn't experience crap because you failed at it.
actually like I had stated earlier, it matters not if its on a comp. the fact is flashing patterns and fast lights like that whether their on youtube, low quality or not or on a comp. or television screen have little difference, the chances of a non epileptic having a seizure from these patterns is extremely slim even on a television set with all the lights off, the fact that 800 plus japanese children succumbed is because thousands were watching and the odds of some that little number of 800 plus in comparison to how many were actually watching is the odds, same as watching any video game or show with many flashing lights colors and patterns, im sure some were epileptic but most were not and regardless of what you view it on or the quality the chances of you having adverse side effects are slim to none if your non epileptic or have never had previous seizures.

phyzexxx
19th September 2007, 8:06 AM
No, I´ve watched it for 2 years and nothing has happened to me.

The Big Al
19th September 2007, 11:58 AM
Also, a small percentage of the population is affected by the light shift. 600 people is a small number compared to the enitre viewing audiance. So the likelyhood of you being affected is small.

But yeah, the computer screen doesn't give you the same as the TV. But the offical copy is locked away in some vault where it will stay until the sun explodes.

Though, I don't know why they couldn't edit out the offending effect and replace it with explosions or something else. I seen fansites do that. And worst part is Porygon and its line are condemned to never appear in the anime despite Pikachu being the one to cause the effect.

Sird
19th September 2007, 12:22 PM
I watch it, vomited, fainted, woke up in bed, found out I slept for 3 days.

ImJessieTR
19th September 2007, 6:30 PM
No seizures. However, I read somewhere that those kids had been susceptible to epilepsy, just not diagnosed until something triggered it. I see those types of warnings (about flashing lights) all the time on video games and such. Only if your brain is messed up will you get seizures from this. Youtube has nothing to do with it. What matters is how your brain takes overstimulation.

the total best!
20th September 2007, 2:09 AM
When i saw it, I was like all....to risky, so I went to the other side of my room and then watched it while it was in its normal size screen in the computer, and um nothing hapened.

Then i watched it again like I knew nothing about the episode, and notihng happened. although they were clips of the scene specifically, I think they slowed it down so that it woudnt give you a seizure.

But I can suspect it woudnt do anything, I mean it was youtube.

silverdragonlaura
20th September 2007, 4:09 AM
Im kinda scared to watch it. (but now that i read this forum i might watch it.)
im playing it safe though, im gonna make sure someone's in the house.

chamo-chan
21st September 2007, 4:40 AM
You know, i watched part of it on YouTube, was not as scary as I thought.......

Nathan Madien
21st September 2007, 4:49 AM
I have episode 38 on tape. I didn't notice anything unusual.

CharizardAngel
25th September 2007, 2:33 AM
I OWN this episode on dvd, but I was stupid enough to tell my mom about it, and she won't let me watch it.

CharizardAngel
25th September 2007, 2:38 AM
I read from the Maddie Blaustine thread that this ep. was dubbed and fixed so that it won't give you seizures, but never shown. I think it should be shown. After all, it's okay, and how many people will actually know that the Japanese version of this ep. gave people seizures, since it was like 10 yrs. ago.

Pancakes!
25th September 2007, 2:43 AM
i would...just cover your eyes lol

Rabid Jigglypuff
25th September 2007, 2:48 AM
I was borde w/ a friend so I turned off the lights, put it on full screen on my computer and watched it. :P. My eyes got all googly. XD

The-Crashing-Waves
25th September 2007, 5:31 AM
omg i am freaked out about this but i am goin to watch it!

The-Crashing-Waves
25th September 2007, 5:40 AM
...nothing happened to me lol

Gentleman Skeleton
25th September 2007, 5:44 AM
I've accually seen the seizure inducing episode with the lights off, sitting extremely close to the computer screen. Honestly, it did nothing to me.

#Gecko#
27th September 2007, 12:23 AM
Maybe the results are different if you actually watch it on TV, which is imposible.

BugLoverCody
27th September 2007, 1:36 AM
I watched it and nothing happened. I was a bit reluctant, but I gave it a shot.

LugiaGirl
27th September 2007, 1:43 AM
ive seen it a nothing happened to me

~Spacial_Rendation~
27th September 2007, 10:00 AM
I have watched this ep on a dvd, on a lcd T.V and still haven't gotten a sezurier but i read a thing on the internet having a reveiw with the cerator of pokemon (NOT U.S) saying that the rooms in Japanense houses are smaller so you have to hudle up to the T.V to get a good veiw. To see it you go to bulbapedia tpye in pokemon red/blue got to external link and the rest writes itself

Michii
28th September 2007, 12:10 AM
I'm freaked out about it, you know, afraid. If you can't tell, that means I haven't watched it.

Miss Rarity
28th September 2007, 12:16 AM
I watched it already... I liked the episode. I didn't get a seizure though.

veteran_PKMN_master_999
28th September 2007, 2:35 AM
the simple fact is regardless of what you watch it on youtube or tv in the original japanese version even with lower quality only if your one of the small percentage that would have a seizure will get it...it has nothing to do with being on youtube or a tv regardless

Raccario
28th September 2007, 2:51 AM
noy yet.

*goes to youtube*

Kim62
28th September 2007, 2:55 AM
I was but I got over it.

veteran_PKMN_master_999
28th September 2007, 2:56 AM
watched it the whole thing today twice in a row huddled up to the screen, full screen, lights off, flat panel monitor...still nothing, though i do get a little spacey afterwards

dd1zzle
28th September 2007, 2:57 AM
think about this...if the japenese are smart why would they put something with sezures in it?

dd1zzle
28th September 2007, 2:58 AM
think about it...the japenese are smart...do you think theyd make the same mistake twice? shoot I watch the episode on youtube like 10 times and I'm alright

dd1zzle
28th September 2007, 2:59 AM
think about it...the japenese are smart...do you think theyd make the same mistake twice? shoot I watch the episode on youtube like 10 times and I'm alright

veteran_PKMN_master_999
28th September 2007, 3:06 AM
think about it...the japenese are smart...do you think theyd make the same mistake twice? shoot I watch the episode on youtube like 10 times and I'm alrightbecause they didnt know it would, it was a chance happening just like the chances of getting a seizure from flashing patterns on any video game...the chances of a non epileptic having a seizure is extremely slim

Sableye King
28th September 2007, 3:20 AM
I am. I'm won't watch it just because a lot of people who have seen it have had nothing happen to them. Because apparently, it can cause seziures! It's different for each individual; one person could watch it 100 times and nothing will happen, but and I could be one of those that are affected by the lights. And honestly, why would people want to watch it to see if they could get a seizure? That doesn't sound like a very good way to spend an afternoon if it really does work.

Raccario
28th September 2007, 3:25 AM
I just watched it, it didnt give me a siezure, and i am fine, and liked the light show!

veteran_PKMN_master_999
28th September 2007, 3:31 AM
it was a very cool episode though...

MidnightTheMightyena
28th September 2007, 3:35 AM

Omg, there's just some bright flashing lights of blue and red that was said to have triggred seizures in most who watched it. ;262.

Dark Dranzer
28th September 2007, 3:56 AM
I'm not really concerned about myself, I can handle flashing lights well. But my Mum's got epilepsy and if she comes into the room when the episode's infamous "flashing lights" appear I'm worried if they'll trigger one of her epileptic fits. :(

veteran_PKMN_master_999
28th September 2007, 4:00 AM
they would most likely dude...be careful

Regan
29th September 2007, 2:31 PM
The second time i watched it i had a serious seziure, fell down the stairs that my tv was beside, broke my neck, and died.

~Spacial_Rendation~
3rd October 2007, 12:05 PM
HOW COULD YOU POST THAT IF YOU'RE DEAD!!!!! wait.... Are there computers in Heaven/Hell

Pwnbee
3rd October 2007, 5:19 PM
I watched it with some drunk friends.
They fell over laughing...at the fact that one of them fell over because he couldn't handle the "bright lights"

ShinyManafi
3rd October 2007, 11:07 PM
I don't really care, I'll watch it if I ever get the chance to.

gameboy
4th October 2007, 1:02 AM
I'm not affected by sezuires, so I would watch it, i'm just afraid someone in my family is, my mom or dad or grandma or something.

Scythe
6th October 2007, 6:11 PM
i just got hungry while watching the episode i dont know why i got hungry any way i solved that by have a snack ^_^

Scythe
6th October 2007, 6:53 PM
i just got hungry while watching the episode i dont know why i got hungry any way i solved that by have a snack ^_^

RagTag
8th October 2007, 2:46 AM
seeing as there not allowed to put stuff like that on you tube anymore is there any site/way I could still watch it?

veteran_PKMN_master_999
19th October 2007, 2:34 AM
you can still see it on youtube...

Ridley-X4
19th October 2007, 11:53 PM
I lol'd when I saw it for some reason.

beenachu
20th October 2007, 12:27 AM
Ah, I just watched the episode, no seizure.
Probably becuase the animation was too slow, and wasn't fast enough to actually cause a seizure.

CuddleyeeveeM
20th October 2007, 3:27 AM
A lot of people prolly werent affected cause I heard the scene was edited a little so the flash isnt as harmful. Truthfully I watched the episode, nothing happened, and only then found out it was the seizure episode. I just thought it was banned because america sees missles as weapons like that dratini epi.

nickstr
20th October 2007, 6:27 AM
I have watched that episode several times without incident only got a little disoriented because of the flashing lights but that is it and I don't suffer from epilepsy. That was a cool episode though I really liked the tech references in there such as Professor Akihabara and the visualization Ash had of a computer virus.

veteran_PKMN_master_999
7th December 2007, 6:07 AM
its a very cool episode aside from the seizure stuff

plasticeye87
7th December 2007, 3:35 PM
Not really I'm used to bright flashing lights by now since I've seen the crazy flashing robots page. (http://sseizure.ytmnd.com/) ;)